From Zero to Hero – Los Borquerones (Malaga C.F)

McN7

clubcrestmalaga.png

===

"From Zero to Hero – Los Borquerones (Malaga C.F)"

A club whose greatest achievement in it’s history, lays with 2 Liga Adelante titles. No major trophies, and a predicted finish of 6th, it could be argued this is to be football’s latest deathwish of a job. But backed by new owners of Qatar origin, things are looking up for The Anchovies.

With players such as Toulalan to steady the ship, and Van Nistelrooy for offensive potency, a push for a European spot perhaps isn’t out of the question.

Yes this is the short term goal, but the ultimate aim has to be bringing both domestic and European success. This however will be no easy task, with money bags Real Madrid and Barcelona forever likely to dominate the Spanish division. And so the story begins...

===

Club: Malaga C.F

Year Founded: 1948

Chairman: Abdullah Al-Thani

Fierce Rivals: Sevilla, Betis

Stadium: La Rosaleda

Stadium Capacity: 28,963 all-seater

Nickname: The Anchovies (Los Borquerones)

La Liga Titles: 0

Copa Del Reys: 0

Spanish Super Cups: 0

Champions Leagues: 0

EURO Cups: 0

===

Football Manager: 2012

Patch: Latest

Leagues Loaded: England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland

Database Size: Large

===

***Managerial Honours***

Malaga C.F (2011 - 2016)

- Manager of the Year Award x2 (2014/2015), (2016/2017)

- EURO Cup Winners x1 (2012/2013)

- Copa Del Rey Winners x3 (2013/2014), (2015/2016), (2016/2017)

- La Liga Titles x2 (2014/2015), (2016/2017)

- UEFA Champions League Winners x1 (2016/2017)

AC Milan (2017 - 2020)

- Coppa Italia Winners x3 (2017,2018), (2018,2019), (2019,2020)

- Super Coppa Italia Winners x2 (2018,2019), (2019,2020)

- Serie A Titles x2 (2018,2019), (2019,2020)

- UEFA Champions League Winners x1 (2019,2020)

Arsenal (2022 - present)

- FA Cup Winner x1 (2022,2023)

- Premier League Titles x1 (2022,2023)

- EURO Cup x1 (2022,2023)

I love Malaga, did you change the sugar daddy to a foreground one like some people do? They really do not have that much money to spend with the current chairman.

Look forward to reading this Juanmi is a great player for the future and Rondon is awesome at the start as is Carzola, I look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck.

Na, no changes - just got rid of some players, and purchased over 48 monthly instalments. Might cost a bit more overall, but at least I could strengthen sufficiently to hopefully have a decent first season and not get the sack! Cheers :)

Lol. There's no harm in looking for a cheap alternative :) Besides, it's always nice to have a bit of British grit in a squad. Certainly help to get my troops motivated for our trips for the Nou Camp and The Bernabau :D

That's why I got him :) Think he'll do a decent job when he's needed to come in. Although Spain is a little more technical than the English game. I'm actually trying to design my parking the bus tactic specifically for just them two games as it is!

League Table

xmastable.jpg

Results

xmasresults.jpg

Objectives

xmasobjectives.jpg

===

A very mixed first half of the season for our team. A 3-1 at home to Real Madrid with 10 men definitely our highlight. The score being tied at 0-0 by the time we lost our right back and captain Gamez. However, with Van Nistelrooy missing, and Rondon being very inconsistent we've struggled to score goals at times. Against teams we should be beating, we are struggling to break teams down.

Our tactic has only just finally gelled after Xmas, but we've recently stuttered to a tight 3-2 cup win over Zaragoza. It has put us in the 1/4 finals of the Spanish cup though, and this was a board objective successfully achieved.

We really do need to find some league form though. We are currently achieving a respectable league position, but I was hoping we would be closer to European football than we currently are. There is still alot of playing time left this season though.

A long term injury to Baptista also hasn't helped matters, with him missing nearly all of our games so far. Cazorla has been extremely disappointing on the right flank, and it maybe time to review whether he's good enough for this club.

There won't be any squad changes over in the January window, but is more a period to decide what changes will be needed to improve next year. Clearly a replacement for the ageing Van Nistelrooy, and someone better on the right flank will be needed to improve our offensive potency.

Cheers :) Quite fortunate to say the least though with that one. Typical football - some games I outplay teams and lose, then get completely outplayed but win. Almost come to the end of my first year. Been a very interesting second half to the season. Unfortunately that included a 0-5 home battering to them second time around in the cup lol. I've sweated the most of it... if you get my drift!

League Table

finaltable.jpg

Results

finalresultsj.jpg

Objectives

objectivesfinal.jpg

Player Performance

playerperformancefinal.jpg

===

One word to describe my second half of the season..."Bizarre". Although in good shape in the cup, eventually making the semi-finals before losing to Real Madrid, the pressure was immense staying in the job for a good part of the second year. Baptista again got injured, and a further tweak in tactics caused further instability to a side who had struggled to find a consistency during the first half of the season.

The tweak prompted in the aim of picking up more 3 points, eventually paid off. Laying in 16th position after 24 rounds of La Liga, it was clear to see why the board were getting impatient. This caused a meeting to be held with the directors, with me asking for more time to turn things around due to unfortunate injury circumstances this year. They agreed. With the job very insecure, an immediate positive came from the lads, trouncing Sevilla 5-0.

This eventually led to winning 14 of the last 16 games, only losing to Real from this form. Malaga had shot up from 2 places above safety, to a European spot in 7th. Victories included impressive wins against Valencia, Athletico Madrid, Villarreal, and two 5-1 thumpings of Betis and 6th placed Sporting. Goals no longer a problem, and the defensive still solid, with 8 clean sheets coming from the last 16.

Van Nistelrooy was on form, Cazorla had found his feet, and Baptista finally was getting some regular action at the backend of the year. With the new signings also settling and finding a greater consistency, and the style of football now being played being portrayed, it ended up being a very successful first season in charge, especially sneaking in a EURO cup spot in at the end.

The only downside is being able to tie Van Nistelrooy for another year - wages demanded are too great. So I'll definitely be in the market for a replacement striker this Summer.

Depends on transfer money there are usually a few decent players around for the second season at very good prices like Vlad Weiss for example who is a legend.

I am surprised you managed it I was expecting a midtable finish when I came to check the thread. Surely after that run Champions League should be your aim for next season, with the right signings you can get 3rd or 4th.

Transfers

transfersf.jpg

Squad

squadz.jpg

Objectives

objectives.jpg

===

The main headline this window, apart from strengthening in the areas after getting rid of the dead wood, was the sale of Cazorla to Inter. Receiving 14.25mil all in cash, meant I had some funds to play with, and getting his replacement from Benfica Nicolas Gaitan.

Hopefully I won't have lost too much bringing him in. Possible mistake I made was after January last year I had snapped up 18 yr old Leandro Oliveria Moura from Real Madrid for 10mil. That probably took a fair bit of my budget, with only around a 2mil given for the start of this year for accepting the challenge of a EURO cup spot in the league again. But he's fairly durable, so should be a decent squad player for the duration of my time here.

So the First XI won't have really changed much. I was close to getting rid of Rondon as there was a good striker available in the market. But then he scored a hatrick in the 1st leg of the EURO qualifiers. So that put that idea to bed. He'll be Van's replacement for this year.

League Table

xmastable.jpg

Results

xmasresults.jpg

Objectives

xmasobjectives.jpg

===

A pleasing first half of the season - probably an understatement :) Certainly didn't expect to have such a good first half of the season. Carrying on from where we left off, we've shown great consistency, along with some fantastic performances on the way. Unfortunately our worst game was a 2-2 home draw against 10 man Villarreal. A game where Barca dropped points that weekend, but we squandered the lead twice gifting them top spot before the Xmas break.

Neverthless I can't complain. A top 4 finish is now a serious possibility. However, financially we are strained. Bids have come in for both Samba and Demichelis in January. The offers have been accepted, after negotiating the deals to go through end of the year. To rid of them both, would be a fatal mistake.

So the reality of managing Malaga is setting in. Although a great budget for the first year, the owners don't seem to be willing to pump in funds continously to develop the club. After being linked with both the Chelsea and Barcelona jobs, I'll seriously have to consider my options at some point in the future. Perhaps a challenge of landing numerous domestic titles, and winning the Champions League with different clubs will become a personal career objective. But for now, Malaga still need to win a trophy to finally fill their cabinet.

Still in the Spanish Cup, the EURO cup, and somehow challenging for the league....can this be a year we achieve this?

So far!...but my plan to rebuild next year is screwed - both Demichelis for 5mil and Samba for 25mil don't want to leave for Porto and Real respectively lol. I wanted to get a keeper in January but no money... and Kameni is on International Duty for a bit it seems so I'm a bit buggered now. Had this problem with him last year aswell. I'll have to try just and make the CL group stages and hopefully make some money that way over the longer term.

]clubcrestmalaga.png

**Malaga C.F - News Headline**

After Joaquin offered to terminate his contract for 2.3mil, the Malaga boss has taken a huge gamble accepting the request. Since Kameni has been missing from the first team, Malaga have conceded 13 goals in 5 games. An unmotivated keeper, means a bad one. (I know that having played in goal myself!)

So in comes Mariano Andujar from at the time transfer listed Catania. For a fee of 1.1mil, it's not a bad deal. A very good backup keeper, whom some may consider to even challenge for a regular place, his debut for the club saw an immediate change of fortunes for The Anchovies.

Barcelona now look clear title winners, taking a 7 point advantage. The 11 point gap from 2nd to 5th spot at Xmas had come down to just a mere 4 points - though the latest result see's this rise back up to 7. Time will tell whether this was a worthwhile investment. Although Leandro has recently submitted in a transfer request, Joaquin's departure may provide him with some more playing time for the rest of the season. Can Malaga hold on for a top 4 finish?

EURO Cup Final Review

eurocupfinal.jpg

Player Ratings

eurocupratings.jpg

Overview

eurocupoverview.jpg

===

A very tense final against a strong well organised Lyon outfit. They finished 2nd in their domestic league, and are definitely Champions League standard with the quality they have in their side. We played a good controlled game for the most. But feared the worst when Buonanette went a bit ape just before the 90 minute mark. My players already tired, and having a limited bench short of numbers I thought we'd lose it late on.

Fortunately we had enough stamina in the tank to hold on for penalties. With luck on our side, and Kameni proving to be the size of a double-decker bus in the shootout...we came with a deserved victory in my opinion to bring Malaga's first ever major trophy home!

League Table

tablefinal.jpg

Results

resultsfinal.jpg

Objectives

objectivesfinal.jpg

Player Performance

playerperformancefinal.jpg

===

A second season gone - and another season fulfilling our objectives set. After the first half of the season, I thought we might find it more comfortable making the top 4. The table looks convincing, but we had alot of big games at the end of the season to play. The gap minimised to 4 points between us and Villarreal for 4th spot, but we held our nerve well. A pivotal 2-1 home win against Real Madrid helped aid in that. A 93rd minute winner from Rondon gave us the spoils who grabbed a brace for us in that game.

This game was followed up against Villarreal away. Down 1-0 at HT, things were looking tricky. But 3 late goals after the 75th minute gave us 3 vital points. From this point onwards top 4 was a banker.

To finish 4th ended up a great achievment. We had a fair share of injury problems, and had to rely on 19 year old Leandro to play first team for long term injuries to Krancjar and Afellay. The purchase of Andujar proved to be a great bit of business. Although only playing a handful of games, he was critical to getting our form back on track. He also played in the 2-1 home win vs Real.

The Spanish cup ended a bit sour against Sevilla. We took a thumping there, but were without 8 first teamers and a goalkeeper who was more interested in eating a bit of Kentucky Fried Chicken than making a cup Final for his club.

What for next season? We'll need to ensure we make the CL group stages. Not able to get rid of Samba for 25mil, and the directors at the stage of funding the club to keep us running will make it tough to improve our squad. But hopefully our successes will have interested some greater quality players to join us. I'm sure there will be some wheeling and dealing in a few places this off-season coming. That is providing no greater appealing job offer comes along...

Really good season mate, looks like it was backs against the walls stuff with injuries but you have finished in a good position in the league and got yourself a European trophy which is great. It's good you are setting realistic goals like just wanting to qualify for the CL group stages before wanting/expecting to get to the knockout stages etc. Keep up the good work.

Don't recognise that name actually. So I doubt I have. But would he even be at the club for the 2012/2013 season? How old is he when he starts the game?

He is 18 at the start and starts at Malaga scored 65 goals for me in one season.

Brilliant stuff in the league, I thought you might have been capable of grabbing a Champions League place. Beating Lyon in the final as well, great stuff.

Cheers guys. This transfer window so far isn't going too well though so far. Paloschi went on his release clause to Udinese - he was doing a really good job as a backup striker to Rondon. Going to be hard to get a replacement of decent value. Little cash to play with though from that, and a few other sales.

Getting to the knockouts would be nice with a bit of luck this year, and trying to get top 4 is what I'll be aiming for. Baptista is getting on a bit now, same with Demichelis so could do with a good year to get some funds in for replacements.

Missed out on a gem it seems then...I have to admit I've never been one for a youth policy lol. Ship them in, and ship em out if they aren't doing the bizz lol

Transfers

transfersp.jpg

Squad

squadmk.jpg

Objectives

objectives.jpg

===

A bit of a messy transfer window here. With the unfortunate departure of Paloschi who was a superb backup for Rondon up front last year, it was tricky to get a decent replacement. He went for only 5.75mil due to his release clause, activated by EURO Cup Semi Finalists of last year Udinese. At least I have the knowledge we knocked those chumps out last year :) After a bit of searching, Diego Costa from Athletico seemed available at around the same price. Perhaps not as good a teamplayer, but of Spanish nationality he may prove handy to have for European purposes.

Another cash sale of our Greek defender Papadopolous (gotta love those Greek names), enabled us to increase our budget further. So we've been able to spend quite a fair amount this year.

We drew Beskitas in our CL 3rd round qualifier - drew 0-0 at home, which made the 2nd leg very tricky indeed. With new players starting, and a league game tiring our some of my squad we were lucky making it into the group stages. We went a goal down to Almedia, but a set piece goal from Demichelis saw us level just before the half time whistle. With Besiktas pushing on for the winner, we caught them on the counter and took a 2-1 victory.

The opposite of this happened in our Euro Super Cup final against the Red Devils of Manchester United. Taking the lead early on, it worked against us as they produced a brilliant performance to blow us away after that. The score ended 2-1, but in all honesty it flattered us. We hung in there well for the most though, but shows the gulf in class when you play against an outfit with a few world class players in their ranks. Clearly we'll need a few of these players if we are going to progress to compete for the major trophies....

Whether this is viable long-term is another question. And for a club with not even a 30k Capacity stadium, we probably have other priorities first before we can make that attempt to the next stage.

League Table

xmastable.jpg

ECL

xmasecl.jpg

Results

xmasresults.jpg

Objectives

xmasobjectives.jpg

===

Quite hard to evaluate this first half of the season. To try and look at the club, and how we are doing realistically I have to be quite content. There was a great disappointment going out in a very tough ECL group though. Pitched with last year's winners Man Utd, and Benfica this was hard enough. And for the last 2 games, we had 6-8 first teamers missing. Unfortunately the later being against Benfica away... in a game if we won, we would have qualified. We lost 3-0 with a weak side out.

In the league, we haven't done aswell as last year. We are still competing at a high standard though. Part of the problem was we seem a bit leakier at the back this year. This prompted Demichelis moving out the club, as he just doesn't have the pace anymore to play the game we play. In addition, funds have gotten tight, and with players ageing a decision had to be made. Interest has always been high with Chris Samba. Real Madrid still wanted him, and offered 20mil as cash. Couldn't refuse the offer for our captain, so off he's gone.

With funds to spare, we have an opportunity to strengthen the size and quality of the squad. Players such as Shawcross, tranfer listed Benzema have come in...with potentially more activity happening before the transfer deadline ends.

After our success in the EURO cup, I'm actually prioritising the Spanish Cup and a top 4 finish again this year. It would be nice to win a domestic trophy. Just have to hope we avoid Real and Barca. We need to get through Real Sociedad first though to make the semi's.

clubcrestmalaga.png

**Malaga C.F Transfers**

Alot of activity has occurred in La Liga this Winter surprisingly, with a great deal involving Malaga. Prompting the transfer of cash came from the huge sale of their captain Chris Samba to Real Madrid for a fee believed to be around 20mil. In addition, outgoings included Demichelis, Andujar, Kranjcar, and Kameni for 10.25mil. All sales came in as cash in hand. With the successes of last year and current league position, the owners have placed their faith in the Malaga boss giving a huge budget potential to splash over this window.

Into Malaga arrive Shawcross, Benzema, Victor Ruiz, Axel Witsel, and Sirigu, being Kameni's replacement. The overhaul came about from the Champions League disappointment, in which 3 key players were missing. 2 again due to African internationals, and Rondon as like last year, suffering a 3 game ban for some stupidity on the pitch.

So 4 shipped out, and 5 coming in, a decent balance has remained. Leandro has also been sent out on loan for the remainder of the year. It's a bit of a gamble, as the side had been quite settled and achieving good continued success. But for the club to progress, these obstacles faced couldn't remain much longer. And with Samba reaching 30, many see this year being the last year some good money could have been made from his sale.

Concerned for the rest of the year? Most definitely, as there won't be alot of time for the players A) to Gel together, and B) get used to our system. History at the club suggests it often takes a good half a season before the new transfers start to find their form. Also without a real natural leader in the squad, will this have a detrimental affect on the side? Time will tell, if Malaga can again take 4th spot.

Europe will be sacrificed, but after a dramatic 93rd minute penalty awarded at The Bernabau in the 2nd leg of the Spanish cup Semi...converted by Kuzmanovic, Malaga have reached another cup Final. Athletic Bilbao will be the opponents, looking for revenge after The Anchovies knocked them out of Europe last season.

Copa Del Rey Review

delreyfinal.jpg

Player Ratings

copadelreyratings.jpg

Overview

copadelreyoverview.jpg

===

After going out the EURO cup to Inter, it was nice to be back in a cup with all my squad players available. Putting out consecutive strong teams out since the 5th round, this clearly was a priority to do well this year. Following the dramatic last minute winner against Real Madrid, gave Malaga the opportunity to win their second major trophy for the 2nd year running.

With the departure of Javi Martinez, Athletic certainly didn't look like the same outfit as in the previous two years. Currently in mid table obscurity, if Malaga played anything to what they were capable of, there was only going to be one winner.

New signing Benzema scored straight from a corner set piece, giving us the lead. We never looked back from this point. They hit the woodwork once, but that was the only point of note mentioning from Athletic's end. Going for broke in the last 10 minutes, saw us score an extra 2 goals, with eventual MOTM Benzema getting his brace.

So another great cup campaign for us this year. We are currently 4th in the table, and looking strong to making this spot secure. We've been 5th for a fair bit trailing behind Sevilla, but going out early in the EURO cup rounds has certainly helped keep our squad a bit fitter. This has definitely aided in our stronger finish. We just need to hang on for the last few games, and Champions League football beckons yet again.

League Table

finaltablel.jpg

Results

finalresults.jpg

Objectives

finalobjectives.jpg

Player Performance

finalplayerperformance.jpg

===

This was a season in trying to consolidate our league position, and have a good run in the champions league. It was a tough season at times, with the ECL disappointment of finishing 3rd, and not consistently staying in the top 4, meant in comparisson to last year's league performance, it was hard work maintaining our league position.

Athletico Madrid seem to be another side showing great potential. My scouts seem to keep recommending all their players, and we were on the end of a roasting when we played them 2nd time around. They'll certainly be a team pushing Real and Barca for the title next season .

We did however endure some cup success, and I'm delighted to help the club reach their second trophy in the space of 2 years. Didn't do as well in the EURO cup, but we've been there and done that. And for next season, there are more important priorities for development. This being making a close challenge for the title, and making the Champions League Knockouts this time around. That won't be easy though, as I'm sure we'll be put in the group of 3rd seeds, and we still have to qualify first. This wasn't easy against Besiktas this seas just passed.

I was very close to moving. And in due course, I probably will do. But I still have some unfinished business here. The two offers that came in were from the two FCB's. Bayern Munich, and the mighty Barcelona. Funnily enough my favourite club is listed as Real Madrid. So that was quite tempting to say the least! But with the progress we've been making, I'm happy to stick it out here for another year or two, and see how our finances pan out.

I do think though our stadium capacity will halt us, in being able to attract and afford the real top players. But I can only hope the board will be willing to help us that bit extra, for that extra 2% which will make all the difference in competing with the big sides domestically and in Europe.

clubcrestmalaga.png

**Malaga C.F - "Tempted, but loyalty to remain at Los Boquerones prevails"**

The Malaga boss had to think things through this Summer. Jobs offers came in from FC Bayern, FC Barcelona, and even his national side England all approached, but all failed. Still with unfinished business, the loyalty shown must please the Malaga board. But as expected, the wage budget has severely restricted the progress he was hoping the club to make for the forthcoming season.

This could be the hardest season yet, with not a great deal happening in the transfer market, and other larger domestic clubs being able to progress with their financial structure, top 4 seems to again be the best Malaga will be able to hope for this season.

Will a frustrating year prompt this year to be the last? Feeling coming out appears this will be the case, but time will tell...

Transfers

transfersu.jpg

Squad

squadr.jpg

Objectives

objectives.jpg

===

This ended up being a very big spending summer for Malaga. Finances didn't seem great early on, but after some cash sales and more importantly qualification for the European Champions League for a 2nd successive year, the wage restraints and budget shot up drastically.

The main improvements to the first XI have come down the left flank, and centre of defense. The previous year saw us leak alot of goals, so improvements were definitely needed if we are going to bring back the consistency we showed when Samba and Demichelis were rocks at the back in my 2nd year here. I'm hopefuly Shawcross and Papadopolous can create a good solid partnership to mimick this.

For our attacking potency, to aid with the big signing of Benzema last year, in comes Eden Hazard. Not apparently interested, we placed a bid anyway to see whether our new financial clout would tempt him. Indeed it did, paying wages at 90k per week it could be another huge signing for The Anchovies in their quest to play with the big boys.

We have a pretty decent squad now. But Barcelona, Athletico, and Real Madrid have also made big purchases. But with a bit of luck (which we haven't had yet with injuries so far), we could make a surprise challenge for the title now this year - that's what I'm hoping for at least.

League Table

xmastable.jpg

ECL

ecltable.jpg

Results

xmasresults.jpg

Objectives

xmasobjectives.jpg

===

So far so good this year. Although knocked out of the Spanish cup to Real Madrid, performance wise things aren't too bad. We've been able to bring in Spanish right back Azplicueta, who should suit our backline quite well. Santon seems to be quite injury prone, so definitely seemed to be a wise move.

Our ECL performance this year has been very good. Although suffering a disappointing home loss to bottom of the table Zenit, we recovered well beating them away from home in the return match. Taking a win at the Emirates in our last game, saw us top the group. Making the knockouts probably helped our ability to fund our right back purchase, along with the departures of Baptista and Victor Ruiz. Kuzmanavoic will also be leaving at the end of the season too.

League form has been pretty consistent so far. We've had a few disappointing results, but again the performances in those games didn't warrant defeat. So things are coming together quite nicely. I do stil think though we are missing a couple of players from being real close contenders for the league. We could do with one more real quality forward, to replace Gaitan on the right. More importantly, we need a match winning goalkeeper.

Sirigu seems to struggle in the way we like to play from the back, and he has yet to show he can be a match winner for the side. He has however shown the odd inconsistent game, gifting away points to the opposition. So that's definitely something I'll need to look at for investing in next year. But unfortunately no quality goalkeepers seem to be interested in joining us. Hopefully a good showing in this year's knockouts, and perhaps finishing in the top 2 without ECL qualification may aid in attracting what I believe to be the real missing piece of our puzzle.

We need to get this year out the way first though. And finishing 2nd with Real and Barca still having a better first XI and squad depth will be no easy task.

Could be a tough ask against that sort of transfer muscle.

Cheers. Yeah definitely. Although I'm making one step forwards, Real / Barca / Athletico seem to be making 2 steps foward. They just seem to be able to invest in that extra quality. Barca got Moura and Neymar. Athletico got Vrsajiko, Valero, Di Maria, Adebayor, and all their youth talents now shining through. And Real still have their young talent, and match winners in their side with Casillas, Ozil, Higuain and Ronaldo. I've got the weakest goalie of the 3 sides - that's what I really need to invest in. But won't be able to this year at least.

League Table

finalleaguetable.jpg

Results

finalresultsv.jpg

Player Performance

finalplayerperformance.jpg

===

So here was the end of my 4th season. We still continue to improve, and bag trophies. And it's fair to say we definitely had the best season of all the big Spanish side this year. After an early season victory against a weak backline of Barcelona, late drama unfolded in the last round of La Liga.

After being thumped by Olmpique Marseille in the semi final 2nd leg 3-0, Malaga's confidence could well have been shot. This came after a league defeat to Sevilla away from home aswell, which gave Barca a sniff of stealing the title from Malaga's grasp.

The drama? A 3 point advantage to Malaga, with the last game - a trip to the Nou Camp! Barcelona had a monstrous goal difference advantage. But fortunately for us, this doesn't mean jack 5h17 :) With head's to head's making the difference, and a 3-1 win in the home tie, losing by a goal would have seen the title come to La Rosaleda.

...going in at HT at 0-0, things seemed to be going okay. But soon after the break, the alarm bells started ringing. Lionel Messi breaking the deadlock with a 20 yard free kick bent into the top right hand corner. The Malaga fans were now fearing the worst, with Barcelona fully well knowing they could really get us under the cosh.

Further chances fell the way of Barca, but Sirigu in the Malaga goal was having an inspired game, making some critical saves to keep the score down to 1-0. Then on the hour mark, a free kick bent to the far post saw Papadopolous' head make clean contact with the ball, firing in the equaliser. A bullet header passed the helpless Victor Valdes looked to have given Malaga the impetus to hold on for the last 30 minutes.

Substitute Rondon coming on for the ineffective Gaitan then profited from more woeful set piece marking at the back. An inswinger from Witsel was pounced on after Pique fell asleep, giving Malaga a shock 2-1 lead with only 5 minutes left to play.

Barca did make a last gasp attempt, but it was all too late by this time. Messi breaking the high-line of the Malaga defense, tucking the ball passed Sirigu to end the game 2 a piece.

La Liga now Malaga's, and also the Spanish side to get furthest in the European Champions League this year, they have certainly set a high benchmark to try and further improve. With players ineligible for the ECL this year being the cause for two weak teams put out against Marseille, it may not be such a problem for next season....

But the Malaga boss has been well documented for saying his aim was to win all the Spanish Major trophies. He's now done that in 4 years at the club. But his side are currently at a reported 60mil debt. Although prize money and next season's funds are due in, it maybe time to jump ship to a larger club with a greater fan base and a greater foundation. No one can argue this is now a situation more deserving after the progression made, and the success endured.

On a side note, the Malaga boss got well deserved recognition, being awarded the Manager of the Year Award.

Archived