+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam update not progressing

Amateur

Default Steam update not progressing

I have a thousand views on Steam which have all been aired here before so I'll not repeat them again, basically I just want to play my game but this godforsaken Steam update keeps appearing but doesn't progress at all. FM closed yesterday due to the update starting (without saving my data - thank God I saved the day before) and I haven't been able to get back on Steam since. Tried the classic 'delete ClientRegistry file' tactic but to no avail.

Help/explanation from SI please.

Amateur

Bump. I'm pissed off and want answers, to be honest I couldn't give a **** if people steal the game if paying customers such as myself can't even access it. What a farce.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

I've read that restarting your PC in safe mode might allow a stalled Steam update to complete, otherwise I'd say reinstall Steam (move your Steam Apps folder out and back again before and after so you don't have to d/l it all again)

Amateur

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Mac, so the safe mode option is a no-go. Will try the reinstall...

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

From the Steam, Mac forum

Reinstalling is really not that big of an issue, just leave your games folder in place and delete anything else.
    If you know where your Steam folder is (~/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Steam/) and if you already know how to access your Library folder in Lion, this should be a matter of a few minutes.

Amateur

Nothing, still the same problem. Thanks, though.

If SI persist with forcing the use of Steam for FM13, they've lost a paying customer. I'm sure I'm not the first.

Semi Pro

Use search tool

Open the application "Console"

Open Steam

Look at the entries on your console log. It should say something along the lines of "sending request for [url]"

Copy those URLs from the console entries into your safari browser and download the files into a temporary folder.

Go to your applications. Right click on steam. Click show package contents. Open contents. Open macos. There should be a folder called "package". If it isnt there, create it. Copy the aforementioned files you downloaded into this package folder.

Now open steam. It should say "Extracting". You're good to go

Amateur

I've opened Console but I've no idea what I'm looking at. I've selected the 'All Messages' tab but can see nothing about 'sending request for [url]...'

Amateur

Yeah sorry mate, Steam has ruined the game well and truly - i get huge problems with Steam. I just leave it permanently in offline mode...

Amateur

Aim_Less I've PM'd you.

Semi Pro

do you have any security program running? firewall or anti virus

Amateur

Not that I'm aware of, just the built-in Mac Firewall.

Semi Pro

a saw your console log something is not right

try downloading this and extract to the steam folder with steam offline http://i72d.com/Steam.dmg

Amateur

I can't even get into Steam, as soon as I try to open it I get a dialogue box saying 'Updating Steam...Checking For Updates'. Nothing happens after that, even after two hours of waiting.

Semi Pro

try what i posted

Amateur

That appears to have done the job, much appreciated. Can you explain to me what the problem was?

Amateur

Ah, no it hasn't. Just tested starting it up again and it's stuck on the update again.

Edit, saves triple posting. Think I've temporarily fixed it by putting Steam in offline mode. No idea if/how I will get the patch though...
    Last edited by Robsy1990; 02-03-2012 at 23:29.

Semi Pro

SO steam opens ? there must be something your not explaining properly

Amateur

Whenever I download a new steam.dmg I can open Steam once (in online mode) after installation. After I close it the update problem happens again. I have put it in offline mode now so obviously the application doesn't attempt to update. It's only a temp fix though.

Semi Pro

this should fix that

its a bug wen steam doesnt update the flag that says it run for the first time

Open following file in TEXTEDIT
    /Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/config.vdf (xxxx = your user name)
    change "FirstRun" "1" into "FirstRun" "0
    Save that config file (overwrites old)

Amateur

Hi, obviously the patch is now out so I have tried to go back online. The problem persists, I've opened that file in TextEdit and changed it but nothing

Help?

Sports Interactive Lucas Weatherby's Avatar

Have you tried closing Steam and restarting your computer after making this change?

Amateur

Yes, nothing. I've just tried to re-download the Steam.dmg, and when I try to open it I am now immediately greeted with 'Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your Internet connection and try again.'

This website shows a fix for that, but it simply isn't working.

Try deleting the client registry.blob in the same folder too, and failing that, a reinstall of Steam and FM:

Full uninstall:

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...=1#post7184737

Amateur

Thanks, though if I reinstall FM won't that delete all my saves?

Go to your FM saves folder and save them to a save location and put them back after the install.

Amateur

Unistalled Steam using ApplCleaner and reinstalled, problem still persists and there is no longer a <user>/Library/Application Support/Steam path on my Mac so can't even attempt to fix the 'Steam is currently offline...' issue. I'm not prepared to uninstall FM in case my save is deleted, I don't see why it would be the problem anyway as Steam is looking for a generic update rather that the FM 12.2 one.

I thank everyone that has attempted to help me, but as a company, you at SI must understand that this is simply unacceptable and Steam needs to be dropped for next year.

Edit > Will attempt to back up my saves Lucas, let you know how I get on.
    Last edited by Robsy1990; 07-03-2012 at 22:58.

Amateur

Can't uninstall FM because Steam folder won't even appear under Application Support. I'm at a loss as to what to do now, there doesn't appear to be any sign of Steam in my <user>/Library/Application Support/ path. The folder simply doesn't exist, a quick scan of Google suggets people have suffered the same problem but nobody has posted a solution.
    Last edited by Robsy1990; 07-03-2012 at 23:15.

Is Steam in your Applications folder? You'll need to run it to get the Applications Support folder to appear - are you sure you are viewing your USER -> Library?

Amateur

Yes, it is definitely in the Applications folder. The Steam folder simply isn't appearing underneath Application Suport, even though it was before I reinstalled it.

Uninstalling it would have deleted the Applications Support folder.

Are you still unable to update?

Have you tried disabling the firewall to see if that sorts the issue? Just a thought though should be fine.

Amateur

Deleted absolutely everything FM and Steam related, and the 'Steam is not connected etc...' message is no longer coming up but I'm back to square one in that the update just doesn't start. The Steam folder has reappeared under App. support but only has the registry.vdf in it.
    Last edited by Robsy1990; 07-03-2012 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsy1990 View Post
    This is wrong because Application Support is a generic Mac folder, not a Steam-specific one.

Deleted absolutely everything FM and Steam related, and the 'Steam is not connected etc...' message is no longer coming up but I'm back to square one in that the update just doesn't start. The Steam folder has reappeared under App. support but only has the registry.vdf in it.
    Manually would have, at least, if you had cleared everything out. I had assumed you had manually removed it.

At this juncture, could you try creating a new user account, and installing it there?

There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

Amateur

How do I go about repairing it? I just went to the disk utility and verified Steam and it all appeared to be alright.

Amateur

Also I've just realised that whenever I open a Steam.dmg it is mounting the Mac as a foreign device. Is this normal with Mac installations?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Weatherby View Post
    Manually would have, at least, if you had cleared everything out. I had assumed you had manually removed it.

At this juncture, could you try creating a new user account, and installing it there?

There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
    Created a new user account, the problem is the same.

I have to say I'm extremely exasperated - putting it politely. Do you honestly think this is an acceptable way to treat loyal paying customers, making them jump through the hoops caused by some crappy third party hardware to use a product they paid £25 for? In any other business this would be totally unacceptable. I'm not the first and I'm certain I won't be the last to experience this problem, and as far as I can see I've exhausted all available avenues.

You can keep burying your heads in the sand, SI, or actually come out and admit that the Steam route is extremely flawed and directly talk to your customers and listen to their views about it. Like I said, I appreciate the attempts (though I must say Steam's lack of help and their customer service in general is so poor it should be illegal) at help but I'm no nearer to playing the game I paid £25 for and that is quite frankly a disgrace.

I hate to say it, but as far as we can tell you are the first person to have encountered this exact issue - have you tried attempting to repair your permissions as Lucas asked?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    I hate to say it, but as far as we can tell you are the first person to have encountered this exact issue - have you tried attempting to repair your permissions as Lucas asked?
    I don't know what you mean by repair my permissions?

As Lucas said - "There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder."

In Spotlight - the search on your menu bar, type disk utility and open it.

Select your hard drive on the left hand side

On the First Aid tab, select Verify Disk.

When that is done, select Repair Disk.

Restart your Mac and try Steam again.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    As Lucas said - "There might be an issue with your Permissions, which you can repair using Disk Utility in your Utilities folder."
    Finally found out how to do this. Going to take about an hour apparently, will let you know how I get on.

Amateur

Problem still persisting. Back to the old 'Steam is not connected...' error message.

Amateur

Any other suggestions?

Amateur

Matt, I see you are browsing the thread. Can you just answer this question - do you think this is acceptable? I just want someone from SI/SEGA to acknowledge what a travesty this is, I mean there isn't even a solution on the Internet. I've literally been trying for four hours straight now.

Matt, I see you are browsing the thread. Can you just answer this question - do you think this is acceptable? I just want someone from SI/SEGA to acknowledge what a travesty this is, I mean there isn't even a solution on the Internet. I've literally been trying for four hours straight now.
    As they said, seems you have a pretty unique problem, it might take some time. Considering you exhausted all options Steamwise, that may not even be the issue.

Semi Pro

I wanted to see if I could help but unfortunately know nothing about Macs.

It's extremely unfortunate but technical problems do happen. All I can do is apologise and suggest your best recourse here might be to speak to SEGA Customer Services, provide them with this thread so they can see what you've attempted to do to fix, and see if they can work through any other possible solutions.

If you'd prefer to drop me a PM with contact details, I can have them reach out to you.

Once again - sorry for the inconvenience - I've not seen an issue like this flare up previously and it would appear to be a tough one to resolve.

Cheers

Matt

Aim_Less knows Steam better than we do, I'd suggest waiting until he's back online and see what he suggests. I can understand your frustration but yours as has been said is pretty much a one-off issue which hasn't been encountered by anyone else. It could well be related to an error on your system rather than related to Steam directly.

Amateur

Basically now, whenever I try and launch Steam I get a dialogue box that says 'Updating Steam...Checking For Updates', and then hangs. I'm pretty sure that error has been encountered before?

Try this:

1. Restart Steam
    2. If the issue persists, exit Steam, rename your ClientRegistry.blob, and restart Steam. The ClientRegistry.blob can be found in your Steam installation directory. ~/User/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam by default.
    3. If the issue still persists, you may have issues with your local Steam files. You may refresh these files without deleting your game files. Please follow this process to refresh your Steam files:
      • Exit Steam
      • Navigate to your Steam installation directory: ~/User/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam
      • Delete everything in that directory EXCEPT SteamApps
      • Restart Steam to test the issue

Semi Pro

Try what neil mentioned , and are you using wireless? ,are you connecting via a router?

Amateur

Somehow, I think I may have just fixed it:

Aim_Less, the link you posted in post #13 is different to the standard .dmg on the official Steam site. I downloaded that, extracted it to the Steam folder in Application support (which previously only had a registry.vdf file in it), then moved the actual Steam client out of the extracted folder and into the Steam folder. Suddenly the ClientRegistry, SteamApps etc were all created and I accessed Steam straight away, bypassing any attempt to 'update'. Currently re-downloading FM and the patch is yet to come, so not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed.

And yes I'm using wireless, connected via a BT HomeHub 2.0.

Amateur

OI, WHAT THE ****ING HELL?!?!?! I AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL THE UPDATE, IT DECIDES TO REMOVE HALF THE **** IN THE GAME FOLDER AND NOW TELLS ME THE "GAME IS UNAVAILABLE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"

GET RID OF STEAM, NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS PRIOR TO IT AND I GUARANTEE YOU THESE PROBLEMS WON'T OCCUR WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!

Only thing i haven't done is uninstall, not that i'm interested in doing that but i'm about ot anyway. If this problem persists post reinstall, then my next post won't be nearly as nice.

In the mean time, if someone could please look into this and find a possible solution incase the reinstall doesn't work, that would be most appreciated.

Somehow, I think I may have just fixed it:

Aim_Less, the link you posted in post #13 is different to the standard .dmg on the official Steam site. I downloaded that, extracted it to the Steam folder in Application support (which previously only had a registry.vdf file in it), then moved the actual Steam client out of the extracted folder and into the Steam folder. Suddenly the ClientRegistry, SteamApps etc were all created and I accessed Steam straight away, bypassing any attempt to 'update'. Currently re-downloading FM and the patch is yet to come, so not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed.

And yes I'm using wireless, connected via a BT HomeHub 2.0.
    Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy_NT View Post
    OI, WHAT THE ****ING HELL?!?!?! I AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL THE UPDATE, IT DECIDES TO REMOVE HALF THE **** IN THE GAME FOLDER AND NOW TELLS ME THE "GAME IS UNAVAILABLE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"

GET RID OF STEAM, NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS PRIOR TO IT AND I GUARANTEE YOU THESE PROBLEMS WON'T OCCUR WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!

Only thing i haven't done is uninstall, not that i'm interested in doing that but i'm about ot anyway. If this problem persists post reinstall, then my next post won't be nearly as nice.

In the mean time, if someone could please look into this and find a possible solution incase the reinstall doesn't work, that would be most appreciated.
    Please post your own issue here so we can assist you - http://community.sigames.com/forumdi...es-and-Crashes

Amateur

New patch, and it's happened again. Can't even fix it with the workaround this time.

Good game guys, but more hassle than it's worth. Not buying it next year if Steam is compulsory.

Amateur

I'm encountering the same problems. I haven't played FM for a few months due to uni work, I started it up today and all day I've had the same "updating steam, checking for available updates" message, which Robsy1990 has encountered. I've uninstalled and deleted everything from steam, re downloaded it, though i still get the same problem. No progression on the update for steam, when all that initially ws meant to happen was the new patch to be installed. I can't even get onto steam period now, has anyone found a solution to this

Lurker

I am also encountering the same problems. Tried everything that you have suggested but nothing it work. Steams customer support is quite frankly atrocious, and if you are going to keep using Steam as compulsory then I definitely will not be buying your product again. There are many of these thread around and nothing seems to have worked.

Amateur

SolentRed, are you on a Mac or a PC? If you're on a Mac I can help you, if it's a PC then I'm afraid I have no idea.

Moderator and Technical Support

[QUOTE=SolentRed;7987513]I am also encountering the same problems. Tried everything that you have suggested but nothing it work. Steams customer support is quite frankly atrocious, and if you are going to keep using Steam as compulsory then I definitely will not be buying your product again. There are many of these thread around and nothing seems to have worked.[/QUOTE

Open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum and give as many details of the problem as you can, including what you have tried so far.

Amateur

Once again this issue strikes. I can't leave it in online mode because otherwise the client starts to update but hangs again (as described in post #1), but if I try and put it in offline mode the Steam client crashes and won't restart, forcing another install. Put simply, I can play the game, but I have to reinstall Steam every time I want to play it - a process that can take around 40 minutes.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been addressed, nobody from SI has found a solution and Steam Support are just totally disinterested in fixing this.

Amateur

Bump. I can't play my game, this needs fixing.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by essien_5 View Post
    Yeah sorry mate, Steam has ruined the game well and truly - i get huge problems with Steam. I just leave it permanently in offline mode...
    Sorry to distract from the main discussion - I'm new here and dumb - , but does leaving Steam in offline mode (which I've done) effectively shut it off and make me immune to any problems? This thread is my worst gaming nightmare - I'd lose my sh*t if it happened to me. I'll gladly do without patches and updates if it means I can avoid ever having to create a thread like this.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by PG41 View Post
    Sorry to distract from the main discussion - I'm new here and dumb - , but does leaving Steam in offline mode (which I've done) effectively shut it off and make me immune to any problems? This thread is my worst gaming nightmare - I'd lose my sh*t if it happened to me. I'll gladly do without patches and updates if it means I can avoid ever having to create a thread like this.
    Basically, yes. From what I can gather this problem just occurs randomly and is nigh on impossible to fix, so you're better off just never going online.

Reserves

probably been mentioned..

but ... this post is very helpful... particularly #13 i find

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1267956

also...

Right-click on the steam icon "show package contents/Macos/osx32 and click "steam" .. it updated.... it worked..
    Last edited by Welshace; 25-08-2012 at 07:58.

Amateur

Nothing on there did the trick, thanks for suggesting though.

Will continue to bump this thread until someone from SI gives me some help on the issue, I'm sick and tired of having to reinstall Steam and FM12 every single goddamn day I want to play it.

Moderator and Technical Support

Nothing on there did the trick, thanks for suggesting though.

Will continue to bump this thread until someone from SI gives me some help on the issue, I'm sick and tired of having to reinstall Steam and FM12 every single goddamn day I want to play it.
    I would suggest that you open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum with as much detail as you can and the SI staff will see it there.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    I would suggest that you open a new thread in the Technical and Crashes sub forum of the main FM 12 Bugs forum with as much detail as you can and the SI staff will see it there.
    Thanks, created one here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...24#post8074324

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Lurker

I've been having the same problem and nothing worked for me.

Although, I did find one 'workaround' that may or may not work for you. I first deleted everything except for SteamApps in the Application Support folder, then I went offline before going on Steam. A box then pops up telling me to either restart or start in Offline mode. I chose to restart, and after logging in again I go through the process of verifying my computer. After that everything was ok. The only downside was I had to do this everytime I switched off my computer. Beats not having to play your games though. Hopefully it works!

Amateur

I've now got FM13 and yet again, the whole steam 'checking for available updates problem has occured again.' And now I can't even install the game.

I understand SI that this is a steam problem, however the fact you have made it complusory to have steam to play the game has ruined it for many fans of the series. You may say that these are rare and isolated issues but there are tons of that are having this problem which you can see from a quick google search. Ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread