CPU - Shot on Target = Goal

I am getting so sick and tired of playing games where the computer is getting very little shots off against me or if they do they are long shots and are often off target but when they do get a shot on target it goes straight in. I just played a game against a mid table team who scored 2 goals with their 2 shots on target (they had 2 shots on target all game with a total of 5 shots all together).

A few games back i played bottom of the league, low and behold they got 2 shots on target and scored 2 goals. This seems to be happening on a constant basis. The fact that the computer teams are getting very few shots against me and when they do the majority are long shots means that my defensive tactics are working. Why is it then that the computer teams seem to be able to score almost every shot on target?

I have seen numerous people comment on this forum about the same thing. I am just completely fed up of it, actually to the point where I am hesitating on whether i even want to buy the next game because its just frustrating.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't noticed this on FM12 oftenly to be honest,it has happened,just not as much as it used to in FM11,where it was absolutely horrible,along with woodworks,penalties,etc.(I personally find FM11 one of the worst FM of the last few years for many reason,this being one of them)

Something that I have noticed happening a lot though are late-game comebacks. And by that I means teams scoring the winning goal against on the 90+ minutes. It seems a bit too often,like they forget that they are at around 50-65% condition left.

Generally the match engine seems ok for this year's version though. Could be just me,so don't get me wrong.

Fair play, I have noticed quite a lot and not just on this save. I mean it is completely possible that it is something to do with my tactics, but i would have thought that if i am stopping the opposition from creating much then surely there isnt much more i can do?

I have noticed late goals for the opposition on many occassions but funny enough i find it impossible for my team to muster the strength to push for a late goal probably because as you say players have low conditions at that point. Apparently that doesnt matter to the CPU though

This and woodwork are huge problems in FM12. Woodwork is simply ridiculous on 12.2, when I'm more awake tomorrow I will gather the evidence and make a thread highlighting just how unrealistic the number of times teams hit the woodwork is, literally between 1-5 times every game!

I have what I call "Consolation Goal Time". No matter if I'm winning 1-0 or 10-0, the other team scores against me after 80+ minutes. My players arent even tired, but just.. concede every game. I don't make a fuss because I win most games at least 3-1, but it's very annoying. Solid as a rock for the first 80 minutes.

A friend of mine struggles with this also. He's consistently restricting the opponent to 1-5 shots total per game, but regularly concedes all shots at goal. And then I mean -all- the shots: five games in a row saw him concede 11 goals from 11 shots at goal until the opposition finally required two shots to score the twelvth. This all started last Wednesday...

I don't struggle with the same issue. Rather, since last Wednesday my Arsenal team has struggled away. This is very rare with my tactic (with such a strong team). For the record, he's using Mr.Hough's W4NKER tweak (or something along those lines I think). In the end he didn't score more than two goals in a match and thanks to the hyperefficiency of the AI lost rather awfully away to City. I tweaked passing range and creative freedom for him (because he was too enraged to think straight) and it seemed to improve thanks to a higher possession %, but conceded the AI's only shot again once the AI had a shot at goal...

SI hasn't notified us of any change to the ME, but have they changed morale and/or database AI tactics? The GK's seems to do more spectacular saves.

yeah this has been a recurring problem with me playing FM12 and it is really frustrating. I am not the kind of person who expects to keep 7 clean sheets in a row or anything stupid but there is clearly something going on with the shots on target to goal ratio for the AI. I have had games where I have had 60% (or there abouts) of the possession, i have had over 10 shots on target with 3/4 clear cut chances and i score maybe 2 goals. I think thats pretty realistic really. But in the same game the opposition gets 2 shots on target and they score both. This doesnt even just happen against the better teams in the league actually often i find it happens more with the teams nearer the bottom of the league.

@BiggusD - There is definately something wrong with away games since the update. My first 12 games of the new game i started were - HOME - 5 Wins, 1 Draw, 0 Losses - AWAY - 0 Wins, 3 Draws, 3 Losses.

Now i would expect that my team would perhaps find it more difficult away from home and the draws were against some fairly good oposition but the negative impact that playing away from home has in this game is just too large. It does make a difference in real life but its not enough to have such a bad balance. I have tried playing counter attacking football away from home, I have tried solid defensive strategies. I dont concede very much but scoring is difficult.

I wish I had a screen shot of something that happened the other night, because I laughed pretty hard when I saw the post-game summary for a Bulgarian "A" Group game (skills are in the 12-13 range for both team's strikers and defense, generally):

Beroe: 22 shots, 2 on goal.

Opponent: 1 shot, 1 on goal.

Bad Guys win it 1-0. Every striker in the squad now trains finishing all day, every day =)

Have this problem aswell, no matter what tactic or team I use it still happens ALOT, if I had to take a guess I'd say it happens about a dozen times a season where the opposition have one shot on target and score and it's pretty amazing aswell because it's either a guy hitting a 30 yard screamer with long range of 8 or some guy who hasn't scored in30 odd games with 11 finishing scoring with his first shot against the best defence in the world, is that football? it is indeed, but not as much as it happens on FM, that's just ********.

Could be true, but I think part of the reason is that people have tendincies to notice such things when it happens against them, rather than when it happens for them. Of course another reason is that human managers build very strong teams quite easily in FM, and once that happens, naturally you will have more games where you dominate the AI, and that means you will have more games when AI will only have 1-2 chances against you, which further means you will see more of the above described case. Whereas if your teams would be regularly weaker than your AI opponents, this time your team would be the one that struggles to create chances, and you will see more of these miracle wins going your way this time.

didn't a team win yesterday in the premier league 1-0 with 1 shot on target?

Aye so that means if it happens on FM 10 times more than it happens in real life it's fine, because it happened on a rare occassion in real life right? didn't Barcelona beat Leverkusen 7-1 last week, does that mean it's normal for every team to win 7-1? didn't Beckham score from the halfway line, does that make it normal if that happened in every half dozen matches in FM?

I agree, that doesn't mean that it is ok if it happens so frequently in the game. All I'm saying is that it happens to our disadvantage a lot more in the game simply because we can create a world dominating side easily within a few seasons. And I guess the ME acting like this is a way to give the weaker teams a chance against much stronger teams. ME takes all the inputs from both teams and calculates the match result, and if it wouldn't throw in a 'big team gets complacent against a small team' factor in there, then we would win most of the games easily, if not every single one of them. What happens in those games is probably you dominate the AI, and the more you dominate the more complacent your players get, even though the opposition keeper is on a great day and saves them all, and on a rare occation when the opponent team gets a chance, they score. Whether the ME representation shows this goal as a 30 yard screamer or a one-on-one from a counter attack, or an early cross headed in, is a seperate issue.

Right now I started managing a mid-table team, and I've seen this sort of thing happening both against me and for me.

no stuff happens, i am dominating everything in the league yet i only score 3 or 4 from 10+ shots, usualy the opposition keeper.

but the FM stuff is usualy, set pieces, kick offs (so many goals within a minute of a kick off, where they just pass a few times and shoot)

yet i am seeing my team second in the league after 10 games because i drew 1 game and they won them all, only conceding 2... come on.

o great a draw away from home 1-1 because every single shot on target was saved and my strikers missed the target when they should be hitting it, unrealistic, they score from an own goal. and now player has abysmil morale.

it gets annoying when some guy with poor finishing in a cup game from league 1 or 2 scores that 1 shot on target when you got rooney missing all over the place from the same position. that is frustrating and annoying.

i dont care about balance, if i dominate a game having 10+ shots to thier 1 with 605+ possesion, conceding that 1 just spoils the game.

esepcially as there are CPU teams going on unrealisitc runs, while i get robbed.

no stuff happens, i am dominating everything in the league yet i only score 3 or 4 from 10+ shots, usualy the opposition keeper.

but the FM stuff is usualy, set pieces, kick offs (so many goals within a minute of a kick off, where they just pass a few times and shoot)

yet i am seeing my team second in the league after 10 games because i drew 1 game and they won them all, only conceding 2... come on.

o great a draw away from home 1-1 because every single shot on target was saved and my strikers missed the target when they should be hitting it, unrealistic, they score from an own goal. and now player has abysmil morale.

Actually what annoys me more is how crap AI teams usually are. I can't remember the last time I actually had a challenge in the Premier league. City finishing about 8th and everything.

challange in the premier league?

man city on mine

played 11 - won 11 - scored 26 conceded 2

just no, unrealistic

i have drew 2 both away (what a surprise)

Mad unrealistic.

I mean this season in Citys first 11 league games they only won 10 and drew 1. SI take note

Also two draws away from home? That is a surprise. I mean man utd only drew 10 away games last season in the league.

I think the game hates us and wants us to fail man.

Like Mario said WHY ALWAYS ME?

maybe possible, but the goals conceded is a bit of a joke

Not necessarily. Who were the 11 teams they played against? If they had a really easy stretch of schedule to start the season, it's conceivable to have that kind of goal differential. One or two 6-7 goal games and they're over halfway there.

i have a better goal differance

the 11 teams they played against?

loads of home games. but they played arsenal away and chelsea away

they have conceded to the likes of middlesborough, doncaster and dortmund in cups

and they conceded to only chelsea and stoke.

just outplayed them and drew 2-2 so i doubled it.

no - creating 10+ shots on target with players with the quality of rooney i expect a bit more then 3 goals - i had 1 game where welbeck missed about 6 shots. that is frustrating, let alone all the ones that should have been on target.

after one game 2 matches were generated in johnsons paint

a 7-1

and a 6-2

the same day.

spurs beat newcastle 6-0 just now on my save.

no - creating 10+ shots on target with players with the quality of rooney i expect a bit more then 3 goals - i had 1 game where welbeck missed about 6 shots. that is frustrating, let alone all the ones that should have been on target.

after one game 2 matches were generated in johnsons paint

a 7-1

and a 6-2

the same day.

spurs beat newcastle 6-0 just now on my save.

Please tell me you are joking?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16884811

And on the same day:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14606020

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14606056

The way you guys are crying is funny..

You're like..

"OMG I had 20 shots, I should of scored 15 GOALS!! OMG GAME IS HACK"

If you have 15 shots on target, 8 CCC's and a few 1on1's you kinda expect to score more than 2 goals whereas the other team had 4 shots on target, 1 CCC and scored 2 aswell so maybe to someone a bit dim like you that's fair game but ask any manager in the world if that's fair and I'm pretty sure they'd all say no and I'm pretty sure given those statistics they'd expect more than 2 goals.

How many times does that happen in a season? then compare how many times it happens in a season of FM and you will see the difference is HUGE so again, picking half a dozen results from hundreds and saying it's normal is very, very ******** and hilarious, keep it up.

If you have 15 shots on target, 8 CCC's and a few 1on1's you kinda expect to score more than 2 goals whereas the other team had 4 shots on target, 1 CCC and scored 2 aswell so maybe to someone a bit dim like you that's fair game but ask any manager in the world if that's fair and I'm pretty sure they'd all say no and I'm pretty sure given those statistics they'd expect more than 2 goals.

Part of the problem is the game being too generous with what gets labelled a CCC. I've seen my striker getting pressured to his weaker foot from a DC and pushed his shot just wide of the post but it went down as a CCC when in reality it was at most a half chance.

I agree, when you know the guys striking the ball on your team are twice the players the opposition have, scoring at 1/15 shots while they score at 1/2. That is the problem and I do not discredit it happens rarely, just too often in game.

I mean Ibrohimovich would not be missing like that.

I wouldn't even mind if it was rare but it isn't nor would I mind if my keeper was any good but in all the years I've played FM games and with almost 300 hours played on FM12 I can safely say I can count on one hand how many times my keeper has had a high rating and got MOTM regardless of who that keeper is, why do other strikers score such perfect shots into the corner of the net when the best in the world blast it straight down the keepers throat? that's what really pisses me off, happening rare is fair enough but it isn't rare on this game.

On the other hand, I have witnessed some weird stuff on this game for example, UTD beating Liverpool 8-1 with SIX of those goals coming with TEN men and Everton winning the league in my FIRST season then getting relegated in the SECOND, what the feck? how can you go from being the champions to getting relegated! I guess this is the case for most people though, look at managers in real life who, if their team had 99% of decisions go for them they'd mention the one that didn't but still, FM is a game and even though football in general is inconsistent it's nowhere near as bad as it is on FM.

I'd love people to find teams who consistently create 8+ chances on target per game and still lose to teams who created a quarter of that, just ain't gonna happen.

Check this out, after 60 mins I'm down 1-3 and they've had 3 shots on target and scored 3 but this is where it gets funny to me:

1st scorer: 1 start, 2 sub 0 goals and no shot on target yet 1 shot against me and scores.

2nd scorer: 8 starts 0 goals and shot on target % of 30 yet 1 shot against me and scores.

3rd scorer: 6 starts 1 sub 0 goals and no shots on target yet 1 shot against me and scores.

I mean come on, what are the chances of this happening?

1st scorer: 1 start, 2 sub 0 goals and no shot on target yet 1 shot against me and scores.

2nd scorer: 8 starts 0 goals and shot on target % of 30 yet 1 shot against me and scores.

3rd scorer: 6 starts 1 sub 0 goals and no shots on target yet 1 shot against me and scores.

I mean come on, what are the chances of this happening?

This is something i have noticed quite a lot too, i seem to concede a lot of goals that are that players 1st goal of the season. I mean how do players keep consistently getting their 1st goal against me?

I think what is actually winding me up most is having a striker one on one with the keeper and blasting it miles over/wide. The least i would expect is the player to hit it on target even if it forces a save, thats fine at least that player is hitting the shot where it should be going. I always get strikers who have high composure so i'm certain its not an issue with their attributes.

i see 1st goal of the season. it is either a wondergoal or from set piece.

what i see is my players missing sitters constantly..

Ye,that pretty much covers it. Always their 1st goal of the season on the PC team. I guess they waited all season long to prove themselves,on you!

And by the way,is anyone having this pattern happening over and over again?

1) Your team starts out well,pushing the other team really hard, they miss 2-5 shots

2) Their rating drops for no reason

3) Other team somehow starts pushing

4) You lose

It happens waaaay too often with me...it's so frustrating...

aigoalbug.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

21 matches, 26 conceded goals. I have marked the only exception to the observation that the AI scores on their -first- shot at goal in the match. In most cases it is their only shot at goal. In most cases these are situations where their goalscorer was under heavy pressure from a Chelsea defender.

Maybe the problem is a tactical one because this happens to my friend playing as Chelsea while I don't experience this too often either in this savegame with Arsenal or in my Bradford save. It is important to note that the selected fixtures starts with the Milan match being the first after the 12.2 patch. Both me and him experience that we also score on our first shot at goal quite often, especially since the patch.

Nevertheless, despite possible tactical issues; why would it be a tactical problem to concede one big chance per match and creating dozens? Why is Cech's save percentage over these 21 matches 25%? How would one go about fixing a defensive issue where the opponent creates virtually nothing but is hyper-efficient regardless of player quality? Is "it's your tactics" really an adequate answer given the variation in opponent tactics, player types, playing conditions and other factors?

How could a patch not changing the ME affect the gaming experience in such a way?

Played Wales as England and bummed them, they got 1 shot on target and scored when Ramsey hit a 40 yard screamer, fair enough as I won 7-1 anyway then played QPR as Chelsea and they scored 2 goals from 2 on target, both guys scoring for the first time again, now fair enough people might say I'm crap at the game but that happening twice in two matches in a row using two different teams and two different tactics with two different match instructions playing in two different stadiums against two different teams in two...well, you get the picture.

I don't even concede a ton of goals but when I was winning everything as Barcelona you just KNEW you're going to concede atleast ONE goal a match because you just feel the game HAS to score against you so alot of my results ended with a 1 for the other side. This for me has been the biggest thing that pisses me off about FM, how damn easy it is to concede regardless of team or tactics used.

Another thing I'd like to add is how terrible my players seem to be in 1on1 situations and that it's easier to score a 25 yard rocket that it is to score a 1on1 and no this isn't because of his composure because it happens with any team I use pretty much, I remember back in FM11 I believe I used FMRTE to put a striker with 20 stats for every major attribute then changed his PPMS aswell yet it made little difference when it came to 1on1s, infact I might just use FMRTE again to make all of my team have 20 stats and see if I still get this nonsense.

Actually it almost pretty obvious. It's a good ol' stupid mechanic that has survived since FM11. Your players continuously throw their shots on the keeper,whereas the AI players absolutely always aim for the corner of the net. No further explanation needed.

Inb4 the "defenders" say that no such thing exists and it's our tactics.

Actually it almost pretty obvious. It's a good ol' stupid mechanic that has survived since FM11. Your players continuously throw their shots on the keeper,whereas the AI players absolutely always aim for the corner of the net. No further explanation needed.

Inb4 the "defenders" say that no such thing exists and it's our tactics.

Why even bother trying to play the game if you're this jaded towards it? To think that SI puts that "mechanic" in the game is simply foolish.

Why even bother trying to play the game if you're this jaded towards it? To think that SI puts that "mechanic" in the game is simply foolish.

It's one of the first complains that appeared for the FM11 match engine and it was never fixed. I don't call that jaded towards the game.I call it being realistic. Be my guest,go check last year's threads and see for yourself.

I'm not jaded towards the game.I'm tired of the "it's your tactics" reply,because it's not. Sorry,but when I create ~5 chances that my player is right in front of the goal and all 5 of them end up right on the keepers chest,whereas the AI needs only one such chance to score on the corner of the net,then no,it's not my tactics. I'm not talking about having 20+ shots,I'm talking about having chances that even me and you would have a high chance of scoring,let alone actual professional athletes.

Oh,and I didn't keep on playing FM11. FM12 had a few minor tweaks that might salvage it,but it's borderline on my book compared to 10,where I will most likely end up continuing my long-term save.

Simply foolish is you thinking that everything is perfect. I didn't say that SI put those mechanics to "cheat" the user. It's a pseudo-rubber band effect to keep the scoreline realistic. Nothing bad from their side,the contrary,realistic scorelines are welcome,but forcing the players to do bad decisions is ridiculous,especially when they have stats of 16-20 on decisions,composure,etc,etc.

It's one of the first complains that appeared for the FM11 match engine and it was never fixed. I don't call that jaded towards the game.I call it being realistic. Be my guest,go check last year's threads and see for yourself.

I'm not jaded towards the game.I'm tired of the "it's your tactics" reply,because it's not. Sorry,but when I create ~5 chances that my player is right in front of the goal and all 5 of them end up right on the keepers chest,whereas the AI needs only one such chance to score on the corner of the net,then no,it's not my tactics. I'm not talking about having 20+ shots,I'm talking about having chances that even me and you would have a high chance of scoring,let alone actual professional athletes.

Oh,and I didn't keep on playing FM11. FM12 had a few minor tweaks that might salvage it,but it's borderline on my book compared to 10,where I will most likely end up continuing my long-term save.

Simply foolish is you thinking that everything is perfect. I didn't say that SI put those mechanics to "cheat" the user. It's a pseudo-rubber band effect to keep the scoreline realistic. Nothing bad from their side,the contrary,realistic scorelines are welcome,but forcing the players to do bad decisions is ridiculous,especially when they have stats of 16-20 on decisions,composure,etc,etc.

Form plays a huge part in this.

I'm 12 years into a Barcelona save, and I have a team that can drub anyone 5-0 on their day. And I do, for the first 15-20 games of the season. I'm usually 19-1-0 or so. Then "form" runs out for no reason around Christmas-Feb. Can't score at home against the team at bottom, win 1-0 thanks to an own goal. I still make the same chances, except now I cannot score. That same striker who already has 30 for the season, and who will grab another 15 after this "form" period is up, can't score an open goal.

It is hugely frustrating for every player to suddenly become Emile Heskey. I can understand if one or two of them lose it, or if everyone has bad periods over the year, but its all of them from Christmas-Feb.

Not tactics.

It's definitely the case that something has changed since 12.2. While I was conceding an average of 0,3-0,5 goals per game before the patch for almost 4 seasons I can barely keep a clean sheet since the 12.2 patch.

I actually just took a look at it and noticed I conceded one goal per game (22 goals in 22 games) since the 12.2 patch. Also the goals my teams scored went down from 3,3-3,5 over the last two seasons to 2,9 over the last 22 games. Sure it's a bit uneven to really say something has significantly changed but a trend is definitely noticeable.

Then I must clearly be missing something, because I don't see this happening in my games. I have players that are more consistent than others, one striker who in particular is prone to wasting easy chances, but that's why he's a rotation player and not a first team player, I only play him 15-20 games a year. I don't see a dip in "form" in Jan-Feb. Those months actually tend to be better months for me and I usually start a run to wards the top of the table in February (if I'm not already there).

I don't think that the game "forces bad decisions" to keep scoreline realistic. I think it's a football simulation and sometimes you just get unlucky. I see AI players hit the ball straight at my keeper just as often as my strikers do. I had this happen in a game I just finished playing. My LB got caught too far forward on a ball over the top giving the AMR what should have been a pretty simple finish (hard and low to the near post would have been great) but he hit straight into my keeper's chest and that was the only good chance they had all game.

edit: And the game was played on Jan 18th, right in the middle of when my team should be losing it's form.

Archived