[FM12] Bad Management - A Chronicle of Failure

BadManager

Before I start, please be warned that updates may not be as frequent as with other people. My main FM game is with my brother and not this one. Plus there is a full time, and often enough overtime, job and something which almost resembling a life as well. So time might be short to do this.

Now to start proving my ineptitude on a broad scale.

Game setup

Database 12.2.0, starting July 2011 with players added to playable teams without enough players

Automatic playing background

Nation / Lowest League

Argentina : Second Division (2nd Tier)

Australia : A-League (Only Tier)

England : Blue Squre North/South (6th Tier)

Italy : Serie C2 (4th Tier)

Peru : First Division (Ony Tier)

South Africa : National First Divison (2nd Tier)

USA : MSL (Only tier)

And so it begins

Jobs are available in the top tier in Argentina, League 2 in England, the MLS and A-League. The lowest league with jobs available is the second, and bottom tier, in South Africa.

Atlie, MP Black Aces, United FC and Witbank Spurs are all available in that league. Applying for Atlie and Witbank, the two I expect are more likely to be obtained.

July 5 and both applications were successful, both with two year deals on offer. The choice is now which to pick. Both have the same wage budget of ₤13.25k. Both clubs are over their wage budgets, spending ₤17.1k at Witbank and ₤17.72 at Atlie.

Witbank is the bigger club but has no transfer budget. Atlie have a transfer budget of ₤10.75k.

I think that Atlie have more scope for clearing out some excess players to get back under the wage budget, so have chosen to go there.

Atlie Football Club

200px-Atliefc.png

Sinaba%20Stadium%202.jpgSinaba Stadium is a 7000 all-seater stadium, facilities are basic for youth and junior coaching. Fairly basic training and corporate facilities.

Atlie is based in the city of Benoni in South Africa's north-east. Last season, in the First Division Coastal, the club won just three matches.

The team report suggests a few weaknesses exist

TeamReport_20110707.jpg

Media Prediction : 6th

Board Expectations

League - Respectable position

Cup - First Round

First Division Cup - Unimportant

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pre-season started with a friendly against the reserves. Things started out well enough, with a three goal lead and players looking OK. But it fell apart badly, the right hand side was opened up a lot, and a 4-3 loss ensued without there really loking to be many in reserves ready to step into the senior squad.

A poor start.

Eight days later we travlled to non-league side The Vardos. A comfortble 4-1 showed some promising signs, but the opposition is supposed to be a level below us and there were also some signs that the defence is not yet gelling. The conceded goal was a bad one, and the team seemed to make mistakes for a while after conceding as well. Also concerining is that we only had 49% possession against a much weaker side than we will face once the season begins.

Next we hosted SA Premier side Bloem Celtic, who should have been a far sterner test. We dominated the first half to deserve the 2-0 lead. Things fell away a bit in the second, with a 3-3 result. Daniel Ogbeche, promoted from the reserves, has scored twice in each game so far.

Sasolburg Juventus was next. And again we dominated early only to fall away badly against the Free State Lower League side. A 3-2 win, after an early 2-0 lead wasn't really good enough.

The final friendly was against the lowly African All Stars. This was never supposed to sanything more than a final fitness run. It turned out pretty much that way with a comfortable 4-0 win.

Overall, the pre-season games showed a trend to fall away as the games wore on and a capacity to give up some stunningly poor goals. On the plus side, we did seem to score on a regular basis. That is not something my sides normally do in FM, I very much build my teams from the back.

Coming in durng the pre-season:

Brandon Barkhuisen should give better cover on the right. Unfortunaltely he is on big wages for this level, compounding the wage budget issues.

Cyril Mashego on a long term loan. He is apparently keen to make the deal permanent.

As yet, with about four weeks of transfer window to go, I have not managed to off load anyone and the wage expenditure compared to budget is somewhat stretched.

Solid pre-season. Good luck in South Africa mate.

Thanks mate, but the fact that we played a lot of teams below the National First Division was shown for what it was once games got underway.

Competitive games began with the First Division Cup, and MP Black Aces (aka Aceholes). The media has them finishing second, so it was a tough first up game but a needed test before the league began. Injuries before the game proved to hurt, as did a big gap between further injuries and the next stoppage, and hence chance to replace the injured, during the second half. Black Aces got the winner while I was waiting to sub three players, two injured and one hopelessly tired. A 3-2 loss and out of the First Division Cup. We enter the league with an unacceptably long injury list for this point in the season.

The league got underway with a home game against relegation favourites, Sivusta Stars. Terrible from start to finish. We couldn't penetrate the area, or do anything in defence. The 3-0 loss was probably a slightly larger margin than the flow of the game would suggest, but to lose against those guys is a big blow. I might not be at this club very long, even if I want to be.

In betwen games a couple of players, including key midfielder Gerald Modabi, came back to full training. We also picked up a young central midfielder on loan as back up for an area where we lack depth.

Next up was Witbank Spurs, who were coming off a solid cup win over Black Aces. We were vry much on top early, but took time to get make the breakthrough. Then the second came soon afterwards. Spurs came back through a blatant offside, and then levelled with a mad scramble on the line before the half. We played well enough to be leading comfortably, but weren't in front at all. The second half started dismally, being utterly outplayed and conceding early. The whole half belonged to Spurs, although we wasted a couple of easy header chances. On the 90th minute a cross found Mncube who levelled for us to retain a point.

August Fixtures - competition games only

Results_2011_08.jpg

Early days, but sitting 15th of 16 is not a good start.

We started favourites with the bookies at hame against Vasco. We generally played that way through the first half, but never looked like scoring in the forward moves. Our best attack came early in the second half, and we could not score even from that. Thankfully Vasco's ulius did that for us to give us the lead. And then, the predictable happened with around 20 to play. A stupidly conceded goal, and Julius had scored for boh teams. A draw when a win was there for the taking.

Adding to the dropped points, first choice right back Brandon Barkhuizen is also out for 4-5 weeks.

The first of two tough away games, to Thanda Royal Zulu, began with a lot of wasted moves. Tsepho Mashego made a run down the left to send us in front through Walaz in he 23rd minute. Daniel Ogbeche put us two up after 80 and all looked good. The demons then looked like returning as we conceded in the 91st, but held out to claim our first win in competitions. Another injury though, with T Masego probably out for three weeks.

Visitng second placed FCAK was always going to be tough. Being a goal and a man down inside the opening 15 minutes didn't help matters. We did draw level at one point, but deserved no points and a 2-1 loss could be seen as fortunate. After receiving his red card, Maybana copped a three game ban. Our already shaky defence gets dealt another blow.

I was hopeful October would turn out to be a better month, and get us clear of the relegation zone.

First up, fellow strugglers Carara Kicks. No wasted opportunities in this game. The decision to bring Ngcepe in paid dividends, as he had our second by the eight minute mark aftermidfielder Mothibantwa had opened the scoring in the fourth minute. We were dominant throughout the first half, with 13 shots to 2 and a 2-0 lead. As always, the question was whether we could play out 90 minutes. The second half saw Carara have more of the ball, but we extended the lead early through a corner which found the head of an unmarked Mkhwanazi. Carara clawed one back late, with the ball going straight through our keeper. It was not that they deserved to score, but we did deserve to concede. A 3-1 win at home should keep the fans happy for a week.

In fact, for two weeks as we had a break before taking on mid-table FC Cape Town at their place. If ever a team dserved a 2-0 half time lead, it wasn't us. Cape Town utterly slaughtered us in play, but switching to a counter-attacking strategy as a panic move against their 3-5-2 formation seemed to pay undeserved dividends. Despite constant pressure we held them out 45 minutes, scored one early ourselves again from a corner, and the second came from a true counter as Ngcepe found himself with the whole of the opposition half to work solo in and beat the keeper almost on the whistle. Cape Town pulled one back right on the hour mark, but we instantly replied. That seemed to take the spirit out of the Cape, as we ran away with a 5-1 result.

The next game was at home to Dynamos, who recently took out the First Division Cup. We looked out of it early, our back four opened up easier than a hooker's legs, and Dynamos had one on the board before we started to get interested. We needed something, and a superb ball to allow Walaza to run into the area in the 36th minute was enough to draw level. It was 17 into the second half when Ngepe found Walaza again on the edge of the area and a little to the right of centre for our second and the lead. Then, right on the end of regular time Dyanmos scored an equaliser; only for Walaza to be found in the same spot a third time to complete his hattrick and secure the full three points.

Second placed Tuks provided the last opposition of the month, and of this update. The first half turned out to be a strugle, with Tuks probably playing slightly better football. We were saved by a dodgy offside call when Tuks scored, and they later hit the woodwork solidly with the ricochet going to one of their strikers who was dispossessed in vicious fashion - that we got away with. In stoppage time we took a corner, and scored off the head of defender Mncube. Within 80 seconds of the second half beginning, Tuks levelled through a fantastic move. A superb team effort of our own found Walaza in his faourite spot again. This time he passed off to Ngcepe virtually on the penalty spot, who slotted it wide of the keeper to regain the lead. Walaza was taken off injured with around 15 minutes to play. That didn't stop us as Mothibantwa set up Ngcepe for our third. 3-1 with 10 to play. And that's the way it stayed.

October was far better than I ever hoped, the only down side being we still have not kept a clean sheet. There was more than a bit of luck along the way, but going from the edge of the relegation zone into a playoff spot by taking all the points on offer is a good month.

September and October results

Results_2011_09-10.jpg

The table looks far better than it did two mnths ago.

Table_2011_10_30.jpg

As the new month rolled around, news came through that first pick right back Brandon Barkhuizen will be out for seven weeks to two months. This is a spot where we lack suitable backup.

Our first game in this update was against MP Black Aces, who booted us from the First Division Cup at the start of the season and were coming off a 6-0 win. We pressured their goal for the entire first half, but it was a speculative floater just before that saw us open the scoring. That lead doubled early in the second half, and that's the way it stayed. Our first clean sheet.

The bookies had us as strong favourites away to Chippa United. It wasn't to be though, as we proved wasteful up forward and could only take a 1 all draw.

We started out big favourites again at home to mid-table Blackburn (the South African version). What a frustrating game it was. We barely made their keeper work, but gave the fans behind the goals plenty of reasons to duck and weave. The stalemate was broken by Komane getting on the end of a corner and heading one home. The defender really is proving dangerous on corners. 1-0 the final result, and I'll take the three points but we should have won by more.

A rainy day away at Bay Utd and the stands were empty. It was all action in the opening half hour though, as we took a three goal lead; including a cracker by Mothibantwa for the third; and then conceded one. After that the game kept flowing but the goals dried up and no more scoring took place.

That turned out to be Bay Utd's last game under that manager, as three managers got sacked in the division on the one day.

Lowly African Warriors at home was the next game. Again, we failed to really take advantage of how much we controlled the game, but took the three points with a scrappy one nil victory. After the game we sat two points clear on top of the table, one game before the halfway point of the league season.

The South African FA Cup Preliminary Round saw us drawn to play Cape Town away. Cape Town played all over us early, to slow things down we started playing a possession game. That took the edge out of Cape Town but they were still playing far better than us. Nkoana scored for us against the flow, to give us a vital lead. At that stage we tried to shut things down more. Komane brought down a striker very late and received a red card; the resulting shot from the edge of the area went high. That reprieve was enough to advance courtesy of a 1-0 win.

New Years Eve saw us visit United FC. A great start as we went out to a 3-0 lead in the opening half hour. A goal just after our third saw them get back in the game. The second half was simply poor, a second goal to United and we were really struggling. Some luck late meant we kept the three points, but I was not happy with the performance in our last two games.

The end of the year also saw the halfway point of the league.

After a dreadful start, we haven't lost since September.

Results_2011_08-12.jpg

And that run has us in a good position.

Table_2011_12_31.jpg

There are far too many players on the list, I need to get rid of some with the transfer window opening up again even if they go for free.

SquadStats_2011_12_31.jpg

It was never really my intent to ramble on about each match as much as I have. Hopefully from now on updates will be shorter.

End of calendar year awards were handed out

==============================================================
|Year|World Golden Ball          |World Player of the Year   |
|2011|Lionel Messi               |Wayne Rooney               |
|    |Barcelona/Argentina        |Manchester Utd/England     |

January was a poor month for us. Only the one win out of four games, and that was courtesy of a lucky comeback with ten men. Not surprisingly top spot was conceded during the month. Everything that was working started to fail. Our twelve match unbeaten run came to a grinding halt. And I couldn't offload any players at all, not even for no cost.

Things got little better in February. Morale hit rock bottom as well. A win at the end of the month helped give some hope, but things are just not working.

Results_2012_01-02.jpg

Thankfully it didn't cost us too much ground on the table.

Table_2012_02_29.jpg

With the salaries way over budget, I need to get some wins on the board or my job might be on the line. Staying in a playoff spot should be enough but I'm way over budget, and finances overall are terrible. Even if I was paying no wages he club would be losing 40k a month.

The African Cup of Nations was held over January and February.

=========================================================================
|Group A          |Group B          |Group C          |Group D          |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
|           Pts GD|           Pts GD|           Pts GD|           Pts GD|
|Cameroon     7 +4|Sth Africa   5 +2|Mali         7 +6|Nigeria      6 +3|
|Senegal      7 +4|Ghana        5 +1|Nigeria      7 +6|Ivory Coast  6 +3|
|Gabon        3 +1|Morocco      2 -1|Eq. Guinea   1 -6|Togo         6 +1|
|Angola       0 -9|Namibia      2 -2|Libya        1 -6|Tunisia      0 -7|
|Cameroon     2   |                 |3rd Placed Playoff                 |
|Sth Africa   0   |                 |                                   |
|                 |Senegal      0   |Ivory Coast                        |
|Algeria      1   |Mali         1   |Senegal                            |
|Mali         2e  |                 |                                   |
|                 |                 |-----------------------------------|
|Ghana        1   |                 |African Cup of Nations Final       |
|Senegal      2   |Cameroon     3   |            HT     FT              |
|                 |Ivory Coast  0   |Mali         0      1              |
|Nigeria      3   |                 |Cameroon     1      2              |
|Ivory Coast  3p  |                 |                                   |
|Best Player : Samuel Eto'o - Cameroon / Anji (Russian Premier)         |

I had planned on the next update to be an end of season one, but time has beaten me and I probably won't get a chance to finish the season for a few days. One game to go before playoffs, and its an interesting point to stop anyway.

Our form has been patchy at best, we haven't won a home game since 10 December and its now the end of April.

Results_2012_03-04.jpg

The Tuks and Bay Utd games were particularly aggrevating, as in both cases we utterly dominated play. The Tuks game the gods of the game had decreed that nobody would score. We must have hit the woodwork three or four tiimes and they did so once. Unmissable shots were missed by huge margins.

And ay Utd seemed to score every time they touched the ball, including an impossibly long shot and gettimg away with a brute of a challenge that would normally draw a red card as we were aout to clear the ball from the box.

Thankfully, other sides near the top have also been somewhat up and down over the time.

Table_2012_04_28.jpg

So, with one game to go we can win the title if we win the game, not having won at home in over four months; and if top of the table Witbank loses. They lost in the previous round, we started that game six points behind.

We play 8th placed United FC at home, Witbank should defeat the 14th placed Thanda Royal Zulu. If we don't jump into top spot (and we won't), we will finish second.

Next update: the final game of the regular season, the likely playoffs, and the pre-season.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for yet another long delay. I'm still in pre-season, so will do a brief update with the final game and stuff that's hapenning in the off-season.

Firstly, the final match of the 2011-12 season. A win could see us take the title, if Witbank Spurs failed to take a point against Thanda Royal Zulu.

I'll do this a little differently, it might be rubbish. (If so, let me know, I won't try it again; its just an attempt at a different way of showing crucial game.) A timeframe of goals from both games as they progressed.

17 min - Atlie v United FC - Mdlolose's (Atlie) strike is parried by the United FC keeper, but only to the feet of Excellent Walaza (Atlie) who taps in to give us the lead. Atlie 1 United 0.

HALF TIME : Atlie 1 - United 0. Witbank 0 - Thanda 0. Table : 1st Witbank 55 points, goal diff +12; 2nd Atlie 54 points, goal diff +13

47 min - Atlie v United FC - Nkoana's (Atlie) throw is returned to him, he crosses from next to the corner flag. The cross finds Excellent Walaza (Atlie) who again taps in from close range. Atlie 2 - United 0.

56 min - Witbank v Thanda - Hendricks (Thanda) received the ball wide on the left and went for a short run before crossing it in. M Ngwenye was the target, and met it superbly with the head to give Thanda the lead. Witbank 0 - Thanda 1.

70 min - Atlie v United FC - As he takes the ball into the box United's Zuma is brought down with a trip by Barkhuizen. The penalty is awarded, and Oppenheimer (United) makes no mistake. All of a sudden the match is brought to life. Atlie 2 - United 1.

FULL TIME: Atlie 2 - United 1. Witbank 0 - Thanda 1.

The final table for 2011/12

Table_2012_06.jpg

So, a last day clinching of the title and automatic promotion. After some ordinary patches througout the season, to walk away with the title seems to be a little lucky.

There is no doubt in my mind that the best performers for the season Excellent Walaza and loanee Khunande Nkoana. Nkoana slightly less so in the second half of the season, as the assists from crosses started to dry up - but the pair were crucial in that all-important last game.

As yet we haven't been able to extend Nkoana's loan deal until next season, and I still have no money to keep him. Rightback Barkhuizen has also left the club, leaving a gaping hole in a defence that will require strengthening to be ready for the South African Premier Division.

Veteran defender Nhlanhla Mcube also departed the club, making the defensive hole even bigger. I wanted to keep him for one more year, he did play 22 games for us during the season, but the asking price was just too high.

Once the playoff wrapped up, the Manager of the Season award came my way. A nice way to round out the year.

Career Summary
====================================================================================================
|Season |Club                      |League               |Position|Cup      |Notes                 |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2011/12|Atlie FC                  |SA First Division    |1 of 16 |1st Round|Promoted as champions |
====================================================================================================
|Season |Club                      |Competition              |W |D |L |GF |GA |GD  |               |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2011/12|Atlie FC                  |Sth Africa First Division|15| 9| 6| 53| 40| +13|Winners        |
|       |                          |South African FA Cup     | 1|  | 1|  2|  3|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |SA First Division Cup    |  |  | 1|  2|  3|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |TOTAL                    |16| 9| 8| 57| 46| +11|               |

Titles and Awards
==================================================================================================
|League Wins                                                                                     |
|Club                     |League                          |Seasons                              |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Atlie FC                 |South African First Division    |2011/12                              |
==================================================================================================
|Cup Wins                                                                                        |
|Club                     |Cup                             |Seasons                              |
|N/A                                                                                             |
|International Trophies                                                                          |
|Nation                   |Competition                     |Years                                |
|N/A                                                                                             |
|Manager of the Year                                                                             |
|Club                     |League                          |Seasons                              |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Atlie FC                 |South African First Division    |2011/12                              |
|Manager of the Month                                                                            |
|Club                     |League                          |Months                               |

My plan is to cut and paste the above summaries each season as the career progresses (or regresses, as the case may be) adding the season's details each time.

Also happening between seasons have been some international championships in Oceana and Europe. Below is shown by finishing order.

Oceanian Nations Cup in Fiji
|Group A          |Group B          |  Semi Finals                      |
------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|           Pts GD|           Pts GD|New Zealand            5           |
|New Zealand 9 +11|Solomon Is   7 +3|Papua New Guinea       0           |
|Fiji         6 -1|PNG          4 -2|                                   |
|N Caledonia  1 -3|Samoa        3 -2|Solomon Islands        1           |
|Vanuatu      1 -7|Tahiti       2 -3|Fiji                   2 (et)      |
|OCEANIAN NATIONS FINAL                                                 |
|                     1/2 Time         Full Time                        |
| New Zeland                 1                  3                       |
| Fiji                       0                  0                       |
|                                                                       |

No surprises in Oceania. What is a surprise, but nothing to do with that tournament, is that Fiji have qualified for the Olympics.

Euro 2012 in Ukraine and Poland
|Croatia      6 +3|Turkey       5 +3|England      7 +2|Spain       5  +3|
|Ukraine      6  0|Poland       4 -2|Holland      4 +1|France      5  +2|
|Portugal     4  0|Italy        4  0|Ireland      3  0|Germany     3   0|
|Serbia       1 -3|Czech Rep    2 -1|Sweden       3 -3|Bosnia&Herz 1  -5|
|Quarter Finals                     |Semi Finals                        |
|Poland    2       England    1     |Croatia         1                  |
|Croatia   3       France     2     |Holland         3                  |
|                                   |                                   |
|Ukraine   1(pen)  Holland    1(pen)|Ukraine         1                  |
|Turkey    1       Spain      1     |France          3                  |
|EURO FINAL                                                             |
|                     1/2 Time         Full Time    Extra Time          |
| Holland                    0                 1             2          |
| France                     0                 1             1          |
|Best Player : Franco Cangele - Turkey / Kayserispor (Turkish Premier)  |

Italy and Portugal not making it out of the group stages, as the hosts seemed to take advantage of being at home.

I enjoy your thread. especially the other international tournaments. :applause: It maybe would be also cool to see the Champions League.

Only those which have begun and ended since my career began have been included below. In each case, from the group stage onwards are shown and not any qualifying rounds. For others, only the final result is listed.

African Champions League - Final to be played over Nov 3 & 17

|Year |Winner                  Score|Runner Up                     Score|
|2011 |Zamalek (Egypt)         3    |Al-Ahly (Egypt)               0    |

Asian Champions League - Final to be played on Nov 17

|2011 |Al-Shabab               2    |Okayama FC (Japan)            0    |
|     |(Saudi Arabia)               |                                   |

European Champion League

|Group A                            |Group B                            |
|                            Pts  GD|                            Pts  GD|
|Arsenal (England)             11 +4|Lille Metropole (France)     13  +4|
|olympique de Marseilles (Fra)  9  0|Chelsea (England)             9  +4|
|Leverkusun Germany)            8 +1|Valencia (Spain)              9  +1|
|Basel (Switzerland)            2 -5|Otelul (Romania)              1  -9|
|Group C                            |Group D                            |
|Trabzonspor (Turkey)         11  +5|Barcelona (Spain)            14 +13|
|Inter (Italy)                10  +3|Dortmund (Germany)           10  -1|
|SLB (Portugal)                7  -1|Ajax (Netherlands)            8   0|
|Rangers (Scotland)            4  -7|CSKA Moscow                   1 -12|
|Group E                            |Group F                            |
|AC Milan (Italy)             13  +6|Villareal (Spain)            12  +5|
|Manchester City (England)    12  +3|FC Bayern Munchen (Germany)  11  +4|
|FCP (Portugl)                10  +4|Olympiakos (Greece)          10  +3|
|Rosenborg (Norway)            0 -13|GNK Dinamo (Croatia)          1 -12|
|Group G                            |Group H                            |
|Olympique Lyonnaise (France) 13  +5|Manchester United (England)  16 +13|
|Real Madrid (Spain)          10  +1|Zenit (Russia)               10  +2|
|Napoli (Italy)                8  +3|Shakhtar (Ukraine)            7  -3|
|FC Kobenhavn (Denmark)        3  -9|Litex (Bulgaria)              1 -12|
|Knockout Round                      Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Arsenal (England)                      4       4            8          |
|Inter (Italy)                          2       1            3          |
|Villareal (Spain)                      0       1            1          |
|Olympique de Marseilles (France)       2       3            5          |
|Olympique Lyonnaise (France)           1       2            3          |
|Chelsea (England)                      0       0            0          |
|Lille Metropole (France)               0       2            2          |
|Manchester City (England)              3       2            5          |
|Manchester United (England)            0       2            2          |
|Real Madrid (Spain)                    1       2            3          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      4       3            7          |
|Zenit (Russia)                         1       1            2          |
|AC Milan (Italy)                       0       4            4 (pen)    |
|FC Bayern Munchen (Germany)            4       0            4          |
|Trabzonspor (Turkey)                   1       1            2          |
|Dortmund (Germany)                     4       1            5          |
|Quarter Finals                      Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Manchester City (England)              3       0            3          |
|Dortmund (Germany)                     0       1            1          |
|AC Milan (Italy)                       1       2            3          |
|Arsenal (England)                      2       3            5          |
|Olympique de Marseilles (France)       2       2            4 away gls |
|Real Madrid (Spain)                    3       1            4          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      0       6            6          |
|Olympique Lyonnaise (France)           2       2            2          |
|Semi Finals                         Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      2       2            4          |
|Manchester City (England)              1       1            2          |
|Olympique de Marseilles (France)       0       0            0          |
|Arsenal (England)                      1       0            1          |
|EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL at Wembley, London, England            |
|                                1/2 Time   Full Time                   |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      3           3                   |
|Arsenal (England)                      0           0                   |
|Best Player                                                            |
|Lionel Messi - FC Barcelona / Argentina                                           |

North American Champions League

|Morelia (Mexico)              11 +8|Los Angeles (USA)            12 +11|
|Colorado (USA)                10 +3|Santo Laguna (Mexico)        12  +8|
|Puerto Rico Islanders          6 -2|Vancouver (Canada)            8  -2|
|Alajuelense (Costa Rica)       4 -9|Communicaciones (Guatemala)   0 -17|
|Seattle (USA)                15 +13|FC Dallas (USA)              15  +6|
|Monterrey (Mexico)           13  +3|Pumas (Mexico)               13 +10|
|Real Espana (Honduras)        5  -8|Tauro (Panama)                3  -6|
|Herediano (Coasta Rica)       1  -8|Isidro Metapan (El Salvador)  2 -10|
|Seattle (USA)                          0       0            0          |
|Pumas (Mexico)                         0       1            1          |
|Morelia (Mexico)                       2       3            5          |
|Santo Laguna (Mexico)                  0       2            2          |
|Los Angeles (USA)                      0       2            2          |
|Monterrey (Mexico)                     2       1            3          |
|FC Dallas (USA)                        2       1            3          |
|Colorado (USA)                         1       1            2          |
|Morelia (Mexico)                       1       1            2          |
|Pumas (Mexico)                         0       2            2 away gls |
|FC Dallas (USA)                        2       1            3          |
|Monterrey (Mexico)                     2       1            3 away gls |
|NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL  Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate       |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Pumas (Mexico)                           2       0            2       |
| Monterrey (Mexico)                       1       2            3       |

Oceanian O-League

|Ba (Fiji)                    16 +10|Auckland City (New Zealand)  18 +15|
|Waitkere United (New Zealand)12  +7|AS Magenta (New Caledonia)    8  -3|
|Kossa FC (solomon Islands)    7  -6|AS Venus (Tahiti)             5  -4|
|Hekarri Utd (Papua New Guinea)0 -11|Tafea (Vanuatu)               2  -8|
|O-LEAGUE FINAL                      Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Auckland City (New Zealand)            4       3            7          |
|Ba (Fiji)                              0       0            0          |

South American Copa Libertadores

*Invitational club

|Fluminese (Brazil)           10  +3|Botafago (Brazil)            16 +14|
|Universidad de Chile (Chile)  9   0|Libertad (Paraguay)           9  +1|
|Liga de Quito (Ecuador)       8  +3|Atletico Nacional (Colombia)  7  -5|
|Junior (Colombia)             4  -6|Barcelona (Ecuador)           1 -10|
|Santos (Brazil)              13  +9|Corinthians (Brazil)         18 +11|
|Gody Cruz (Argentina)         9  -1|Colo Colo (Chile)             7  -1|
|Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)   7  -3|Caracas (Venuezala)           6  -6|
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)*           5  -5|Cerro Porteno (Paraguay)      4  -4|
|Flamengo (Brazil)            11  +8|Velez (Argentina)            16  +7|
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)     11  +2|Juan Aurich (Peru)           12  +1|
|Chivas (Mexico)*             10  +3|Olimpia (Paraguay)            4  -4|
|Nacional (Uruguay)            0 -13|Deportivo Quito (Ecuador)     3  -4|
|Estudiantes (Argentina)      16 +12|Racing Club (Argentina)      14  +7|
|Sport Boys (Peru)             8  +2|Sao Paulo (Brazil)           12  +5|
|Oriente Petrolero (Bolivia)   6  -4|America (Mexico)              6   0|
|Mineros de Guyana (Venuazala) 2 -10|Bolivar (Bolivia)             1 -12|
|Second Round                        Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Santos (Brazil)                        2       1            3          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               0       4            4          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   1       2            3          |
|Colo Colo (Chile)                      0       2            2          |
|Racing Club (Argentina)                2       1            3          |
|Gody Cruz (Argentina)                  0       4            4          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     0       3            3          |
|Juan Aurich (Peru)                     1       0            1          |
|Velez (Argentina)                      0       3            3          |
|Libertad (Paraguay)                    3       4            7          |
|Flamengo (Brazil)                      0       0            0          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     0       3            3          |
|Botafago (Brazil)                      4       1            5          |
|Sport Boys (Peru)                      0       0            0          |
|Estudiantes (Argentina)                1       1            2          |
|Universidad de Chile (Chile)           0       1            1          |
|Quarter Final                       Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               2       3            5 away gls |
|Estudiantes (Argentina)                2       3            5          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     2       1            3          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   0       2            2          |
|Libertad (Paraguay)                    0       0            0          |
|Gody Cruz (Argentina)                  3       2            5          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     1       1            2 away gls |
|Botafago (Brazil)                      0       2            2          |
|Semi Final                          Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Gody Cruz (Argentina)                  1       1            2          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               2       3            5          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     1       0            1          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     1       2            3          |
|COPA LIBERTADORES FINAL             Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               0       0            0          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     1       0            1          |
|Best Player : Leonardo Benitez - Estudiantes / Argentina               |

Club World Championship

I missed this in December

|WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP in Japan                                       |
|Playoff                            |Quarter Finals                     |
|Okayama FC (Japan)          3      |Monterrey (Mexico)          3 (et) |
|Auckland City (New Zealand) 1      |Zamalek (Egypt)             2      |
|                                   |Al-Shabab (Saudi Aabia)     4      |
|                                   |Okayama FC (Japan)          1      |
|Fifth Placed Playoff               |Semi Finals                        |
|Zamalek (Egypt)             1      |                                   |
|Okayama FC (Japan)          2      |Monterrey (Mexico)          1      |
|-----------------------------------|Santos (Mexico)             0      |
|Third Placed Playoff               |                                   |
|-----------------------------------|Al-Shabab (Saudi Aabia)     0      |
|Santos (Mexico)             2      |FC Barcelona (Spain)        2      |
|Al-Shabab (Saudi Aabia)     0      |                                   |
|WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL                                          |
|                                1/2 Time    Full Time                  |
|Monterrey (Mexico)                     0            0                  |
|FC Barcelona (Spain)                   2            4                  |
|Best Player: Xavi - Barcelona / Spain                                  |

The off-season didn't produce the signings I wanted and we will start in the top flight with a severely under-whelming team.

The friendlies went by slightly better than expected, but without a win and we played close to a first eleven in most games. All games were against teams in the SA Premier.

Results_2012-13_pre-season.jpg

The signings that did come in aren't up to SA Premier standard, but are the best my scout found that are within the club's resources. I don't see how we can be competitive in the top flight with this squad. Only the two are likely to play and both came in for free

Ashley Volschenk comes from Jomo Cosmos where he played just 12 games last season. He should help fill the hole left by the departure of Barkhuizen.

Veteran Glen Salmon was not with a club and was a panic signing in some respects. I'm hoping he will hold up for one season and his experience might add something to the team.

Our wage budget is 16.2k, and I'm spending 17k. I coiudn't get rid of any of the excess baggage without paying them out, there were no takers even at no cost. And I couldn't get an extension on the Nkoana loan.

I suspect I will be living off goodwill earned last season if I am to see this one out.

Media Predicition : 16th (of 16)

Board Expectations - My expectations in italics

South African Premier : Stay clear of relegation - Sink without trace

South African FA Cup : 2nd Round - Assuming an average draw, 2nd round

South African Knockout Cup : Unimportant - A win or two

August 2012

Atlie's first ever match in the top flight began a lot as expected. Occasionally we looked like we could match it with Golden Arrows. But the lapses were costly, and being two down at the break was deserved. Then we turned it around, Walaza had a couple of blistering runs, one of which allowed Salmon to tap in on his debut. Mabyana put one in to level scores, and that was the way it stayed.

Results_2012_08.jpg

Under-resourced is one way of looking at things, but its nothing like by as much as I expected.

Salaries_2012-13.jpg

September 2012

September wasn't a great month. The final game against Bidvest Wits was the first time for the season we had controlled play, despite being a loss. We only got two points in four games for the month, but I came in to this season expecting to lose most games. The worrying sign is that we have now lost two in a row. I hope that isn't indicative of what's to come.

The positives are that we should have won the final game, and we could have had a win over Platimum Stars if a four minute lapse had not cost us a two goal lead. A draw was probably a fair result on the balance of play though.

Results_2012_09.jpg

Komane's goal came from a source that was as successful as anything else we did last season; a header from a corner.

October 2012

There were only the two league games, which proved to be a mixed bag. The gap between games seemed to work in our favour, with the losing run temporarily halted with an imprssive win.

The Knockout Cup includes only the 16 SA Premier sides, we drew the top team at home. Not surprisingly we were knocked out.

Excellent Walaza had been out for around six weeks, and came back in the final 30 minutes or so of the cup game. Hopefully he will regain match fitness quickly and give some hope up forward. (He's really not very good, but is important to this team.)

Results_2012_10.jpg

The table is starting to take shape. We are placed OK to survive, but can't afford to hit the bad run that has to be expected.

Table_2012_10_31.jpg

Financially, being in the top flight is proving to be vital in keeping the club afloat. Losing the first round of the knoeckout cup was worth 180k and for the first time since I've been at the club the bank account is positive. We were half a million in the red in May. I expect to situation to get worse again by season's end, as the current figures have that cup prizemoney and 300k in season ticket sales, but not half a million overdraft.

If we survive maybe I'll have a bit more to play with next season. The problem is making that "if" come true.

November 2012

November was a pretty solid month for us. Only the one win, but four games without a loss is a solid result. Komane managed to get himself a three match suspension in the same game that he scored - again heading home a corner, he's become quite important really. A couple of trialists have helped strengthen the squad while not costing anything in wages. Its a pity I can't secure them, but the wages are beyond our means.

Results_2012_11.jpg

Table_2012_11.jpg

November saw the African Champions League wrap up

Previous winners

|2011 |Zamalek (Egypt)         3    |Al-Ahly (Egypt)               0    |

|TP Mazembe (DR Congo)         15 +7|ES Yunis (Tunisia)           13  +5|
|ASEC (Ivory Coast)             9 +1|Zamalec (Egypt)              12  +5|
|CS Sfax (Tunisia)              5 -1|Ismaily (Egypt)               6  -1|
|Africa Sports (Ivory Coast)    3 -7|Dynamos Harare (Zimbabwe)     2  -9|
|TP Mazembe (DR Congo)                  2       1            3          |
|ES Yunis (Tunisia)                     4       1            5          |
|Zamalec (Egypt)                        2       2            4 away gls |
|ASEC (Ivory Coast)                     1       3            4          |
|AFRICAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL      Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
| Zamalec (Egypt)                       2       2             4         |
| ES Yunis (Tunisia)                    1       4             5         |

And the Asian Champions League as well.

Previous winners

|Esteghlal (Iran)             16 +12|Persepolis (Iran)            10   0|
|Al-Ahli (Saudia Arabia)      10   0|Al-Jazira (UAE)               9  +5|
|Al-Shabab (UAE)               8   0|Al-Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)     8  -1|
|Neftchi Farg'ona (Uzbekistan) 0 -12|Al-Rayann (Kuwait)            5  -4|
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)      13 +11|Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)    13  +7|
|Sepahan (Iran)               12  +4|Zob-Ahan (Iran)              11  +1|
|Nasaf (Uzbekistan)            5  -9|Al-Arabi (Qatar)              8   0|
|Al-Nasr (UAE)                 4  -6|Baniyas (UAE)                 1  -8|
|Seongnam (S Korea)           16 +11|Jeonbuk (S Korea)             9   0|
|Nagoya Stolz (Japan)          9  +2|Beijing (China)               9  +1|
|Shandong (China)              7  +2|Hacioji Tigre (Japan)         7   0|
|Osotsapa (Thailand)           1 -15|Brisbane Roar (Australia)     5  -1|
|Suwon (S Korea)              13 +11|Pohang (S Korea)             12  +7|
|Adelaide United (Australia)   8  -3|Funabashi Bandits (Japan)    11  +7|
|Guangzhou (China)             7  -3|Changchun (China)             7  -3|
|Osaka AC (Japan)              5  -5|Persipura (Indonesia)         3 -11|
|Second Round                                                           |
|Esteghlal (Iran)               1   |Seongnam (S Korea)             2   |
|Zob-Ahan (Iran)                2   |Funabashi Bandits (Japan)      3 e |
|Persepolis (Iran)              1   |Jeonbuk (S Korea)              3   |
|Sepahan (Iran)                 0   |Adelaide United (Australia)    2   |
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)        2   |Suwon (S Korea)                5   |
|Al-Jazira (UAE)                1   |Beijing (China)                0   |
|Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)      0   |Pohang (S Korea)               0   |
|Al-Ahli (Saudia Arabia)        1   |Nagoya Stolz (Japan)           2   |
|Zob-Ahan (Iran)                        2       0            2          |
|Jeonbuk (S Korea)                      0       1            1          |
|Persepolis (Iran)                      1       1            2          |
|Suwon (S Korea)                        2       1            3          |
|Al-Ahli (Saudia Arabia)                1       3            4          |
|Nagoya Stolz (Japan)                   1       0            1          |
|Funabashi Bandits (Japan)              0       0            0          |
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)                2       3            5          |
|Al-Ahli (Saudia Arabia)                3       4            7          |
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)                3       0            3          |
|Zob-Ahan (Iran)                        2       2            4          |
|Suwon (S Korea)                        2       2            4 pen      |
|ASIAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL   1/2Time    Full Time   Extra Time  Pens |
|Al-Ahli (Saudia Arabia)              1            3            4     2 |
|Suwon (S Korea)                      3            3            4     4 |

December 2012

There were just the two matches for the month of December, but the fans were treated with a fantastic first game. It looked dire when we slipped behind by two in the first 15 minutes, including a mighty solo run by Jomo Cosmos' Siyabonga Nontshingwa. Excellent Walaza replied with a hattrick, and Komane headed another one in from a corner. The, in the second half, nothing happened. What had looked like a very bad result early on turned out to be our best result yet.

In the other game we slotted a penalty to take a lead, and that was cancelled out shortly into the second half.

Results_2012_12.jpg

A win and a draw, I'd be reasonably satisfed with that out of four games in a month. And we stay floating around that mid-table area one game short of the halfway point. The board is happy with that, and so am I.

Table_2012_12.jpg

There is still a very long way to go, but I'm starting to build hope of staying up.

The end of year awards have been announced, David Villa claiming the double

--------------------------------------------------------------
|2012|David Villa                |David Villa                |
|    |Barcelona/Spain            |Barcelona/Spain            |

January & February 2013

We had the Indian captain Sunil Chetri on trial for a short while during this period, but could not come close to affording the 3k a week wage demands. He did well during his stint with us though.

Due to a big gap between league games we played a couple of mid-season friendlies, embarrassingly losing to our own reserves (the assistant took over for the friendlies).

Generally good results, even if the Orlando Pirates game didn't go to plan. We played as well as most other matches during that game, but were just wiped off the park by a far superior team. It happens when you are among the lower resourced clubs. We did bounce back straight away with a convincing win over Golden Arrows.

Three wins, of which two were fairly comprehensive, a draw and a big loss. Not bad for a side that seemed destined for last spot when the season began.

Results_2013_01_02.jpg

That set of results saw us climb well into the top half. The initial aim of avoiding the drop can almost be cosidered acheived. It would take a big fall in form by us, and equally big improvement by sides at the foot of the table, to see us drop back.

Table_2013_02.jpg

The South African Cup draw was not kind to us, we have landed Premier League rivals Sundowns (11th) away in our opening round to be played next month. I'm hoping to advance a couple of rounds and get into the decent prize money.

International tournaments to concluded in the last two months include the African Cup of Nations.

Previous winners

|2012 |Cameroon                2    |Mali                          1    |
|     |Best Player: Samuel Eto'o - Cameroon / Anji (Russian Premier)    |

|Mali         5 +1|Ivory Coast  9 +3|Cameroon     7 +4|Nigeria      7 +3|
|Sierra Leone 4 +3|Mozambique   3  0|Senegal      7 +4|DR Congo     6 +2|
|Sth Africa   4 -3|Libya        3 -1|Angola       3 -1|Algeria      4 +1|
|Tunisia      3 -1|Ghana        3 -2|Togo         0 -7|Gabon        0 -6|
|QUARTER FINALS   |SEMI FINALS      |                                   |
|Ivory Coast  4   |                 |3rd Placed Playoff                 |
|Mozambique   1   |                 |                                   |
|                 |Senegal      2p  |DR Congo            2              |
|DR Congo     0p  |DR Congo     2   |Ivory Coast         1              |
|Nigeria      0   |                 |                                   |
|                 |                 |-----------------------------------|
|Mali         0   |                 |African Cup of Nations Final       |
|Cameroon     3   |Cameroon     1p  |            HT     FT              |
|                 |Ivory Coast  1   |Cameroon     0      2              |
|Senegal      2   |                 |Senegal      0      0              |
|Sierra Leone 0   |                 |                                   |
|Best Player : Samuel Eto'o - Cameroon / Anji (Russian Premier)         |

Back to back titles for Cameroon, and likewise for their star Eto'o.

March & April 2013

Now, what did I say last update? Ah, yes, "It would take a big fall in form by us, and equally big improvement by sides at the foot of the table, to see us drop back." I think its fair to say we started to live up to that bargain. March began with games against first and third, and neither were particularly good for our standing.

Ajax Cape Town were simply impenetrable. Everything they did was just pure solid football. We couldn't get near their goal, we couldn't stop their runs or their passing game. We were just completely dominated all over the park. That we held them out for 75 minutes was testament to nothing more than luck. It could have been ten-nil as easily as one-nil. We didn't seem to play badly, we just weren't allowed to play at all.

Against Bidvest Wits we almost looked competitive, but started on what would become a costly habit of making one amazingly terrible pass. Their first goal was simply too good for us, their second was horrible. Back-passing to unmarked opposition strikers is not clever - even I know that, my players appear not to.

It got little better after that. Against Supersport we had a lead early, and then managed to gift two goals in a game which was probably even in play. That gave us three losses in a row and morale was starting to sink.

Which meant we had fine form heading into the cup opening round. "I'm hoping to advance a couple of rounds and get into the decent prize money." No. Out at the first opportunity. I really am failing cup games so far this career. We had most of the shots, and they weren't from long range. Things go wrong when morale drops away though, and the loss came with a certain inevitability about it.

That run spurred a team meeting. Morale improved a little, and a win against Black Leopards ensued. Things were looking up again at half time in the next game, 3-0 up against Ama Zulu. However, despite the half tome warning, my players appear to be addicted to complacency. We were very lucky to get a draw.

Against Swallows we had to fight back from a two goal deficit at the break. We did so, and I thought things might be improving again.

That seemed right as we barely let Santos FC have a touch. We couldn't put them away, but with 67% possession and 10 shots to 1, surly it was only a matter of time. See below for how that turned out.

Results_2013_03_04.jpg

Despite scoring a couple of goals, Excellent Walaza missed some he would normally slot quite easily. Komane was nowhere to be seen, and had to be rested for a couple of weeks after some lacklustre performances. All the reliable players turned quite unreliable. And the others are just not up to scratch at this level.

Thankfully we didn't drop too far on the table, and are safe from the drop. I would like to finish top half though.

Table_2013_04_30.jpg

With four games left in the season, I want to come home strong. There are some contracts I want to tie up as well.

Finances are far better than at the start of the season, so I'm hoping I might have a little more to play with next season. I will need it.

You're having a great debut season in the Premier League, especially considering how small your budgets are in comparison to some teams in the league.

Good luck for the remaining games, got a chance at grabbing a top half finish.

May 2013

The last four games of the season saw us start out with the aim of climbing into the top half. There is a Super 8 Cup in South Africa, and while its not stated anywhere I assumed the top eight go into this. So its not just a "top half" thing, but trying to qualify for a new tournament. Its not particularly lucrative, so its not a huge deal if we miss out. It wold be nice to get there though.

The month started out with a comprehensive win away to Maritzburg United. The 3-0 victory was fully deserved and saw us into 8th place.

We dropped back to nonth, however, with a draw away to Jomo Cosmos. We slipped behind just before half time with our defensive formation going completely wrong and leaving a gaping hle in the area. We drew level courtesy of a solid header from Tsepho Mashego, and then were down to men not long afterwards.

Defence became a problem from then on. In the final two games we scored three times in each, and only managed one point. A see-sawing game at home to Sundowns saw both sides have the lead at various times, but we had no answer for the hattrick of Sundowns' Surprise Moriri. Lost 3-4, at least the fans got to see some goals.

At Kaizer Chiefs we had a 2-0 lead, but managed to blow it. A 3-3 result was not going to be enough to see us get that extra spot up the table.

Glen Salmon scored in his last match before retiring as a player. I really only got him in for the one season, and that seemed to work. If he hadn't retired I probably would have kept him for another year, but wasn't desparate to do so.

Results

Results_2013_05.jpg

As has been said, we didn't quite make top half. I'm more than happy with 9th, considering where I tought we would be when the season began.

Final Table

Table_2013_05_31.jpg

Career Update - as of end of South African Season 2012/13

Career Summary
|Season |Club                      |League               |Position|Cup      |Notes                 |
|2011/12|Atlie FC                  |SA First Division    |1 of 16 |1st Round|Promoted as champions |
|2012/13|Atlie FC                  |SA First Division    |9 of 16 |1st Round|                      |
|Season |Club                      |Competition              |W |D |L |GF |GA |GD  |               |
|2011/12|Atlie FC                  |Sth Africa First Division|15| 9| 6| 53| 40| +13|Winners        |
|       |                          |South African FA Cup     | 1|  | 1|  2|  3|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |SA First Division Cup    |  |  | 1|  2|  3|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |TOTAL                    |16| 9| 8| 57| 46| +11|               |
|2012/13|Atlie FC                  |Sth Africa Premier       | 9|12| 9| 51| 41| +10|               |
|       |                          |South African FA Cup     |  |  | 1|  1|  2|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |Sth Africa Knockout Cup  |  |  | 1|  0|  2|  -2|1st Round      |
|       |                          |TOTAL                    | 9|12|11| 52| 45|  +7|               |
|GRAND TOTALS                                                                                      |
|Club / Nation                  Won  Drawn  Lost  Goals For Against   Diff   Date in Charge        |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Atlie FC (South Africa)         25     21    19        109      91    +18   06/07/2011 - present  |

Titles and Awards
|League Wins                                                                                     |
|Cup Wins                                                                                        |
|Club                     |Cup                             |Seasons                              |
|International Trophies                                                                          |
|Nation                   |Competition                     |Years                                |
|Manager of the Year                                                                             |
|Manager of the Month                                                                            |
|Club                     |League                          |Months                               |

May 2013 continued - due to the limit of 4 images per post, the update has been split

Other than the matches a few other things happened over the month.

This was announced on May 27.

News_2013_05_27-New%2520Stadium.jpg

Given we haven't come close to selling out the 7000 capacity we currently have, that looks premature. I was going to ask about improving our training facilities, but with a new loan of that size will hold off. I don't think I'll get very far asking for any input like that. I just hope it desn't impact on the wages budget.

A big slice of budget got freed up when a mass exodus occurred. Some were players I wanted to keep but hadn't managed to get a contract deal with. In some cases I had planned to keep whichever oif two or three similar players didn't walk.As it turned out, everyone who wasn't signed walked. Modabi is the one that hurts the most.

News_2013_05_31-Released%2520Players.jpg

The plus side is, I should have enough salary spare to get some decent players in. The downside is that I may end up with a lot of new starting players who will tke time to gel as a team.

I will be around to do it, or at least that is the agreed plan.

News_2013_05_31-Contract.jpg

At this stage, my plan is to see the new contract out and see where I stand from there. Unless it all goes horribly wrong - which is how my FM games normally turn out. So, tune in for the impending train wreck.

• 2 weeks later...

2013 Off Season (Part 1)

With so many players having departed, the pressure was on to fill gaps so we could fill a team. Expecting an increase in wage budget following an improvement in finances and staying in the top flight we managed to sign the folowing four players.

2013_offseason_signing_Dladla.jpg

I'm a little concerned about Dladla's stamina, but he will hopeuly fill a role on the right wing.

2013_offseason_signing_Duiker.jpg

Injured early in the pre-season. When fit, Duiker shold provide a much more solid midfield than we have had in my time at this club. He could well become our best player, and will want to on that wage.

2013_offseason_signing_Prince.jpg

Will take the left wing spot, taking over from Maskego in that role.

2013_offseason_signing_Vargas.jpg

I had hoped to sign a better goalkeeper for this season, but couldn't get any without spending money we don't have. Whether he will be the first choice in goal is a 50-50 call. I still don't have anyone in goal who is good enough for this level.

International tornaments held in the off season were highlighted by the Confederations Cup

Confederations Cup in Brazil

|Uruguay                       9  +6|Spain                         9  +4|
|Holland                       4  +1|Japan                         4  +2|
|Cameroon                      4   0|Brazil                        3  -2|
|New Zealand                   0  -7|Mexico                        1  -4|
|Semi - Finals                      |Third Place Playoff                |
|Japan                        0     |                                   |
|Urugray                      4     |Japan                         1    |
|Spain                        1     |Spain                         3    |
|Holland                      3 et  |                                   |
|Final                     1/2 Time   Full Time   Extra Time  Penalties |
|Uruguay                          0           1            1          3 |
|Holland                          0           1            1          2 |

Following that, the Gold Cup was held in the United States

|USA                           7 +10|Trinidad & Tobago             9  +4|
|Canada                        5  +3|Costa Rica                    6  +1|
|Honduras                      4  -1|Guatemala                     3  -1|
|St Kitts & Nevis              1 -12|El Salavador                  0  -4|
|Group C                            |                                   |
|                            Pts  GD|Third Place Qualifiers             |
|Mexico                        9  +9|                                   |
|Jamaica                       4  -1|Guatemala, Honduras                |
|Panama                        2  -3|                                   |
|Antigua & Barbadua            1  -5|                                   |
|Quarter Finals                     |Semi Finals                        |
|Honduras                      0    |                                   |
|Jamaica                       1    |                                   |
|                                   |Jamaica                       0    |
|Costa Rica                    0    |Mexico                        2    |
|Mexico                        3    |                                   |
|USA                           3    |                                   |
|Guatemala                     0    |USA                           3    |
|                                   |Canada                        0    |
|Canada                        2    |                                   |
|Trinidad & Tobago             1    |                                   |
|Final                     1/2 Time   Full Time   Extra Time  Penalties |
|Mexico                           1           2            2          3 |
|USA                              2           2            2          2 |

And various continental championships wrapped up a club level.

European Champions League

Previous Winners
|2012 |Barcelona               3    |Aresenal                      0    |
|     |(Spain)                      |(England)                          |
|     |Best Player: Lionel Messi - Barcelona/Argentina                  |

|Valencia (Spain)             18 +14|Inter (Italy)                14  +5|
|FCP (Portugal)               10  +3|Olumpique de Marseilles(Fra) 10  +3|
|Anderlecht (Belgium)          4 -10|Leverkusen (Germany)          9  +1|
|FC RB Salzburg (Austria)      3  -7|Sparta Prague (Czech Rep)     1  -9|
|Barcelona (Spain)            13 +12|Lazio (Italy)                11  +6|
|Tottenham (England)          12  +4|Arsenal (England)             9  +2|
|Dortmund (Germany)            6  -1|Zenit (Russia)                8  -1|
|Celtic (Scotland)             1 -15|FC Kopenhaven (Denmark)       3  -7|
|Real Madrid (Spain)          15 +13|Liverpool (England)          13  +6|
|Shakhtar (Ukraine)           12  +2|Atletico Madrid (Spain)      12  +3|
|Napoli (Italy)                9  +1|Paris Saint-Germain (France)  7  -2|
|Dinamo Bucharest (Romania)    0 -16|PAOK (Greece)                 3  -7|
|Olympique Lyonnais (France)  15 +14|FC Bayern (Germany)          16 +11|
|CSKA Moscow (Russia)         10  -1|Manchester City (England)    10  +4|
|SLB (Portugal)                9  +3|Galatasary (Turkey)           7  -6|
|Rosenberg (Norway)            1 -16|Ajax (Netherlands)            1  -9|
|Liverpool (England)                    2       0            2          |
|Olympique de Marseilles (France)       0       3            3          |
|Lazio (Italy)                          1       1            2          |
|Atletic Madrid (Spain)                 3       0            3          |
|Valencia (Spain)                       0       0            0          |
|Tottenham Hotspur (England)            1       1            2          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      1       4            5          |
|Shakhtar (Ukraine)                     2       0            2          |
|Real Madrid (Spain)                    0       3            3          |
|Arsenal (England)                      3       1            4          |
|Olympique Lyonnais (France)            1       3            4          |
|FCP (Portugal)                         4       1            5          |
|Inter (Italy)                          3       0            3          |
|Manchester City (England)              0       2            2          |
|FC Bayern (Germany)                    3       2            5          |
|CSKA Moscow (Russia)                   3       0            3          |
|FC Bayern (Germany)                    1       3            4          |
|Olympique de Marseilles (France)       1       0            3          |
|FCP (Portugal)                         1       1            2          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      1       2            3          |
|Tottenham Hotspur (England)            2       0            5          |
|Arsenal (England)                      2       3            2          |
|Inter (Italy)                          1       0            1          |
|Atletico Madrid (Spain)                0       2            2          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      1       7            8          |
|Atletico Madrid (Spain)                2       0            2          |
|FC Bayern (Germany)                    1       2            3          |
|Arsenal (England)                      1       5            6          |
|EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL at Estadio de Luz, Lisbon, Portugal    |
|                                1/2 Time   Full Time                   |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      2           6                   |
|Arsenal (England)                      0           0                   |
|Lionel Messi - FC Barcelona / Argentina                                |

Back to back Champions League titles for Barcelona, and Messi again with player of the tournament.

In North America

Previous Winners
|2012 |Monterrey               3    |Pumas                         0    |
|     |(Mexico)                     |(Mexico)                           |

|Chivas (Mexico)              14  +8|Monterrey (Mexico)           14  +5|
|Real Salt Lake (USA)         10  +2|Toronto FC (Canada)          13  +5|
|Saprisa (Costa Rica)          7   0|Seattle (USA)                 5  -1|
|Communicaciones (Guatemala)   1 -10|Marathon (Honduras)           1  -9|
|Los Angeles (USA)            15  +9|Santos Laguna (Mexico)       14 +11|
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)           15 +14|Municipal (Guatamela)        10  -2|
|Olimpia (Honduras)            6  -4|Alajuelenese (Costa Rica)     8  +2|
|Tauro (Panama)                0 -19|Aguila (El Salvador)          1 -11|
|Monterrey (Mexico)                     3       1            4          |
|Municipal (Guatamela)                  0       1            1          |
|Chivas (Mexico)                        1       0            1          |
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)                     1       1            2          |
|Santos Laguna (Mexico)                 1       3            4          |
|Real Salt Lake (USA)                   0       1            1          |
|Los Angeles (USA)                      5       1            6          |
|Toronto FC (Canada)                    0       3            3          |
|Los Angeles (USA)                      2       0            2          |
|Santos Laguna (Mexico)                 2       1            3          |
|Monterrey (Mexico)                     2       2            4          |
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)                     1       0            3          |
| Santos Laguna (Mexico)                   1       1            2       |
| Monterrey (Mexico)                       1       0            1       |

In Oceania, the O-League

Previous Winners
|2012 |Auckland City           7    |Ba                            0    |
|     |(New Zealand)                |(Fiji)                             |

|Waitakere United(New Zealand)15 +10|Auckland City (New Zealand)  14 +10|
|Ba (Fiji)                    10  +3|Kossa FC (Solomon Islands)    7   0|
|AS Venus (Tahiti)             7  -5|Tafea (Vanuatu)               6  -2|
|Hekari Utd (Papua New Guinea) 3  -8|AS Magenta (New Caledonia)    5  -8|
|Waitakere United (New Zealand)         2       1            3          |
|Auckland City (New Zealand)            0       2            2          |

And finally in South America, the Copa Libertadores

Previous Winners
|2012 |Fluminense              1    |Boca Juniors                  0    |
|     |(Brazil)                     |(Argentina)                        |
|     |Best Player : Leonardo Benitez - Estudiantes / Argentina         |

|Sao Paulo (Brazil)           16  +7|Colo Colo (Chile)            12  +2|
|Liga de Quito (Ecuador)       6   0|Alianza (Peru)               11  +6|
|Universidad Catolica (Chile)  6  -3|Cienciano (Peru)              8  -2|
|Morelia* (Mexico)             3  -4|Tolima (Colombia)             2  -6|
|Santos (Brazil)              12  +7|Flamengo (Brazil)            12  +6|
|Fluminense (Brazil)          10  +1|Pachuca* (Mexico)            10  +2|
|Libertad (Paraguay)           9  +1|Boca Juniors (Argentina)      9  +2|
|Millonarios (Colombia)        4  -9|Nacional (Uruguay)            2 -10|
|Internacional (Brazil)       13  +5|Estudientes LP (Argentina)   14  +9|
|Oeriente Petrolero (Bolivia) 10  +5|Cerro Porteno (Paraguay)     11  +5|
|Jose Galvez (Peru)            8  +1|Bolivar (Bolivia)             6  -4|
|Deportivo Tachira (Venezuala) 2 -11|Elemec (Ecuador)              3 -10|
|Pumas* (Mexico)              16 +19|Corinthians (Brazil)         14 +11|
|Belgrano (Argentina)          8  -3|Velez (Argentina)            10  +2|
|Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)   5  -6|Independiente (Argentina)     7  -3|
|Caracas (Venezuela)           4 -10|Olimpia (Paraguay)            1 -10|
|Liga de Quito (Ecuador)                2       0            2          |
|Pumas* (Mexico)                        2       2            4          |
|Belgrano (Argentina)                   1       0            1          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     2       3            5          |
|Velez (Argentina)                      2       1            3          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   0       4            4          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     0       2            2          |
|Estudientes LP (Argentina)             2       1            3          |
|Pachuca* (Mexico)                      0       1            1          |
|Internacional (Brazil)                 1       0            1 pen      |
|Oeriente Petrolero (Bolivia)           0       0            0          |
|Santos (Brazil)                        1       4            5          |
|Cerro Porteno (Paraguay)               0       0            0          |
|Flamengo (Brazil)                      2       1            3          |
|Alianza (Peru)                         2       2            4          |
|Colo Colo (Chile)                      3       1            4 away gls |
|Colo Colo (Chile)                      3       0            3          |
|Pumas* (Mexico)                        5       3            8          |
|Flamengo (Brazil)                      2       0            2          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     2       0            2 away gls |
|Santos (Brazil)                        0       1            1          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   0       4            4          |
|Internacional (Brazil)                 3       2            5          |
|Estudientes LP (Argentina)             0       1            1          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     2       1            3          |
|Pumas* (Mexico)                        0       0            0          |
|Internacional (Brazil)                 4       0            4          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   1       0            1          |
|Internacional (Brazil)                 2       1            3  pen4-3  |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     2       1            3          |
|Best Player : Lucas Moura - Sao Paulo / Brazil                         |

2013 Off Season (Part 2)

A good profit was recorded over the first year in the top flight.

2012-13_profits.jpg

This is the situation on 3 August; the season clicked over in July.

2013_08_03-finances.jpg

With improved finances and a second run at the South African Premier, I anticipated a modest rise in the wage budget. How wrong I was. It was slashed.

2013-14_budget.jpg

Consequently, I am 50% over my new wage budget before having anywhere the team assembled that I wanted to (that says 8k, two of the above signings occurred since then and I am now spending just over 10k). I can only assume that having 15k a month going on the loan for the new stadium has spooked the board when it comes to spending anything.

Seaon Expectations:

League - Board: mid-table - Me: If we can repeat last season I'll be happy - Bookies: 13th of 16

SA FA Cup - Board: 2nd round - Me: 3rd if we get a decent draw

Knockout Cup - Board: Unimportant - Me: Unimportant, I just want the prize money

To be honest, I could lose my job this season. The first team is probably a little stronger than last year but the squad has no depth and I am way over budget; something that often spells doom in FM. I am starting to rethink my plans of staying here another two seasons.

If we stay relatively injury free, top half is possible. If injury hits, relegation will be tough to avoid.

Pre-season friendly results were mixed. The first game was quite bad, but better than it looks as most of the squad were on extended leave. Half the side was called up from the under 19 squad. It wasn't unil the FCAK game that we had something approaching a full team available, though new signing Duiker was out injured by then. Komane picked up an injury during that game as well and will miss the first three weeks or so of the season.

2013_preseason_results.jpg

26 players and staff :eek:.

Yes, a lot of those were under 19s who were never going to make it and having them walk saved me the time of going through the list and cutting them. Not surprisingly, it did leave me with less than eleven players at the start of the pre-season. Had I known the board were actually going to cut my wage budget, rather than use the improved financial position to push on, I would not have hired the people I did. I was surprised everyone walked who could, even those getting a regular game, as there was no sign of a morale problem at season's end.

By the way, I promised a train wreck, and hopefully there will be an update soon on its delivery. The first update will be as at the end of October, or the sack whichever comes first. I've played until early October.

August - October 2013

Train wreck promised, and delivered.

Its started out with disappointment, which looking back seems like glory days. A draw against Sundown when were favour to start with a win. From that point on, we got utterly schooled in every game. The Bidvest Wits game doesn't look on bad if you look purely at the result. The shot count of 22-0 was more reflective of the game. Four games with a point, or a goal was broken with a very lucky draw against Bloem Celtic.

A team meeting later and things looked a bit better with a solid 4-1 win over Black Leopards. That bright spot was soon dimmed with four goals conceded in the first half against SuperSport United. This was enough for me to decide my new, hugh wage, goalkeeper had to go. He had been a disaster in the games he started to that point. He hadn't cost us any points, just increased the losing margin.

The league was broken up by the Knockout Cup and agin we were knocked out. In the opening 20 minutes, with key highlights on, there were only two touches I saw which were not putting the ball out for a corner. One of them was a own goal. Komane scored at he right end last season, and put away two at the wrong end in this match. We had pulled a 3-0 deficit bck to 5-4 before he scored his second one. Its just the way things hae gone, even the best players are making calamitous mistakes.

The final game of the month saw us slip behind last on the table before I gave the boys a blast at half time. They still outplayed us until we got alucky one, then the floodgates opened.

Results_2013_08-10.jpg

With results well below expectations and the salaries hugely above, it is getting close to decide when I should jump ship before being pushed overboard. I can't see this being turned around. I might survive if I can slash wages.

Table_2013_10_31.jpg

The only positive has been that Andile Khena has come from nowhere to notch up a few goals in recent games.

Looks like this season is going to be more of a challenge for you, good luck!

Challenging ... yes, that one word that can be sued to replace infuriating. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tough start so far, but you turned it around after losing your first 4. Hopefully you can continue to pick up points.

Read on to see how continuing to pick up points has worked out so far.

November and December 2013

or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Loss

After a 4-1 victory, morale had shot back up to average and I had some hopes heading into a very winnable game against Golden Arrows. Dominant in general play we fald to capitalise on anything, and succumbed to an unlucky 1-0 loss. Losing points like that against a fellow struggler was not the plan at all. The next game was also against a side down with us on the table. On the scoreboard we got thumped. Four-nil. While I didn't see it, the media said we were unlucky to lose. Not just unlucky to lose by that margin, but unlucky to lose at all. Needless to say, morale went back to a series of vrey poor with the occasional abysmal thrown in. That was the last game in which anyone could call us competitive in any respect. By the final game I was playing a 5-5-0 for a while just to gain some sort of control over the back third. Every thought through attempt to do anything had failed, so it was panic time. Thankfully there were only five games over the two month stretch, not a solitary goal or point amongst them.

Results_2013_11-12.jpg

I don't think anyone will be surprised to learn that we haven't been climbing up the table with those results.

Table_2013_12_31.jpg

Surprisingly the FMCU Hall of Fame/Shame doesn't seem to have records for most consecutive losses or most consecutive games without a goal. I'm hoping to stop both at five, otherwise they might both stopped with my sacking.

Now for the updates on things far removed from this club. Barcelona continue to dominate the Player of the Year and Golden Ball awards. This time Lionel Messi claimed the double.

|2012|David Villa                |David Villa                |
|    |Barcelona/Spain            |Barcelona/Spain            |
|2013|Lionel Messi               |Lionel Messi               |
|    |Barcelona/Argentina        |Barcelona/Argentina        |

The African Champions League for 2013 finished

Previous Winners
|2011 |Zamalec (Egypt)         3    |Al-Ahly (Egypt)               0    |
|2012 |ES Tunis (Tunisia)      5    |Zamalec (Egypt)               4    |

|Heartland (Nigeria)          13  +5|Al-Ahly (Egypt)              15  +5|
|Wydad Casablancs (Morocco)    8  -1|Club Africain (Tunisia)      11  +5|
|ES Tunis (Tunisia)            6  +1|ES Setif (Algeria)            4  -4|
|Sundowns (South Africa)       5  -5|TP Mazembe (Ivory Coast)      5  -6|
|Al-Ahly (Egypt)                        0       2            2 away gls |
|Heartland (Nigeria)                    0       2            2          |
|Club Africain (Tunisia)                2       1            3          |
|Wydad Casablancs (Morocco)             0       2            2          |
|AFRICAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL      Leg1    Leg2    Aggregate          |
|Al-Ahly (Egypt)                        3       1            4          |
|Club Africain (Tunisia)                0       2            2          |

And in Asia

Previous Winners
|2012 |Al-Ahli (Saudi Arabia)  4pen |Suwon (South Korea)           4    |

|Qatar SC (Qatar)             10  +4|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)      15 +11|
|Al-Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)     9  -1|Estghlal (Iran)              10  +1|
|Al-Nasr (UAE)                 7  -1|Paxtakor (Uzbekistan)         6  -6|
|Zob-Ahan (Iran)               0 -12|Al-Jazira (UAE)               4  -6|
|Bunyodor Toshkent (Uzbek)    13  +4|Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)    13  +5|
|Al-Wahda (UAE)                8  -2|Al-Ain (UAE)                 11  +2|
|Al-Shahbab (Saudi Arabia)     7   0|Al-Sadd (Qatar)               5  -1|
|Foualad (Iran)                5  -2|Sepahan (Iran)                4  -6|
|Okayama FC (Japan)           16 +14|Higashiosaka Rosa (Japan)    11  +2|
|Beijing (China)               8  -5|Jeonbuk (south Korea)        11  +7|
|Suwon (South Korea)           6  -1|Brisbane Roar (Australia)     5  -4|
|Arema (Indonesia)             2  -8|Shandong (China)              5  -5|
|Tianjin (China)              15  +7|Funabashi Bandits (Japan)    12  +7|
|Giurare Yokohama (Japan)     10  +4|Changchun (China)            11  +7|
|Busan (south Korea)          10  +5|Melbourne Victory (Austalia)  5   0|
|Buriram PEA (Thailand)        0 -16|Pohang (south Korea)          5  -7|
|Second Round                                                           |
|Qatar SC (Qatar)               4   |Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)        3   |
|Al-Ain (UAE)                   1   |Al-Wahda (UAE)                 1   |
|Bunyodor Toshkent (Uzbek)      1   |Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia)      1   |
|Estghlal (Iran)                5   |Al-Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)      2   |
|Okayama FC (Japan)             2   |Higashiosaka Rosa (Japan)      1   |
|Changchun (China)              1   |Giurare Yokohama (Japan)       0   |
|Tianjin (China)                0   |Funabashi Bandits (Japan)      2   |
|Jeonbuk (south Korea)          2   |Beijing (China)                0   |
|Qatar SC (Qatar)                       3       1            4          |
|Jeonbuk (S Korea)                      0       2            2          |
|Funabashi Bandits (Japan)              1       0            1          |
|Estghlal (Iran)                        1       3            4          |
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)                3       3            6          |
|Higashiosaka Rosa (Japan)              1       1            2          |
|Al-Ettifaq (Saudia Arabia)             5       1            6          |
|Okayama FC (Japan)                     1       1            2          |
|Estghlal (Iran)                        2       0            2          |
|Qatar SC (Qatar)                       5       4            9          |
|Al-Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)              1       0            1          |
|Al-Hilal (Saudi Arabia)                0       0            0          |
|ASIAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL   1/2Time    Full Time   Extra Time  Pens |
|Qatar SC (Qatar)                     2            2                    |
|Al-Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)            0            0                    |

January and February 2014

The run of consecutive losses and scoreless games ended at five. (I need to update the records both for FMCU and overall.)

Results_2014_01-02.jpg

A mixed bag over the last two months, something of an improvement to the prior two. The lack of confidence, defenders deciding to run away from the ball, and a lack of finishing cost us a few points along the way too.

The final game was particularly aggrevating, wih strikers seemingly waiting for the opposition goalkeeper to get off the ground before shooting the ball straight at him. Conceding in the 93rd minute with two minutes stoppage time, when we should have been leading at least 5-1 almost saw things fly around the room. Even in the Bloem Celtic game we were more or less even in general play.

Mind you, we did get schooled in a couple of games as well. The Orlando Pirates game was pure embarrassment.

The good news we got off the bottom of the table. Just.

Table_2014_03_01.jpg

For those who haven't managed South Africa, or never have to worry about what the bottom of the table looks like (i.e. those of you who know what you are doing), last automatically relegates while second last goes into playoff with 2nd to 4th in the National Division.

I really need to get a run of wins at some stage to meet the board's mid-table expectation.

Three league matches in March, all against the sides in the lower reaches of the table. Chippa Utd at home, Golden Arrows away and Maritzburg Utd at home.

In the cup, we have drawn SuperSport Utd for the first round.

March - April 19 2014

Decision Time

Ordinarily I've been doing two month blocks except around the seaso turnover period. Something has come up which I shall take the great unwashed, and then probably ignore your decision.

Anyway, the games against the other cellar dwellers went well; even if there was luck involved in the Chippa Utd game. We knocked over the teams near us, and edged out SuperSport in the opening round of the cup.

Results_2014_03-04_19.jpg

Overall good results, the final game not withstanding, saw us elevate from the danger spots. While we are not going to get near mid-table, we should now be able to survive.

Table_2014_04_19.jpg

Only three league games, and I'm fairly sure there would be just one cup game, follow before season's end.

Fixtures_2014_After_04-19.jpg

That leaves me seeking an answer to this question:

Offer_Newcastle_AUS_2014_04_19.jpg

The Jets are scraped into 6th place after the regular season and bowed out in a Minor Semi-Final to Gold Coast United (who are now defunct in real life). Given the media had them predicted to finish 4th, a sacking for finishing 6th seems fairly harsh.

My first thought is to stay at Atlie and hope for an improved budget next season. On the other hand, the way the board treated things for this season; and the way every uncontracted player walked as soon as possible last off-season; does not give me much confidence any increase will be forthcoming.

I did say that I wanted to stay at Atlie long enough to see out my contract, and that still holds true. But the A-League holds some interest, as I am Australian, and I've never played FM in a salary capped league before. The lack of any cup competition in Australia is a downside.

Thoughts anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies to the few that read this, I have been ill and unable to focus for any period of time. Hopefully I will get going again some time in the next ciuple of days.

SRL88, you are probably right. Heading to the Jets is probably what I should do, its still tempting to stay though - there is unfinished business at Atlie and the board may have been stingy with the budgets for a reason.

• 1 month later...

Given the huge gap, for a number of reasons ranging from illness (nothing serious, just tiring) to simply not finding time for FM, the attachment to Atlie is not there any more - so the decision has been made. Off to Australia it is, and the Newcastle Jets.

I leave Atlie with three games remaining in the South African league season. It is the off season for the A-League, so there will be a chance to learn something about the squad before the league comes around.

No cups in Australia, just the league; which has a finals system - I'll explain that I f I get into it. No relegation either, so if finals aren't on offer the latter part of the season could get tedious.

It turned out that after accepting the offer, I have one final game with Atlie. A cup tie against the highly fancied Orlando Pirates. And it was one final upset victory, 2-1 away.

Results_2014_03-04_19.jpg

Table_2014_04_19.jpg

Career Summary
|2011/12|Atlie FC                  |SA First Division    |1  of 16|1st Round|Promoted as champions |
|2012/13|Atlie FC                  |SA Premier Division  |9  of 16|1st Round|                      |
|2013/14|Atlie FC                  |SA Premier Division  |11 of 16|         |Resigned - 3 to play  |
|2012/13|Atlie FC                  |Sth Africa Premier       | 9|12| 9| 51| 41| +10|               |
|       |                          |South African FA Cup     |  |  | 1|  1|  2|  -1|1st Round      |
|       |                          |Sth Africa Knockout Cup  |  |  | 1|  0|  2|  -2|1st Round      |
|       |                          |TOTAL                    | 9|12|11| 52| 45|  +7|               |
|2012/13|Atlie FC                  |Sth Africa Premier       | 8| 4|15| 34| 47| -13|3 games to play|
|       |                          |South African FA Cup     | 2|  |  |  3|  1|  +1|in 2nd Round   |
|       |                          |Sth Africa Knockout Cup  |  |  | 1|  4|  6|  -2|1st Round      |
|       |                          |TOTAL                    |10| 4|16| 39| 53| -16|               |
|GRAND TOTALS                                                                                      |
|Club / Nation                  Won  Drawn  Lost  Goals For Against   Diff   Date in Charge        |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Atlie FC (South Africa)         35     25    35        148     144     +4   06/07/2011-19/04/2014 |
|Newcastle Jets (Australia)                                                  20/04/2014-present    |

Titles and Awards

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6uUSZwc2vqncp9h4_-l-Az_VIhQ-MbqC6GhrS9alAkx-_5LcX

The Jets play at the 33000 capacity Ausgrid Satdium, primarily a rugby league ground and home to the Newcastle Knights in the NRL.

r513536_2795743.jpg

After finishing 6th of 10 in the regular season and being knocked out in week one of the finals the previous manager was sacked. Presumably the pressure will be on to produce a finish around the top four in my first season.

The finances are not good, a big loss being made this season. There appears to have been a big spike last season around Decmber that did not occur this time. I'm guessing that may have been Asian Champions League money.

A few different rules to work with include a salary cap plus marquee players outside the cap - one from anywhere, one Australian and three under-23s. There is a maximum squad size of 23, no more than 20 of whom are to be over 21 years old, and there are no more than 5 non-Australian players allowed.

There are currently 18 players in the squad, with four having contracts due at the end of next month. As I write this, I have done no more than turn up - I haven't looked at the players yet.

I would expect some changes to occur before the next update, which will probably be at the end of June and include all the champions leagues which are to finish up and the man international tournaments. Being 2014, there's a world cup being played over June and July.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre-Season 2014 (Update #1, 1st September)

The pre-season sure is long. I'll start with all the champions leagues that finished since I left Atlie. Some signings, leavings, etc, so far will follow.

There is also a World Cup update to come.

Firstly, the European Champions League

Previous Winners
|2012 |Barcelona               3    |Aresenal                      0    |
|2013 |Barcelona               6    |Aresenal                      0    |

|Juventus (Italy)             13  +6|Real Madrid (Spain)          12 +10|
|Olympique Lyonnais (France)  11  +3|Paris St Germain (France)     9  +1|
|Shakhtar (Ukraine)            8  -2|CSKA Moscow (Russia)          8  -4|
|Olympiakos (Greece)           1  -7|Fenerbahce (Turkey)           3  -7|
|Sevilla (Spain)              15 +14|Napoli (Italy)               14  +5|
|Arsenal (England)            15  +4|FC Bayern (Germany)          10  +6|
|Anderlecht (Belgium)          4  -5|Sporting (Portugal)           7  +6|
|PSv (Netherlands)             1 -15|Rosenberg (Norway)            1 -17|
|Barcelona (Spain)            13 +10|Manchester United (England)  16 +11|
|Werder Bremen (Germany)       8  -1|HSV (Germany)                 8   0|
|FC Kopenhavn (Denmark)        8  -2|Olimpique de Marseille (Fra.) 7  -2|
|SK Rapid Vien (Austria)       4  -7|Sparta Prague (Czech Rep.)    2  -9|
|Manchester City (England)    16  +9|Valencia (Spain)             14  +7|
|Celtic (Sctoland)            10  -1|AC Milan (Italy)             12  +9|
|FCP (Portugal)                7   0|Rubin (Russia)                7   0|
|Dynamo Kyiv (Ukraine)         1  -8|Basel (Switzerland)           0 -16|
|Arsenal (England)                      2       1            3          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      6       5           11          |
|AC Milan (Italy)                       4       1            5          |
|Manchester City (England)              1       2            3          |
|Paris St Germain (France)              0       2            2 away gls |
|Juventus (Italy)                       0       2            2          |
|Werder Bremen (Germany)                0       1            1          |
|Napoli (Italy)                         0       0            0          |
|Celtic (Sctoland)                      0       1            1          |
|Manchester United (England)            2       1            3          |
|Olympique Lyonnais (France)            4       0            4          |
|Sevilla (Spain)                        2       1            3          |
|HSV (Germany)                          0       0            0          |
|Real Madrid (Spain)                    4       2            6          |
|FC Bayern (Germany)                    1       0            1          |
|Valencia (Spain)                       0       4            4          |
|Werder Bremen (Germany)                2       2            4          |
|AC Milan (Italy)                       1       5            6          |
|Real Madrid (Spain)                    2       1            3          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      2       1            3 away gls |
|Manchester United (England)            0       3            3          |
|Valencia (Spain)                       1       1            2          |
|Olympique Lyonnais (France)            1       1            2          |
|Paris St Germain (France)              1       3            4          |
|AC Milan (Italy)                       1       0            1          |
|Paris St Germain (France)              2       1            3          |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      1       2            3          |
|Manchester United (England)            0       1            1          |
|EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL at Estadio de Luz, Lisbon, Portugal    |
|                                1/2 Time   Full Time Extra Time Pens   |
|Barcelona (Spain)                      0           0          0    5   |
|Paris St Germain (France)              0           0          0    4   |
|Andre Iniesta - FC Barcelona / Spain                                   |

And Barcelona's domination continues. Hammerred recent duel finalists Arsenal in the first knockout round.

To North America

Previous Winners
|2012 |Monterrey               3    |Pumas                         0    |
|2013 |Santos Laguna           2    |Monterrey                     1    |

|America (Mexico)             16 +10|Monterrey (Mexico)           12 +11|
|Real Salt Lake (USA)         10  +6|Alajuelense (Costa Rica)      7  -7|
|Puerto Rico Islanders         9  -3|Communicaciones (Guatemala)   6  -6|
|Arabe Unido (Panama)          0 -13|Orlando City SC (USA)         4  -4|
|Toluca (Mexico)              13  +6|Chivas (Mexico)              15  +6|
|Los Angeles (USA)            13  +5|Vancouver (Canada)            9  +5|
|Saprissa (Costa Rica)         8  -1|Colombus (USA)                3  -6|
|Marathon (Honduras)           0 -10|Olimpia (Hinduras)            0 -12|
|Real Salt Lake (USA)                   1       1            2          |
|Toluca (Mexico)                        2       2            4          |
|Alajuelense (Costa Rica)               0       0            0          |
|America (Mexico)                       5       1            6          |
|Vancouver (Canada)                     0       0            0          |
|Chivas (Mexico)                        2       1            3          |
|Los Angeles (USA)                      0       2            2          |
|Toluca (Mexico)                        2       1            3 away gls |
|Chivas (Mexico)                        3       1            4          |
|America (Mexico)                       1       2            3          |
|Chivas (Mexico)                           2       0            2       |
|Toluca (Mexico)                           0       1            1       |

Once again, its the Mexican clubs that are still there at the business end.

To the O-League

Previous Winners
|2012 |Auckland City           7    |Ba                            0    |
|     |(New Zealand)                |(Fiji)                             |
|2013 |Waitakere United        3    |Auckland City                 2    |
|     |(New Zealand)                |(New Zealand)                      |

|Waitakere United(New Zealand)18 +20|Auckland City (New Zealand)  16 +20|
|Kossa FC (Solomon Islands)   10   0|Tafea (Vanuatu)               8  -6|
|AS Venus (Tahiti)             7  -8|Ba (Fiji)                     6  -2|
|Hekari Utd (Papua New Guinea) 0 -12|AS Magenta (New Caledonia)    2 -12|
|Waitakere United (New Zealand)         2       4            6          |
|Auckland City (New Zealand)            1       0            1          |

Finally the South American Copa Libertadores

Previous Winners
|2012 |Fluminense              1    |Boca Juniors                  0    |
|     |(Brazil)                     |(Argentina)                        |
|     |Best Player : Leonardo Benitez - Estudiantes / Argentina         |
|2013 |Internacionale          3    |Sao Paulo                     3    |
|     |(Brazil)                pens |(Brazil)                           |
|     |Best Player : Lucas Moura - Sao Paulo / Brazil                   |

|Boca Juniors (Argentina)     15 +13|Pachuca (Mexico)*            16 +10|
|Santos (Brazil)              13  +4|Cesar Vallejo (Peru)          8   0|
|Penarol (Uruguay)             5  -5|Once Caldas (Colombia)        5  -5|
|Millonarios (Colombia)        1 -12|Nacional (Uruguay)            4  -5|
|Flamengo (Brazil)            16  +8|Estudientes LP (Argentina)   12  +5|
|Libertad (Paraguay)           8  +2|Olimpia (Paraguay)           11  +3|
|Santos Laguna (Mexico)*       6   0|Universidad Catolica (Chile)  5  -2|
|Liga de Quito (Ecuador)       2 -10|Barcelona (Ecuador)           5  -6|
|River Plate (Argentina)      13  +7|Sao Paulo (Brazil)           16 +10|
|Corinthians (Brazil)         10  +1|Racing Club (Argentina)       8  +5|
|Colo Colo (Chile)             9  -1|Deportivo Tachira (Venezuala) 7  -5|
|Tolima (Colombia)             3  -7|Bolivar (Bolivia)             2 -10|
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)*          15  +3|Gimnasia (Argentina)         13  +6|
|Fluminese (Brazil)            9  +3|Gremio (Brazil)              10  +2|
|Alianza (Peru)                9   0|Caracas (Venezuala)           5  -2|
|Oriene Petrolero (Bolivia)    3  -6|Universidad de Chile (Chile)  3  -6|
|Cesar Vallejo (Peru)                   0       2            2          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     1       2            3          |
|Libertad (Paraguay)                    2       1            3          |
|Pachuca (Mexico)*                      2       2            4          |
|Racing Club (Argentina)                1       1            2          |
|Flamengo (Brazil)                      2       1            3          |
|Fluminese (Brazil)                     4       0            4          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               2       2            4 away gls |
|Gremio (Brazil)                        2       1            3 pen      |
|Cruz Azul (Mexico)*                    1       2            3          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   3       1            4          |
|River Plate (Argentina)                0       1            1          |
|Olimpia (Paraguay)                     1       0            1          |
|Gimnasia (Argentina)                   1       2            3          |
|Santos (Brazil)                        1       0            1          |
|Estudientes LP (Argentina)             2       2            4          |
|Estudientes LP (Argentina)             3       1            4          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     3       3            6          |
|Gimnasia (Argentina)                   2       2            4          |
|Pachuca (Mexico)*                      1       2            3          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   1       2            3          |
|Flamengo (Brazil)                      1       1            2          |
|Gremio (Brazil)                        1       1            2          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               1       3            4          |
|Gimnasia (Argentina)                   2       1            3          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               0       0            0          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   3       0            3          |
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)                     0       0            0          |
|Corinthians (Brazil)                   0       0            0          |
|Boca Juniors (Argentina)               3       1            4          |
|Best Player : Denis Stracqualarsi - Boca Juniors / Argentina           |

Previous Club Update

Atile FC picked up two points in their final three games after my departure to reamain in 11th.

==========================================================================
|Atile FC, South Africa                                                  |
|Year   |League                       |Cups            |Notes            |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2013/14|SA Premier 11th of 16        |FA - 1/4 Finals |Departed with 3  |
|       |                             |                |games to play    |
==========================================================================

125px-Newcastle_United_Jets_Logo.svg.png

Just the two friendlies played so far, with the league not beginning until October. Not good results, particularly given I played close to a first choice team.

Results_2014_06-08.jpg

Possibly my best pick-up so far has been Nagamura. While he's nothing really special, he should do more than just fill a gap. I am chasing a few others, but feel reasonably settled that once the side gels it should be competitive in the league - once it finally gets underway.

Player_2014_08_01_Paulo_Nagamura.jpg

Hopefully there will be some more news regarding signings in the next update, and the World Cup wrap.

Pre Season Update #2, 1st October

Unfortunately not much action on the transfers in or out. I need to offload a few who are wasted, over-age and not fitting into the maximum squad size.

A goalkeeper was the only player to come in. Again, nothing special but an improvement on what wa available.

Overall, I'm fairly confident this squad can do OK in the league, hopefully even a little better. The remainder of the friendlies were against slightly beter oposition than the first couple. Only one was against A-League quality opposition though, in the form of Melbourne Heart. Apart from the opening minutes, we controlled the game and the eventual scoreline perhaps wasn't a true reflection of how much we were on top across the park.

Results_2014_09.jpg

And finally, as promised

The 2014 FIFA World Cup

==================================================================
|                                                                |
| GROUP A                                                        |
|                                                      PTS  GD   |
| Cyprus          0 - 2 Brazil                                   |
| Nigeria         0 - 0 Japan           BRAZIL           7  +6   |
| Brazil          1 - 1 Nigeria         CYPRUS           4  -1   |
| Japan           0 - 1 Cyprus                                   |
| Japan           0 - 4 Brazil          Nigeria          3   0   |
| Nigeria         0 - 0 Cyprus          Japan            1  -5   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| GROUP B                                                        |
| Italy           2 - 0 Saudi Arabia                             |
| Peru            1 - 5 Russia          ITALY            9  +5   |
| Russia          2 - 3 Italy           RUSSIA           6  +4   |
| Saudi Arabia    2 - 4 Peru                                     |
| Peru            0 - 2 Italy           Peru             3  -4   |
| Russia          2 - 1 Saudi Arabia    Saudi Arabia     0  -5   |
| GROUP C                                                        |
| Costa Rica      0 - 1 Croatia         COLOMBIA         7  +3   |
| Sctoland        1 - 1 Colombia        SCOTLAND         5  +1   |
| Croatia         1 - 2 Scotland                                 |
| Colombia        2 - 0 Costa Rica      Croatia          3  -1   |
| Costa Rica      0 - 0 Scotland        Costa Rica       1  -3   |
| Croatia         1 - 2 Colombia                                 |
| GROUP D                                                        |
| Chile           1 - 1 Germany         SOUTH KOREA      5  +1   |
| England         1 - 1 South Korea     GERMANY          5  +1   |
| South Korea     1 - 0 Chile                                    |
| Germany         1 - 0 England         England          4  +1   |
| Chile           0 - 2 England         Chile            1  -3   |
| Germany         1 - 1 South Korea                              |
| GROUP E                                                        |
| Cameroon        2 - 1 Mexico          CAMEROON         9  +4   |
| Czech Republic  0 - 3 Uruguay         URUGUAY          6  +3   |
| Mexico          1 - 2 Czech Republic                           |
| Uruguay         0 - 1 Cameroon        Czech Republic   3  -4   |
| Cameroon        2 - 0 Czech Republic  Mexico           0  -3   |
| Mexico          0 - 1 Uruguay                                  |
| GROUP F                                                        |
| Argentina       2 - 1 Portugal        ARGENTINA        9  +6   |
| China           2 - 2 Ivory Coast     IVORY COAST      4   0   |
| Portugal        2 - 0 China                                    |
| Ivory Coast     0 - 3 Argentina       Portugal         3  -2   |
| Argentina       4 - 2 China           China            1  -4   |
| Portugal        1 - 4 Ivory Coast                              |
| GROUP G                                                        |
| Mali            1 - 1 USA             SWITZERLAND      9  +7   |
| Spain           0 - 1 Switzerland     SPAIN            4  +1   |
| Switzerland     4 - 0 Mali                                     |
| USA             1 - 3 Spain           Mali             2  -4   |
| Mali            1 - 1 Spain           USA              1  -4   |
| USA             0 - 2 Switzerland                              |
| GROUP H                                                        |
| Bosnia & Herz.  0 - 2 Congo           HOLLAND          9  +5   |
| Australia       0 - 3 Holland         CONGO            4  +1   |
| Congo           0 - 0 Australia                                |
| Holland         1 - 0 Bosniz & Herz.  Australia        2  -3   |
| Australia       0 - 0 Bosnia & Herz.  Bosniz & Herz.   1  -3   |
| Holland         1 - 0 Congo                                    |
|================================================================|
| SECOND ROUND                                                   |
| Russia       1 - 3 Brazil       | HT 0-1                       |
| Cyprus       0 - 1 Italy        | HT 0-1                       |
| Colombia     2 - 0 Germany      | HT 0-0                       |
| South Korea  1 - 0 Scotland     | HT 1-0                       |
| Ivory Coast  1 - 1 Cameroon     | HT 1-0  FT 1-1 Pen 6-5       |
| Argentina    0 - 2 Uruguay      | HT 0-2                       |
| Congo        0 - 2 Switzerland  | HT 0-1                       |
| Spain        3 - 0 Holland      | HT 1-0                       |
| QUARTER FINALS                                                 |
| Brazil       3 - 0 South Korea  | HT 1-0                       |
| Italy        2 - 1 Colombia     | HT 0-0                       |
| Ivory Coast  2 - 3 Spain        | HT 0-0  FT 2-2               |
| Uruguay      4 - 0 Switzerland  | HT 3-0                       |
| SEMI FINALS                                                    |
|                HT         FT         ET      Pens              |
| Brazil          1          3                                   |
| Uruguay         0          1                                   |
| Italy           0          1                                   |
| Spain           2          3                                   |
| THIRD PLACED PLAYOFF                                           |
|                HT         FT         ET      Pens              |
| Italy           0          0          2                        |
| Uruguay         0          0          0                        |

2014 FIFA World Cup Final

125px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png v 125px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png

|          BRAZIL                            SPAIN               |
|               0          HALF  TIME            0               |
|               0          FULL  TIME            0               |
|               0          EXTRA TIME            0               |
|               2           PEALTIES             4               |

SPAIN won the World Cup on penalties

Cheers, cerud. I must admit I hdn't really thought about MLS, but you just never know wher FM will take you.

October, 2014

Season Expectations:

Board: Safe mid-table

Mine: Unsure really, certainly make finals, maybe aim for around 4th

Media Predicition: 8th

The season began with a trip to the Gold Coast. After some early trouble we got away with a solid enough 3-1 win and all was looking good.

Our first home game was less successful, going down to local rivals Central Coast in a game that was probably even overall.

Then the trip to Adelaide. Adelaide hadn't scored before we made our trip there. And they dominated us, but our defence held firm and we opened the scoring against the run of play. That was quickly followed by a second and we started to control the flow of the game as well as the scoreboard. That was, until Billy Mehmet tore the game open for Adelaide. Two goals in three minutes and we were reeling. We held out for a draw against the bottom of the table.

Back home against Melbourne Heart, the ball was all ours, but despite quite a few good chances we failed to find the net. Nil-all really was not the result the way the game was played would suggest. Somtimes luck just doesn't go your way, the Heart game was one of those times.

Results_2014_10.jpg

Table_2014_11_01.jpg

And my next match:

Games_100.jpg

Archived