+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: (FM11) A most excellent adventure (or a very bogus journey!)

Semi Pro
    In game: To the north of the Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by JackJCFC View Post
    Destroyed in europe but at least your getting some big wins in the league.
    Well, they say you learn more from defeat than victory, and my European exploits have certainly taught me a little about my team. Desperate for the treble now though...

Semi Pro

February

Welsh Cup
    Haverfordwest 5-1 Holyhead
    A brace from Hopkinson, one from Higgins, another from Reilly and an OG put us in the hat for the next round.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Aberystwyth
    An OG and an Ashmore stunner secured yet another home win.

WPL Llanelli 1-0 Haverfordwest
    23 shots on goal to their 4, yet on the wrong end of the result. Ouch.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Bala
    A good recovery, and after Martin Reilly scored his 50th goal for the club we were always in command. Higgins scored a second right on half time, before James Ashmore grabbed the third and put the game beyind Bala.

Reserves

Llanelli still a pain I see.

Semi Pro

March

Welsh Cup Quarter Final
    Haverfordwest 5-2 Bala
    Our second meeting in the space of a few days led to another good win, although we had let a 2 goal lead slip. Tim Hopkinson and Alan Lynch had us in front early on before Bala got back into it. Higgins put us back in front in the 65th minute before Joe Jones and Bridge-Wilkinson sealed our progress into another semi final.

WPL Carmarthen 1-2 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Bridge-Wilkinson and Martin Reilly settled this one, putting us 8 points clear in the process. Our next match is against our closest challengers...

WPL Neath 0-2 Haverfordwest
    Martin Reilly's double gave us a massive win, and with five games left to play we can nearly taste the title.

WPL Aberystwyth 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Hopkinson and an Alan Lynch double secured a great win at the home of our rivals.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Llanelli still a pain I see.
    Yeah, definitely away from home they are.

Semi Pro

April

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 LLanelli
    Despite falling behind early on, a goal from my two centre halves Jones and Hughes turned it around, before Ashmore sealed it from the spot. A huge crowd of 503 saw it, too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welsh Cup Semi final
    Airbus 1-1 Haverfordwest (aet, 1-3 on penalties)
    This was a war of attrition. Once Joe Jones put us in front with 10min left to play, I thought we were in the final. However, we conceded straight away, and it went to pens. Luckily, we held our nerve and progress to the final.

WPL Bala 0-2 Haverfordwest
    An early Tim Hopkinson tap in, and a 30 yarder from Marc Bridge-Wilkinson gives us another 3 points, and equals our points tally of last year with 2 games left to play.

Semi Pro

The Loosemore League Cup Final

Saturday 4th May 2013

Carmarthen Town FC Vs Haverfordwest County AFC

The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

So a repeat then of my last League Cup final from a couple of seasons ago, and a meeting with a big rival to boot. We've a good record in my time, having won 8 out of 9 games against them, including the 4-1 scoreline in the previous cup final. We've won 9 games in a row in recent weeks too, but this is cup football! Let's see what happens... No real injury news of note, although there's a little tiredness in the squad.

First half

Not the best of starts, we fell behind early on after our offside trap was breached and Craig Frater smashed Carmarthen into the lead. Luckily we rallied, and despite Alan Lynch having a goal ruled out for offside, Tim Hopkinson grabbed us a leveller just before half time.

Half time: Carmarthen 1-1 Haverfordwest

Second half

It was our turn to start the second half quickly, and after a bit of early pressure Tim Hopkinson latched onto Bridge-Wilkinson's through ball and buried his second of the game. Carmarthen responded by going all out attack, but that led to another break and Martin Reilly slotted home a third. Game. Over.

Final score

Two down....

Semi Pro

May

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Neath
    A much changed side ahead of the league cup final, and we secured a win thanks to new striker Liam Dickinson's first for the club.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 Carmarthen
    Again a much changed side, with the second cup final to come. Dickinson made it 2 in 2, before youngster Rivers and Matty Hughes got the others.

Semi Pro

The Welsh Cup Final

Saturday 11th May 2013
    Haverfordwest County AFC Vs Port Talbot Town FC
    Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

Back for another cup final looking to secure a treble, and to retain the cup at the same time. Port Talbot had had an average season really, finishing in 7th place which is probably disappointing after qualifying for Europe last year. I'm feeling pretty confident of beating them, but it wouldn't be the biggest shock if I get beaten. I'm pretty much at full strength for the game too, although super sub Lynch is missing. Dickinson will get a place on the three man subs bench then after his recent form.

First half

A dream start. A Port Talbot goal kick only reached the half way line, and Rooney's header put Tim Hopkinson in, who drilled the ball into the net after 4 minutes. Port Talbot responded well though, and from a 17th minute corner, Lee Ratcliffe rose like a salmon and levelled the game. Worryingly, we also lost Ashmore to injury just before the break.

Half time: Haverfordwest 1-1 Port Talbot

Second half

Not much to report second half, although there was a scare when David Cowan's pass back was pounced on by a Port Talbot striker, but Phil Imray came to the rescue.

Full time: Haverfordwest 1-1 Port Talbot

Extra time

Extra time was very lively, with Port Talbot hitting the post from a 30 yard free kick after the first minute. Imray was forced into a couple of saves before we finally got on top, and Bridge-Wilkinson fed Hopkinson who drilled home from 18 yards. In the second half of extra time they couldn't live with us, and Dickinson's header took a huge deflection of defender Kye Edwards for an own goal. Victory in the bag...

Final score

Reserves

Proper job!

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2012/13

League

Media prediction: 3rd
    Finished: 1st (champions)

Cups

Welsh Cup: Winners
    Loosemore League Cup: Winners

Top scorers

Tim Hopkinson (34 apps/ 23 goals)
    Martin Reilly (48 apps/ 23 goals)
    Alan Lynch (27 apps/ 13 goals)

Positives

Where to start! Qualifying for the Champions League group stages? Winning all the domestic trophies? Winning the championship with record points and goals? Impossible to put a definitive answer on it, but needless to say it's been a heck of a good season. Considering after the Champions League knock out I was considering tearing up the squad, I'm pretty convinced now that each and every one of them deserve another shot at Europe, but we shall see what bargains I can uncover in the transfer window. The signing of Bridge-Wilkinson was pretty inspired I think, and not only did he make 21 goals in all competitions he scored nine from midfield, too. Joe Jones, who was signed simply as he was a youngster who would help fulfil the league's criteria for 2 U19 players in a match squad, has been absolutely brilliant. And then there's the form of Hopkinson, who despite missing weeks and weeks through injury grabbed 23 goals.

Concerns

The only concern is the mauling we took in Europe, but that's pretty low on the list. Just making the group stages in only our second season in European competition was an achievement in itself in my opinion.

Ambitions

I'm not going to expect to win the treble again, but retaining the league has to be target number 1. Anything else is a bonus. European football would be good again, but we'll see where we go...

League table

Surprise of the season

Not sure if still counts as a surprise, but my U19s good form continued and they won their title, with my reserves missing about by 2 points.

Player of the season

Tim Hopkinson

Average attendance

377 in league (increase of 4)
    530 in all competitions (increase of 63)
    Last edited by withnail316; 20-03-2012 at 17:43.

Semi Pro

Proper job!
    Yep, it's been pretty good. Can't wait to get the new season underway now....

Youth Team

Great season, hopefully you can make group stages.

Third Team

Excellent season overall,just wait till your facilities improve as your u19's and reserves will probably start walking their leagues

Semi Pro

Great season, hopefully you can make group stages.
    Fingers crossed, although maybe I can be a little more competitive this time!

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Excellent season overall,just wait till your facilities improve as your u19's and reserves will probably start walking their leagues
    I'd like to be able to bring a couple of youngsters through, so the facilities will help. It'd also be nice to see some general improvement amongst the squad, and so having new facilities and going full time will help there...

Youth Team

hows your scouting network doing btw? have you managed to get scouts around europe?

Semi Pro

Nope, I'm still just scouting the UK & Ireland, but that's deliberate to be honest. I'm trying (at least for now) to stick to British and Irish players in my squad.... which is a change for me! I'm normally a non-league/ lower league Arsene Wenger...

Semi Pro

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season preview 2013/14

Media prediction: 1st
    Board expectation: Win the championship

So expectations of the board and the media have increased after last year, which I suppose is understandable. The club though have at least responded with a very decent budget for the new season, which has seriously tempted me in the transfer window. However, I'm likely to have another season of signing freebies and instead just offer the players who've won all these trophies a decent pay hike. Anyway, here's that budget:

It's been relatively quiet in the transfer window as I've decided to largely stick with what I have. Yes, it might make Europe difficult again, but I surely can't get a group as bad as last year if I make it through, right? Besides, this is about building for the future, and the relatively young players I've been looking for haven't been willing to sign yet. Maybe two or three more years and our reputation will improve enough to make having this huge transfer budget worthwhile!

This season there have been a few more fringe players looking to leave, and several moves have gone through already. These are:

Nigel Nieta to Hibernian (£35,000)
    Rene Howe to Cheltenham (£10,000)
    Joe Lolley to Southport
    Shane Sweeney to Forest Green
    Edwin Ellis (free)
    Matthew Thompson (free)

I'm also trying to get rid of Louis Swanson and Chris Oldfield, so I'll update this if they leave between now and the winow closing in September.

Players arriving have all been 18 and under, but the player I'm most impressed with is below:

He's expensive, my biggest earner by nearly £400p/w, but as a one off I think we can afford him. Richards was released on a free by Man City, and if I can find the right strike partner for him I have massively high hopes. Certainly gives me a few headache problems up front, but that's a good thing. I've now got five first team strikers if I don't include Howe and Nieta, and three of them have scored 50+ goals for the club. I've also signed three young midfielders, generally to help with the U19 rule for league games.

Here's my European draw, too.

Last edited by withnail316; 21-03-2012 at 01:55.

Semi Pro

Bloody friendlies!

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

CL 2nd Qualifying round 1st leg

Haverfordwest 4-0 FH
    A dream of a first leg, and an incredible debut from Steven Richards. He scored 2 and made one for Higgins in his first game, and Joe Jones sealed off the victory. A dream of a European game.

CL 2nd Qualifying round 2nd leg
    FH 1-3 Haverfordwest (1-7 on aggregate)
    Goals from Tim Hopkinson, James Ashmore and Jarret Rivers give us a great away win.

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

CL 3rd Qualifying round 1st leg
    Haverfordwest 4-1 Unirea Urziceni
    Another really strong home performance, with Richard once again bagging a double. James Ashmore scored the other two to put us in an incredibly strong position for the second leg.

CL 3rd Qualifying round 2nd leg
    Unirea Urziceni 6-1 Haverfordwest (aet)
    Absolutely gutted. It was like we were a completely different team, and after conceding just 30 seconds in, they got a second when Jones dropped down injured while they were clean through on goal! Hopkinson got us back into it, but ultimately there were too many poor performances. Don't fancy my chances of making the Europa League!

Youth Team

Wow what happened there! you got smashed!!

Semi Pro

Wow what happened there! you got smashed!!
    Too many poor defensive displays, unfortunately. It was a bit of a shock though!

Reserves

Ouch, golden chance that was.

Semi Pro

August

WPL Llanelli 0-4 Haverfordwest
    Higgins, Hughes, Richards and Richard Dunn on his debut settled a tough opening fixture.

Europa League Play Off first leg
    Dnipro 1-1 Haverfordwest
    We fell behind early on, and I was expecting another European hiding. However, we got right back into the match, and Matty Hughes grabbed a potentially massive away goal with a thumping header Ashmore's corner.

WPL Haverfordwest 0-0 Carmarthen
    Typical European hangover type performance. At least we got a point.

Europa League Play Off second leg
    Haverfordwest 2-1 Dnipro
    Bonkers. After 20 minutes we found ourself behind, and in fairness it could have been 5. Very lucky to get to half time just one behind, although two substitutions were enforced thanks to injury. Rather than go like-for-like and knowing we needed to score 2, I decided to go for it, and brought on another striker. We got back into it in the 69th minute through a thumping header from Higgins, and it looked like extra time. However, things changed again when David Cowan was dismissed in time added on, but the free kick was caught by Imray and launched forwards to Dickinson. He raced through and just as he was about to shoot, he was fouled in the area. James Ashmore held his nerve in the 97th minute, and thundered his penalty into the top corner.

Semi Pro

Hoping I can pick up a point from this group.....

Youth Team

That Champions League 2nd match was a bit of a whiplash. Hopefully the Europa League offers a decent chance at some European movement. Good progress for a Welsh side!

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    That Champions League 2nd match was a bit of a whiplash. Hopefully the Europa League offers a decent chance at some European movement. Good progress for a Welsh side!
    It was really tough to take, especially after playing so well against them at home. Still, I'm more than happy with the Europa League consolation, and maybe if I can pick up a win it'll be better for my reputation too. Can't be any worse than last year!

Semi Pro

September

WPL Afan Lido 1-2 Haverfordwest
    A much changed side as there was a lot of tiredness from the European game, and we started terribly. A goal down after three minutes, but Martin Reilly quickly restored parity, and Richard Dunn got the winner just before half time.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Bangor City
    One from Higgins and 2 from Nathan Rooney set up another home win, and take us to the top of the league for the first time this season.

Europa League Group H
    Haverfordwest 1-0 Ankaragucu
    Nathan Rooney's 25 yard strike was enough to give us our first ever win in the group stages of European football. Happy days!

WPL Haverfordwest 2-1 Prestatyn
    Very wasteful and messy performance, but we got the win in the end. Richards and Dunn with the goals.

WPL Aberystwyth 1-4 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Jones, Richards, Rooney and Ashmore decided this one, although I've had an argument with Hopkinson about his recent form. Hopefully he'll come back and find the net!

Semi Pro

:mad::mad::mad:

Having an absolute nightmare with injuries.....

Semi Pro

October

Europa League Group H
    Catania 4-1 Haverfordwest
    Another tough European game, although the score line was harsh on us. First half was very even, and when Tim Hopkinson levelled right on half time, I thought we were in with a shout. The second half was a different matter, although a much bigger concern was losing not one, not two but THREE strikers to injury. There's only five at the club!

Couldn't resist making a signing...

WPL Haverfordwest 8-0 Cwmbran Celtic
    Wow, what a debut that was! Loy scored two and made three more, with Richards bagging three, a Jones header, a Mitchell screamer and an OG. No idea what I'm going to do when all my strikers are fit, but I'll worry about that later!

Loosemore League Cup
    Llanelli 2-2 Haverfordwest (aet, 3-4 on pens)
    I was fearing the worst for this after my squad was decimated by international call ups. Worse still when we fell behind after 30 seconds, but Laurence Gaughan equalised for a first time, and James Ashmore took the tie to extra time. Luckily we held our nerve on penalties.

WPL Port Talbot 0-3 Haverfordwest
    An OG, a Danny Murphy penalty and a screamer from Rooney continue our great start to the domestic season.

Europa League Group H
    Marseille 3-0 Haverfordwest
    Better than last year, but only marginally. Still, I'm finding the EL a little more enjoyable than the CL so far...

[

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/richardsinjury.png/][/URL]

For the record, that's 4 out of 6 strikers injured, and one ineligible for Europe. So frustrating

Loosemore League Cup Quarter final
    Prestatyn 0-5 Haverfordwest
    Well, at least my fit strikers found the net! Two from Loy, one from Lynch, and a double from Rivers send us into the semis for a fourth successive year.

Youth Team

Shame about the injuries but at least you got a european win!

Semi Pro

Shame about the injuries but at least you got a european win!
    Yep, and as yet I'm not bottom of the group!

Semi Pro

November

WPL TNS 1-3 Haverfordwest
    Dickinson scored on his return, as did Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and an OG rounded things off.

Nice to see my reputation is increasing

Europa League Group H
    Haverfordwest 0-3 Marseille
    Ouch.

Loosemore League Cup Semi final 1st leg
    Neath 1-6 Haverfordwest
    A brilliant first leg, with goals from Dickinson, Bridge-Wilkinson, Loy, Ashmore, Mitchell and an OG

Loosemore League Cup Semi final 2nd leg
    Haverfordwest 1-0 Neath (7-1 on aggregate)
    Again we were decimated by call ups, but a Matty Hughes goal meant an emphatic semi final win, which sends us into a third League Cup final.

WPL Haverfordwest 4-1 Llanelli
    Two from Bridge-Wilkinson, one from Rooney and a Dickinson header gives us our ninth league win in 10 games.

Welsh Cup
    Haverfordwest 4-0 Bridgend
    Two more from Loy, a screamer of a free kick from Bridge-Wilkinson and a tap in from Hopkinson puts us into the next round.

Semi Pro

December

WPL Carmarthen 1-2 Haverfordwest
    A goal from Nathan Rooney and a last gasp Rory Loy finish secured another win.

Europa League Group H
    Ankaragucu 1-4 Haverfordwest
    Best ever result of this career. A double from Hopkinson, a lovely chip from Bridge-Wilkinson and a Rooney stunner gives us another European win. We can't progress but to take six points is definite progress.

That'd be an interesting challenge...

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Afan Lido
    Higgins, Loy and Dunn rounded off a great week for the club.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Neath
    Another solid win which takes us 13 points clear at the top of the league. Goals from Jones, Loy and Hopkinson settled it.

WPL Bangor City 0-1 Haverfordwest
    Looked like a 0-0 banker, but a late Hopkinson goal secured another league win.

Europa League Group H
    Haverfordwest 0-2 Catania
    This could have gone either way, but I can't complain with my Europa League exploits. I took five points more than I hoped for!

WPL Prestatyn 0-4 Haverfordwest
    A double from Hopkinson, a screamer from Rooney, and Richards' first goal for more than 8 hours sealed it.

WPL Haverfordwest 5-0 Aberystwyth
    The league form continues. Goals from Bridge-Wilkinson, Hopkinson, Loy and a double from Jones ensures a great win.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-1 Bala
    Not a particularly good performance, but a Steven Richards header ensured a share of the spoils.

Semi Pro

Mid season report 2013/14

So far so good for this particular campaign. Our home form has been almost perfect, progressing into the final of the league cup. still being in the Welsh Cup and dropping just four points in the league. Although getting knocked out of the Champions League was a big disappointment, qualifying for the Europa League was a decent commiseration prize, and winning two games was brilliant. Quite happy with my squad so far as well, and while the signing of Loy was forced on me by injuries, he's turned into a cracker of a striker. Anyway, here's the table so far:

Off the field, we've more than £6m in the bank after our training ground and youth facilities have been upgraded. I'm hoping we can get the facilities improved again, but we'll see how we go.

Semi Pro

January

WPL Cwmbran Celtic 0-4 Haverfordwest
    Two for Bridge-Wilkinson and 2 for Loy gives us another thumping victory.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Port Talbot
    Bridge-Wilkinson and Hopkinson were the difference here.

WPL Neath 2-2 Haverfordwest
    Very nearly led to a first defeat of the season, but a late Steven Richards double ensured we picked up a point.

WPL Haverfordwest 0-0 TNS
    Very average performance.

WPL Bala 1-1 Haverfordwest
    Gah. Another late goal conceded cost us. Williams with our goal.

Semi Pro

February

Welsh Cup
    Haverfordwest 6-0 Mold Alex
    Two goals each for strikers Loy, Hopkinson and Dickinson see us progress.

WPL TNS 0-4 Haverfordwest
    Changed my system slightly, and it seems to have worked. Goals from Dunn, Richards and a double from Loy.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Neath
    Goals from Hopkinson and Richards sends us twenty points clear with eight games left to play.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 Llanelli
    A Tim Hopkinson double and one from Rory Loy moves us ever closer to the title, although a knock to Loy rules him out of the cup quarter final.
    Last edited by withnail316; 23-03-2012 at 21:53.

Reserves

Looks like you're over the blip.

Semi Pro

March

Welsh Cup quarter final
    Bryntirion 0-5 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Higgins, Hopkinson, Rooney, Dickinson and an OG put us into the semis.

WPL Port Talbot 2-3 Haverfordwest
    Two from Hopkinson and one from Richards continues our unbeaten run.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 Aberystwyth
    An OG, a goal from Richards and another from Lynch secured another win against our rivals

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 TNS
    Richards, Murphy and Higgins ensure our unbeaten run continues.

Semi Pro

Looks like you're over the blip.
    Yeah, it's been a good month. I'm beginning to consider having a look in the job centre though....

Reserves

Don't blame you, probably getting unchallenging, plus your trophies = rep increase and chances of better.

Semi Pro

Don't blame you, probably getting unchallenging, plus your trophies = rep increase and chances of better.
    I've been linked with a few decent jobs so far, but I'm thinking of looking towards the SPL. One of the New Firm clubs maybe, or perhaps one of the Edinburgh two. Somewhere that's a relatively big club, but with no European reputation.

Semi Pro

April

WPL Llanelli 1-0 Haverfordwest
    That's the unbeaten record over with, although it was a shocker of a goal to concede. First defeat in 36 league games (or a whole season plus 4)

Welsh Cup Semi final
    Haverfordwest 2-1 TNS
    Goals from Rory Loy and Ruaidhri Higgins see us into our third straight Welsh Cup final.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Port Talbot
    An own goal secures another three points for us

WPL Neath 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Two from Rooney and Richards' 20th of the season secured another win.

Semi Pro

Saturday 3rd May 2014

Haverfordwest County AFC Vs Port Talbot

Not the first time we've met Port Talbot in a cup final, and if I can repeat the Welsh Cup final result from last year I'll be delighted. The whole squad is fit, so I'm going to go for it in a 4-3-3 system, with Loy, Hopkinson and Richards up front. With just one defeat all season, I'm more than confident we can secure a third league up, and for those that like stats, I've lost just once in 17 meetings with Port Talbot, which was in my first season.

First half

Well, we've been in charge since the first whistle, but missed chance after chance after chance. Luckily, just before half time Danny Murphy's free kick was nodded in at the far post by Joe Jones giving us the half time advantage.

Half time: Haverfordwest 1-0 Port Talbot

Second half

The second half started awfully. Phil Imray's kick out didn't even make the half way line, which allowed Port Talbot's midfielder to slide a through ball into the path of Lee Ratcliffe, who slotted the ball into the corner. Worse was to follow, with a late second yellow card for Steven Richards, and so we'd have to play extra time with 10 men.

Full time: Haverfordwest 1-1 Port Talbot

Extra time

Despite being down to 10, were largely on top. However, despite our dominance we couldn't find another goal, with chances missed from Loy, Hopkinson and late sub Dickinson. To penalties then...

Full time

Gutted. Really should have won this match, but if you don't take your chances you get nothing.

WPL Aberystwyth 1-3 Haverfordwest
    Ten changes made from the cup final team, and it seemed to work. An OG, a goal from Dickinson and a Lynch header secured the win and a record breaking final points total.
    Last edited by withnail316; 24-03-2012 at 00:40.

Semi Pro

The Welsh Cup Final

Saturday 10th May 2014
    Llanelli AFC Vs Haverfordwest County AFC
    Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

So just a week after losing my first cup final, I get the opportunity to win another trophy. In a repeat of my first Welsh Cup final, we meet Llanelli, a club I've had plenty of difficulty against in the past. They didn't have a good season by their standards, finishing fifth in the table. They were however the only side to beat me in the league all season, so it could go either way. That said, I'm once again going to go for it in a 4-3-3 system.

First half

A really even first half with chances at either end. We started strongly, and after just four minutes Nathan Rooney blasted us in front. Llanelli did get themselves back into it as the half wore on, and 7 minutes before the break Rhys Guard levelled the match. A few too many average performances for me, so I lost my temper...

Half time: Llanelli 1-1 Haverfordwest

Second half

Another very even second half, but ultimately there were no more goals. For the second time in a week we've gone to extra time.

Full time: Llanelli 1-1 Haverfordwest

Extra time

So much action in extra time! Llanelli turned the game on it's head in the 97th minute, with Gary Hamilton going around Phil Imray and putting them in front. I responded by going all out attack, and Steven Richards drilled home from 25 yards to level the game right after half time. Four minutes later we were in front, with substitute Liam Dickinson being put in by Bridge-Wilkinson and slotting into the corner. Despite lots of Llanelli pressure, we hung on...

Final score

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2013/14

League

Cups

Welsh Cup: Winners
    League Cup: Finalists

Top scorer

Steven Richards (42 apps/ 21 goals)
    Tim Hopkinson (45 apps/ 20 goals)
    Rory Loy (33 apps/ 19 goals)
    Nathan Rooney (48 apps/ 13 goals)

Positives

Despite a couple of disappointments, it's been another great season all in all. Winning the league by even more points than we did last year, and scoring even more goals was brilliant. We couldn't quite go unbeaten, but to lose just one match was great. I'm amazed that in four seasons I still haven't lost a home game to a Welsh side! Although it was a real disappointment getting knocked out of the Champions League from such a strong position, it was still good to progress in the Europa. Winning two games seems like real progress. It was also nice to have such a strong squad that I could make 11 changes and still be strong enough to beat most sides, which will also have had something to do with us winning both the reserve and U19 championships too.

Concerns

Can I count losing a final on penalties as a concern? Thought not! However, the board have just cancelled my new facility upgrades for a "lack of funds" despite having £6.2m in the bank. Was a tad annoying. Other than that, my next concern is whether to remain at the club or not...

Ambitions

This depends on whether I remain at the club or not. If I do stay, I'd like to make the Champions League again, and if not, we'll judge that when it comes to it...

League table

Player of the season

Rory Loy

Average attendance

477 in the league (an increase of 100)
    635 in total (an increase of 105)
    Last edited by withnail316; 24-03-2012 at 18:21.

Third Team

Congrats on the double,shame you lost out in the league cup which was really unlucky looking at those stats.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Congrats on the double,shame you lost out in the league cup which was really unlucky looking at those stats.
    Cheers, man. It was gutting to be honest, but if you don't take your chances....

Semi Pro

OK, decision made, I'm staying at Haverfordwest. Time to crack on...

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by withnail316 View Post
    OK, decision made, I'm staying at Haverfordwest. Time to crack on...
    Still so much you can do for the club, good choice!

Reserves

Might you be looking to leave in the future?

Semi Pro

Might you be looking to leave in the future?
    I think so, it depends on whether I can progress in Europe a little, and also whether I can find the right job. I don't just want to take anything!

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season preview 2014/15

Unsurprisingly after 4 title wins in a row the board want another, and the media share the same expectation. I'm pretty confident in my chances of winning it again, but I'd like to make a few changes within the squad. Thanks to the two U19 in a match day squad rule, I'd like to find a midfield and defence equivalent to Richards: a youngster who can come in and dramatically improve the side, but so far I'm struggling on that front. I'm also tempted to strengthen in goal, but sentiment is holding me back (Phil Imray has made 125 league appearances, and 193 in total, so part of me would like to see him go on and become the record appearance maker....) Anyway, the board have made another decent budget available:

A couple of players have left the club over the summer, the most noticeable being Laurence Gaughan who has joined Lincoln. He had slipped to my 4th choice central defender, and so I don't see it as a massive problem. Also leaving is Matty Collins, whose contract was allowed to expire, and Louis Swanson who was a bit of a disappointment in his Haverfordwest career. Coming in so far have been:

18 yo CB Les Stevenson
    18 yo CB Nigel Askey
    24 yo RB/LB Jonathan Brown (after a loan spell last year)
    20 yo CB Sean McGinty

Also signed an 18 yo midfielder on a two year loan deal from Cardiff. He looks pretty decent, but crucially he helps the U19 quota.

I'm still hoping to strengthen before the start of the league season, but I'm just a week away from the start of the European qualifiers, hence this update. Speaking of which:

I was pleased to see I was seeded for this draw, and so it already feels like a little progress!

I've played 2 friendlies in the run up to Europe, both against my feeder clubs, and both finished in 7-0 wins! I'll take that...
    Last edited by withnail316; 26-03-2012 at 00:06.

Semi Pro

OK, I decided to scrap the idea of sentimentality and spent some money. Well, for a club of my size A LOT of money! £850,000 from Sunderland which becomes both my record and first transfer fee... I'd been watching him for a while, and when he turned down a new deal at Sunderland I decided the time was right.

My coach and my best scout's opinions differ greatly, but as my scout has CA/PA ratings of 15, I decided I'd trust his five star ratings, not that of Murphy.

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

FC Inter 1-1 Haverfordwest
    Got a draw, but very disappointed with it. Rory Loy missed a penalty, we had two goals disallowed and hit the post umpteen times. Still, Tim Hopkinson got us an away goal, and hopefully we can finish the job at our place. We'll have to do so without Danny Murphy though, who was shown a straight red.

Haverfordwest 1-0 FC Inter
    Extremely tight as we made hard work of things, but Nathan Rooney's 25 yard screamer right on half time ultimately sent us through.

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

Haverfordwest 3-0 Zestaponi
    A great first leg, but after last year I'm not counting my chickens! Goals from Ashmore, Richards and Loy see us in a strong position for the trip to Georgia.

Zestaponi 2-3 Haverfordwest
    A great away performance, no hint of a complacency and we're one step away from the Champions League. A double from Hopkinson and one from Richards sees us through.

Last edited by withnail316; 25-03-2012 at 23:14.

Reserves

Not a bad draw.

Semi Pro

Not a bad draw.
    It could certainly have been worse...

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

Champions League Play Off 1st leg
    Haverfordwest 3-0 SV Mattersburg
    A brilliant first leg performance puts us in control of the tie. Goals from Richards, Hopkinson and Nathan Rooney, but I'm taking nothing for granted. Hopkinson picked up a knock during the game which is a shame, it's only 10 days but that's enough to miss out on the second leg.

Champions League Play Off 2nd leg
    SV Mattersburg 5-4 Haverfordwest
    I was absolutely disgusted with the defensive display, but we somehow pulled it out the fire going forward. Anyway, after a game like that just a description won't do!

Semi Pro

Fed up of playing Marseille, three years in a row now!

Semi Pro

August

WPL Carmarthen 0-6 Haverfordwest
    A dream of an opening day. A hat-trick for Richards, 2 for Loy and one for Ashmore sees the season begin with a stonker of a performance.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-2 Aberystwyth
    One of those games that leaves me wanting to punch my laptop! 2-0 up and cruising with 5mins left to play, they have 2 shots and score both :mad: Higgins and Lynch with our goals.

WPL Afan Lido 2-1 Haverfordwest
    A truly pitiful performance after the European game. Hopkinson scored our goal in the 93rd minute but we were just awful, so much so that fines were issued and players will be dropped.

Amateur

Another tough group, but I think you could've drawn some worse teams

Youth Team

Not a bad draw all things considered. With some luck you can nick a point or 2.

Semi Pro

September

Lost this update earlier, so it's just the scores/ scorers this month.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 TNS
    Richards, Ashmore

Champions League Group F
    Haverfordwest 1-3 Sampdoria
    Hopkinson

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 Llanelli
    Loy (2) Jones

WPL Bala 1-1 Haverfordwest
    Loy

Champions League Group F
    HSV 2-0 Haverfordwest
    A defeat, but massive improvement all the same...

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by arinceo View Post
    Another tough group, but I think you could've drawn some worse teams
    "There's always a bigger fish" as they say. I still don't quite feel worthy of being in the Champions League with some of my players, but the group could certainly have been worse!

Not a bad draw all things considered. With some luck you can nick a point or 2.
    Not so sure about getting points yet, but at least should be a little more respectable than last time, which is still progress!
    Last edited by withnail316; 28-03-2012 at 03:50.

Semi Pro

October

WPL Port Talbot 3-5 Haverfordwest
    Conceded far too many for my liking, but we got some revenge for the League Cup final defeat. Goals from Bridge-Wilkinson (2) Murphy, McGinty and Lynch.

Loosemore League Cup
    Goytre 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Bridge-Wilkinson, Rory Loy and Danny Murphy see us through.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Prestatyn
    2 very different Steven Richards goals decided the outcome of this.

Champions League Group F
    Marseille 2-1 Haverfordwest
    So close! A really good defensive display this time, and they only scored from a free kick and from what looked like a clear foul. Steven Richards with our goal, and he had one disallowed in stoppage time too. Gutted.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-1 Neath
    Not for the first time, Neath almost cost me that domestic home unbeaten record. It took a 92nd minute Steven Richards strike to ensure that 4 year record wasn't broken.

Loosemore League Cup Quarter Final
    Haverfordwest 7-0 Carmarthen
    Had to rely on my assistant for this one after picking up a touchline ban. He did me proud with his management though, with goals from Lynch (2) Hopkinson (2) Loy (2) and Matty Hughes.

Semi Pro

Incidentally, those 7 goals in the last game included the 500th of my time at Haverfordwest. Not bad in 216 games...

Semi Pro

November

WPL Bangor City 1-4 Haverfordwest
    A hat-trick for Rory Loy and one for Lynch settled this one, keeping up the pressure on Llanelli at the top of the table.

Champions League Group F
    Haverfordwest 0-5 Marseille
    This was rough, but they had 31 shots on goal, and 24 on target! It could have been a cricket score.

Welsh Cup Third Round
    Port Talbot 5-3 Haverfordwest
    A disgrace of a second half saw me lose my first Welsh Cup tie for three years. Despite leading 3-1 and seemingly cruising, we completely imploded in the final half hour. Our goals came from Loy, Lynch and Hopkinson. It would seem Port Talbot have become quite the cup team...

Loosemore League Cup Semi Final 1st leg
    Llanelli 2-1 Haverfordwest
    Yet another defeat, but at least we have the away goal. Rory Loy scored it.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Carmarthen
    The run of defeats ended by an OG, but we're still playing badly. It's been a poor month.

Loosemore League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg
    Haverfordwest 5-0 Llanelli
    A bit of form restored. A brace from Hopkinson and one each from Lynch, Loy and Rivers puts us through to the final. I just wish Hopkinson could take hi cup form into the league! (1 league goal all season, yet 11 in all competitions...)

WPL Aberystwyth 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Loy, Rooney and Hopkinson in this one. Right on the coattails of Llanelli now....

Champions League Group F
    Sampdoria 3-0 Haverfordwest
    Was never anywhere near their level, but unless I concede 16 goals in my last game then it's an improvement on last time!

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Afan Lido
    Goals from Rory Loy and Tim Hopkinson decided this one.

Semi Pro

A quick look around shows the current Newcastle manager is fighting to keep his job in LEAGUE ONE. Sorely tempted to express some interest...

Semi Pro

December

WPL Haverfordwest 4-0 Goytre
    2 goals from Rory Loy, an OG and Richard Jones' first for the club secured the win that takes us back to the top.

WPL TNS 1-2 Haverfordwest
    Awful performance, but a late double from Steven Richards saw us grab another win. He'd gone more than 10 hours before scoring his 13th and 14th of the season.

Champions League Group F
    Haverfordwest 1-2 HSV
    So close to a point! If it wasn't for a red card to Joe Jones, I'm pretty certain we'd have got something. Still, Steven Richards again with the goal.

WPL Llanelli 1-3 Haverfordwest
    2 stunners from Richards and a Hopkinson tap in sends us clear at the top.

WPL Haverfordwest 4-1 Port Talbot
    A hat-trick for Richards and Hopkinson's 50th league goal for the club set up this win, and a little revenge for the cup defeat. However, it wasn't all good news...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us That'll be him out for the rest of the season

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Bala
    Two from Rory Loy and one from Dickinson decided this one.

Semi Pro

Mid season report 2014/15

It's been a mixed old campaign so far. Qualifying for the Champions League again was a real bonus, although it was a bit gutting not picking up any points. Even more annoying though was getting knocked out of the Welsh Cup in the third round, especially after being 3-1 up. Still, we're going well in the league and have made the League Cup final, so it's not all bad. Aside from that, we've picked up a few injuries which have caused a problem or two, and the Richards injury especially was gutting. 8 goals that month and then a five month lay off! Anyway, enough of that, here's the table:

Off the field I still can't get the board to agree to a new training ground or new youth facilities, despite having £10m in the bank which is a little frustrating to say the least! Still, hopefully I can convince them between now and the end of the season...

Semi Pro

January

WPL Neath 0-1 Haverfordwest
    A really tight game which was won by Rory Loy's 23rd goal of the season. We're looking a little light up top again though, with Hopkinson and Lynch joining Richards on the sidelines.

WPL Prestatyn 1-0 Haverfordwest
    This was an awful performance and we were lucky to get nil.

WPL Haverfordwest 5-0 Bangor City
    Two from Alan Lynch, one from Rory Loy, a Bridge-Wilkinson screamer and a Martin Reilly header decided this one.

WPL Goytre 1-4 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Lynch (2) Loy and Joe Jones in this one. Puts us 10 points clear with 10 games to play.

Semi Pro

February

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Afan Lido
    Goals from Loy, Hopkinson and an OG secured our 18th league win of the season.

WPL TNS 2-4 Haverfordwest
    Another decent win here, largely thanks to Alan Lynch. He bagged a hat-trick and made the other for Tim Hopkinson.

WPL Neath 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Goals from Lynch, Hopkinson and an OG sets up another solid win, and gets the Neath manager the sack in the process.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Llanelli
    A stunner from Richard Dunn separated us from our closest challengers.

Last edited by withnail316; 29-03-2012 at 02:29.

Youth Team

Congrats on the league!

I suppose the only thing you can hope for is a new board takeover that lets you develop the facilities.

Semi Pro

Cheers, man.

Luckily the board have now agreed to both upgrades. There's plenty of money in the bank, so a takeover doesn't seem likely any time soon!

Semi Pro

March

WPL Bangor City 0-1 Haverfordwest
    Tim Hopkinson grabbed a late winner in this one, drilling home his 19th of the season.

WPL Afan Lido 0-3 Haverfordwest
    Two for Hopkinson and one for Loy won this one comfortably.

Considering I only signed him as an emergency, he's been a revelation. 46 goals in 73 games puts him right up there with my best signings for the club.

Semi Pro

Decisions, decisions

Right, I need a little help. Do I offer Martin Reilly a new contract? He's had a pretty poor campaign, only scoring 1 goal, but he's largely been used as a sub. He's currently 5th choice out of 6 strikers (I'm playing 3 up top a lot right now) but I'm wondering if sentiment is the reason I'm considering it.

To put it into context, he's scored 55 goals in 130 games and is the third top scorer in my time at the club. However, I'm pretty sure if I go out looking for another striker I'll find a better one (albeit a lot more expensive.) What do you reckon?

Youth Team

What are his wages like in comparison to other players?

Semi Pro

What are his wages like in comparison to other players?
    My top earners are on £1,100 and £1,000 (Loy and Richards) so pretty low, I'd imagine i'd get him for about £500p/w. However, if I look around for another option, it could cost me three times that...

EDIT: I just had a quick look at a 23 year old striker called Jake Jervis, who is only marginally better than Reilly. He wanted £2,400 a week! Pretty sure if I wait til the end of the season I'll find a cheaper option, but it's just a risk. If I do that I'll almost certainly lose Reilly.
    Last edited by withnail316; 29-03-2012 at 14:52.

Youth Team

If he's low wage then you could just keep him as a backup, saying that theres not that many games in a season to need 6 strikers.

Semi Pro

If he's low wage then you could just keep him as a backup, saying that theres not that many games in a season to need 6 strikers.
    I tend to get a lot of injuries up front, and as I'm currently playing 4-3-3, it makes sense to have 6. Hmm. I can certainly see him getting a good dozen games even as 6th choice, so we shall see...

Semi Pro

Well, striker number 6 has just demanded a transfer..... I think that makes the decision for me. New deal for Reilly...

Semi Pro

April

WPL Haverfordwest 2-1 Neath
    Goals from Hopkinson and Lynch decided this one.

WPL Llanelli 1-5 Haverfordwest
    A great win at the home of our rivals and closest challengers, with goals from Lynch, Hopkinson, Mitchell and a Loy double...

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 TNS
    This was a belter of a game, and ultimately we had enough for another win. An early OG at each end got the game off to a flier, but it took a 67th minute goal from the returning Steven Richards and a Rory Loy special to seal the points.

Semi Pro

Saturday 2nd May 2015

Haverfordwest County AFC Vs Bangor City FC

Back to the Millennium Stadium then for our fourth League Cup final in five years, and eager to exorcise the ghosts of last year's defeat. Our opponents have never beaten us in my time at the club, although this is the first time we've met in a cup tie. The return of Richards is a huge boost, and so after his substitute appearance in the last game he'll go straight back into my attack, with Lynch making way. Other than a little tiredness we're pretty much full strength, but Bangor have had a decent campaign so I'm really hoping there's no repeat from last year.

First half

A wide open first half, with chances at both ends. Tim Hopkinson combined with Rory Loy for the first goal, playing a 1-2 on the edge of the box and drilling low in the bottom corner in the 13th minute. Just 10 minutes later though we failed to deal with a left wing cross, and Mark James smashed home a leveller. It was looking like that was the way things would stay, until Derrick Williams hopefully floated a cross from the left wing, and Tim Hopkinson climbed highest to nod in his second of the game, and his 100th for the club.

Half time: Haverfordwest 2-1 Bangor City

Second half

Another lively start to the half with great saves at both ends, but the fourth goal of the game came our way, with Ruiadhri Higgins drilling home on the volley from 25 yards. We then lost Alan Lynch to injury, who had only just come on, and a grandstand finale was in store when Tom Lawrence smashed home with 6 minutes to go. We just about hung on though, winning our third League Cup.

Full time

[

May

WPL Haverfordwest 4-0 Bangor City
    A dream of a way to finish the season, and Tim Hopkinson scored all 4 of them. In the process, this happened...

Last edited by withnail316; 29-03-2012 at 18:58.

Youth Team

You're making the Welsh League look easy!

Semi Pro

You're making the Welsh League look easy!
    Certainly racking a few trophies up! Hopefully I can start making some progress in Europe now...

Reserves

Very exciting.

Semi Pro

Very exciting.
    A good deal of sarcasm attached to that, eh ;o)

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2014/15

League

Cups

Welsh Cup: 3rd round
    League Cup: Winners

Top scorers

Rory Loy (45 apps/ 30 goals)
    Tim Hopkinson (45 apps/ 29 goals)
    Steven Richards (32 apps/ 21 goals)
    Alan Lynch (35 apps/ 17 goals)

Positives

Another good season all around, and two more shiny trophies for the cabinet. Qualifying for the Champions League again was brilliant, and although we are still waiting for our first point, there was a definite improvement as far as performances are concerned. In the league, we managed to win the title again with another record points tally, winning 27 out of our 32 games. That home record has continued, going five years now without defeat in a domestic game (although there were a couple of scares this time!). My options up front certainly count as a positive with 98 goals between the four of them!

Concerns

Being knocked out in the third round of the cup was disappointing, but other than that I've very few. Hopefully this year though I can attract couple of players who'll make a real difference to help us kick on in Europe.

Ambitions

Well, they depend on Europe. If I make the Champions League I'd like to earn our first point, but if it's the Europa League I'd like us to at least take third place again, if not higher. As for at home, then of course the title is the priority, but I'm aiming for a second treble.

League table

Player of the season

Rory Loy

Average attendance

509 in the league (an increase of 32)
    665 in total (increase of 30)
    Last edited by withnail316; 29-03-2012 at 23:20.

Semi Pro

I was dreading this getting cancelled again, but it goes ahead...

Reserves

Seems very costly for a Welsh club.

Semi Pro

Seems very costly for a Welsh club.
    It's been upgraded once before, so I wasn't surprised it was pricey. Still takes a huge chunk of the money in the bank though.

Semi Pro

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season preview 2015/16

So yet again the board want the title, and they've given me a great budget although right now I'm struggling to spend it! I'm extremely confident I can win it, especially after the way it was won last year. Yet again I'm on the hunt for two players who'll really lift us, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have to wait until the training facilities are upgraded for that extra reputation lift. We've lifted the league's reputation in recent years too, so hopefully when the bosmans are available I'll find a couple of gems. Anyway, here's that budget:

Leaving the club this year are midfielder Jarret Rivers, striker Liam Dickinson, goalkeeper Chris Oldfield and central defender Sean McGinty. All of whom were desperate to get away and were only squad players, so it's no big worry. However, once again I'm struggling to attract the kind of calibre of player I would need to really kick on, which is disappointing. I still have a couple of months to go before the window closes, but coming in so far have been:

20 yo ST Fraser Robinson (free from Portsmouth)
    18 yo CM Simon Basham (loan from Fulham)
    18 yo CB Steve Naylor (loan from Bristol City)

Once again I'm struggling with the 2 under 19 player rule which is ensuring a high turn over in my squad, but hopefully I can find a defender who can come in and really boost us. I do think Basham should be a decent signing, and I have an option on him for £100,000 too.

As for Europe, I'm pretty pleased with the draw. However, we do have 5 key players missing through injury and suspension, which is frustrating.

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

CL 2nd Qualifying round 1st leg
    Haverfordwest 5-0 Santa Coloma
    A very decent first leg performance, although it took us a while to get going. A debut goal from Robinson got us on the way, before Ashmore (2) an OG and Rory Loy sealed a thumping first leg win.

2nd Qualifying round 2nd leg
    Santa Coloma 0-6 Haverfordwest
    Well, that was easy! Goals from Hopkinson (2) Rooney (2) Loy and Robinson secured an 11-0 aggregate win.

Semi Pro

European qualifiers

CL 3rd Qualifying round 1st leg
    Haverfordwest 0-0 Grasshoppers
    Awful, awful first leg. Leaves us in trouble I think.

CL 3rd Qualifying round 2nd leg
    Grasshoppers 0-2 Haverfordwest
    A dream of an away performance, and a Richards double sees us through.

Have to feel pleased with that draw.... Having said that, a run in the Europa League would perhaps be better for us...

Youth Team

Playing Shamrock will be an interesting couple of matches! Just noticed you have Tim Hopkinson; I've used him before and he's amazing at any level.

Semi Pro

Playing Shamrock will be an interesting couple of matches! Just noticed you have Tim Hopkinson; I've used him before and he's amazing at any level.
    He's been a quality signing for me. He's now the club's record goal scorer in the league, and he's scored over 100 in all competitions. Unsurprisingly he's now an Icon at the club, too.

Reserves

Shamrock should be fairly easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast