What are some of the more interesting and fun leagues you have managed in?

Not really done any but few FM's back I did try the Swedish league with Djurgarden and was going well until my team suddenly crumbled, everyone's morale hit the skids and we couldn't win period, no idea why it happened but ever since then I kinda stick to the bigger teams.

I take it you mean why?

Its just a different set of rules and a different way of things working compared to our leagues here. The Brazilian leagues are good but very very long seasons, the Mexican league is not as long but still a bit of a slog. I believe the A league is also decent but i havent given it a try yet, and obviously the MLS is a rule on its own.

Right now, I'm very much enjoying this fictional US-based league structure. It's a nine-tier pyramid with the top three leagues nationalised, the following three regionalised as East/West, and the bottom three regionalised even further. Nothing too complex, but it just works. It also incorporates both regional cups and division-based cups, as well as an unseeded cup open to every team in every division. Having a lot of fun with it.

Korean League. But a little odd as your best player can get plucked out of your squad for 'military service' and your left filling holes on the fly. But I liked the challenge of the ACL very even with all the countries in it. But Korea has good talent and if you can keep them you'll have a hell of a squad.

Korean League. But a little odd as your best player can get plucked out of your squad for 'military service' and your left filling holes on the fly. But I liked the challenge of the ACL very even with all the countries in it. But Korea has good talent and if you can keep them you'll have a hell of a squad.

Yes, I managed FC Seoul in fm11 but the fun was taken away with the fixtures congestion bug.

Gotta agree with Barside on Belgium. If you want a good European-based game, it's a lot of fun. There's enough home-grown restrictions for the domestic league to make building for European success a challenge, but it's still reputable enough in the beginning that you can attract some decent players, and older ex-Prem guys.

You also learn French, so it's a decent step if you're playing a Journeyman career and want an early shot at international management, with a number of francophone countries in western/central Africa.

Had a lot of fun in recent years managing in Ireland, Argentina and MLS, as well as stints in the lower leagues of Bulgaria, Japan and Indonesia. Some great leagues to head to when you've grown tired of the same old, same old alternatives!

I'd say Scotland was good fun, I played from the lowest tier to the top and after 10 seaons both celtic and rangers are relegation candidates with hearts and hibs the new dominant pair (till Clyde beat them all to it!)

Slovakia is my current destination and whilst fun it is very difficult to catch Trnava (who win the league every season and get all the champs league money), which means I will have to persevere to catch them and become worth more than them, so I imagine in a few seasons it will become boring. There is a non-EU quota of only 3 players too so I've had to invest heavily in academy players, it pays off :D

Military service haha :p is that what it says in the email?

I've had good experiences in Indonesia. No particular reason, just enjoyable.

Japan is a challenge. At least for me, as all I did was manually unlock it. With the licensing restrictions, that means all the teams start from scratch unless you invest a TON of time in editing (and I don't remember seeing a quality Japanese update for FM11). Within the league, a couple good signings is enough to make you a contender right away. But, man, play anyone outside the league you get smoked. Even lower league Japanese teams are somehow set up better than what the game gives the J1 teams. I twice lost to lower league opposition in preseason and half the J1 was out in the first round of the Emperor's Cup.

Even if I keep pace and qualify for the ACL next year I don't know how I'll compete. I'm theoretically doing AcidBurn's challenge but I don't forsee getting out of Asia for years.

like people said above the belgian league is great to play. I'm currently in belgian and been one of my best games so far on fm2012 the league has phases and split mini league in the top division at the end of the season which freshens things up for promotion relegation and european places.

Israel and Turkey are quite fun. Both leagues have like a mini playoff after the season so the last few games of the season are always a little tense (I managed in Turkey before the patch changed to a non playoff system after the first season)!

Which countries leagues have the fewest games?

Probably Iceland, only 18 league games, I think.

As for the most interesting/fun leagues, I naturally prefer Brazil and South/Latin American ones.

European leagues bore me as there are no finals or anything big in the first half of the seasons.

As for the most interesting/fun leagues, I naturally prefer Brazil and South/Latin American ones.

European leagues bore me as there are no finals or anything big in the first half of the seasons.

You seem to be the resident South American expert so wanted to ask you something I noticed when I considered playing there. The Brazillian league teams seem to be so much stronger and richer than teams from any other country. When I see what happens in the Copa Libatadores it seems as though things aren't quite as straightforward. It seems that teams from leagues such as Mexico, Uruguay and Chile are pretty strong yet in the game they are dreadful. Am I wrong on this? Have to admit that my knowledge only goes as far as star players. Wanted to start a Uruguayan save but couldn't see any longevity because the teams seem to have zero prospect of continental success with the Brazilian and also Aregentinian (although they seem a lot weaker out of the two) teams being so superior.

You seem to be the resident South American expert so wanted to ask you something I noticed when I considered playing there. The Brazillian league teams seem to be so much stronger and richer than teams from any other country. When I see what happens in the Copa Libatadores it seems as though things aren't quite as straightforward. It seems that teams from leagues such as Mexico, Uruguay and Chile are pretty strong yet in the game they are dreadful. Am I wrong on this? Have to admit that my knowledge only goes as far as star players. Wanted to start a Uruguayan save but couldn't see any longevity because the teams seem to have zero prospect of continental success with the Brazilian and also Aregentinian (although they seem a lot weaker out of the two) teams being so superior.

A problem is that the game does not simulate some factors, like long trips and altitude, etc... that have an impact in real life, and also some of the other leagues (outside Brazil, Argentina and Mexico) are a bit underrated, especially the top teams like Universidad de Chile.

This is tricky to fix in the database though as clubs outside Brazil and Argentina change squads a lot more often, so by the time they are sure a player deserves a higher rating, the player is gone (often to Brazil and Argentina, like LDU's goalscorer Barcos joining Palmeiras, for example).

It's not impossible for teams from outside BRA/ARG/MEX reach the final in Libertadores in the game though, I have seen Peñarol and LDU doing so.

A problem is that the game does not simulate some factors, like long trips and altitude, etc... that have an impact in real life, and also some of the other leagues (outside Brazil, Argentina and Mexico) are a bit underrated, especially the top teams like Universidad de Chile.

This is tricky to fix in the database though as clubs outside Brazil and Argentina change squads a lot more often, so by the time they are sure a player deserves a higher rating, the player is gone (often to Brazil and Argentina, like LDU's goalscorer Barcos joining Palmeiras, for example).

It's not impossible for teams from outside BRA/ARG/MEX reach the final in Libertadores in the game though, I have seen Peñarol and LDU doing so.

From you experience on the game which league would you say is the strongest after the big two in South America? Also which would you say is the best team not from those two countries? I'm thinking of starting a career there after my Dortmund save becomes boring.

From you experience on the game which league would you say is the strongest after the big two in South America? Also which would you say is the best team not from those two countries? I'm thinking of starting a career there after my Dortmund save becomes boring.

Mexico are the strongest one outside BRA/ARG, is actually stronger than Argentina. But the best teams play in CONCACAF, not Libertadores.

Colombia are the next strongest league of the rest, but no team stand out. Uruguay are closer to Colombia, but with a bigger gap between top teams and the rest.

Out of the playable leagues, Peñarol are the best of the rest team, but LDU (Ecuador) and Libertad (Paraguay) are strongest than them, but Ecuador and Paraguay are not playable leagues (unless you add via editor).

Mexico are the strongest one outside BRA/ARG, is actually stronger than Argentina. But the best teams play in CONCACAF, not Libertadores.

Colombia are the next strongest league of the rest, but no team stand out. Uruguay are closer to Colombia, but with a bigger gap between top teams and the rest.

Out of the playable leagues, Peñarol are the best of the rest team, but LDU (Ecuador) and Libertad (Paraguay) are strongest than them, but Ecuador and Paraguay are not playable leagues (unless you add via editor).

Sounds like a shame that the best Mexican teams have to play against crappy teams from North America rather than the top South American teams. Can't be good for their development. Guess if I give it a go I'll randomly select a team. Will probably go with one with a country that has to play the least league games.

Sounds like a shame that the best Mexican teams have to play against crappy teams from North America rather than the top South American teams. Can't be good for their development. Guess if I give it a go I'll randomly select a team. Will probably go with one with a country that has to play the least league games.

You need to educate yourself about the state of North American football.

I've never tried loading the Korean league, but i have a question:

Can you manage the "Military Service" team? It would be quite interesting to try to keep winning (and finding roles for players) with a pretty much random set of players every season!

I simulated this in England with a fictional team that had loan agreements with roughly 40 clubs (also relaxed the loan rules, obviously!). I would just wait until August, see who i'm getting, and improvise from there...then figure out how to blend in the next batch of random players coming in January!

The clubs wouldn't all loan at once, so i'd have a September squad of about 15-20 loan players and a January squad of 25-30 (minus anybody i sent back), NONE of whom i actually selected myself.

Would become a nightmare when i'd get 9 strikers and 1 Centre Back...just to get 5 more strikers in January!

Brazilian league is pretty crazy especially with the number of games in the state championship and the 2 legged Brazilian cup.

Do you have any advices for managing the finances for South American clubs without selling their best players?

I've never tried loading the Korean league, but i have a question:

Can you manage the "Military Service" team? It would be quite interesting to try to keep winning (and finding roles for players) with a pretty much random set of players every season!

I simulated this in England with a fictional team that had loan agreements with roughly 40 clubs (also relaxed the loan rules, obviously!). I would just wait until August, see who i'm getting, and improvise from there...then figure out how to blend in the next batch of random players coming in January!

The clubs wouldn't all loan at once, so i'd have a September squad of about 15-20 loan players and a January squad of 25-30 (minus anybody i sent back), NONE of whom i actually selected myself.

Would become a nightmare when i'd get 9 strikers and 1 Centre Back...just to get 5 more strikers in January!

I think all the K-league teams are manageable if I remember correctly.

Some of them are; as are USA clubs.

Yeah LOL

This year's semis have three Mexican clubs plus one Canadian. Last year had 2 Mexicans, an American and a Costa Rican. Mexicans obviously won. Year before that all four semi finalists were Mexicans. Year before that we had three Mexican teams plus Puerto Rico. The last time a Non-Mexican club won it was 2005 so please stop talking utter crap. Maybe you are the one who should be educating themself on the state of North American football? That is if we want to use your own phrase.

Archived