Steam updating the game DESPITE me telling it not to

Is there anyway to get Steam to not update FM, I have told it to not automatically update the game yet today yet again as soon as I launch FM it does a quick update and now my real time editor doesn't work. It's so annoying!!! Is it something to do with exiting the game, I normally save the game and then simply close FM by clicking the close icon (red x), this often ends up with some silly message about FM crashing but has never caused any issues that I know off.

There is a problem with Steam software, and because of that even if you set steam to not automaticaly update he will do so.

The only solution is set steam to run in offline mode. In this mode is 100% secure that any game will not be updated.

This is a situation that as nothing to do with SI or Football Manager, so in truth you should complain in Steam forum. I think this is the reason why Ackter closed your thread!

Join the club!I have the same problem that already is on the way to ruin my longest save.Play in offline mode.Steam for me at least is a nasty software with all the attributes to be regarded as a virus.I hate someone/something else doing stuff instead of me and deciding when i will update,where will i install, etc.

Keyzer, my steam is on full time, I have other games, and was a user before FM. My thread, wasn't a steam moan, and neither is this one either from what I see.

FM is the only game i play through steam, but tell me something (because i really dont know): The problem where a game is update without your consent, this only happens with FM, or with every game you play?

FM is the only game i play through steam, but tell me something (because i really dont know): The problem where a game is update without your consent, this only happens with FM, or with every game you play?

I've only got a few games on steam (Skyrim, Eve, BFBC2) but I don't remember it happening with other games honestly.

Poolfan, the auto-update not working is something that was being looked at a while back I think, but it is probably more of a Steam issue with FM as it doesn't seem to affect other games. I would hope it's sorted for FM13

I get the FM crashing message sometimes when I've exited the game, but it never seems to affect the save. The safest way to ensure FMRTE still works is to use Steam in offline mode until they release the updated version.

EDIT: Just seen your post above. I guess offline is not the answer for you then.

Deleting what cache, where? How does that fix the problem of steam doing it's own thing and updating the game whenever it wants despite me telling it not to?

It can happen with any game. I doubt I can find the information but at some point someone at Valve/Steam came out and said it was a bug in the program. They can't work out why it happens though I doubt it is a high priorty to be fixed. I had it happen with Shogun 2, and as bad as it might be with FM it's nowhere near as bad as a 14Gb update you didn't want to start downloading.

Archived