Former captain (so-and-so) no longer wishes to be considered for the captaincy

Does anyone know how to change this?

When I took over my club there was a 19 year old vice captain, who I replaced with an older player that was more suitable. Now every year when it's time to finalise my captain I get the message that this guy doesn't want to be considered for the captaincy.

I never really cared about this in previous saves but this guy is now old enough to take on the responsibility, and his influence score is second highest at the club.

Has anyone seen this attitude turn around before?

I think it's probably coded that if you remove a player from a leadership role, then they will not want to be re-considered at any point. It's a shame you don't have the opportunity to explain why you're removing them from the role.

I've had a similar situation where I've appointed a player into a leadership role at too young an age, it has clearly affected his performances so I've removed him. A few years later when he is more suitable, but he won't have a bar of it.

Funny that, since in real life if i remember rightly, David O'Leary replaced Olof Mellberg as captain in favour of Gareth Barry, only for Barry to be sent off against Portsmouth. Then he reinstated Mellberg after a few matches i believe when he realised his mistake, Gareth Barry would of course become a future full time captain after Mellberg decided to relinquish the role in his final season for us.

So in summary, these two players over many seasons were removed and replaced but still retook the job when offered it back

• 3 weeks later...

So if anyone's interested, the guy is now 24 and willing to be the team captain again. There was no particular news item, just the line about him not wanting to be considered for the captaincy was no longer displayed on the 'choose captain' alert.

He is now my captain and most of the other players were happy about it, though of course my best player complained that he thought he was a better choice - despite having an influence attribute four points lower.

Archived