Youth Academy Challenge - Lowestoft Town

Jpr

Full details of the challenge can be found here but in short I am trying to eventually win the champions league and premiership using products only from my youth system, starting with a newly promoted club to the BSN/S in the 2012/13 season.

I am just hoping I survive my first season...

I will be posting monthly updates and season summaries but at varying speeds depending on what the real world has to say!

2012/13 Pre-season

The facilities could be a lot worse but I will be looking to improve them quickly to give me the best players and training I can, without of course crippling myself financially.

lowestoftinformationfac.png

Luckily for me Lowestoft are predicted to finish 18th, above relegation, lets hope I can make this a reality.

lowestoftinformationgen.png

The squad has some quality in it, so hopefully I can get quite far with these original players and integrate in the youths as they arrive

lowestofttownteamreport.png

Aims for the season:

Survive

Integrate any good youths into the squad

Filter out bad player

Get some good and cheap coaches to the club

June/July 2012

We had little cash, an ok squad but only me and the ass man in the staff.

I organised two tournaments to get us some money in the bank which allowed me to feel comfortable signing a fitness coach as well as taking on a retired player as a coach.

Unfortunately my only goalkeeper is out for 2 months and so we are using grey goalkeepers for these pre-season tournaments and maybe even for the first games in the league.

Tournament 1:

I lined up a tournament with Burnley, Blackpool and Bradford.

Lowestoft 0 - 4 Burnley

First game in charge and I didn't expect much, the 5-4-1 I went with was defensive but still couldn't hold back the superior opposition.

Lowestoft 1 - 4 Blackpool

Pretty much the same story but with a 4-1-4-1 and we scored a goal from a set piece, morale is low.

Lowestoft 2 - 1 Bradford

We took the lead in this game, from open player as well. I opted to try and control the game using the 4-1-4-1 from the previous game. We then doubled our lead with a curling header from a set piece; the header was not from one our players, but I'll take it! Bradford went down to 10 men on 60 minutes and 2 minutes later we had a goal correctly ruled out for offside, it was a lovely move though. Bradford pulled one back in the 86th, easily cutting our tired defence right open but we held on for the victory.

We finished this tournament in 3rd, I'm sure you're all as surprised as I am with a huge £125,000 in gate receipts!! That is enough for 46 weeks of player wages paid for on our current total!

Our second tournament, although the more lucrative of the two was up against tough opposition, an upset here would be very unlikely. Bolton, Aston Villa and Blackburn were the visitors. 1 goal from 3 games would be enough for me.

Lowestoft 1 - 2 Bolton

We again took the lead which was strange, Michael Frew unmarked in the box to turn home a hopeful cross. Bolton then took advantage of our moronic regen goalkeeper who decided to help hold the defensive line, leaving a Bolton player to pass into the open goal, 1-1 at half time isn't bad though. We went 2-1 down late in the second half to a sublime bicycle kick, which I didn't mind losing to, especially when we took in £75 from the game.

Lowestoft 1 - 3 Aston Villa

3-0 down at half time, this is more like what I expected. Simply outdone by a much better side, though we did win the second half 1-0 haha. Another £80k in the kitty as well!

Lowestoft 2 - 5 Blackburn

We went in equal 2-2 at half time then conceded 3 after the 85th. They did deserve to win by that margin though. About £85k from that game, crazy money!!

We have £366k in the black, so with the finances secure hopefully our status in the Blue Square Bet North can follow...

Cefn Druids 1 - 4 Lowestoft

We were too good for our opposition going in 3-1 at half time, I thought it would be cricket scores when we scored 14 seconds into the second half but it stayed 4-1.

Soham 1 - 6 Lowestoft

The non-league opposition we are playing in friendlies now is fun, I like being the team thats scoring. Again we outclassed and I'm starting to get an idea of my best 11 together. I don't want to lose striker Michael Frew though, he is our top scorer against our terrible opposition.

Lowestoft 0 - Norwich 3

Again, no surprises. Getting close to the start of the season now and pre-season has been ok, could have been a lot worse anyway.

August 2012

A good start to the month saw our Junior coaching get an increase!

screenhunter01apr011733.jpg

Heybridge 1 - 1 Lowestoft

Our last preseason match saw us come against the lowly Heybridge, who we could only match, and only then because of their 10 men, not good with the next game being the first of the season.

Blyth 0 - 2 Lowestoft

Our keeper was still a week away from match fitness so we went into our first game with a dreaded grey goalie...

We went out to control the game and did so easily in the first half, scoring in the 2cnd minute and again on 40.

The second half finished all even so a 2-0 away win was a brilliant start.

Lowestoft 1 - 4 Nuneaton

Our first home game was against Nuneaton in a disgusting pink kit, we opted for a more attacking style infront of our own fans.

This paid off with us going ahead from a penalty early on before conceding an equaliser before half time, we then conceded right after half time, we definitely need to work on defending set pieces.

We then got a centre back sent off with half an hour to go and conceded a third, again from a set piece with their 4th coming from a ball right over the top.

Hyde 2 - 4 Lowestoft

Back away and back to a defensive counter formation, they went ahead after 2 minutes so not a great start, made worse by conceding from a set piece 2 inutes later when my goalkeeper punched a simple catch into the goal.

We pulled one back on 15 minutes when their keeper also punched in, this time from a corner, giving our taker a direct goal. Frew pulled us level with a superb solo effort.

We then went a head when centre back Matthew Halliday nodded in a corner and made it safe at 4-2 when Frew grabbed his second.

Lowestoft 0 - 2 Stockport

Lying in 17th Stockport didn't look too tough, with terrible morale as well so I fancied our chances here.

We again played defensive despite home advantage but with the first half being terrible and ending 0-0 I risked playing more attacking football.

We went 1-0 down soon after, attacking football just isn't our thing yet I don't think.

They sealed the deal on 75 minutes to win a match that was actually quite even.

It looks like we play a lot better away from home, feeling sorry for our 91 season ticket holders!

League table

September 2012

After a hit and miss start to the season I wanted to hopefully find some form.

Hednesford 1 - 0 Lowestoft

First up was fellow promoted side Hednesford, despite dominating we went in for the break at 0-0.

We conceded on 85 minutes, which happened to be their first shot on target. We had 7, to say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

Lowestoft 3 - 3 Gaubsborough

Up next were highflying Gainsborough, who had only lost once so far. We went ahead through Frew mid second half but they equalised just before the break thanks to some stupid defending.

We both scored once more in the first 15 minutes of the second half to set up a potentially exciting last half hour with big centre back and captain Greg Crane getting his 2cnd goal on his return from suspension to give us the lead, until we got caught on the counter and conceded which ended the game 3-3.

Harrogate 0 - 5 Lowestoft

Harrogate were second having lost 1 and won 5, we were up against it from the start but went ahead against the run of play with a screamer. A simple cut back allowed us to make it 2-0 though we still looked unstable at the back.

Greg Crane got his 3rd in 2 games before a late penalty gave us a goal cushion that even Lowestoft couldn't lose. We even added a 5th with Frew getting his usual goal.

Lowestoft 2 - 0 Droylsden

Next up were top of the table Droylsden, making our first home win look very unlikely indeed.

That was until scott mitchell got his 5th of the season early in the first half and an own goal on 70 minutes gave us a 2 goal lead to secure the points and our first home win.

In the second qualifying round for the FA cup we were drew away at Canvey Island.

Lowestoft 0 - 4 Colywn Bay

Again at home but this time against low lying Colwyn Bay, we conceded an early goal and also a penalty before half time, we had chances but the ball just wouldn't go in.

They scored 2 more after the break, 4 shots on target and 4 goals for the visitors where we had squandered 6 shots on target. Consistency would be nice.

Eastwood 0 - 0 Lowestoft

Away to lowly opposition but it was a boring game we probably should have won, happy to get a clean sheet though.

FA Cup 2cnd Qualifying Round

Canvey Island 0 - 1 Lowestoft

With our main striker Michael Frew suspended for picking up too many yellows this task seemed daunting.

Replacement striker Jamie Forshaw got lucky from range early on though to give us a 1-0 lead going into half time.

After the break they really went for it but somehow we managed to hold on for a very unconvincing 1-0 win.

We have drawn Southport from the BSN in the 3rd qualifying round, a tie I am not looking forward to.

League Table

I would just like the team to find some form, we can beat most teams on our day but it's frustrating losing to relegation candidates and beating promotion candidates. Though as long as we avoid relegation I'm happy.

You could teach my teams a thing or two about inconsistency, and that's saying something!

Tell me about it! Hope you Don't mind me basing my update layout on yours. Will get fully up to date with your thread tonight.

Should get to at least Christmas tonight, probably not to the youth intake though :(

October 2012

Southport 2 - 0 Lowestoft

We got to play them in the league before the cup and went behind in the first minute.

We never recovered, conceding again before half time and mustering 1 shot in the first half.

The second half was an improvement but we couldn't rescue a point here.

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying round

Lowestoft 3 - 1 Southport

I viewed this as a must win game so we could meet our target of the 4th qualifying round for the cup.

Team morale is really low so a win would be nice.

We wasted many opportuinities early on and it was 0 - 0 at the break.

We went ahead through top scorer Scott Mitchell, rising high to head in at the back post.

Southport went on the attack but we caught them on the counter to make it 2-0 through Michael Frew.

Southport pulled one back on 80 minutes to set up a tense finish but again we caught them on the counter and forced an own goal.

3-1 final score.

The 4th Qualifying round is away at BSPs Ebbsfleet, a tough tie indeed.

Lowestoft 6 - 0 Hinckley

Hinckley are 5th in the table but as our form has shown, this could well mean a victory, but I wouldn't count on it!

We took the lead after a minute through a freak goal from Frew, then they lost a man to a straight red in only the 5h minute. We grabbed another on 20 minutes and a third on 27.

We went in 3-0 up at the break after a first half of top draw football.

A Hinckley own goal and a Halliday header made it 5-0 after 60 minutes before we lost key winger Ainsley to injury, for 4 months!

A superb passing move was finished off my substitute striker Forshaw to make it a whopping 6-0.

Alfreton 1 - 1 Lowestoft

Alfreton lined up very defensively at home so I set out to try and control the game, experimenting with attacking tactics has yet to work so I am unsure why I am trying again.

We conceded to a set piece after a terrible attempt at the offside trap but equalised soon after through Scott Mitchell.

1-1 at half time but we could easily have been ahead.

Alfreton dominated the second half and I was happy for it to end 1-1.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Ebbsfleet 2 - 2 Lowestoft

We went into this high on morale and went ahead after 10 minutes through Frew, running onto a long ball and lobbing the keeper in style.

Unfortunately we conceded 15 minutes later, the defence could have done better with it but then took the lead again from a first time strike that flew into the top corner.

We then conceded a header from a corner in first half injury time, annoying that this happens when we are working on defending set pieces.

We gave it a good go and forced a replay, though that won't help our league form.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay

Lowestoft 0 - 1 Ebbsfleet

A win would see us play home to BSP outfit Truro.

We dominated the first half but couldn't make the most of it.

We were punished at the start of the second half, again conceding from a corner.

They lost a defender to a red card, sent off for injuring our key striker Michael Frew, his substitute was poor and missed a couple of chances.

Cup run is over but we pushed Ebbsfleet hard.

League Table

We're moving up but I wouldn't bet on us staying there, we have good goal difference thanks to some freak results though.

Michael Frew with 8 goals in 16 games is out for 3 months now, times are looking tough.

November 2012

Chester 3 v 1 Lowestoft

Chester had come up and gone straight up near the top, currently in 6th, though that means we should beat them?

We held out till the 40th minute but equalised just before half time through Frews replacement.

They scored (from a corner, of course) in the second half and again in the 70th minute to seal the win at 3-1.

We have been drawn away to BSS side Bishop's Stortford, no idea what to expect!

Lowestoft 4 - 2 Wokington

We opened the scoring, with a brilliant own goal after 5 minutes. Our utility forward Jamie Forshaw then equalised with a good solo effort before we took the lead from a good team goal.

We both scored once more to take us into half time at 3-2.

Reserve midfielder Erkan Okay scored an okay goal (i'm so hilarious) before getting injured, leaving the game to finish 4-2.

FC Halifax 1 - 1 Lowestoft

Injuries and fitness are proving problematic so an away tie isn't good, even to a team 8 places below us.

Our fatigue showed after half an hour with a defensive lapse giving them the lead.

We did pull one back though and even threatened to win at times but it remained 1-1 to the end.

Lowestoft 1 - 1 Vauxhall

Dubbed a relegation must win despite us being 13th and vauxhall 18th this was the sort of game we need to win.

a game of few chances which we should have won for our possession, yet it still ended 1-1.

Lowestoft 0 - 2 Solihull Moors

Up against the top team, not expecting much!

First half was even in terms of gameplay yet they came into the break 1-0 up.

Not long into the second half our lone striker got sent off with a straight red meaning we sacrificed a midfielder to try and rescue the points, it didn't work and the game finished 2-0.

Lowestoft 0 - 1 Redditch

We went into this game with no recognised strikers due to a combination of injuries and suspensions, this made us lose a game we otherwise would have won.

League Table

We're slowly sliding down after a terrible month, we need a striker back fit as soon as possible.

December 2012

FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying round

Bishop's Stortford 2 - 0 Lowestoft

I didn't mind what happened as long as it wasn't a draw,I'm not sure we could take another fixture.

We held out till the 70th minute when a defensive error let them in to score. They then scored a second late on after some good build up play.

We put up a good fight but I'm glad to have no more cup fixtures.

Guiseley 1 - 1 Lowestoft

We really needed to kickstart our season and sooner rather than later, hopefully this would be the game.

We held up well enough in the first half, probably even being the better side but weak defending once again left us a goal down soon after the break.

I risked an attacking change and it paid off with us levelling on 65 minutes. However our more attacking play left us open, it was probably fair that it finished even.

Lowestoft 0 - 2 Histon

We had a striker back but we still don't seem to be capable of putting our chances away.

0-0 at half time but we were 2-0 down after a quickfire double after the break, which we couldn't recover from.

Lowestoft 2 - 2 Blyth

The home repeat of one of our first games, which we won 2-0 away.

We quickly went 2-0 down but in the second half we managed to fight back to a 2-2 draw.

Nuneaton 3 - 1 Lowestoft

With our terrible run of form the last thing we needed was a trip to second place Nuneaton.

We tried different tactics and it paid off after 14 minutes when we took the lead, we then immediately gave away a penalty which put Nuneaton level.

Our keeper then fumbled a simple header to gift them a goal that gave them a lead.

As soon as we went behind we crumbled conceding to a good passing move.

League Table

2 points from 4 games is shocking. We need to improve and quickly. 3 points from the relegation zone is not a good place to be.

January 2013

Lowestoft 3 - 1 Hyde

We made so many chances but it took us till the 30th minute to break the deadlock.

We went 2 up after the break from a corner and even added a 3rd late on from open play before conceding ourselves from a corner.

Our first win in way too long and hopefully it gives us some good form.

Lowestoft 3 - 0 Hednesford

This game looked a good opportunity to get a run of form going and we did go ahead after 23 minutes with some classic route 1 football leading to a goal.

Our reserve striker even added a second goal before scott mitchell arrowed in a 3rd from a tight angle.

2 wins in a row, what is this?

Stockport 3 - o Lowestoft

3 good results in a row was a dangerous ask but I was optimistic.

How very wrong I was, We again conceded from a corner right at the start of the game and it was downhill from there on in. We couldn't plug the leak and conceded 2 mre stupid goals.

To add insult to injury Scott Mitchell got injured, only for 3 weeks thankfully but it will take it's toll on the squad.

Gainsborough 2 - 0 Lowestoft

My hand was forced into bringing Frew back into the fold prematurely.

We conceded after 55 seconds and again 10 minutes later

We were on the backfoot for the whole game, it could have been very embarrassing indeed.

Lowestoft 2 - 1 Harrogate

Harrogate had us on the backfoot from the start but a stonewall penalty gave us the lead on 25 minutes.

In the second half we grabbed a second easily but they pulled one back in the 75th minute.

We held on to keep the points.

League Table

3 wins from 4 may have rescued our season, for now anyway. The youths come in a month or two hopefully they can revitalise my season. 4 points isn't a big gap, we need to steer clear.

wow, I managed to hammer out 5 months in a row :D Youth intake will be coming soon ;)

Febuary 2013

Droylsden 1 - 0 Lowestoft

The last time we played we won 2-0, could a repeat be possible?

The first half was even, either side could have taken the lead, this continued into the second half but it was heartbreak when they scored in the 86th minute to win 1-0.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 Eastwood

We welcomed back some players from injury to play bottom of the table Eastwood, hoping for a victory.

The game was even but we eventually scored, in the 84th minute, with Frew getting his first goal in months.

Crucial 3 points against the bottom team.

Colwyn Bay 2 - 0 Lowestoft

Colywn Bay are all the way down in 21st, 11 points behind us. I really do hope we can win this.

Apparently not, we were bowled over easily with 2 first half goals.

Lowefstoft 2 - 2 Southport

We'd beaten them at home once already this season, in the cup that time though, let's hope for a repeat.

They scored early on but we equalised with a long range volley from centre back Greg Cane just before half time.

Southport went ahead after a good passage of play, though I must say our goalkeeper is shocking.

Greg Crane grabbed a second, this time a simple tap in after a corner to make it 2-2.

League Table

We're only 3 points above the relegation zone so these last 10 games will be crucial. Thankfully we seem to be gaining enough points to keep the gap, as small as it is.

Youth Intake day!

lowestofttownyouthcandi.png

No real defenders at all which I'm quite annoyed about but Ronnie Edwards below could make the first team quite soon.

ronnieedwardsyp01overvi.png

Richard Kerritty also looks like he could maybe turn into something special.

richardskerrittyp02over.png

March 2013

Hinckley 2 - 2 Lowestoft

With our first game from our last 10 being again Hinckley, level on points with us, we needed to perform.

Hinkcley scored in injury time of the first half, we equalised only a minute in to the second just to fall behind again from a corner 2 minutes later.

Fisk then got his second goal of the game, a 25 yard screamer to even it up again.

A draw was of use to neither team, but we'll take it.

Lowestoft 1 - 3 Alfreton

The earlier meeting ended in a draw, hopefully home advantage could guide us to a win.

We went down to a superb curling effort from range 20 minutes in. A player in this division has no right to score that goal.

After a reshuffle at half time Fisk equalised for us, he's really been a key player recently.

Not that it mattered when Alfreton scored another wonder goal, my goalkeeper is really good at standing still.

They then converted a penalty to win 3-1.

Vauxhall 0 - 1 Lowestoft

We are in the relegation zone by goal difference, Vauxhall are out of it by 1 goal. A big game for both sides.

The first half ended 0-0 as we managed to miss two sitters, Fisk again popped up though in the second half to score a tap in.

Vauxhall kept on pressuring after this and we wasted yet more opportunities on the counter.

We held out for 1-0, could be so so crucial at the end of the season.

Lowestoft 1 - 2 Chester

With 13 places between us any points from this match would be a good result.

Despite being at home we went out to counter, dominating early play and most of the second half, which finished 0-0.

They scored from a corner though 2 minutes after the break, forcing attacking changes.

It changed the game and we dominated, but Chester scored again, a header from a free kick to make it 2-0.

We pulled one back to make it 2-1 in the 79th minute but we couldn't get another.

They had 3 shots and scored 2 goals, we had 12 and scored 1 of 4 clear cut chances!

Workington 1 - 3 Lowestoft

A team we have only 1 more point than and one I feel we should definitely be winning, I held a team meeting before the game and it improved morale to almost good!

We lost Scott Mitchell early on to injury before both teams missed easy chances. On the stroke of half time Fisk played Frew through who cooly finished to the bottom corner.

Workinton then equalised from a long range effort our keeper should never have let in.

Luckily his blushes were spared as Fisk popped up from close range to put us back infront with 25 minutes left.

They got a straight red late on before Frew scored from a goal mouth scramble from the resulting free kick.

League Table

With 5 games left and only 5 points separating 8 teams all fighting to avoid 1 relegation place it's getting tense. I hope we can survive but with Scott Mitchell out for around 2 months and our other winger Stuart Ainsley for 3 weeks, the Workington victory was very costly as they will certainly be missed.

April 2013

Lowestoft 0 - 2 FC Halifax

After a draw earlier in the season I was hoping for at least the same result at home to them.

Our attacking style however backfired when caught on the counter, though this is no excuse for our keeper watching the ball roll past him to the Halifax striker.

Halifax got a second from the spot after a dubious penalty decision, they deserved a second goal though.

Luckily nobody gained ground on us at the bottom.

Solihull Moors 1 - 1 Lowestoft

The last thing we needed was an away trip to second placed Solihull Moors but thats what we had.

This is a game I had already marked down as lost points so any result would have been welcome.

They scored after 10 minutes though and set the tone for their domination of the game, we managed a whole 1 shot in the first half.

We did well to keep it to 1-0 and started to get into the game in the second half, we got a very much surprise leveller in the 81st minute and took a crucial point away from home.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 Guiseley

Guiseley being only one point ahead of us games like this are crucial, points over relegation rivals will be a big help.

We dominated early play and really should have made it count, but we couldn't and it finished 0-0 at half time.

We went ahead early in the second half through a lucky deflected shot by Frew.

Relegation avoided!!! 7 points clear with 2 games left

Redditch 3 - 0 Lowestoft

This is the game I had down as the big one but we managed to get a surprising amount of points, I still want a result though.

We were 1 down by half time in a game of few chances. In the second half we lost Greg Crane to a red card.

Our defence was stretched after this and we conceded 2 more in quick succession.

A very disappointing game.

Histon 2 - 2 Lowestoft

The last game of the season and I handed a debut to Ronnie Edwards, not that I expected too much on his debut.

We took the lead through an own goal and we returned the favour for them to equalise.

We then scored another own goal for them to take the lead, Michael Sealey grabbing his second goal of the game...

For the first real goal of the afternoon the Histon left back got a wonderful assist in the form of a terrible back pass.

A very odd game but a point none the less.

Season review to follow...

End of season report

So we managed to avoid relegation, leaving it extremely late though.

Fixtures 1

Fixtures 2

Final Table:

bluesquarebetnorthoverv.png

From our squad it is easy to see who our key players were; Mitchell, Frew, Crane & Fisk, which shows why we struggled so much without them when they were lost to injuries.

lowestofttownsquadplaye.png

One good thing to draw from the season was our finances, with our pre-season tournaments seeing us through the season with more than enough to spare.

Link to finances

Targets for next season:

Consolidate our position in the league, finishing clear of relegation.

Integrate some youth into the squad and get rid of the dead wood.

Get some coaching increases with pre-season friendly money.

Congrats on survival, top effort!!!!

What kind of style are you playing? Long ball direct attacking, or running the ball forward at the midfield and defence?

I played a mix style of football with the main aim being to not concede many, our defending outfield is ok it's just set pieces that catch us out!

Our 4-1-4-1 is set up to play long balls to the lone striker or to counter attack and our 4-4-1-1 is set up to try and bring our wingers into play, a little more build up compared to the long ball.

If we're desperate we play a 4-1-3-2, which at times works but against the stronger teams it really shows our weak points.

To be honest neither worked too well and I'm going to try a few more, finding a teams formation can make so much difference, I think I might try the humble 4-4-2 :D

Pre-Season 2013

Targets for this season:

Consolidate our position in the league, finishing clear of relegation.

Integrate some youth into the squad and get rid of the dead wood.

Get some coaching increases with pre-season friendly money. - Upgraded to adequate junior coaching, end of july 2013 :D

Our squad was threadbare so not many left, hopefully we will be able to cut down next season, or even in January if the youths are coming good.

We organised another hopefully money spinning tournament, Barnsley, Blackpool and Brighton were enough to give us TV coverage so the money was again very good for us.

Lowestoft 1 - 1 Blackpool

Fisk put us ahead quite surprisingly after only 7 minutes, a good team goal.

We could have made it 2-0 ten minutes later but missed a sitter.

In the 80th minute we lost Scott Mitchell to injury, luckily only a short term one

Blackpool then equalised in injury time to finish it 1-1.

Lowestoft 1 - 1 Barnsley

Both teams started well, moving it around with pace and making chances, the first half finished 0-0 though.

Greg Crane saw a straight red in the 72cnd minute and Barsnley scored the resulting freekick.

Dale cockrill then scored a free kick for us only 2 minutes later to make it 1-1, the final score.

Lowestoft 1 - 2 Brighton

Winning this game would win us the tournament, somehow, so I was hopeful.

Unfortunately we went behind after 5 minutes to a good goal from former Valencia man Vicente!

Ainsley gave them a second with an own goal.

We pulled one back with a good goal with half an hour left and the game finished with us losing 2-1.

We took in around £280k from the tournament, which should see us through the season.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 Cambridge C

With the money spinning friendlies out of the way, I organised some smaller friendlies to try and get the youths performing with the first team.

Not all went to plan though with first half ending 0-0 after bad performances from both teams.

We started the second half well and scored early on from a corner. It ended 1-0 with average performances all round.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 King's Lynn

A boring first half where we could have scored, 0-0 at half time.

We took the lead through Frew, assisted by YP02 Skerritt.

We won 1-0 but we really should have made our domination count.

Lowestoft 3 - 0 Cornard

We managed to score in the first half for the first time in a while, all be it through a freak own goal. Off the defender off the post and then off the goalkeeper into the net.

We went in 1-0 up because of that goal and added a second on the hour.

Ronnie Edwards YP01 missed the chance for his first goal when he put a penalty against the bar.

We made it 3-0 from a corner before Richard Skerritt YP02 missed a penalty as well.

Maybe I should give up on the youths for a while haha.

Lowestoft 2 - 0 Chelmsford

In our last friendly of the season we again played well against bad opposition, this time scoring in the first half again through original youth player Michael Sealey, a good and developing centre back.

Frew made it 2-0 shooting into an open goal from range after their keeper came forward for a corner.

August 2013

Hednesford 3 - 0 Lowestoft

Our first game of the season was away at Hednesford, we were without captain Greg Crane though.

A boring first half ended 0-0 before they scored from a corner on the hour.

We conceded a second through an own goal before they scored a sublime lob over our keeper.

3 - 0 is not the start to the season I had in mind.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 Gainsborough

We went out to attack, hopefully avoiding another embarrassing result.

Both teams had chances in the first half but it ended 0-0.

They had a goal disallowed for offside after the break but we managed to score in the 85th minute despite Gainsborough dominating the second half.

Stalybridge 1 - 0 Lowestoft

They had just been relegated into the division and still had a fairly strong squad, this showed with them scoring after 15 minutes.

We got ourselves into the game after the break but we just couldn't get a goal back.

Lowestoft 1 - 0 Blyth

A first half came and went without incident and the second half was going the same way until the 81st minute when Ainsley was gifted an easy finish to give us the win.

alfreton 1 - 0 Lowestoft

Alfreton were placed in 20th so a result was possible here. There were no shots till the 25th minute, a clear cut one we wasted.

The first half ended 0-0 and they then went ahead after 65 minutes, we made attacking changes but we couldn't change the result.

League Table

A mixed month where I actually feel we should have picked up more points. Hopefully we can keep this up and maybe even improve.

September 2013

Lowestoft 0 - 0 Bury Town

I wasn't sure what to expect from a team who had secure back to back promotions to be in this league.

We definitely had the best of the first half but just couldn't get a goal, very frustrating indeed.

11 shots and 1 on target says it all, 0-0 result, we really need someone to step up.

Hinckley 1 - 0 Lowestoft

Hickley had started well, including a 4-0 demolition of the Bury Town side we couldn't score against, it wasn't promising.

We lost ainsley to injury after 20 minutes which left us with an awkward line up. We gave away a penalty 5 minutes later which they converted.

We went into half time not even having had a shot before losing a centre back to injury, having used all 3 subs already.

Somehow our make shift defence held out to only keep it to 1-0. The team is self destructing and I need to reverse it before morale hits rock bottom.

Lowestoft 3 - 1 Harrogate

A team who were actually lower in the table and at home, a very winnable game.

Somehow they got possession from the kick off and scored in the first minute, I just don't understand how we do it.

Luckily we were level 5 minutes later with Frew finishing a good move.

They were the better team before the break but we went in at 1-1.

Veteran midfielder Cockrill then scored a sublime chip from way out, it pleases me to see our goalkeeper isn't the only one with a mential deficiency.

Frew then got his second of the game with half an hour left which put the game beyond Harrogate.

We were drawn at home to East Thurrock in the FA Cup 2cnd Qualifying Round.

Lowestoft 0 - 4 AFC Telford

Above us, but a game we could maybe win.

We had 3 chances in the first 5 minutes but then went behind to a set piece before the first 10 were up.

They doubled their lead through an odd backwards header from outside the box and then added a third from a square ball.

3-0 down at half time was shameful but we still struggled to create chances after the break.

We conceded a fourth from a corner in extra time, 4-0 is terrible.

Boston Utd 2 - 1 Lowestoft

We were both hovering above relegation but after our last game I was not expecting much at all.

We packed the midfield, which i hoped wouldn't leave us too vulnerable to wing play.

It seemed to pay off with us scoring after 10 minutes after good play in the centre of the pitch.

Our defensive midfielder Erkan Okay then managed to make a sliding tackle so powerful it sent the ball into the back of our own net at improbable speed, 1-1. We then did concede from wide play, 2-1 Boston at half time.

The game finished at that result, much to my disappointment.

Lowestoft 5 - 2 Guiseley

I was at a loss as how to line up for this game so went for something new, we sent out a team that had managed 4 goals between them all season, not such a great statistic.

Erkan Okay made up for last games mishap by somehow scoring a similar goal for us, before one of their defenders cooly side footed a cross into their own goal. Our goalkeeper then fumbled a shot to gift them a goal, 2-1 at half time.

They scored a 35 yard peildriver to make it 2-2 before Frew popped up to head home after our right back hit the bar.

Captain Greg Crane and his partner at the back Michael Sealey then both headed home from corners to make it 5-2?!

League Table

I beleive our consistency issue has been raised before but wow, that month really was something.

October 2013

FA Cup 2cnd Qualifying Round

Lowestoft 7 - 2 East Thurrock

An 'easy' game for us, not that I'd trust our boys to win.

We scored after only 8 minutes, a fabulous strike from the edge of the box from Scott Mitchell.

Frew added a second only 10 minutes later with a first time volley running onto a clearance.

They then pulled one back, all too easily, before Frew got his second of the game with a good solo effort.

They then got another of their own to make it 3-2 which left me more than nervous going into the second half.

Last seasons saviour Fisk then got injured before Frew completed his hattrick to hopefully secure our progression.

This was secured only 2 minutes later when Frew took an easy chance to get 4 for the game.

YP Ronnie Edwards then scored an absolute screamer, his first proffesional goal, to make it 6-2/

They then gave us an own goal, meaning we were the right side of a 7-2 win!

I don't care if it was against non-league opposition, Ronnie Edwards YP01 scored his first goal and 'bossed the midfield' :D

We were drawn away to Whitby in the 3rd Qualifying round, a game we should win with ease.

Stockport 0 - 0 Lowestoft

After scoring 12 goals in our last 2 games it was back to reality, away to 7th placed Stockport.

We matched them in the first half with no moments of brilliance from either side, 0-0 at the break.

They really started to push in the second half but again, nothing. 0-0 finish.

Lowestoft 0 - 2 Redditch

Redditch were sat in 21st, this is the kind of game we really need to always win.

We did really well in the first half, until Sealey got injured (luckily only for 3 weeks) which was immediately followed by Rockrill scoring a comical own goal involving our goalkeeper and one of the posts...

At the start of the second half they then got a player sent off, somehow we couldn't make the extra man count.

In our search for a goal we managed to concede a goal from their lone striker who scored from a stupid distance whilst our goalkeeper simply watched.

I just don't get how we throw away games like this!

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Whitby 3 - 1 Lowestoft

Last games result didn't give me hope for this important cup game.

They were on top for the first 30 minutes but we went ahead against the run of play with a headed goal from a corner.

Annoyingly they managed to score right after the break with a header from a corner.

They then scored a second goal when our goalkeeper spilt a soft header from another corner in to the bottom corner.

They made it 3-1 when our set piece set up failed us once again.

I don't understand how we can concede 3 goals from set pieces to non-league opposition when our match preparation is set to very high on defending set pieces constantly. Also when it is set up so everyone is back marking players or on the posts.

I am not happy, not happy at all !!!

We shouldn't be losing games like that, not in a million years.

Vauxhall 1 - 1 Lowestoft

I was hoping for the team to bounce straight back after a terrible defeat last time out.

For once we seemed to have some luck, getting a penalty just before half time, thankfully Scott Mitchell converted it.

Frew hit the post in the 88th and then from the counter they equalised. 1-1 finish.

League Table

A terrible month with the low point being the embarrassing defeat to non-league Whitby. Hopefully we can somehow be better next month.

November 2013

Lowestoft 2 - 0 FC United

A key game against lowly FC United. We did well in the first half making many chances, even converting one to give us the lead at half time.

However they improved after the break and after a needed reshuffle to spare some players the schedule we struggled after half time. Thankfully an own goal put us 2-0 up with 20 minutes left.

Nuneaton 0 - 0 Lowestoft

A good victory is followed by a visit to 3rd place Nuneaton, not good news.

We almost conceded several times in the first ten minutes and despite them hitting the woodwork 3 times we held out till half time.

We held out for the full 90 minutes, I was very surprised they didn't score but I will take the 0-0.

We were also drawn away to Nuneaton in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA trophy, not the best draw possible at all.

Southport 2 - 1 Lowestoft

A bigger test of our defence was this trip to top of the table southport.

Again we were the lesser team, but again we held out for the first half.

Largely against the run of play, Frew put us ahead with 30 minutes left, running on to a hopeful clearance over the top.

However the loss of our only comfortable left back 10 minutes later meant a big switch up and left us exposed, we conceded from a set piece with 5 minutes left.

We then conceded from another set piece in the 7th minute of injury time.

I'm almost disappointed, but I know I shouldn't be.

Frew reached a yellow card limit, so we are without our best striker and our left back for the next game.

Lowestoft 0 - 2 FC Halifax

The fixtures and injuries are piling up with a very much makeshift team selected.

We conceded early after 2 of our defenders and our goalkeeper competed for a high ball and it simply fell for the opposition to slot home.

Scott Mitchell then missed a penalty (Think Charlie Adam style!) which meant that despite us probably being the better team we were 1-0 down at half time.

I was hoping we'd start the second half well, we didn't conceding again only 3 minutes in after a terrible offside trap.

It was an even game but our bad finishing really showed.

Lowestoft 3 - 4 Hyde

The 3rd game this week saw us put 2 midfielders in defence, this obviously wasn't working too well as we conceded on 15 and 20 minutes, not good.

Their striker then completed his hat trick with a penalty in only the 28th minute, grabbing his 4th in the 30th.

We pulled one back on the 55th minute and then another on the hour. Was the comeback on?

Forshaw then scored an inspired solo effort with only 10 minutes left to make it 4-3.

Unfortunately we couldn't manage one more goal, our first half performance was still terrible though.

FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Nuneaton 2 - 1 Lowestoft

A game it would be nice to win, but not one I really cared too much about, I just want to be safe in the league.

We conceded to a good team goal just before half time, though the first half was even.

We scored one apiece after the break, not enough to carry us through but a valiant effort.

League Table

Really close to dropping into the relegation zone now!

December 2013

Altrincham 1 - 1 Lowestoft

Another trip to the 3rd placed team didn't bode well with our atrocious form.

They dominated the first half and this showed in the match stats at half time, though we kept it to 1-0.

Despite their dominance we equalised in the 70th minute.

A result that saw us drop into the relegation zone on goal difference.

Lowestoft 3 - 0 Hednesford

Hednesford were also in a bad vein of form and a home victory was long overdue.

We got some luck after 15 minutes with their keeper heading in after it hit their bar. YP01 Ronnie Edwards then split their defence to get a superb assist for our second goal.

Ronnie Edwards YP01 then played a superb one two with Frew before powering home from distance, 3-0 at half time.

The game finished 3-0, a good result for once and it makes me happy to see a youth player making the difference.

Gainsborough 1 - 0 Lowestoft

We were out of the relegation zone, on goal difference so this was a good opportunity to make good progress against a team we've done ok against in the past.

Though we were without Scott Mitchell who was injured and suspended for the game.

We lost the game, despite having the best of them for most of the game, quite a let down.

League Table

We're in the relegation zone but I don't necessarily think we deserve to be, We have conceded nearly half the amount of goals as the team below us...

January 2014

After only 3 games in December the fixture list didn't look at all fun for January with not many weeks giving us a break.

Lowestoft 3 - 1 Droylsden

The first game was against Droylsden in 16th, a win could see us leapfrog them, all the way from 20th.

We went up after only 6 minutes from a corner but they equalised just before the break.

Forshaw then put us back in the lead after he wrongfooted the keeper.

Ainsley then scored a screamer to make it 3-1.

Lowestoft 2 - 2 Stalybridge

Another game we could win, we were in 18th and Stalybridge only 3 points ahead in 14th.

We were dominated in the first half and went in two down but came out looking better, pulling one back through Forshaw with half an hour left.

We were then denied a penalty, a very dubious decision indeed.

Halliday then powered in from a corner to make it 2-2.

A good come back for the point.

Lowestoft 2 - 1 Alfreton

It's only the 10th of January, we've already played 3 and had 1 postponed!

I was hoping we could maintain our unbeaten month against one of the few teams below us in the table.

It was a good start with us pressuring a lot, we made it count with Forshaw putting us ahead after 10 minutes minutes.

It went into the break like that and stayed at 1-0 till the 80th minute when Cockrill made it 2-0 with a lobbed effort.

We are now 16th in the table! Though only 5 points clear of relegation still...

Bury Town 3 - 0 Lowestoft

4 Points and 4 places above us were 'fierce rivals' bury town, the team I assumed would most likely end our so far unbeaten month.

A defensive mix up gifted them the lead as two defenders kicked the ball at eachother allowing their striker to slot home.

The second half didn't start well, we went 2-0 down only 25 seconds in.

We had chances but didn't take them, conceding a third moments before the end of the game.

Nice to see our consistency returning...

The fans weren't too impressed with this performance against our rivals!

Blyth 3 - 0 Lowestoft

A match that was postponed earlier in the month, away at 4th place Blyth. I'm not looking forward to this.

They should have been 3 up in the first 10 minutes and we did well to hold out till the 33rd minute when they opened our defence all too easily.

We lost our left back to a straight red card not long after the break and soon after we conceded a second and a third before having a consolation disallowed as it was offside.

We love losing 3-0 away.

Lowestoft 2 - 3 Hinckley

The board decided to make this a fan day, at home to 6th place, not the best idea if you ask me.

Morale in the team was terrible and they had the better of us in the opening exchanges of play, scoring after 96 seconds and again on 10 minutes, and again on 20 minutes.

We pulled one back before half time with a good goal from Forshaw with Frew then scoring another for us just before the break.

5 shots 5 goals from the first half.

A disappointing second half ended 0-0, 3-2 isn't too bad for a fan day I guess but I would have liked some points.

League Table

7 points from a possible 18 isn't a good tally from a busy month. I'm looking for at least 50 points, at least. So that leaves us needing 20 points from 14 games, something which I think we will manage.

I was a bit of an improvement.

Well this isn't...

Febuary 2014

AFC Telford 2 - 1 Lowestoft

A bad run wouldn't be helped by a trip to 2cnd place.

We held out and even competed for quite a while, we then managed to concede twice just before half time, not a fair reflection on our performance.

We pulled one back with 20 minutes left through Greg Crane, climbing well from a corner.

Unfortunately our winless streak continued, not that deserved anything else.

Harrogate 1 - 1 Lowestoft

A trip to second bottom however was more our style, hopefully we could get something here.

It started off as one of 'those' games, with us turning into our own goal after only 6 minutes.

We did up our game however, equalising before half time through Frew, Ainsley got himself sent off with 35 minutes to go, so we did well to hold on to the draw.

Lowestoft 4 - 2 Boston Utd

Boston were one of only 4 teams below us, lying in 20th, so a home win isn't too out of the question surely?

As usual there was a goal in the first 10 minutes, though for once it was in our favour, Scott Mitchell converting a penalty.

Michael Frew added a second in only the 14th minute and then squad player Henderson added a 3rd before half time.

Scott Mitchell scored another penalty after the break before Boston Super Sub Ekra scored 2 in quick succession to leave it at 4-2 with 20 minutes left.

We kept our lead after the lapse, 4-2 is a good result for us.

Guiseley 3 - 0 Lowestoft

We were struggling from the start, conceding in 10 minutes as usual!

We had 1 shot in the first half, an absolute sitter that Frew missed, we were made to pay when they got a second that rolled all too slowly past our keeper.

Our left back then got himself sent off and we were outnumbered everywhere, conceding a third before the end of the game.

Lowestoft 2 - 5 Stockport

Although Stockport were 9th a home fixture always gives me a bit of hope.

Surprisingly we went ahead, Ainsley arriving at the back post at the right moment to slot home.

It was 1-1 by the 9th minute, with them scoring an almost identical goal.

They were ahead by the 13th minute, heading home from a corner.

Our keeper then scored a lovely own goal, running out way too far to collect a corner, one of our defenders then kicking at his back and into the goal.

Scott Mitchell then got 1 back from the spot.

They went down to 10 men with half an hour left but still managed to score a fourth and then a fifth.

League Table

10 games left and we're 3 points safe, not ideal and I doubt we will get the amount of points we did last season, we really are struggling.

Youth Intake!

lowestofttownyouthcandi.png

so two players get the YP tag this year.

The first being Ronnie Lockett YP03, a player who will probably go right into the starting 11 which should hopefully see him develop,we have been in dire need of a half decent left back who can play without getting sent off all the time.

The second player is not necessarily the best, but I think he will be the most useful, Taylor Good YP04 , this is because he is a goalkeeper, and we have really needed a reliable goalkeeper at times this season, so if he can develop he could be a good player for us.

Anyone with over 4* gold star potential and 3* silver star current has been signed for squad cover and to play in the youths and reserve teams.

Not a bad intake. The two Ronnies eh?

YP01 was Ronnie Edwards...

I now have the two Ronnies and a substitute :D

I've started selecting the teams for the reserves and U18 games, it takes longer but it means I can give the right people game time, hopefully helping their development.

We also just won a relegation 6 pointer against Vauxhall thankfully.

March 2013

Redditch 2 - 1 Lowestoft

Redditch were only 16th but were in good form.

It started evenly but they drew first blood, heading home from a set piece after 15 minutes.

Greg Crane got himself sent off after only 30 minutes so we were really up against it after that. They scored again just before the break.

However after the break we somehow got back into it, playing well and forcing an own goal in a spell of good pressure.

It ended 2-1, they deserved the win.

Lowestoft 3 - 0 Vauxhall

A must win game against a struggling Vauxhall side also lingering around the relegation zone.

We won in style, 3-0. An own goal, a header from a corner and a direct free kick.

It wasn't pretty but it will do!

FC United 3 - 3 Lowestoft

A team we had a massive 17 more points than, even away we should be winning this!

Frew gave us the lead early on and we could have got 1 or 2 more before the break.

Annoyingly they equalised just after the break, once again with a header from a corner!

Frew grabbed his second with still half an hour to play.

Surprisingly we got a third, even more surprisingly was that it was winger Stuart Ainsley with a header.

Our defence switched off and in the 65th minute they made it 3-2.

Then in the 89th minute they scored after a long ball eluded our goalkeeper and dropped over his head.

The guy is a moron!! 3-3 final score.

Lowestoft 1 - 2 Southport

After playing bottom away we played top at home, I would take another draw but I'm not sure what to expect here.

The game was open to start with and the first half ended 0-0.

After the break we took the lead, for once we were the ones scoring from a corner, Michael Sealey connecting with a diving header.

Unfortunately they equalised not long after with a good counter attack, maybe we should have sat back and defended...

We then chased the game and they found a second goal, Ronnie Lockett YP03 taking too long in the box and losing possession.

League Table

Flirting with relegation as always, hopefully we can make it though we have some tough games to come. 4 points away from the group ahead of us and 4 away from relegation, it could be close!

Good step towards survival.

If you were talking about the supposed 2-1 victory over southport, I got that the wrong way round, they beat us 2-1!

Will hopefully finish the season tomorrow...

Having a problem in that last years 2 YP tagged players are both refusing to enter negotiations on their expiring contracts, hopefully they will talk to us before they leave for free.

Archived