How Do You Run Your Club?

How Do You Run Your Club?

Thats the basic question, i'm interested to see peoples replies and see who is brave and who is not :D Do you have a Manchester City type personality or are you more like Arsenal?

I've often been the sort who likes to bring through youth players, train them up, but i'd be known to spend high amounts on established players once every so often, not really caring about finances so much.

I've now just started a challenge where I'm playing as Chester in the BSN and i'm going to attempt to reach the Premier League without spending a penny on transfers, not even bringing any players in... Just relying solely on my youth system!

I'm using Chester as well in my save. Finished my first season with them in 2012/2013 season, not too far into my second season with them. Atm I'm bringing in free transfers, loan players and trying to bring a few players from the youth team into my first team.

Some people on the career's forum play that way, relying only on youth to improve their team, i don't think i've seen someone try to get to the Premier League that way though.

Regarding the topic i try to rely on youth and cheap transfers as much as possible, somewhat like Wenger, i hate spending a lot of money in players.

I usually have a very quick turnover of players. But that's because I like to build up from the bottom to the top, so players will not be as useful once promoted. I like young players mostly, but I tend to bring in a couple of old heads to settle things.

As i usually don't manage big clubs, my two main priorities are to sign free (or cheap and previously proven) youngsters, getting rid of surplus wages, staff and players, and establishing the club in the top tier after a few seasons. I prefer developing clubs rather than taking over the greatest clubs in the world. I guess getting in place players and economy for sustainable growth/development is the key focus.

I am often tempted to sign ageing players that are ending their careers, but this is a habit I am trying to quit. :thup:

get the balance right and you are fine.

i try and get a group of 11 players who are able to tutor another group of 11 players. then have a few players who are not necesserily good enough.

then when one of the young group gets old/good enough to tutor i sell one of the ageing players

gives a great balance of young and old and proven and developing players

also gives a simple system to tell me when to get rid of legends - otherwise i tend to hang onto the home grown players who at there peak were amazing. giggs and scholes for example

Try to sign any potentially amazing youth players who are available for no more than 2m

Only sign established players who are available for a reasonable price (usually listed for contract expiring)

Pay nobody more than 100k a week and then they must be special to earn more than 70k. Not paying more than 40k per week for any back ups

Never put the wage budget up myself manually. It is set for a reason. If the board put it up then thats another matter.

At least break even on money from transfers in and out though I usually profit.

Try to shift players once they are 30 unless they are goalkeeper's or far too important to the team to sell.

Never sign any players on monthly installments.

Try not to sell players to my league rivals unless I can't sell unwanted players elsewhere.

Get the best coaching staff I can get without breaking the bank.

I guess my management style is a little unorthodox. Whenever I take over at a club, I usually have a bit of a fire sale and bring in quite a few new faces. In the next few transfer windows I usually bring in 1 or 2 proven players to add that extra bit of class and stability. After that, I rely on bringing in young stars (Never exceeding £2m fee) and products from my own academy to be my next generation of world beaters. For youth stars that I bring in, I usually try to buy players of the nationality of the club but if players are young enough, their nationality doesn't matter.

For wage control, It's usually very strict and I work to my own wage parameters (Max wage for all players at £70k p/w, for example). If a player demands more, and isn't going to budge, then he is swiftly moved on.

And for backroom staff, I only surround myself with the best in the business. Usually with world class reputations, I spend good money on the best coaches, physio's, scouts and

Profit in the long run is always the aim for me, as I've been burned by overspending in the past. A stable, profitable club is a good environment to manage in, with no worries about stuff off the pitch, I'm free to concern myself with masterminding continuous on the pitch success :)

At the moment, Im managing United, and after the first 2 seasons, I've operated at a profit of at least £20m each year. Not much, but when the debt is repaid, that figure will be around £100m each season.

Best of luck with you're goal though! It won't be easy, but if you stick with it im sure you will achieve!!

I guess my management style is a little unorthodox. Whenever I take over at a club, I usually have a bit of a fire sale and bring in quite a few new faces. In the next few transfer windows I usually bring in 1 or 2 proven players to add that extra bit of class and stability. After that, I rely on bringing in young stars (Never exceeding £2m fee) and products from my own academy to be my next generation of world beaters. For youth stars that I bring in, I usually try to buy players of the nationality of the club but if players are young enough, their nationality doesn't matter.

For wage control, It's usually very strict and I work to my own wage parameters (Max wage for all players at £70k p/w, for example). If a player demands more, and isn't going to budge, then he is swiftly moved on.

This is also my approach!

I manage lower league teams mainly trying to take them to the top (usually fail) :L

Only really have a couple of policys:

I never spend money on players, you can always get very decent players for free

Mainly have a squad aged between 18-23 with a few older heads in the team for times like christmas and the end of season run in if in a promotion chase or relegation battle, experience is invaluable.

Only usually spend around 300-600 on each players wages per week, anyone else despite if they look amazing i will not sign, would much rather spend that extra bit they would cost on a decent fringe player.

Any player who gets sent off 9 times out of 10 recieves a fine of 2 weeks wages, i take no messing :)

Cant think of anymore at the mo, i find it intresting how people have different approaches :)

Several different styles then :D I like the idea of some people actually sticking to a wage structure. In the past i've been good with spending money on transfers, but I never really had a wage structure and i'd pay basically whatever it cost me to get the player I wanted.

I think I prefer BlueSquarePremier's style personally...

Some people are a bit sceptical about what i'm trying to do with Chester, but to be honest, i've been there and done that, been a big club and won everything for years on end, been a championship team and brought them into the premier league with big success, been a league 2 team, bringing them up the leagues and I've even completed dafuges challenge in an earlier version of FM. Basically all I haven't done is this that i'm attempting now. It will take at least 30 seasons, possibly a lot more, but it's a long term and very fun game to do, and if I ever manage it, I can say i've taken a lot of satisfaction from it, that you wouldn't get with being a top team.

Generally I operate under some golden rules:

- No silly purchases (I don't do £50m flops!)

- Get a strong set up - coaching, scouting, facilities - for the future

- Invest in youth for the future

- Stamp my authority and tactics on the club - I am a bit of a Mourinho with insisting my way is best! Players often get the hairdryer treatment.

- Try to stick to a 23 man squad with youth players as back-up

- Fiercely loyal to my players - unless they cross me in public. They go straight to the reserves on two week fines.

Generally I operate under some golden rules:

- No silly purchases (I don't do £50m flops!)

- Get a strong set up - coaching, scouting, facilities - for the future

- Invest in youth for the future

- Stamp my authority and tactics on the club - I am a bit of a Mourinho with insisting my way is best! Players often get the hairdryer treatment.

- Try to stick to a 23 man squad with youth players as back-up

- Fiercely loyal to my players - unless they cross me in public. They go straight to the reserves on two week fines.

Sounds well structured to me :D Fernando Torres, i'm sure you were referring to? I like the idea of a 2 week fine and dropped to reserves for being a big baby :D

Sounds well structured to me :D Fernando Torres, i'm sure you were referring to? I like the idea of a 2 week fine and dropped to reserves for being a big baby :D

Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll, take your pick! Unless I know they will deliver and will significantly help my team, and won't put a major dent into my long-term finances. That has to be a special player though.

But yeah I get stick from the other players if the person is a popular first-teamer, but refuse to train or go against the party line and you're playing with Bogarde for two weeks, fella!

Rule number 1: fill the Canadian national squad with high-quality Brazilian players.

Rule number 2: never change tactics. EVER.

Rule number 3: accept nothing short of victory. Loss or tie? Disappointed.

Rule number 4: if I'm paying for a player, you better believe he's under the age of 23.

Rule number 5: profit???

Rule number 1: fill the Canadian national squad with high-quality Brazilian players.

Rule number 2: never change tactics. EVER.

Rule number 3: accept nothing short of victory. Loss or tie? Disappointed.

Rule number 4: if I'm paying for a player, you better believe he's under the age of 23.

Rule number 5: profit???

Never?? What happens if you go down to 10 men or you're trying to hold a 1-0 lead against a superior team?

1. Start with team in BSS, results in quick turnover of players as I work my way up the leagues. Only 1 or two stayed with me until I got to the Prem.

2. Once in Prem spend heavily to consolidate and finish as high as possible for the first 1 or 2 seasons. - Europe is always the aim, even in a debut season.

3. Once relatively established, focus on youth. Gather talent from around the globe, but not for silly prices.

4. Pay nobody more than £50k per week. As soon as they start demanding more, sell them and let the youth have a chance. Always sell for more than estimated value.

5. Negotiate notoriously hard, even if it causes it to break down. I don't give in to silly demands.

6. Immediate 2 week fine for anyone who gets sent off.

7. Anyone with a 6.3 or less gets a warning or fine depending on just how bad they were.

I like taking over clubs with big stadiums in the lower divisions. This time it was Bradford.

There are some things I always do:

1. Get rid of all the club's players as quickly as possible. There are exceptions to this - mainly players of a quality I can't replace. I usually need 2-3 transfer windows to complete this.

2. When I win promotion, most players will be inadequate for the new league, so I repeat #1 as many times as is needed.

3. The players I sign following #1 and #2 are 4 stars or higher in potential for the most part. Since I know I can win promotion there is no point signing players that are good players in the current league since they won't be good enough next season. In L2 and lower, with a weak team, 3.5 stars are usually good players in the current division but many 5-star L1 PA players are available for free or on loan.

4. I always aim for at least one player covering in all positions.

5. For me it is a goal in itself to let every player in the squad play every other match, keeping everyone match fit, happy and developing well, but this is pointless if the player has no future at the club. This is really what is fuelling #1-4.

6. Once arriving in the top division, lots of PA won't cut it anymore. At this level there tends to be a great leap between CA and PA, and most youngters won't be good enough for the league yet. So in the case of Bradford I made sure I signed a number of "good player for most PL sides" to strengthen what is now essentially a first team squad (leading stars are hard to come by as a low-rep club). I never spend obscene amounts of money on players at this stage because usually the big-name players wanting to come to me are not significantly better than free players. To get the right player I might shell out £6-7m but not any more than that. I also keep a very tight wage budget at all times, no exceptions. I think I set that personal limit to 25k p/w my first season in PL even though I could give them twice that as key players.

7. I continue to sign 3.5+ star young players and get rid of the deadwood every transfer window. Since it is difficult to profit from a teenager signed for £5-6m if he doesn't quite reach the quality I expected, I avoid spending that much on them unless I am 100% sure he will be a world beater and can be used in my 1st XI immediately.

8. Eventually, I end up with a very young squad. Most players below 21 years. As the 1st XI grows into a stronger side through the years, success will come and by then I have a very strong fundament to build on; a healthy economy, a young and developing side which has played with each other for years and everyone with a strong connection to me.

9. I build facilities whenever I can - that's the first thing I do whenever the club has a good balance in the closing season.

10. I know exactly what kind of players my tactics need, so I think this is also an advantage for me. It is difficult to build a well-thought-out squad if you are unsure which set of tactics you are going to use in the future.

- I always try to rely mainly on the team I inherit for the first season, maybe bring in a loan or two.

- Seasons 2 & 3 I try to update the spine (unless it is already strong) whilst bringing in youth players.

- Season 4 onwards I aim to start phasing in the younger players, maybe bringing in a big signing if the money is there and there is a need in a particular position.

On my current save I have placed onto myself many restrictions that are basically true to real life.

1. Don't buy players with monthly payments. Although now I've reached the top I will sometimes give most of the fee in baulk and a certain amount of it(never more than 50%) over the next 12 months and no longer. Or I will do number of games related payment.

2. I have a self imposed wage cap regardless of how much the board will let me offer, So as the years have gone by I have known my limits from the amount of profit I make each month and go up/down accordingly. So for instance my team had a 30K cap for the best players then after a couple of years it went to 40k, then 50k, and I am now up to 70K after we managed to win the league and had a new stadium follow by an expansion(so I was making enough money to break even) I will probably stay at that for atleast another 3 years now. I will get players that I can eventually no longer keep happy on that lower wage so I let them go. 2 seasons ago sold my LB for £55M and its getting to that stage for my CB now who I have already rejected £60M from Fiorentina but the reason I said no is an exceptional circumstance since they are my league rivals and they took my other CB off me last season anyway by activating his £40M release clause, I was happy enough with that though.

3. Try sign youth that is from the league i'm in. AKA Italian

4. Spend money if I need to... but the main way I make money is from selling my stars for fees that wouldn't get rejected in real life(my CB is the exception) So I don't think I would ever spend over £20M, think my current highest spend is like £14M but that was quite recent.

5. Try not to budge, for example i lost my record goalscorer(only 97) and CB on free transfers to inter because I didn't want to give into their wage demands - despite them being below my cap they just weren't good enough to be paid the amount they wanted - as it would put them on par with players that are better. Shame really as 3 goals away from 100 lol but the strikers I have now are better anyway.

6. Try to think of what it would be like in real life no matter the situation. I think my idea of wages etc is quite close to the way Spurs are doing things. A top team with top players but trying to do it in a financially viable way. Spending when needed. This is definately my club and thats why I take everything into my control. Having got them to the top from Serie C has been quite a nice challenge.

7. Another one, I give every one of my players their own individual training schedule and tweak it when neccessary to try get the best out of them so that they get as good as possible. :D

I always start each game with the same goal: Manage my favourite club. (Man Utd) (The right to manage them has to be earned!)

1. Always start with Sunday League rep as that is what I would have had IRL. (SI did make t much harder to have that rep this year! I liked that challenge)

2. Take over a smallish club/Big club fallen on hard times (Can't be in the Premier League. This year it was Middlesbrough, and last year it was Huddersfield.)

3. Have a yard sale. Not good enough = ByeBye! Don't fit my tactical approach = ByeBye! Got potential = Stay, if I think he can develop enoug to play at a higher level. If not = ByeBye!

4. Hire staff where needed. Renew contracts of staff that are good enough. Try to renegotiate contracts of staff that are not good enough but are on long contracts (To decrease payment on mutual termination). Mutual terminate contract of every staff that are not good enough.

5. Try to improve youth and traning facilities if club has the finance to do it. (Youth facilities prioritized over training facilities. I like to promote youth the Busby way.)

6. Sing only young players with high potential that can go straigth into the first team. Exeption to this rule is tutors, but only if he's good enough to play in the first team. Rotation players are all young.)

7. I almost never pay over the odds for players and never pay insane wages.

I bring in as many good young players as possible and keep wages way down. When I feel a player is getting too big for his boots I will offload him for a profit. Example being my current Full Back. He can play on either side and is easily one of the best full backs in the world, if not the best. So his 5 year contract ran out and I was offering him a new one. He was on 40,000pw. 50,000pw would be the average with my star striker earning the most at 75,000pw. Now he wants 85k pw and an appearance fee of 65k. I gave him his 4 year contract with as low a loyalty bonus I could manage and as soon as he signed it transfer listed him. Real Madrid bought him for 65million.

Like a boss.

It changes every save. Right now playing as Sligo Rovers in Irish league, with a self imposed limit of 5 foregin players and 10 players from other Irish youth acadmies, the rest of the players are from my own youth set up.

I never start my games with a team above fourth/fifth tier. Then follow similar rules:

- Keep within establishes wage/transfer budgets.

- Never sign a player who is not considered a good player for the league above the one your in.

- Never sign a player over 28 (unless it's a GK).

- Always try to have at least three/four players who can play in a number of positions. These don't have to be the best players as I use them mainly as subs. I particularly like players who can play DLRC, DC/DM/MC & AMLRC/St.

- Start with three tactics, train team to become fully conversant with them, then stick only to these.

- Get as good AM & coaches as you can afford.

- Leave as much as you can (esp. press conferences) to AM.

- Go on holiday for one day before the match (thnx Ackter!) so you don't spend all your life watching the ME do it's stuff. Just watch highlights after each game.

- Always praise your best player (MOM) after each game.

1. Get the staff sorted out as soon as possible. The first thing I do is this

2. Create training schedules to fit the player

3. Don't sell in the first window unless totally necessary

4. 23 man squad, with 2-3 youngsters

5. Currently with At Madrid, I want a successful youth team, buying young players from the academies if possible is the main goal

6. Keep the best players - meaning sometimes paying over the odds to keep them.

7. Sign one rubbish player for lolz

On my current save I have placed onto myself many restrictions that are basically true to real life.

1. Don't buy players with monthly payments. Although now I've reached the top I will sometimes give most of the fee in baulk and a certain amount of it(never more than 50%) over the next 12 months and no longer. Or I will do number of games related payment.

2. I have a self imposed wage cap regardless of how much the board will let me offer, So as the years have gone by I have known my limits from the amount of profit I make each month and go up/down accordingly. So for instance my team had a 30K cap for the best players then after a couple of years it went to 40k, then 50k, and I am now up to 70K after we managed to win the league and had a new stadium follow by an expansion(so I was making enough money to break even) I will probably stay at that for atleast another 3 years now. I will get players that I can eventually no longer keep happy on that lower wage so I let them go. 2 seasons ago sold my LB for £55M and its getting to that stage for my CB now who I have already rejected £60M from Fiorentina but the reason I said no is an exceptional circumstance since they are my league rivals and they took my other CB off me last season anyway by activating his £40M release clause, I was happy enough with that though.

3. Try sign youth that is from the league i'm in. AKA Italian

4. Spend money if I need to... but the main way I make money is from selling my stars for fees that wouldn't get rejected in real life(my CB is the exception) So I don't think I would ever spend over £20M, think my current highest spend is like £14M but that was quite recent.

5. Try not to budge, for example i lost my record goalscorer(only 97) and CB on free transfers to inter because I didn't want to give into their wage demands - despite them being below my cap they just weren't good enough to be paid the amount they wanted - as it would put them on par with players that are better. Shame really as 3 goals away from 100 lol but the strikers I have now are better anyway.

6. Try to think of what it would be like in real life no matter the situation. I think my idea of wages etc is quite close to the way Spurs are doing things. A top team with top players but trying to do it in a financially viable way. Spending when needed. This is definately my club and thats why I take everything into my control. Having got them to the top from Serie C has been quite a nice challenge.

7. Another one, I give every one of my players their own individual training schedule and tweak it when neccessary to try get the best out of them so that they get as good as possible. :D

I like your idea of running a club the best, in behind my own idea of course :D

I always start each game with the same goal: Manage my favourite club. (Man Utd) (The right to manage them has to be earned!)

1. Always start with Sunday League rep as that is what I would have had IRL. (SI did make t much harder to have that rep this year! I liked that challenge)

2. Take over a smallish club/Big club fallen on hard times (Can't be in the Premier League. This year it was Middlesbrough, and last year it was Huddersfield.)

3. Have a yard sale. Not good enough = ByeBye! Don't fit my tactical approach = ByeBye! Got potential = Stay, if I think he can develop enoug to play at a higher level. If not = ByeBye!

4. Hire staff where needed. Renew contracts of staff that are good enough. Try to renegotiate contracts of staff that are not good enough but are on long contracts (To decrease payment on mutual termination). Mutual terminate contract of every staff that are not good enough.

5. Try to improve youth and traning facilities if club has the finance to do it. (Youth facilities prioritized over training facilities. I like to promote youth the Busby way.)

6. Sing only young players with high potential that can go straigth into the first team. Exeption to this rule is tutors, but only if he's good enough to play in the first team. Rotation players are all young.)

7. I almost never pay over the odds for players and never pay insane wages.

Oh yes, one more thing. I always create individual traning schedules for every player that I plan to keep for at least one season. They have the same schedule for two seasons and then I change the schedule based on each players improvements.

The first thing I usually do is set up a global scouting network. I try to improve youth facilities etc as soon as possible to ensure that I have the greatest chance of getting talented players coming through.

My favorite part of this game is developing youngsters.

As far as the first team goes, I go for big name signings every once in a while. I like having stars in my team and it keeps the fans excited. I make sure that everyone I bring in, as well as those already here, have good personalities in order to tutor the next generation.

I get rid of the all reserves who I deem not good enough right away. The reserves will consist of my youth squad and whoever I didn't sell.

Once a player reaches 18 (17 if he's progressed enough), and his determination and personality are in good places, I usually will loan them out for next few seasons. At 21, 22 at the latest, I decide whether or not they are good enough to break into the first team. (Some players are easier to determine than others). They get occasional chances with the first team between loans and preseason etc.

I leave a spot on the bench for a youngster every match (7 spots on the bench is plenty so might as well). I'm pretty generous in choosing who gets that spot. I've played 16 yrs heck even a 15 yr old once.

Every month or so I schedule friendlies where I only play the youngsters. They almost certainly lose :D

I constantly throw them in the deep end and see if they sink or swim. If they swim? Wonderful. It means that I'll pay a little more attention to them. If they crumble under the pressure? Thats perfectly fine. I don't expect them to be world beaters at 17. I take it easy on them. Its a learning experience afterall. They need not worry as more opportunities will come.

When I deem that a youngster is ready for the first team, I'll keep the older player that he's replacing for a season or so (maybe longer if he that offers more than one thing to my side) just to see if the lad is able to adapt.

As you can see, I like give young players as much first team experience as humanly possible.

I like signing the big name player but I much prefer bringing one through my youth squad.

The first thing I usually do is set up a global scouting network. I try to improve youth facilities etc as soon as possible to ensure that I have the greatest chance of getting talented players coming through.

My favorite part of this game is developing youngsters.

As far as the first team goes, I go for big name signings every once in a while. I like having stars in my team and it keeps the fans excited. I make sure that everyone I bring in, as well as those already here, have good personalities in order to tutor the next generation.

I get rid of the all reserves who I deem not good enough right away. The reserves will consist of my youth squad and whoever I didn't sell.

Once a player reaches 18 (17 if he's progressed enough), and his determination and personality are in good places, I usually will loan them out for next few seasons. At 21, 22 at the latest, I decide whether or not they are good enough to break into the first team. (Some players are easier to determine than others). They get occasional chances with the first team between loans and preseason etc.

I leave a spot on the bench for a youngster every match (7 spots on the bench is plenty so might as well). I'm pretty generous in choosing who gets that spot. I've played 16 yrs heck even a 15 yr old once.

Every month or so I schedule friendlies where I only play the youngsters. They almost certainly lose :D

I constantly throw them in the deep end and see if they sink or swim. If they swim? Wonderful. It means that I'll pay a little more attention to them. If they crumble under the pressure? Thats perfectly fine. I don't expect them to be world beaters at 17. I take it easy on them. Its a learning experience afterall. They need not worry as more opportunities will come.

When I deem that a youngster is ready for the first team, I'll keep the older player that he's replacing for a season or so (maybe longer if he that offers more than one thing to my side) just to see if the lad is able to adapt.

As you can see, I like give young players as much first team experience as humanly possible.

I like signing the big name player but I much prefer bringing one through my youth squad.

Really like this idea. I may have to steal that one myself!

I've always enjoyed buying unknown or young players then selling them on for a much larger profit.

As for club management, I rule with an iron fist. If anyone gets out of line, or sulks at my managerial decisions, they immediately get put on the transfer list, or if it's financially viable, sometimes I'll release them on free transfers straight away. The way I see it is that if they don't want to play here, I'll get someone else in who does. There are a vast amount of footballers in the game so it's not really hard to find a multitude of suitable replacements. Nobody is above the stature of the football club when I'm in charge.

Never?? What happens if you go down to 10 men or you're trying to hold a 1-0 lead against a superior team?

Stick with what got me to that point. Doesn't matter if I'm 1-nil up or 3-nil down; I expect my players to play the way I've instructed them and, by and large, I get the results I'm looking for.

Infuriates me to watch a team change mentality during the course of a game, particularly in games that they're winning.

"Alright, guys...you know how we're winning this game? I want you to take everything that's led us to this point and throw it out the window."

Really like this idea. I may have to steal that one myself!

Go right ahead. I'm not the originator of the idea anyways :D

Stick with what got me to that point. Doesn't matter if I'm 1-nil up or 3-nil down; I expect my players to play the way I've instructed them and, by and large, I get the results I'm looking for.

Infuriates me to watch a team change mentality during the course of a game, particularly in games that they're winning.

"Alright, guys...you know how we're winning this game? I want you to take everything that's led us to this point and throw it out the window."

Come on now its not like those changes are that drastic. Heck there are even times when drastic changes are needed.

But sitting there sticking to the same tactic no matter what means you'll lose games that you could've won. Fair enough if its in the league because we all lose league games. But if its in a cup final, that will sting.

i run mine like AC Milan. i sign a lot of veterans on cheap or free transfers. veterans who have never won anything. then i make them win stuff before they retire. it's great

obscure veterans like frode johnson winning the champions league trophy and retiring the day after. these guys will love me forever

I usually play with same team so try to vary it a bit. Some saves I play I will set different self imposed rules like signing certain types of players such as under 21's only or players from my own nation. I usually get bored with a save once I win everything and start again but in my current save I'm in for the long haul. I've just completed ten seasons for the first time ever and am still loving it.

After winning the EPL two years running and adding a champions league I was just starting to get bored but then the other teams rose to the challenge and I've been agonisingly runners up for the last two years. Have just added a Champs League in the second of those seasons (after penalties) but it is a challenge again and I'd prefer this to winning every game.

In a bid to regain my crown I'm switching from a flat 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 for this season at least. Have conceded fewest goals for 4 years running but need to be more creative against the more defensive sides.

I love FM and rule with an Iron Fist.

I usually try and get a team from the BSN/BSS promoted to the Prem so my style of play varies depending on where I am in terms of progress. When I'm going up the leagues age doesn't matter. I'll sign players usually on 2 year deals. Try to get free players and loans really though I'll splash out a bit if necessary. The aim when signing players is to get players good enough for the level above or they're top players for the current division. Means the wage budget is used to the max but it works. As such squad turnover is huge. Depending on youth is a waste mostly and don't focus on that until I get the club promoted to the Prem. Once there and I'm established I'll try and sign youngsters with potential as well as one or two experienced players to call on if necessary and build from there. Don't tend to spend lots on a single player. If I do it's only 1 or 2 per season and try to find bargains for the rest or promote youth and/or sell of players to raise money.

Go flying over my wage budget, beg and beg and beg for an increase, eventually get the increase so all is then good.

In all seriousness I usually stick to

1)Strict wage structure is placeed after the wage scare

2)Dont sign any players under 25 unless the player will massively improve the team i.e Cougano for my Crewe side

3)Keep squad size quite low but with enough players to have good rotation

4)Give my high quality youngsters game time in any and EVERY cup game, even if it's just 20 minute run out.

5)This one only really applies in my lower league saves. After every promotion season I pretty much have a firesale and then only try and sign players who are good enough or have potential to be good enough for the next league up. I.e In league 2 only sign players good enough for League 1. once this process has started always seem to have a team that can challenge

6)Pass Pass Pass Move Pass Move Pass Move Pass Pass Pass (I like passing football, not not always bothered about possesion but beautiful passing is a must)

7)WIN stuff :D

1) sell anyone below a 3* potential

2) set individual player training schedules

3) sign the best coaches possible

4) try and get facilites and the stadium improved

5) sign youngsters with high potential

6) sign 2-3 players for a big sum of money

I'll show how I run my club through examples in my Newcastle save.

1. Firstly when I join i look to get rid of the poor fringe players, especially the ones that take up quite a bit on the wage. e.g Ameobi was sold for 2.8m as soon as i joined, Xisco gone for 800k.

2. Establish a formation for the club that best suits the best players at the club e.g at newcastle 4-2-4 deep to suit the DM's Tiote and Cabaye and also the wide players newcastle have.

3.In the first transfer window, I sign players that can fill the spots where i am weakest, e.g I signed a left back in the first window with Newcastle, as that was the weakest position. I also signed Tshabalala to provide depth to the wide positions.

4. If an offer comes in for one of my players that I believe I can get a replacement for , they are sold. e.g Cabaye was sold 2nd season for 19m to Inter, I brought in Kaboré and Krancjar for a total of 7m therefore I am depthening my squad and also making a profit of 12m.

5. I will only usually buy transfer listed players due to the knock down price they are going for unless I really need a player. e.g I was able to get Corluka for 3m and Adam Johnson for 5m and if these players weren't transfer listed i'd have to fork out at least 10m for each of them, so that's why I think that Transfer listed players ae the best to look at when looking for a player.

6. I will take players out of the starting 11 if they aren't performing no matter how good they are, this creates competition in the team and gives your other players a chance to shine. e.g Cisse was taken out of the starting 11 because he wasn't scoring and in came Vuckic to get a brace on his debut.

i run mine like AC Milan. i sign a lot of veterans on cheap or free transfers. veterans who have never won anything. then i make them win stuff before they retire. it's great

obscure veterans like frode johnson winning the champions league trophy and retiring the day after. these guys will love me forever

That put a smile on my face :D

• 4 weeks later...

My management style:

1). Go for bargains in transfers

2). Bring up my youth players

3). Say positive things to the media, as much as possible

4). Engage in lots of conversation with my players

Good luck TM on your policy, I like the idea meself.

Im a bargain basement wheeler dealer but I always promote at least 3 youth players to me first team squad and give them a season to make half an impression.

Ive had one big indulgence though at 9 mil, which is my biggest signing in 8 years.

Over my career I have sold some 200 players, at an average of $9m a pop! Not bad! I have signed I think 300 players over the years, at an average of $5m each. My team has a massive bank balance (600m?), and already had a new stadium built a couple of years ago. So basically, I am at the stage where years of frugality have paid off, big time! I always tried to develop youth rather than buying a replacement. Not to say I never spend 20 or 30m on a player, but those are very much the exception. The reason is, a 10m rated LB or RB costs you 3 times that, so if you can develop a 2m youngster into a 10m starter you have saved your club what, 28m dollars!

It took me a while to realize that the players in my squad were better than many of the players I was trying to sign. Its funny how it happens, you look at a player and you are thinking, 16 anticipation, 16 decision making, hello! Then you look at your team and its something your team already has, in abundance!

So yeah, I think its fair to say I take the Wenger approach, but having the big bank balance there is no reason I have to sell off stars at their peak like Wenger has. Since I took the club from 100m in debt to its current position I feel like its my money to spend, the board be damned. They have paid themselves 50m in dividends for years, that means the rest of the money belongs to me :D

I manage an amateur club, so chop and change, chop and change every season. When I manage a bigger team, I usually look for younger players, around 20-25 y.o. to form the base of my squad. I have a several older players, one of which is usually club captain, to tutor and lead the team. However, their personalities must be good, or they're out in a flash! I always have the urge to use my youth academy, but as the crop turns out to be awful year after year, I have to resort to poaching youngsters from smaller clubs :p.

My style is to look at what my scouts find and then check the transfer list and freebies then sign some older heads along with young players. I tend not to buy the best as I treat the money like my own so always stay within my wage limit and not too much on transfers fees.I normally stick the young players in the reserves and look to loan then so they are ready for the next season.

My moto is normally,i don't care who you are,if you don't perform-you dont play and it works.

Archived