Own goals that aren't

Has anyone else noticed that on the match engine that goals are taken away from your players if the ball brushes against an opposition player or if the goalie touches it but can't keep it out? Under the current rules we have in real life if the attempt on goal is on target and it touches an opposing player then the player is credited with the goal. It doesn't appear that this is the case on FM. Anyone have any experience with this?

That bugs me as well. There are a lot of own goals which irl would be attributed to the attacker as the ball was just deflected by the defender.

This way you have a lot of keepers scoring own goals as well, which is just unrealistic.

I'd love to see FM being able to recognize whether or not a defender has added power to the ball (which may be the easiest explanation which comes close to how the sometimes quite complicated distinction is made irl).

That bugs me as well. There are a lot of own goals which irl would be attributed to the attacker as the ball was just deflected by the defender.

The game knows exactly where the ball is going. It knows that your shot was going to hit the post and come back out, whilst in real life they give goals to strikers despite the fact the ball was most likely missing the target. In the game it is sometimes really, really difficult for a player to judge if the ball is going just wide, hitting the woodwork when the shot is taken, or the animations aren't good enough to display the incident adequately.

I've seen it to an extent, but there's been times I thought the comp would count it as an OG but it didn't. I'm specifically thinking of a time my keeper tried to tip it above the bar/catch it but punched it into the roof of the net instead. It was stoppable, so I could even see an argument for calling it an OG, but it gave credit to the attacker.

I'd be interested to read how the compy determines what to call an OG and what not to.

Completely agree with this. My strikers seem to never win golden boots simply because of it. I reckon you get at least double the amount of own goals in one league in a season in Fm than you do IRL.

This just make me laugh :D

Anyway, i've seen this happen a couple of times in my saves, but i think SI got the rule right! When the player strikes the ball OFF target and gets in by a deflection, it counts as an own goal. Otherwise, it's credit to the offensive player.

Perhaps we all should take a closer look at the replays, and see if the ball goes on target before the deflection(s). No bug in my opinion.

It's definitely buggy. I've had shots straight at the goalkeeper in the middle of the goal get palmed into the net as own goals.

I've also had the keeper block it, so effectively ending the shot as it's traveling away from goal, only to somehow divert it back in again, but this is rightfully? classed as an own goal.

Happened to me a few times. Last time one of my Man City players hit a shot on target, came off a Wigan defender and I was 100% certain my striker touched the ball last before it went in, but it went down as a Wigan player OG. Bit annoying but I'll take it.

Archived