AI Experiment - The Bandits, The Sheriffs and FM12

Back once again, like a renegade master

Welcome one and all to the world of the Bandits. And, I suppose, the world of the Sheriffs, if you are that way inclined. Don’t know what I’m talking about? Read on.

Let’s step back in time for a moment, to the days of FM07, and the first of these experiments. It saw the creation of the Bandits – a supremely rich club in the Conference South with an enormous fanbase and a massive stadium. Financially set for their entire existence, they were also handed 22 of the greatest young players in the history of the game – otherwise known as the starlets. Two for every position of a traditional 4-4-2, they each had a PA of 200 (maximum) and a CA as high as the game would allow a 17 year old to start with, along with perfect mental attributes and an unquenchable thirst for success.

On the flip side, two complete idiots were created. Equally talented, they were destructive in every way possible – lazy, disloyal, dirty divers, they were the antithesis of team players, and hated every club and manager they ended up at.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what happened

The game ran for nearly 70 seasons, over the course of two real-life years. The players became world beaters quickly, but left the Bandits to have stellar careers elsewhere. The idiots bounced from club to club, doing well enough to get noticed without ever becoming the world stars their equal talent promised.

As for the Bandits, they slowly moved up the leagues, but never made the final push to major trophies (aside from the occasional cup). Despite their financial dominance (they approached a billion in the bank at one point), they were often held back by cautious managers, who allowed the stars to leave when the big offers came in, but refused to use the club’s massive coffers. Perennially midtable finishers in the Premiership, their potential was never truly fulfilled.

You can find the whole thread here (all 4000+ posts of it….)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/28789-AI-Experiment-what-would-happen-if?daysprune=-1

Fast forward two years….

Incarnation number two

In FM09, the Bandits were faithfully recreated. Once again their bank balance swelled, their ground dwarfed their rivals, and their squad boasted the same 22 starlets that had lit up world football in the previous experiment.

But there were some crucial differences. The starlets started at 150 CA, the Bandits were given a talented board and management staff in an attempt to prevent the stalling of the previous game, and crucially the game was played on full detail, which allowed truer results based on the actual talent of the players, rather than a roughly simulated one. The game ran much slower, but the scorelines were far more interesting as a result.

And then there were the Sheriffs. The true home of the idiots, they had equal financial muscle to the Bandits, but with a fanatical, impatient fanbase and an equally interfering nightmare of a board. The idiots, who started on their books, increased in number to four, with a single goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and striker created.

The experiment didn’t really get off the ground due to time constraints on my part, but in the early stages both clubs were soaring up the divisions, with an intense rivalry along the way. Both were far more aggressive with their financial muscle, and it promised far more than the FM07 version. As the for the players – the starlets were again headed for the top, but the poor attitude of the idiots meant that their ability never rose beyond the starting point of 150 CA. In fact it fell.

More details here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/112059-AI-Experiment-The-Bandits-are-back-for-FM09

Now, three seasons on, it is time for both clubs to come back to life. And as before, there are a host of changes in store.

The clubs

Financially, the Bandits and the Sheriffs are equals. Both have £10m in the bank with an active sugar daddy, and a reputation of 1000. Rich enough to start with, they will both receive massive incomes from their 120000 all-seater stadium, which attracts anywhere from 50000-200000 fans on a given matchday. The pitches are perfect and the grounds are flawless.

They start in a lower league than ever before, thanks to the excellent work of the FMUpdates team, whose thread you can find here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276730-FM2012-FMUpdates-England-Levels-7-amp-8-Southern-Isthmian-amp-Northern-Leagues-*Out-Now*

This update enables levels seven and eight in the English football pyramid, and both clubs start in the eighth tier, or more specifically the Southern League Division One South and West, two rungs below the Conference South and four rungs below league football.

The Bandits replace Poole Town and The Sheriffs replace nearby Wimborne Town in the league, with Wimborne being relocated five miles to the centre of Poole to enhance their rivalry. Poole itself has been made into the most attractive town in the land.

This time around, their managers are randomized, but they do each have a specific chairman. Both rich, both willing to put money in, and both ambitious, they have all the tools, but as you would expect, the Bandit chairman is loyal, patient and hands off, whereas the controversial Sheriff chairman sees the manager purely as a puppet for his plaything. Expect a trigger happy attitude there.

And they have fans to match. Both sets are passionate and affluent, but the Bandits fans have the patience, while the Sheriff fans have the fanaticism.

Both clubs, appropriately, are marked as being formed in 2007, and are fully professional.

The players

There are some changes to the players this time around. Previously, all created players, whether starlet or idiot, were formed at the same ability level, and had an enormous amount of versatility. This made them all very similar in how they performed, so there are some changes here, both to given them a greater career progression, and the redress the balance between the starlets and idiots somewhat.

There are now three types of player, rather than two.

Starlets

As before, there are 22 of these, and they have perfect attributes, both on and off the pitch. However, there are a variety of changes, as follows:

a) Their versatility has been reduced somewhat. Previously, all wide players were also able to play centrally, and there was no concept of more attacking or defensive midfielders. This is no longer true. Left midfielders, for example, can play at LM or LW, but nowhere else. In addition, the four central midfielders have been split into two DM/MCs and two AM/MCs.

b) While they all have a PA of 200, their CAs have dropped, and there are two levels. One player in every position (the odd numbered ones, e.g. Striker 1 and 3) start with 100 CA, while the others (even numbered ones) start with 75 CA. This is still excellent for the level they start at, but it means that the clubs may retain them for longer – not only are they not so ridiculously good for the league that they have to move on, but also the second tier of players may not play enough initially to get noticed. It will be interesting to see how the different tiers progress.

c) All players have a random nationality, and are declared for that nation, but have a second nationality of English to avoid work permit issues.

All start with, and love, the Bandits, whilst hating the Sheriffs.

Workhorse Idiots

There are four of these – goalkeeper, versatile defender, versatile midfielder and striker. They are as controversial, dirty, disloyal and impatient as the idiots have ever been, but they give themselves a fighting chance of a decent career by being determined and actually working well in a team when on the field of play. The minute they step out of the game, however, they revert to being absolute nightmares. And of course, there is a decent chance that they will be forcibly removed from the game after yet another scything challenge.

All four start with the Sheriffs, and with a higher CA than the starlets – 125. They love the Sheriffs and hate the Bandits.

All four have the same nationality structure as the starlets – random nationality but with English as a second nationality to avoid work permit issues.

Lazy Idiots

These guys make the workhorse idiots seem like great people to have around. Equally as disloyal, ambitious and impatient, they are also as likely to get sent off, punch their manager or not bother even turning up. However, their on-pitch attitude doesn’t even mitigate this – they are lazy and do not understand the concept of a team in any way. In their world, they don’t have to try hard in training or on match day, their talent should be enough.

And their talent is higher than the rest – they start with a CA of 150, to give them a fighting chance as the worst type of created player. They love the Sheriffs and hate the Bandits.

Summary

So the Bandits have 22 starlets, 11 at 100 CA and 11 at 75 CA, and the Sheriffs have eight idiots, four at 125 CA and four at 150 CA. All thirty individuals have 200 PA.

The Game

With the ability to switch leagues into full detail and out again, it isn’t necessary to run quite as many leagues on full detail as before, so only the entire English pyramid does, since that is where our interest initially lies, and internationals/continentals. The initial setup is:

England

All leagues and cups full detail, including all regional cups at the lower levels (will remove once the Bandits and Sheriffs are league teams, because this slows the game down massively)

All leagues playable

Italy

Serie A – Serie B playable

Spain

Liga BBVA - Liga Adelante playable

Germany

Bundlesliga - 2. Bundesliga playable

France

Ligue 1 – Ligue 2 playable

Internationals

All competitive competitions, including qualifying, full detail

Continental Competitions

All European competitions and World Club Cup, full detail.

Essentially, we have full detail on any match the created players could ever play in. This will change based on where they are – e.g. a player moving to Barcelona will cause Liga BBVA to be put on full detail, and once they are all over 21, the youth internationals will not be played on full detail.

Wahey! We are back in business ladies and gentlemen!

- Both clubs will rush onwards and upwards eventually, even though I'd like the Sheriffs to crush and burn to be honest!

- 2 tiers of starlets is an excellent idea, not only for the retaining part but also to see how game time, starting CA and development affects them.

- 8 idiots now ehh! That's a large number and quite a good variance between the two groups I'd say as try-hards and lazy asses.

- Both chairmans will have their pros and cons. I do recall a Bandits chairman not even sacking a below-decent manager because he was a patience god for example!

- Kinda interested and also eager to see which national teams the players ended up. It'd be a double-egded blade for the national team managers of the lazy idiots unfortunately.

Ultimate prediction and will of course is the Bandits' triumph over Sheriffs' in any aspect of the game possible! Mon the Bandits!

Fantastic to see both teams back!! Although as a Wimborne Town fan I'm not sure about them being replaced by the Sheriffs - should I now back the Sheriffs as they are in essence Wimborne, or should I hate them (and thus support the Bandits) as they're the reason there is no Wimborne Town any more?!? Decisions, decisions!

Couple of small predictions - the Bandits will proceed straight through the levels winning promotion every year until at least League Two, and will have at least four remaining starlets by that time.

The Sheriffs will lose the idiots relatively early - probably within three years.

It will be interesting to see which players will receive immediate national team call ups. It depends on the nations, but lazy idiots are most likely going to be called up right away. Can't wait to see what happens in first transfer window.

First off, I never used to visit these forums like I have done in the past 2 years, so i've never had the chance to follow your 2 previous threads, although I did read a little bit and it sounds like a lot of fun and a good read. Therefore, i'm very pleased you've decided to start this up on FM12 and can't wait for the updates to start :D

It's good that you've explained a lot on the previous games, so I can make some predictions, hopefully with accuracy :)

1. I predict "The Bandits" to move up the leagues quickly, as despite the CA not being as good as before, it's still amazing even at Blue Square Premier level and by the time they reach that league, they will be even better.

2. I predict we will still have some players at "The Bandits" by the time we reach the Blue Square Premier, so we should progress even further hopefully.

3. "The Sheriffs" will rise through the leagues similar to "The Bandits", but once the "Idiots" have moved clubs, I think they may move through the leagues faster, with the fact that the Chairman wont put up with rubbish managers, something that could be seen as a "Flaw" for "The Bandits".

4. I can see both clubs eventually fighting in the top 4 of the Premiership, with "The Bandits" possibly overcoming their rivals, but yet again, maybe not, due to the previous flaw i mentioned.

Hope this starts very soon :)

And we're off!

My thoughts, for what they're worth are roughly in line with those for the second incarnation. I think the Sheriffs (boo!) will have the most significant early success with the trigger happy chairman not allowing any underachievement and the idiots but as time goes on the sensible Bandits' (woo!) chairman will drag them back, and overtake them having greater overall success.

My predictions

Sheriffs will move up the leagues quicker, with the Bandits building for long term success. Once in the Premier League, the Bandits will dominate English and Continental football, and the Sheriffs will become a mid-table side, occasionally breaking into the European places or competing for a domestic cup.

As for the players, I can see all of them moving fairly quickly, perhaps one or two of the lower ranked Bandits will stick around.

Predictions -

1. Lazy Bandits will be gone (At least 3/4) by end of january transfer window.

2. 1/4 workhorse bandits will be gone by end of jan.

3. 2/11 100 ca starlets will go in jan.

4. Bandits will have 4 successive promotions before finishing in mid table due to a lack of original starlets left (4/22)

5. Sheriffs will get to Conference south/north before stalling due to lack of continuity in team/managers.

I think that with the increased interest by top clubs in sniffing out young talent in FM11 and FM12, the Bandits will still have no starlets left after 2 years.

None of the idiots will have much long-term success, the lazy ones through ineptitude, and the hard-working ones through being on the move permanently.

I expect both clubs to spend big, unlike the first experiment, but not as big as they could - and indeed should. As such, it'll probably be a slow rise up the tables by both of them, with a large quantity of overpaid, ageing stars who no human manager would ever have considered signing.

Go Bandits!!! Welcome back!!!!!!!

Predictions:

1: Bandits to go up in successive seasons at least to BSP

2: Depending on schedule, sheriffs will be short two idiots in the crucial game between the two teams (more likely the later the two teams play their second match)

3: 8 of the tier 1 Bandits to be on new teams by March of season 1 --- all of the tier 1 and half of the tier two off to new teams by start of season 2.

4: Probably all of the sheriffs off to new teams by the end of transfer window in spring --- though they will likely not get enough playing time to be content on new teams. 2 demand transfer before mid-season, season 2.

5: Sheriffs to move up, likely remaining a season behind the Bandits until about L1 timeframe.

Whilst I was a lurker way back in 2007, I never really had any interest in the experiment threads until a couple of years ago, so I never followed the previous incarnations of this. That said, the excitement it's created is palpable and it's easy to forget that CSE has been on a decline of late :)

I don't think there's any predictions I can make that haven't already been made:

-Sheriffs will start out fastest, but Bandits will follow closely

-As they get to football league level the sheriffs will pull ahead

-A handful of starlets will remain at the club into the football league

-The lazy idiots will bounce around from club to club and never really achieve much

-The workhorse idiots will also bounce from club to club, but they'll actually show signs of progression and maybe achieve success.

Before my predictions I wanted to note that I signed up for this board just to post in this thread. Such epically great stuff the last two rounds. Keep it up.

- I'm guessing the 75 CA starlets stay at the club for two full years. The 100 starlets leave in the first transfer window never to be seen wearing Bandit kit again.

- All of the Sheriffs will be gone in January.

- All of the hard-working sheriffs will be shortlisted for the Golden Ball within 5 years, while the lazy ones will continue to flounder.

- AC Milan will continue to be awful in FM for whatever reason (Ibra's too slow and Pato gets injured every five minutes?)

Fantastic to see both teams back!! Although as a Wimborne Town fan I'm not sure about them being replaced by the Sheriffs - should I now back the Sheriffs as they are in essence Wimborne, or should I hate them (and thus support the Bandits) as they're the reason there is no Wimborne Town any more?!? Decisions, decisions!

Wimborne Town fan eh? Small world.... and you should definitely hate the Sheriffs for causing the disbanding of your club. Definitely.

3. "The Sheriffs" will rise through the leagues similar to "The Bandits", but once the "Idiots" have moved clubs, I think they may move through the leagues faster, with the fact that the Chairman wont put up with rubbish managers, something that could be seen as a "Flaw" for "The Bandits".

This was certainly a flaw in the first game, but on that occasion I did set their ambition to 1, mistakenly thinking that would enhance loyalty. Actually, it just made them settle for mediocrity. This time, the chairman may be supremely patient, but he is also extremely ambitious. Might make a difference.

Kip, are we likely to see a regular schedule for updating (job and life permitting of course!) or will it again be somewhat on the hop and irregular?

And there's the million dollar question :)

Certainly planning on more regularity than the second experiment, which was only regular in terms of long absences. Some updates will be quicker than others though, it all has to be fitted in!

Pre-game analysis - Bandits squad

Top 10 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

(excluding starlets, of which there are 11 at 100 CA and 11 at 75 CA)

Hay, 27, M RL, 112-115

Anderson, 28, DC, 111-115

Rooney, 25, D LC, 94-115

Gosling, 25, D RLC, 92-115

Smith, 25, D LC, 91-115

Hawkins, 17, M LC, 87-173

Cox, 17, ML, 85-176

Yildirim, 24, AMC, 83-115

Matthews, 24, AMR, 83-115

Kay, 24, GK, 80-105

This section will detail the top 20 players in future, but with 22 starlets at the club the rest seem somewhat redundant. However, it is interesting to note the two left wingers already at the club – Hawkins and Cox. Both have immense potential.

Notable others:

None

CA of X or above:

190 : 0

180 : 0

170 : 0

160 : 0

150 : 0

140 : 0

130 : 0

120 : 0

110 : 2

100 : 2

90 : 5

80 : 10

70 : 13

60 : 17

For the eighth tier of English football, this isn’t too bad a squad at all.

Pre-game analysis - Sheriffs squad

Top 10 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

(excluding idiots, of which there are 4 at 125 CA and 4 at 150 CA)

Daley, 28, GK, 113-115

Hamilton, 26, AMC, 108-115

Zabek, 27, D LC, 103-115

Pierce, 24, M RL, 87-115

Holloway, 16, AM LC, 84-170

Mitchell, 33, D RC, 83-115

Horlock, 22, ST, 76-152

Hadji, 16, D RLC, 70-156

Mogg, 16, DM, 66-146

Mansell, 17, M LC, 64-125

The Sheriffs also have some real potential in their ranks, none better than 16 year old Holloway, who is a sensational prospect.

Notable others:

None

CA of X or above:

190 : 0

180 : 0

170 : 0

160 : 0

150 : 0

140 : 0

130 : 0

120 : 0

110 : 1

100 : 3

90 : 3

80 : 6

70 : 8

60 : 12

Undoubtedly a thinner starting squad than the Bandits, but you have to remember that they have eight players with a talent headstart who could push them to great things in their early existence.

Competitions – Southern League Division One South and West

Best players in the Southern League Division One South and West (excluding starlets and idiots):

1 (-). Daley (Sheriffs, 28, GK, 113-115)

2 (-). Hay (Bandits, 27, M RL, 112-115)

3 (-). Anderson (Bandits, 28, DC, 111-115)

4 (-). Hamilton (Sheriffs, 26, AMC, 108-115)

5 (-). Zabek (Sheriffs, 27, D LC, 105-115)

6 (-). Rooney (Bandits, 25, D LC, 94-115)

7 (-). Gosling (Bandits, 25, D RLC, 92-115)

8 (-). Smith (Bandits, 25, D LC, 91-115)

9 (-). Hawkins (Bandits, 17, M LC, 87-173)

10 (-). Pierce (Sheriffs, 24, M RL, 87-115)

The degree by which the Bandits and Sheriffs should dominate this league is incredible. Halesowen have a right back with 76 CA, but apart from that the league is filled with players of CA 50 and below. In fact, many of the squads will be forced to play players with single figure CA scores.

Suffice to say that the Bandits and Sheriffs should waltz to promotion.

As for reputation, Tiverton have a reputation of 1100, beating the Bandits and Sheriffs into joint second with 1000.

Pre-game analysis - World beaters *WARNING!!!!! - Player naming!!!!!!!*

Current 190 CA players:

Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina, 24, AM RLC/FC, 195-199). Not a surprise to see him top the list.

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal, 26, AM RL/ST, 190-193). Quite useful, too.

And that's it. Only two 190 CA players to begin with, we will see how that progresses. In FM09, the numbers of players at each CA level rose each season.

Number of 190+ CA players : 2

Number of 180+ CA players : 6

Number of 170+ CA players : 35

Number of 190+ PA players : 5 (excluding starlets and idiots)

Number of 180+ PA players : 61 (excluding starlets and idiots)

Number of 170+ PA players : 211 (excluding starlets and idiots)

Yeah - both clubs are located in the Poole area, which has the highest possible attractiveness rating. Add to that the fact that both clubs have perfect youth setups and a couple of gems were inevitable.

What is more surprising is the quality of the other squad players. Seriously - in that league most players are around 25-30 CA, with a player in the 40s being a star of their team (plenty of teams have no-one hitting 40 CA). So how come both the Bandits and Sheriffs, in the same league and with a similar reputation, have had players created over 100 CA? That is decent for the Conference, which is three divisions away.

I would expect big things even without the starlets and idiots, and a good crack at the non league cup competitions.

Maybe, I am not sure though as I have not messed up with the editor to create lower leagues, the regen creator does not reflect the created lower leagues' quality correctly, add the fact that both clubs have state-of-art facilities with an academy and voila! And we may just have been lucky with the RNG this time, I wouldnt be surprised at all if we don't see any 170+ PA regen next year.

World View – Club Reputation

The top twenty clubs in the world, based on their reputation:

1 (-). Barcelona – 9550

2 (-). Real Madrid – 9300

3 (-). Man Utd – 9150

4 (-). Chelsea – 9050

5 (-). Bayern Munich – 8900

6= (-). Inter – 8850

6= (-). AC Milan – 8850

8 (-). Juventus – 8650

9 (-). Man City – 8600

10 (-). Porto – 8500

11 (-). Arsenal – 8350

12= (-). Liverpool – 8200

12= (-). Roma – 8200

14= (-). Lyon - 8150

14= (-). Benfica - 8150

14= (-). Corinthians – 8150

17 (-). Sao Paulo – 8100

18= (-). Paris St Germain – 8000

18= (-). Valencia – 8000

18= (-). Atletico Madrid – 8000

18= (-). Schalke – 8000

18= (-). Marseille – 8000

18= (-). Flamengo – 8000

18= (-). Sporting – 8000

A very interesting start with the two clubs getting players that are far better than the other players in the league.

It does mean that the starlets, even the 100CA ones, might not all get a regular place. I imagine the 75CA ones certainly wont. So it will be interesting to see how this affects them moving on. I imagine all of the players in the two squads will attract interest early on, as they're all missively better than anyone in their league, and could probably do a job for a conference team. This for me will be the first real intereting test of the AI. I haven't played an FM since 09, and in those days scouts seemed to have quite an accurate knowledge of CA, and if they told you that a player had massive potential they were usually right. On top of that, if you cast your scouting network wide enough you could usually uncover the future stars quite easily. This was always a weakness in the AI for me, mainly because it didn't matter how badly a player had played, if they had a massive CA they would still be recommended to you by the scouts. At the same time, a player with average CA/PA who was having an amazing season, perhaps because the manager was utilising his particular skills to perfection, struggled to attract big offers due to having low numbers for CA and PA behind the scenes.

So I'll be interested to know how quickly clubs recognise the talents of the starlets and whether they need to actually play well before attracting widespread interest. If the AI works well, and they aren't getting regular first team football in the early seasons then I'd hope they would stay at the Bandits for a few seasons. But I'm suspecting that this wont be the case.

So my predictions:

1 - Both clubs will walk the first season, with the Sheriffs coming top. They will then dominate up to conference level where their performances will level out a bit.

2 - All 8 of the idiots will attract interest very quickly and at least 5 of them will leave in the first transfer window.

3 - The 100CA starlets will mostly be gone by the start of the second season, but most of the 75CA players will stay for 3 seasons before moving on.

4 - The random nationality will make things very interesting. I predict that England will only end up with 5 starlets and no idiots. And a smaller, previously unsuccessful, nation will win a major tournament with the help of 2 starlets.

It does mean that the starlets, even the 100CA ones, might not all get a regular place. I imagine the 75CA ones certainly wont. So it will be interesting to see how this affects them moving on.

Absolutely - I was hoping that by introducing two tiers, they wouldn't have an even split of playing time and therefore all get exposed at the same rate. It will be very interesting to see how well known the 75 CA set get if they don't get much time on the field. I'm hoping for some real AI insight here.

YESSSS!!! So excited that this is back. This gives office time a new pep! Teams already look immense, and as for predictions:

A few short term predictions, as with previous installments, it takes a couple of years to progress.

- I think the most players (starlets and idiots) will move on to conference and lower league teams within 1-3 years

- I think both Sheriffs and bandits will make the jump in the first season, and slow down after that. The should still reach the conference within 5-6 years though

- With CA's that low, it can be really tough even for good teams to stand out, so I think the Sheriff's will pip the bandits most games in the first few years, but I see bandits winning a cup sooner.

- no international caps for either starlets or idiots within the first 2 seasons that they remain at sheriffs or Bandits due to the league they are in. Once they hit conference, some of the smaller nations will start calling in the stars!

Glad to see this back! Having followed both of the previous experiments, I know just how good kip's experiments are!

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that at least one of the starlets/idiots will end up at a Premiership club by the end of season 1.

Also I'm going to say that the Sheriffs or Bandits will reach round 2 of the FA Cup this year.

Archived