Filling up the Trophy Cabinet!

ManUTactician247

In this save, I'm aiming to win the domestic league title in every single country in the game, it could take me a while because I'm not very good, but it's still an aim I have. Some countries I'll spend a season in and some maybe 10 but I'll have fun trying! I've started with automatic rep and will be going to each country in alphabetical order starting in Europe which sees me go to Austria looking for my first job.

Rules of save

• Must apply to all jobs available in the country I intend to manage in
  • Must accept first job offered
  • Only league loaded is the country I'm managing in
  • Once I win the top league in a country, I must resign immediately and look for a job in the next one
  • Have fun!

Stay tuned to see where I go!

Chapter 1 - Getting Wins in Linz

LASK_Linz.png

29/9/11 - I applied for every job in Austria and to my surprise my first job offer was a club I had heard of! LASK Linz were just relegated to the First Division and were predicted to come first in this division but to the surprise of fans in Austria, Linz lie 8th out of 10 in the league after 13 games in which they have picked up 16 points. The league is incredibly tight though, see for yourself! With 23 games remaining you cannot rule out promotion as there is only a gap of 10 points between top and bottom! I take over on a bad run of form as they have lost 3 in a row, including getting knocked out of the Austrian FA Cup by non-league opposition. I have a job to do though and am not too disheartened by our position.

History

On the 7th of August 1908, Albert Siems, head of the royal post office garage in Linz decided to start a football club, called Linzer Sportclub wearing black and white as they still do today, the team became the first team formed in that region. In September 1919, the name was changed to Linzer Athletik Sport-Klub, publicly known as LASK. The club made its first appearance in the top flight in 1940/41 season, however they came last and were relegated. The 1964/65 season was a historic one for LASK Linz as they became the first team outside Vienna to win the Austrian Championship, also winning the Austrian FA Cup in the same season. A day that'll be remembered by LASK fans came on 23rd October 1985 when the club managed to beat Inter 1-0 in Austria in the UEFA Cup (losing 4-0 in the 2nd leg unfortunately). In 1995, the club changed its name once more, becoming LASK Linz as the club felt they should bring out the city's name as a complement to where they come from. In 1997, public pressure forced LASK Linz to merge with rivals FC Linz seeing the latter cancelled, however the clubs main features remained the same.

Senior Squad (1) (2) - There are a lot of quality players and there are some who have great potential, I'm struggling to understand how this team are performing so badly, then again there's not much in it in the league at the moment.

Amateur Team - A few players with potential but some players to get rid of too.

U19 Squad (1) (2) - SO MUCH TALENT... I'm literally drooling. My assistant says Valentin Grubeck is the brightest talent with Markus Blutsch and Roman Brunner also up there.

Team Report

Star Man: Rene Aufhauser - Our main star for the season, a veteran Austrian international and still has a couple of quality years left in him at holding midfield.

Tactics

I intend to play a 4-5-1 with Aufhauser protecting the defence in the holding role and captain Hannes Aigner up front, Srdjan Vidakovic should be the creative force in the midfield.

Budgets

Transfer: £89,265

Wage: £31,127

Current Wage: £35,279

We are over wage budget and that is something I'll have to work on, some contracts won't be renewed but I'll still look to bring a couple in.

Staff

Assistant: Michael Baur

Coach: Herbert Pumann

GK Coaches: Wolfgang Wimmer, Andreas Nussbaumer

Fitness Coach: Gerhard Zallinger

Youth Coaches: Alfred Lebschy, Helmut Koglberger

Physios: Milan-Alexander Toljan, Christian Scherrer, Michael Firmotz

Scout: Michael Sahin

First Board Meeting

I got a junior coaching budget increase as well as a promise by the board to look for a parent club, we currently have SV Traun as a feeder club and very oddly Boca Juniors, we should be their feeder club lol.

September 2011 Update

Taking over at the end of September, this is the only match I played. My first match at Linz couldn't have been easier as we hosted the team at the bottom of the table, however I wasn't expecting too much, considering the form we've been in. Our first half performance was certainly of a transformed team, we completely battered SKN, our first clearcut chance came after Kaufmann's cross found a Hannes Aigner who has gone over 500 minutes without a goal and his header unfortunately rebounded off the cross bar. We had a lot of half-chances including Aigner hitting the side-netting but weren't putting them away. I soon had to eat my words as Aufhauser found Aigner on the edge of the box and he turned before lashing it into the corner, we finally took a deserved lead. We switched off after that though and for them Froschl found himself through on goal but to my relief struck the inside of the post. The game was made easier for us on 45 minutes when Markus Speiser fouled Aigner and picked up his second yellow card just 5 minutes after his first. We went into the break 1 up but I wanted more...

And more is what I got in the second half, straight away Freudenthaler broke free down the left, sending in a good ball from the left which Aigner brought down and finished from close range, he sure is relishing his new captaincy! Ali Hamdemir was unlucky not to add a third to our tally after his 30 yard thunderbolt crashed off the cross bar. We continued to dominate proceedings and were perhaps unlucky not to add more to our tally but the game finished 2-0, a satisfactory result.

LASK: Aigner (38, 47)

SKN: Speiser (45)

Summary

1 match, 1 win. We didn't face tough opposition but we got a comfortable win and got Aigner back in scoring form as well. This playing a slightly weakened side as well. The win takes us up to 6th as we look to keep up our push for promotion.

Other Club News

Our scouting range has been upgraded to scout the continent.

austrianfirstdivisionov.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

October 2011 Update

After an international break, we faced the team 2 points and 1 place ahead of us, despite this I knew we could win here. Vienna bravely decided to play 3 at the back including a sweeper so I felt an attacking formation would be more useful. It was Vienna who dominated the early proceedings and eventually had a good chance, Mair was put through on goal and his effort was just wide of the post. We started to get back into it after that but couldn't create anything clear cut and went into the break at 0-0.

Our performance in the 2nd half was a vast improvement to the first half but Vienna's defence held firm, it was gonna take something special to win it for us and we almost got it on 68 minutes as Trauners 25 yard curler was tipped over the crossbar by the goalkeeper. However, that shot was to lead to a penalty as from the resulting corner by Kaufmann, Kobleder was pushed by Kerschbaumer and we had ourselves a penalty, Vienna protested but the pen was given and Aigner continued his scoring form, smashing it into the top corner, a penalty that screamed confidence. Once again, we were not satisfied with 1-0 and found ourselves another goal from a set-piece, substitute Kaufmann sent in a corner and the keeper spilt it horribly at the feet of Trauner and after his shot led to the corner which led to the penalty, he had scored himself a goal to cap off a man of the match performance. Another 2-0 and things are starting to look up for LASK Linz. A win that not only took us above First Vienna, but above Austria Lustenau and into 4th, in 2 games from dangling above the drop zone to being 4 points off top spot!

LASK: Aigner (pen 70), Trauner (81)

Looking to continue a run of good results, we faced 2nd place Altach, knowing a victory would take us to at least 3rd in the table. Altach had the first chance of the game, a deep cross finding Lienhart but his header missed the goal to our relief. It was a boring game, but Altach were left to regret that miss 15 minutes later, Teigl swung in a free-kick from the left which the away side couldn't clear and the ball fell to Aufhauser who blasted it into the top corner to give us the lead. A couple of minutes later, Vidakovic struck from long range forcing the keeper to punch clear. We continued to put pressure on them for a second and Teigl's cross was narrowly headed over by Kragl. On the stroke of half-time we tried again and Aigner cleverly slipped in Teigl but the keeper made a terrific save to deny him. A great first-half and unlucky to be just one up.

The 2nd half started as the first finished as we completely dominated, Aigner produced a similar pass to the one he did at the end of the first half, this time for Kragl but the keeper saved again. On 60 minutes however, Altach managed to score, a low cross found Ademi who tapped it in but the flag saved us and it was disallowed to the disgust of Altach supporters. We were warned that a one goal lead may not be enough and we decided to take action, Winkler clipped a quality ball in from a free-kick and Vidakovic got the better of his marker to drill home our 2nd and grab his first Linz goal, Altach didn't dare trouble us again, except for injuring Kragl, he turned out to be fine after the match though. We got the victory though, to continue my incredible start as Linz manager, due to defeat for Lustenau 1907, we not only went above Altach but them as well and are now 2nd in the league table, the season looks a lot different for Linz fans than before I came now!

LASK: Aufhauser (33), Vidakovic (64)

A great opportunity for us to put pressure on BW Linz who were 4 points clear of us in 2nd at the top of the league and on our current form, we couldn't be in a much better position. It was us who were dominant in the first half, Schellander's corner was met by Aufhauser who was unfortunate to see his effort hit the cross-bar. We were continuing to threaten and Ali Hamdemir sent a lovely ball over the top for Kragl who unselfishly set up Teigl but the latters poor effort was spilt by the keeper and cleared. On the stroke of half-time, we finally cracked the league leaders, Teigl sending Aigner clean through on goal and the in form striker kept his nerve to put us in front. A great way to end the first half.

The 2nd half, however started disastrously as we conceded straight away, the first goal we'd conceded since I arrived, a beautiful cross was headed in by Sulimani, despite our claims for offside, the goal stood and they were level. This turned out to be their only shot on target of the game and from that moment neither side could break through the others defence with us probably coming closer out of the two teams. Either way, a disappointing draw on our run of form which sees us drop to 3rd.

LASK: Aigner (45)

RW Linz: Sulimani (46)

Summary: A fantastic start to my time at the club, we're still unbeaten in the league and have faced a lot of tough teams which we have beaten with relative ease, the only downside was the draw with RW Linz as we could have really put pressure on them with a win but I am still confident that when the season is over, we will be heading for the Austrian Premier Division.

Still in with a chance off winning it

Definitely, no Linz fan would have said that before I took over, if we play the way we have been so far, we'll win the league easily.

Apologies for the lack of updates but I've got a lot of exams going on at the moment, I'll start playing again late next week but for now, back to revision :(.

• 3 weeks later...

November 2011 Update

We faced a side that were having a poor run of form and 3 points seemed a foregone conclusion in this match. It was Lustenau who were dominating the early proceedings though, they couldn't make the most of their early dominance and create anything clear cut. It was us who had the first real chance of the game, a hectic scramble after a corner saw Winkler's header tipped over the cross bar. From the resulting corner, Winkler once again got up and his header was caught for the keeper. On 23 minutes, Lustenau had weak claims for a penalty against Kobleder which were waved away. Shortly afterwards, we had taken the lead, Aufhauser slipping a clever ball through for Kaufmann who showed good composure to finish. Lustenau claimed offside, but replays indicate the assistant JUST made the right decision. We almost got another as Teigl raced down the left and his cross was headed just over by Kaufmann. Soon enough, we were 2-0 up as Schellander's free-kick was nodded in by Kragl and from then on I couldn't see us losing. On the stroke of half-time, we almost let them back into the game, a cross fell to Rupp 4 yards who could only poke it at Mandl and we got it clear. And with that the first half ended, a comfortable lead for us which hopefully we could extend in the 2nd half.

The second half began rather uneventfully and it was a while before one team really challenged the keeper as Aigner's snap shot caught the keeper off guard who could only punch it clear. Lustenau had another chance to get back in it as Luxbacher headed over a cross, that was followed by further claims of a penalty against Kobleder but the ref rejected those claims again. The referee's decision certainly made an impact on the game as a minute later we were 3-0 up, Vidakovic finding Teigl who was allowed to cut inside before calmly finishing to seal the three points. His first for the club. Both sides seemed happy to settle for 3-0 and that's how it ended, a quality result away from home, a win that takes us above SCR Altach and in to 2nd again.

LASK: Kaufmann (27), Kragl (38), Teigl (75)

Playing 3 away games in a row is always hard, and the fact that we had to face the team in 4th place made it that much harder. The first half was pretty dull, our disappointing finishing saw all our shots go straight at the goalkeeper so we went into the break at 0-0, hoping for a more explosive 2nd half performance.

We started it off brightly, Teigl sending Aigner through on goal who forced a save out of the keeper. Austria Lustenau came close themselves, a well worked free-kick finding Sidinei whose fierce effort was well tipped over. Later in the match, Vidakovic saw his own long range effort helped over the crossbar by the keeper. We finally made the breakthrough though after 72 minutes, Vidakovic sent a lovely ball through for Kragl who latched onto it, finding the far corner with a good finish. The lead lasted a grand total of 3 minutes though, Mandl made a very unexpected error, inexplicably tipping a shot over the bar when he could have easily have caught it or left it to go wide. Either way, from the corner that followed ex Livingston player Attila Kriston headed home. We pushed for a winner but were ultimately unsuccessful, we didn't really deserve it though.

LASK: Kragl (72)

Austria Lustenau: Kriston (75)

In other news, a ridiculous claim by the media saying that Lukas Kragl is not mature enough to be considered for the first-team squad, well a winger that has scored twice in his last two games and was man of the match in both those games has definitely earned his run in the team thank you very much!

After 3 away games in a row, we finally get a home match against a St Andra side at the lower end of the table, we start off the better as Schellander's corner sees Winkler's header almost spilt by the keeper and gathered at the second attempt. It wasn't long till we did have the lead after 10 minutes, Ali Hamdemir threaded a beautiful ball for Kragl who finished to continue his devastating scoring form of late and prove the critics in the media wrong. There was a barren spell after that where neither team threatened before St Andra almost levelled, Kerhe snuck his way into the box and his shot was palmed clear by Mandl. The game swung further in our favour when Aigner put Teigl through and he was brought down by Tomas Randa who had denied a goalscoring opportunity and was dismissed, much to the disgust of the away team. St Andra actually threatened us quite a bit until half-time and we were lucky to go in 1 up at the break.

We almost doubled our advantage when Ali Hamdemir had acres of space 30 yards out and his goalbound effort was tipped over the cross-bar, the Austrian-Turk's performance was certainly impressing me today. We soon had another chance as Aufhauser's snapshot was also tipped over the cross-bar by the keeper. We eventually did get a second goal as Vidakovic's cross was headed in for his second by Kragl, but wait the goal has been disallowed! I'm struggling to work out why but the assistant had his flag up for offside,

which I knew would impact on the game! Sure enough, it did and St Andra with literally their first attack of the half broke down the right and a low cross was slid in by Rasmus Falk to level the scores, fortunately I resisted the urge to throw the PC out of the window as there was still time left. We found it hard to break through St Andra's backline again but we did have a chance as Ali Hamdemir struck from distance again and his effort was punched clear. At the end, it was St Andra who almost won it as a cross from the left was headed over from close range by Falk, that would have really made me angry but the game finished 1-1 when it was a very winnable game and it would have been won if it weren't for the stupid assistant.

LASK Linz: Kragl (10)

St Andra: Falk (72), Randa (28)

Looking for a win here against the side that were bottom of the table and thinking it would be easy. It was Grodig who gave us a big scare early on, as a cross found Ione Cabrera unmarked and his header was somehow saved by Mandl, we wasted no time hitting them on the counter and Kragl's cross from the right was slid in by Aigner to give us the lead within 2 minutes, harsh on Grodig who should have had the lead themselves. Grodig were not put down by this and continued to throw everything at us, Diego Viana was cleverly put through but Mandl made another vital save to keep us ahead. At the end of the half, it was us who should have scored as Aigner was put through by Vidakovic but dragged his effort wide. I let the team know they were being complacent and we were lucky to be ahead.

Despite what I told them, Grodig continued to play better and a corner found Krammer whose effort was cleared off the line. We almost had a goal ourselves, Aigner finding Vidakovic who had made a clever run but somehow skied his effort when there was no-one near him. Grodig were putting huge pressure on us late on and a cross from the right found Salamon whose header struck the cross-bar, we were soon punished for our poor play as they got a free-kick, playing it quickly to supersub Thomas Salamon who lashed it into the corner to get them a draw and leave us with another 1-1 draw.

LASK: Aigner (2)

Grodig: Salamon (85)

Summary: I'm starting to get a glimpse of the inconsistent form that put this team in such a bad position when I joined, the fact I'm still unbeaten is good but 3 draws out of 4 is simply not good enough considering the opposition we faced, the sooner we get back to winning ways the better. For now, somehow we remain second in the league but are now 6 points behind leaders FC RW Linz.

New Year 2012 Around the World Update

Champions League

Not too many shocks in the Group Stage, but Kobenhavn notably got ahead of Valencia to take 2nd in Group C. Group E was perhaps the most surprising group as CSKA Moscow and Lille went through at the expense of Porto and Dortmund.

A-D

E-H

Knockout Stages

Europa League

From England, Tottenham and Fulham both made it to the knockout stages with Stoke disappointingly coming bottom of their group containing Besiktas, Sporting and Rennes. Tottenham topped a group with Athletic Bilbao, APOEL and Dinamo Bucharest, winning all their matches conceding just one goal. Fulham came 2nd in their group, it was always going to be hard to finish above Lyon, but they did beat them at home, also finishing above OB and PAOK.

Knockout Stages

Club World Cup

Kashiwa Reysol surprised many by making it to the CWC final, they entered at the earliest possible stage but their journey started by smashing Waitakere Utd 4-0 in the play-off. They were 2-0 up in the quarters against Al-Gharrafa but two late goals sent it to extra time, Kashiwa eventually won on penalties to face Santos in the semis, they fell behind to an own goal but equalised before getting a winner from the penalty spot in extra-time. They would face Barcelona in the final in the biggest match of their lives, Barcelona themselves didn't make it a cakewalk in the semis, Monterrey gave them a good battle, both sides missing penalties in normal time, Lionel Messi missing first before Humberto Suazo failed for the Mexicans. Normal time ended 0-0 with Barca finally stepping up in extra time, Messi giving them lead before Pique sealed in the last minute to send them to the final. Despite playing poorly, Santos claimed third place, drawing 2-2 with Monterrey before winning on penalties. Kashiwa Reysol managed to last 82 minutes at 0-0 with Barca before Seydou Keita opened the scoring. Alexis Sanchez sealed the win in extra time as Barcelona despite being far from impressive won the competition.

World Player of the Year

1. Lionel Messi (Barca)

2. Alexis Sanchez (Barca)

3. Cesc Fabregas (Barca)

World Golden Ball

1. Lionel Messi (Barca)

2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real)

3. Xavi (Barca)

World Team of the Year

GK: Petr Cech (Chelsea)

RB: Daniel Alves (Barca)

RCB: Gerard Pique (Barca)

LCB: Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)

LB: Philipp Lahm (Bayern)

RCM: Cesc Fabregas (Barca)

LCM: Marvin Martin (Sochaux) (WTH)

RAM: Alexis Sanchez (Barca)

AM: Javier Pastore (PSG)

AML: Luka Modric (Spurs)

ST: Lionel Messi (Barca)

Subs

Victor Valdes (Barca)

Neven Subotic (Dortmund)

Fabio Coentrao (Real)

David Villa (Barca)

Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

Maicon (Inter)

Fernando Llorente (Bilbao)

January 2012 Update

Currently we are on a winter break so league matches have been postponed but I've taken this opportunity to bring a lot of exciting young players in.

Coming in on the 1st January are

Christian Kluge 20 Austria (RM/CM/RAM/AM) £45K from Sturm Graz ★½/★★★½

Tim Heinemann 18 Austria (CM) £350 from DSV Leobens ★½/★★★★½

Armin Music 18 Bosnia (RB/CB) £200 from SC Ostbahn XI ★½/★★★★½

Simon Zangerl 22 Austria (ST) £14K from WSG Wattens ★½/★★★

Lukas Wurmlinger 18 Austria (ST) £30K from Union St. Florian ★/★★★★

Thomas Murg 17 Austria (ST) £500 from Grazer AK ★★/★★★★★

Jurgen Scharsching 18 Austria (RM/CM/RAM/AM) £50 from FC Weis 1b ★½/★★★★½

Fabian Glantschnig 18 Austria (CM) £100 from SV Absam ★/★★★★

Tomislav Tomic 17 Austria (CM/AM) £100 from SV Absam ☆☆☆☆☆/★★★★

(White stars represent youth stars)

The majority of our friendlies will be played in February but we did play one in January

I thought this would be a good opportunity to test ourselves against the team at the bottom of the Premier Division, if we're aiming for promotion then this is the sort of opposition we should beat in the Prem. We got off to a great start as Teigl was brought down by Schachner for a penalty for which Aigner stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way. We almost went 2-0 up when Teigl's corner was met by Kobleder but it was cleared off the line. Right before half-time Admira almost equalised as Schicker's cross from the right evaded everyone and hit the post so we went in 1-0 up at the break.

Similar to our league form, we couldn't hold our 1-0 lead and immediately Admira, equalised after a deep cross was headed in by Rene Schicker. Admira, inspired by their equaliser continued to pressure us and Pajic had a chance from a tight angle but Mandl had his near post covered with a save. Bad news for us though as new signing Heinemann came off clutching his arm, where afterwards we found out it was fractured and he'd be out for a month. Admira had another chance late on as Gramann's header was cleared off the line by Kreuzriegler. However, despite Admira's obvious dominance, we took the spoils late on, Aigner broke free down the right and his cross was side-footed in by Teigl to get us a good win despite our performance.

LASK: Aigner (pen 12), Teigl (87)

Admira: Schicker (46)

I agree that it's a good idea, best of look! Looking forward to see what happens in different leagues :p.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it too!

Good luck, would be a massive achievement if you manage to win all the leagues.

Thanks, it definitely would! This is a monster challenge.

I've decided to do a Champions League update similar to the way abulezz does it in his Bromley thread, except I will be doing it in a match report format as seen below.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 LEG 1

14/2/12

FC Kobenhavn vs Chelsea

Kobenhavn CL so far: Andre Villas-Boas will be delighted with drawing Kobenhavn in the first knockout round of the Champions League. The Danes took the long route, scraping 2-1 past Maribor in the 3rd Qualifying round before beating APOEL 4-1 on aggregate in the playoff to get to the Group Stages where they would face Bayern Munich, Valencia and Partizan. They had a terrible start, losing 5-0 at Bayern and 1-0 at home to Valencia. They even drew 3-3 with Partizan who were expected to be the whipping boys, 1 point from 3 games, they looked set to be fighting for a Europa League spot. A 3-1 win in the return fixture against Partizan got them back on track but it was the 5th round of football that was vital in Kobenhavn's progression, a goal by Dame N'Doye, his 3rd in the Group Stage gave them a vital win against eventual Group Leaders Bayern Munich and what's more Partizan managed to beat Valencia 2-0 sending Kobenhavn into 2nd place where a draw against Valencia at the Mestalla would send them through and thanks to a 79th minute leveller by Stefan Jensen they got a 2-2 draw to progress to the knockout stages.

Chelsea CL so far: Chelsea had an easy group to be fair, Napoli, Ajax and Zenit was a group that many could get out of. A 2-1 win home to Ajax and 4-1 away at Napoli, this group seemed to be a cakewalk and bar a very unlucky 1-0 home defeat to Zenit, it was. A late own goal saw them win 1-0 to get revenge on the Russians and the other results were 2-0 at Ajax and 2-1 at home to Napoli thanks to a late Lampard goal, a very impressive Group Stage by AVB's side

The match

Preview: Kobenhavn will be gutted that Dame N'Doye will miss both legs with a sport hernia as his 4 goals in the Group Stages got them this far. Mathias Jorgensen and Pape Pate Diouf are also unavailable with damaged cruciate ligaments and a damaged heel respectively. Ragnar Sigurdsson is also suspended after picking up 3 yellows, the Danes will play with a 4-4-2. Just one injury for Chelsea as Sturridge has a hip injury and will also miss both legs. 3 yellows for Ashley Cole mean he's suspended and bizarrely Florent Malouda will play at left-back today. Chelsea will play 4-5-1, Mikel playing the holding role while Lampard and Meireles do the work in front of him, Jefferson Farfan and Juan Mata will look to provide good crosses for Torres on his own up-front.

8 - Mata plays a low ball in for Torres but his effort is weak and straight at Wiland.

8 - Absalonsen paces past Bosingwa down the left and pulls it back for Vukusic who sends his effort well wide.

13 - Farfan finds Mata who shoots first time but it's straight at the keeper.

14 - Vingaard's free-kick is headed well over by Larsson.

23 - Malouda's long range shot is deflected behind for a corner.

28 - Cesar Santin is booked for tripping Lampard.

30 - Jacobsen brings down Torres and is booked.

31 - Absalonsen cuts inside past Bosingwa but messes up the shot as it curls wide.

33 - Vingaard finds Kristensen who shoots first time but Cech gets two hands on it.

35 - Golden opportunity for Kobenhavn! Great work by Cesar Santin to hold it up and he spots the run of Grindheim who tries to place it in but just misses the post.

42 - Farfan trips Larsen who looked to have dived, it's a yellow for the Peruvian.

45+1 - Half time

Kobenhavn will be the more satisfied at half-time, their performance levels have been much better and could easily be 1-0 up.

45 - AVB clearly not happy with that 1st half and makes two subs, Brazilians Ramires and David Luiz replace Malouda and Meireles.

47 - Absalonsen sets up Vingaard from 25 yards out and he hits a fierce effort which Cech does very well to tip round the post.

51 - Ramires robs Kristensen just outside the box and his shot is straight at the goalkeeper, sloppy play like that could easily have cost them.

54 - GOAL! And it's nothing less than Kobenhavn deserve, great corner by Vingaard finds Ottesen who has it all to do but it's a fantastic header into the far corner.

56 - Torres is replaced by Anelka.

56 - Mata is allowed to advance into the box but his finish is poor, well wide.

57 - Mata makes another clever run into the box but his shot is deflected which makes it easier for Wiland.

58 - Mata finds Anelka who goes for goal but it's tipped over the crossbar.

61 - Bolanos comes on to replace the impressive Vingaard.

70 - GOAL! Great football by Chelsea, Anelka slips in Mata and he finishes with aplomb, if anyone was going to score for Chelsea, it was him. Complaints about offside by Jacobsen but it stands.

71 - Martin Brondum comes on to replace Absalonsen.

73 - Brondum plays a one-two with Kristensen before turning in the box and his effort is just about saved by Cech.

77 - Chelsea think they've taken the lead when Ramires slips in Lampard who scores but the flag is rightly up for offside. Farfan is furious!

80 - Anelka is through on goal but is brought down by Larsen, the ref shows leniency with a yellow, the defender may have caught up with him anyway.

80 - Lampard has a chance with the free-kick but it's a poor effort, high and wide of the goal.

82 - Jensen replaces Cesar Santin.

90+3 - Full time

A quiet end to the game, Kobenhavn have every right to be pleased with their performance, they probably deserved to win this but Mata proved to be a bright light for Chelsea as they got a 1-1 away draw which gives them the advantage at Stamford Bridge, Kobenhavn can still pull it off if they play like that again

FC Kobenhavn 1-1 Chelsea

Kobenhavn: Ottesen (55)

Chelsea: Mata (71)

MOTM: Vingaard (8.1)

Leverkusen vs Barcelona

Leverkusen CL so far: The Germans made no easy task of qualifying out of their group, having to face Real Madrid but Rangers and Genk should have made 2nd easy, it wasn't. They kicked off with a 1-0 win against Genk in Belgium. They were unlucky to lose 2-0 at home to Real Madrid. They then had 2 games against Rangers, Rangers didn't even have a shot on target in a 1-1 draw in Germany and the Scots also managed to draw 1-1 in Glasgow thanks to a late goal by Naismith. Both on 5 points with 2 games to go, Bayer Leverkusen beat Genk and Rangers lost to Real Madrid, however Rangers were to face Genk and Bayer to face Real in the final game. Rangers needed to win but could only draw with the Belgians. The result didn't matter anyway as a draw with Real at the Bernabeu sent them through.

Barca CL so far: Barcelona made light work of a Group D with Benfica and Maccabi Haifa, even Man City were no challenge to the holders of the competition. A Messi hat-trick helped them beat Benfica 5-0 at the Nou Camp, they had a bit more difficulty in Israel, Maccabi Haifa with an impressive performance despite going down 2-1 to Barca. Messi the saviour again. It was David Villa who stole the headlines in Manchester, scoring both goals as the Catalan giants dominated. Messi was on the scoresheet in the return fixture as they beat City 2-0 again. They then beat Benfica in Portugal 2-1 before knocking 6 past Maccabi Haifa in the last group game, 18 points out of 18, not bad.

The match

Preview: For Bayer Leverkusen, a few injuries, Rene Adler has failed to recover fully from a dead leg but makes the bench. On loan from Tottenham Younes Kaboul has a broken collarbone, Lars Bender has sprained his ankle and Nicolai Jorgensen has a lower back stress fracture. Barca themselves have a ravaged midfield, Xavi is a major doubt for even the latter stages with knee tendionitis, Iniesta with damaged cruciate ligaments won't play again this season and even Mascherano has a groin strain. Alexis Sanchez is also suspended for this one. Tactics wise, Leverkusen are relying on Reinartz and Rolfes to protect the defence while Barnetta, Renato Augusto and Schurrle support KieBling upfront. Despite several injuries, Barcelona can still field an impressive midfield trio of Busquets, Fabregas and Keita. Pedro and Villa will look to support Messi on either side of him as they look for some away goals.

29 - It's been a very boring start to the half, KieBling shoots from range but it goes over.

30 - Busquets finds Messi who turns and shoots but it's straight at Schroder.

38 - GOAL! It's a shock lead for Bayer Leverkusen as Castro floats over a free-kick from the left and KieBling gets a head on it, in off the post.

41 - Keita finds Villa in the box but Schroder is well positioned to make the save.

45+1 - David Villa breaks into the box and sees his shot deflected behind for a corner.

45+2 - Half time

The Germans look to have got their tactics spot on here, Barca have had no joy and Leverkusen have even snatched a goal at the other end, I'm sure they'd take this result if they had the choice.

50 - Messi turns and shoots on the edge of the box but misses.

54 - Both sides make changes, Ballack comes on for Renato Augusto and Pique limps off for Barca, replaced by Marc Bartra, a chance for him to impress.

55 - Daniel Alves has a go but it's deflected and easy for the keeper.

56 - Villa finds Keita who lets fly but Schroder catches it.

60 - Keita shoots from distance and for some reason Schroder can't catch it, punching it away.

62 - GOAL! Barcelona are level, Messi pulls the ball back for Pedro on the left who picks out the far corner, a good away goal for Barca.

75 - Sam comes on to replace Schurrle.

82 - It's been a quite 20 minutes but Keita with a great ball over the top for Messi who shoots from a tight angle but beaten away by Schroder.

85 - Reinartz is robbed of the ball and Keita plays it to Messi who shoots but Schroder saves again.

86 - Bartra is booked for tripping Barnetta.

87 - Messi lays it back to Keita who shoots but it's well wide.

90 - Ballitsch will replace Castro.

90+4 - A last gasp free-kick for Barnetta which goes over the bar.

90+5 - Full time

Bayer Leverkusen's plan worked in the first-half but Barcelona had just too much stamina for the Germans and claimed a 1-1 away draw which could have definitely been more, Bayer Leverkusen have a difficult job at the Nou Camp but it's not a tragic result for them.

Leverkusen 1-1 Barcelona

Bayer: KieBling (39)

Barca: Pedro (63)

MOTM: Pedro (7.6)

15/2/12

Man City vs FC Bayern

Man City CL so far: Besides their 2-0 defeats home and away to Barcelona in Matchday 3 and 4 they won all of their matches. They beat Maccabi Haifa 2-0 at home and Benfica 2-0 away before losing 2-0 twice to Barca. They then beat Maccabi Haifa 4-1 in Israel and Benfica 3-2 at home.

Bayern CL so far: Bayern breezed through their group with Kobenhavn, Valencia and Partizan. They got off to a fantastic start, 5-0 win against Kobenhavn and then 4-0 at Partizan. They beat Valencia 1-0 away and home to guarantee them qualification, they did lose 1-0 in Denmark but a Muller hat-trick got them a 4-0 win against Partizan to wrap up the group.

The Match

Preview: For City, Onuoha, Toure and Bridge are ineligible, otherwise they have a full squad to choose from. Bayern certainly don't have that luxury. Boateng will miss out to play against his former club with a back strain. Philipp Lahm has a torn hamstring and Ribery has just failed to recover from a pulled hamstring. Christian Maggio will also miss out through suspension. Man City are playing a very offensive line-up with Ganso, Nasri and Silva more than enough ammunition for Aguero up-front who himself is a threat. Bayern are looking to control things in the middle with Schweinsteiger and Luiz Gustavo with Pranjic playing due to the absence of Ribery, he joins Robben, Muller and Gomez in Bayerns attack.

2 - Silva hits one from distance but it's well wide.

11 - Bayern Munich hit Man City on the break as Robben runs nearly the full length of the pitch before shooting straight at Hart, great chance.

20 - GOAL! Silva slips a clever ball in for Aguero who makes no mistake from the finish, advantage City.

22 - Pranjic shoots from a free-kick and it comes off the wall and out for a corner.

25 - Srna's corner is headed wide by Kompany.

28 - Aguero cuts inside and shoots and curls it just wide of the post.

29 - GOAL! And just like that Bayern Munich are level, Muller threads a great ball through for Gomez whose initial effort is saved by Hart but you can't deny him the rebound. Vital away goal for Bayern Munich.

32 - Aguero gets past his marker and shoots but straight at Neuer.

33 - Rafinha puts in a deep cross, met by Pranjic but it comes off the defender for a corner.

37 - GOAL! And what a goal by Sergio Aguero, Toure gives it to him 22 yards out and first-time he curls it into the top corner, lovely goal.

40 - Toure sends Aguero clean through on goal but he disappointingly puts it wide.

42 - Milner finds Silva who shoots but it's a routine catch for Neuer.

45 - PENALTY! Exactly what City didn't need to do at the end of the half, Robben takes the ball round Clichy before the Frenchman chops him down for a penalty, this could well cost City. Kompany certainly disagrees with that decision.

45 - GOAL! A fantastic penalty by Pranjic, right into the top corner and this puts City in trouble.

45+1 - Half time

Man City have definitely played better, creating more attacks than Bayern but when the Germans attack, boy do they look dangerous. 2 away goals might just have sealed the tie for them, City will need Aguero and co. to get scoring and stop making silly mistakes at the back.

49 - Luiz Gustavo picks out Robben with a lovely ball and he tries to curl it but it's close enough to Hart to concede a corner.

54 - Great chance for City, Nasri plays a low ball in from the right which finds Aguero but he can only shoot straight at Neuer who fists it clear.

56 - Van Buyten has a fierce effort from a free-kick, just over by the ex City player.

57 - Bayern should be ahead, a well worked free-kick by Pranjic finds Schweinsteiger who hits it, Hart saves, the ball is passed around before finding Pranjic who fires over when he was unmarked.

60 - Pranjic wants a penalty for an illegal jump by Srna but he'll only get a corner.

61 - Silva makes his way into the box before finding Nasri whose shot hits the post and bounces off Neuer before Bayern clear, so close.

64 - Contento has a free-kick on the edge of the box which floats just over the bar.

66 - Aguero gets to the byline and pulls it back to Milner who smashes it at Neuer, City need to aim for the corners. Nasri then gets the loose ball, turns, shoots and hits the side-netting.

71 - Pranjic's corner is headed wide by Muller.

73 - Nasri thinks he should have had a penalty for a foul by Contento but the ref gives nothing.

76 - Muller plays it to Gomez who gets the better of Bocchetti before smashing it but Hart makes the save, the rebound falls to Muller who half-volleys it wide, that should have been 3-2.

81 - Finally a sub, Tymoschuk comes on for Contento.

87 - A standing ovation for Aguero as he is replaced by Edin Dzeko.

90 - Both sides make changes, Kroos comes on for Pranjic for Bayern and City replace Ganso with de Jong.

90+3 - Full time

A fantastic game for the neutral and both sides would think they could have won this match, Bayern Munich though have the advantage with 2 away goals and the 2nd leg promises a good game.

Man City 2-2 FC Bayern

City: Aguero (21, 38)

Bayern: Gomez (30), Pranjic (pen 45+1)

MOTM: Aguero (9.1)

OM vs AC Milan

OM CL so far: Marseille were expected to come 2nd in a group which also contained Inter, Trabzonspor and Basel. A 2-2 draw at the San Siro was a positive start. They then had to come back from behind at home to Basel and win 2-1. Then came a shock result as they went to Turkey and lost 2-0 to Trabzonspor. They managed to win 3-2 in the return fixture though and then beat Inter 1-0 to seal their passage into the next round and could even afford a 3-0 defeat by Basel in the last game. Interestingly, if the two matches against each team were in a knockout phase, the only team they would beat would be Inter.

AC Milan CL so far: AC Milan were drawn in a group with Man United, Olympiakos and Otelul, the two teams to qualify seemed obvious, they were. AC Milan went off to a dodgy start, a Lucien Rusu goal getting Otelul a shock draw at the San Siro. They more than made up for it with a 2-1 win at Old Trafford though. They won 2-1 at home and 3-1 away against Olympiakos, a 3-0 win in Romania meant only a draw was necessary at the San Siro against United to seal top spot and that's what they got, 1-1 it ended.

Preview: For Marseille, Escude and Brandao are for some reason ineligible, otherwise Jean-Philippe Sabo just fails to recover from a twisted ankle, Souleymane Diawara has a sprained ankle and Mbia just misses out with a bruised jaw. For Milan, El Shaarawy is ineligible with injuries to Abate (dislocated shoulder), Gattuso (torn calf muscle) and Inzaghi (strained ankle ligaments). Flamini is also suspended against his former club as well. Tactically, Marseille are looking quite offensive, Afellay expected to be the focal point of the Marseille attack with Amalfitano and Valbuena to help him provide support for Remy. For Milan, Robinho, Pato and Ibrahimovic will be the attackers with a wall of Ambrosini, van Bommel and Nocerino behind them. Luca Filieri (grey player) is an interesting start at right-back, will his lack of experience hinder Milan?

1 - GOAL! It's taken one minute for Marseille to take the lead here, Lucho Gonzalez slips it through for Amalfitano who takes it round the keeper before finishing, great start. van Bommel can only argue for offside.

5 - End to end action here! Van Bommel plays a stunning ball over the top for Pato who does well to control it before closing in on goal but Carrizo tips the shot over well.

11 - GOAL! Great work by Amalfitano down the right and his low cross finds Remy who lashes it into the roof of the net, the tie is slipping away from Milan.

19 - Marseille have a free-kick from 30 yards out and Lucho Gonzalez sets up Kabore who rockets a shot on goal which Abbiati just saves.

25 - Robinho's free-kick is headed over by Mexes.

26 - Maynor Figueroa is booked for Marseille after a trip on Pato.

30 - Robinho to Nocerino who curls one just wide.

39 - RED CARD! A dreadful first half continues for Milan as Nocerino goes in with two feet on Afellay and gets his marching orders. Van Bommel argues against the decision.

40 - Lucho Gonzalez sends in the free-kick and Abbiati almost makes a mess of it just punching it clear.

41 - Ibrahimovic plays it through for Pato whose shot is turned round the post by Carrizo, phenomenal save.

45+1 - Half time

A poor half for Milan, 2 goals conceded and a red for Nocerino, one away goal could change everything though so Milan have no reason to be negative.

48 - Great chance for Milan, Filieri's low ball in somehow falls to Robinho who just shoots without aiming, high and wide, poor by Robinho.

51 - Amalfitano is allowed to cut inside and his effort is over.

53 - Remy thinks he should have a penalty for a foul by Antonini, ignored by the ref.

53 - Amalfitano passes it back to Cheyrou who sends it well over the bar.

58 - Cheyrou plays a free-kick short to Kabore who has another go from long range, tipped behind by Abbiati.

62 - Double sub for Milan, Nesta and Aquilani are on for Mexes and Robinho.

63 - Pato finds Ibrahimovic who beats Fanni before heading for goal but his shot is poor and saved by Carrizo.

72 - Obraniak comes on for Afellay for Marseille.

81 - Valbuena finds Remy on the edge of the box who shoots on the turn but drags it wide.

83 - Pato finds Ibrahimovic who bursts into the box but finds his effort blocked by the keeper again.

84 - GOAL! And that looks to have sealed the tie for Marseille, Valbuena sends Remy through on goal who rounds the keeper before finishing.

85 - 2 subs for Marseille and 1 for Milan, Diarra and Azpilicueta come on for Cheyrou and Valbuena with Milan replacing Pato with Bonera, strange of them to go defensive now.

90+1 - Full time

A fantastic result for Marseille which seems to have sent Milan packing, the French supporters will be delighted but Milan will think what could have happened if they converted a couple of the chances they had.

OM 3-0 AC Milan

OM: Amalfitano (2), Remy (12, 85)

Milan: Nocerino (40)

MOTM: Remy (8.8)

21/2/12

Arsenal vs Inter

Arsenal CL so far: Arsenal finished 4th in the league so had to qualify from the Best Placed Playoff, and they did so in comfortable fashion, dispatching Romanians FC Vaslui 4-0 in both legs. Arsene Wenger was seen jumping for joy at the Group Stage draw as it would pit his side in a group with Shakhtar, Rubin and Udinese, far from the worst group they could have got. A 3-0 win at home to Udinese kicked things off but they couldn't perform in Ukraine against Shakhtar, losing 1-0 and another shock was to come as they lost 1-0 at home to Rubin, Valdez scoring with his sides only shot. It was going to be difficult to win in the return match in Russia but they did. They also managed a 2-1 win away at Udinese before hosting Shakhtar in a meaningless final group game, they won 2-1 but it didn't matter as they settled for 2nd.

Inter CL so far: Inter were expected to top a group with Marseille, Trabzonspor and Basel and that they did. They will have been disappointed to draw 2-2 with Marseille on matchday 1 but did manage a 1-0 win in Turkey against Trabzon, they then went to Switzerland and won 2-1 before winning 3-0 against Basel in the return game. A 1-0 loss in Marseille and a 1-1 draw at home to Trabzonspor didn't matter as they had done all the work they needed.

The Match

Preview: For some reason, Arsenal have 4 players ineligible, Fabianski, Squillaci, new boy Di Maria and Chamberlain all unable to face Inter. This is on top of several injuries, Manuel Almunia is in bed with a virus, Song has a pulled hamstring, Cristian Ansaldi has fractured ribs, Arshavin is out long term with damaged cruciate ligaments, Benayoun has a fractured skull, Diaby (surprise, surprise) has a facial injury and last of all Gervinho couldn't recover from a thigh strain. Inter have a few injuries too, not quite at Arsenal's level, most notably Julio Cesar will miss out with concussion with Lucio also not playing due to a torn hamstring. Cambiasso hasn't recovered in time with his broken collarbone and Muntari has a torn calf muscle. Tactically Arsenal seem to be playing a slightly reserved formation, Torosidis will defend the back four giving Milan Badelj and Arteta some freedom, Chamakh and Ayew will look to take advantage of the full-backs going forward to give RVP what he needs. Viviano notably in goal for Inter instead of the injured Julio Cesar, a narrow formation which will rely on Maicon and Nagatomo to bomb forward from full-back, Zanetti plays an unfamiliar CM with Sneijder playing behind Forlan and Pazzini.

4 - Sneijder turns on the edge of the box and fires it over.

9 - GOAL! Arteta finds van Persie in the box who touches it before smashing a shot which is deflected on its way in to give the Gunners the lead.

14 - Gibbs sends a deep cross to the back post which is met by Chamakh but it's straight at the keeper.

24 - Sagna's cross is headed straight at the keeper by Ayew.

33 - Sagna plays a good ball for van Persie who shoots from a tight angle but Viviano makes a good save.

38 - Badelj spots a run by van Persie, picks him out but his shot is well saved by Viviano for a corner.

39 - PENALTY! Arteta swings in the corner and the ref sees a push by Nagatomo on Chamakh, no arguments and a good chance for Arsenal.

40 - GOAL! Viviano goes the right way but it's a solid penalty by van Persie, 2-0 Arsenal.

45+1 - Half time

No doubt Arsenal will be happier at the moment, they're playing very well and have a good lead, its all about RVP at the moment, leading Arsenals attack well. Inter will really need to step up, they've been terrible.

45 - Poli replaces Motta at half-time.

48 - Chamakh sets up Badelj but he fires it over.

49 - GOAL! A great cross from the left by Ayew finds Chamakh at the back post who taps it in, game set match?

56 - Stankovic clips a ball through for Forlan who cuts inside and shoots and sees it rebound off the post, first good chance for Inter.

58 - Forlan shoots from distance and it's easy for Mandanda.

60 - Chivu and Jonathan are on and Nagatomo and Sneijder are off.

65 - Pazzini has a go but it's wide, Stankovic was free to his left.

67 - Poli plays a free-kick across for Jonathan whose effort just misses the top corner, good shot.

81 - Zanetti shoots from distance and its over.

82 - van Persie plays it to Ayew who drags his shot wide.

83 - Arteta with a great corner and somehow Mertesacker can only head it over the bar.

87 - 1st Arsenal change, it's Koscielny for Gibbs.

90+2 - Full time

A dominant Arsenal look very unlikely to be knocked out before the Quarter Finals, a great performance by RVP and the team, Inter will need a miracle at the San Siro.

Arsenal 3-0 Inter

Arsenal: van Persie (10, pen 41), Chamakh (50)

MOTM: Chamakh (8.9)

Ajax vs CSKA Moscow

Ajax CL so far: Ajax came 2nd in a group with Chelsea, Napoli and Zenit but weren't what you call outstanding. They lost 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in round 1, they then played 2 home games, winning 2-0 against Zenit and drawing 1-1 with Napoli. They lost 4-2 to Napoli and then 2-0 at home to Chelsea. They scraped through in the last game, beating Zenit 2-0 in Russia.

CSKA CL so far: No-one expected CSKA to qualify, facing Lille, Dortmund and Porto but they topped the group. A 0-0 draw in Porto led to a 2-0 win at home to Dortmund and a last minute goal by Vagner Love saw them beat Lille at home, Russia certainly a tough place to go. They lost 2-1 in France to Lille but that was it, they beat Porto 1-0 at home and Dortmund 1-0 away, dominating in Germany to progress as Group Winners.

The Match

Preview: The low profile tie of the round, Ajax have a few injuries, Vermeer has a torn hamstring, Bruno Silva hasn't recovered from a thigh strain, van der Wiel has a hip injury, young gun Eriksen has twisted his knee and El Hamdaoui has damaged his foot. A couple of key players are out for CSKA, Evgeny Aldonin has a sprained ankle, Tosic misses out with a virus and Necid has damaged his cruciate ligaments. For Ajax, missing Eriksen is a big blow to the Dutch giants and they'll be hoping Aissati and Sulejmani can be some sort of substitute for his creativity. Vagner Love and Doumbia should make it difficult for Ajax's defence and having support from Honda will make that even more so.

1 - A great cross by Mamaev on the right is headed onto the bar by Batalov, so close for the Russians.

9 - Janssen plays a free-kick to Sulejmani whose effort is deflected over for a corner.

9 - Insaurralde finds Ooijer who fires one over.

12 - Vagner Love tries one and it's tipped over the bar by Barreto.

13 - Doumbia with a great pass for Honda who tries to square it for Mamaev but fails with an overhit pass, what a chance!

14 - A loose ball falls to Aissati who shoots, Akinfeev somehow spills it but gathers at the 2nd attempt.

19 - Doumbia sets up Honda on the edge of the box and his effort is blocked for a corner.

20 - Batalov sends in the corner and Alexey Berezutskiy attempts a near impossible header which goes wide.

25 - Mamaev clips in a cross which is met by Vagner Love, Barreto forced to tip it over.

30 - A corner headed out to Vagner Love who shoots but it's wide.

31 - Enoh finds Janssen on the edge of the box and his shot is caught by Akinfeev.

36 - GOAL! Vagner Love has way too much time down the left and is allowed to cross for Doumbia whose diving header is saved but he gets up to smash in the rebound, 1-0 CSKA!

44 - Semberas to Mamaev who curls one but it's over.

45+2 - Half time

CSKA lead at half-time and you just feel Ajax need to win this match, going to Russia and winning will be very difficult, CSKA have been good value for their lead and look too strong for this Ajax side.

45 - Anita replaces Boerrigter at the break.

46 - The ball comes out to Sulejmani who hits a curler onto the cross-bar, so unlucky!

50 - Sigthorsson turns and shoots but blazes it wide for Ajax.

52 - Batalov sets up Honda who shoots first time, deflected behind for a corner.

62 - PENALTY! Batalov sends in a free-kick, a poor delivery but somehow Sulejmani fouls Vagner Love and the ref points to the spot, Ajax are furious with that decision!

63 - Ajax delay the penalty by bringing Lodeiro on for Aissati.

64 - MISSED! Batalov steps up to take it and hits the inside of the post, how crucial could that prove to be?

67 - A cross is headed out to Enoh who shoots but Akinfeev tips it round the post.

74 - Sulejmani is replaced by Bulykin.

81 - Alderweireld is booked for upending Doumbia.

83 - GOAL! Janssen finds Gabriel Silva wide open on the wing and his shot crashes in off the post, something for Ajax today it seems.

85 - Dzagoev and Schennikov are on for Carlinhos and Doumbia.

87 - Yellow for Ooijer as he trips Batalov.

90 - Odiah is on for Honda.

90+4 - Full time

CSKA may feel slightly ripped off with a 1-1 draw but it's still a great result in Holland, had they scored their penalty it would have been even better but Ajax have it all to do in Russia and were lucky to get a draw.

Ajax 1-1 CSKA Moscow

Ajax: Gabriel Silva (84)

CSKA: Doumbia (37), Batalov (missed pen 65)

MOTM: Gabriel Silva (7.4)

22/2/12

Man Utd vs Shakhtar

United CL so far: AC Milan proved to be their only obstacle in Group G, they also faced Olympiakos and Otelul, they won 2-0 in Greece to start before they suffered a shock Old Trafford defeat to Milan, they were keen to make up for this and demolished Otelul in both matches, 5-0 away and 6-0 at home, Hernandez bagging a hat-trick in the latter. They beat Olympiakos 2-0 at home to seal qualification before a 1-1 draw in Milan meant they came 2nd in the group, but they got a good draw.

Shakhtar CL so far: Shakhtar were given a pretty easy group to qualify from, Arsenal, Rubin and Udinese. A 2-0 win over the Russians and then a 1-0 win over Arsenal was a great start. Two wins against Udinese, 2-1 away and 2-0 at home guaranteed qualification. They beat Rubin 4-0 to secure top spot and could afford to lose 2-1 to Arsenal at the Emirates.

The Match

Preview: A couple of injuries for United, their main loss is David de Gea in goal, he has failed to recover from a sports hernia, also Michael Owen has a broken foot and Fabio a sprained ankle, his twin brother Rafael is suspended after getting a red card against Milan. Shakhtar have had a massive clearout of players recently and have a small squad, Julius Aghahowa with a chest injury is the only one that will miss this game. Man United are going with a 4-4-2 formation, Fellaini and Fletcher in the middle will give no time for Shakhtar's attacking force on the ball while Rooney and Hernandez should be an effective partnership up front. Shakhtar are going quite offensive too with Willian, Seleznyov and Douglas all looking to give Eduardo some opportunities upfront.

3 - Smalling sets up Fellaini who shoots first time and Pyatov makes a strong save.

4 - Douglas Costa goes for goal but it's easy for Victor.

10 - Goal disallowed for Shakhtar! Willian plays a lovely ball through for Eduardo who finishes but the flag is up, Seleznyov is furious with that decision, replays show that he was just onside.

11 - Park gets into the box and shoots from a tight angle but it's wide.

13 - Park to Hernandez in the box who shoots and it's deflected behind for a corner.

17 - A free-kick just outside the box which Fletcher hits but it's over.

29 - Park to Hernandez again who shoots but Pyatov makes an easy catch.

41 - Hernandez shoots from distance but Pyatov again makes an easy save.

45+2 - Half time

The main talking point was definitely Shakhtar's disallowed goal which should have stood but apart from that United have dominated but haven't made any good chances, Shakhtar would probably take a 0-0 here but United need to step up.

45 - Panchenko replaces Seleznyov at half-time.

50 - Evra's deep cross finds Rooney unmarked and he'll be disappointed to head it wide.

53 - GOAL! A well worked free-kick by Man United, Nani quickly to Smalling who slips a clever ball for Rooney who needs no invitation to smash it in.

57 - Rakitskyi to Rat who shoots from a surprising angle and Victor just gets a hand to it.

62 - Park cuts inside and shoots but hits it over.

66 - A blocked shot comes out to Panchenko who curls it but Victor is equal to it.

68 - Giggs comes on to replace Park.

71 - GOAL! Fantastic stuff by Vidic, a clearance comes out to the Serbian who plays a beautiful first time ball for Nani, sending him through and although Pyatov saves his first effort he can't defend the rebound.

72 - Double sub for Shakhtar, Luiz Adriano and Adamenko replace Zubenko and Eduardo.

73 - Rooney plays a lovely cross-field ball for Hernandez who shoots but it's blocked and Pyatov can gather.

73 - Panchenko does well to play in Luiz Adriano but Victor makes a good save.

75 - Kryvtsov hits one but it's not challenging anyone.

81 - Evra with a great ball to find Nani and he hits it just wide.

82 - Rakitskyi brings down Hernandez as he looks to break away and gets the games first yellow.

82 - Nani decides to shoot and it's a poor effort, he had bodies in the box there.

86 - Rakitskyi's free-kick is blocked by the wall and out for a corner.

87 - Willian makes a fabulous run into the box and tries to chip Victor, just over, what a goal that could have been.

90 - Douglas Costa trips Smalling and gets a yellow.

90 - Giggs' corner is headed wide by Vidic.

90+2 - Full time

Goals by Rooney and Nani give United a deserved win here but if Shakhtar's early goal had stood, it would have changed the game, the Ukrainians were threatening at times but didn't get the away goal they wanted.

Man Utd 2-0 Shakhtar

United: Rooney (54), Nani (72)

MOTM: Smalling (8.0)

LOSC Lille Metropole vs R. Madrid

Lille CL so far: Lille faced CSKA, Dortmund and Porto in their group. They started well, winning 1-0 at Dortmund and 3-0 at home to Porto, they went to Russia and lost 1-0 but made up for it by beating them 2-1 in France. However a 2-1 defeat at home to Dortmund and a 1-0 loss to Porto made them settle for 2nd place.

Real CL so far: It's fair to say they got an easy group, Leverkusen, Genk and Rangers were never going to be serious competition. They won 2-0 against Rangers at home, 2-0 away to Leverkusen in the hardest game of the group and then 3-0 at Genk. A Ronaldo hat-trick helped them beat Genk 5-0 at the Bernabeu before they got a 1-0 win in Scotland. A 1-1 draw with Leverkusen in the last game was their only slip-up as they topped the group.

The Match

Preview: A few players missing for Lille, goalkeeper Enyeama has a dislocated shoulder, Marko Basa has fractured ribs and Joe Cole has a damaged foot. Florent Balmont is also suspended for the French side. Real Madrid have quite a few people missing as well due to ineligibility. Jorge Casado, Juanfran, Joselu and most notably Luka Modric can't play. Sub keeper Antonio Adan has sports hernia and just couldn't make it. Youngster Daniel Carvajal has a dislocated shoulder, as does Xabi Alonso. Lille despite being at home are playing quite defensively, Eden Hazard is the main man with Moussa Sow ready to score. Real interestingly leave Ozil on the bench as Nuri Sahin starts alongside Khedira in the middle. Raul Albiol is picked ahead of Pepe in defence and Ronaldo, Kaka and Coentrao will be the attacking 3 to help Higuain, a very offensive minded formation.

25 - A very boring start to the game but it explodes into life as Lille hit Real on the counter with Hazard putting it on a plate for Payet who sees his effort tipped away by Casillas, what a chance!

26 - Hazard is allowed to turn and run to the edge of the box where he lets fly and Casillas makes another vital save.

35 - Khedira finds Higuain who shoots but only straight at Landreau.

36 - Payet jinks cleverly past Albiol and smashes it but Casillas makes another remarkable save, how are Lille not ahead?

45+1 - Marcelo plays it to Nuri Sahin who finds an opening and curls it and it strikes the cross bar, closest Real have come this half.

45+2 - Half time

Lille have dominated but haven't converted their chances thanks to a great display by Casillas, Real can so easily grab a goal here so Lille need to start converting or Real will probably beat them today or at least at the Bernabeu.

50 - Ronaldo makes a burst down the right and shoots from a very difficult angle, its wide.

53 - How close can Lille get? Great corner by Payet and the header comes from Rozehnal which hits the bar, so unlucky.

55 - Ramos is booked for bringing down Sow.

59 - Raul Albiol is injured and is replaced by Pepe.

61 - Kaka turns and shoots but hits it well wide.

65 - Granero comes on for Coentrao.

70 - Surprisingly Ronaldo comes off to be replaced by Benzema.

74 - A trip on Papa sees Khedira booked.

77 - GOAL! Finally Lille get the lead they deserve, Hazard whips in a lovely ball from the right and Payet easily heads in from close range, how will Real respond?

79 - Hazard is sacrificed as Pape Souare comes on for Lille who look to defend their lead.

84 - What a fantastic chance for Lille to double their lead, Payet makes a fool out of Marcelo down the right hand side and puts a terrific ball in, met by Sow and it hits the bar, the ball comes back to him and he hits an overhead kick deflected wide, how is it just 1-0.

88 - Kaka from the edge of the box but Landreau catches it.

90 - Bonnart comes on to replace Papa.

90+2 - PENALTY! Incredible drama here as Marcelo sends a cross in from the left which Landreau catches but the ref has seen a push by Asatiani on Higuain and has pointed to the spot! Ronaldo came off earlier so who will take it.

90+2 - GOAL! Heartbreaking for Lille as Kaka finds the top corner with his penalty and gives Real Madrid an invaluable away goal, how undeserved but they'll take it.

90+3 - Full time

Football is a funny game but Lille don't walk off the pitch laughing, a fantastic performance against Real but a last minute penalty by Kaka means they are very much at a disadvantage going into the 2nd leg, they should hold their heads high though, great performance!

LOSC Lille Metropole 1-1 R. Madrid

Lille: Payet (78)

Real: Kaka (pen 90+3)

MOTM: Payet (7.7)

1st Leg Results

Kobenhavn 1-1 Chelsea

Leverkusen 1-1 Barcelona

Man City 2-2 FC Bayern

OM 3-0 A.C. Milan

Ajax 1-1 CSKA Moscow

Arsenal 3-0 Inter

Man Utd 2-0 Shakhtar

February 2012 Update

I can't tell you much about Sion's season as I have not got the Swiss League loaded but I can tell you that their Europa League run came to an abrupt end after losing 1-0 home and away to Hapoel Tel Aviv. Nonetheless, a team in the top tier is enough of a challenge but now I'm facing one in Europe. Let's see how we do with pretty much a 2nd choice team. We started off dreadfully as a cross from the right was deflected into the path of Giovanni Sio who showed great quality with his side-footed finish, 1 down after 4 minutes, this was going to be a long night. However, straight from kick off we went on the attack, new boy Scharsching played a lovely long ball which found Freudenthaler cutting in from the left and his effort was well saved by the keeper. I wasn't to be left disappointed though as we did get an equaliser, Freudenthaler got a cross in from the left and Kaufmann made use of the loose ball by smashing it home after 12 minutes. We then had a great chance to take the lead, Freudenthaler putting some more great work down the left, found Templ in the box who could only hit the side-netting from 6 yards out. Our hearts were soon broken as we were hit on the break from a counter, that man Sio sure has pace to burn and he easily took the ball after a header away, approached the keeper and soon finished. It was clear that Sio was the man to watch, as he got past a defender and let fly again, only to be denied by a great save by Mandl. A bit more pressure by Sion and the half was over, 2-1 down and far from a disgraceful half, it was clear measures needed to be taken against Sio as he was ripping us apart.

Sion started the 2nd half as they ended the first, on top, a half-hearted clearance falling to Palankov whose drive clipped the top of the crossbar. Then a free-kick was swung in and met by Dingsdag but Mandl saved again. We weren't able to handle this pressure as a seemingly hopeless ball saw Sio reach the ball before Mandl but took the angle too tight and pass it back to Die who couldn't kill off our chances (;)) and was denied by Mandl. Sion's pressure soon told as a free-kick was nodded in by Sio for his hat-trick and suddenly the game looked out of reach. Sion wanted more as a corner was headed by Adailton which Mandl managed to tip onto the post, the keeper has certainly done well today, he had to be on hand again seconds later as a cross bounced off Mrdja and almost went in but for the keeper. We finally started to apply a bit of pressure as Templ found a clever ball for Freudenthaler who couldn't finish one-on-one, denied by the keeper. Sio however was clearly not happy with 3 goals as his 25 yard effort crashed in off the underside of the bar to surely seal it for Sion. Sio was on form and he soon scored again, a cross from the right found him and although his first touch seemed to take him away from the goal, he soon found the net via a deflection. Fortunately for us, that was the end of the Sio show as his 5 goals saw us fall to a considerable defeat. I don't think the scoreline fairly reflected the balance of the game and I can only think of what might have happened without Sio.

LASK: Kaufmann (13)

Sion: Sio (4, 20, 60, 80, 83)

Just 2 days after a huge defeat to Sion, we went to South America to face our feeder club (how?) Boca Juniors, one player I was looking forward to face was Riquelme, a player I've enjoyed watching over the years. I decided to change to a 4-4-2 and see how that works out today. I also played a fairly young team that can gain great experience from today, a strange decision by Boca saw them play with no subs despite having players available. Boca Juniors applied the early pressure but long-range shooting certainly wasn't helping them, the first real chance came after half an hour when Riquelme's delivery found Schiavi unmarked at the back post but he took a heavy touch, allowing Mandl to come out and smother him. Riquelme was certainly bossing things in the middle of the park and his pass sent Carabajal through but he skied it. It was us who put the ball in first though, Aigner playing a one-two with Murg and finishing but he was denied by the offside flag. The offside flag was to deny us again at the end of the half, we had a free-kick on the edge of the box, Murg layed it off for Aigner whose shot must have merely glanced off Winkler in an offside position and in but the flag was up to our dismay, we could have been 2 up against Boca Juniors! 0-0 at half-time and against opposition like Boca I'm surprised at how well we've played, a disastrous 2nd half would be fine, I'll remember the first!

It took us just 16 seconds in the 2nd half to have a great chance of scoring, Aigner and Murg linking up again with Aigner through on goal, however he couldn't keep calm and sent if flying over. We soon had another chance as Murg's corner was met by Barry from close range who somehow got it over. The game went quiet until late on we had a winner and unfortunately for us it went to Boca Juniors as a cross from the left was headed in by Matias Gimenez. Boca weren't done though, Riquelme showed his class with a good free-kick with Gimenez's centre-back partner Rolando Schiavi heading in to seal the win. We lost but I was immensely proud of the team for the performance we put in, 2 goals disallowed, an inexperienced line-up and having to play in South America made this day no easy task but they played well.

Boca: Gimenez (87), Schiavi (90+1)

Back home from Argentina to face another tough fixture, another Swiss side that experienced European football this season, winning 1-0 home and away against Swedish side Orebro to face Spartak Moscow in the 4th Qualifying Round of the Europa League, losing 4-0 away and 2-0 at home. Still a big threat to us though and this should be a tough match. Young Boys had the first chance as Rivas headed over a free-kick from close range. A bit later, they almost scored again, Costanzo picked out by a good pass and his shot was just punched away by Pervan, the Croatian keeper given a chance ahead of Mandl today. We almost took the lead in bizarre fashion as Rivas headed it back to his keeper, it almost crept in, almost very embarrassing for him. Bad news for us saw Vidakovic come off through injury, Christian Kluge replacing him. Another chance for the Swiss side as Costanzo turned his marker before his effort was met by a fingertip save by Pervan. We survived the first half at 0-0, fortunately Young Boys had no deadly striker like Sio for Sion.

The 2nd half began quietly and I was pleased to see that we decided to start playing football, our passing at times was a joy to behold but we couldn't turn it into chances. Young Boys almost led with 15 minutes to go, a deflected cross fell to Fromentin whose volley struck the post. Young Boys then had claims for a penalty after sub Music jumped unfairly according to Young Boys but it wasn't given. Young Boys had yet another chance from a cross into the box, Diserens somehow missing with a diving header when he was unmarked. The Swiss side continued to put pressure on us, Diserens finding an opening in the box and his drilled effort was tipped away by Pervan, a great save by our back-up keeper. However, we were to fall victim to yet another late goal, a corner was headed in by Rivas, we need to work on defending from set-pieces. That's how the game ended, it would have been nice to not lose for a change but oh well, life goes on. Good news was to come as Vidakovic's injury wasn't serious and he'll be back up and running straight away

Young Boys: Rivas (89)

On a brighter note, our Under-19s got a 4-0 victory over the Under 19s of Salzburg who are currently leading the Premier Division!

I decided to tone down the opposition after losing our last 3 games to regain some confidence as we face a team in the 'Vorarlbergliga', the fact I don't know what tier it is is a good thing which means we can win. However, this team notably beat Brondby in a pre-season friendly 2-1 this season so we can't mess around. The game started terribly for us, an unnecessary two-footed challenge on Wiethas saw Templ receive his marching orders leaving 18 year old Lukas Wurmlinger to lead the line on his own. Hochst took the initiative and went on several attacks before the half ended but nothing major.

We seemed to wake up in the second half and eventually Teigl's cross found the young Wurmlinger who made no mistake giving us the lead. We soon went 2-0 up as Kreuzriegler's cross from the left was turned into his own net by Johannes Ruepp. The game quietend down after that and eventually ended 2-0 to us. A boring game with just 3 shots on target.

LASK: Wurmlinger (51), Ruepp OG (64), Templ (10)

Our next friendly match saw us face another weak Austrian side in Wattens, they are in the Regional League West but we can't underestimate them, they are in fact in the Austrian FA Cup Quarter Final after beating Premier Division side SV Ried 3-0 in the 2rd round, we must be careful. We had the first notable chance after 18 minutes, Templ playing it through for Murg whose shot floated just wide of the post. We took the lead a minute later however, Vidakovic threading a great ball through for Murg and the hot prospect lashed it into the top corner. We could have had a second when Vidakovic did very well to spot the run of Ehrenreich down the right but his effort was saved by the keeper. Right on half-time we had another chance, Templ did well to pick the right moment to send Murg through but he couldn't finish. We went in at the break dominating and ahead but probably should be by more.

The 2nd half was incredibly quiet, not much to write about, we probably would have got more if Vidakovic hadn't treated this match as shooting practice but still a good win.

LASK: Murg (20)

Ok, I'll admit to something really embarassing here, the Champions League games were on the same day as this one and I made 2 other managers to watch the games for me, so I loaded up the game, forget to log myself in so the assistant played the match for me. I guess I can share the highlights though. We managed to take the lead after less than a minute, Niederhuber's cross was deflected but still found Teigl who headed home. We could have had another as Jorgic was allowed to shoot from the edge of the area, just wide. We had a goal disallowed after that, Vidakovic headed the ball down for Pollak who struck on the volley, it was saved and it fell to Kragl who scored but it was offside. Ostbahn levelled with their first shot of the game, Alexander Hickmann getting into the box and powering an effort past Mandl who could only get a hand to it. We had another chance when Niderhuber's cross was headed over by Teigl, he was unmarked. The 1st half ended quietly...

And the 2nd half began, Wimmer's ball forward found Kragl who saw his shot tipped around the post. The chances kept coming as Teigl's cross saw a loose ball fall to Danninger who got a great save out of the keeper. Danninger then got the ball to Scharsching and his powerful effort was tipped over the bar. Then we had a last minute chance late on as Scharsching's cross was headed over by Schellander but that was it, Ostbahn only needed one shot and we should have won this game but I blame the assistant as I was away :p

LASK: Teigl (1)

Ostbahn: Hickmann (22)

Our final winter break friendly saw us play a Regional Division Central side, we should win here and we certainly have the team to do it. Florian Metz suffered an early injury, forcing Scharsching to replace him. Our first chance came when Luiz Henrique gave it to Kogler who turned and shot but it was turned behind for a corner. We really should have taken the lead when Luiz Henrique sent Aigner through on goal but he placed his effort wide of the post. We did get our goal towards the end of the half as Scharsching set up Luiz Henrique to smash it into the top corner, quality strike. We went in at the break playing well and winning 1-0, more of the same please.

Another great chance at the start of the 2nd half, Scharsching headed forward a weak goal kick and Aigner was through but again hit his effort wide of the post. We then got a penalty as Zauner unnecessarily brought down Aigner in the box, Begic argued for St Florian but it was too late. Aigner kept his nerve and scored the penalty, 2-0. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere, St Florian got one back, a cross from the left just bounced off Barry and went in, an own goal for the American defender which ruined our clean sheet. We were not to be denied a 2 goal win though, Scharsching finding Aigner on the edge of the box who turned before blasting it into the top corner. a 4th came near the end as Schellander's cross from the right was headed in by Kogler. A good victory to wrap up the winter break, hopefully we can carry this form into our league matches. Bad news is that Metz has broken his arm and will be out for about 2 months.

Summary: On the whole I think a good break from the league, the match against Sion was pretty much a one man show and without Sio I think we stood a chance. We went to South America to face Boca and for an inexperienced team in an unfamiliar area we did very well, only losing to 2 late goals. We were fairly unlucky to lose to Young Boys as well. We did well against the Austrian teams though, managing 3 wins and a draw and putting in quite impressive performances.

Youth Candidate Day

Under-19 Squad (1) (2)

Youth Candidates

Best player in the candidates: Manuel Eder - 4 1/2 star potential, this guy was the only player with potential to come out of my academy, hopefully he can succeed.

Prediction: An absolute battering for the candidates, they have nowhere near enough quality to beat our current Under-19 squad which is full of incredible potential.

It was the Under 19s who started better as Mavraj sent in a great cross which Jackel volleyed but keeper Schagerl saved. They continued to apply pressure, Grubeck and Mustecic playing a one-two with the former having his effort saved by the keeper. Finally the candidates decided they wanted to impress, star man Eder gave it to Beckmann who saw his effort punched clear by Brunner, the U19 keeper should have caught it. There was a minor scare for the Candidates as Niederhuber's cross struck the post. The Candidates started to find their feet again and at times played quite well but eventually were undone by what should be described as a wonder goal, Sigmund bulleting in a free-kick from 30 yards out to give the U19s the lead. The candidates levelled almost instantly though, a Haas cross found Maier unmarked at the back stick but he could only head it over. That was it for the half and although they were behind, the candidates sure weren't getting hammered either.

The candidates started the half brightly, Eder's free-kick headed over from close range by Wagener. They continued to threaten with the U19 defence simply unable to cope with crosses into the box but the headers weren't too clinical either. The U19s had a headed chance themselves, Sigmund's corner was headed over by an unmarked Bauer. They had another chance as Mustecic got the better of Wagener and shot but the keeper made another top save. The ;ast 15 minutes didn't provide much and the game ended 1-0 to the Under-19s, far from the thrashing I predicted and only a wondergoal could separate the two sides, no-one stood out but the candidates put in a good performance, we'll see how many I choose to sign.

U19s: Sigmund (37)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 LEG 2

6/3/12

FC Bayern (2-2) Man City

Summary of 1st Leg: A very even game as shown by the draw but Man City's defence couldn't cope with Bayern on the break and they conceded 2 away goals, Bayern will have to look out for Aguero in this one as he scored twice in the 1st leg. City have a tough task here.

Preview: 2 injuries for Bayern, Lahm still has a torn hamstring and bad news for Bayern is that Gomez has fractured his ribs. For City, Kolo Toure and Onuoha are ineligible, Wayne Bridge has a lower back stress fracture and Nasri has a torn hamstring and misses the rest of the season. Tactically Bayern are playing the same as they did in the 1st leg but with Gomez injured, Olic gets a start in his place, Ribery returns from injury and replaces Pranjic. Jerome Boateng notably playing against his former club at left-back. Interestingly, City also play with the same formation but Aguero will be one of the 3 players supporting the striker which will be his Argentine compatriot Tevez, interesting to see how that works out.

1 - Toure to Aguero who shoots from the edge of the area but Neuer dives and catches it.

6 - Muller brings down Srna and is booked.

7 - Another booking, this time for Tevez as he trips Rafinha.

10 - Luiz Gustavo trips Silva, earning a yellow.

10 - Tevez to Aguero who hits it but its wide.

17 - Yet another yellow as Ganso brings down Schweinsteiger.

21 - So close for Bayern, Ribery swings in a corner which Breno heads against the cross-bar.

31 - De Jong is booked for a trip on Ribery.

39 - Srna trips Olic and is booked.

39 - GOAL! Bayern Munich take the lead, Badstuber plays a great ball to the left for Ribery who goes past Srna, through on goal and beats him at his near post. Two goals needed for City now.

45 - RED CARD! Is this it for City, Ganso fouls Rafinha near the half-way line and that's his 2nd yellow.

45+1 - Half time

Bayern Munich lead and look to have done enough to go through, the card-happy ref is not helping the flow of this game at all, can City do it?

46 - Srna curls a beautiful free-kick over the wall and hits the bar! Then Tevez sets up Silva who sees his effort turned behind by Neuer. So close for City.

50 - Muller pulls it back for Olic who just misses the goal.

62 - The ref sees a dive by Robben and he gets a yellow.

62 - Aguero finds Tevez unmarked but the shot is saved by Neuer.

63 - Silva's corner is headed over by Kompany.

64 - De Jong wins the ball in a great area and Tevez finds his way into the box and shoots low but Neuer makes another save!

66 - Bayern going defensive as Van Buyten replaces the scorer Ribery.

66 - Aguero hits one but Neuer makes the catch.

69 - Rafinha upends Clichy and we get another yellow.

71 - Kroos comes on to replace Boateng.

72 - Yellow number 10 of this match goes to Olic for shoving Toure.

74 - Robben turns into the box and is in a great position but completely scuffs his shot, a poor effort.

80 - Olic is off and Petersen is on.

89 - First change for City as Zabaleta replaces de Jong who has played very well today.

90+2 - Full time

So it's Bayern Munich who go through with a 1-0 win on the night but fair play to City who were a man down and can say they were better on the night but Bayern Munich make the quarter finals.

FC Bayern 1-0 Man City

Bayern: Ribery (40)

City: Ganso (45+1)

MOTM: Ribery (8.3)

A.C. Milan (0-3) OM

Summary of 1st Leg: Marseille simply dominated, AC Milan looked hopeless and Nocerino's red card summed up the day, they can win at the San Siro though so Marseille need to be careful.

Preview: For Milan, El Shaarawy is ineligible and that is added to injuries to Abbiati (hip injury), Yepes (strained knee ligaments), Gattuso (torn calf muscle) and Aquilani (fractured arm). Nocerino's red in the first leg sees him suspended as well. For Marseille, Brandao is ineligible and just 2 injuries for them, Diawara just misses out with a sprained ankle and Gignac also doesn't make it with a gashed head. AC Milan line up with pretty much the same attack they did in the first leg except that Flamini faces his former club instead of suspended Nocerino, Taiwo at left-back also faces his old employers and Amelia plays in goal instead of Abbiati. For Marseille, one notable change sees Valbuena drop to the bench in favour of Obraniak.

2 - Early booking for Nesta as he trips Remy.

21 - Finally a chance as Robinho threads a ball through for Pato who is through on goal but Carrizo tips his effort over.

24 - Robinho slips it in for Ibrahimovic but he shoots straight at Carrizo, this is the kind of finishing that put them at such a disadvantage.

38 - Kabore is booked for bringing down van Bommel.

45+1 - Half time

Marseille will be more than happy at the break, the quarter finals are within their grasp, they've shut Milan out and the home side will need a miracle in the 2nd half.

45 - 2 Marseille subs at the break, Morel and Figueroa on for Mbia and Obraniak.

52 - Taiwo brings down Amalfitano and is booked.

53 - Another booking as Ibrahimovic upends Kabore.

53 - Afellay sets up Lucho Gonzalez on the edge of the box but he fires wide.

56 - Amalfitano's free-kick is headed just over by Remy.

58 - Pato takes the ball round Escude and shoots, just wide.

63 - Robinho comes off and is replaced by Seedorf.

67 - Morel gets into the box and sets up Remy but he shoots straight at Amelia.

69 - Morel bursts into the area and drills a shot at goal which Amelia does well to save for a corner.

73 - Afellay puts Remy through on goal but his shot is saved by Amelia.

78 - Pato's shot is deflected behind for a corner.

80 - Double sub for Milan, Mexes and Bonera for Zambrotta and Nesta.

81 - Seedorf swings in a corner which van Bommel heads over.

84 - Flamini trips Lucho Gonzalez, both ex Marseille players in the book today.

85 - Taiwo puts a fantastic ball in the area and Ibrahimovic blazes it wide at the far post.

88 - Afellay is tripped by van Bommel and he is booked.

90 - Valbuena replaces Amalfitano.

90+1 - Full time

A deserved result for Marseille who clearly wanted this more than Milan, I'd say the French side deserved a win at San Siro but a fine display by Amelia in goal denied them that, on they go to the Quarters.

A.C. Milan 0-0 Marseille

MOTM: Flamini (7.3)

7/3/12

Barcelona (1-1) Leverkusen

Summary of 1st Leg: Leverkusen looked to have got their tactics right in the first-half, shutting Barca out and even taking the lead but Barca proved too strong in the 2nd half and got an equaliser, Bayer Leverkusen have to score today as Barca have the away goals advantage.

Preview: A few injuries to key players for Barcelona, Xavi has knee tendionitis and Iniesta has damaged cruciate ligaments, a big blow. Pique doesn't recover from broken ribs and even Hleb has a twisted ankle (yes he's still there). 2 injuries for Leverkusen, 1st choice keeper Adler has a damaged achilles tendon and Ballack has a groin strain. An injury to Pique for Barca means that Busquets has to fill in at the back with Mascherano playing the holding role. Sanchez returns on the right hand side as Barca look dangerous. Bayer Leverkusen are pretty much unchanged but Younes Kaboul notably returns from injury to play at the back.

6 - Castro's corner is headed over by Friedrich.

8 - GOAL! It's a terrific strike by Andre Schurrle, the German international cuts inside and bends a terrific effort past Valdes, advantage Leverkusen!

11 - Keita breaks into the box and shoots but Schroder saves.

14 - Messi gets past his marker and blasts it and Schroder makes an incredible save, tipping it over the bar!

17 - GOAL! It was coming, Barca have put a lot of pressure on Bayern and it pays off, Daniel Alves' cross is half cleared to Keita who drills the ball in to level the scores.

20 - Mascherano to Villa who shoots first-time but it hits the side-netting.

22 - Kadlec tries a free-kick but it's over.

28 - Castro to Barnetta who lets fly from a tight angle and it's just over.

31 - Messi plays a clever ball for Sanchez and he shoots but Schroder tips it behind.

31 - Daniel Alves' corner is headed by Keita and Schroder tips it over.

34 - Kaboul brings down Messi on the edge of the box and it's a yellow card, danger here.

34 - Messi floats the free-kick over the wall but it's an easy catch for Schroder.

42 - Mascherano trips Renato Augusto and gets booked.

45 - So close for Bayer Leverkusen, Schurrle shoots from a tight angle and Valdes saves but it's straight to Renato Augusto who somehow puts it wide, should be 2-1.

45+2 - Half time

1-1 at the break and Barcelona fans had their hearts in their mouths when Schurrle's effort went in but it seemed to wake up th Catalan giants who quickly got back level and a great display by Schroder in goal keeps the scores level. Bayer Leverkusen have gone close themselves and another goal by them would put Barca in a very bad position.

50 - GOAL! And it's Barca who lead for the first time in this tie, Sanchez with a lovely ball for Messi and he does what he does best, right in the corner.

55 - Daniel Alves impedes Schurrle and gets a booking.

55 - GOAL! The little magician does it again, he does really well to get past the defence before finishing past Schroder, you can't see Bayer Leverkusen qualifying now.

57 - Bender replaces Renato Augusto.

69 - Keita is forced off through injury and Thiago comes on, Leverkusen replace Kaboul with Omer Toprak.

72 - GOAL! Somebody tell me his secret, Messi turns past one defender, gets into the box and shoots from a hard angle and finds the far corner, hat-trick for Messi and surely game over now.

73 - Changes for both sides again, Barca send Pedro on for Villa and Bayer bring Sam on for Barnetta.

76 - Fabregas to Messi who turns and shoots, over this time.

77 - Fabregas plays it for Thiago who shoots wide.

79 - Adriano replaces Sanchez.

83 - KieBling holds back Puyol and gets a yellow.

83 - A header out comes to Thiago who shoots but Schroder catches.

86 - Daniel Alves' corner is flicked on by Adriano but it's wide.

90+1 - Abidal is booked for upending Sam.

90+3 - Full time

One player was the difference today and his name is Lionel Messi, obliterated the Leverkusen defence time after time and got 3 lovely goals to help his team when they needed him, on go Barca.

Barcelona 4-1 Leverkusen

Barca: Keita (18), Messi (51, 56, 73)

Leverkusen: Schurrle (9)

MOTM: Messi (9.6)

Chelsea (1-1) FC Kobenhavn

Summary of 1st leg: Kobenhavn put in a very good performance in Denmark with only an inspired Mata performing for Chelsea and earning them an away draw, this makes it difficult for the Danes but not impossible.

Preview: 2 injuries for Chelsea, Petr Cech has a lower back stress fracture and Sturridge has a hip injury. Kobenhavn are without Mathias Jorgensen who has damaged cruciate ligaments, Thomas Kristensen with a bruised thigh and star man N'Doye has a sports hernia. Chelsea start with Ramires in place of Meireles, Kalou will play on the right wing rather than Farfan and Torres keeps his place upfront. However the big news is that Paul Jones (grey player) will play in place of the injured Cech, how well will he do? Kobenhavn are going a bit more defensive than at home, playing a 4-4-1-1 with Vingaard playing behind Vukusic with Bolanos and Diouf to support from the wings.

3 - Lampard to Mata who tries a ridiculous effort which is well wide.

4 - Lampard shoots from distance but it's wide.

7 - Kalou slips a ball in for Mata but his shot is saved well by Wiland.

9 - Vingaard gets past Mikel and shoots and young keeper Jones spills it before Chelsea clear, nervy start for him.

24 - Lampard plays it to Kalou who cuts inside and shoots but it's straight at the keeper.

31 - Torres' shot is deflected and into Wiland's arms.

36 - Torres picks out the run of Kalou from the right, Wiland comes out and Kalou beats the keeper but hits the side netting.

39 - David Luiz sends in a long throw which Torres brings down and shoots but it comes off his team-mate and out for a goal kick.

40 - GOAL! Ramires does brilliantly to get to the byline and pull it back to cause a scramble in the box, Wiland eventually spills it giving Torres one of the easiest goals of his life.

45+1 - Half time

A 1-0 lead for Chelsea and you have to say they deserve it, Kobenhavn will have to work harder or this will be it for them.

48 - Ivanovic brings down Vingaard and is booked.

55 - Mata's corner is headed just over by Terry.

58 - Ottesen is booked for a trip on Ramires.

58 - Lampard finds Torres who shoots but Wiland catches.

61 - Mata sends a lovely ball in for Torres who can only hit the side-netting.

62 - It's a good thing I'm writing this as Kobenhavn replace Larsen with Larsson.

64 - Mata's corner is headed over by Torres.

65 - Mata cleverly gets into the box but his shot is well over the goal.

68 - GOAL! Chelsea putting plenty of pressure on them and it pays off, Torres sees Mata and passes to him on the left and his shot comes off the defender and loops over Wiland to surely send Chelsea through. Petersen thinks it was offside but it isn't given.

69 - Mata doesn't have much time to celebrate as he is replaced by Malouda.

75 - Two changes a piece, Chelsea bring on Meireles and Drogba for Ramires and Torres. For the Danes, Hansen and Absalonsen replace an injured Bolanos and Diouf.

77 - Meireles' corner is headed across by Terry to Lampard who heads towards goal and it hits the bar!

77 - David Luiz's long throw finds Mikel but it hits the side-netting.

79 - Drogba breaks into the box and shoots and Wiland does well to tip it over.

81 - Drogba plays it to Lampard who shoots but Wiland makes the save.

85 - Mikel to Lampard who shoots from range, just over the bar.

90+1 - Malouda with a through ball for Drogba but the keeper saves again.

90+2 - Full time

That's it, a dominant performance by Chelsea, they win 2-0 on the night but without the keeper it would have been so much more.

Chelsea 2-0 FC Kobenhavn

Chelsea: Torres (41), Mata (68)

MOTM: Mata (8.1)

13/3/12

Real Madrid (1-1) LOSC Lille Metropole

Summary of first leg, Lille put in an outstanding home performance against Real with Payet eventually heading them in front but all of their hard work went to waste when Kaka converted from the spot to give Real a great chance of qualification, Lille must score today at the Bernabeu which is no easy task.

Preview: For Real, Jorge Casado, Juanfran and Joselu are ineligible, they also have a few injury worries. Daniel Carvajal has a dislocated shoulder, Carvalho just misses out with a sprained ankle, so does Raul Albiol. Finally Granero just can't make it as he has a gashed leg. Sami Khedira also misses out through suspension. Just the one player missing for Lille as Marko Basa has fractured ribs. For some reason, new signing Luka Modric was ineligible for the 1st leg but is able to and does play in the Real midfield alongside Alonso, the same trio that faced Lille, Ronaldo, Kaka and Coentrao play behind Higuain today. Varane gets a rare start for Real with Pepe at the back. Eden Hazard shockingly doesn't even make the team for Lille with Joe Cole joining the attack with Payet and Sow.

9 - Modric sets up Alonso who fires a first-time effort but Landreau makes a great save.

10 - Alonso shoots from range but it's deflected, making it easy for the keeper.

13 - Coentrao gives it to Higuain who tries to shoot from a tight angle but Landreau saves again.

27 - GOAL! Real take the lead here, a ball into the box is headed away but Varane of all people heads it down for Marcelo who connects beautifully with the side of his foot to finish, advantage Real.

29 - Higuain breaks into the box and shoots from a hard angle but Landreau tips it round the post.

37 - Modric plays a great long ball for Kaka who cuts inside but Landreau saves his effort.

39 - Higuain gets round his marker and shoots but Landreau is there yet again to save it.

40 - Modric sets up Alonso to shoot from distance but it goes over.

42 - Marcelo is booked for tripping Sow.

43 - Rozehnal trips Higuain and gets his name into the book.

45+1 - Half time

The Lille players will be relieved to hear the half-time whistle, they've been dominated by Real and without Landreau in goal it would be so much worse than 1-0, they'll need to seriously up their game if they want any chance of staying in this competition.

59 - Cole is coming off injured, Jelen replaces him.

69 - Pepe is booked for tripping Jelen.

70 - Benzema and Diarra come on for Real, off come Modric and Higuain.

76 - It's been a boring half so far but finally a chance as Coentrao slips Kaka in with a clever ball but Landreau makes an outstanding save down low to keep out his effort.

78 - Kaka sets up Alonso from range but he smashes it over.

79 - GOAL! That has to be game over now, Ramos' cross is chested down by Benzema and the sub rifles it home to seal it for Real.

81 - Subs for both sides, Real bring off the first goalscorer Marcelo and replace him with Arbeloa, Lille bring on Souare and Balmont for Rozehnal and Papa.

88 - Ronaldo is in the book for a trip on Souare.

90 - Kaka is forced off with injury meaning Real must play the rest of the game with ten men.

90+3 - Full time

A professional performance by Real means that they'll go through to the Quarters, Lille were overwhelmed at the Bernabeu and deserve to be out on that performance, a shame they couldn't follow up their 1st leg performance.

R. Madrid 2-0 LOSC Lille Metropole

Real: Marcelo (28), Benzema (80)

MOTM: Marcelo (8.3)

Shakhtar (0-2) Man Utd

Summary of 1st Leg: United got a good 2-0 win at Old Trafford to set them up here, a controversial opener was disallowed for Shakhtar which could have made this a whole lot easier but they can't worry about that, they need to go for goals today.

Preview: Absolutely no injury worries for Shakhtar today, they come into this game with a full squad. United on the other hand have quite a lot of injuries to contend with. Fabio has a sprained ankle, Ferdinand a bruised rib, Jones has sports hernia, Nani has a gashed leg, Cleverley has a twisted knee and Michael Owen has a broken foot. Even Evra starts today despite having a twisted knee of his own. Eduardo only makes the bench for Shakhtar with Dentinho preferred upfront, Willian, Seleznyov and Douglas will look to trouble Uniteds backline. For United, Rooney and Berbatov will look to hold the ball upfront with Hernandez surprisingly on the right wing, Park, Fletcher and Fellaini make up the rest of the midfield as they attempt to put pressure on Shakhtar when they have the ball. De Gea only makes the bench as Brazilian keeper Victor gets the start.

1 - Willians long ball catches Park off guard and Dentinho is through but his shot is turned round the post by fellow Brazilian Victor.

7 - An early injury for Rat forces Lipilin on.

10 - Seleznyov finds Douglas who shoots but its high and wide.

24 - Rakitskyi trips Rooney and is the first in the book.

25 - Great chance for United, Chygrynskiy, under pressure by Berbatov plays a sloppy ball across which Rooney picks up but to the relief of the defender messes it up and puts it wide.

29 - GOAL! A vital goal for United away from home as Hernandez plays a lovely ball through for Roonet who rounds the keeper before finishing, that should be United through as Shakhtar now need 4 goals.

34 - Sotskyi shoots from distance but it's a poor effort and its wide.

35 - Douglas Costa shoots from a free-kick but its over the bar.

39 - Rafael's cross is headed well wide by Berbatov.

40 - GOAL! Is there hope for Shakhtar? Willian threads a ball in for Seleznyov who bullets it into the far corner to level the score on the night, Shakhtar deserve it too.

42 - Goal disallowed for United, Fellaini's shot is deflected into the path of Hernandez who heads it in but the flag is up. An incredibly tight decision but just the right one.

43 - And just like that, there is another goal chalked off at the other end, Seleznyov plays in Dentinho who smashes it into the roof of the net but the flag is up again, another close but correct decision. Seleznyov is livid with the referees assistant.

45 - Rooney to Berbatov who shoots from range and it's well tipped over by Pyatov.

45+1 - Fletcher's corner is headed over the bar by Fellaini.

45+2 - Half time

A lot to talk about, both sides will go in at the break thinking they should have had a goal but the referees have been spot on today, Uniteds away goal looks to have won them the tie but Shakhtar have been playing better and 3 goals is not an impossible task albeit very tough, the Ukrainians can't afford to concede again though.

45 - Giggs comes on for Berbatov at half-time for the Red Devils.

49 - A misunderstanding in the defence as Lipillin's pass comes off Chygrynskiy into the path of Rooney who shoots from range, just wide of the post.

52 - Rooney trips Sotskyi and is booked.

53 - Willian to Seleznyov who has an ambitious strike but its wide.

54 - Willian sets up Douglas Costa from distance and his effort is just about saved by Victor.

56 - Rooney gets the better of Lipillin and curls it but its over.

58 - Dentinho trips Evra and gets a yellow card.

58 - A very well worked free-kick by Shakhtar, one-touch football at its best, Seleznyov plays a one-two with Willian and his shot is saved by Victor who to his credit made the angle difficult for Seleznyov.

61 - Fletcher's cross is headed over the bar by Vidic.

64 - GOAL! A goal that surely seals the tie for United, Douglas Costa with a sloppy pass and Rooney plays in Hernandez who smashes it past Pyatov.

66 - An embarrassing moment for Lipilin as the sub comes off for Eduardo. United replace Fellaini with Carrick.

71 - Park attempts to break and is brought down by Sotskyi who is booked.

72 - Hernandez unselfishly sets up Rooney on the edge of the box and his shot is saved by Pyatov.

74 - Willian has a go but its easy for Victor.

76 - Both sides make changes again, Luiz Adriano replaces Dentinho who has picked up a knock and United replace Evra who had a knock before the game with Smalling.

79 - Douglas plays in Luiz Adriano who attempts a chip but Victor reads it and catches it.

82 - Douglas Costa curls one from range and its wide.

83 - A poor kick by Victor is headed forward by Willian and Evans can't get to it before Luiz Adriano but he can't keep calm and Victor makes the save.

84 - Douglas Costa's corner is headed over by Seleznyov.

89 - Douglas finds Luiz Adriano who shoots but Victor turns it around the post, great save, the keeper has put in a great performance today.

90+2 - Full time

United win on the night and on aggregate but Shakhtar were on top for large periods of that game and had more than enough chances to win it, United were clinical though and now progress through to the quarter finals fairly comfortably.

Shakhtar 1-2 Man Utd

Shakhtar: Seleznyov (41)

United: Rooney (30), Hernandez (65)

MOTM: Rooney (8.4)

14/3/12

CSKA Moscow (1-1) Ajax

Summary of 1st leg: CSKA put in a very impressive away performance in Holland and Ajax were lucky to come out of there with a draw thanks to a Gabriel Silva goal, the advantage is very much with the Russians in this one, can they do it?

Preview: Damaged cruciate ligaments for Tomas Necid is the only injury CSKA have to deal with for this one. A torn hamstring for keeper Kenneth Vermeer is all that Ajax are missing too. CSKA are sticking with the 4-1-2-1-2 that dominated against Ajax in Holland, Doumbia and Vagner Love will look to cause more trouble. Christian Eriksen is a welcome return for Ajax and he is joined in the attack by Thulani Serero the South African international and Aissati with El Hamdaoui on his own upfront.

4 - Ignashevich sends a free-kick well over the bar.

8 - Tosic shoots from distance but its an easy catch for Barreto.

9 - Aissati's cross is deflected and El Hamdaoui gets there before the keeper but can only hit the side-netting.

10 - Very sloppy by Insaurralde, losing the ball to Doumbia in the box but the Ivorian can only smash it at the keeper.

15 - Janssen threads a clever ball through for Aissati who rockets a shot on goal and Akinfeev makes an incredible save!

21 - Tosic's free-kick goes just over the bar.

26 - Honda is forced off with injury and Dzagoev replaces him.

27 - Vagner Love finds Doumbia who turns and shoots but its wide.

29 - Tosic shoots from distance but Barreto makes a fine save.

43 - Mamaev has so much room down the left and he cuts inside before seeing his effort saved by Barreto.

45+2 - Half time

CSKA will be satisfied that they are playing the better football and have the advantage due to away goals but one goal could change all of that so I'm sure CSKA will continue looking for a goal to give themselves a cushion.

53 - Aldonin is on for Tosic.

53 - Aldonin shoots from 30 yards and its wide.

57 - Boerrigter comes on for Aissati.

61 - Eriksen to El Hamdaoui who turns and shoots but its straight at Akinfeev.

68 - El Hamdaoui is replaced by Sigthorsson.

70 - Schennikov comes on for Carlinhos.

74 - Sigthorsson turns and shoots but its another catch for Akinfeev.

77 - Janssen's corner is headed over by Alderweireld.

82 - Ooijer is on to replace Insaurralde.

85 - Enoh shoots from distance but misses.

90+3 - A booking for Gabriel Silva for upending Vasily Berezutskiy and that should be that.

90+3 - Full time

CSKA Moscow will be delighted to be heading for the quarter finals, Ajax put in a good performance in Russia but didn't make enough good chances and are knocked out.

CSKA Moscow 0-0 Ajax

MOTM: Vasily Berezutskiy (7.7)

Inter (0-3) Arsenal

Summary of 1st Leg: Pure domination by Arsenal at the Emirates, Inter were hopeless, barely troubling Szczesny in goal. They have a hell of a job to do to save their European campaign but at the San Siro it is possible!

Preview: Quite a few injuries for Inter, Chivu is not risked with a bruised head, Lucio has a torn hamstring, Jonathan and Stankovic have a pulled hamstring, Muntari has a torn calf muscle and Jadson has a twisted knee. Julio Cesar however returns from injury to play in goal for Milan. For Arsenal, both Squillaci and Di Maria are ineligible for this match as well as a lot of injuries. Fabianski (groin strain), Mertesacker (twisted ankle), Ansaldi (fractured ribs), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Benayoun (fractured skull), Wilshere and Rosicky (double hernia) and Chamakh (broken jaw). Despite a poor first leg Inter line up with a similar team Sneijder playing behind Pazzini and Forlan upfront. Despite injuries, Arsenal can still field a very strong team, Gervinho and Ayew will be bombing down the wings supported by Sagna and Gibbs with RVP the target upfront.

1 - Sneijder's corner is met by Ranocchia and it hits the cross-bar, an early sign of intent by Inter.

7 - Cambiasso to Motta who strikes one over the bar.

12 - GOAL! A terrific counter by Arsenal sees Ayew make a fool out of Maicon down the left and his cross is met by Gervinho who has a simple finish, 5 goals needed for Inter now, it looks over for them.

14 - Motta tries again but its over again.

15 - Maicon's cross is headed over by Sneijder.

19 - Sneijder shoots from distance but Mandanda catches.

23 - GOAL! Tie over, Arsenal have had 2 chances and scored twice, van Persie unselfishly sets up Gervinho to his right and he actually mishits the shot but it hits Nagatomo and goes in, it'll go down as an OG by the Japanese full-back who gave away a penalty in the first-leg as well.

25 - Ranocchia was injured in the build up to the goal and is replaced by Kader Mangane.

29 - RVPs free-kick is deflected behind for a corner.

36 - Bad news for the Gunners as van Persie comes off injured, on comes Walcott now.

41 - Pazzini's cross causes havoc in the area and the loose ball falls to Sneijder from 6 yards out and somehow he smashes it at Mandanda, how did he not score?

45+2 - Pazzini in the book for a push on Sagna.

45+2 - Half time

As good a team as Inter are, I can't see them scoring 6 in the second half, Arsenal have been truly clinical and deserve to go through, Inter had more efforts but can't put them away.

48 - GOAL! Maicon's cross is headed home powerfully by Pazzini, game on perhaps? :D

50 - Gervinho to Walcott who has a go but Julio Cesar makes a good save.

52 - Sneijder slips a ball in for Pazzini but the defence recover and block his shot for a corner.

55 - A poor performance by Nagatomo in this tie sees him replaced by Poli.

56 - Arteta with a teasing delivery from a free-kick which Gervinho gets to before the keeper but can't keep it down

59 - Gibbs' cross is met by Gervinho but it's straight at the keeper.

62 - Vermaelen powerfully heads a cross away, so much so that Walcott is away, through on goal but can only fire down Julio Cesar's throat.

65 - Poli's night only lasts 10 minutes as he comes off injured, replaced by Obi.

67 - Sneijder has a go from distance and its just over the bar.

70 - Forlan pulls it back for Obi who smashes it over the bar.

73 - A blocked shot comes out to Gibbs who can only fire wide.

81 - Arteta plays it to Gibbs who shoots first-time but smashes it over.

84 - Forlan takes Mandanda by surprise with a shot from a hard angle but the keeper saves for a corner.

88 - Zanetti runs to the edge of the box and shoots but it's straight at the keeper.

90 - Djourou is given a run out in place of Arteta.

90+2 - Full time

A great performance over two legs by Arsenal to progress at the expense of a poor Inter side who can at least say they won the 2nd half of this match.

Inter 1-2 Arsenal

Inter: Pazzini (49)

Arsenal: Gervinho (13), Nagatomo OG (24)

MOTM: Gervinho (8.3)

2nd Leg results

Man City (2) 0-1 (3) FC Bayern

OM (3) 0-0 (0) AC Milan

Leverkusen (2) 1-4 (5) Barcelona

FC Kobenhavn (1) 0-2 (3) Chelsea

LOSC Lille Metropole (1) 0-2 (3) R. Madrid

Man Utd (4) 2-1 (1) Shakhtar

Ajax (1) 0-0 (1) CSKA Moscow (a)

Arsenal (5) 2-1 (1) Inter

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINALS LEG 1

27/3/12

FC Bayern vs Barcelona

An interesting encounter here, Barca are favourites but not guaranteed to go through, Bayern put in good performances to go through against Man City and a Messi masterclass helped Barcelona overcome fellow Germans Leverkusen, should be a good match.

Preview: For Bayern, only Lahm is missing with a torn hamstring, Barcelona only just able to field a midfield with Keita out with a sprained ankle, Xavi has knee tendonitis, Iniesta has damaged cruciate ligaments and Hleb just misses out with a twisted ankle. Keirrison is also missing with a torn calf muscle. Bayern are going with a 4-2-3-1 with Schweinsteiger looking to provide the ammunition for Muller, Robben and Ribery as Gomez plays upfront. Barca look to control the midfield with Fabregas, Mascherano and Busquets in the middle, Villa and Sanchez on the wings will support Messi upfront.

7 - GOAL! Barca take an early lead in Germany! Alexis Sanchez bursts clear down the right and centres it for Messi who taps it in at the far post, advantage to the Catalans.

10 - Sanchez puts a cross in and the ball falls loose for Villa but his shot is deflected which makes it easy for Neuer.

12 - Messi turns past his marker and shoots but its wide.

14 - Robben plays it to Gomez who cuts in and shoots but its straight at Valdes.

16 - Alexis Sanchez must be shocked at the moment, Fabregas plays it to him and he gets into the area before smashing it but Neuer saves, it comes back to Fabregas who gives it back to Sanchez who hits it again and this time it strikes the bar.

18 - Maggio trips Villa and is booked.

20 - Robben's corner is headed over by van Buyten.

30 - Pique finds Messi on the edge of the area but he fires wide.

32 - Ribery cuts inside and shoots and Valdes makes a great save, tipping it round the post.

33 - Ribery's corner is headed over by Robben.

35 - GOAL! Bayern are level, great corner by Ribery and van Buyten is up highest as his header goes in off the cross-bar.

37 - Messi gets into the area and shoots but its deflected and picked up by Neuer.

37 - Ribery cuts inside and shoots but Valdes saves.

39 - Villa tries a free-kick but its just wide.

41 - Contento pulls it back for Luiz Gustavo who fires one on goal but its wide.

45+2 - Half time

Its been a good half of football, Barca took an early lead but Bayern recovered very well to level it.

45 - Bartra replaces Daniel Alves at half-time.

47 - Luiz Gustavo is booked for a trip on Fabregas.

54 - Robben makes a great run into the box and goes for glory but its well wide.

55 - Ribery gets to the edge of the area and shoots but its just over.

57 - Olic comes on for Gomez.

59 - Fabregas plays it to Villa who turns and has a go but its a poor effort.

60 - Robben shoots from distance but its an easy catch for Valdes.

61 - Villa pulls a free-kick back to Messi who shoots but its wide.

64 - Fabregas to Messi who shoots from 30 yards but its over.

66 - Badstuber's corner is headed over by van Buyten.

67 - GOAL! Counter-attacking at its best by Bayern Munich, Olic makes a fantastic run, going past Pique before unleashing a devastating effort from the edge of the area into the far corner, thats what I call a super sub!

70 - GOAL! You can't keep Barca down for long, Villa plays a great ball for Messi who calmly picks out the far corner, 2-2!

72 - Kroos replaces Ribery.

73 - Muller with an ambitious effort but its well wide.

74 - Muller with a dream ball through for Robben who must score but picks out the wrong side of the post!

82 - RED CARD! Bayern are down to ten as Luiz Gustavo gets his 2nd yellow for a foul on Messi.

88 - Pranjic is on for Robben.

90+4 - Full time

Barca are the favourites after a good away draw today, 2-2 but Bayern put in a quality performance and it was Messi once again who proved to be Barca's saviour today.

FC Bayern 2-2 Barcelona

Bayern: van Buyten (36), Olic (69), Luiz Gustavo (83)

Barca: Messi (8, 71)

MOTM: Messi (8.8)

Man Utd vs CSKA Moscow

United will be very pleased with the knockout stages draws this year, drawing Shakhtar and then CSKA Moscow, they'll fancy their chances of going through but this should still be a tough match.

Preview: A couple of injuries for United, Phil Jones has sports hernia, Owen a broken foot and Wayne Rooney most notably has a pulled hamstring. CSKA have a few worries themselves, Honda sprained his ankle in the 2nd leg against Ajax, Ricardo Jesus has a sports hernia and Necid has damaged cruciate ligaments. Tactically, United line up with a 4-4-2, Berbatov and Hernandez are upfront in the absence of Rooney with Young and Park looking to give them help from the wings. CSKA change from their regular 4-1-2-1-2 to a 4-2-3-1 with Dzagoev, Doumbia and ex United player Tosic looking to support him.

1 - Doumbia pulls it back for Aldonin who has an ambitious effort which isn't too far off.

5 - Young plays it to Berbatov who shoots but its wide.

7 - Young's free-kick is headed over by Hernandez.

11 - Young's corner is headed over by Fellaini.

12 - Another set piece delivery by Young causes problems for CSKA and eventually Berbatov hits the post.

13 - Young's corner is headed just over by Berbatov.

15 - Hernandez turns in the box and shoots but its deflected behind for a corner.

16 - Young's corner is headed over by Hernandez.

17 - GOAL! Finally the goal that United deserve, Berbatov plays in Park with a good pass and the Korean keeps his composure to fire United in front.

20 - Carlinhos gives it to Aldonin who shoots just over the bar for CSKA.

26 - Young's corner finds Fellaini at the far post but he heads it straight at Akinfeev.

27 - Young finds Hernandez who shoots but again simple for Akinfeev.

39 - Park's cross is deflected and it falls to Hernandez from just 2 yards out and the Mexican makes a complete mess of it, a shocking miss as it goes wide.

44 - GOAL! A 2nd for United as Rafael floats in a good cross and Young who has been sending in great deliveries all day gets on the end of it to double United's lead.

45+1 - Half time

A dominant half for United and they lead 2-0 and I can't see them losing it to be honest.

49 - Young makes a fantastic run into the box before placing it just wide, what a goal that would have been.

52 - Double sub for CSKA, Schennikov and Alexey Berezutskiy replace Carlinhos and Vagner Love.

58 - Odiah comes on for Tosic.

64 - Ignashevich plays the free-kick short to Aldonin who hits it but Victor makes a comfortable catch.

66 - Mamaev is furious as he thinks his side should have a penalty for a foul by Fletcher, not given.

66 - GOAL! What an important goal that might be for CSKA, Dzagoev sends in a corner and it bounces off Evra and into the back of the net, a vital away goal for CSKA that changes this match hugely.

68 - Giggs comes on to replace Park.

69 - Berbatov plays in Hernandez who shoots but Akinfeev makes a quality save.

76 - Young's corner is somehow headed over by Berbatov.

88 - Semberas catches Berbatov with an elbow and gets just a yellow.

89 - Another yellow for CSKA as Schennikov trips Young.

90 - Hernandez picks up an injury but Ferguson sees no point bringing a sub on at this late stage.

90+4 - Full time

Well, CSKA didn't deserve anything here but they got an away goal which could prove vital in Russia. United will be disappointed that they couldn't get a more dominant victory but should still hold out in Russia.

Man Utd 2-1 CSKA Moscow

United: Park (18), Young (45)

CSKA: Evra OG (67)

MOTM: Young (8.1)

28/3/12

Arsenal vs OM

A fabulous display by the Gunners against Inter got them to this stage where they face a Marseille side who were just as impressive against AC Milan, 2 teams to knock Italy out of Europe take each other on, should be a good one.

Preview: 4 ineligible players for Arsenal, Fabianski, Squillaci, Di Maria and Chamberlain all unable to play. This is on top of injuries to Mertesacker (twisted ankle), Ansaldi (fractured ribs), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Benayoun (just misses out with fractured skull), Wilshere and Rosicky (double hernia), van Persie (sprained ankle) and Chamakh still makes the bench despite a broken jaw!! Just one injury for Marseille as Afellay has a thigh strain. For Arsenal, Steve Mandanda and Andre Ayew start against their former club as Park Chu-Young is thrown into the line-up due to injuries, apart from that the squad is pretty much the same. Remy will be helped on the attack by the trio of Amalfitano, Obraniak and Valbuena for this match.

10 - Remy looks to break clear of the defence but is brought down by Koscielny who is booked.

10 - Ayew has a go but it goes wide for Arsenal.

15 - Gervinho with a great ball for Badelj but the Croatian sees his effort saved by Carrizo.

16 - GOAL! Ayew swings in a corner which Koscielny heads in from close range, 1-0 Arsenal.

26 - Valbuena hits a terrific curler just over the goal.

30 - GOAL! A special one for Andre Ayew against his former club, lovely ball by Park to put him through and he smashes it into the back of the net, 2-0 now.

35 - Gervinho's cross finds Ayew at the back post but he heads it straight at Carrizo.

41 - Absolute mayhem in the Marseille area! Gervinho has a shot which is cleared off the line, hits the keeper, hits the crossbar falls to Koscielny who also hits the bar before its just headed behind for a corner, should have been 3.

45+1 - Half time

A great half for Arsenal and you can't see them even conceding let alone losing this tie, poor by Marseille on the contrary.

45 - Cheyrou replaces Obraniak at the break.

51 - Valbuena is booked for a trip on Sagna.

53 - A booking for Gibbs as he trips Amalfitano.

60 - Nkoulou brings down Ayew just outside the area, getting booked.

60 - Arteta's free-kick comes off the wall and almost catches Carrizo out but the keeper recovers.

61 - Valbuena with a lovely ball to send Remy through but Mandanda makes a quality save.

64 - Ayew gets another of his former team-mates book as Azpilicueta brings him down.

66 - PENALTY! The night gets worse for Marseille, Arteta with a lovely cross-field ball for Ayew who gets past Azpilicueta who brings him down. The Spaniard avoids a 2nd yellow though.

67 - GOAL! Great penalty by Arteta which may just take the tie for Arsenal.

69 - Azpilicueta who gave away the penalty comes off for Diarra.

74 - Subs for both sides, Chamakh replaces Park for the Gunners and Jordan Ayew plays against his brother as he replaces Remy.

77 - Chamakh slips in Gervinho who drills it at goal but Carrizo makes a great save.

82 - Double sub for Arsenal, Chamakh only lasts 8 minutes as he picks up another injury and Gibbs also comes off, Walcott and Djourou replace them.

89 - A great chance for Marseille to take something out of this, Lucho Gonzalez with a great ball over the top for Jordan Ayew who had a chance to join his brother on the scoresheet but missed.

90 - Bad news for Arsenal as Gervinho comes off with a serious looking injury and they have made 3 subs so play the rest with ten men.

90+3 - And Marseille again could have scored, Lucho Gonzalez sends the ball forward for Valbuena who chips Mandanda but its just over the bar.

90+4 - Full time

Arsenal looked very impressive again despite a whole host of injuries for the Gunners and look very likely to make the semis. Marseille need a second leg miracle.

Arsenal 3-0 OM

Arsenal: Koscielny (17), Ayew (31), Arteta (pen 68)

MOTM: Andre Ayew (9.2)

R. Madrid vs Chelsea

Both sides faced off against what should have been easy teams, Real took on Lille and Chelsea faced Kobenhavn, both sides were dominated away from home but snatching a draw before winning the home leg quite comfortably, Jose Mourinho obviously keen to face his former club here.

Preview: For Real, Jose Casado, Juanfran and Joselu are ineligible. Apart from that, they have a full squad. Chelsea have a couple of problems, 25 year old Matt Raper (greyed out) is forced to play in goal as Cech has a lower back stress fracture and Mikel has a sprained ankle. Reals line-up is looking deadly, Alonso and Khedira will hold and Ronaldo, Modric and Coentrao should have plenty of freedom to support Higuain upfront. Chelsea will play 4-5-1 with Torres up top on his own but should receive support from Mata and Farfan.

2 - RED CARD! Early drama here and this could be just what Chelsea need, Torres plays it through for Ramires who is brought down by Albiol and the ref sees him as the last man so has to send him off! Pepe is angry with the referee!

6 - Torres gets into the box and hits it but its well over the bar.

8 - Alonso plays a clever one-two with Modric before shooting at Raper who spills it before Chelsea clear, nervy goalkeeping there.

15 - Modric does well to play in Higuain but the shot is straight at Raper who catches it this time.

25 - Ramires sets up Lampard who fires it over.

31 - Ronaldo shows good vision to pick out Modric's run but the shot hits the side-netting.

40 - A blocked shot comes out to Alonso 25 yards and his fierce effort is tipped over by the keeper.

41 - Arbeloa finds Coentrao bursting into the box and his shot is just saved by Raper, coming in from all angles at the moment.

43 - GOAL! Alonso does what he does best, a lovely through ball to pick out Ronaldo who makes no mistake, 1-0 to ten-man Real.

45+1 - Half time

Real down to ten but in front as Chelsea are playing poorly, they should be taking advantage of their extra man but they're behind and need to do better.

45 - Varane replaces Khedira at half-time.

56 - Modric finds Coentrao who shoots but Raper saves.

57 - GOAL! The tie is running away from Chelsea, Modric with a free-kick into the box which Ronaldo heads in, the keeper should have done better but 2-0 Real.

66 - Modric and Coentrao are replaced by Kaka and Granero for Real.

67 - Farfan's cross finds Mata unmarked at the back post but his shot is well saved by Casillas.

70 - GOAL! That should wrap it up for Madrid, as one sub Granero threads a great ball for another sub Kaka who approaches the keeper before coolly slotting it in.

72 - Malouda comes on to replace Mata.

77 - Malouda breaks into the box and shoots but hits the post.

80 - Ivanovic's deflected cross is spilt by Casillas and Lampard is there first but he can only hit the post, really should have been a goal.

81 - Ashley Cole is booked for a trip on Higuain.

84 - Alonso sends another lovely ball through for Ronaldo but the shot is saved by Raper.

90+3 - Full time

Real show the world why they are a force to be reckoned with, down to ten men after 2 minutes, they still managed to win 3-0 and dominate a poor Chelsea side, I can't see Chelsea going through now. Mourinho will have a large grin on his face now.

R. Madrid 3-0 Chelsea

Ronaldo (44, 58), Kaka (71), Albiol (3)

MOTM: Ronaldo (9.3)

1st Leg Results

FC Bayern 2-2 Barcelona

Man Utd 2-1 CSKA Moscow

Arsenal 3-0 OM

R. Madrid 3-0 Chelsea

March 2012 Update

LASK Linz vs TSV Hartberg

We face the team 7th in the league as our winter break is over, we should get three points here but can't underestimate them. We had the first chance after 2 minutes, Unverdorben finding Aigner whose shot was straight at the keeper who fisted it away. Aigner picked up a slight knock for us and to avoid risk, brought on Kragl. Hartberg were clearly inspired and went on the attack, a long throw was flicked on and after a massive scramble, the ball bounced in off Winkler, it would have been an own goal but the ref saw a foul by Mytyci. A controversial call that went in our favour. We then took control again, Unverdorben finding Kragl whose shot flew just over the bar. We kept going and Vidakovic found Kragl with a great ball but he could only smash it at the keeper. Despite our dominance we went in at half-time 0-0, hopefully we could score in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half we didn't have quite the dominance we did in the 1st and didn't create much clearcut, even Hartberg had spells they were better and despite a late push by us, the score remained 0-0.

The team where my reign at Linz began, I won 2-0 in that match and will be hoping for more of the same today. It took a while for a good chance to come but it did when Schellander's cross found Aigner's head and the ball hit the bar, unlucky for us there. St Polten were showing signs of threatening and eventually took the lead when a corner was headed in by Robert Gruberbauer. We managed an equaliser though, prolonged pressure by us saw Schellander's low cross slid in by Aigner. The half ended 1-1 and I told the team to start giving the fans their moneys worth.

St Polten started the second half better, a couple of shots which Mandl caught but it was us who took the lead from our first attack, Unverdorben with a defence-splitting ball for Aigner who finished into the far corner to put us in front. St Polten could have levelled it, a one-two gave Vishaj a chance but his shot was parried by Mandl. On 62 minutes, St Polten thought they should have had a penalty for a foul by Winkler, nothing given. Aigner picked up a knock and I decided to take him off and give Murg his debut for us. St Polten were coming closer as Lucas went past our last defender and saw his shot tipped away by Mandl before Gruberbauer made a huge mess of the rebound and we got away with it. We managed to regain a bit of control after that and almost scored as Aufhauser's long-ranger was tipped over the cross-bar. We had a couple more chances but they didn't go in and that was it, we claimed three points after a pretty poor performance, I'll take it though. We remain third but consecutive losses for RW Linz mean we are just 2 points off top, this league is great to watch! I got my Steam achievement for ten games unbeaten too, besides friendlies I haven't lost yet!

LASK: Aigner (42, 55)

St Polten: Gruberbauer (35)

6 points behind us in the table but with 2 games in hand, at home this is more than a winnable game and am definitely aiming for the three points here. The game started quietly but the first real opening fell to the away side who took it, Mandl somehow spilt an easy catch and Marcel Toth put in the rebound to leave us in a difficult situation. Ehrenreich then picked up a knock for us, I decided not to take a risk, took him off and had to deal with his complaints. We managed to level it ten minutes later though, Teigl laying it off for Vidakovic from distance and it took a massive deflection off Erdzan Beciri and into the top corner, it went down as an own goal but they all count. We then managed to take the lead when Vidakovic turned provider for Aigner with a good through ball and he showed lovely composure to chip the keeper. The half ended 2-1 to us and despite being disappointed at going behind, the team showed great character to recover.

Our chances of winning greatly improved when Hart was taken down by a merciless two-footed tackle by Thomas Wagner who saw his marching orders, we should win it now I thought. Protests by Vienna amounted to nothing. They kept trying though and for Vienna, Kienzl's effort was just helped over the bar by Mandl. From there we went straight up the other end, won a corner, great delivery by Schellander and slid in by Teigl to surely seal the points. Late on Aigner picked up a knock, definitely don't want to risk him and Murg came on in his place. The game ended 3-1 in the end, a good result for us and well done to the team for coming back behind. And that result actually sent us top! BW Linz were held to a draw by struggling Hartberg and Austria Lustenau have a game in hand, fingers crossed they don't win! Even more great news was that Ehrenreich and Aigner will be fit to play next match.

LASK: Beciri OG (31), Aigner (38), Teigl (60)

First Vienna: Toth (20), Wagner (48)

Our match away to SCR Altach was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, we went 2nd after the results came in, 3 points behind BW Linz with a game in hand and equal goal difference.

LASK Linz vs FC BW Linz

One of the biggest matches of the season, the derby match which could decide the title, we are 3 points behind BW Linz with a game in hand so a win today would put us in a great position! The first half provided a great spectacle with both sides having chances, Aigner looked especially keen on getting a goal today, BW Linz attacked us at times as well but neither team could force the goalkeeper into making a difficult save come the break and it was 0-0, I knew we could win if I picked the right team-talk but would I?

We started the second half on the front foot, constantly attacking but again not putting anything away. I knew this could cost us and it almost did when Wawra's free-kick for the away team hit the cross-bar. The teams again tried to score but again failed to find the net. We then had claims for a penalty late on which Teigl was furious were not given for a foul on Aigner. The officials seemed to be against us this match as just a minute later Vidakovic slipped in Aigner who finished off the chance, replays show it was just the right decision. Aigner was furious! Neither side could make a breakthrough in the last few minutes and the game ended 0-0, if decisions went our way we could have celebrated a great win. A draw although not ideal, still leaves us 3 points behind with equal goal difference to BW Linz with a game in hand, a win would take us top in that match.

With our two title rivals, BW Linz and Austria Lustenau facing off as well today, 3 points here is imperative as we face the side currently bottom of the table, making a lot of changes as there are some tired legs as this is a midweek fixture but confident we can win, interestingly Lustenau 1907 are playing a 3-5-2 with a sweeper, guess we should exploit the wings. The game started as terribly as it possibly could, a free-kick was swung in, Aigner tried to head it behind, Ehrenreich for some reason tried to keep it in, smashed it against the post, it fell to David Witteveen who made no mistake leaving us behind after a minute. Then shockingly, Freduenthaler's corner found Winkler unmarked from a couple of yards out who somehow skied it! We bounced back though and found the net after Aufhauser's cross was headed in by Freudenthaler. We went into the break level and I was extremely unhappy at the manner of the goal conceded and would be furious if we didn't win it.

We almost led in the second half when Ali Hamdemir sent one over the top for Aigner who could only fire wide. We finally did take the lead 20 minutes from time as Aigner ran with the ball down the left and his cross found Unverdorben who broke his minor goal drought from close range to give us the lead. Lustenau 1907 almost levelled very quickly as a bizarre attempt at a cross by Holzmann somehow hit the cross-bar. But of course we had to let them score again after another crazy howler. Mandl spilt a free-kick into the box and Peter Stark picked up the pieces to level it. We did have a late attack as Aigner got behind his marker and shot but it was turned around the post. The game ended 2-2, I was furious, 2 stupid errors gave away a point, we can't afford to do that again. BW Linz won their match so they go 5 points clear at the top but we still have a game in hand. 2 shots on target, 2 goals for the away side FFS.

LASK: Freudenthaler (29), Unverdorben (71)

Lustenau 1907: Witteveen (2), Stark (81)

Summary: A decent month but 3 draws in it, we managed to come back from behind 3 times this month although the last time we wee held to a draw but we need to stop making silly errors in defence, we gifted bottom of the table Lustenau 1907 2 goals from terrible errors that a team aiming for promotion can't afford to have, hopefully we can stamp them out and get promoted at the end of the season.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINALS LEG 2

3/4/12

Chelsea (0-3) R. Madrid

Summary of 1st Leg: Real may have gone down to ten after 2 minutes but it didn't stop them completely dominating over Chelsea. 2 goals for Ronaldo and one for Kaka gave them an easy win. Chelsea sure have a mountain to climb in this 2nd leg.

Preview: Missing for Chelsea are Cech with a lower back stress fracture and Mikel with a sprained ankle. For Real Jorge Casado, Juanfran and Joselu are ineligible. A damaged heel stops Carvalho playing against his former club and Raul Albiol is suspended from his first leg red card. Chelsea are unchanged with Mata, Farfan and Torres the attack force again. Real leave their attack unchanged as well, only 2 changes for them, Marcelo and Varane come in for Arbeloa and Albiol.

4 - Ivanovic sets up Lampard but he hits it wide.

12 - Lampard's free-kick hits the wall and comes back to him, he tries again but it's blocked again, this time for a corner.

15 - Mata plays the free-kick quickly to Lampard but the shot is over.

20 - Pepe trips Torres and is booked.

21 - Marcelo is also booked for a trip on Farfan.

29 - Torres turns and shoots but it's well over.

30 - Coentrao's blocked cross comes out to Alonso but he can only put it wide under pressure.

35 - Terry trips Coentrao and gets a yellow card.

41 - Torres shoots from distance but it's over.

45 - Best chance of the game falls to Real, Modric swings in a corner which is headed by the Varane and the young Frenchman hits the post.

45 - Khedira finds Ronaldo who gets into the box and shoots but straight at Raper.

45+2 - Half time

Not a great game of football in the rain at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea are playing better but not getting the chances they need to score and Real look very likely to go through now.

45 - Two half-time subs for Chelsea, Drogba and Malouda for Cole and Lampard.

45 - Khedira to Ronaldo who shoots from range but its over.

46 - Torres finds a great ball to Drogba giving him a great chance but Casillas with a wonderful save.

48 - Drogba gets to the edge of the box and shoots but Casillas catches it.

53 - Higuain trips Terry for a yellow.

53 - What a chance for Drogba! Torres sends the ball across to him, Casillas is out of position but the shot hits the inside of the post and comes out!

54 - Drogba finds Mata who sneaks a shot in and hits the bar! How much closer can Chelsea get??

66 - GOAL! Pinball in the Real Madrid area and the ball eventually falls to Torres whose shot comes off a defender and goes in, a happy moment for the ex Atletico player but will they get more?

67 - Arbeloa replaces Coentrao.

71 - David Luiz pulls the shirt of Pepe, yellow card.

73 - Diarra is brought on for Modric.

73 - Yellow for Essien after a trip on Ronaldo.

74 - GOAL! And just as Chelsea were beginning to believe too, Arbeloa just sends one over the top for Higuain who rounds Raper before finishing off, that should send Real through now.

76 - Alex replaces Essien for Chelsea.

82 - Mata's corner is headed over by David Luiz.

88 - Drogba sends a free-kick over the bar.

90 - Ronaldo's cross finds Marcelo at the back post but the header is saved by Raper.

90+1 - Full time

A valiant 2nd leg effort by Chelsea, they started to believe when Torres gave them the lead but route 1 gave Real an equaliser on the night and they go through to the semis.

Chelsea 1-1 R. Madrid

Chelsea: Torres (67)

Real: Higuain (75)

MOTM: Terry (7.3)

OM (0-3) Arsenal

Summary of 1st Leg: Arsenal go to France with the tie pretty much wrapped up. Marseille are playing for pride but you never know in football, they could be out for revenge!

Preview: For Marseille, Brandao is ineligible. Bracigliano can't play with a strained wrist and Afellay just can't recover from a thigh strain. As far as Arsenal are concerned, still injuries galore. Fabianski, Squillaci, Di Maria and Chamberlain were already ineligible. On top of that, Mertesacker (twisted ankle), Torosidis (broken nose), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Wilshere and Rosicky (double hernia), Gervinho (torn calf muscle), van Persie (sprained ankle) and Walcott (flu) all unable to play. Ansaldi just misses out with fractured ribs and Chamakh makes the bench despite a bruised rib. Marseille decide to go with a more secure 4-5-1 today with Amalfitano and Obraniak looking to supply Remy. With injuries come opportunities and this is a big one for Ryo Miyaichi who starts in place of the injured Gervinho, Djourou replaces the suspended Koscielny at the back but they are otherwise unchanged.

4 - Cheyrou gives it to Amalfitano who fires wide.

7 - GOAL! Ayew gives it to Arteta who sneaks his way into the box and his shot is just out of Carrizo's reach, tie over unless Marseille score 5.

10 - GOAL! Marseille level it on the night, Lucho Gonzalez plays it through for Remy after a good passing move and he places it well beyond Mandanda's reach.

16 - Cheyrou's free-kick is headed over by Escude.

30 - Arteta's free-kick is headed over by Vermaelen, that was a chance.

32 - Goal disallowed for Arsenal, Badelj puts in a lovely cross which Ayew gets his head to and scores but is denied a goal on his return to Marseille by the flag. A difficult decision but the right one in the end. Park is certainly not happy with that decision.

33 - The ball is squeezed through to Cheyrou who rockets a shot on goal which Mandanda tips over.

42 - Kabore comes on to replace an injured Fanni (childish snigger)

44 - The Marseille fans cheer as Ayew is booked for bringing down Kabore.

44 - Obraniak's free-kick is headed over the bar by Escude.

45+2 - Half time

The away goal by Arteta has sealed it for Arsenal, no doubt about it. I very much doubt Marseille will score 4 more in the 2nd half, at least they got one tonight.

45 - Diarra comes off at the break and on comes Jordan Ayew.

49 - Obraniak sets up Cheyrou who hits one over the bar.

50 - Amalfitano's blocked shot falls to Remy who has a go but Mandanda makes the save.

53 - Cheyrou shoots from distance but its easy for Mandanda.

63 - Vermaelen is booked for tripping Remy.

65 - Amalfitano's cross causes panic in the area and eventually Cheyrou heads it just over.

67 - Chamakh is on for Park.

67 - Figueroa is booked for tripping Miyaichi.

67 - Arsenal with a clever free-kick, Arteta plays it to Badelj who shoots but Remy makes a goal-line clearance.

74 - Badelj trips Cheyrou, yellow card.

75 - Sagna plays it to Miyaichi who turns in the box and shoots but its wide.

79 - A trip by Miyaichi on Escude sees him booked.

81 - Gibbs' cross finds Miyaichi in a great position but he volleys it over, should have done better.

88 - Andre Ayew shoots from the edge of the box but it's deflected behind for a corner.

90 - Andre Santos is a late sub for Miyaichi. Lucho Gonzalez is forced off through injury for Marseille but with no subs, they have to play with ten.

90 - Cheyrou with a great ball over the top for Remy who is through but gets too close to Mandanda who stops him.

90+4 - Full time

A professional performance by Arsenal means they go through quite comfortably despite the amount of injuries Arsene Wenger had to deal with. Marseille will be happy they didn't lose on the night and had a goal to celebrate.

OM 1-1 Arsenal

OM: Remy (11)

Arsenal: Arteta (8)

MOTM: Vermaelen (7.6)

4/4/12

CSKA Moscow (1-2) Man Utd

Summary of 1st Leg: United put in a dominant performance against the Russians but an own goal by Evra changed the tie completely and now CSKA will have faith that they can pull off an upset here!

Preview: For CSKA, Honda has a sprained ankle, Ricardo Jesus has a sports hernia and Necid has damaged cruciate ligaments. For United Jones just misses out with a sports hernia, Anderson has an achilles tendonitis and Morrison has a hernia. They're also depleted in the attack, Owen has a broken foot, Rooney has a pulled hamstring and Hernandez has a gashed leg. CSKA are reverting to the 4-1-2-1-2 they used in the knockout stages, Vagner Love and Doumbia will play upfront with Dzagoev in behind them. United stick with 4-4-2 with Nani and Giggs replacing Young and Park on the wings but Young today will play as a striker alongside Berbatov due to injuries upfront, should be interesting.

1 - Doumbia shoots from a tight angle but it hits the side-netting.

2 - Berbatov makes a great run into the box before his shot is saved by Akinfeev for a corner.

8 - Berbatov plays a great ball to send Young through but he dwells too long on the shot and it deflects behind for a corner.

9 - Nani's corner finds Fellaini but he heads it over.

18 - This time its Giggs who picks out Fellaini from a corner but again it ends up over.

20 - GOAL! CSKA take the lead, Vagner Love slips in Doumbia and the Ivorian makes no mistake to give CSKA the lead and if it stays like this, CSKA will go through at the expense of last years finalists.

23 - Fellaini to Nani who hits one but it's well over the bar.

26 - Dzagoev hits a free-kick just over the bar.

35 - Dzagoev finds Doumbia who shoots but its straight at Victor.

38 - Ferdinand with a great ball from a free-kick which sees Nani get behind the defence but his powerful effort is somehow saved by Akinfeev.

41 - Berbatov with a clever ball for Nani who shoots straight at Akinfeev.

45 - Young shoots from outside the box but it's wide.

45+2 - Half time

I'm sure Sir Alex will be fuming at his team now as they are currently losing to CSKA on the away goals rule, they'll need to go all out to score in the 2nd half or they'll be out.

45 - Interesting sub by Sir Alex as Diouf comes on to replace Young.

46 - Vagner Love shoots from the edge of the box but Victor catches.

48 - Evra is booked for a trip on Semberas.

49 - Fellaini with a good ball for Berbatov but he can't keep the shot down.

51 - Vidic trips Vagner Love and is booked.

51 - Mamaev with a great ball for Vagner Love who curls it over, what a chance.

56 - GOAL! United level the scores, Berbatov with a phenomenal ball for Mame Diouf who smashes it into the roof of the net, great sub by Sir Alex and United now are on their way to the semis.

62 - GOAL! It looks like United are heading through, Fellaini has a hopeful strike from 30 yards but Akinfeev makes a mess of it and it goes in.

63 - Aldonin is on for United old boy Tosic.

68 - Poor passing by CSKA let Nani have a curler which just misses the far corner.

71 - Fletcher spots the run of Giggs from the left and his shot is turned around the post.

74 - 2 subs for CSKA, Odiah and Schennikov replace Carlinhos and Semberas. United bring Carrick on for Fellaini.

75 - GOAL! United surely have it now, Giggs' runs down the left and is cross is met by Diouf who smashes it home, hat-trick on perhaps.

77 - Evans is on for Ferdinand.

79 - Mamaev finds Doumbia who shoots but Victor makes an easy catch.

82 - Vagner Love pulls it back to Doumbia who shoots but its more catching practice for the keeper.

90+1 - Full time

That's it, United become the 2nd English side in the semis, they were behind and looked to be heading out at half-time but a classic Fergie team-talk and a great performance by Diouf get them through quite comfortably.

CSKA Moscow 1-3 Man Utd

CSKA: Doumbia (21)

United: Diouf (57, 76), Fellaini (62)

MOTM: Diouf (8.7)

Barcelona (2-2) FC Bayern

Summary of 1st Leg: Bayern Munich put in an impressive performance at home to Barcelona but that isn't always enough as 2 Messi goals earned them an away draw, Bayern Munich will have to be on top form to go through today.

Preview: Injuries for Barcelona are Keita (sprained ankle), Iniesta (damaged cruciate ligaments) and Keirrison (torn calf muscle). Also just missing out are Puyol (stubbed toe) and Xavi (knee tendonitis). For Bayern, just one injury as Lahm just misses out with a torn hamstring. Luiz Gustavo is suspended after his 1st leg red card. One change for Barca as Marc Bartra plays the biggest game of his life as Puyol is injured. Bayern replace Gomez with Olic who scored a memorable goal in the first-leg, Tymoschuk comes in for the suspended Luiz Gustavo.

8 - Bartra seemed to get caught up in the occasion as he makes a poor header in the box which Muller heads down for Olic but he tries a bicycle kick and its over, if he tried that without being spectacular, he might have scored.

9 - GOAL! Great football by Barcelona eventually sees Messi put through Villa and he finishes the move off.

18 - Pique with a clever backheel for Fabregas who fires it wide.

19 - GOAL! Great skill by Messi to make a fool out of the defence and he scores as Barca are going for a big win today.

24 - GOAL! Messi plays it to Busquets who does really well to turn into the box and drill it past Neuer, humiliation for Bayern Munich.

25 - Bayern go straight on the attack from kick-off and Ribery splits the defence open, finding Olic who sees his effort tipped around the post.

29 - Messi tries one of his trademark chips but it bounces just wide of the post.

32 - Messi does really well to cut inside from the let and shoots but it's wide.

33 - GOAL! Bayern do get one back, Ribery threads a ball through for Olic who smashes home.

36 - Messi finds Sanchez who shoots but Neuer saves.

38 - Muller has a shot which goes embarrassingly wide.

42 - Busquets heads it to Villa who hits on the volley but it's tipped over.

43 - Daniel Alves' corner is headed over by Pique.

43 - Robben plays in Olic who shoots and Valdes makes the save.

45+1 - GOAL! Game on at the Camp Nou! Ribery plays the ball across for Robben who finds the net, from 3-0 down Bayern Munich might now have a great chance of going through, just one goal needed.

45+2 - Half time

Barca went 3-0 up and looked to be cruising to victory but Bayern Munich have done really well to go into half-time at 3-2, another goal and they are through on away goals. Will Barca wake up?

54 - Daniel Alves' corner is headed wide by Pique.

61 - Van Buyten replaces Breno.

62 - GOAL! A great passing move by Barca with Busquets playing it to Messi who has a simple finish, a bit of hope lost for Bayern.

64 - Bayern look to respond instantly as Rafinha's cross is headed over by Ribery.

65 - Messi plays it through for Villa but his shot is saved by Neuer.

70 - Contento is on for Boateng.

70 - Messi shoots from a tight angle and Neuer saves.

75 - GOAL! That surely seals Barca's victory, Villa sends the ball for Fabregas who side-foots it onto the post, it comes out to Messi who taps it in for his hat-trick.

77 - Villa heads it in there for Messi who brings it down and shoots wide.

84 - Maggio comes on to replace Rafinha.

88 - GOAL! Six for Barca now, Daniel Alves pulls the corner back to Messi on the edge of the box and his shot comes off Pique and goes in, the goal goes to the centre-back.

89 - Pedro replaces Villa for Barca.

90+2 - Full time

Barca started very well going 3-0 up, Bayern did well to score twice but the attack of Barcelona showed as they end up 6-2 winners on the night and 8-4 on aggregate.

Barcelona 6-2 FC Bayern

Barca: Villa (10), Messi (20, 63, 76), Busquets (25), Pique (88)

Bayern: Olic (34), Robben (45+2)

MOTM: Messi (9.9)

2nd Leg Results

R. Madrid (4) 1-1 (1) Chelsea

Arsenal (4) 1-1 (1) OM

Man Utd (5) 3-1 (2) CSKA Moscow

FC Bayern (4) 2-6 (8) Barcelona

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINALS LEG 1

17/4/12

Man Utd vs Arsenal

The good news for English fans is an English team will make it to the final, the bad news is that it won't be an all English final, United vs Arsenal has always been an interesting game but the two sides have never made it to this stage before, both sides confidently dispatched of their opponents in the knockout stages although United did get an easy run, this should be a match.

Preview: A broken finger for United keeper Victor means he'll miss out, as well as Fabio (sports hernia), Anderson (achilles tendonitis), Morrison (hernia) and Owen (broken foot). Rooney makes the bench despite a pulled hamstring. Fabianski, Di Maria and Chamberlain are ineligible for the Gunners with injuries to Squillaci (sprained ankle), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Wilshere (double hernia), Gervinho (torn calf muscle) and van Persie (sprained ankle). Rosicky just misses out with a double hernia. United line up with a 4-4-2, Nani and Giggs are on the wings and Fletcher and Fellaini in the middle will look to stop Arsenals attack, Berbatov and Hernandez up-front will hope to link up. Arsenal continue with their 4-5-1, Walcott and Ayew will use their pace down the wings and Chamakh should have more than enough support up front.

3 - Giggs' shot is blocked but it falls to Hernandez who heads it over.

21 - Chamakh plays a great one-two with Ayew and has a great chance but puts it wide.

24 - Fellaini sets up Nani who shoots from distance, forcing a great save out of Mandanda.

30 - Fellaini is booked for a trip on Song.

31 - Hernandez does very well to cut inside and shoot but it hits the cross-bar. Berbatov then sets up Fletcher on the edge of the area who hits it over.

39 - Fletcher gives it to Hernandez who turns and shoots just wide.

45+2 - Half time

United have had the better half, they will be disappointed with the amount of chances they've created though and should be looking to make more in the second half.

45 - Rooney comes on at the break for Berbatov.

46 - Giggs sets up Nani from a free-kick who drills it just wide of the post.

49 - Arteta shoots from distance, forcing a great stop from fellow Spaniard De Gea.

50 - Nani shoots from a way out and it's wide.

51 - Sagna makes a terrible mistake, losing the ball to Hernandez in the area but Mandanda comes out to bail his French compatriot out.

52 - Ayew upends Rafael and is booked, the ref indicates it is for more than this foul.

53 - Vidic finds Fellaini who shoots but Mandanda stops it again.

54 - Nani shoots from a tight angle but it's over, slightly selfish there.

56 - Fellaini gives it to Nani who has a first-time shot but it goes over.

68 - Rafael from distance, well over the goal.

70 - Ansaldi's corner is headed wide by Mertesacker.

71 - Ayew slips in Walcott who has a great chance but puts it wide.

73 - Arteta has a go which is wide.

74 - That's Arteta's last action as he is replaced by Djourou. Park is on for Fellaini for United.

85 - Valencia replaces Nani.

89 - Fletcher shoots from a way out but it hits the side-netting. Meanwhile Rooney thinks he should have had a penalty after a Mertesacker foul.

90 - Mertesacker escapes the penalty appeals as Koscielny is on for him.

90+2 - Ferdinand trips Chamakh and gets a yellow card.

90+4 - Full time

A disappointing evening for United who come out of Old Trafford without a goal, they need a result in the Emirates but a heroic performance in goal by Mandanda gives Arsenal a great chance of qualification.

MOTM: Evra (8.1)

18/4/12

Barcelona vs R. Madrid

El Clasico is always a largely anticipated encounter but with a place in Munich for the Champions League final at stake, this will be even more heated than ever. Barca take on Real as both managers have Champions League winning experience. Guardiola has won it twice with Barca and Mourinho has won it with Porto and Inter. This is sure to be a great match.

Preview: A few injuries for Barcelona, Iniesta has damaged cruciate ligaments, Fabregas has a pulled hamstring and Keirrison has a torn calf muscle. Jorge Casado, Juanfran and Joselu are ineligible for this match, injuries for them are Daniel Carvajal (strained wrist)and Pepe (fractured cheekbone). Raul Albiol is still suspended for Real. Barcelona will play with their standard formation with Villa, Sanchez and Messi the main attackers. A welcome return for the Catalan side is that of Xavi who plays alongside Mascherano and Busquets in the midfield. If it ain't broke don't fix it for Real Madrid, the same midfield and forward players Alonso, Khedira, Ronaldo, Modric, Coentrao and Higuain seem to be Mourinho's favourite selection.

18 - Khedira trips Xavi and is booked.

23 - A quiet start to this game but Messi plays in Sanchez who should score but smashes it over.

24 - Sanchez is guilty of missing another chance, he does well to turn past Carvalho before shooting but Casillas saves, the rebound comes back to him but he skies it.

29 - Modric spots Victor Valdes off his line and chips him but its just over the bar, clever thinking.

34 - Pique is booked for upending Higuain.

42 - Mascherano gets a yellow for tripping Khedira.

42 - GOAL! Barca make the breakthrough here, Messi chips a ball in from the left with Sanchez heading it from a few yards out but somehow Casillas saves it, it falls to Villa though who finishes it off.

45 - RED CARD! Well I said this would be a heated match and I was right, Daniel Alves chops down Modric with two feet and the Brazilian is sent off, is this what Real need?

45 - Barca respond to the red by bringing off Sanchez and on comes Keita.

45+2 - Xavi does well to find Messi who gets into the area but shoots well wide.

45+3 - GOAL! It's Real who level it right on the break!! Marcelo's cross is poorly cleared and it comes to Higuain whose shot is somehow saved by Valdes, it falls to Higuain again and Valdes somehow recovers to save it again but this time it falls to Ronaldo who buries it in the corner, a Real away goal which could send them through.

45+5 - Half time

Barca started well, taking the lead but a moment of madness by Dani Alves has put Real Madrid in the ascendancy and a Ronaldo equaliser may not be the last goal Real score here, a big risk for the holders tonight.

45 - Real take just 16 seconds from kick-off to come close to taking the lead, Higuain plays in Khedira who drills a shot on goal but Valdes makes a great save.

47 - Alonso sets up Ronaldo who smashes one but it hits the underside of the crossbar and bounces out, so close again!

54 - Keita the sub is forced off injured and is replaced by Pedro. Diarra replaces Coentrao for Real.

57 - GOAL! Real Madrid take a shock lead on the night! Ramos' cross bounces in off Busquets and Real Madrid look ever closer to knocking out their rivals.

59 - Adriano comes on for Xavi.

62 - Adriano's free-kick finds Villa unmarked but his shot hits the post.

64 - Messi gets into the box and shoots, straight at the keeper.

65 - GOAL! Higuain's cross finds Ronaldo who shoots from a tight angle and finishes, is that it for the Barcelona? It would be a great day for Ronaldo if he could score again.

70 - GOAL! Real Madrid are running rampant here! Modric pulls the corner back to Higuain on the edge of the area who curls it into the top corner.

72 - Modric is replaced by Arbeloa.

73 - Ronaldo's free-kick is deflected for a corner.

74 - Puyol is booked for upending Higuain.

76 - Messi finds Villa who shoots it over.

81 - A long Ramos throw is flicked on by Varane and headed just over by Higuain.

90+3 - Full time

An absolute catastrophe of a 2nd half by Barcelona sees them demolished at the Nou Camp, Ronaldo and co know they have one foot in the final after a tremendous effort.

Barcelona 1-4 R. Madrid

Barca: Villa (43), Daniel Alves (45+1)

Real: Ronaldo (45+4, 66), Busquets OG (58), Higuain (71)

MOTM: Higuain (9.2)

1st Leg Results

Man Utd 0-0 Arsenal

Barcelona 1-4 R. Madrid

April 2012 Update

LASK Linz vs SC Austria Lustenau

We face fellow title rivals Austria Lustenau in our 4th home game in a row, looking to take 3 points here to keep up the pace with BW Linz whose match got postponed so here it goes. The away team had the first chance as Murat Cetinkaya's effort was palmed away by Mandl. With 5 minutes to go till half-time, we almost had the lead ourselves, Schellander's corner was met by Winkler who hit the bar, the ball came out to Kobleder who headed it but the keeper somehow recovered to gather the ball. However they had another chance late in the half too as Murat Cetinkaya was slipped in again but Mandl once again made a quality save. At the break I was disappointed at 0-0 as we looked far from comfortable and weren't creating much in the final third, hopefully that would change in the 2nd half.

We had the first effort of the first-half as Aigner's shot from distance was tipped over the cross-bar. After that there was only one more shot, a hopeful long ranged effort by Vidakovic which missed and the game ended 0-0, a disappointing result as we barely got going. There goes our game in hand and now we're 4 points behind BW Linz.

4 home games in a row and now this, we almost became away sick. We should win against St Andra but I'm not sure the way we're gifting goals at the moment. We had the first good chance of the game, a great ball by Ali Hamdemir finding Aigner in the box but his shot was saved. St Andra could have taken the lead themselves, Falk placing a shot but hitting the post. A poor pass by Kreuzriegler than gave Mijatovic a great chance for St Andra but it was saved by Mandl. But going in for the rebound, Kobleder decided he wanted to take out Falk and we gave away a penalty, as I said and have kept saying, STUPID MISTAKES! Of course, Jacobo stepped up and scored it to send us behind. We went into the break behind and it looked like my unbeaten record with Linz was coming to an end. Barry picked up a knock and decided to take him off rather than risk him.

It got worse for us at the start of the 2nd half as a cross from the left was turned in by Manuel Kerhe. We almost conceded again when Kobleder lost the ball in the box to Putsche who saw his shot saved by Mandl. A Falk chip over our keeper then made it 3-0, a nightmare of a day for us. They could have had another when Mijatovic converted after a long ball but the flag was up, it hardly mattered at this point. They protested anyway. A result that sent us down to 3rd and morale plummeting.

St. Andra: Jacobo (pen 37), Kerhe (50), Falk (61)

Without a win in 4, Altach have recently changed managers and are probably the best opponents we can face right now, hopefully we can get our form back on track. We had a dodgy start but managed to find our feet, Schellander's cross found Teigl unmarked at the back post but he could only miss. Ademi had a shot from a tight angle for Altach which Mandl did very well to turn behind. Right before half-time, a great passing move by Altach gave Ademi another chance but it was tipped away again by Mandl, the only player awake for us it seemed. We were rather lucky to go into the break level but I wanted to win this one.

Well that didn't go well, 4 minutes into the half and a cross found Patrick Scherrer who had a simple finish, 1-0 Altach. After that we decided to actually try but couldn't create any good chances, reduced to long shots and we lost 1-0. Another poor result. That takes us down to 4th, not so confident about the title anymore.

Altach: Scherrer (50)

After a successful team meeting, the team is ready to face Grodig who are 2nd from bottom, it turns out everyone around us is slipping up and a win here would be very beneficial to us. The game started quietly but soon we made our first attack, Murg with a great ball for Aigner who was one-on-one but missed, positive start though. The sun continued to shine, both on the pitch and metaphorically as we took the lead thanks to a curling effort by Vidakovic. We continued to attack as Ali Hamdemir set Vidakovic up for another go which was tipped over the bar. Aufhauser then claimed we should have had a penalty for a foul by Tschernegg, not given. We had another chance right on half-time as Kaufmann sent Aigner through on goal but he couldn't finish, good save. Grodig had gotten into it earlier in the half but we did well to restrict them to long shots. 1-0 up at the break and it seemed we were back to our old selves.

However, all is not always what it seems as Diego Viana curled in Grodig's first shot on target to get the sides level... sigh. The game ended 1-1, an unlucky result for us. We went up to 3rd for the time being at least.

LASK: Vidakovic (19)

Grodig: Diego Viana (66)

Another match, the players are starting to feel this tough schedule, hopefully we could get our season back on track with a win here. We had a terrible start as Rexhe Bytyci smashed in their first chance of the game, not good. Cem Atan was then played in for the home side but Mandl did really well to stop him. Bytyci was then sent through again and Mandl made another save, we were letting them in way too easily. We started to get into the game towards the end of the half, Unverdorben had our first good chance as his shot was saved by the keeper. We started to get into it but it was a poor half and we needed big improvements.

The 2nd half was quiet but late on we almost levelled, Aufhauser's free-kick was tipped over the cross-bar. Despite our efforts we conceded another at the end as Martin Zivny headed in from a corner, a shot which Mandl should have saved, that concluded another miserable day for LASK Linz. That takes us down to 5th, how we have fallen.

Hartberg: Bytyci (9), Zivny (90+3)

An important match against a team level on points with us, my first match was here against St Polten and we won so I'm hoping the team can remember that day and pull off a result. St. Polten had the first good chance as Brandl headed wide from close range. We almost scored ourselves as Schellander's free-kick was just over the bar. St Polten then had claims for a penalty for a foul on Gruberbauer by Kobleder which weren't given. We went into the break at 0-0 looking far from convincing, would we ever get out of this slump?

Well the signs looked good 2 minutes into the 2nd half when Aigner beat his marker and lashed it into the top corner to end a 600 minute goal drought. The goal seemed to spark some confidence into us as Murg had an effort which hit the bar. St Polten came close themselves as Gruberbauer headed over from close range. Gruberbauer then had a go from outside the box which Mandl had to tip away for a corner. The game ended 1-0 to finally end our winless run. That took us up to 4th, 4 points off top.

LASK: Aigner (48)

Summary: An extremely poor month, 13 points dropped and some very poor performances, I'm so glad in the end that we did win a match this month and fortunately we're still in with a chance of the title but our match against leaders First Vienna at the start of May is very important so hopefully we can pull off a result.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINALS LEG 2

24/4/12

R. Madrid (4-1) Barcelona

Summary of 1st Leg: Barca started off the better team, taking the lead but a Dani Alves red card seemed to inspire Real and after equalising in the last minute of the 1st half went on to score 3 in the second half, humiliation for the Catalan giants at the Nou Camp and a pretty impossible task at the Bernabeu lies ahead, they need no less than 4 goals tonight.

Preview: Jorge Casado and Joselu are ineligible for Real. As far as injuries go, Pepe (fractured cheekbone), Juanfran (broken nose) and Jese (flu) miss out. Albiol serves the last match of his suspension today as well. A lot of injuries for Barca too, Abidal has a twisted ankle, Keita picked up a torn calf muscle in the first leg, Iniesta has damaged cruciate ligaments, Fabregas has a pulled hamstring, Villa a groin strain and Keirrison a torn calf muscle. Daniel Alves is also suspended. Real make one change, replacing Modric with Kaka. For Barca Marc Bartra is given a chance at the back, as is Adriano as Pedro replaces an injured Villa in the attack.

4 - GOAL! Ronaldo surprises Valdes with a shot from a tight angle which strikes the post. The ball comes back to him and he puts in a cross which Coentrao nods home, tie over I should think.

11 - Varane plays it to Alonso who hits one and Valdes makes a top save.

17 - Real hit Barcelona on the break and Ronaldo shoots but drags it across the goal.

21 - Puyol brings down Coentrao to get the first yellow of the game.

24 - Sanchez trips Ramos and is booked.

28 - Varane sets up Ramos from distance but hits it over.

29 - Busquets upends Alonso, getting him a yellow.

30 - Carvalho trips Messi just outside the box and is booked.

30 - Xavi curls the free-kick wide.

33 - Busquets slips it through to Messi but the shot is saved by Casillas, Barca's first shot on target.

35 - Busquets sends Messi through on goal but he puts it wide, a rare miss by the little magician.

37 - Higuain is impeded by Bartra who gets a yellow card.

42 - Ramos trips Sanchez and sees a yellow card.

43 - Sanchez turns into the box and shoots but Casillas makes a top save.

44 - Pedro is tripped by Marcelo who is booked.

45+1 - Ronaldo breaks upfield on the counter and puts the ball on a plate for Coentrao who somehow hits the post, what a chance for his second.

45+2 - Half time

A game which has certainly had a lot of bookings, Real started well with an early goal and although Barcelona are back in the game, it's difficult to imagine them bagging 4 goals without conceding in the 2nd half.

50 - Even Messi is booked as he trips Ramos.

51 - Coentrao's corner is headed over by Carvalho.

56 - GOAL! Another for Real, Coentrao with the cross and Ronaldo's header hits the bar but gets lucky with the rebound to score.

61 - Varane makes a fantastic challenge to stop Messi going through on goal, it comes to Sanchez who shoots from a tight angle but hits the side-netting.

65 - Sanchez plays it through for Pedro who can only fire at Casillas' two arms.

73 - Alonso's corner is headed over by Carvalho.

76 - Ronaldo's free-kick is deflected into Valdes' arms.

80 - 5 subs are made, 2 for Barcelona as Thiago and Fontas are on for Puyol and Xavi. Real go all out, bringing Arbeloa, Mesut Ozil and Benzema replace Marcelo, Coentrao and Higuain.

83 - Messi's free-kick is well over the bar.

84 - Varane is next in the book for upending Messi.

88 - RED CARD! Heartbreak for Sergio Ramos as he trips Pedro and picks up his 2nd yellow, now he'll miss the final, gutting.

89 - Young striker Artur Martinez is given his chance in the place of Mascherano.

89 - Martinez sets up Busquets who fires one but it hits the bar.

90+2 - Ronaldo is tripped by Fontas and the sub is booked.

90+2 - Full time

A match full of yellows and reds sees Real Madrid get to the final quite comfortably, Barcelona will be extremely disappointed with their performances of the two legs but how crucial could the red card to Ramos be for the final.

R. Madrid 2-0 Barcelona

Real: Coentrao (5), Ronaldo (57), Ramos (89)

MOTM: Ronaldo (8.9)

25/2/12

Arsenal (0-0) Man Utd

Summary of 1st Leg: United were the dominant side at Old Trafford but couldn't find the net so have to do the work at the Emirates, Arsenal need to watch out though as away goals are incredibly valuable in this match.

Preview: For Arsenal, Fabianski, Di Maria and Chamberlain are all ineligible as well as a host of injuries. They are Squillaci and van Persie (sprained ankle), Badelj (concussion), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Arteta (broken nose), Wilshere (double hernia), Gervinho (torn calf muscle). A yellow for Andre Ayew means he is suspended for this one too. Injuries for United are Victor (broken finger), Ferdinand (bruised rib), Fabio (sports hernia), Morrison (hernia) and Owen (broken foot). Anderson also just misses out with achilles tendonitis. Arsenal have certainly had to chop and change as Torosidis will play holding midfield with Ramsey and Song in front of him, Walcott and Park on the wings with Chamakh up front. United are trying out Hernandez on the right wing with Nani on the left as Rooney and Berbatov lead the line.

6 - Ansaldi's corner is headed over by Park.

13 - Park sets up Ansaldi from the free-kick but he hits it wide.

24 - Chamakh does well to turn into the box and shoot but it's straight at de Gea.

30 - Nani's free-kick is blocked as far as Fletcher who heads it over.

37 - Vidic sets up Fellaini who shoots but Mandanda catches.

44 - Rooney is booked for a trip on Mertesacker.

44 - Walcott's corner is met by Mertesacker who hits the side-netting.

45+1 - Half time

It's been a pretty boring half, Arsenal have played slightly better but neither team has done enough to warrant a lead. We could be heading for penalties here.

45 - 2 United subs, Giggs and Smalling for Nani and Berbatov.

46 - Walcott's free-kick is terrible, high and wide of the goal.

56 - Gibbs replaces Park.

71 - Walcott skilfully gets to the edge of the box before having a good effort which de Gea tips over the bar, the first difficult save either keeper has made.

72 - Double sub for Arsenal, Djourou and Diaby for Torosidis and Ramsey.

75 - Diaby lasts just 3 minutes before being forced off injured and as the Gunners are out of subs, they must play with ten. United send Jones on for Hernandez.

76 - GOAL! That must surely be the winner for United, Fellaini plays a great ball forward for Rooney who produces a sublime chip over Mandanda to give the Red Devils their ticket to Munich, unless Arsenal can score twice now.

78 - GOAL! Maybe it's not game over after all, Ansaldi's cross reaches Walcott who smashes it in to give Arsenal every chance of going through themselves, the game has exploded into life!

88 - Arsenal win a corner after Smalling messes up a pass back to de Gea and Mandanda goes up to join the attack!

89 - GOAL! Is that the winner for Arsenal, incredible late drama! Ansaldi's corner is met by Mertesacker whose header hits the bar, hits Rafael and goes in, what a comeback!

90+2 - Fletcher to Jones who turns and shoots but hits it over.

90+5 - Full time

What an incredible match as a late goal sends Arsenal through to face Real Madrid in the final, what a second half but United will look to the first leg where even just one goal there would have put them through but fair play to Arsenal who were reduced to ten to pull off a result here.

Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd

Arsenal: Walcott (79), Rafael OG (90)

United: Rooney (77)

MOTM: Rooney (8.3)

2nd Leg Results

Barcelona (1) 0-2 (6) R. Madrid

Man Utd (1) 1-2 (2) Arsenal

Europa League Final

Valencia vs Olympique Lyonnais

Valencia Road to the final

Champions League Group C

FC Bayern 15

FC Kobenhavn 8

Valencia 7

Partizan 4

1st Knockout Round

Rubin 0-1 Valencia

Valencia 0-0 Rubin

2nd Knockout Round

Metalist 2-1 Valencia

Valencia 2-0 Metalist

Quarter Final

Sporting 1-1 Valencia

Valencia 2-0 Sporting

Semi Final

Olympiakos 1-2 Valencia

Valencia 3-0 Olympiakos

Olympique Lyonnais Road to the Final

Champions League Best Placed Playoff

Udinese 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais

Olympique Lyonnais 0-2 Udinese

Europa League Group K

Olympique Lyonnais 15

Fulham 13

OB 4

PAOK 3

1st Knockout Round

FC RB Salzburg 0-2 Olympique Lyonnais

Olympique Lyonnais 2-0 FC RB Salzburg

2nd Knockout Round

Olympique Lyonnais 2-0 Villarreal

Villarreal 3-1 (a) Olympique Lyonnais

Quarter Final

Benfica 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais

Olympique Lyonnais (p) 1-1 Benfica

Semi Final

Olympique Lyonnais 4-0 At. Madrid

At. Madrid 1-1 Olympique Lyonnais

Preview: Antonio Barragan, Vedran Corluka and Gonzalo Castro miss out through ineligibility for Valencia. A couple of injuries, Hedwiges Maduro has a torn calf muscle, Albelda just misses out with a hip injury and Adil Rami is also suspended. One injury for Lyon as Emanuelson has a twisted ankle, Kallstrom is suspended for the French side. Valencia line up with a 4-5-1, Mehmet Topal will play the holding role with Banega and Costa in front of him, Pablo Hernandez and Piatti play on the wings with Soldado on his own upfront. Lyon play a 4-4-2, Briand surprisingly starts on the right with Bastos on the left, Gourcuff and Sandro are a good combination in the middle with Lopez and Gomis up top.

5 - Sandro plays in Gomis who has a great chance but Diego Alves saves.

6 - Sandro to Briand who shoots but its a great catch by the keeper.

9 - GOAL! Advantage Lyon as Michel Bastos' free-kick is headed in by Lovren! His first for the club couldn't have come at a better time

13 - Soldado turns and shoots but Lloris makes a good catch.

28 - Gourcuff's shot is blocked but it falls to Briand who heads it straight at the keeper.

32 - Mehmet Topal is booked for a foul on Lopez.

32 - Michel Bastos' shot is deflected for a corner.

37 - Gomis is fouled by Ricardo Costa who is booked.

40 - Michel Bastos' corner is headed over by Lovren.

42 - Michel Bastos swings in the free-kick and Briand heads it just over.

42 - Michel Bastos' low cross finds Gomis who shoots but it's well saved by Diego Alves.

45+2 - Half time

Not the most exciting half but a simple set-piece goal gives Lyon a deserved lead. 1-0 is risky though so they need to score again to make sure. Valencia will go all out in the 2nd half.

51 - Lovren trips Pablo Hernandez and gets a yellow card.

53 - Sandro plays in Gomis who smashes it home but it's offside, he was well offside, good decision. Gomis is furious for some reason!

55 - Piatti hits one from distance but its wide.

57 - Pablo Hernandez makes an opening and shoots but it's a good catch by the keeper.

58 - Pablo Hernandez finds a pass to Piatti who hits it over.

59 - Piatti sets up Banega who shoots but Lloris catches.

60 - Piatti finds Soldado who hits it and its a catch for Lloris, Valencia starting to pick it up now.

62 - Alba replaces Hernandez.

63 - RED CARD! Valencia's chances of winning now look a lot slimmer as Mathieu hacks down Reveillere with two feet.

67 - Banega comes off injured, on goes Victor Ruiz.

69 - Michel Bastos' free-kick goes over.

72 - Lopez turns into the box and shoots but it's tipped over by Lloris.

74 - Gourcuff hits it wide from distance.

78 - Both sides make changes, Ricardo Costa is replaced by Parejo for Valencia and Lyon bring Lewandowski on for an injured Lopez.

86 - Costa hits one but its straight at Lloris.

88 - Piatti sets up Parejo for a great chance but he puts it wide.

90+4 - Full time

Lyon are the winners in the Europa League, it may have been a header from a corner but they did enough. Valencia looked like they'd gotten back into it before Mathieu's red came at exactly the wrong time and thats it as Lyon take home the Europa League.

Valencia 0-1 Olympique Lyonnais

Valencia: Mathieu (64)

Lyon: Lovren (10)

MOTM: Lovren (8.2)

Final Result

Valencia 0-1 Olympique Lyonnais

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING UPDATE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM FOR MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT

May 2012 Update

A huge match in the title race which we needed to win as Vienna were top by 4 points. The game began quietly with midway through the first half a penalty claim for Vienna the first real incident. However the first real effort on goal went to us and we sure took it, Schellander put in a great delivery from a free-kick which was headed in by Aufhauser to mark his 450th league appearance. A good enough half in which I was satisfied that we both scored and restricted our opponents.

The 2nd half was pretty much as quiet as the first, the first chance went to us quite late on as Schellander sent in a free-kick which Ali Hamdemir met with a diving header, producing a good save out of the keeper. It didn't matter though as the resulting corner saw Schellander put in yet another glorious delivery which Aufhauser headed home for his 2nd, a great day for him. I was understandably paranoid when Rade Djokic saw his last minute effort saved by Mandl and then put away the rebound. However, I had no reason to be as we quickly grabbed a 3rd, Aigner jinked past his marker before firing in past the keeper at his near post. A valuable victory here which gives us a great shot at the title.

LASK: Aufhauser (44, 75), Aigner (90+3)

First Vienna: Djokic (90+1)

Altach had recently changed managers so I thought this would be an ideal fixture, especially at home. It didn't look that way after 20 minutes when Orhan Ademi smashed it in off the underside of the bar. We continued to play poorly but we still salvaged an equaliser when Aigner's low cross found Vidakovic at the far post who finished easily. We then had an incredible chance at the end of the half when Aigner picked up a poor pass and went through on goal but smashed it wide. It was a pretty bad first half but at least we weren't behind.

Aigner had the first chance of the 2nd half when his shot went agonisingly wide. We were slightly better in the 2nd hlaf but the inevitable goal came for Altach when a cross randomly bounced off Aufhauser and in to give the away side a lead. We couldn't get past their defence and suffered defeat, a defeat which probably put promotion out of the question. We now need to win both our last 2 games and hope Vienna or Hartberg don't win either of their games.

The Linz derby, both sides looked to be the frontrunners for the title but have both fallen behind so we play for pride today. The first half passed by without any goals but we played well, sending plenty of shots on target, unfortunately they were all straight at the keeper. Hopefully we would turn our second half chances into goals.

BW Linz thought they took the lead when Huspek smashed it in after a through ball but the flag was up for offside, an incredibly tight decision which even I had a hard time deciding when it was paused but probably the correct one. Huspek was furious with the ref! BW Linz did score however, as a free-kick was headed in from close range by captain Torsten Knabel. We battled hard after that but our finishing proved fruitless. In the last minute we had another chance as Freudenthaler sent in a perfect cross which found the head of Kaufmann but the keeper somehow saved it to keep BW Linz in front. But I needn't worry as from the corner we won, Freudenthaler's delivery was flicked on by Kobleder and finished by our young American centre back Shawn Barry to pull us a point. We ended with a draw, maintaining my record of drawing every single game with our rivals, 3 out of 3. However, 8 shots on target and just one goal said it all really, we should have won. Down to 5th with that performance but still 3 points off top, that said we'd need a complete miracle to win the league on the last day.

LASK: Barry (90+2)

BW Linz: Knabel (56)

Table before the last day

Team-Points-GD

Hartberg-53-+12

First Vienna-53-(-1)

St Andra-52-(-1)

Altach-52-(-7)

LASK-50-+7

Last Day Fixtures

First Vienna vs Grodig

Hartberg vs St Polten

St Andra vs Altach

Austria Lustenau vs LASK

Theoretically we are still in with a chance but need a miracle. 2nd from bottom Grodig need to beat Austria Vienna, 3rd from bottom St Polten need to beat Hartberg and we need a 5 goal swing to take us above Hartberg on GD. We also need St Andra and Altach to DRAW, nothing else counts, here goes nothing.

The good news is that a midweek fixture with an ideal result means that Lustenau 1907 are already relegated so have nothing to play for tonight which could work in our advantage. Hopefully, we would have a massive stroke of luck and get promoted but we have to get the job done here too. With 3 at the back, I was hoping we could exploit the wings. We had a great chance after 8 minutes when Murg sent in a peach of a ball from the right which Teigl had time to bring down and shoot but it was saved by the keeper. We continued to press as Ali Hamdemir's through ball found Kaufmann whose far post drive hit the post. Schellander then surprised the goalkeeper with a powerful effort which he just about saved. Then we got 2 pieces of bad news, one was First Vienna led against Grodig and the other was that Altach led against St Andra. We then got a shred of good news as St Polten took the lead against Hartberg. Bad news again as St Andra missed a penalty which could have brought them level with Altach. It was hard to believe we weren't ahead as Kaufmann's cross found Murg who could only smash it at the keeper. One more bit of bad news before the half ended was that Hartberg had equalised against St Polten. I was pleased with the way we'd played but we needed a goal, we couldn't keep worrying about what the other teams were doing before upholding our end of the bargain.

The 2nd half started with some good news as Grodig had equalised against First Vienna. However, we clearly weren't concentrating when a ball was slipped through for David Witteveen who finished to put us behind, their first attempt on target... Aufhauser complained about offside but had no case really. We kept putting pressure on as Hart's cross was just headed over by Teigl. Vienna then retook their lead against Grodig and that seemed to be it. They then went 3-1 up and there went any hope we had left. Despite our pressure, we lost 1-0, a poor finishing display by us which not only saw us fail to climb but go down to 6th as well, it's a wild league. Congratulations to First Vienna on their promotion.

Lustenau 1907: Witteveen (52)

Final Day Results

First Vienna 3-1 Grodig

Hartberg 1-1 St Polten

St Andra 0-3 Altach

Summary: A fantastic start against Vienna but our finishing was to blame for 3 poor results in the last 3 matches, we have the squad but they just can't score when you need them to. 22 shots on target with 5 goals sums us up really. Oh well, roll on next season where we have some new blood coming in :D.

Champions League Final

R. Madrid vs Arsenal

Allianz-Arena, Munich

R. Madrid Road to the Final

Champions League Group H

R. Madrid 16

Leverkusen 9

Rangers 6

Genk 1

1st Knockout Round

R. Madrid 2-0 LOSC Lille Metropole

Quarter Final

R. Madrid 3-0 Chelsea

Chelsea 1-1 R. Madrid

Semi Final

Barcelona 1-4 R. Madrid

R. Madrid 2-0 Barcelona

Arsenal Road to the Final

Champions League Best Placed Playoff

FC Vaslui 0-4 Arsenal

Arsenal 4-0 FC Vaslui

Champions League Group F

Shakhtar 15

Arsenal 12

Rubin 6

Udinese 3

1st Knockout Round

Arsenal 3-0 Inter

Inter 1-2 Arsenal

Quarter Final

Arsenal 3-0 OM

OM 1-1 Arsenal

Semi Final

Man Utd 0-0 Arsenal

Arsenal 2-1 Man Utd

Real Madrid have had a pretty tough run up to this stage, having to defeat the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona to get here. The latter they dispatched with incredible ease, normally Barcelona are tough to crack but 6-1 on aggregate was impressive. Arsenal should be immensely proud of themselves, they have managed to get to the final despite an injury-ridden squad, a last minute goal knocking out United to set up a good final. The team with the most Champions League trophies against a team without any. Who will win?

Preview: Jorge Casado, Juanfran and Joselu are ineligible for Real. Xabi Alonso is the only casualty with a torn groin muscle, Sergio Ramos' late red card against Barca costs him a place in the final. Ineligible for the Gunners are Fabianski, Squillaci and Di Maria against his former club. Arsenals injury list is a bit shorter than normal, Mertesacker and Ayew (thigh strain), Arshavin (damaged cruciate ligaments), Chamberlain (twisted knee), Diaby (twisted ankle) and Gervinho (torn calf muscle) all miss out.

LINE-UPS

R. Madrid

GK: Casillas

RB: Arbeloa

RCB: Carvalho

LCB: Pepe

LB: Marcelo

RCM: Khedira

LCM: Modric

RAM: Ronaldo

AM: Mesut Ozil

LAM: Coentrao

ST: Benzema

Arsenal

GK: Mandanda

RB: Sagna

RCB: Koscielny

LCB: Vermaelen

LB: Ansaldi

DM: Song

RCM: Arteta

LCM: Badelj

RAM: Walcott

LAM: Chamakh

ST: Van Persie

11 - Khedira gets into the box and shoots but misses.

12 - Coentrao gives it to Khedira who shoots and Mandanda just about keeps it out and collects the rebound before Mesut Ozil.

15 - Koscielny's long ball finds Chamakh with a great chance but straight at Casillas.

21 - Another long ball by Arsenal, this time by Vermaelen finds Chamakh again who cuts inside and shoots but Casillas makes a good stop.

22 - Arteta to van Persie who turns and shoots but Casillas gets to it.

45+2 - Half time

The 2nd half of this half was very boring but despite a strong start from Real, Arsenal got back into it and despite having to adapt their play to long balls, it is working and they might be rewarded for it.

45 - Mesut Ozil is replaced by Diarra at the break.

49 - GOAL! Chamakh sends in a cross from the right which van Persie smashes into the roof of the net, 1-0 Arsenal!

51 - Ronaldo shoots from a tight angle but Mandanda saves. Meanwhile Coentrao thinks he should have had a penalty for a foul by Sagna

53 - Diarra's blocked shot falls kindly for Modric who somehow blazes it well wide of the goal, a great chance for the ex Spurs player.

55 - Chamakh gets the better of Arbeloa but fires it well wide of the goal.

66 - Djourou comes on for Badelj.

68 - Benzema is booked for upending Koscielny.

68 - Higuain replaces the just booked Benzema.

71 - Marcelo trips Walcott, yellow card.

71 - Ronaldo again hits one from a difficult angle but again Mandanda saves.

80 - Modric swings in the free-kick but Carvalho's header is straight at the keeper.

81 - Arteta gives it to Song who gets into the box and shoots but Casillas makes a heroic save to stop him.

82 - Chamakh comes off for Gibbs.

88 - Ramsey replaces Arteta.

90 - Ramsey spots the run of Gibbs who must seal it but scuffs the effort wide.

90 - Raul Albiol comes on for Arbeloa.

90+3 - Full time

Arsenal win their first Champions League trophy and you have to say they deserve it, they performed better and wanted it more and it was that man van Persie who scored the winner. They deserve it for the injuries they've had to contend with in every round of this competition too.

R. Madrid 0-1 Arsenal

Arsenal: van Persie (50)

MOTM: Mandanda (8.3)

Final Result

R. Madrid 0-1 Arsenal

Euro 2012 Group Stages

Group A

Sweden 0-3 Ukraine

Sweden: Ibrahimovic (55)

Ukraine: Milevskyi (13, 45), Yarmolenko (30)

Italy 1-1 Slovenia

Italy: Montolivo (25)

Slovenia: Dedic (12)

Slovenia 3-2 Sweden

Slovenia: Ilicic (7), Velikonja (15), Sukalo (61)

Sweden: Elm (25), Toivonen (50)

Ukraine 1-0 Italy

Ukraine: Milevskyi (19)

Sweden 1-3 Italy

Sweden: Farnerud (1)

Italy: Giovinco (53), Pazzini (71), Balotelli (87)

Ukraine 3-2 Slovenia

Ukraine: Yarmolenko (33, 79, 89)

Slovenia: Velikonja (2, 3)

Ukraine 9

Italy 4

Slovenia 4

Sweden 0

Group Summary: Harsh on Slovenia as they were heading through until a last minute winner for Ukraine, they can be proud of what they've done here. An easy group for co-hosts Ukraine, winning all their matches thanks to an outstanding Yarmolenko. Italy will feel very lucky to have made it through though.

Group B

Scotland 1-2 Poland

Scotland: Naismith (19), Berra (35)

Poland: Roger (85), Smolarek (88)

France 1-0 England

France: Benzema (pen 62)

England 0-1 Scotland

Scotland: Goodwillie (78)

Poland 2-2 France

Poland: Lewandowski (30), Murawski (37)

France: Martin (6), Menez (14)

England 2-1 Poland

England: Carroll (78), Lampard (pen 81)

Poland: Piszczek (52)

France 0-1 Scotland

Scotland: Goodwillie (46)

Scotland 6

Poland 4

France 4

England 3

Group Summary: Absolutely terrible by England, a loss to France may have been acceptable but losing to Scotland will be one they'll remember for a while. With nothing to play for, they at least managed a win against Poland but they had to come back from behind to do it in a far from impressive display. France were also poor, they couldn't build on their win against England and ended up losing out to Poland on goals scored. The Scots however were incredible, they recovered from 2 late goals against co-hosts Poland to beat England and France to go through as group winners, great work by them.

Group C

Bosnia & Herz. 2-2 Germany

Bosnia & Herz.: Dzeko (13), Vladavic (79)

Germany: Becker (11, 41)

Holland 1-3 Ireland

Holland: Van Persie (28)

Ireland: Keane (6), Long (19), Hunt (44)

Ireland 3-2 Bosnia & Herz.

Ireland: Doyle (73), Gibson (78), Hunt (90)

Bosnia & Herz.: Dzeko (39), Vranjes (51), Spahic (89)

Germany 2-0 Holland

Germany: Dreckmann (6), Nowak (9)

Holland 1-1 Bosnia & Herz.

Holland: de Jong (24)

Bosnia & Herz.: Dzeko (89)

Ireland 2-3 Germany

Ireland: Lawrence (5), Gibson (pen 52)

Germany: Weilandt (25, pen 38), Hornig (41)

Germany 7

Ireland 6

Bosnia & Herz. 2

Holland 1

Group Summary: A poor tournament for Holland, just 2 goals and a point in a group they should have progressed through. Ireland did really well to win their first two matches, coming back from 2-0 down to beat Bosnia but they couldn't win the group decider despite putting up a good fight against Germany who progressed as expected as group winners.

Group D

Turkey 1-2 Spain

Turkey: Mevlut Erdinc (85)

Spain: Villa (1, 48)

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Croatia: Mandzukic (57)

Spain 1-2 Portugal

Spain: Villa (57), Busquets (87)

Portugal: Almeida (53), Alves (70)

Croatia 1-3 Turkey

Croatia: Badelj (pen 76)

Turkey: Arda Turan (59), Nuri Sahin (70), Semih Senturk (79)

Croatia 2-1 Spain

Croatia: Petric (7), Olic (54)

Spain: Xavi (72)

Portugal 3-0 Turkey

Portugal: Ronaldo (35, 53), Danny (45)

Croatia 6

Portugal 6

Spain 3

Turkey 3

Group Summary: A testament to how competitive this group was is that Turkey actually topped the group before the last fixture and finished it bottom. Everyone had won a match and lost a match before the final day and to the surprise of many it was Croatia who held their own on the last day, they did it the harder way, they lost 3-1 to Turkey but beat Portugal and Spain in what should be considered a success. Spain will not retain the trophy after poor displays against Croatia and Portugal saw them out, they were lucky to beat Turkey as well. Portugal lost to Croatia but were otherwise faultless and got a memorable win over Spain too, well done to them.

Archived