I have been playing the game on my iPad for a couple of months now and I can’t seem to win games away from home. As I usually do on the PC version, I started a game with a massive team (Barcelona in this case) to get a feel for the game. Only played 6 months of the season and probably won only about 2 or 3 away games. I lost most of them, and quite a few by a big margin as well against some very poor teams.

I then started a save with my team, PSG, and the same happened. I played 2 seasons and must not have won more than 10 away games in these two seasons.

After experimenting with a few teams to see if my away record would improve (it didn’t), I am now playing with Colchester and the same is happening, I just can’t win away.

The thing is, my home record is always very good, which is lucky as it has meant I’ve been able to keep my jobs and not get sacked but I haven’t won any trophies (not even with PSG!!). My tactics and team instructions aren’t outrageous, just slightly more defensive than they would be at home. I’ve even tried keeping the same tactic and instructions as for home games, being extremely defensive or even gung ho, changed the system to something more defensive like a 4-4-2 Defensive or 4-5-1 but no changes matter, I just cannot win away. As anyone had the same problems or any ideas on what I could do to improve this rotten away form?

So I don't know if my experience applies, but I found that finding the tactic (formation + approach) to disrupt the opposition seemed more critical than just about anything. More important than players suiting position or assigning players the right roles

It depends on who I am playing. Right now, I am Everton and am modifying my formation a good bit. I am generally playing a 5-3-2 with an AM if I am at home or against weak opposition away. When I play strong opposition away or want to hang on to a small lead, I go to 5-3-2 with a DM.

When I played Tottenham last, I was using a 4-4-2 Attacking and sometimes a 4-4-1 away or in defensive positions. And I will very rarely go into a 4-1-4-1 set-up if I am REALLY cautious.

I always use the same formation both home and away

Does anyone else modify a favourite formation when either playing away or just when they are playing against "tough" opposition ?

I've never had any problems winning away and I never change my formation for away games or against top opposition. The most I will do is change my tactics from balanced to attacking or defending depending on the situation.

And I've won six league titles and four cup wins. If anything, I find it too easy.

If I take the example of PSG, as I played the most games with that team, I played a 4-2-3-1 home and away when I first started, but slightly changing my tactics for away games (counter, committed tackles, a more direct passing game) but that didn't work.

I then tried 4-5-1 with almost the same instructions as a home game, although less adventurous than at home. I then tried a very defensive formation / counter attack / direct passing etc.. and that didn't work either. Finally, I tried the same formation and tactics home and away, without making any changes at all, but that also didn't work. Bizzarrely, in Europe I was very good away but not as good as home. I didn't change my tactics between league games and continental games.

The same is happening with Colchester at the moment. My home record is outstanding but my away record is abysmal. I really don't understand how I can be so good at home and so bad away.

What are your players stats like when playing away? Do you change your tactics (not formation) in game?

I play a 4-4-2 diamond. My midfield consists of a DLM, two Wingers and a APM. My tactics are always Balaced, Short, Committed and Pressing. If I'm losing but playing well, I hold off from tweaking my tactics until time is against me. If I'm losing and playing badly, I will switch to Attacking and look at which players are underperforming with the view of replacing them (basically anyone with a score of 5 and below). If I'm still losing and time is running out, I will change passing to direct or long ball and change a striker to TM. If I am getting very little posession in the game and am losing, I will change passing to mixed and pressing to counter attack.

However, I never change my formation. It might be something I do in future if the next update allows you to move your player positions in the tactics screen.

What I've found echoes the reply by Metatone but with some provisos. If your squad is palpably better than the opposition then you should be able to dominate them. Also, in this year's version I've found more people in the middle of the park - DM, CM, AM is better than stringing a line out as a 4-4-2. However, if your team is only a little better-a little worse than the opposition then you need to counter their formation. I found this was more prevalent last year where you were, away from home especially, perpetually matching the opposition tactics with ones of your own. I suggest you try 4-1-3-2, with pressing, offside, balanced passing. Of the middle three, the centre one can be set to ball-winner, the two outside ones to box-to-box. That gives a really solid spine down the middle. You need players who can tackle obviously and then pass it on. When it doesn't work you need to be more creative, but I'd recommend giving it a try.

Well with PSG my team was arguably better than everyone else in France. I played 4-2-3-1. I had the choice between players such as M'Vila, Matuidi, Martin, Pastore, Ganso, Menez and Nene in the middle. All of them at least 6 stars. My defense was solid and my strikers were good (not great but good for Ligue 1). I didn't change my formation at first but when I realised I wasn't winning, I went for a more defensive formation such as 4-5-1 but that didn't work either.

My home instructions were balanced, short passing, normal and pressing. I tweaked it slightly away to mixed passing and committed tackling. When I was away against bigger clubs in France and Europe, I sometimes went counter attacking and defensive.

gargatouf - I've found:

a) Have to be very careful with committed tackling - the free kicks that result are often enough to tip a game against you.

b) Dominating the middle of the park is a big part of the game algorithm - 4-2-3-1 might not be optimal for that.

c) Starting out balanced and then shifting to Attacking seems to help. I've rarely had good results with Defensive, except when playing 532...

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest you try 4-1-3-2, with pressing, offside, balanced passing. Of the middle three, the centre one can be set to ball-winner, the two outside ones to box-to-box. That gives a really solid spine down the middle. You need players who can tackle obviously and then pass it on. When it doesn't work you need to be more creative, but I'd recommend giving it a try.

So a BWM in front of a BWM?

Archived