Quick Newbie Questions Thread

There is a "Stupid Questions" thread in the 'tactics' forum. I have need of one that does other topics and thought this may help other newbies as well.

I hope some seasoned players of the game and also those who know about football in some depth will subscribe and act as kindly patrons to us confused dunderheads.

So here's my first idiotic question: I have signed two players who have "amateur" status. I'm now worried that this is a level even below "P/T" (part time). So, is amateur status problematic in any way? Should I be avoiding amateurs?

Amateur contracts are good if you play way down in the leagues with a very limited wagebudget. You should try and get real contracts on your key players and fill out the squad with amateurs that only get paid when they play. I never had much trouble getting my amateurs poached and when I did they were easy enough to replace. If you find a real gem of a player you should get a real contrac on him as you at least would have the chance to make some money of him if some other team comes sniffing around.

Also if you are aiming for a quick promotion you probably will need to change a lot of players once that happen and then it is good to have amateur contracts on the players you wont be needing, signing long contracts to players that aren't key or are likely to be good enough after promotin can be a very bad move.

Thanks guys.

I basically don't have any money and also have a small squad. I too often find myself having to use a grey somewhere, usually if there's an injury. So I'm trying to avoid greys without spending any money. It sounds from your replies that I'm doing the right thing in those circumstances. My wage budget is already £20 over what I'm allowed to spend and I have £0 transfer fees available.

I'm playing in the second tier of Northern Ireland football.

Amateur contracts are good if you play way down in the leagues with a very limited wagebudget. You should try and get real contracts on your key players and fill out the squad with amateurs that only get paid when they play. I never had much trouble getting my amateurs poached and when I did they were easy enough to replace. If you find a real gem of a player you should get a real contrac on him as you at least would have the chance to make some money of him if some other team comes sniffing around.

Amateurs don't get paid for playing. Getting paid for playing would make a player semi professional/part time. The only money an amateur can receive is for travel expenses.

Archived