What do clubs consider when appointing a Manager?

Probably. but a lot of managerial appointments mostly confuse the hell outta me since they will sometimes go for completely unproven managers... or they will swap managers with another team.... annoyingly unrealistic at times. Most annoying example being Real Madrid with mourinho in charge until he retired... and then RM appoint an unproven young Turkish manager who has only managed turkey U19s..!!! And on top of that his manager stats are dreadful!!!

Probably. but a lot of managerial appointments mostly confuse the hell outta me since they will sometimes go for completely unproven managers... or they will swap managers with another team.... annoyingly unrealistic at times. Most annoying example being Real Madrid with mourinho in charge until he retired... and then RM appoint an unproven young Turkish manager who has only managed turkey U19s..!!! And on top of that his manager stats are dreadful!!!

You mean like when an ex sunday league player apply to Man U and then immediately accepted? Heck they even fire Sir Alex to make way for the unknown ;p

Happens regularly in my saves too, really annoying...

I dont know what they look for. I've got Neil McDonald at Liverpool promoted after Van Gaal left, hes doing a brilliant job btw and have got Joe Cole as Wolves manager another who got promoted from a coaching role after Simao got sacked, who was also promoted from Wolves coach before being manager.

Seems to me if the AI cant get their man, they just look for an "in house" appointment. Havent seen any random managers from say Accrington end up at Manchester United yet...

Also just resigned as Atletico Roma boss in 2031... Now 4th richest team in the world and there are also 4 world class managers in the world, one is me and one is unemployed... I resign and who do they appoint? A South African 38 year old unproven manager to take the reigns! Easily millions of better candidates out there!

Just had same - Regen manager, no experience made England Manager. Wasn't even approached for the job and I am the only English World Class manager! Stupid, the EFA would have approached a WC English manager before appointing anyone else!

I'm wondering this as well.

I started a save with Brazil, Spain, and Italy active. I started managing Flamengo in Brazil; won a gold medal with Brazil U23s, won 2 league titles, a state title, the Copa Libertadores, and finished second to Barca in the Club World Championships. When my contract at Flamengo ran out I decided to walk and move onto Europe. I applied to Udinese who laughed at me, same for Parma and Sevilla. It took me almost a year before I finally found a job as manager of Real Sociedad (which was only after I took the Norway job on). Every job I applied for was given to someone else with a CV that wasn't nearly as impressive as mine. Meanwhile Roberto Donadoni beat me out for 2 different posts over that time (Udinese and Parma). Donadoni Managed to get Parma relegated and has held 4 different managing posts since the start of my save. He keeps getting fired, and teams keep hiring, over me as well!

Managing an international team seems to help from my experience. I coached Verona initially, then after promotion from C1A got the Bologna (Serie B) job. Promotion achieved again, took over Cagliari who were in shambles and in the midst of a rough patch and saved them from being relegated, but what got me the big job was IMO probably having the international experience as Ghana head coach for 15 months. Wanted the Inter job, but their team was doing well, Juve on the other hand had just finished 7th and wanted a coach with attacking flair! Talk about tough choices!

manager appiontments in this game are just laughable, i mean mick mccarthy has to retire because he cant get a job. Slightly far fetched any championship team would hire mick. Sven Eriksson to no club wants him why not leicester are lower in table now than when he was incharge. very disappionmting

no its because you get unknown managers from abroad who keep getting these jobs its just silly and spoils the game for me. Like O'neill gets sacked at sunderland - which wont happen because hes a good manager. who for andres villas boas he would never work at a club like that.

the championship is the same it seems like if you are recntly sacked you just get the next job, ie big sam gets sacked at west ham, ends up at doncaster rovers.

must be something in game engine because it used to be pretty realistic. Its seems if you start the game and your unemployed and not engliah they dont work again.

happened with mark hughes, martin o'neill, before the patch. Now happening with mick mccarthy, sven gorgan eriksson.

I am still playing FM11. I remember one of my rivals (Lazio) signed a manager with a fantastic record, and what looked like great attributes. Well, he failed at the job miserably, I beat Lazio 7-0 early in the season, and they were the next best team in the league, going by ability. I don't think they ever recovered, and TBH I was kinda glad to see the guy get fired!!! And to know I had done my bit, too.

i no idea. i play 3 player online. but depite how average i do when my firends are doing only a little bit better than myself i always i always get offered a job i dont want even when there club is doing better than mine. im southmapton and get arsenal and villa and newcastle offering me jobs, i get elimated from cups quicker and won nothing so from my track record i shouldnt be approached. this is during 2nd season.

Well perfect example just happened. Tried to take the At. Madrid job as Napoli just fired their manager and so took the At. Madrid manager... guess who At. Madrid hire instead of me? The other world class manager that is unemployed? No? The manager that just got fired for failing miserably at Napoli... Even not hiring me because of the high compensation is inexplicable since they are "rich" and why you wouldn't want a CL winner instead of(the unemployed world class manager) is beyond me

I came across it too. Seem's weird to think you have all the agent inclusion and various other 'realistic' stuff and we have this? It gets worse every year lol, there's always some sort of issue. 1 I really hate is that you try and sign a big name player, you get an agreed wage per week etc, but the agent want's too much money and you cant afford it. Seem's highly unlikely to me that a player would turn down a move because of an agents fee not being met!

The one thing I really don't get is when an AI manager is doing a fantastic job at a club, say relegation candidates in the top half of the table, then they think its a good idea to leave the club and take over a relegation threatened club. Then the manager sacked from the relegation threatened club takes over the surprise package club. Unbelievable.

Utter shambles...

It's frustrating and disappointing to see how poor such an important aspect of the game, and the key factor to keep a long-term save challenging is, and how little effort has been put in it by SI.

Frankly it feels as if managerial appointment hasn't been touched since CM3 or something equally prehistoric.

You can have John Sackmore doing the rounds at every possible Top Club, failure after failure. Or you can have Joe Unknown landing a premier division job for no apparent reason. And rest assured there will be the usual merry-go-round every November-December and April, with managers playing the musical chairs game, with enough chairs [or benches, in this case] for everyone to sit again.

Last but not least, contracts mean even less than they do IRL.. which is saying a lot...

Only way to change club is jumping ship mid-season, forget planning, forget closure... Forget realism...

Good job SI, good job

Archived