Match ball size

I've just returned to FM after not playing since FM2009. While I like the game and find it a lot more detailed than before - something I didn't think possible - my enjoyment is lessened somewhat by the size of the match ball in the in-game graphics. Unless the pitch is quite dark I find it almost impossible to see the ball. Is there a setting or add-on graphic for adjusting the ball size or zooming in on the play more?

I've just returned to FM after not playing since FM2009. While I like the game and find it a lot more detailed than before - something I didn't think possible - my enjoyment is lessened somewhat by the size of the match ball in the in-game graphics. Unless the pitch is quite dark I find it almost impossible to see the ball. Is there a setting or add-on graphic for adjusting the ball size or zooming in on the play more?

I said this when FM11 came out, the ball is way too small and still is now. Surely it wouldn't take very much just to increase the size? Or is there something we could edit ourselves? The ball is definitely too small and it's very difficult to see where the hell it's going, especially when it's on the far side of the pitch.

I agree. FM needs bigger balls! :) Although I think they probably are at the right scale they just seem so small and are hard to see at times because the 3D match graphics as a whole are very small anyway, especially in all views except the TV angle. I prefer watching games with sideline view and on bigger pitches the match ball and players can be tiny :( A zoom in / out option would be good as well as bigger balls.

You could try alternate camera angles, but unfortunately SI are limited in how close they can get to the pitch by licensing issues.

This seems to be a well worn excuse on these forums for anything and everything and its wearing very thin! Are you seriously suggesting that they need a special license to have a camera view closer to the action then currently?

This seems to be a well worn excuse on these forums for anything and everything and its wearing very thin! Are you seriously suggesting that they need a special license to have a camera view closer to the action then currently?

In FM11 there's a hidden close-up camera angle that requires extra files to unlock, so it is already in the game. Apparently SI uses it for testing but locks it out in the player's version.

People would just moan that every player has generic features & they all look alike, it would take less than a day for the forum to be flooded with 'Why can't it look like Fifa?' threads

People would just moan that every player has generic features & they all look alike, it would take less than a day for the forum to be flooded with 'Why can't it look like Fifa?' threads

This thread is about the size of the football being to small and the 1st reply from anyone linked with SI/Sega/this forum being SI cant zoom in any further due to licensing issues, I and most reasonable people wouldnt expect details seen on FIFA, but we should be able to zoom in a little more than we can currently and to blame licensing issues for this not happening is lame!!!

Exactly what i was thinking, i mean what license could SI breach by getting closer to the pitch ? the grass society law :D << sorry couldn't resist
I would assume that it's because of licensing of team/kit logos etc. If you could zoom in too far these could be visible, and si don't have the license rights?
Just seen this after i hit submit, a way around that would blur the sponsors on the shirt the closer you get.

I've had a go at increasing the ball size and making it brighter so its easier to see. Here's the download link if you want to try it and see what you think...

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21331689/brighter+ball.rar

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. Yes they do.

Seems SI have no qualms about people making all sorts of sky sports, bbc, and sentanta sports based skins etc, or fifa, addidas and puma ball mods, as well as all manner of kit logo's and team badges that SI probably don't have all the licenses for, so to avoid the licence issue with a closer 3D match view SI could make the camera view parameters available to mod. Thats how they seem to by-pass these licence rules.... by letting people mod the stuff they like to see in game themselves. If the 3D match is to evolve in any shape or form sooner or later SI will either have to get that closer 3D view licence, or allow people to mod it themselves.

I've just given it a quick try..... This ball is excellent mate, there's not much difference in size at all but somehow you've made it far more easy to see even when it's on the far side of the pitch.

Well done indeed and thanks for sharing it!

hey guys see this ball your talking about, when i download it what file do i put it in? do you have to start a new game to use it?

No mate you don't have to start a new game the 'new' ball just replaces the old one, he's included full instructions with the download so you should be able to follow it step by step.

I've just given it a quick try..... This ball is excellent mate, there's not much difference in size at all but somehow you've made it far more easy to see even when it's on the far side of the pitch.

Well done indeed and thanks for sharing it!

Yes I don't think the ball size actually increased despite me using a larger pallet, however removing the coloured stripes and SI logo and increasing the brightness & contrast seems to have done the trick. :thup:

Archived