+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AI Experiment - The Bandits, The Sheriffs and FM12

Amateur

YES! Bandits are going to destroy the next league, Sunderland really got their hands full with two idiots.

Amateur

Pretty much as I predicted...though I expected a bit more movement in the spring transfer window. Looks like Hay was the only Bandit to leave...and Anderson (DC) didn't keep the starlett DCs out of the team that often...how many appearances did he end up with?

Next season...Bandits to run away with the title again, Sherriffs close on their heels. I think the Sherriffs will get their revenge in the first matchup between the two...but the Bandits will sweep the rest of the heads-up matches!
    Hope to see some transfer activity...see how the managers handle incoming talent...and maybe some decent youths will show up through their academies!

Amateur

Man I really hope the Idiots CA will rise this time around. Elsewise i hope that when all the starlets have left the Bandits we Sheriffs will crush them with our superior transfer system skills. One can hope right?

Part-Timer

Yeah! We have cruised the league as expected. Strike force is way over the scope of the level we are at so I am guessing another roller coasting this season. Let's keep the win streak over Sheriffs and I'll be more than happy!

Reserves

Fantastic updates Kip.

ONly thing I'd mention is that the screenshots seem quite small? Any way you can make them bigger going forward, or is it just me?

Also, do all the starlets have 20 for aggression? That seems quite odd. Finally, you've classed Newcastle as underachieving in the league roundup, but they finished 7th. Seems like a pretty good season for them.

But yeah, great season for The Bandits. My prediction that The Sherrifs would fair slightly better in the first season was clearly incorrect. And poor Sunderland, my real life favourite club. Having 2 idiots really didn't do them any favours. I'm hoping they bounce straight back up.

Can't wait for the transfer window roundup now to see who goes where. Will The Bandits have any starlets left next year?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by chopper99 View Post
    Fantastic updates Kip.

ONly thing I'd mention is that the screenshots seem quite small? Any way you can make them bigger going forward, or is it just me?

Also, do all the starlets have 20 for aggression? That seems quite odd. Finally, you've classed Newcastle as underachieving in the league roundup, but they finished 7th. Seems like a pretty good season for them.
    Yeah, I scaled the images down - won't do that again.

And yes, the starlets have high aggression - I used to think this was a negative statistic, but I don't think it is, which is borne out by their lack of cards.

Part-Timer

Great update, really enjoyed reading that with my morning coffee

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by kipfizh View Post
    Yeah, I scaled the images down - won't do that again.

And yes, the starlets have high aggression - I used to think this was a negative statistic, but I don't think it is, which is borne out by their lack of cards.
    Cool.

That's quite interesting in regards to aggression. So how dirty a player is looks to be completely determined by hidden attributes and personality?

Part-Timer

Cool.

That's quite interesting in regards to aggression. So how dirty a player is looks to be completely determined by hidden attributes and personality?
    I always related aggression to how aggressively the player will try to do things on the pitch, i.e tackling, closing down an opponent. So what I believe was aggression was mainly effective on defensive minded players if you are instructing them to close down and get in physical touch. As long as they know what they are doing and not just flying into reckless tackles, aggression may provide an edge. That is my assumption though.

Third Team

Finance and Staff

Finance

Barcelona and Real Madrid lead the way with the Sheriffs an impressive fourth with an estimated value of £227m. Weirdly, the Bandits are valued at just £18.25m, and are nowhere to be seen.
    Rich Clubs

Bandits Balance – £17.5m, with a transfer budget of £9.6m.
    Sheriffs Balance - £19.9m, with a transfer budget of £12.1m.

Former Manager Watch

No former managers.
    The estimated values are interesting. What were they at the start of the season? Any reason why they are so vastly different?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by 5ergio View Post
    I always related aggression to how aggressively the player will try to do things on the pitch, i.e tackling, closing down an opponent. So what I believe was aggression was mainly effective on defensive minded players if you are instructing them to close down and get in physical touch. As long as they know what they are doing and not just flying into reckless tackles, aggression may provide an edge. That is my assumption though.
    I think in FM11 if you fined a player for prior dismissal then their aggression could drop as a result, the player attempting to curb their behaviour.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I think in FM11 if you fined a player for prior dismissal then their aggression could drop as a result, the player attempting to curb their behaviour.
    It can still happen in FM2012.

Third Team

Brilliant stuff.

I must say, I'm really hooked to this, having followed all three editions. Great job kip.

Amateur

Brilliant update! I am honestly surprised at the number of players with caps though. Though they are clearly talented, with such low reputations in such low leagues, how is it that they have been noticed by their international teams but not by larger teams within the country? Even from a League 1 or 2 side? I did notice in the screen shots however that a fair few players are now wanted by other clubs.
    It will be interesting to see how many of those hang around and how many depart for pastures new.

Looking forward to the next update already!

Aggression is the willingness of a player to get involved in physical play even at the expense of a card or two. In conjunction with the wrong PPMs and stats it can be reckless but should never be confused with dirtiness.

Amateur

Surprised about Scotland. I assume they were without their captain darren fletcher as well. Impressive.

Semi Pro

With regards to the images, you can use Steam's screenshot service to take screenshots. By default the key is F12 - these can then be accessed using the Steam menu (View > Screenshots). You can then upload them onto the Steam Cloud. To get the image link view the image in your online library and click on View full size - you then get the URL for the picture by right clicking and selecting Copy Page URL. Insert this link into IMG tags and you have the picture (it's a good service, not sure why people don't use it, maybe they just don't know about it.)

Amateur

Made my day to see you started this again Kip!

Will be interesting to see if the Bandits' inevitable success keeps their crap manager in the job, or if their smart chairman will upgrade ASAP. Also keen to see how the starlets nationality affects where they move to.

Amateur

Only started reading this now but its a great experiment, at some stage I will have to go back and read the last two.

My predictions are as follows:

I did think the Bandits were going to pip the sheriffs in the league, but I didn't expect the sheriffs to drop the points they did.

Future predictions are controversial but I'll put them out there:

1. Sheriffs will shift quite a few faces in the transfer window and sign a few gems.

2. Bandits wont spend money, maybe buy one or two but keep the core of their team.

3. Sheriffs will buy their way up through the leagues and Bandits will use their talent as long as they can keep them.

4. Ultimately I think the Bandits might beat the sheriffs to league titles in the lower leagues but once they hit the football league I think the Sheriffs might pull ahead due to their ruthless attitude and pressure from the fans.

I am interested to see how long the starlets stay at the club though but I think the sheriffs sloths will dissolve sooner rather than later and will be replaced with players that will have a much better attitude and ultimately lead them to more success.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by magicmastermind124 View Post
    With regards to the images, you can use Steam's screenshot service to take screenshots. By default the key is F12 - these can then be accessed using the Steam menu (View > Screenshots). You can then upload them onto the Steam Cloud. To get the image link view the image in your online library and click on View full size - you then get the URL for the picture by right clicking and selecting Copy Page URL. Insert this link into IMG tags and you have the picture (it's a good service, not sure why people don't use it, maybe they just don't know about it.)
    Awesome, thanks for this!

Part-Timer

European Championship 2012 - Preview

Hosts: Poland/Ukraine
    Holders: Spain

Group A: Croatia, Greece, Scotland, Ukraine
    Group B: Germany, Poland, Portugal, Sweden
    Group C: Denmark, England, Holland, Slovakia
    Group D: France, Italy, Slovenia, Spain

Scotland, now ranked 11th in the world, may fancy their chances of getting out of Group A, while co-hosts Poland have a tough challenge in Group B, with three difficult opponents. England’s group could be worse, and they will look to accompany the Dutch into the knockout stages, but Group D is the painful one, where holders Spain face France and Italy as well as the unenviable Slovenia.

Notable absentees: Norway (16th in world), Russia (17th)
    Highest ranked absentee: Norway (16th)

Starlets:
    None

Idiots
    None

World stars
    Ronaldo (Portugal)

Just the single world star in Ronaldo, with all the starlets too young and raw to feature.

Part-Timer

This is my understanding too, and it will be interesting to see how the starlets cope with the high aggression. So far, they have barely picked up any cards, so it appears to be channeled extremely well.

The idiots also have high aggression, but crucially, their dirtiness stat is 20, and they have the PPMs of diving into tackles and arguing with referees. These three factors, combined with their sheer insanity, ensure that they spend a good few matches suspended.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Kenco View Post
    The estimated values are interesting. What were they at the start of the season? Any reason why they are so vastly different?
    They were equal at the start of the season, and I have absolutely no explanation for the disparity. They have similarly valued squads and similar bank balances, but wildly different estimated values. Bit of a mystery, that one.

Part-Timer

European Championship 2012 – Report

Group A:

Co-hosts Ukraine got off to a poor start in Group A, losing 2-1 to Croatia, while Scotland’s increased world ranking failed to help them as they went down 1-0 to Greece. A 2-0 defeat to Croatia days later put the Scots on the brink of elimination, while Ukraine were also struggling in their home tournament, drawing 1-1 with Greece.

With Croatia already assured of a place in the knockout rounds, they eased up, losing 1-0 to the Greeks and rendering the result of Ukraine-Scotland meaningless. The match finished 1-1, and Scotland ended the campaign rooted to the bottom.

Group B:

The tournament’s other co-hosts, Poland, had the daunting task of facing Portugal in their opening game, and like Ukraine, they lost, going down 1-0 to a Ronaldo strike. Perhaps surprisingly, Germany and Sweden played out a 1-1 draw in the other game.

Any hopes that Poland would bounce back were quickly dashed, Sweden beating them 2-1, and another 1-1 draw for Germany, this time against Portugal, left them needing a victory to qualify. And a victory they got, beating Poland 1-0 to leave the co-hosts without a single point, while Portugal crushed Sweden 4-0 to top the group.

Group C:

Group C started with a crunch clash between Holland and England, and when Van Persie put the Dutch ahead early, it looked bad. But Lennon equalised, before Rooney slammed home the winner six minutes into Fergie, er, I mean added time. Denmark cruised to a 2-0 win over Slovakia in the other game.

England and Holland then made short work of their next opponents, England dispatching Slovakia 4-1 and Holland defeating Denmark 2-0 to make them strong favourites to qualify together. Even though Denmark held England to a goalless draw in the final game, they still won the group, with Holland finishing runners up after thumping hapless Slovakia 4-0.

Group D:

And so to the proverbial Group of Death. Any assumption that Slovenia would roll over were eradicated when they drew 0-0 with Italy, while Spain were opening the defence of their crown with a 2-1 win over France thanks to a Llorente goal two minutes from time.

France bounced back well days later to thump Slovenia 3-0 and put themselves back in contention, while Spain confirmed their qualification with a 2-1 win over Italy. As with Croatia in Group A though, Spain then slipped up, suffering a shock 2-1 defeat to Slovenia, which meant France v Italy was a straight shootout for second place. Italy won it in style – 3-0, and France suffered the ignimony of finishing bottom.

Summary

France crash out, but otherwise it is a very strong quarter final lineup.

Part-Timer

Quarter Finals: (group winners on the left):

1. Greece v Germany
    2. Portugal v Croatia
    3. England v Italy
    4. Spain v Holland

Semi Finals:

5. Winner of 1 v Winner of 4
    6. Winner of 2 v Winner of 3

Final:

7. Winner of 5 v Winner of 6

A couple of enormous clashes in there – England v Italy and Spain v Holland are mouthwatering. Predictions?

Amateur

Hope Greece can do it like its 2004

Reserves

Those are some pretty tasty quarter final matches.

Hopefully England can beat Italy and then get revenge on Portugal.

Third Team

IRL England would lose to Italy on pens, but in FM I fancy them to sneak through to face Portugal. Greece to surprise Germany and Spain to beat the Dutch.

Amateur

Germany, Portugal, Italy, Spain are my predictions. Spain to win it all though.

Part-Timer

European Championship 2012 – Quarter Final

Remaining starlets:
    None

Remaining idiots
    None

Remaining world stars
    Ronaldo (Portugal)

Greece v Germany

Not an awful lot to say about this one – Germany cruised to a 2-0 win and were barely threatened by Greece, who came into the match as the team who had won their group. Germany will take some stopping.

Portugal v Croatia

Croatia played well for half an hour without ever really threatening, and when Portugal scored after 35 minutes the result looked inevitable. Danny added his second of the game with 17 minutes to go, and Ronaldo added the icing on the cake at the end.

England v Italy

Italy came flying out of the blocks and could have scored twice in the opening three minutes, before Rooney caught them with a sucker punch in the fourth. But Italy didn’t waver, and Balotelli levelled six minutes later, and deservedly so.

But after 15 minutes, England were ahead again through Ferdinand, and despite constant pressure from Italy, they couldn’t find a second equaliser, and England were through.

Spain v Holland

On paper, this was the tie of the round, with the World Cup Final of 2010 getting a second airing. Any hopes that the game would be less feisty were dashed when the first yellow card was handed out after five minutes. But then game settled down, before Huntelaar put the Dutch ahead on 66 minutes.

Then the game turned sour, with five more yellow cards before the dying moments of the game, when David Villa equalised for the holders. Into extra time, and Holland lost the plot, picking up another four yellows to rack up a total of eight in the game, and their mood was hardly helped when Negredo scored the winner for Spain five minutes from the shoot out.

Reserves

Come on England!!!

Part-Timer

Oh boi! England vs Portugal & Germany vs Spain in the semis! I sense some penalty shoot outs!

Amateur

Rooney red card after "kicking" Ronaldo.

Part-Timer

European Championship 2012 – Semi Final

Remaining starlets:
    None

Remaining idiots
    None

Remaining world stars
    Ronaldo (Portugal)

Germany v Spain

After their quarter final thrill ride, Spain came into the first semi-final looking jaded, and Germany took full advantage, racing into a three goal lead before half time. Iniesta pulled one back after the break, but it wasn’t to be enough, and the holders were out.

Portugal v England

With Portugal a bogey side for England, the first half was incredibly cagey, with neither keeper particularly tested. In the second half, disaster struck for England when Ferdinand put through his own net, and despite their best efforts, they couldn’t equalise, and Portugal had once again dumped them out of a major tournament.

Amateur

Portugal eliminating England? What a surprise hah. KUTGW Kip, I'm so glad this is back. And here's to hoping that Porugal get thrashed in the final! Haha.

Amateur

Wow, Spain surprised me! This is proving to be an interesting tournament!

Amateur

Got a feeling that the Germans will win this. Efficient vs Ronaldo. Could be close. England so close yet so far

Amateur

Just out of curiosity is it the default Germany squad, or the fixed Germany squad?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFan86 View Post
    Just out of curiosity is it the default Germany squad, or the fixed Germany squad?
    It is the default one.

Part-Timer

European Championship 2012 – Final

Remaining starlets:
    None

Remaining idiots
    None

Remaining world stars
    Ronaldo (Portugal)

Germany v Portugal

Germany went into the final as strong favourites, but their plans were thrown out of the window in the eighth minute when Kevin Fink was sent off for an awful two footed challenge. On the stroke of half time, Postiga made them pay, and with Portugal showing greater fitness in the second half, they scored the second in the 89th minute through Moutinho.

Portugal are the champions, and fittingly Ronaldo, their best player and the sole world star at the tournament, picked up the Best Player award.

Third Team

Pfft, Winker Ronaldo.

First Team Squad Member

Postiga

</bitter Spurs fan>

Part-Timer

European Championship ends, transfer windows opens, excitement heightens

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by spotg View Post
    Postiga

</bitter Spurs fan>
    Mind the gap.

</chuckling Arsenal fan>

First Team Squad Member

Mind the gap.

</chuckling Arsenal fan>
    :mad: .

Part-Timer

Season report – 2012/13 – Summer Transfer Window

With a stunning 2011/12 season under their belts, the Bandits looked forward to their new life in the seventh tier of English football, or more specifically the Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division (oh the glamour). Joining them were the Sheriffs, who definitely came out second best last season but will be looking to make amends.

The first priority was to keep hold of their star players, but for the Bandits, the summer started badly in that regard. Highly rated youngster Stuart Cox (PA 176) was the first to go, Tranmere snapping him up for a paltry £18k, before Centre Back 1 was attracted to the European game, signing for Basle for £425k.

Right Back 1 made the switch to the Premiership, signing for Wigan for £950k, and the club’s two best strikers were to follow, Striker 1 joining Sheff Utd to £575k and Striker 3 linking up with Wolves for a club record £1.3m.

And that wasn’t it – Bristol City and Blackpool picked up Attacking Mid 1 and Centre Back 3 respectively, both for £850k, and finally Left Back 1 joined Norwich for £825k. In all, seven starlets left the club, leaving just four of the group who started with 100 CA, although all eleven of the backup starlets stuck around. Fifteen starlets are surely enough to succeed in the non-league game, but their strength in depth is certainly weaker than before. A shame to lose Cox too – he was a talent.

And what of the Sheriffs? With ambition and antagonism in their dressing room, it was widely predicted that they would lose more of their stars than the Bandits, but in reality this wasn’t the case. The only idiot of the remaining six to leave with Driven Idiot GK, who flew to Italy to join Cesena. The Sheriffs’ only other disappointment was losing young Thomas Holloway, whose 170 PA was something to be nurtured. He moved to Chesterfield for £24k.

So the Sheriffs are left with all four lazy idiots, plus Driven Idiot Str. They should be fine.

They certainly started well – after a series of big wins in pre-season against non-league opposition, they opened their campaign with 3-0 wins away at Brackley and Weston-super-Mare. These were quickly followed up by 6-1 and 6-0 wins over St. Albans and Basingstoke respectively, as they ended the transfer window with a perfect record.

As for the Bandits, they had the regional pre-season curtain raiser to play, as they faced the champions of the Southern Premier, the league the Bandits were now in, in a tie that I honestly don’t understand the importance of. In any case, the Bandits raced to a 6-0 win to signal serious intent, made all the more impressive by the fact that Banbury, their opponents, had been promoted to the Blue Square North, one rung above them.

And they took that form into the league season, following up a 5-0 opening day win with a trio of 8-0 destructions, of Hemel Hempstead, Stourbridge and Barwell. This, of course, denied the Sheriffs top spot as August turned to September, the Bandits claiming that position on goal difference.

Here we go again.

Part-Timer

Squad Analysis – Bandits (Sep 1 2012)

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA (change)

Goalkeeper 1, 18, GK, 127-200 (+24)
    Left Mid 1, 18, LM/LW, 125-200 (+20)
    Defensive Mid 1, 18, DM/CM, 121-200 (+18)
    Right Mid 1, 18, RM/RW, 120-200 (+19)
    Centre Back 2, 18, SW/DC, 111-200 (+27)
    Centre Back 4, 18, SW/DC, 110-200 (+28)
    Defensive Mid 2, 18, DM/CM, 109-200 (+28)
    Left Mid 2, 18, LM/LW, 109-200 – new entry in top 20
    Striker 2, 18, ST, 108-200 – new entry in top 20
    Striker 4, 18, ST, 107-200 – new entry in top 20
    Attacking Mid 2, 18, CM/AM, 105-200 (+24)
    Anderson, 29, DC, 105-115 (-6)
    Right Back 2, 18, RB/RWB, 104-200 – new entry in top 20
    Goalkeeper 2, 18, GK, 103-200 – new entry in top 20
    Left Back 2, 18, LB/LWB, 101-200 (-3)
    Right Mid 2, 18, RM/RW, 100-200 – new entry in top 20
    Ramsey, 20, AM C, 81-162 – youth product
    Cargill, 18, DC, 75-140 – youth product
    Hemming, 17, GK, 74-139 – youth product
    Williams, 18, DM, 71-141 – youth product

Players from last season’s top 20 who have left the club:
    Hay, 27, M RL, 112-115
    Centre Back 1, 17, SW/DC, 105-200
    Centre Back 3, 17, SW/DC, 105-200
    Attacking Mid 1, 17, CM/AM, 104-200
    Left Back 1, 17, LB/LWB, 104-200
    Right Back 1, 17, RB/RWB, 104-200
    Striker 1, 17, ST, 104-200
    Striker 3, 17, ST, 104-200
    Cox, 17, ML, 89-176
    Hawkins, 17, M LC, 89-173
    Yildirim, 24, AMC, 82-115

Players from last season’s top 20 who have dropped out:
    None

Notable others:
    None

Not as strong as last year, in terms of depth, but some fantastic rises in ability from the committed starlets makes them far too good for this league.

CA of X or above (excluding starlets and idiots):

190 : 00, 00
    180 : 00, 00
    170 : 00, 00
    160 : 00, 00
    150 : 00, 00
    140 : 00, 00
    130 : 00, 00
    120 : 00, 00
    110 : 02, 00
    100 : 02, 01
    90 : 02, 01
    80 : 06, 02
    70 : 08, 05
    60 : 11, 11

Quite telling stats – at the beginning of last season, the Bandits had six players (non starlets) with a CA of 80+, but this season, there are only two. Of course, the starlets should drag them along, but it is a concern for when they leave.

Part-Timer

Squad Analysis – Sheriffs (Sep 1 2012)

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA (change)

Lazy Idiot GK, 18, GK, 150-200 (-)
    Lazy Idiot Def, 18, SW/DC/LB/LWB/RB/RWB, 150-200 (-)
    Lazy Idiot Mid, 18, DM/MC/AM/LM/LW/RM/RW, 150-200 (-)
    Lazy Idiot Str, 18, ST, 148-200 (-2)
    Driven Idiot Str, 18, ST, 125-200 (-)
    Hamilton, 28, AMC, 109-115 (+1)
    Oakes, 16, DC/DM, 91-167 – youth product
    Daley, 29, GK, 89-115 (-20)
    Nelthorpe, 16, ST, 85-158 – youth product
    Hajji, 17, D RLC, 84-156 (+9)
    Horlock, 18, ST, 81-152 (+5)
    Jones, 18, ST, 80-134 (+20)
    Pickup, 17, DL, 73-128 – youth product
    Whittaker, 18, ST, 69-135 (+13)
    Seavill, 17, GK, 61-115 – youth product
    Martin, 16, DC/DM, 59-129 – youth product
    Tyler, 21, DL, 55-115 – new entry in top 20
    Hopkins, 17, DC, 54-106 – youth product
    Howard, 18, DC, 53-101 – youth product
    Laws, 17, M RL, 51-112 – youth product

Players from last season’s top 20 who have left the club:
    Driven Idiot GK, 17, GK, 125-200
    Driven Idiot Def, 17, SW/DC/LB/LWB/RB/RWB, 125-200
    Driven Idiot Mid, 17, DM/MC/AM/LM/LW/RM/RW, 125-200
    Zabek, 27, D LC, 103-115
    Holloway, 16, AM LC, 87-170
    Mogg, 16, DM, 70-146
    Mansell, 17, M LC, 66-125
    Casey, 22, AM LC, 63-109
    Gape, 17, DR, 61-122

Players from last season’s top 20 who have dropped out:
    None

Notable others:
    None

A squad driven as much by the youth academy as anything – they continue to have a decent squad and some of the kids are ready to play immediately.

CA of X or above (excluding starlets and idiots):

190 : 00, 00
    180 : 00, 00
    170 : 00, 00
    160 : 00, 00
    150 : 00, 00
    140 : 00, 00
    130 : 00, 00
    120 : 00, 00
    110 : 00, 00
    100 : 03, 01
    90 : 03, 02
    80 : 04, 07
    70 : 07, 08
    60 : 11, 10

The Sheriffs have less cream at the top, with only one player (non-idiot) in the 100 CA bracket, but they have far more at 80+ than before.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by spotg View Post
    :mad: .
    Sorry - low blow....

First Team Squad Member

Keep the updates coming and I might forgive you ;)

Part-Timer

Slightly disappointing transfer window with only players going out. Were there any news items for either club indicating they were trying to sign players?

Part-Timer

Fantastic update! I'm quite shocked that so many starlets left but so little players from the Sheriffs.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by daemonic View Post
    Slightly disappointing transfer window with only players going out. Were there any news items for either club indicating they were trying to sign players?
    Nothing at all. Mind you, you have to bear in mind that the CAs in the league they are in are around 40-50, so even their 16-17 year old youth products would be star players at this level. There is every chance that the manager is looking at their squad, realising that they are miles ahead of the league, and saving the money until they are a couple of rungs higher.

Sign players when you need to - at the moment they probably don't. The only counter-argument is that if the Sheriffs signed some players, they might emerge from the shadow of the Bandits.

Third Team

Top starlets leave as expected, I'm intrigued to see how the second wave get on.

The Sheriffs look pretty strong this season and I think they will be closer, but The Bandits will have too much for them and will win the league again.

Part-Timer

Haha Striker 2 (Paraguay) will come to the fore now. Any idea who scored most of the goals so far. How is my striker doing

Third Team

Exciting!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by glennuk View Post
    Haha Striker 2 (Paraguay) will come to the fore now. Any idea who scored most of the goals so far. How is my striker doing
    Striker 2 (Paraguay) should improve in training more, now that he has more time to devote with not having to clean Striker 1's (Tahiti) boots this year ;)

Part-Timer

Both clubs have done a lot better than in the last experiment at keeping hold of their players. Should have enough in the tank to storm the next few divisions. Great stuff!

Amateur

It's a shame that their squads are weaker this season, which means less chance for surprising FA cup runs. Can't wait till they reach league football.

Amateur

Some nice progression on the CAs of the starletts...and nice additions via the youth academies too

Amateur

Managing to keep players for as long as they have, they should make it to the conference divisions with a few starlets left. I expect those who left to achieve fame a lot quicker. Expect some more international call ups but less starting time at club level.

Cant wait for the next update!

Part-Timer

Striker 1 joining Sheff Utd to £575k
    Am I the only one who misread that initially as Sheriffs?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by 7Bestie7 View Post
    Yes lol! ;);)

Amateur

Wouldn't that be something? Wonder if the manager is astute enough to try to have the starlet tutor the idiot if that happened???

Get rid of some of that negativity the idiots possess

Part-Timer

Would that make the Idiot a Starliot? Or perhaps an Idilet?

Part-Timer

Would that make the Idiot a Starliot? Or perhaps an Idilet?
    I think "Idlet" (pronounced i-Dlit)

Part-Timer

I-like!

Amateur

or perhaps the negativity could work the other way and turn the starlet in to an idiot, especially as he is surrounded by a dressing room full off them at the Sheriffs... But that could be an interesting concept should it ever occur. *hints at another addition to any future experiments ;)*

Amateur

Pretty sure that if it happened it would be at a third team---if I recall correctly, the players all hate the opposing team, so unlikely they would ever sign for them. One of each ending up at some Premiership team in the next couple seasons is not beyond possibility however!

Amateur

Didn't that happen in the first experiment? I think I remember an idiot and starlets playing for Chelsea...

Amateur

Just read all this cracking read and am a Sheriffs suporter from the start ;]

They'll destroy the Bandits this season

Part-Timer

Don't get me wrong but I find this tendency of becoming a fan of Sheriffs just like the teenagers these days loving Barca and disregarding Real. Both clubs have written history before, especially Real was something special during the original Galacticos era. So, don't get your hopes high on the Sheriffs being the next Barca ;)

Part-Timer

The Bandits are officially my second club. The Sheriffs are what I imagine it would be like if John Terry captained Spurs. Ugh.

Part-Timer

It's been a very good read, but I'm worried that you have changed too many variables to find out much about the mechanics of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MSCCG View Post
    It's been a very good read, but I'm worried that you have changed too many variables to find out much about the mechanics of the game.
    Why is that? Even so it's just a bit of fun...

Part-Timer

You mean from their default setting? Or from the previous experiments?

I've tried (as in past experiments) to have reasons for each change. In this one:

- The starlets are designed to see how far extreme players with extreme loyalties can go.
    - Their placement in the non league tests their loyalty.
    - Their nationality tests how one player can make a difference to an otherwise struggling nation, both in the short and long term.
    - The idiots test the effect of extreme ability with idiocy, on two different levels.
    - Their placement alongside each other in the non league tests their ability to co-exists, and their superiority complexes.
    - The Bandits are designed to see whether a financial superpower in the non league can rise up, particularly when their board members and manager are of average quality. Can financial muscle alone do it?
    - The Sheriffs are designed with a similar purpose, but with impatience and fanaticism thrown in.

The report is designed to be very thorough, in that it examines each of these areas, to track the clubs, the players, their nations and the world as a whole in separate sections. As other stuff comes up, it is investigated. Some of the changes made to the database in this version were driven by findings from previous experiments.

Plus, it's fun

Part-Timer

I think most of the time what people learn from these experiments is very unexpected.

Kip changes a whole shedload of variables, and then everyone picks them apart to try to work out exactly what's happening by the scenes.

I guess he could change one variable at a time and make an analytical study of each variable's effects, but it wouldn't be half as fun.

Amateur

I find that each iteration has actually expanded on the original allowing not just a lot of the original material to be analysed and compared to what it once was in FM07, but also following the new introductions and details to the game, such as the enhanced international experience or the ability to add or remove leagues (though no Bandits have fled to parts unknown where this is required yet). This can be seen in how large the reports and analysis has gotten since the first initial season.

All in all though, it is becoming more inspiring that this kind of dedication can carry on after so long, with such a big following, and enhance the experience of FM when we play it ourselves. I know that I now look at in game features and events with a different light now due to the many years I have followed Kip's experiments!

Third Team

Some of the findings are enough to write a research paper on.

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

People moaning about variables......... Get a grip! Kip is the sole reason there's an experiment forum! He was a pioneer to this angle of playing the game

Part-Timer

Season report – 2012/13 – August-December

Bandits

With the first meeting of the season between the Bandits and the Sheriffs looming at the end of the month, both sides wanted to ensure their form was sky high as the transfer window closed. The Bandits certainly started well, an 8-0 victory in the league being followed by a 7-0 triumph over Harrogate Railway as their quest to get back in the FA Cup began. And their form would only improve, with another couple of thumping league victories – 10-0 and 6-0 – laying down a marker for their rivals.

The Sheriffs may not have been scoring quite as freely, but they were showing some excellent form of their own. A 6-0 win in the league was followed by a 7-1 triumph in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup at South Park. Beefcake. Two more league wins – 4-0 and 4-1, ensured that they only trailed the Bandits by goal difference ahead of ‘welcoming’ them to the River Styx.

Both sides were up for the clash, and they traded chances in the opening period, both keepers pulling off terrific saves before the Sheriffs struck the first blow, Magalhaes scoring seven minutes before half time. They held on until half time, and the Bandits trudged off the field with the unusual feeling of being behind.

It didn’t last. Within seconds of the second period beginning, Striker 4 equalised, and when Striker 2 put the Bandits ahead after 59 minutes, the feeling of inevitability set in. But they regained their composure and the game evened out again, both sets of fans feeling that their team could come out on top. But as the Sheriffs pushed on for an equaliser, the Bandits struck on the break, Striker 2 adding his second with five minutes remaining to secure a 3-1 win.

As the final whistle blew, the Bandits celebrated their sixth straight win over their rivals, and a crucial three point lead over the side set to be their major challengers. The Sheriffs sank to their knees, knowing that this one could have been theirs.

Days later, their defence went missing in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup, conceding a couple of goals to Ossett Town, but anger and determination drove them on, Lazy Idiot Mid scoring a brace and 18 year old Rory Horlock adding four in an impressive 6-2 win. The Bandits had no such worries, hammering Met Police 7-0.

October

The Bandits opened October by scoring 11 for the first time, defeating Frome 11-1, before punishing Bedford twice in a week, 5-1 in the league and 6-0 in the third qualifying round for the FA Cup. Gloucester were then swept aside 7-0, before the unthinkable happened – they dropped the first league points in their history, drawing 1-1 at home to Maidenhead in a sloppy display. Angry, they destroyed Lowestoft 10-0 in the final qualifying round for the FA Cup to set up a home tie with Preston in the first round, and finished the month with a 7-0 win at Aylesbury in the opening round of the Red Insure Cup, which they were defending.

Meanwhile, the Sheriffs were flying, with five comfortable victories in October, along with a 3-0 win over Havant & Waterlooville in the third round of the FA Cup. Two more 5-1 victories followed in the league, before they squeaked out a narrow 1-0 win at Salisbury in the final FA Cup qualifying round, earning them a trip to Exeter. Like the Bandits, they also finished the month with a 7-0 away win in the Red Insure Cup, Leighton their victims.

So the Bandits had looked dead certs for the league, with a three point lead and a huge goal difference advantage over the Sheriffs, who knew even a win in the return match might not be enough. But with the Bandits surprisingly dropping points for the first time, the gap was a single point and the season was really on.

November

November opened with the Bandits regaining their previous imperious form, strolling to 7-0 and 4-0 wins in the league, the perfect build up to their FA Cup tie at home to League One strugglers Preston, a match that was chosen for TV. It was to be perhaps the greatest victory in the club’s history, outshooting their illustrious opponents 23-0 and winning the game 6-0. An extraordinary performance.

The Sheriffs had also opened December with a pair of wins – 2-0 and 4-0 – before their tie away to League Two Exeter. Despite dominating the game, they came up against a brick wall in the Exeter goal, and the game seemed destined for a frustrating replay. But with seven minutes to go, Lazy Idiot Str popped up with the only goal of the match, and the Sheriffs were through.

They would complete the month with three more victories – 7-0 in the first round of the Dorset Cup, 3-0 in the league and 5-0 in the Red Insure Cup. It had been a spectacular month.

The Bandits were also flying, winning the equivalent games 8-0, 3-0 and 7-0, to prove that they were back in top form, even if their lead at the top of the table remained a single point.

December

December began with the second round of the FA Cup, with the Bandits at home to Grimsby and the Sheriffs hosting Bury. The Sheriffs went first, their match being moved to a Friday night for TV, and they got off to the perfect start, Lazy Idiot Str scoring after five minutes. But four minutes later, Bury equalised, and the Sheriffs, despite continuing to dominate, began to lose their rag, picking up a total of five yellow cards.

With the game drawing to a conclusion, the Sheriffs continued to press for a winner, but Bury hit them with the counterpunch, scoring just eight minutes from time to go through 2-1, massively against the run of play. After a sterling run last season, this campaign was over disappointingly early.

The Bandits, meanwhile, were having no such problems, and blew a stunned Grimsby away in the first half, racing to a 4-0 lead before the opposition lost the plot and had a man sent off. In the mood they were in, the Bandits weren’t going to let their opposition get away lightly, and ran out stuffing them by an incredible scoreline of 9-0. Sure, this was a Grimsby side who had fallen to the Conference and were struggling in mid table, but it was still an extraordinary result.

The Bandits continued to steamroller opposition until Christmas, winning 9-0, 8-0 and 5-0 in the league and destroying Gillingham Town 9-0 in the quarter finals of the Dorset Cup, leaving them with a Christmas record of 16-1-0.

The Sheriffs, largely because of a lack of international call ups, would have played three more league games than their rivals by the time Christmas rolled around, but they won the five they had between the FA Cup defeat and the festive period, although Frome held out until the 82nd minute before losing 1-0 in the closest of the games. Their loss to the Bandits remained their only dropped points, and their record stood at 19-0-1.

The Bandits continued to put pressure on their rivals, claiming two wins from their final pair of games in 2012, winning 3-0 and 6-0 to finish the calendar year with 55 points from 19 games, two from perfection. But the Sheriffs continued to battle, beating Brackley 2-1 and Bashley 3-0 to finish the year with 63 points from 22 games.

So the Bandits are eight points behind their rivals with three games in hand, and a meeting still to come. Unless the Bandits drop more points, they Sheriffs may have to beat them to claim top spot, but they are battling away, refusing to give an inch, while perhaps hoping that the January transfer window might take a few starlets away.

With only one automatic promotion spot up for grabs, it was set to go the distance.

Part-Timer

Sorry this has been a long way in the coming, by the way. I'm changing jobs at the moment but actually overlapping them so very very busy until the middle of next week. Then it all calms down and I do one hell of a lot less commuting. Happy days.

Part-Timer

Mid season statistics - Bandits

Most appearances – 20+ starts
    Left Back 2 – 27 + 2
    Goalkeeper 1 – 27
    Striker 2 – 26
    Striker 4 – 25 + 3
    Left Mid 1 – 25
    Right Back 2 – 25
    Right Mid 1 – 24 + 3
    Centre Back 4 – 23 + 3
    Defensive Mid 1 – 22
    Centre Back 2 – 21 + 4

No room for anyone outside the starlets this year – in fact no non-starlet has started even ten fames for the Bandits this season.

Goals – 5+
    Striker 2 – 59 (26 games)
    Striker 4 – 38 (25 + 3 games)
    Right Mid 1 – 23 (24 + 3 games)
    Left Mid 1 – 20 (25 games)
    Attacking Mid 2 – 10 (16 + 3 games)
    Defensive Mid 2 – 10 (19 + 1 games)
    Mason (ST) – 6 (9+ 7 games)
    Centre Back 4 – 5 (23 + 3 games)

That isn’t a typo – Striker 2 really does have 59 goals, at more than a rate of two per game. Wow.

Assists – 10+
    Left Mid 1 – 27 (25 games)
    Striker 2 – 26 (26 games)
    Striker 4 – 23 (25 + 3 games)
    Right Mid 1 – 23 (24 + 3 games)
    Mason (ST) – 13 (9 + 7 games)
    Defensive Mid 1 – 12 (22 games)

As if 59 goals wasn’t enough, Striker 2 also has 26 assists. Mason is chipping in nicely for an occasional player.

Top Ratings, Min 10 starts, 8.00 Rating
    Striker 2 – 9.13 (26 games)
    Striker 4 – 8.88 (25 + 3 games)
    Left Mid 1 - 8.81 (25 games)
    Right Mid 1 – 8.60 (24 + 3 games)
    Defensive Mid 1 – 8.44 (22 games)
    Left Back 2 – 8.34 (27 + 2 games)
    Right Back 2 – 8.34 (25 games)
    Defensive Mid 2 – 8.32 (19 + 1 games)
    Centre Back 4 – 8.32 (23 + 3 games)
    Centre Back 2 – 8.24 (21 + 4)
    Attacking Mid 2 – 8.23 (16 + 3 games)

Strikers and wingers, blowing the league apart.

Part-Timer

Mid season statistics - Sheriffs

Most appearances – 20+ starts
    Lazy Idiot GK – 30 + 1
    Hamilton (AMC) – 28 + 1
    Driven Idiot Str – 26 + 2
    Pickup (DL) – 25 + 2
    Lazy Idiot Mid – 25
    McClean (ML) – 24
    Tyler (DL) – 22 + 4
    Lazy Idiot Def – 22
    Martin (DM) – 20 + 3

Strange to see two left backs in there – at least one is being played out of position. Lazy Idiot Str only starts 18 games.

Goals – 5+
    Driven Idiot Str – 31 (26 + 2 games)
    Horlock (ST) – 24 (16 + 10 games)
    Lazy Idiot Str – 11 (18 games)
    Hamilton (AMC) – 8 (28 + 1 games)
    McClean (ML) – 8 (24 games)
    Lazy Idiot Mid – 6 (25 games)
    Laws (ML) – 5 (10 + 5 games)

A great record from Driven Idiot Str, and a brilliant season so far from teenage striker Rory Horlock.

Assists – 10+
    Lazy Idiot Mid – 21 (25 games)
    Driven Idiot Str – 15 (26 + 2 games)
    McClean (ML) – 12 (24 games)

Only three on the list this year, but all three can claim to be having excellent seasons.

Top Ratings, Min 10 starts, 8.00 Rating
    None

The only player whose average rating is eight or above is centre back Mike Anderson, whose 8.04 rating has come from nine games. The best regular is actually Rory Horlock, the 18 year old striker with an average rating of 7.97, likely to have been harmed by ten substitute appearances. Behind him come Driven Idiot Str and James McClean, both with 7.95

Part-Timer

Thrilling first half! Gutted to drop the first league points even though we are hammering Sheriffs regularly. Here's hoping a cup run, coupled with international call ups won't hamper us before hosting them. It should be a win to make it 7 in a row and two successive league crowns!

Part-Timer

Great update yet again Kip. Has the FA Cup 3rd round draw been made or are you saving the Bandits next opponents from us deliberately?

Third Team

Surely a couple more starlets will leave in January, coupled with an end of season fixture pile up, giving the Sheriffs a chance to nick the league title?

Reserves

James McClean isnt the James McClean currently playing for Sunderland is he?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by daemonic View Post
    Great update yet again Kip. Has the FA Cup 3rd round draw been made or are you saving the Bandits next opponents from us deliberately?
    It has been made - the Bandits will face Colchester.

Part-Timer

James McClean isnt the James McClean currently playing for Sunderland is he?
    Indeed he is - not sure how I missed the transfer, I'll have a look at the save later but I suspect an out of transfer window free signing. He's very decent - 123 CA.

Part-Timer

It has been made - the Bandits will face Colchester.
    Good chance they can progress further then. Thought they might have drawn a huge team and you were saving the info. for dramatic effect

Reserves

Indeed he is - not sure how I missed the transfer, I'll have a look at the save later but I suspect an out of transfer window free signing. He's very decent - 123 CA.
    Interesting. Seems like quite a drop in leagues for someone with a reasonably high CA.

I'll be interested to see what his PA is come the end of season roundup. Perhaps he was part of a deal for one of the Idiots that went to Sunderland.

Semi Pro

They won't beat Colchester.

Up the U's !

Third Team

Very compelling updates kip.

Look forward to more.

Amateur

Things are getting exciting. Looking very much forward to see how this plays out.

Amateur

Amazing run by the Bandits....14...15? months before they dropped their first league points? Still running strong---set to run away with the division again. Sheriffs will be a close 2nd -- but I suspect they'll drop another loss somewhere this season. Suspect that some Starletts will get snatched up...but also expect 2 of the Idiots to go too. Just hope the managers can bring in some strength to cover their losses.

Amateur

Shocked that the Bandits got such a high level player to drop down the leagues that far, but should help the rise

Amateur

Absolutely epic thread Kip, I was reading your never ending masterful first experiment; that was immense. Hopefully this one will match for quality.

Any previews for jan transfer

Youth Team

Great to see this back, Kip. Looking forward to watching the progress of the Starlet who has moved to the Super Blades as well!

Amateur

The jan transfers should be pretty interesting. Will the Sherriffs become the stronger team or can the Bandits hold on to there starlets. Only time will (hopefully soon) tell.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast