Football Manager 2013

Too early to start one of these threads? xD

For my money, there's nothing major that I'd like to see changed for the next version of FM, but there are a few existing features I'd like to see tweaked...

The Youth System - I love the new way it's being handled, and I'd very much like to see it expanded upon so that instead of just getting a dozen or so 16-17yo trialists each season there's a full set of U17, U15, U13, etc. teams so that you can watch the youngsters progress through the ranks until they get to a stage where you'd consider offering them a professional contract. I'd also like to see the backroom staff expanded for youth teams so that there's youth development managers and the like, as in real clubs, rather than just "Youth Coach", which is very much just a junior coaching position in FM. When you look at the phenomenal youth systems of clubs like Ajax in real life, they're severely under-represented in the game. I'd also like the player to be able to speak to the board about looking at specific countries for youth players, or even to have youth academies, independently of affiliated clubs, so that you're not just having to rely on affiliates to get youth players from other nations coming through the ranks. You could maybe have scouts divided between Senior and Youth, with Youth Scouts touring schools and youth teams in regions and recommending players for the various levels of the club's youth system.

The Match Engine - Really like the new Director Camera view, and it's pretty much all I use now. Find the offside replays with the lines very helpful, but also inconsistent - sometimes you get the lines, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you don't even get replays of offside decisions. Would be nice to always get replays (if you have replays set to at least Goal Action, that is) and always get the offside lines so that you can see conclusively whether or not it was offside. After all, it's a resource that real managers have easy access to via SkySports and the like :) Would also like for there to be a better way of seeing the legitimacy of red cards and penalty shouts - we get asked about them by the media and offered to see the replay but, unlike the offside replays, we can't really get a clear view of whether or not it was a foul/red/penalty. Alternatively, it would be nice if our Assistants were a bit more helpful on the matter, rather than always being unsure on account of not really seeing the event.

Player Interaction - Great feature in principle but by god do the players' reactions need balancing out a bit more! I also feel there's quite a few obvious dialogue options that are missing. Such as when players ask for a new contract, there needs to be an option to say "I gave you a new contract 7 months ago! You need to wait a bit before you can be demanding another new contract!" (or something along those lines). When players complain about your team-talk, there's no option to say that you feel they deserved the kick up the backside you have them, you have to either back down or deny there's a problem. When players have concerns about a new signing playing in the same position, the only only "pacify" option is to say that they're still "first choice", which is ridiculous when it's a Back-up or Squad players; perhaps another option that's "Don't worry, they aren't pushing you down the pecking order" and "Don't worry, I plan to use them in a different position to you".

Squad Discipline - Unless I'm missing something, there's not really any option to berate your players for picking up too many yellow cards. If they get sent off then you get the option to warn/fine them, and if you pick up a lot of bookings then there's often a post-match interview question where you can reply that you're going to talk to the lads about it, but there's no actual option to do so. Maybe it could be a team talk subject, or a private chat option - "Come on lads, we need to calm down with the challenges. I know you're passionate for the game but we're picking up too many bookings and you need to reign it in a little bit" / "I've got concerns about your match discipline - you've been picking up a few cautions in recent matches and it's not helping the team."

Scouting - Maybe it's just me but there really doesn't seem to be much difference in the accuracy of scout reports between scouts of different abilities. When they're scouting a competition or nation, good scouts find more players and present more info on them, but the accuracy of the reports seems to be much the same whether it's Luciano D'Onofrio or Ruel Fox doing the scouting. Sure, Luciano might tell me more, like the expected wage demands and so on, but they both come back with exactly the same star ratings, and if they estimate the purchase price then they both estimate it to be exactly the same. So, really, the only difference between a bad scout and a good scout seems to be the quantity of reports and info, not the quality and reliability of them.

Board Interaction - Nothing major really with this, but I dislike the somewhat arbitrary "3 topics per day" and the "1 topic per category" discussion limits. If you want to ask your board to increase all the staffing limits, it makes little sense that you'd ask them about the Scouts on Monday, Coaches on Tuesday, and Physios on Wednesday; surely more sensible to ask about them all in the same meeting? Likewise with training/youth facilities, feeder/parent clubs, etc. When the board agree to build a new stadium, I'd also like to see both a bit more variety in the naming, and the player allowed to have at least some input in it (like with affiliate clubs - board draws up a shortlist and player picks the one they like most). Certainly there are plenty of clubs in continental Europe that name their stadiums after club legends, but it's a lot rarer in England and stadiums seem to almost always named after their location (excluding naming rights for sponsorships) so for, e.g., Tottenham to decide to call their proposed new stadium "Perryman Stadium" feels a little odd and unlikely.

Player Searches - Currently, the search automatically refreshes every time you make a change; please, please, please can this feature be disabled or made optional xD When you're looking at a list of tens of thousands of players, or you're sorting them by scout ratings, it can take an annoyingly long time to refresh. Okay, so it's only 30 seconds or so but when it's 30 seconds every single damn time you change a value or add a parameter it gets quite irksome.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT1:

Squad Rotation - For me, there's just not enough of it. I regularly use my Assistant to select my squad for routine matches, but even if I have one with a high Squad Rotation rating he only ever changes players if they're tired or otherwise unavailable and the difference with someone who has a low Squad Rotation rating seems negligible.

Fire Sales - They just don't seem to happen in FM. Normally, if a big club gets relegated or a club goes into administration you see a lot of players leave, usually at knock-down prices. In FM, you get maybe one or two leaving, and definitely not on the cheap. I've seen big-name players sticking by their club despite being in the Championship when they're being chased by clubs who are playing European football. Similarly, clubs can enter severe, crippling financial difficulty (particularly if you use FMRTE to utterly **** them over because you hate seeing clubs buy titles *cough*Man City*cough* :D), enter administration, default on salaries, get the 9 point deduction and be in the relegation zone by January but all they do is maybe release one particularly expensive player from his contract, and sell a couple of first-teamers and a handful of reserves players.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT2:

Unhappy Players - Kind of tying in with the above, player unhappiness just doesn't seem to have the impact it should, and it's far too easy to hold onto your best players, no matter where you are. Ajax are a classic example - in real life, they're very unlikely to keep any of their top talent past the age of 23/24 before the top clubs in bigger leagues come knocking and lure them away with the promise of money and medals; in Football Manager, if you're not completely dominating Holland with Ajax and winning all the domestic trophies every year by your third season then you're doing something seriously wrong. Likewise if you're a lower league club and you manage to develop some promising youth talent, then so long as you have the sense to tie them into a long contract early on you should have no problem holding onto them until such a time as you're a big enough club yourself. I'm not saying I want to lose my best players to bigger clubs in FM, I'm just saying it should maybe be a little more difficult to keep them. Even when my relationship with a player completely breaks down and they feel alienated, hate me personally, and flat-out refuse to talk to me, it never seems to take more than a month or so to get back into their good books again, and I've never noticed unhappy players to have too severe a drop in their performance.

EDIT3:

Chairman Types - Need more than just the handful of stats they currently have. What about "Focus on Youth" or "Focus on Infrastructure" for chairmen who prefer to see their money being spent on things other than the first team.

Other people's ideas that I like (and my input on them)...

New Kits - The option to approach the board to request a new home/away/third kit, either colour or style or both; if the board agree, they then come back to you with a selection of proposed new designs and you select your favourite, as with affiliate clubs. (macco88)

International Management - Much in need of a heft overhaul to make it a more immersive experience that reflects the scale and scope of the job. Currently feels like club management but with less options and less control. (VonBlade)

Press Conferences - Need a lot of work in terms of more variety, more specific comments and options, to actually be able to reply to other managers' comments rather than just have to select generic options, to have less stupid questions that aren't relevant, etc, etc. Also have the option to not attend post-match conferences, with possible ramifications from the media and an unhappy board. (VonBlade, Jay96, Mike7077, Niebiescy, KingLara)

Insta-Result - Because sometimes you don't want to have to sit through the mundane matches and just want to fast-forward to half-/full-time, maybe pausing only for injuries and red cards. (VonBlade)

Player Interaction - Back-up and squad players complaining about not getting enough first-team games... need an option of "I signed you as a back-up for the first team and that's the way it's staying". Players are also far too quick to request transfers rather than fight for their place in the squad. (VonBlade)

Board Expectations - Currently their expectations are just on the first team competitions; expand this to include expectations for the youth side, expectations for club stature, expectations over finances. Also have more of a focus on other areas, as appropriate - for instance, your board might realise their club isn't going to do anything exciting in the league so they just expect you to stay up and to improve the club's financial standing, or focus on getting young players through the ranks. (5uare2)

Past Experience - Option to include previous backroom staff experience, rather than just being a player who's going straight into management without any coaching experience. (5uare2)

Match Shouts/Teamtalks - More variety to deal with specific issues, such as running down the clock, not shooting from range, not rushing shots, etc. (5uare2, Bobble2002

PPMs - More variety, with PPMs being skills that can't be replicated through player instructions; such as - tracking back, shields ball, drops into defense. (5uare2)

Affiliate Clubs - Need greater interaction and feedback, with feeder clubs maybe suggesting specific players (or specific roles) that they'd like to be loaned out to them. (Coentrao)

Subscriptions - To include a monthly round-up of the competition/player you're watching, rather than just titbits of news every time something happens. Keeps the inbox tidier and means you're less likely to skim past the news without looking at it. Much greater detail for international competitions, akin to the endless stats presentations we get IRL for the World Cup, etc. (MeesterCat)

Approaches for Staff - Greater loyalty would be nice. Currently, they accept very nearly 100% of approaches made, even if they've been at their current club for their entire career. Also, whenever an approach is made for a player's staff, they should have to click to acknowledge the approach has been made, with a button option to offer the coach a new contract to prevent them leaving. (VonBlade)

Player Injuries - More in-match feedback from physios on the nature and severity of the injury. (redcoat)

Ability Pools - Rather than one CA/PA pool for everything, a pool for each category (physical, mental, technical) to greater reflect that players generally have a bias towards one or the other; no amount of training should be able to turn Aaron Lennon into a targetman, and Andy Carroll will never be a tricky winger, while other players make up for a general lack of sporting prowess by sheer determination and mental resolve. (Zaaachhh)

Transfer Bids - AI managers seem reluctant to make fair offers on human managers' players, but will happily spend over the odds on the players of other AI teams. (starburst91, Chochip)

User Interface - Less sub-menus, more shortcut buttons and more consistent layout of menus. Current layout can sometimes be a bit of a maze to navigate. (Eugene Tyson)

EDIT4:

More ideas of others that I like...

Greater Agent Interaction - Options to speak to the agents outside of official negotiations; options to speak to a player about their agent inc. maybe suggesting they find themselves a new agent! (Starby)

Greater Job Offer Negotiation - Include extra demands such as improving stadium/facilities as well as wage demands; for the board, sometimes offer stadium/facility improvements as conditional upon club achieving certain position in league or round in cup, etc. (Starby)

Board Long-Term Expectations - Instead of just what they want this season, board should have expectations over next few years, such as lower league clubs expecting eventual top-flight action, or top-flight clubs expecting to be title-challengers w/in five years. Tied to this, clubs with faith in their manager might be prepared to offer dangerous, potentially ruinously large wage and transfer budgets based on long-term expectations (as many ambitious/desperate club boards do) - currently boards are too often very short-sighted. (JPChenet)

Staff Following a Manager - Currently staff will quit the club when a favourite manager leaves to make themselves available; better than this would be having the option to take certain staff with you to your new club, either through the Job Offer - "I'll only accept the offer if my Assistant comes with me", or through Staff Interaction - "I'm going to this club, do you want to join me?". Otherwise, staff stay at club instead of resigning en masse and going nowhere; this would also stop staff pointlessly resigning when a popular manager retires. (kris0710, Eugene Tyson)

Remove All Backroom Staff - As an option when at a new club, instead of having to sack them one by one; also have "Sack All Physios", "Sack All Scouts", "Sack All Coaches" in case you don't want to get rid of absolutely everyone, just everyone in a particular area. (Eugene Tyson)

More Detailed Player (Manager) History - Players to be able to select more than one favourite club when adding a new manager, and have more control over their amount of international experience (e.g. international legend, international first-teamer, international squad player, international fringe player, international one-cap-wonder) and professional experience (e.g. which tier they played in, and which country); this would all then effect starting reputation and country knowledge. Also be able to select a few favourite/disliked players and staff. (rimm!)

More Pressurised Transfer Window - Very few deadline day deals and most business is comfortably wrapped up in first couple of weeks of window. (ncfc4lyf1)

More Realistic Administration/Bankruptcy - Going into administration fairly minor issue for clubs in FM, asides from point deduction it's usually just a case of waiting a few weeks for a buyer and then it's business as normal with 75% of the debts wiped clean; extreme financial troubles to result in clubs forced to undergo fire-sales, wage slashing, and redundancies, with those who still can't recover being automatically relegated or even kicked out of the league due to failure to be able to fulfil fixtures - see Rangers, Fiorentina, Darlington, Boston Utd, Leeds Utd, Portsmouth, etc. (macdab55)

I'm aware that a few of the above points have quite probably been covered in other threads, and some will even have been reported as being things that are being worked on by the devs, but wanted to put all my thoughts on the matter forward :)

Would love to hear everyone else's ideas, too!

Also, I'm going to be editing this post as and when other thoughts occur to me, and I'll be adding other people's ideas that I like, so do be sure to re-read it every now and then :)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most important thing that needs improving is AI squad management. At the moment long term games become dull as once you have won the CL a couple of times you are made. The AI doesn't improve their squads enough to compete and with the income generated by winning the CL you can buy who you want. Been the same for as long as I can remember now. AI just keeps players way past their prime as they have a high PA and let better youngsters go very cheaply.

The most important thing that needs improving is AI squad management. At the moment long term games become dull as once you have won the CL a couple of times you are made. The AI doesn't improve their squads enough to compete and with the income generated by winning the CL you can buy who you want. Been the same for as long as I can remember now. AI just keeps players way past their prime as they have a high PA and let better youngsters go very cheaply.

100 % this.

It was asked for in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Now again in FM2012. I know its probably one of the hardest things for SI to get right, but its way over-due a serious overhaul imho.

I agree ShyBald this is the most important for me, I can't play past 10 years or so because my teams become too dominant.

As for your youth system idea I think it would be great to have this in game. I know we wouldn't be able to have real players under 16 because of legal reasons but surely this can be done in some way. To have academy's like the Ajax one and Barcas La Masia academy would be great.

Would people be happy with having a load of regens as soon as the game starts though? Wouldn't bother me but there would be quite a few people who wouldn't.

Fair point. Could always make it optional, like the "Add players to manageable clubs" setting. If you want a fully-stocked youth academy with regens right from the start, you tick it; if you prefer to have it empty at first and build it up through the game, then you can untick it.

That so many key features (real players, 1st window budgets, fog of war, 3D matches, etc.) are optional in FM is one of my favourite things about the series, and I think there's a few divisive features in the game that some folks would appreciate being optional.

Not a necasery feature but I would like to have the option for you or even the board to change your strip every few years. In a long term save it can become rather annoying looking at the same strip year after year. Plus in terms of revenue in real life it is a major thing every year or 2

Not a necasery feature but I would like to have the option for you or even the board to change your strip every few years. In a long term save it can become rather annoying looking at the same strip year after year. Plus in terms of revenue in real life it is a major thing every year or 2

Definitely this. Would love to see changes to the kits. Could be a new value for clubs "Likeliness to change kit" on a yearly basis, and then values each for how likely they are to change a) the colour, or b) the pattern, and have those values for each set. So most clubs would have a very low value for the colour of their first kit but a higher value for the colour and style of their 2nd and 3rd kits, and then there'd be clubs like Ajax who could have -1 for the 1st kit values, on account of not having changed it drastically in... er... ever? Also factor in the club's finances and affluence of its supporters - Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and the like change their away kit every year, pretty much without fail, while clubs lower down the league generally only change the kit if the sponsor changes.

The first kit should be, of course, canon. Unchangeable. But we should at least have a bunch of options for the Away kit, even if we can't pick our own colours. Spurs are in purple this year, but we've had light blue and yellow in recent years. Not exactly minor changes in colour.

There needs to be a way to stop the AI automatically finding every great newgen in the universe. It's not as brutal as it used to be, but they still are unerring in their desire to only buy the best youth, and not established first-team guys. Or backup guys. Or anyone at all who isn't a 18 year old wonderkid.

Squad interaction. I've lost count of the number of players I've brought on a 'backup' contract who were bitching inside 4 months about their lack of first team football. Even worse my options are "Yeah okay have some first team football" or "Okay you're on the transfer list". Not exactly "you're a backup, so shut it".

Press conferences are woeful. Beyond woeful. So predictable all the time. You can almost guess in advance what the questions will be, and sometimes they don't ask about that dodgy penalty.Why are my options for a sending off "Yeah he's a psycho"; "He didn't mean it". What about "it wasn't a red, the ref is a muppet"?

Equally it needs genuine post-match comments available. I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone to talk about a manager and found that 90% of the options are greyed out. Some of them seem to be permanently greyed-out. Even title deciders against hated rivals only allow me to mention how wonderful they are, or how much I love them, or how they're the biggest team in countryx. Ugh.

Tactical options. If I had an option to "ALWAYS head downwards" I'd score about 20 a game. Equally if I had a "Don't shoot from 20+ yards, ever, at all" option I'd get another 10. Yeah I can ask them to never shoot from distance, but they don't listen. Seriously if I could force my players just to head downwards not upwards, and not from outside the box, I'd win 20-0 all the time. I don't mind the game coming up with ways to restrict the scores (gee I've hit the woodwork for the fourth time again) but I'd be happier with less chances are more actual scoring percentage. Rather than 20 clear cut chances and 6 woodworks, 6 blatantly bad misses from 3 yards out, 7 sundry bizarre happenings and a goal.

Can we please have a 'just gimme the result' option. It would make long-term games much more viable.

Bring back the twin speed sliders. In a game where we can manipulate a billion different things, I'm sure we're all grown up enough to understand the difference between text speed and game speed. Really. Whoever you hired that suggested that option's removal needs to be shot at dawn.

International management needs a total overhaul. I can't comment upon players. I can't speak to managers about players. I can't tell my assman not to recommend I view the match involving that guy who is 35 and had one cap ten years ago. I can't speak to other intermans and tell them my club side guys deserve a call-up. Jesus before the recent World Cup my assman was trying to arrange friendlies between England and sides who play like the Nations we've drawn in the group stages, except he decided that Genk and Anderlecht would be great choices to replicate the Belgian style. Yeah they would .. but can you spot the flaw?

Confidence. If my board ever tell me again that they are happy I've won all six competitions I was in but I should focus on upcoming challenges then I will kill them. Equally if my supporters are delighted that I've won 11 straight in the league without conceding a goal, but that 2-1 defeat in a friendly two months ago really pisses them off, then I will play all my games behind closed-doors. And no, selling a reserve player for twice his value when I have a dozen other, better, players in his position is not reason to be upset either you fickle gits.

Stadium names. No it's not realistic but I don't want my career game ruined because I've got to spend the next 50 years playing in the "Tottenham Arena". At least give me some choices rather than forcing me to reload until my finger falls off.

PRESS CONFERENCES!!!! Either make them half decent or do away with them. I understand that after playing the game for a considerable amount of time, a lot of things are going to get repetitive, but they are something else.

The most important thing that needs improving is AI squad management.

This is the game killer for me right now. I can not motivate my self to play this game before this is solved out. On top of that; AI tactic approuch must be change. We need a solution where AI ajust his tactic in relation to the opponent, and not just follow the same pattern. At the same time the tactics available to AI needs major overhall. Some tactics that AI use have major weaknesses which humans can exploit with easy.

By the way, I'm done with this version of FM because of these weaknesses. Will not be buying FM until these problems are fixed. I'm pretty sure that these problems would not be fixed in this version, not in the FM2013 either. Which means it would be long before I consider buying FM again.

I agree with most if not all points mentioned.

One i do disagree with is the AI buying players. Personally i manage in Scotland, i find i have a good player for 2/3 years before some English club wants to poach them. Keeping players with favoured club and personelle matching myself and club are impossible to keep.

As a result, my squad is getting weakened every year. Losing your best players and unable to attract similar talent makes it harder and keeps it interesting for me.

On the subject of International management. Work out what it is please. In the last week I've had :

A news item telling me that England are looking to win the World Cup for the second year in a row.

A news item saying that I've warned the League that Tony Penfold (Englands star regen striker who just broke the record) has more to come.

A press conference saying that the draw for the Quarter Finals of the World Cup (!) means I've got to have a long away journey to South Africa.

Every other news item/press conference referring to England as a club, or in a league. Rather than a nation/tournament.

The game has absolutely no clue whatsoever how to handle the majesty of International management. Even accepting it's a dull job interspersed with moments of stuff to do, at the very basic it's just not enjoyable to have your immersion spoilt like that.

Press conferences are so bad, I'd rather have them taken out than leave them in as they are. It's not just the mindnumbing monotony of the repetition. It's also how unbelievably stupid so many of the questions are.

The first kit should be, of course, canon. Unchangeable. But we should at least have a bunch of options for the Away kit, even if we can't pick our own colours. Spurs are in purple this year, but we've had light blue and yellow in recent years. Not exactly minor changes in colour.

Squad interaction. I've lost count of the number of players I've brought on a 'backup' contract who were bitching inside 4 months about their lack of first team football. Even worse my options are "Yeah okay have some first team football" or "Okay you're on the transfer list". Not exactly "you're a backup, so shut it".

Press conferences are woeful. Beyond woeful. So predictable all the time. You can almost guess in advance what the questions will be, and sometimes they don't ask about that dodgy penalty.Why are my options for a sending off "Yeah he's a psycho"; "He didn't mean it". What about "it wasn't a red, the ref is a muppet"?

Equally it needs genuine post-match comments available. I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone to talk about a manager and found that 90% of the options are greyed out. Some of them seem to be permanently greyed-out. Even title deciders against hated rivals only allow me to mention how wonderful they are, or how much I love them, or how they're the biggest team in countryx. Ugh.

Can we please have a 'just gimme the result' option. It would make long-term games much more viable.

International management needs a total overhaul. I can't comment upon players. I can't speak to managers about players. I can't tell my assman not to recommend I view the match involving that guy who is 35 and had one cap ten years ago. I can't speak to other intermans and tell them my club side guys deserve a call-up. Jesus before the recent World Cup my assman was trying to arrange friendlies between England and sides who play like the Nations we've drawn in the group stages, except he decided that Genk and Anderlecht would be great choices to replicate the Belgian style. Yeah they would .. but can you spot the flaw?

I mildly disagree on kits - while teams rarely change their home kits by much, they do change them from time to time. To use Spurs as the example again, this season's home kit is all-white with just the sponsor and numbers being blue; last season (or was it the season before?) was white with a bold blue slash across the shoulders; previously we've had white with blue collars, or blue sleeves, etc. The colours very rarely change but the style of the kit does tend to change every time the kit sponsor changes.

Squad interaction, press conferences, fellow manager interactions, and post-match interviews all need a lot more variety and much better options for specific instances and events. As you say, so often you're asked to reply to another manager's comment, but then you don't actually have any options for replying and just have to select a banal standard comment. I like that all these interactions and interviews are in the game, and they do seem to improve with each version, but there's still quite a lot of work needed on them before they can start to look like a finished product. Though at least with press conferences we can leave them to our Assistants if we don't want to do them ourselves.

International management is much the same - it's good that it's there but it needs a lot of work in terms of interaction options. Feels very half-finished and secondary, which is why I never bother going for it in my games.

I too would like to see a "Result" option for match-speed, or at least being able to fast-forward till half-time and then full-time, getting interrupted only for injuries and red cards. After your team's established, I find that at least 50% of matches become more than a little boring because they're against opponents that your players don't need help beating, and you should be able to just wind them up and let them get to it; would give the game a lot more longevity if you could be done with mundane matches in a few seconds instead of a few minutes.

Easy enough to fill them with regens. Saves the researchers time, too!

* I agree with regens but not like now: there are TOO MANY champion regens in the game, not realistic.

And other thing that I'd like to see in the game is the alternative "approach" to different type of games: friendlies, league games, international and finals games, and so on, they're almost all the same! Players show the same happiness for a goal in a friendly game as in a Champion's League final one! The same for commentary... and the same in general. I'd like to see different approach to the game, even "graphically" speaking: for example, it would be nice to see "Newspaper" style with news and winning competitions (do you remember Bundesliga Manager on Amiga?). Much better to have a newspaper page with congratulations for a competition than a simple text sentence and stop; It's only graphic issue, but give you emotions, no?

--

Fabio

More variety in PPM's - two things here. One, too many PPM's at the moment just mirror player instructions. Given the time and training effort taken to teach PPM's, I tend to ignore these and go for the ones that player instructions can't replicate, because they end up being more valuable - e.g. dictates tempo, comes deep to get ball, places shots, etc. But at the moment, too many PPM's are just rehashed player instructions - I'd like some more unique ones, such as "shields ball" (basically everyone Spanish :p ), "drops into defence" (useful for DM's to recreate Barca's Busquets role; "comes deep to get ball" doesn't do this). On that note, too many of the PPM's are related to passing/shooting, ignoring other aspects of the game - defensive movement (how many of us would appreciate a winger with a PPM like "tracks back"?), crossing, etc.

Scout/AM reports - It's great that this year they tell you a player's best role/duty, but why stop just there? Why not be able to see, say, the two or 3 best roles a player can perform? Especially since so many of them are versatile. At the moment, the report already does this with positions - "Steve Clarke believes Steven Gerrard plays best as an Attacking Midfielder - Centre, however he is equally adept as a Central Midfielder". Why not extend this to roles/duties, so we don't have to resort to spreadsheets/calculators? :p

Tactical shouts could continue to improve. At the very least, something like "run down the clock" would be very useful.

Board expectations could be used to make the game more interesting for when users get bored after a season or two - for example, the board could also have expectations for the performance of the youth team. Certain clubs might care about this more than others, but I can imagine that if Barcelona or Ajax's youth team were eliminated in the first round of the NextGen series, there might be some questions asked :p And it gives incentive for users to care about their youth teams rather than just delegate them to the AI.

Past experience - The current options are too limited; adding new options such as "coach"/"youth coach"/"assistant manager"/"scout" would be great, and would be realistic - many real life managers didn't jump straight from playing to managing, they worked as coaches, etc. first. Pretending the player used to be a coach before going into management sounds more realistic to me.

Past experience - The current options are too limited; adding new options such as "coach"/"youth coach"/"assistant manager"/"scout" would be great, and would be realistic - many real life managers didn't jump straight from playing to managing, they worked as coaches, etc. first. Pretending the player used to be a coach before going into management sounds more realistic to me.

Also, if you choose "international footballer", you should be able to state how many caps you won. There's generally a big difference in reputation between someone with five caps and someone with a hundred-odd. And it seems a shame that the game selects the amount for you.

More variety in PPM's - two things here. One, too many PPM's at the moment just mirror player instructions. Given the time and training effort taken to teach PPM's, I tend to ignore these and go for the ones that player instructions can't replicate, because they end up being more valuable - e.g. dictates tempo, comes deep to get ball, places shots, etc. But at the moment, too many PPM's are just rehashed player instructions - I'd like some more unique ones, such as "shields ball" (basically everyone Spanish :p ), "drops into defence" (useful for DM's to recreate Barca's Busquets role; "comes deep to get ball" doesn't do this). On that note, too many of the PPM's are related to passing/shooting, ignoring other aspects of the game - defensive movement (how many of us would appreciate a winger with a PPM like "tracks back"?), crossing, etc.

Scout/AM reports - It's great that this year they tell you a player's best role/duty, but why stop just there? Why not be able to see, say, the two or 3 best roles a player can perform? Especially since so many of them are versatile. At the moment, the report already does this with positions - "Steve Clarke believes Steven Gerrard plays best as an Attacking Midfielder - Centre, however he is equally adept as a Central Midfielder". Why not extend this to roles/duties, so we don't have to resort to spreadsheets/calculators? :p

Tactical shouts could continue to improve. At the very least, something like "run down the clock" would be very useful.

Board expectations could be used to make the game more interesting for when users get bored after a season or two - for example, the board could also have expectations for the performance of the youth team. Certain clubs might care about this more than others, but I can imagine that if Barcelona or Ajax's youth team were eliminated in the first round of the NextGen series, there might be some questions asked :p And it gives incentive for users to care about their youth teams rather than just delegate them to the AI.

All of this :thup:

Less reliance on pace and acceleration on the Match Engine.

While i might be on the minority i think the AI is more competitive on FM12, it still needs improvement on the long term though but it's also one of the hardest areas to develop.

A better relationship with feeder clubs, having feedback on what position they need the most, when you are a feeder club yourself maybe have some sort of reputation in-place where if you have a good record of developing youngsters the bigger clubs and players will look you up as one of the places to go for development and will look you up to send their youngsters.

Maybe a overhaul of the scouting system, the immediate scout reports are too accurate, should take a few matches for a scout to take a good guess to see how good the player is though it's probably one of those things where you need to keep a distance between what's fun and realism for the sake of the game.

Less reliance on pace and acceleration on the Match Engine.

I totally forgot about this. This is something that destroys a lot of fun in this game. Slow targetman-like players are more or less useless in higher division, the same goes for slow technical players.

Something I've always wondered about is a way to increase the involvement of us the managers in pre-match arrangements. IRL a manager would surely have control over how the team prepare the day or two before a match, for instance Arsenal are away to Man Utd, early 12:45 ko. Wenger decides that the team will travel to Manchester the night before stay there and fly back the immediately after the match. If it were Barnet, they probably wouldn't have the option of staying in a hotel for financial reasons so they may have to leave 5:30am to get to macclesfield etc! It may be a different way to add more involvement for us in a realistic way and depending on the club's finances, reputation and level of competition their taking part in could add different options.

Something I've always wondered about is a way to increase the involvement of us the managers in pre-match arrangements. IRL a manager would surely have control over how the team prepare the day or two before a match, for instance Arsenal are away to Man Utd, early 12:45 ko. Wenger decides that the team will travel to Manchester the night before stay there and fly back the immediately after the match. If it were Barnet, they probably wouldn't have the option of staying in a hotel for financial reasons so they may have to leave 5:30am to get to macclesfield etc! It may be a different way to add more involvement for us in a realistic way and depending on the club's finances, reputation and level of competition their taking part in could add different options.

That idea is worst than having the dire repetitive team talk, surprised you didn't add what the players should eat for breakfast :D

I totally forgot about this. This is something that destroys a lot of fun in this game. Slow targetman-like players are more or less useless in higher division, the same goes for slow technical players.

I think that largely depends on your tactic - I've had great success using a slow but towering target-man as a lone striker when complemented by pacey wingers. Likewise I've had midfield playmakers who can control the game through deft touches and composure rather than pace and athleticism.

I should say that I think FM2012 is fantastic, and easily the best in the series.

However one thing in my mind is still lakcing and that is the sense of immersion in the footballing world. I know there are subscriptions, but they are often both too narrow in focus - I do not need to know every player sold in League X.

What would be very helpful in a future version would be perhaps a monthly round up of the status of leagues of my choosing. Each month it could perhaps show the top 5 teams, the top scorers, average ratings, etc - basically a summary of the details you can view when looking at Team and Player stats for a league. I realise that these can be viewed seperately, but I think it would be a nice touch to have them automatically sent to you.

Also it could be expanded upon for Continental and International Tournaments, which can often fly by without any sense of them having existed.

I should say that I think FM2012 is fantastic, and easily the best in the series.

However one thing in my mind is still lakcing and that is the sense of immersion in the footballing world. I know there are subscriptions, but they are often both too narrow in focus - I do not need to know every player sold in League X.

What would be very helpful in a future version would be perhaps a monthly round up of the status of leagues of my choosing. Each month it could perhaps show the top 5 teams, the top scorers, average ratings, etc - basically a summary of the details you can view when looking at Team and Player stats for a league. I realise that these can be viewed seperately, but I think it would be a nice touch to have them automatically sent to you.

Also it could be expanded upon for Continental and International Tournaments, which can often fly by without any sense of them having existed.

I do agree with this. Subscriptions are an essential feature for providing a better sense of immersion but, as you say, they need a bit of work. Monthly summaries would definitely be a nice touch and, yes, the major competitions need much more focus in terms of news - there's many a World Cup that's entirely passed me by without me even noticing.

Unrelated to that, one thing that's always hacked me off is when another club pinches your backroom staff. When a club make a bid for a player of yours, you have to acknowledge the item, and it needs to be the same for coaches. I've lost count of the coaches and scouts I've lost because I didn't even realise someone had approached them! Any approach for any staff or player needs to be made an event that you have to click on something in order to proceed. Could just be a couple of buttons - "Offer new contract" or "Allow bid" - but it needs to be something to stop the item slipping past you, which I find is increasingly easy for it to do when you get so many subscription and other news items coming in every day.

It might be more helpful to fix the "Every member of staff accepts every contract 100% of the time" thing. That way at least if we miss the news item (or there isn't one) they might, shock horror, remain loyal to the club.

would be nice to have more info in the player injured window in match engine, e.g nature of injury, prognosis from physio, and whether injury will get worse or if player can run it off (this does come up in player motivation, but better in window), so you can make informed decision about subbing player, without having to go to other screens . Quality of Physio advice obviously related to Physio ability.

It might be more helpful to fix the "Every member of staff accepts every contract 100% of the time" thing. That way at least if we miss the news item (or there isn't one) they might, shock horror, remain loyal to the club.

That'd be nice, too!! I've had players reject contract offers from other clubs, but never a staff member, even if it's a smaller club bidding.

would be nice to have more info in the player injured window in match engine, e.g nature of injury, prognosis from physio, and whether injury will get worse or if player can run it off (this does come up in player motivation, but better in window), so you can make informed decision about subbing player, without having to go to other screens . Quality of Physio advice obviously related to Physio ability.

Yeah, more in-match physio feedback would be helpful, too. All very well the player thinking they can run it off, but they're not medically trained :)

I love the game. I find the depth of the database to be amazing and generally enjoy the playing experience.

I have two main problems with the game however:

1. Interaction - I find the press conferences to be incredibly annoying. The same questions are asked over and over again but you can't really send the assistant unless he makes a mistake. The worst part of this however is dealing with players who become unhappy. For most discussions relating to problems there no adequate/suitable answers. As mentioned above things like telling a backup about his lack of playing time or explaining that a player isn't a threat after signing for the club because he will be used in a different position. This is particularly annoying for me because I nearly always play with a 5 man midfield. A lot of the time attack minded players here players can place mc, amc and on both wings. Having too many of these types results in unhappy players when in reality you could have ten of them and that would only give you two players for each position.

2. Bad background research for smaller leagues in Eastern Europe is another problem. I am not an expert on all leagues in this region, but there are awful errors with regards to rivalries in the Polish league. For example it has Polonia Warsaw down as a major rival for Legia which is ridiculous. Polonia is a tiny club with no fans that nobody cares about. They are definitely not a big rival for Legia. Legia's main rivals are Widzew, Wisla and Lech. Another is the claim that GKS Katowice are major rivals with Widzew. Gieksa and Widzew are not rivals at all. The fans sometimes fight because Widzew are friendly with Ruch (and attend Ruch games) who are rivals with Gieksa but in terms of rivalries between the clubs nothing exists. I also played in Romania as Poli Timisoara who the game claims to be a major rival of Rapid Bucharest. This is also incorrect as the clubs are actually on excellent terms and are famous for their friendship. I can't list all of the rivalry errors as there are so many, but it is something that needs to be looked into.

One other thing I'd like to see - players actually fighting for their place. As it is, if a player doesn't get as much first-team football as they like (which, sometimes, can be as much as 80% of matches) then they talk to you and demand a chance. Fair enough, really. But unless you give in to their demands immediately, "I want first-team football" becomes "I want to leave". Even with players with high determination and loyalty, anything other than "Okay, I'll give you a chance" almost always results in "I don't care about that, I just want to leave". Sure, a lot of players are like that, but not all of them. For every Tevez who throws his toys out of the pram at the slightest provocation, there's a Defoe who'll get his head down and work hard to prove himself. FM does not seem to reflect that fairly, and the very vast majority of players act like prima donnas.

just go on holiday for matchday? although you cant setup any instructions etc

You also forfeit any manager points, and have to holiday for the remainder of the day, rather than just the match.

the return of the "ARSE" command!!!

i realise SI removed this to stop lawsuits but unless the they have the ability to monitor every single computer that runs FM i think this should be dealt with in a similar way to the licensing issue with the dutch,german and now japanese national teams is.. quite simply make it a datafile that we as users can edit.. SI would then have the deniablity to say the restriction's on player behaviour ARE in the game at point of purchase and we could have some FUN..

Also with the recent changes to team talks id like these changes to be made by the reputation (international,proffessional etc..) you select at the start of the game instead of until you prove your an "international quality manager" to the players you have.. seriously would Ferguson or Ancelotti have to win a competition before the players took any notice of their pep talks??? would they hell..

Overall I think this year's game is great and I do agree with most of the suggestions above, the subscriptions one especially. Another idea I think it would be good if instead of just CA/PA it could be broken down into the categories - each player (this would be easier/better to implement on regens) has an overall CA/PA and a CA/PA for Technical, Mental and Physical stats. I think it would add lots more variety into the game especially when regens start to make up teams - having to choose between a player with brilliant technical ability/potential but not so great physical or mental potential would and vice versa would make the game much more interesting with regards to building squads and training young players. I realise it's probably highly unlikely that this would ever be implemented but I think it would improve the long term saves a lot.

For me to buy this game again they need to do the following:

1. Sort the AI out.

2. Match Engine needs tweaking and improving.

3. Youth set up is a must, the current setup is a major bland fest.

4. Create a Director of football who handles contracts and sometimes transfers.

5. Dedicated server as SI have failed to make it internet based over the past 15 years of having the internet.

6. Make a academy's round the world so you can reap the awards.

7. Scouting needs to be revamped on a huge scale.

Lets not see another update with a few gimmicks which appease the masses, be bold and make a good update with changes that are needed to take this game forward.

Also with the recent changes to team talks id like these changes to be made by the reputation (international,proffessional etc..) you select at the start of the game instead of until you prove your an "international quality manager" to the players you have.. seriously would Ferguson or Ancelotti have to win a competition before the players took any notice of their pep talks??? would they hell..

Well no... because they're already internationally-renowned managers. But back when they first started out, yeah, they probably weren't taken seriously by everyone until they'd proven their capabilities as managers. Look at famous former internationals such as van Basten, Keegan, and Klinsmann - they were legendary players but have had very mixed success as managers because in that arena they're still relatively unproven, and as a result they've all had issues with big-name players not listening to them. Respect has to be earned, after all.

Overall I think this year's game is great and I do agree with most of the suggestions above, the subscriptions one especially. Another idea I think it would be good if instead of just CA/PA it could be broken down into the categories - each player (this would be easier/better to implement on regens) has an overall CA/PA and a CA/PA for Technical, Mental and Physical stats. I think it would add lots more variety into the game especially when regens start to make up teams - having to choose between a player with brilliant technical ability/potential but not so great physical or mental potential would and vice versa would make the game much more interesting with regards to building squads and training young players. I realise it's probably highly unlikely that this would ever be implemented but I think it would improve the long term saves a lot.

I like the idea of separate pools for the three categories of attributes. After all, there are young players out there who are just never going to be technically gifted but with right training could become hulking centre-backs or towering targetmen, while other players are natural born leaders and have all the right mentality to make up for their lack of technique and their workrate compensates for poor athleticism, etc. The issue I see with this would be on the speed/power split - no amount of weight-training will make Aaron Lennon or Theo Walcott powerhouses, and even with the best will in the world Andy Carroll's not going to be a sprinting champion. But I don't know if SI already factor height/build into players' development, like will a 5'3" winger never grow to have a high strength stat, and will a 6'5" defender never develop much in pace?

1. Sort the AI out.

5. Dedicated server as SI have failed to make it internet based over the past 15 years of having the internet.

Lets not see another update with a few gimmicks which appease the masses, be bold and make a good update with changes that are needed to take this game forward.

Definitely agree with foreign youth academies being a much-needed boost to the youth setup of clubs in FM. Your other points are a little vague; rather than just saying "It's wrong, fix it", it'd be helpful if you could suggest exactly what it is that's wrong and what you think would make it better. I'm also confused as to why you think there's a need for a dedicated server. FM has been capable of playing online and over networks for, what, about ten years or so? Certainly I remember playing networked games when I was at uni a decade ago. As for a lack of "bold" changes, I'd rather see constant improvement of existing features with occasional revamps as and when necessary, rather than pointless overhauls of systems that don't actually need anything drastic doing to them. The youth system, for example, really did need massive improvement and it got it with the last version. Still a long way from perfect and there's clear areas it can be improved in, but it's heading in the right direction.

1. Sort the AI out.

Totally agree with them. And Less reliance on pace and acceleration on the Match Engine.

how about putting a stop to clubs offering you the apparant market value of 2.3m for the 18 year old that is playing in your first team 10 or 20 times per transfer window. Just the whole transfer system really needs changing just seems like everyone else hates you, and while clubs will pay big amounts for other teams players it just seems alot more rare that they'll put in reasonable offers for your players, I mean I guess it will never be realistic until both you and the AI are blind to any maths and can only go off what you see.

For me it would be the ability to shout from the sideline to individual players telling them they need to buck their ideas up or to stop lumping the ball into the stands when not under any pressure whatsoever . Also to be able to tell the team to stop giving away needless stupid free kicks which accoubnt for approx 75% of the goals my team concedes .

On a cosmetic side it would be the free kick taker getting the ball first before wandering half way up the field to take the free kick, then having to come back for the ball & a player who has just been sent off NOT going and sitting on the bench

Just want to see investment to the UI and to the game itself.

The UI currently sucks. And it's not designers fault. It's cos it's so old fashioned and just needs sprucing up. The UI sucks, imo.

I think spending more time with developing press conference is a waste of time.

I think the two areas that need the biggest revamp are the AI squad management and Transfer system. I guess they are related to each other in a way.

Currently the top teams completely fail at maintaining competitive squads. And generally AI teams are too unwilling to sell players for pretty acceptable price. The players too are a bit on the fussy end when considering to move.

I guess this has to do with reputation as well. I don't have a better idea to improve it but the reputation system is getting old pretty fast.

how about putting a stop to clubs offering you the apparant market value of 2.3m for the 18 year old that is playing in your first team 10 or 20 times per transfer window. Just the whole transfer system really needs changing just seems like everyone else hates you, and while clubs will pay big amounts for other teams players it just seems alot more rare that they'll put in reasonable offers for your players, I mean I guess it will never be realistic until both you and the AI are blind to any maths and can only go off what you see.

Agreed - you often see AI clubs buying players from other AI clubs at considerably above their worth (Vertonghen, for example, regularly goes for about £9m, three times his MV), but when they bid for a human manager's players you're lucky to even get market value.

For me it would be the ability to shout from the sideline to individual players telling them they need to buck their ideas up or to stop lumping the ball into the stands when not under any pressure whatsoever . Also to be able to tell the team to stop giving away needless stupid free kicks which accoubnt for approx 75% of the goals my team concedes .

Would definitely be nice to see more specific individual talks and shouts. Rather than just a generic "You need to play better" you should be given a few options to say exactly what areas they need to improve in - stop diving into tackles, stop rushing your shots, keep your passes low and short, stop trying to take on too many opponents, etc.

Just want to see investment to the UI and to the game itself.

The UI currently sucks. And it's not designers fault. It's cos it's so old fashioned and just needs sprucing up. The UI sucks, imo.

I think the UI for the game is absolutely fine, personally. It's not FIFA or PES, this isn't a game that's meant to look flashy and eye-catching, it's a stat-lover's wet-dream and the information needs to be presented clearly and effectively rather than flashily. Would definitely prefer function over style in FM.

I want 3 press conference options

- Attend

- Send assistant

- Not attend.

It should not be compulsory to go to every conference

Well you can already decline press conferences for new signings, it's just pre-/post-match conferences that someone has to go to. Which, and I could be wrong, I think is realistic. Certainly it'd cause a bit of a stir if a manager didn't turn up for a post-match conference. But that said, it could be like storming out of a conference - your team have played crap, you don't want to talk to the media, so you blow them off and get a news article about "[Manager] has no time for the press!" or "Angry [manager] no-show at conference!" or the like. Could be interesting.

I think the UI for the game is absolutely fine, personally. It's not FIFA or PES, this isn't a game that's meant to look flashy and eye-catching, it's a stat-lover's wet-dream and the information needs to be presented clearly and effectively rather than flashily. Would definitely prefer function over style in FM.

I never once said it should be like FIFA or PES - I don't even play those games.

UI isn't all about just how it looks - it's about how it's used, and the easability to do things with the UI.

Take for example - offering new contracts to staff.

I have 18 scouts. I have 14 coaches. I have 4 physios.

That's 36 right clicks> 36 submenus> 36 contract negotiation screens.

It's the amount of clicks - and submenus that gets me. I don't mind sitting through the negotiations, hey I'm the manager. But for all that is sane in the world - why not put an "Offer Contract" button beside the persons name?

Did you ever click the "Transfers and Contracts" tab? Why is that there? All it shows you is what the Board have you offered in contracts. A whole screen wasted.

Screen Flow - it's a great idea - but nearly impossible to use the thing. The drop down list is old fashioned - for me there's about 100 competitions running and I've to scroll through that everytime?

Actually in the options there isn't even the Add/Remove Leagues - go the FM menu and select Add/Remove Leagues. Look at that lovely interface.

Why can't the screen flow be like that?

But then on the Add/Remove Legues - click on the "Detail Level" - take a look at that humdinger. It's a mess to navigate. And don't try to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to move the menu down - you might turn off some match detail you didn't mean to! Click Undo Changes - now all your changes are undone and you have to start again. Where's the "Undo" button. You should be able to undo each step at a time.

There's some things in the game that look and work great. And are easy to use. And other parts are a nightmare.

I'm just saying it needs to be unified, simplified.

I'm only scratching the surface as to what's wrong with the UI. I could literally write a book on it.

I never once said it should be like FIFA or PES - I don't even play those games.

UI isn't all about just how it looks - it's about how it's used, and the easability to do things with the UI.

[...]

I'm just saying it needs to be unified, simplified.

I misunderstood, then. And yes, I agree that there are definitely areas it could be simplified with shortcut buttons and less sub-menus of sub-menus.

Find the offside replays with the lines very helpful, but also inconsistent - sometimes you get the lines, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you don't even get replays of offside decisions

The offside lines, for me at least, are usually wrong. The line appears a few seconds after the pass, which by then obviously shows the striker offside. I test the offside line replay every time it appears by using the space bar to pause the action (quickly tap it for total control - individual frames). What I find is that when the pass is actually played, leaving the passers foot, my striker is onside - by the time the offside line appears (which is usually after the ball has travelled 3-5 foot) the match engine calls him offside.

Now I'm not sure if the offside replay line is supposed to simulate how linesmen don't always get it right because they're human, or if it's supposed to be computer code that should get the decision right every time. If it's the latter then it fails.

Archived