Clwb Pêl Droed Aberystwyth

SirToby

With inspiration from JackJCFC's Carmarthen game I started with Aberystwyth from the Welsh Premier League a few weeks ago. I have just finished my fifth season and what a great season it was. First some information about Aberystwyth (June 2016):

Year Founded: 1884

Estimated Value: £2.200.000

Stadium: Park Avenue (capacity: 5000 (1200 seated))

Training Facilities: Adequate training facilities

Youth Facilities: Adequate youth facilities

Youth Recruitment: Limited youth recruitment

The club has just turned professional which I have been waiting for. I can now finally offer full time contracts to my players which will help me a lot. The reason the club has gone professional is undoubtedly because of a fantastic fifth season. Here is a summary of my five seasons:

Season 2011/12

League: 1st (W17 D10 L5 P61)

Europe: None

Cups: Welsh Cup Semi Final, League Cup 1st Rnd

Prize Money: -

Aberystwyth was predicted a place in middle of the table so it was very satisfying to win the league in my first attempt. We were on fire right from the start with maximum points after eight league matches and we ended one point ahead of Carmarthen.

Season 2012/13

League: 2nd (W18 D6 L8 P60)

Europe: Lost 0-3 on aggregate against Molde in the Champions Cup Qual. 2

Cups: Won Welsh Cup, Quarter Final in League Cup

2012/13: £318.557

Aberystwyth in Europe! We had not much to say and Molde won without big problems. Neath had a fantastic season in the league and ended with 72 points but we won the Welsh Cup after a penalty shoot-out against Neath.

Season 2013/14

League: 2nd (W22 D6 L4 P72)

Europe: Lost 3-4 on aggregate against Dinamo Buc. in EURO Cup 3rd Qual. Rnd

Cups: Welsh Cup 3rd Rnd, Won League Cup

Prize Money: £232.917

After a win 4-3 win over Vojvodina from Serbia in the 2nd Qual. Rnd we ran out of luck against Dinamo Buc. I could not complain after our win against Vojvodina. I was satisfied with that but once again Neath were too strong in the league ending two points ahead of us.

Season 2014/15

League: 1st (W21 D8 L3 P71)

Europe: Lost on away goals after 4-4 on aggregate against Hajduk in EURO Cup 1st Qual. Rnd

Cups: Welsh Cup Final, League Cup Semi Final

Prize Money: £94.443

I was left extremely frustrated after our exit to Hajduk. We lost 0-3 in Croatia but we had chances to get at least a draw. At home we were 4-0 in front at the break and we had loads of chances to make it 5-0 or 6-0 but in stead of that Hajduk got an away goal and were through to next round. Disappointing. We finally won the league against though after a tight, tight run-in. Neath ended with 70 points.

Season 2015/16

League: 1st (W24 D6 L2 P78)

Europe: Finished 3rd in EURO Grp K with Lazio, Ajax and FC RB Salzburg (W1 D1 L4 P4)

Cups: Won Welsh Cup, League Cup Semi Final

Prize Money: £3.069.230

What a fantastic season. After a comfortable 5-2 win over HB from Faroe Islands we had to difficult games against the Danish team FC København and I did not expect anything from my players. They were sensational and gave me a fantastic 6-3 win on aggregate. In the 3rd Qual. Rnd of the Champions Cup TPS from Finland waited. After a disappointing 1-1 draw at home we won 4-1 in Finland and were ready for two playoff games against Red Star. After a 3-1 surprise win in Wales we missed a great chance for qualifying for the Champions Cup with a 5-1 defeat in Serbia. I was proud of my players who were ready for the group stages of the EURO Cup. We made two astonishing results: 1-1 against Lazio at home and a 2-1 win against Salzburg in Austria. Four points and a 3rd place. I could not complain at all. We won the league without problems.

Awards for the 2015/16 season

Footballer of the Year: Gareth Bale (Tottenham)

Young Player of the Year: Alex Nicholson (Aberystwyth)

Player of the Year: Michael Doughty (Aberystwyth)

Top Goalscorer: Declan Wilkinson (Aberystwyth)

Welsh Premier League Young Player of the Year: Ryan Foley (Aberystwyth)

Finally, here is my finances which got a great, great boost after the fantastic fifth season.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like your working wonders at Aberystwyth :) Brilliant season!
Making good progress so far :thup: Your latest season was pretty good in europe, hopefully you can really start to build the squad with that money. Good Luck!

Thanks, both of you. I too thought my fifth season was a bit of wonder, getting results against Salzburg, Lazio and FC København. It was really surprising. I do not hope it will take too long before I am back in the group stages of Europe.

July - August 2016

Four signings was made through the summer before our European adventure once again took its beginning. We were entering in the second qualifying round and we got Renova from Macedonia.

Champions Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Aberystwyth 3 - 1 Renova

Though we were underdogs I expected to go through and we got a great starting by winning 3-1. The win was never in doubt and it was a little disappointing that we did not win by a bigger margain.

Renova 0 - 1 Aberyswtwyth

A more even match where we did a our job. I was happy to go through without any big problems.

Champions Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Aberystwyth 4 - 1 Dinamo Bucharest

Bucharest beat us in 2013 with 3-4 on aggregate why we had a chance for revenge. Led by one of my profiles and last year's top scorer, Declan Wilkinson, we got a fantastic result by winning 4-1.

Dinamo Bucharest 2 - 3 Aberystwyth

As against Renova, the second leg was much more even. With a goal from a corner early on we got a great start, but I got my worries when the Romanians before 20 minutes was in front with 2-1. Luckily, Bucharest ruined it for themselves by getting two players sent off before an hour of play and Wilkinson could seal our place in Champions Cup playoff where Rangers are waiting. We have before beaten FC København and Salzburg why I have a few hopes that we can make another sensational result.

August 2016

Champions Cup playoff

Rangers 5 - 0 Aberystwyth

I had hopes of a surprise result but after this match in Scotland I knew it was over. Rangers was a lot more effective in front of goal. I was more than happy with my team's performance if you look away from our sharpness in front of goal and we were especially good in the start of the second half where we should have scored at least once.

Aberystwyth 0 - 5 Rangers

Rangers killed every little bit of hope here. Again, we had two clear cut chances but I could not complain. Rangers was the far better team over these to games. We are now in the EURO Cup group stages for the second time in a row and I think we have had a great luck in drawing Zürich, Metalist and Stuttgart. All teams are of course better than us on paper but I think we will get some points.

September - October 2016

EURO Cup Group B

Zürich 1 - 1 Aberystwyth

Great start. After a frustrating own goal from my defender, Burke brought us back in the game and overall it was an even match. Zürich is maybe the weakest team apart from ourself so it was important not to lose.

Aberystwyth 3 - 3 Metalist

This was a fantastic result. Through the match I learned that Metalist have some great players in Jonathan Cristaldo, Jose Sosa, Taison and Sebastian Blanco and when we went down 1-3 after 16 minutes I thought it was over. But we fought us back in the game and with a little bit more luck we could have won the game. With this result we were second in the group.

Stuttgart 3 - 0 Aberystwyth

I did not have too high hopes for this match and in front of nearly 44000 Stuttgart took a fully deserved 3-0 victory. Eight of my players were injured for the game, amongst them some of my profiles and we are fighting a lot with injuries at the moment. Maybe it is because I have signed full time contract with most of my players and they now are on a lot harder training schedule.

November - December 2016

EURO Cup Group B

Aberystwyth 0 - 2 Stuttgart

Our injury problems had developed in the negative direction and I had only two players on the bench for this match. As expected Stuttgart was the better team and I could not complain. It could have been a lot worse.

Aberystwyth 3 - 0 Zürich

Though still missing a lot of players to injuries we did fantastic here. Though another two players got injured through the 90 minutes we won the game with the comfortable result 3-0. It was an even match but we were a lot more effective in front of goal. With the victory we were still in play for the second place. A win over Metalist would mean that we would take their place in the top two.

Metalist 4 - 0 Aberystwyth

But we did not stand a chance in Ukraine. Though the injury situation was beginning to lighten up, Metalist was just a lot better and their players are a class or two better. We took a satisfying third place in the group with five points. One point better compared to last season.

Aberystwyth

Season 2016/17

Welsh Premier League

Third championship in a row and once again without any problems. Ended 19 points in front of Llanelli and scored 93 goals. My summer signing, Eric Broaders, played a big part in the league with 12 goals and 20 assists.

Welsh Cup

A walk in the park. When Neath equalised after 50 minutes in the final we conceded our first Welsh Cup goal this season. After being extremely ineffective in the first 90 minutes, we found the sharpness in extra time where we scored four times. My third Welsh Cup trophy.

Loosemores League Cup

No problems at all here either. Carmarthen was taken apart in the final.

Europe

Another satisfying season in Europe. We improved in terms of prize money because of an extra draw in stead of a defeat compared to the 2015/16 season. Next season I would like us to go through to the Champions Cup group stage.

Profiles of the season

Declan Wilkinson - Top scorer for the second season in a row. His last season was better but I was still satisfied with his contribution of 27 goals.

Eric Broaders - Great debut season. 25 assists was fantastic.

Troy Brown - 11 goals as a defender is impressive. Important player.

Finances

Prize money: £3.154.746

Balance: £4.180.585

We won a bit more prize money this season but we used a lot more money on player wages. I can feel that the club has turned professional. We are now dependent on success in Europe. The club have just used about £300.000 to improve our youth facilities which is good.

July - August 2017

Aberystwyth 6 - 0 Birkirkara

I quickly realised that Birkirkara was not going to be any challenge for my team. They were ran over.

Birkirkara 1 - 3 Aberyswtwyth

Job finished.

Aberystwyth 1 - 0 HJK

We were the far better team but we could not exploit our chances and it ended with a small 1-0 win which gave me some nerves before the second leg.

HJK 0 - 4 Aberystwyth

Fortunately, we found the sharpness in Finland. HJK had a little more to say this time but we were again the better team and we deserved to go through to the playoffs. New signing Fergal Healy continued his great start in the club with a hattrick.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 0 – 2 FC København

I could not believe this result. We controlled the game totally and should have won comfortably. FC København scored on their first shot and they continued their effectiveness in front of goal by scoring on their second or third chance in the beginning of the second half. A very, very disappointment result when you look at how well my team played as a underdog.

FC København 2 – 1 Aberystwyth

A had my hopes of a comeback when Hunter scored early in this match but FC København continued where they ended the first leg by being the far more effective team. What a great chance we had to get into the Champions Cup group stage. We missed it.

September - October 2017

EURO Cup Group J

Aberystwyth 2 – 2 Metalist

We have been drawn into a group with Metalist, Atlético Madrid and Partizan. I think we have changes against Partizan but the other two are strong opponents. This was a great result though. Like last year, Metalist took the lead early in the match but once again we made a great comeback to get one point. It was en even match and I was satisfied with that.

Atlético Madrid 4 – 1 Aberystwyth

I was proud of my players after this match. We scored a goal in Spain and I actually think we were the better team in the first half and we should have been in front at the break. Unfortunately Atlético showed their class in front of goal and secured a 4-1 win.

Aberystwyth 4 - 3 Partizan

It is against Partizan that we shall get our points and luckily we got all three points in this game. The match was a little bit too tight at moments but when Wilkinson scored to 4-2 I knew the points were home.

November - December 2017

EURO Cup Group J

Partizan 0 – 2 Aberystwyth

This was a great performance. Partizan did not have a lot to say and we were creating many chances. We got a deserved 2-0 win and were now on seven points, the same as Atlético Madrid and Metalist.

Metalist 2 - 1 Aberystwyth

We went in front early on and it was very frustrating to see Metalist equalise quickly on their first shot of game after 20 minutes. I was happy with my players’ performance in this match and it was shame that Metalist should score with 20 minutes remaining and that we missed some great chances late in the game. A draw would have been fantastic and my players’ effort was very good.

Aberystwyth 0 - 7 Atlético Madrid

Because of injuries in my defence I had to play a left wing at left back and it was actually him who scored an own goal early on. Madrid killed the game inside the first 20 minutes and when I got another defender injured after 25 minutes I knew that we were going to get hammered. It was a bad way to end our season in Europe but I could not complain over the seven points we got. A third place in a difficult group was satisfying.

Aberystwyth

Season 2017/18

Transfers - Former Blackburn keeper Jason Brown was brought in to be my new number one and he did a great job with 14 clean sheets in 30 games. Brett, McCann and Humphries were players to strengthen my squad's width and they did well and will also be here next season. In the winter transfer window I used a lot of money to get Greg Biggs from Premier League club Burnley on loan for 18 months. He is now one of my best players and I hope he can help the club into the Champions Cup group stages. I also signed a right winger Fergal Healy at the end of the 2016/17 season (why he is not in this screen shot) and he did very well.

Welsh Premier League

My best league performance so far. As expected we were totally superior and won the championship in the 26th round.

Welsh Cup

Bangor City beat us on penalties in the semi final after we had stormed their goal for 120 minutes. We created five clear cut chances and ten half chances but it was not enough. Bangor City got a very lucky win.

Loosemores League Cup

Did not have any interest in this cup and we were quickly beaten.

Europe

We left the Champions Cup in a frustrating way but we did well in the EURO Cup group stage where I could not expect more than a 3rd place. Next year I want us to qualifier for the Champions Cup.

Profiles of the season

Declan Wilkinson – Again our top scorer with 25 goals. Key player who started in all games in Europe.

Fergal Healy – New signing who played fantastic from the beginning and quickly won the spot on the right wing.

Graham Burke – 21 goals and 14 assists. Impressive season from the former Aston Villa player.

Finances

Prize money: £3.210.146

Balance: £5.200.169

July - August 2018

Aberystwyth 1 - 0 Levadia

Not the greatest of performances but we the far better team and should have a got a bigger win but I did not have any worries.

Levadia 1 - 2 Aberyswtwyth

Again, we should have got a bigger win. But we were through but I had my worries about my players' sharpness.

Rapid Bucharest 3 - 1 Aberystwyth

My worries about my players' sharpness in front of goal got worse after this game. As against Levadia, hunter missed a penalty and it was difficult to accept that we lost 3-1 when we had three clear cut chances against Rapid's zero.

Aberystwyth 4 - 3 Rapid Bucharest

Entertaining game where our inefficiency peaked. With 27 shots including 10 half chances and six clear cut chances we should have won this game by a bigger margin. But Rapid was through to the playoffs thanks to efficiency.

EURO Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Luzern 3 - 1 Aberystwyth

In a league game against Ton Pentre, £150.000 loan signing Greg Biggs had got injured and would be out for five months. Very frustrating when we were about to play European football. It was an even game where I once again thought we missed a lot of chances. We made it difficult for ourselves. This was not a great result and I had big worries before the second leg.

Aberystwyth 2 - 0 Luzern

What a crucial own goal from Luzern! Very showing for our sharpness in front of goal: We needed some help from our opponents. But we were the better team and deserved to go through. We are in a group with Standard, Sporting and Rennais.

September - October 2018

EURO Cup Group J

Aberystwyth 3 - 2 Standard

When leading 2-0 we got a player sent off but anyway we extended the lead to 3-0 with 25 minutes to go. Standard went close in the last minutes of the game but we won 3-2 which was a great result. Fantastic start on the group stage.

Stade Rennais 2 - 1 Aberystwyth

I could not help but to be a little annoyed that we did not get a point in this match. 1-1 with 20 minutes to go we had a chance to get a great point in France but on the other side Rennais was the far better team and got a deserved victory.

Sporting 1 - 1 Aberystwyth

What a shame. 1-0 with 15 minutes to go and against 10 players we should have hold on to our lead. Sporting was better though and one point in Portugal was fantastic. Four points after three matches, two of the them away from home, was very satisfying.

November - December 2018

EURO Cup Group J

Aberystwyth 0 - 1 Sporting

An even game with Sporting being a little better and also getting the victory. A shame as we could have got one point.

Standard 6 - 0 Aberystwyth

With this performance we could not expect to go through or getting the 3rd place in this group. I had hopes of getting points after our 3-2 win over them in the 1st round but Standard smashed us.

Aberystwyth 1 - 2 Stade Rennais

We should have got one point and it was disappointing that we did not. Rennais was more than satisfied with their late goal securing them a place in the next round of the EURO Cup. With four points we ended at the bottom of the group, with Sporting getting eight points. Standard and Rennais went through with nine points each.

Aberystwyth

Season 2018/19

Transfers

There was actually none of these who played a big part in this season but they were great squad players. But not the best of seasons when it comes to transfers.

Welsh Premier League

After 10 wins in a row we ended with two disappointing 1-1 matches but there was never any doubt that we were going to win the championship. Second best Carmarthen gave us a little competition beating us two times in the league. But our run-in was fantastic. TNS have been awful since I started and this year they got relegated.

Welsh Cup

A walkover cup tournament this year only conceding two goals in five games and winning them all without problems.

Loosemores League Cup

My reserves were good enough to win me the trophy which was satisfying.

Europe

Massive disappointment to go out of the Champions Cup in the 3rd qualifying round. After a satisfying start with a win over Standard and a draw with Sporting we ended the group stage badly.

Profiles of the season

Eric Broaders – With an average rating of 7.93 in the league he was player of the year. 21 goals and 15 assists was very satisfying.

Fergal Healy – Owns the right wing. 19 assists was fantastic.

Ryan Foley – Big shame that he did not want to stay. With nine goals he was not just great in defence. He is unfortunately off to Inverness on a free transfer.

Mary Hunter – Maybe my best player. He controls the midfield with great passing. 15 assists was very good.

Declan Wilkinson – Top scorer for the fourth season in a row. His total is still decreasing though. Going from 30 goals 2015/16 to 23 this season.

Finances

Prize money: £1.665.847

Balance: £3.316.348

Not a good season for our finances. We suffered under our defeat to Rapid Bucharest in the 3rd qualifying wound of the Champions Cup. We have just used £1.200.00 to improve our youth facilities.

July - August 2019

Aberystwyth 3 – 0 Sant Julià

Sant Julià from Andorra should never be any challenge for my team and they were not.

Sant Julià 0 - 6 Aberyswtwyth

Fergal Healy finished Sant Julià off with his fifth goal against them. Through to the next round.

Zeljeznicar 0 - 2 Aberystwyth

After two great games from Healy he mad a mistake here by being sent off after only 13 minutes. It was therefore very satisfying that we won the game 2-0.

Aberystwyth 1 – 1 Zeljeznicar

I got a bit nervous when Zeljeznicar scored after 24 minutes. But Borrowmans equaliser in the second half was a big relief and an even game ended 1-1.

Champions Cup playoff

Maribor 0 - 1 Aberystwyth

We were seeded for the playoff games and I was happy with the draw. We could beat Maribor and we got a great result in Slovenia. It was an even game and it was good to se my players finding sharpness in front of goal at this stage.

Second leg to follow...

September - October 2019

Champions Cup Group A

Porto 0 – 0 Aberystwyth

What a marvellous start to the Champions Cup for Aberystwyth! The Champions Cup semi finalists from 2014 and 2017 could not break us down and we won one point in front of 43.000 in Portugal. I could be nothing but satisfied.

Aberystwyth 0 – 0 Stuttgart

We kept Stuttgart away from big scoring chances and that was the satisfying thing in this match. Another clean sheet in the Champions Cup and another £347.000 in prize money for a draw.

Aberystwyth 1 – 3 Marseille

After an unlucky first half where Marseille scored from two corners we won the second half which was sensational. Marseille is the team with the fifth best coefficient so this result was definitely no shame. After three games matches we are now number three in the group, one point in front of Porto.

November - December 2019

Champions Cup Group A

Marseille 5 - 0 Aberystwyth

We were totally run over. They are and were just the better team.

Aberystwyth 1 – 2 Porto

Points in this match could mean extremely much and when Pontus Uppling brought my team in front after only nine minutes I had great hopes of at least one point. Unfortunately, we could not live up to our fantastic start and Porto went on to win 2-1.

Stuttgart 4 – 0 Aberystwyth

I could not expect to get anything from this match and when we went down 2-0 after only 10 minutes I knew it was over. We created a clear cut chance but nothing more and the Germans got a deserved 4-0 victory. Aberystwyth’s first experience in the Champions Cup ends with two point and that is actually quite satisfying.

Table

Aberystwyth

Season 2019/20

Transfers – We could not hold on to Ryan Foley, Alex Nicholson and Declan Wilkinson who were signed by Premier League clubs from Scotland. I tried a lot of times to offer the best I could for Wilkinson but nothing was good enough. My top scorer from my last five seasons therefore made a big step up the ladder with his move to Celtic. And it looks like I will lose a few my profiles now: Marty Hunter and Fergal Healy do not want to extend their contracts and Eric Broaders is already off to Hibernian.

I myself signed a few for the future. Lennert Pederson is 19 years old, Martin Whing is 18, Steve Worthington is 17 and the others are not more than 21 years old. I hope they will develop greatly in this club.

Welsh Premier League

Not the most superior season in the league but still there was no competition for us. New signing Kristian Pulis went on to be my top scorer in the league with 10 goals.

Europe

Breakthrough in Europe! We did not have the big troubles in the qualification but in the group stage we just went down to better teams.

Profiles of the season

Fergal Healy – With 12 goals and 19 assists Healy was my best player this season. He offers great pace on the right wing.

Derek Lawless – Lawless is much the same as Healy; a quick winger. With 15 goals he was my top scorer this season.

Carl John – I was satisfied with John’s 20 assists and hope he will develop further more.

Finances

Prize money: £7.000.088

Balance: £6.558.448

By far our best season when it comes to finances. £7 million in prize money is fantastic and our balance is twice as large as last year. We have just used another £1.200.000 to improve our youth facilities.

Good couple of draws early on, shame you couldn't get any more.

Yeah, with the start I had you could have hope for a bit more.

excellent story mate i also have a save with aber just finishing my first season tho.

Great to hear, good luck!

July - August 2020

Aktobe 0 – 4 Aberystywth

New signing Jesper Wiklund made a good contribution as we took a comfortable lead before the second leg.

Aberyswtwyth 3 – 2 Aktobe

I used some of my reserve players for this match and we managed to win. Aktobe was no challenge for us.

Aberystwyth 5 – 0 Buducnost

Like Aktobe, Buducnost neither looked like a challenge for us. We controlled them completely and got a fantastic 5-0 win. Wiklund continued his great start at the club.

Buducnost 0 – 1 Aberystwyth

The job was finished in a boring match.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 3 – 0 BATE

I was very satisfied with this result. BATE did not score and we scored on our chances. We could not miss the chance for a ticket to the Champions Cup group stage for the second season in a row now…

BATE 4 – 1 Aberystwyth

This was very nervy! When Gabriel Mete equalized in the first half I thought we were through. But as my players were ineffective in front of goal, BATE scored on their chances. When BATE went 4-1 in front with 20 minutes to go I feared the worst. Fortunately, we held on and went through on our away goal. Fenerbahce, Manchester United and Atlético Madrid are waiting in the group stage – not an easy group. Fenerbahce smashed Real Madrid out of the tournament with a 7-1 victory at home in the qualification.

September - October 2020

Champions Cup Group A

Aberystwyth 1 – 3 Fenerbahce

We did not get the best start and were trailing 2-0 after only 13 minutes. We got better in the second half but is was not enough to get a point.

Manchester United 2 – 0 Aberystwyth

71.000 at Old Trafford – this was maybe the biggest match in Aberystwyth history so far. United was ineffective and it was satisfying that we only lost 2-0 in this very difficult match. Giant Kristian Pulis owned Chris Smalling and Phil Jones in the air not losing one single header.

Aberystwyth 1 – 4 Atlético Madrid

Not a great game from my players and the Spaniards were just much better. Our chances for just one point in this group look very small now.

November - December 2020

Champions Cup Group A

Atlético Madrid 3 - 0 Aberystwyth

Atlético dominated us even more in this match and got another deserved victory.

Fenerbahce 2 – 1 Aberystwyth

This was an acceptable result. In could not complain after only losing 2-1 where Real Madrid lost 7-1.

Aberystwyth 2 – 5 Manchester United

Not that bad a performance scoring two goals against the English giants from Manchester. This was a difficult group and we never went close to get points. But I could only be satisfied that we were in the group stage for the second season in a row. That is important.

Table

Aberystwyth

Season 2020/21

Transfers – I did not realise that we got £425.000 for Healy. That was nice when he now had to leave. It was not a great summer transfer window for us and I thought our squad was weakened. But I am very delighted with my latest signings. Hendrik Scholz, Felix Gege and Markus Segerström look like great players who have to improve our squad.

Welsh Premier League

My eight championship.

Europe

We went close to what would have been a very disappointing Champions Cup exit but we made it to the group stage where we got slaughtered. I hope to improve the squad so that in next season I can get my first Champions Cup win.

Profiles of the season

Derek Lawless – Player of the season with 13 goals and 24 assists.

Carl John – Constantly improving and this season he got 23 assists.

Ray Brett – Strong forward who is great in the air. My top scorer this season.

Kristian Pulis – Another big and strong forward who scores goals for me.

Jesper Wiklund – Fantastic goal scoring record from the right winger. Great debut season and he did especially well in Europe.

Rok Pavlovic – Bossing my defence.

Finances

Prize money: £6.372.572

Balance: £6.673.610

No points in the Champions Cup group stage meant a decrease in our prize money compared to the previous season. Our balance has also decreased which is because we just have paid £3.500.000 to improve our training facilities.

July - August 2021

Aberystwyth 4 – 1 Renova

We had the opportunities to a lot more than a 4-1 victory here but we were so much better than Renova that I did not have any worries before the second leg.

Renova 1 – 3 Aberystwyth

As expected, no problems.

Aberystwyth 1 – 0 Sarajevo

I had hoped for some more but we did not play especially well and with a 1-0 win we were far from having secured a ticket to the playoffs.

Sarajevo 0 – 5 Aberystwyth

Luckily we found the sharpness in front of goal here and we slaughtered Sarajevo. New forward Hendrik Scholz scored for the third time in four matches.

Champions Cup playoff

Aberystwyth 9 - 0 Wisla

Unbelievable result! Have to be one the best games in Aberystwyth history. Wisla was favourite but we totally ran them over. New players Scholz and Segerström played fantastic.

Wisla 2 - 1 Aberystwyth

Another great performance but Wisla was the effective team and won 2-1 but it did not matter after our 9-0 victory in Wales. Through to the group stage for the third time in a row! FC Bayern, Chelsea and Zenit are waiting.

Hat off to you mate, ive been following this story for a few weeks, more a lerker than poster but yesterday I started as Aberystwth and well first 10 games I lost 1 and won 9 so was sitting a point behind neath well next 12 games I lost in a row and got sacked!!!

think ill stick to the reading of this great team now

If it wasn't for the group draw I'd have said that after the Wisla showing you'd be on course for a far better CL showing this time. Still might against Zenit.

Think I have a chances against Zenit. Just look at my upcoming post... ;)

Hat off to you mate, ive been following this story for a few weeks, more a lerker than poster but yesterday I started as Aberystwth and well first 10 games I lost 1 and won 9 so was sitting a point behind neath well next 12 games I lost in a row and got sacked!!!

think ill stick to the reading of this great team now

What a shame. Great to hear that I have inspired you, you should maybe give it another shot! :)

September - October 2021

Champions Cup Group A

Aberystwyth 3 – 2 Zenit

Thanks to a late set piece goal from Lennart Pedersen, Aberystwyth got their first ever Champions Cup win! A very important result if we are to take the third place as I can see Zenit lose their matches against FC Bayern and Chelsea.

FC Bayern 3 – 0 Aberystwyth

In the last quarter of the first half the Germans won this game. I expected to lose and could not complain.

Chelsea 2 – 0 Aberystwyth

We had absolutely nothing to say. We did not have one single shot so I could only be satisfied with the fact that Chelsea only scored two times when they were so dominant.

Archived