Should I Stay or Should I Go ???

Started a Save as Motherwell a few weeks ago and im now in my 5th season..

In my first season i came fourth and got to the scottish cup final getting beat then.

Second season 4th again but won the league cup.. so euro cup

third season got into euro cup group stages but got no further.. won league cup again and broke rangers out of the big 2 by coming second although celtic won by a big gap.

fourth season second again another big gap although got to quarter finals of euro up beating valenica n liverpool in knockout rounds after group stage containing stoke. also won the 2 socttish cups (scottish cup & scottish league cup) 3rd time running for scottish league cup

5th season... 6 points clear at top with game in hand ive played 14... in euro cup qualified already after four games so 2 games to spare .. in league cup semi finals so maybe 4 in a row. also won the four association's tournament with ireland and have qualifed for the euro 2016 topping my group.

Well main point is Im starting to get offers of jobs all over but my squad all starting to come together jamie murphy who came through motherwell youth ranks back in 2006 or so got 43 goals in 52 apperance last season had darron gibson and just got 5 mill for him from celtic he wanted to leave couldnt keep him otherwise i would of.. so should i finish the job here and get the league title or go for a english premier league club and have cash available to try and rule europe .. just aint got the finance in scotland if i didnt get to the euro cup id be in big debt. have to make around 1.5 mill a year in transfer in january to stay afloat really apart from last season made alot due to euros.

any points of view appreciated

i really do have a great team here to but got a great defence and midfield and play murphy on his own so where ever i go im taking him with me james mcfadden has been here since the start he has been brilliant but id say 2 more seasons and hes done myt see how i sit come january and decide then ive got ireland to fall back on in november at the minute hoping west ham give me the job as im a fan but the just sacked there manager :L so fingers crossed

thats what i want to do havent lost a game yet this season apart from the champions league qualifying second league got beat by psv so apart from that looking strong even though i support celtic i really wana knock them on there arse :L more so than rangers :L

Sounds like the only reason you wanna move is that you can't take them any further? Fair point really but if money is a problem try re-constructing the squad; i.e get rid of some older players and bring in new ones this can lower your salary significantly, also older players tend to agree to pay cuts if you give them a decent app fee. Have a dabble there are numerous ways to improve financial standings of clubs.

yea tom see what you mean but bringing in these older free transfer (end of contract) players is the only way im making money by bringing in them and selling them off in a year although i got 2 grat defenders for 110k n 220k which are left an centre back and play week in week out now which is good to see with great potential

In my current save, I've gone through three clubs over 20 years. It can be a bit sad to leave a club you've worked hard to build, and new clubs are always a mess when you take over, but the new challenges and opportunities are often very rewarding, assuming you are moving upwards and not sideways.

And as much fun as knocking over the Old Firm with Motherwell might be, you can probably achieve more, faster, elsewhere. It really depends, if you reach a point where you feel the club cannot give you the resources to achieve your current ambitions, it's probably time to move.

yea hugo your the same as me always upwards and onwards :L gettin alot of offers from russian clubs at the minute but only want to move to EPL as its the most rewarding and can hopefully get financial rewards going to finish this season out anyway and hopefully win the league then ill have done my task :) thanks

You say you've got a great squad and there all starting to shine, so why would you want to leave just yet when you've not won the big one yet, the league? I'd stay and win that a couple of times. If you leave before you'll always be left wondering 'what if'.

On the other hand if you wanted a new challenge you could always make a copy of your game accept a job offer and see where you end up. That way you end up with 2 games instead of one.

Cleon i like your plan :L ... come to a conclusion anyway im not going to go anywhere until ive won the league and broken the big 2 down this could be the season still unbeaten in the league so lets see where this takes us :L

I think you've made the right choice.

I'd only consider leaving when you have nothing to achieve. But you've still got quite a bit of unfinished business it seems :)

I agree that that's the right thing to do; you shouldn't leave before completing the job as you always regret it later.

However I'd definitely leave after you've claimed the title. Ruling Europe might be a bridge too far with an SPL team, even with FM's notoriously optimistic finances.

Just discovered your thread. Have to agree with Cleon, ToffeeViola etc. Surely the point of playing in Scotland is to break the Old Firm dominance, sort of a waste of time if you leave before achieving that goal. Conquering Europe might be a step too far, but you have to have at least 1 real crack at the Champions League with your developing side.

I'm sure in time, the SPL will become too easy and boredom will force your hand.

Well i didnt bother read every thread but here is my opinion

I think you should stay to make them on par with old firm so you can improve the league standing

i managed Hearts in my save and after about 5-6 season managed to win the league, eventually after 12 season i won the league a couple of times and regularly make last 16 of CL (tho i cant get further), I managed to build 26k Stadium (Robertson Park) which i since expanded to 40k all seater and club is financially sound with around 20m balance

The reason i eventually leave is to take over Rangers who slipped out of European spots in recent seasons, Hearts and Celtic are around on par and regularly make good runs in CL/Europa so now i try bring Rangers back level with them and have 3 teams being good in europe. I hope soon if i achieve this we can reach top 6 in coefficient and gain extra CL spot for the league (currently 10th in coefficient)

so my answer in short, make Motherwell best team in league if possible, build new stadium, then move another scottish team and try make them on par

if u can make many scottish teams have nice players, nice finances and nice stadiums (30k+) then u can slowly make them one of best league in the world and no need for Prem since u made them on par with EPL

Just thought id let use no how i done in my season after all your help :L .. I won the scottish cup for the fourth time in a row.. got to the quarter finals of europa league ( beat by lyon ) happy with that as was told just to enjoy it .. won the scottish cup for the second time in a row and i won the LEAGUE :D by 5 points which is great .. so i qualify for group stages of champions league straight away :D gona stick for a couple more years as all my players are comin of age.. on jamie murphy whom had a great season last year this year in january he had 22 goals in 22 games in the league and 28 goals outta 29 in all competitions but he then got injured for 4 months so i had a young 16 year old play up front and another player toshev who also played left wing keep switching thanks for all the help guys much apprectied . :D :D

Great thread mate, glad you decided to stay, and good luck for the future.

This thread has inspired me too I think. I'm Swansea on FM10 (only re-found my love of the game last week after an 18 month hiatus). I'm in the Championship in season 2, and my chairman wanted me to rebuild for next season (expecting relegation). Yet after 30 games or so we're sat in 9th, and 6 points off play-offs, and only 11 from 2nd place. I seriously don't expect to get into the play-offs before the end of the season, but I have applied for a couple of Premier League jobs and narrowly missed out. I was thinking of leaving as soon as a bigger job came along. However, reading this thread, and also we are at the end of January and I have agreed 2 excellent Bosman acquisitions ready to join in the Summer, I think i've been convinced to stay and make The Swans better. It's a very big ask as I don't think i'm a good manager, just maybe got a bit lucky lately. Since I started with Swansea on this game, in real life as everyone knows Swansea have got promoted to the Prem, so any achievements I have now will be less special.

Bl**dy Brendan Rodgers lol ;-)

Archived