FM 2013 - What do we actually think this game will be like

I have bought every version of FM....I even bought FM12 although I failed to even make it through a season - I need to see a major overhaul...

But more to the point, what features do you think will make it into FM13?

Do we think SI will go 3D on us?

Like I said, I need an overhaul and the time is about right for them to do it - it's just been "minor" tweaks for the last 3-4 versions....we're due a major change.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New match engine for me with no added gimmicks. Just get the game right and bug free would be a good start. The problem is in many ways it's a very realistic game until you get to a match and then falls down which is unfortunate considering the match is the most important part!!

Even the "2D" engine was modelled in 3D.

That's great but means little if the end product is 2D...which is what I use for what it's worth...but i think a serious bump is needed now...without dumbing down the rest of the game a la Fifa...which I know will be tough!

They'll continue to improve the animations and graphics, but you shouldn't expect anything near FIFA for a long, long time - and even then you'd end up with generic faces because EA have most of the image rights and refuse to let them go.

It will mostly be the same. New database, obviously. Match engine reworked - might as well not be since you don't really get to see under the hood. Some old bugs and issues gone. More new ones. Slight tweaking in terms of user interface and secondary matters (i.e. cutting down 'tones' to three or some such minor change). No major, noticeable improvement/addition.

I would be a happy camper if FM13 included the following:

1. Markedly improved AI ability to build a balanced squad in long-term games.

2. German Oberliga, Spanish 3rd division & Italian Serie D. Or divisions even further down the ladder in these countries.

a new match engine.

No new match engine & SI will not be getting a penny from me, it's a must along with revamping every system that uses reputation to formulate AI decision making.

I'd also like to see an end to sliders, they're horrible, unintuitive & oddly by being so precise they are actually a very imprecise tactical interface.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I think FM13 will add some pretty remarkable graphical improvements on top of a new ME. I'm thinking: Closeups for "Flair" moves, more detailed sprites, and maybe some additional variation in animations for tackles, heading duels and of course shots. Maybe.

I think 95% of the game will be based on the same architecture. I think SI is content with the basic format of the game and won't be shaking things up too much for FM13. Wish they would, but don't see it happening. That said, I have high hopes that individual modules will be improved again and that FM13 will be "better than ever", truly. Some fundamental issues though regarding AI strategy and team building, these won't change enough for most.

Also, the tutorial system and "manual" will not improve enough to become accessible to nubs. Maybe 1 or 2 modules will become a bit more friendly. I can see tutoring coming clean and some expansion of the backroom staff aspect, but there will be just as many mysteries as ever, in the end. Poor nubs.

I'll be quite happy if they get the match working properly, it's not really that bad at the moment to be fair but definitely needs improvements. I can't really think of any features that need to be added although as mentioned above, stadium editor might be nice if it worked OK.

I can't think of any features as such I'd like to see added. I think there is enough for the time being at least. I think a redesign of the match engine would have a knock on effect of allowing all the existing and recently added features to work with greater realism and efficiency.

I couldn't care less about the graphics or anything visual. I would love to see a more realistic match engine and vastly improved interaction. If it can't be made realistic then remove it.

Completely agree :) visual changes dont actually improve the game

if there is no major changes to AI and the Match Engine i'm not going to bother to buy the game. They have been adding alot of eye candies to the game but the AI and the Match Engine is lagging very far behind now. About time they did something.

No ME improvements and i'm skipping the game. just play FM 2012.

An "overhaul" is not needed. I would like to see communication with your players improved and increased though. I agree with the removal of the manager reputation thing too. It's just not needed. And for me the most important chance... Make it easier to sell unwanted players!!

Make it easier to sell unwanted players!!
I always love this one, I wonder how often people moaning about how difficult it is to shift deadwood actually buy deadwood from AI teams?

I always love this one, I wonder how often people moaning about how difficult it is to shift deadwood actually buy deadwood from AI teams?

LOL i know what you mean!

It always amuses me when you break it down,

"i dont want player x because he is rubbish and not good enough for my team, but i expect the AI to bid over the odds for him"

LOL i know what you mean!

It always amuses me when you break it down,

"i dont want player x because he is rubbish and not good enough for my team, but i expect the AI to bid over the odds for him"

It is annoying still though do you not agree? I usually just flat out release deadwood, no point trying to fob them off to the AI for that exact reason.

A ME Uprgrade is needed I think, although Im not too fussed about visuals i.e graphics. Some people have also mentioned a stadium editor which personally I think would be too gimmicky and add to the endless list of things that arnt really used.

Buut deadwood in your team could be worthwhile to another team. If I'm in Serie 'A' but I don't need a certain defender as I've 3 better ones, it doesn't mean the unwanted defender isn't a decent player for a good Serie 'B' team. 'One mans rubbish is another mans treasure'

As long as their wages match their ability I have no problems getting rid of players I don't want.

The hard part is when the players IRL are being paid way more than they're worth, or in-game managers give them too much money in the hope of beating others to their signature, which is usually why they can't be sold.

As an example, Newcastle:

Alan Smith? Almost no chance of selling.

Peter Lovenkrands? Hell of a lot easier.

What its annoying that the AI wont bid for players you never play and keep in your reserves? Not really.

Selling players in FM has never been a problem for me, but i dont keep big squads and dont try to mass sell everyone not in the starting 11 in the first week i arrive at the club, and then keep said players in the reserves getting no exposure at all. I use the game mechanics to get interest in players and sell them that way.

Buut deadwood in your team could be worthwhile to another team. If I'm in Serie 'A' but I don't need a certain defender as I've 3 better ones, it doesn't mean the unwanted defender isn't a decent player for a good Serie 'B' team. 'One mans rubbish is another mans treasure'

But would that defender want to move down 2 divisions? There are not many players if any out there that would consider that a good career move.

Ackter is right, the only issue is when the deadwood is on a very high wage, no one is going to pay Alan Smith half of what Newcastle currently are, why would they?

No new match engine & SI will not be getting a penny from me, it's a must along with revamping every system that uses reputation to formulate AI decision making.

This exactly for me. ME needs to change so that its better then before, but also in a state where it is "fresh" - as in the develepors have lots and lots of room where they can keep improving it over the next 5-10 years. Then the AI is an even bigger problem IMO like Biggus said the use of reputation throughout the game and just the general AI altogether needs to be improved and made more flexible/realistic like real life(hard to achieve i know) as everything is still too static, the steps forward taken with dynamic reputation etc needs to be implemented into every part of the AI system. This could potentially help improve squad building, management(what formations they use etc), squad analysis, transfers, player interaction, manager interaction, buying players, international call-ups etc... the list goes on and on lol!!!

It's just unrealistic. If you have a player who you have told to their face is no longer wanted, slap them in the reserves, offer them at a decent price, then their agent has a duty to see to it that they're gone during the next transfer window. There are a zillion clubs out there. Players just don't sit on transfer lists for years and years. Somebody will always take them. It's a problem, and it needs attention.

In real life it happens. My team in real life, Wolves, had a striker called Andy Keogh, he wasn't good enough and was considered 'deadwood', along with Andrew Surman. He went down a division to Milwall, as did Surman to Norwich who then got promoted. It does depend on the wage and the individuals personality but I think it's way out of hand on this version. A lot of players in real life also take wage cuts in order to be playing, you get the feeling on this version that EVERY single player is in it for the dosh. I feel like a player would rather rot in the reserves of a Prem team than be playing regular for a team in the league below on this FM. I just don't buy it. Of course, this does happen in real life with primadonnas and self-loving individuals but it's actually very rare that a player would rather rot in the reserves on the transfer list than join another club that suits him. Even a player as High Profile as Craig Bellamy went on loan to Cardiff. I know it's only a loan but it's still significant.

My next point, most players would be wanted by at least one team in this great big footballing world, somewhere along the line, a team is found and a deal is negotiated.

I'll give you the wage cut point, every player in FM seems determined to get a pay increase at each contract negotiation.

Me: You're 34 & getting on a bit but I'll offer you £20,000pw for 3 years

Player: I want £35,000 pw for 2 years

Me: I'm offering you a better deal

Player: I'm not signing that........

Player: I'm a free agent & I'll take £15,000pw* for 1 year or I'm not wanted so I'll retire

*AI clubs only

I agree Johnjo! If SI have listened and took on board then it will be amazing. I think it's not far off being fantastic, despite my gripes. I do have issues with this version but they won't take much to iron out. Improved ME (don't care about the graphics, just the actions and decisions of the players), AI squad building and the transfer system would be great.

I agree Johnjo! If SI have listened and took on board then it will be amazing. I think it's not far off being fantastic, despite my gripes. I do have issues with this version but they won't take much to iron out. Improved ME (don't care about the graphics, just the actions and decisions of the players), AI squad building and the transfer system would be great.

That is everything they should concentrate on, and it will be brillaint :D

i mean i just started playing the game in FM11, the changes to 12 are bearly noticable, cant think of anything "major" despite the lock function on contract negotiations, everything else seems the same for me

fm13 will be the same i think, just 1-2 minor changes, nothing special

I would like the game to not keep me out of work for so bloody long when I leave, or (very ocassionally) get sacked, from previous club. I always make sure there are leagues loaded where I have the status/experience to do a good job but this game keeps me unemployed; sometimes for over a couple of years.

Never understood why FM allow this to happen.

What this game needs, really needs, is streakers and more varied goal celebrations.

I want foxes, cats & squirrels running on to the pitch with a bonus mini game that allows my groundsman to shoot the intruders

Archived