Steam update not progressing

I have a thousand views on Steam which have all been aired here before so I'll not repeat them again, basically I just want to play my game but this godforsaken Steam update keeps appearing but doesn't progress at all. FM closed yesterday due to the update starting (without saving my data - thank God I saved the day before) and I haven't been able to get back on Steam since. Tried the classic 'delete ClientRegistry file' tactic but to no avail.

Help/explanation from SI please.

I've read that restarting your PC in safe mode might allow a stalled Steam update to complete, otherwise I'd say reinstall Steam (move your Steam Apps folder out and back again before and after so you don't have to d/l it all again)

From the Steam, Mac forum

Reinstalling is really not that big of an issue, just leave your games folder in place and delete anything else.

If you know where your Steam folder is (~/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Steam/) and if you already know how to access your Library folder in Lion, this should be a matter of a few minutes.

Ah, no it hasn't. Just tested starting it up again and it's stuck on the update again.

Edit, saves triple posting. Think I've temporarily fixed it by putting Steam in offline mode. No idea if/how I will get the patch though...

Whenever I download a new steam.dmg I can open Steam once (in online mode) after installation. After I close it the update problem happens again. I have put it in offline mode now so obviously the application doesn't attempt to update. It's only a temp fix though.

this should fix that

its a bug wen steam doesnt update the flag that says it run for the first time

Open following file in TEXTEDIT

/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/config.vdf (xxxx = your user name)

change "FirstRun" "1" into "FirstRun" "0

Save that config file (overwrites old)

• Administrators

Have you tried closing Steam and restarting your computer after making this change?

Yes, nothing. I've just tried to re-download the Steam.dmg, and when I try to open it I am now immediately greeted with 'Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your Internet connection and try again.'

This website shows a fix for that, but it simply isn't working.

• Administrators

Try deleting the client registry.blob in the same folder too, and failing that, a reinstall of Steam and FM:

Full uninstall:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7184737&viewfull=1#post7184737

• Administrators

Go to your FM saves folder and save them to a save location and put them back after the install.

Unistalled Steam using ApplCleaner and reinstalled, problem still persists and there is no longer a <user>/Library/Application Support/Steam path on my Mac so can't even attempt to fix the 'Steam is currently offline...' issue. I'm not prepared to uninstall FM in case my save is deleted, I don't see why it would be the problem anyway as Steam is looking for a generic update rather that the FM 12.2 one.

I thank everyone that has attempted to help me, but as a company, you at SI must understand that this is simply unacceptable and Steam needs to be dropped for next year.

Edit > Will attempt to back up my saves Lucas, let you know how I get on.

Can't uninstall FM because Steam folder won't even appear under Application Support. I'm at a loss as to what to do now, there doesn't appear to be any sign of Steam in my <user>/Library/Application Support/ path. The folder simply doesn't exist, a quick scan of Google suggets people have suffered the same problem but nobody has posted a solution.

• Administrators

Is Steam in your Applications folder? You'll need to run it to get the Applications Support folder to appear - are you sure you are viewing your USER -> Library?

• Administrators

Uninstalling it would have deleted the Applications Support folder.

Are you still unable to update?

Have you tried disabling the firewall to see if that sorts the issue? Just a thought though should be fine.

Deleted absolutely everything FM and Steam related, and the 'Steam is not connected etc...' message is no longer coming up but I'm back to square one in that the update just doesn't start. The Steam folder has reappeared under App. support but only has the registry.vdf in it.

• Administrators
This is wrong because Application Support is a generic Mac folder, not a Steam-specific one.

Deleted absolutely everything FM and Steam related, and the 'Steam is not connected etc...' message is no longer coming up but I'm back to square one in that the update just doesn't start. The Steam folder has reappeared under App. support but only has the registry.vdf in it.

Manually would have, at least, if you had cleared everything out. I had assumed you had manually removed it.

At this juncture, could you try creating a new user account, and installing it there?

There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

Manually would have, at least, if you had cleared everything out. I had assumed you had manually removed it.

At this juncture, could you try creating a new user account, and installing it there?

There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

Created a new user account, the problem is the same.

I have to say I'm extremely exasperated - putting it politely. Do you honestly think this is an acceptable way to treat loyal paying customers, making them jump through the hoops caused by some crappy third party hardware to use a product they paid £25 for? In any other business this would be totally unacceptable. I'm not the first and I'm certain I won't be the last to experience this problem, and as far as I can see I've exhausted all available avenues.

You can keep burying your heads in the sand, SI, or actually come out and admit that the Steam route is extremely flawed and directly talk to your customers and listen to their views about it. Like I said, I appreciate the attempts (though I must say Steam's lack of help and their customer service in general is so poor it should be illegal) at help but I'm no nearer to playing the game I paid £25 for and that is quite frankly a disgrace.

• Administrators

I hate to say it, but as far as we can tell you are the first person to have encountered this exact issue - have you tried attempting to repair your permissions as Lucas asked?

I hate to say it, but as far as we can tell you are the first person to have encountered this exact issue - have you tried attempting to repair your permissions as Lucas asked?

I don't know what you mean by repair my permissions?

• Administrators

In Spotlight - the search on your menu bar, type disk utility and open it.

Select your hard drive on the left hand side

On the First Aid tab, select Verify Disk.

When that is done, select Repair Disk.

Restart your Mac and try Steam again.

As Lucas said - "There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder."

Finally found out how to do this. Going to take about an hour apparently, will let you know how I get on.

Matt, I see you are browsing the thread. Can you just answer this question - do you think this is acceptable? I just want someone from SI/SEGA to acknowledge what a travesty this is, I mean there isn't even a solution on the Internet. I've literally been trying for four hours straight now.

Matt, I see you are browsing the thread. Can you just answer this question - do you think this is acceptable? I just want someone from SI/SEGA to acknowledge what a travesty this is, I mean there isn't even a solution on the Internet. I've literally been trying for four hours straight now.

As they said, seems you have a pretty unique problem, it might take some time. Considering you exhausted all options Steamwise, that may not even be the issue.

I wanted to see if I could help but unfortunately know nothing about Macs.

It's extremely unfortunate but technical problems do happen. All I can do is apologise and suggest your best recourse here might be to speak to SEGA Customer Services, provide them with this thread so they can see what you've attempted to do to fix, and see if they can work through any other possible solutions.

If you'd prefer to drop me a PM with contact details, I can have them reach out to you.

Once again - sorry for the inconvenience - I've not seen an issue like this flare up previously and it would appear to be a tough one to resolve.

Cheers

Matt

• Administrators

Aim_Less knows Steam better than we do, I'd suggest waiting until he's back online and see what he suggests. I can understand your frustration but yours as has been said is pretty much a one-off issue which hasn't been encountered by anyone else. It could well be related to an error on your system rather than related to Steam directly.

• Administrators

Try this:

1. Restart Steam
  2. If the issue persists, exit Steam, rename your ClientRegistry.blob, and restart Steam. The ClientRegistry.blob can be found in your Steam installation directory. ~/User/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam by default.
  3. If the issue still persists, you may have issues with your local Steam files. You may refresh these files without deleting your game files. Please follow this process to refresh your Steam files:
    • Exit Steam
    • Navigate to your Steam installation directory: ~/User/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam
    • Delete everything in that directory EXCEPT SteamApps
    • Restart Steam to test the issue

Archived