The height of your keeper...

Generally, as long as he isn't so slow he barely moves or so clumsy he's ****, i go for the biggest keeper i can. It the last FM there was a wonderful regen that was 6' 9" and he had the handling and agility expected of someone much smaller. Anyway, i have this young wonderkid goalkeeper with amazing stats, wonderfully all round, the only thing is he's 5ft 10... in my mind no matter the stats that's too small. Anyone got any evidence to suggest otherwise? Other input is also welcome.

well, real life evidence suggests height is no issue....an example is angelo peruzzi! he was 5'9 i think, and he wasn't to be sniffed at! personally, I go by command of area, jumping and ball handling and reflexes. you could have the biggest keeper in the game, but if he can't organise a defense, and cant react fast enough to get to that floating corner, then height means nothing

Height is important in real life, obviously you can be good and short (particularly historically) but most goalkeepers these days are big.

However, in FM height plays no role in the calculation of events. For goalkeepers, one of the attributes- possibly "aerial ability"?- determines how high they can reach. For outfield players (and goalkeepers in outfield situations), jumping determines how high they can get their head. These attributes take height into account.

well, real life evidence suggests height is no issue....an example is angelo peruzzi! he was 5'9 i think, and he wasn't to be sniffed at! personally, I go by command of area, jumping and ball handling and reflexes. you could have the biggest keeper in the game, but if he can't organise a defense, and cant react fast enough to get to that floating corner, then height means nothing

That might be true, but one or two examples set against what thousands? of others who are tall doesn't really cut it. There's always an exception to the rule, Same goes for that pointless post about Pantilimon. Also i'm talking about a tall keeper with the same skills vs a 5 ft 10" keeper with the same skill level. Not a huge ham handed thing vs a small nippy keeper.

I have to agree with coopie54, if the player has the necessary skills in abundance then their physical attributes can be overlooked. It's been proven many times with different players at different positions and keepers are not different. Yes, it's true that there's some type of prototypical body size that one looks for in keepers, but there are always, always, exceptions to this "rule". Another great keeper, who will go down as one of the best ever is playing in fact right now for Real Madrid. Iker Casillas is only 5'11''. Would you overlook him just because he's not 6'2'' or taller? One could also say Victor Valdes is not that tall, only 6'0''.

Height is important in real life, obviously you can be good and short (particularly historically) but most goalkeepers these days are big.

However, in FM height plays no role in the calculation of events. For goalkeepers, one of the attributes- possibly "aerial ability"?- determines how high they can reach. For outfield players (and goalkeepers in outfield situations), jumping determines how high they can get their head. These attributes take height into account.

Now, I have a dilemma. I have a Japanese Regen goalkeeper that all my coaches say is better than my number 1 Asenjo, he has 16+ for reflexes, handling and another important stat but I forget it offhand.. but his key stats are all better than Asenjo however..

the problem i have with him is that he's 167cm and his aerial ability is a paltry 7! he's only 19 but I guess that's a problem considering his lack of height anyway?

how is that for the defenders than? or players in general.. because for example, one being 165cm and 16 in heading and jumping or another 192cm and 13 in heading and jumping?

Apparently, all other things being equal, (strength, speed, anticipation, off the ball etc) the shorter guy gets the ball.

I don't think there actually are any players in the game who are 165 cm with 16 jumping. At least there shouldn't be according to research guidelines.

That's balls. The research guidlines not your contribution. If need be i'll data retrieve my early games in this edition of FM when i was making up my tactic and show you people who are that height and have above 16 jumping, only by one mind you (17), but still.

Also @ pigface etc etc that's deinitely not true otherwise my tall team wouldn't be so dominant consitantly against smaller but slightly more intenligent teams. Again i have to stress, i'm not talking about those tall donkies. I'm talking about the Yaya Toure's (6ft 3" i think) which is relatively tall who also has excellent mental and technical skills. I have to agree though, as in real life, all thing being equal the shorter guy, with a well delivered ball, has almost as good a chance, if not in some ways a better one as he has to adapt his heading part of his game due to his shortness and thereofre inately is embued with better reading of the game, not stat wise it seems though. However this is by no means a constant.

That's balls. The research guidlines not your contribution. If need be i'll data retrieve my early games in this edition of FM when i was making up my tactic and show you people who are that height and have above 16 jumping, only by one mind you (17), but still.

Also @ pigface etc etc that's deinitely not true otherwise my tall team wouldn't be so dominant consitantly against smaller but slightly more intenligent teams. Again i have to stress, i'm not talking about those tall donkies. I'm talking about the Yaya Toure's (6ft 3" i think) which is relatively tall who also has excellent mental and technical skills. I have to agree though, as in real life, all thing being equal the shorter guy, with a well delivered ball, has almost as good a chance, if not in some ways a better one as he has to adapt his heading part of his game due to his shortness and thereofre inately is embued with better reading of the game, not stat wise it seems though. However this is by no means a constant.

Yes it is. Jumping attribute determines how high a player can get his head, not his feet. Height on it's own has no effect in determing whether a player will win a header in the match engine. It determines whether a player will jump for the ball or not but there needs to be a VERY significant height difference for it to have an effect. As for the rest - if there are players in the game who are that short yet with jumping that high then there's a flaw with the research (or regen generation). Your tall team is aerially dominant because tall players generally have good jumping attributes.

Height does play a role in the ME, PaulC confirmed it for FM09 or was it FM10.

Height along with mental attributes (eg decisions) determines if the player needs to jump to reach the ball. If he does jumping is used (Maybe aerial ability for GKs), if not then its height along with the other associated attributes (eg strength, anticipation etc)

i dont know if its me, but i've noticed regens are getting taller. i got one through in the 3rd season who was 6foot3, next season i spotted a couple of classy french players, all under 17, who were 6foot6 and over. i plumped for the 6foot9 17 year old Target Man.

there were always tall players before, but they were generally rubbish, but now seems to be quite good.

So my keeper is useless..? He's my back up keeper..but his height and aerial ability is a concern!

jq55qe.png

I would be very concerned about his Aerial Ability attribute, 7 is really low. Is it possible in FM12 to get some concentrated training in this? (I'm still on FM10) I don't even think that would help, 167cm what is that, about 5'6", he's a tiny for a GK.

Jumping apparently has no effect on goalkeepers. It's only used if they go up for a corner. Aerial ability determines how well they can claim crosses and reflexes cover shot stopping.

In the opposition box. ;)

It acts like it does for outfield players and affects all the headers he goes for, so he's going to get beaten to those balls in the air just outside his box. (and you know there will be some ;))

Surprisingly in the scout reports his strength is catching crosses... In the games he has played for me when Asenjo has been injured he's actually been MOTM twice and got good ratings...I just don't trust him in the long run. I guess I'll get his value up a bit and sell him. A shame though as he is superior to Asenjo in most areas!

Surprisingly in the scout reports his strength is catching crosses... In the games he has played for me when Asenjo has been injured he's actually been MOTM twice and got good ratings...I just don't trust him in the long run. I guess I'll get his value up a bit and sell him. A shame though as he is superior to Asenjo in most areas!

And get shut of that scout! :D

i dont know if its me, but i've noticed regens are getting taller. i got one through in the 3rd season who was 6foot3, next season i spotted a couple of classy french players, all under 17, who were 6foot6 and over. i plumped for the 6foot9 17 year old Target Man.

there were always tall players before, but they were generally rubbish, but now seems to be quite good.

Yessssssssssssss, i've noticed that so much. In the last game too. 6ft 9 players are getting quite regular, more though 6ft3 to 6 ft 6, plus a majority lot of them are all round athletes and make utterly amazing keepers, defenders and stand alone strikers.

Yes it is. Jumping attribute determines how high a player can get his head, not his feet. Height on it's own has no effect in determing whether a player will win a header in the match engine. It determines whether a player will jump for the ball or not but there needs to be a VERY significant height difference for it to have an effect. As for the rest - if there are players in the game who are that short yet with jumping that high then there's a flaw with the research (or regen generation). Your tall team is aerially dominant because tall players generally have good jumping attributes.

Nuh huh it isn't lol. Let's just agree to differ, from my game experience it isn't true, from yours it is. Simple, ok?

i signed a japanese defender once, 5'2 and scored 8 minutes into he debut lol, he was pacy so thought he might be a good one to retrain as a hard to find L/R position, and besides, you can use a larger defender to cover the short one who can use his pace to get the ball away.

but yeah height doesnt bother me, hernandez, owen, all small players that can get above players and head the ball.

if a goalkeeper is better then the one you have, then he is better, reflexes are very handy.

Archived