The Golden1807 Journey

Golden1807

Alright everyone, I haven't been on this forum for a while but I'm gonna have a go at my first proper career thread. I've always struggled to keep a career going on FM so hopefully this element makes it more interesting.

Started as automatic unemployed

Leagues loaded:

Argentina

Brazil

England

France

Germany

Italy

Spain

I'll probably add/remove leagues throughout, I just didn't want to overload the system from the start.

I guess this is where I start applying for any job possible..

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hereford United F.C

Nickname: The Bulls

Stadium: Edgar Street

Stadium capacity: 5,710

Season Preview 2011/12

Division: Npower League Two

Media Prediction: 23rd

Finances:

Transfer budget: £0

Wage budget: £18,720

Balance: £182,711

Board Expectations:

League: Learn from the experience of participating in league two.

FA Cup: Reach the first round

League Cup: First Round

JPT: Learn from the experience

It's been a while since I managed at this level so it's going to be a huge test, especially with what looks like a team predicted for the drop.

Aim:

To avoid the embarrassment of an immediate relegation would do me nicely.

Cheers :thup:

Season 11/12: August

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages.png

Bit of a bad start with 2 defeats in the league and a thumping at home to Reading in the League Cup but turned it around for a decent first 5 games. Particular highlight was a 4-1 away win at Cheltenham in the JPT.

On the transfer front I've managed to bring in a few faces but none to write home about yet.

Season 11/12: September

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-2.png

A good month with some big wins has propelled me up the table early on. An last-gasp winner at Crawley wrapped up a thrilling 3-2 win! Hopes still aren't too high for the first season though, just want to get used to the team and build my own.

Season 11/12: Half Way

update.png

Absolute up and down season so far, I just can't seem to snatch a cheeky draw here and there. It's been a case of win 2/3 in a row, lose 2/3 in a row. Nothing to shout about players-wise either, nobody stands out yet.

Fleetwood Town put me to the sword in the FA Cup 2nd round as well so I'll be glad to get this season out the way unless I can get some consistency and have a proper go at the playoffs

Hereford United 11/12 Review

Hereford_United_badge.jpg

League Two: 20th (predicted 23rd)

FA Cup: Second Round

League Cup: First Round

JPT: Second Round

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-4.png

In a nutshell, complete disaster of a season in the end. The second half was a disgrace, I've never suffered so many losses in a season in my life. I watched a couple of Saw films while playing this and I honestly don't know which was more horrifying.

My topscorer totalled 13 goals which itself is poor.

I have an offer on the table from Port Vale who are in the same league and finished just above me. They seem to have a better squad so there'd be more to play with there. Same transfer budget of £0 though but least they have a better set of players. Anyway I switched FM off last night before making this decision because I feel a bit reluctant to jump ship after just one year.

I've also mixed the leagues up a bit so come june/july I will have some smaller reputation nations loaded from Europe so that could be another option. :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season   |  Team                | League                        |  Country       | League Position   |  Notes     |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12  |  Hereford United     | League Two                    |  England       | 20th              |            |

Port Vale 2012/13

port-vale-fc-badge.jpg

Team: Port Vale

Nickname: The Valiants

Stadium: Vale Park

Stadium Capacity: 19,148

Well I ended up taking the Port Vale job, mainly because of the traumatising second half to last season. I never really set out my goals at the start of this but my main aim is to:

Win all major leagues (England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany)

Win a South American league

World cup

African cup

Euros

Copa America

I'm not too disheartened about jumping ship early on, it's all part of the journey that will eventually get me to achieve the above.

Anyway back to Port Vale:

Media Prediction: 15th

Board Expectations:

League Two: Safe midtable

Transfer budget: £0

Wages: 21k

I didn't manage to bring very many in and had a lot of loans accepted but to then have the players go elsewhere.

PortValeTransfers_History.png

I was excited about this guy who I brought in on a free but as you can see his calf went straight away so that's an early setback.

AlanConnellOverview_Profile.png

My aim for this season is to have a comfortable season with maybes a cheeky bid for the playoffs. I hope to be here for a couple of years at least and I'd like to think I can get promotion within that time.

A good season with Port Vale and you might get a job in League 1 next season.

That's in the back of my mind, I've had my fair share of career games sticking with the same team from the bottom so I'm open to moving about a bit if it gets me there quicker.

Didn't realize that your aims were so grand. How long will it take to complete all of those goals realistically? I have the same problem as you. I start a new save and then find it too hard to leave my current team. I've never ever had a proper save where I've gone from team to team like a manager would IRL even though I've played since the original CM. I'll follow this with interest and might just go for the same type of challenge once I reach my goals with Dortmund in my current save.

Didn't realize that your aims were so grand. How long will it take to complete all of those goals realistically? I have the same problem as you. I start a new save and then find it too hard to leave my current team. I've never ever had a proper save where I've gone from team to team like a manager would IRL even though I've played since the original CM. I'll follow this with interest and might just go for the same type of challenge once I reach my goals with Dortmund in my current save.

To be honest, I've no idea how long it would take, in a previous save it took about 3/4 seasons to win la liga with At. Madrid so I guess I'm in for the long haul. Normally I wouldn't start a game from the bottom with those kind of aims but doing this thread gives it a bit more meaning and interest. I enjoy moving around frequently, the longer I stay at a club the more comfortable I get and it just makes it harder to start again when I finally do move.

Hereford are absolute paupers and, even though you did somewhat collapse, 20th is not too bad. I think you were a bit harsh on yourself. Keeping them up is honestly an achievement. I guess, when you fly up the table, it doesn't feel like such an achievement if you end up collapsing afterwards. But still, 20th was a decent effort.

That said, Port Vale should be a decent step.

I couldn't bare another season like that, if I had turned a few of those defeats into draws it might have seemed more respectable. Have you played with Hereford before?

I think midtable with Port Vale might be a decent first season. Having a few up and down results with these as well but it seems more solid.

Nope. I did consider taking that job, but went for Gold Coast Utd instead. I just know what the resources are like there. They operate on one of the lowest budgets and smallest fanbases in League Two. Keeping them up is not easy.

Epic matches are staring to be a regular for me. I was on the losing end this time but you just can't beat being involved in stuff like this:

FleetwoodvPortValeInformation_Overview.png

Not a massive talking point this one but seeing as it was my first match against my old club I thought I'd give it a mention. They are in the relegation zone at the moment so it looks like I got out at a good time. Anyway, a sweet little victory.

PortValevHerefordInformation_Overview.png

This is my first re-gen signing who looks like he has a lot of promise, at least at this level. Picked him up on a free half way through the season.

ThomasKilbaneOverview_Profile.png

Season 12/13

Port Vale

port-vale-fc-badge.jpg

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-2-1.png

League: 12th (Media Prediction: 15th)

FA Cup: First Round

League Cup: Second Round

JPT: First Round

A very solid season, much better than my previous one. Again with a non-existent transfer budget I was always going to struggle to launch a serious promotion bid. As it happens I never really got near the playoffs nor did I look like getting into a relegation scrap. It was a typical mid-table season which I'm happy with for a first year with the club.

I've managed to get a few free signings over the line which I will update on later when they go through.

Star Players:

Tom Pope and Marc Richards - my two strikers who got 32 between them. They weren't my preferred pairing but my big signing was out for 5 months with a torn calf and never really got firing after that.

Thomas Kilbane - my regen centre mid settled in well, expecting big things from him over the next year or two.

I've been offered a new 2 year deal which I negotiated and finally signed a new 1 year deal. I like the idea of being able to re-assess every year in case I get a good offer but at the minute I have no intention of leaving Port Vale.

PortValeTactics_Overview.png

I've included this to show my usual starting lineup as a way of keeping tabs on how it changes over the seasons to come. Some are faded out because of holidays.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season   |  Team                |  League                       |  Country       | League Position   |  Notes      |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12  |  Hereford United     | League Two                    |  England       |       20th        |             |

| 2012/13  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       12th        |             |

2013/14 Preview

Port Vale

port-vale-fc-badge.jpg

Media Prediction: 10th

Bit of an eventful summer, I let a few contracts run down to free up the wage bill allowing some better quality players to come through. Some I had already sealed on frees during Jan-April time. I never thought about leaving after last season so didn't even look at the job centre. I'm still hoping to stay here for another couple of years during which time I hope to win promotion. I think with the signings I've made I have found a good balance in the team and am a lot more confident this time around.

Unfortunately the striker I signed last season who sat out 5 months of the season with a torn calf is now out for 5-6 months again, this time a hip injury. I've shifted quite a few highly-paid squad players and replaced them with loan signings (0% contribution) and youngsters on low contracts who could do a job. This season certainly looks to be one to look forward to and hopefully I have something to play for towards the end of it.

I also had a bit of a staff overhaul. I took the time out to look at the club's staff and realised the coaching staff were shocking so I brought in some replacements. I also replaced my assistant manager and scouts.

My monthly updates tell me the board are pleased with my performance but we seem to be constantly losing money so I think it might be time to move on either after this season or next.

Board Expectations: To achieve a respectable league position.

Finances: Transfer Budget (£0) Wage Budget (20k)

Transfers

Key Signings:

Adam McGurk

Magnus Okuonghae

Jonny Gorman

Derrick Williams

David Aketxe

Joe Mckee

Adam Dodd

Aims: To better last season and make a push for the playoffs. I'm hoping to at least come close to promotion to encourage me to stay on beyond this season. I've managed to bring in some decent players, though I've had to rely on loans and free transfers because yet again I was given no transfer budget. Wasn't surprising really give the state of the clubs finances (balance of about -400k).

Bit better that Hereford or that wouldn't have looked good.

I was pleased with that season. In a way I enjoy when a job takes a while to get right. Easy promotions at the click of a finger bores me. All about the journey.

But yeh if I couldn't better the Hereford season I'd have been bitterly disappointed.

Season 13/14

Port Vale

port-vale-fc-badge.jpg

League Position: 4th (Media Prediction: 10th)

FA Cup: First Round (Rochdale (a) 2-1))

League Cup: Second Round (Blackpool (h) 1-4)

JPT: QF (Oldham (a) pens)

A fantastic season!! The first half of the season was a bit hit and miss, we were hanging just outside the playoff places with a shocking display from the strikers. I was really struggling to score and was fearing another midtable season. About January time I decided to mix it up to a 4-1-2-2-1 or what most teams call the 4-3-3 pretty much. I dropped both my starting strikers and replaced them with my on loan striker/winger who banged them in from that point. It made a massive difference and the end of season form was superb. The playoffs then awaited...

Playoff Semi-Final 1st leg - Rotherham (Away)

1-4

Couldn't have asked for much better. I was hoping to hold them to a draw and get them back at our place to beat them and at half time (1-1) it looked to be heading that way. However, an absolute onslaught in the second half got us one foot in the final.

Playoff Semi-Final 2nd leg - Rotherham (Home)

2-0

Managed to avoid a collapse and saw out the tie with a comfortable home win. Into the final we go.

Playoff Final - Scunthorpe United

3-0

Another fantastic performance. I've got a bit of a superstition about being on the right in a neutral game, I much prefer the right but it didn't matter here. Half way through the season this was unthinkable, so changing the tactics it seems has fired me into League One.

A special mention must go to Magnus Okuonghae who chipped in with an impressive 10 goals this season, 5 coming in the last 6 games of the season. You can imagine my disgust when he was on international duty for the Playoff final but it turns out we didn't need him.

My team

Future

I'm yet to sign a new deal with the club, I delayed one offer and then rejected the next because it fell just before the playoff final. I know accepting didn't mean I couldn't then leave anyway but I'm trying to keep it as realistic as possible. At the time I didn't think I could stick around if I lost the final, thought I hadn't ruled anything out. But winning promotion has made joining Port Vale really worth while and I'm pretty sure I'll be accepting the offer when it comes back in a week.

Into League One we go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season   |  Team                |  League                       |  Country       | League Position   |               Notes              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12  |  Hereford United     | League Two                    |  England       |       20th        |                  N/A             |

| 2012/13  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       12th        |                 N/A              |
| 2013/14  |  Port Vale           | League Two                    |  England       |       4th         |       Promoted via Playoffs      |

Archived