Managing your shortlist without the AI removing your players CONSTANTLY

How do you stop players constantly dropping off your shortlist?

Throughout the season I go through all my scouts and coaches, highlight all players with high star ratings in the “reports” screen and click “add to shortlist indefinitely” (that’s “INDEFINITELY” which means forever – I know SI aren’t great at English language skills).

Then I periodically go to my shortlist, slap my head in amazement at the swathes of players whose star rating has vanished, have those re-scouted to get a star rating back. Then I sort them by star rating and delete those with low star ratings that I’d never be interested in (nevertheless I get news items about them). Then I sort by age and remove the ones that are now too old. Then I sort by the column that states “number of days left on the shortlist” and re-scout those who look due to fall off in the near future (I had previously been under the impression that scouting a player put them onto your shortlist for a year – not so).

None of this works. I constantly get huge numbers of players falling off my shortlist with the message “I had indicated they no longer featured in my plans”. Please tell me where and when I’d “indicated” this. I have to painstakingly re-add them. Constantly.

I’ve just had someone fall off my shortlist because I’d “indicated they no longer featured in my plans” that I’d had scouted just two weeks prior. He was a five star prospect.

What have you got to do to keep players on your shortlist until YOU want to remove them?

Why can’t YOU manage your shortlist without the game constantly chucking great lists of players off for no sensible reason?

How do you stop players constantly dropping off your shortlist?

Throughout the season I go through all my scouts and coaches, highlight all players with high star ratings in the “reports” screen and click “add to shortlist indefinitely” (that’s “INDEFINITELY” which means forever – I know SI aren’t great at English language skills).

Then I periodically go to my shortlist, slap my head in amazement at the swathes of players whose star rating has vanished, have those re-scouted to get a star rating back. Then I sort them by star rating and delete those with low star ratings that I’d never be interested in (nevertheless I get news items about them). Then I sort by age and remove the ones that are now too old. Then I sort by the column that states “number of days left on the shortlist” and re-scout those who look due to fall off in the near future (I had previously been under the impression that scouting a player put them onto your shortlist for a year – not so).

None of this works. I constantly get huge numbers of players falling off my shortlist with the message “I had indicated they no longer featured in my plans”. Please tell me where and when I’d “indicated” this. I have to painstakingly re-add them. Constantly.

I’ve just had someone fall off my shortlist because I’d “indicated they no longer featured in my plans” that I’d had scouted just two weeks prior. He was a five star prospect.

What have you got to do to keep players on your shortlist until YOU want to remove them?

Why can’t YOU manage your shortlist without the game constantly chucking great lists of players off for no sensible reason?

That's the problem, when you re-scout them, the 365 days on the shortlist don't get reset. you have to select the players, remove them from the shortlist, and then add them indefinitely, it's a hassle, but as far as I know, the only way to do it.

If you put someone on your shortlist by scouting them, they are on your shortlist for 365 days. If you manually place them on your shortlist "indefinitely" then they do stay there forever. It works perfectly for me.

I'll say it again for those with concentration problems - a player was removed from my shortlist two weeks after scouting them. They are forever falling off my list and they are only there BECAUSE I've either scouted them or added them manually from scout/coach report lists. Nevertheless, all I do is wade through reims of messages telling players have been removed.

Manden has explained that re-scouting, inexplicably, doesn't reset the time on the shortlist back to 365 days as any sane and sensible person would expect. I've been wasting my time rescouting.

I'll have to take Milnerpoint's route of clicking the news star things for everyone I want to track forever (or until they get too old), but it sounds a bit of pain in the Jacksons.

Definition of INDEFINITE

: not definite: as a : typically designating an unidentified, generic, or unfamiliar person or thing <the indefinite articles a and an> <indefinite pronouns> b : not precise : vague c : having no exact limits

It does not mean forever.

But that still doesn't excuse players dropping off your list.

I'd have to back SI for their use of English. I don't recall seeing any major grammatical or spelling mistakes in any versions of FM or CM. As 'fdawsoniv' points out above! If they are there, they are very few considering the amount of text used in the game.

I think the game would slow to an absolute crawl if every player you scouted was added indefinitely. This way at least after a year the rubbish you dont care about are no longer slowing your game down and you get reminded about the good ones your still interested in.

• 2 months later...

I'm having a headache with the game removing players that are on my shortlist from the game.

I'm about to win the BSN and have three unattached players that are currently not interested in signing but I think will be interested when I have secured promotion (I actually know they will sign after April). The problem is that the game decides to remove those three players from the database in March! Why does it need to remove the three players I am tracking?

I've tried scouting them the day before they get removed but then I get the reports for players that no longer exist.

They don't get removed in holiday mode. So now I am having to save the game at the end of each match and then check my shortlist every in-game day, reload and holiday for 2 days whenever one or all of the players gets removed >:(

Grrrrr!

Archived