+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game crashes every time

Amateur

Default Game crashes every time

Just bought the game for my iPad, but it crashes EVERY time I launch it. Never had this before with other games.

Please help.

Chrissy

Sports Interactive Alari Naylor's Avatar

Hi,

Could you describe the exact circumstances of the crash, which version of the iPad you have, and which OS version is installed?

One thing you could try first is fully powering off the iPad by holding down the power button for several seconds and then swiping when the prompt appears, followed by powering it up again. This has the potential to solve issues that may be caused by fragmented memory on the device.

Thanks

Amateur

Yes, I tried the power on/off already.

The game lads to the second credits screen then crashes. I have the original iPad and it is the latest Japanese OS.

Thanks for your help

Sports Interactive Marc Vaughan's Avatar

Out of interest do you have any problems with any other applications installed upon your device at all?

Just to note that we've checked the game with Japanese OS language selected and it loads correctly here. You could try removing and reinstalling the app?

Amateur

I tried this twice, but same result.

I have not connected the iPad to my computer yet (it is in my work office) but I cannot think that would be a problem.

Any other advice and if need be, can I get a refund?

Amateur

When I reinstall, it asks if I want to remove it from the game centre too. I selected remove.

Amateur

I bought the US and Japan version of the game, not the European version. I downloaded from the Japanese language app store where it states that the game plays in English only.

Amateur

The actual title of the game on my iTunes Japan receipt is Football Manager Handheld™ 2012 (US and Japan), v3.2 (4+). The app support link on iTunes Japan for the game brought me to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyS View Post
    I bought the US and Japan version of the game, not the European version. I downloaded from the Japanese language app store where it states that the game plays in English only.
    What that means is that it does not have a Japanese translation inside it, it runs fine and has been tested on an iOS device running various other languages to ensure its sane in all stores (including Japanese and Chinese for instance).

(the actual languages reported on the store isn't even totally correct for FMH as the game uses its own translation system rather than the normal iOS one - simply because the iOS one doesn't support genders etc. in the manner required for the complex sentences constructed in FMH)

If you are having problems with the game starting then it is normally down to:
    * Device not having been rebooted fully (so insufficient memory available to start app)
    * Corrupt game installation (redownload, reinstall product)
    * Problem with iOS install itself - reset device to factory settings and reinstall application

Hope this helps,

Marc

Amateur

hi Marc,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Appreciate it.

I have tried all three of your suggestions, but it is still the same, I get to the second screen with the game credits and then it cuts and crashes.

What do I do now? I bought the game mainly for this weekend which is a holiday here and I wanted to submerge in the challenges of the game...

Could I check which OS version your default factory install is please?

Amateur

It's 4.2.1, the same as my iPhone.

Amateur

Now the third day since I bought this game. This seems no nearer being resolved and I would like know about how to ge a refund. I will send the iTunes receipt as proof of purchase. Please inform me how o claim a refund.

Semi Pro

Have you tried changing your device's language to English and running it?
    http://fmhvibe.co.uk - The original Football Manager Handheld fansite

Amateur

I appreciate where you are coming from, but I am not going to change the settings to English every time I want to play the game. I live in Japan and obviously want Japanese language. There was nothing on the iTunes site when I bought this that I have o use English settings... Is this a common issue?

Amateur

I decided to try English settings, as result might help resolve the problem on technical side. However, there was no change under English language either, still crashes after second screen.

Semi Pro

That is very strange. Hope the guys at SI sort it out, they're very good so fingers crossed.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Dec9693 View Post
    That is very strange. Hope the guys at SI sort it out, they're very good so fingers crossed.
    yes, thanks. I guess it is the weekend, so that is why there has been little attention to this. I am most worried about this spreading to other apps on my iPad, a kind of irrational fear I know.

Amateur

I have no idea if anyone is dealing with this. If you technical guys prefer to contact me by email, that is fine. Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions about what is wrong, how I might resolve this?

Its about to turn 9am here, please bear with me I've a busted ankle at the moment from playing football yesterday afternoon ....

To confirm you've reinstalled the OS operating system and reset your device to factory settings already? - can you confirm what that default OS version is please?

PS - Also is this an iPad2 or iPad1 you're running on?

Amateur

It's an iPad 1 running 4.2.1 Japanese language OS.

I wasnt trying to pressure you at all, it is clear from the forums that you guys do a great job, I was just unsure if this should maybe go to a personal email level.

If you want to email me directly my email is marc.vaughan@sigames.com and you're more than welcome to - I'll get my iPad 1 running the game in Japanese tonight and see how things go - but I know QA have already had things setup in their labs in this configuration in a stable fashion so its really a matter of trying to ascertain what is different with regards to their devices/setups and your own (it could be a failure of something on your device if you've already done a full reinstall of the OS*).

Please do realise though that (1) I'm based in Florida (so 5 hours off UK time and heaven knows what off Japanese), (2) I'm a developer and while I want to help support my products to the best of my ability I'm often busy on coding tasks or in meetings - so sometimes it will take a few hours before I reply to an email.

*For example one of the common early problems with FMHi 2010 was that the 'shake to continue' feature was defaulted on for the first release, some users (about 1%) had faulty devices which through they were always shaking which had serious consequences to their play until we ascertained what was happening and defaulted it to 'off' for them.

Amateur

Hi Marc,

thanks. As long as I know you are dealing with it - which you clearly are - I will leave it in your capable hands. I have had a similar problem once before with, coincidentally, another soccer-related app, the Arsenal FC iphone app. Very occasionally, other apps cut out suddenly when in use, but I suspect that is memory-related.

Its working fine for me on my iPad1 - I've setup a few different configurations here and played for 15-20 minutes on each and it seems stable and sane.

Can I ask you - which language are you actually using in game? (I'm presuming English but I might be incorrect?).

PS - Also can you confirm how much diskspace you have available? - in order to start the application you'll need around 300-350Mb of free space on your device, if this isn't available then the game will fail to start (I've managed to replicate this in my tests here and while not exactly the same as you're describing it will show what appears to be a 'splash' page and then fail to start).
    This is simply because all apps are stored compressed on disk and need to 'uncompress' before they run - if there isn't enough free space to do so then they will fail to start.
    Last edited by Marc Vaughan; 14-02-2012 at 06:07.

Amateur

1) I have never got past the second title screen. I get the SI logo screen, then the league credits, but then it crashes every time, same place. So I cannot actually select a language for the game, just my default Japanese iPad language setting.

2) the free memory. On the iTunes it says 1.58 GB

Thanks for the help.

Hi again - do you think you can try updating to iOS5 and see if that helps with the issue?

We're a bit puzzled by this, we've tried a few different configurations of iPad 1 and Japanese OS language here and we haven't had any problems running the game at all. If it was a widespread issue with our game, we'd definitely have a lot more people experiencing this. Have you modified/jailbroken the OS in any way or done anything else unusual that may affect the configuration of your device?

Amateur

Hi Atari,

No, it is unmodified since purchased on the first day of release in Japan, two years ago.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Alari View Post
    Hi again - do you think you can try updating to iOS5 and see if that helps with the device?
    Sorry, I don't want to do this. The game should be fine with this version.

Semi Pro

Sorry Chrissy I think if other apps have had the same trouble it may be your device and judging by the QA being done it seems very likely. Maybe updating to iOS5 meant Apple have fixed the problem so it would work however if it is external which this seems to be SI have no way of knowing for sure if your device isn't with the latest fixes.

If you don't fancy iOS 5, at the very least you should consider updating to iOS 4.3 if only for security reasons.

I can't promise it will magically make the game run (we're beginning to suspect the issue may be something specific to your particular piece of hardware), but it's worth a try and the other benefits you get from it (better security, far better web browsing performance, other bugfixes) will be more than worth your while.

Amateur

I'll reply to you both.

Firstly, I have only ever had one problem with another app, and it was an issue with the app itself, not my device. The Arsenal FC app had a problem which affected thousands of iPad users, not just mine. Let me repeat: none of the other apps on my device crash.

Secondly, the OS I choose to use is my business. I take on board your advice, but it has nothing to do with fixing this game.

If you feel that it cannot be fixed (which is the suggestion) then I would appreciate your advice about a refund. I am not happy about this app being on my device because of fears about its problem spreading.

Finally, I appreciate all your help and the tone of this message should not detract from that.

Semi Pro

Is it official OS or jailbroken? I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem from this and I speak to several people who use the same version as you - assuming it is 2012.

Amateur

Hi Dec9693

I have already answered this question. Please read the messages. Are you part of the technical team too?

Semi Pro

Hello, sorry I misunderstood the message you posted.

No I am not part of SI but I have seen many issues relating to both the iOS and PSP in my time coming onto the forums that I've managed to fix. Just trying to help. The only thing I can really suggest is updating your iOS as it is currently very outdated and Apple do release fixes for rare issues such as these in updates.
    Apart from that I don't see any fix myself though I hope the brilliant QA guys prove me wrong, otherwise I am sure they'll give you SEGA's Email for a refund if you can provide proof it doesn't work and proof of purchase.

Amateur

Like you, I enjoy the game. I have played the full Mac version for a few years.

Again, the OS which I use is irrelevant to this as I bought the game in good faith that it would work on the version that I have. If I have to update, then the information on the iTunes website is incorrect and I would not have purchased it in the first place.

Sorry if thi sounds awkward, I am not trying to be. But I do have consumer rights too.

Semi Pro

I can understand that completely but I play on iOS 4 too and it works for me, you may be 1 in 1000 in this instance sadly. I think you shouldn't worry about this spreading though as if what you say about the Arsenal (boo I'm a Chelsea fan ;)) app is correct then it is an app problem not a device one.

Sorry, I don't want to do this. The game should be fine with this version.
    It should be and indeed is with all of our test devices here - hence we are conjecturing that it is something to do with that particular OS install on your particular device, I believe if you upgrade it may well fix your issue.

Can you explain why you are unwilling to upgrade? - especially as you've indicated previously that you downgraded and restored your device to factory settings earlier, what was the original OS version when you had the issue? - also what was the factory OS version incidentally so we can try and ascertain the rough age of your unit (as there are some build differences between the various age of devices with regards to components).
    Last edited by Marc Vaughan; 15-02-2012 at 02:32.

Amateur

Hi Marc,

the OS which I use is irrelevant. If I have to update then I repeat I was misled by the Itunes website.

This is an original iPad purchased on the very first day of release in Japan, in May 2010, I think. The OS which I used now and last week is 4.2.1.

I hope this helps.

the OS which I use is irrelevant. If I have to update then I repeat I was misled by the Itunes website.
    I don't think that you have been mislead at all - we have installed and proven that the game is stable on an iPad (and various other devices) using the 4.2.1 iOS version - leading us to believe that either it is a problem with the particular OS install that you have active or with your device itself, at present I've been unable to ascertain which.

This is an original iPad purchased on the very first day of release in Japan, in May 2010, I think. The OS which I used now and last week is 4.2.1.
    You have obviously upgraded the iOS version previously then (original release for that age device was 3.2) - I heavily suggest you consider upgrading it to the latest version available - or at least explain your reluctance to do so as at present I'm somewhat surprised that on one hand you've indicated you've done a factory reset on your device (which involved you then having to reinstall all apps and data from scratch) but are unwilling to update to a later and more advanced OS ....

Amateur

are there no codes etc from the iPad which I can locate and send you to aid your investigation?

I have no other problems with any other apps/movies etc on my iPad and see no reason to change its settings.

I have poof of purchase and I can send a video screenshot if absolutely necessary to prove that it crashes in the way I described.

I would be grateful for a swift decision on how you wish to proceed with this as it is consuming a lot of my time.

Amateur

I just saw your later reply.

I have strong reasons for not wishing to upgrade and I do not wish to go down that road as I know that this will then descend into you trying to convince me why I am wrong in believing that my device is best suited to its current OS.

None of the other apps/movies are giving me problems in this way and I am more than content with how the iPad operates.

I see no reason why I should have to explain myself. The app should work on my iPad's OS but it does not. If other apps were giving me similar problems then I might agree, but they are not.

I will gladly send a short video of the app crashing on launch along with the receipt of purchase from iTunes Japan last Friday.

I have strong reasons for not wishing to upgrade and I do not wish to go down that road as I know that this will then descend into you trying to convince me why I am wrong in believing that my device is best suited to its current OS.
    That is obviously your right - we have however explained that it is very likely your current OS install which is causing the problem, possibly because the install is corrupted in some manner.

As such in the past these kind of issues have generally been fixed by the person installing a clean version of the most up to date OS available.

As such I'm afraid I think it is unlikely that we will be able to assist you further as unfortunately you're refusing to consider the most likely possible solution, if you wish to contact either SEGA or Apple and explain that your situation then you are obviously welcome to do so (I'm a developer and have nothing to do with the business side of things - the other chaps trying to assist you here are internal QA chaps at SI and again unable to assist in this regard).

I'm sorry we couldn't be of more assistance to you.

Amateur

I am sorry, but you have shifted your position here.

You are now saying "it is very likely your current OS install which is causing the problem" whereas before it was just an avenue that you wished to explore.

If that is your best advice then I will update to the latest OS. You are the experts.

If you can assure me that I will be refunded if this suggestion does not work, then I will try updating.

There is no way I want to start meddling with my iPad's settings for weeks on end in the hope that this will be resolved.

That is the situation which I am trying to avoid. As I say, no other apps are giving me problems, which from my perspective suggests the iPad is fine.

But if you are saying otherwise with strong conviction, then I will follow that advice.

Amateur

just to repeat.

I will update to to the latest OS.

I have reasons not to, but will do so if you are convinced this will resolve my problem.

However, I do not want this to be the first of many "well, that did not work, now try this with your iPad too."

I have had a similar experience on my Mac with the technical guys at Apple and it just screwed up my whole system after making all the alterations that they wanted.

Amateur

Hi Marc,

no word from you. I guess you are busy.

Here is my suggestion. I will update to the latest OS via my Mac's iTunes. This will take a day or so as I have to check a few things first.

Hopefully, that will work and the issue will be sorted.

In the case that it doesn't solve the issue, I need to know what you plan to do.

For my part I will satisfy you that you have not been hoodwinked by sending proof that the app does not load, that other apps do (hopefully!) load and that I purchased this app last Friday.

I am most concerned that your attitude is "well, the app is fine, so it must be the device itself", and you then start saying "well, now try this to your iPad and see if that works."

Presumably you have a reference number for this test case and an email address where I can write to get a refund, presumably at your company (this forum is the only link on the iTunes page for the Football Manager app).

I do not think I am being unreasonable. I understand where you are coming from as a developer. I hope you can understand my position as a consumer too.

Its just gone 6am here, I've been up since 4am but have been busy with development and haven't had a chance to check the forums for which I apologize.

In a short while I've got to take my eldest son to school and then my youngest son to the doctors for an appointment - so won't be online for some time from around 7.30am onwards.

I'm not trying to cast doubt on your veracity at all and I'll look forward to your email.

Amateur

hi Marc,

thanks for the reply. I am confused... do you want me to write to your email address?

I think the ball is in your (SI) court, so I will wait patiently to hear how you wish to proceed.

Please let me know how you get on with upgrading the OS - if this doesn't work then by all means email me.

Amateur

Hi Marc,

I sent you an email yesterday. Pleaser check your spam filter etc. if you haven't seen it yet. Hope to hear from you.

I sent you an email yesterday. Pleaser check your spam filter etc. if you haven't seen it yet. Hope to hear from you.
    Hi - thanks for the email I've passed it down the line to someone who will hopefully be able to help you (I'm a developer and don't get involved in business stuff); they'll undoubtably request the store invoice/receipt information you offered previously in due course.

Amateur

I am having the same problem that I get to see the game for 2 seconds then it crashes every time. Help me please…

Quote Originally Posted by marieweaver132 View Post
    I am having the same problem that I get to see the game for 2 seconds then it crashes every time. Help me please…
    Firstly, could you try fully rebooting your device (hold down power button, swipe to power off, and then restart it)?

Quote Originally Posted by marieweaver132 View Post
    Can you let us know how much space is left on your device - when an application is run it requires the space to unzip itself prior to running, for FMH that is around 350Mb minimum (plus another 100Mb working space recommended) ... now some of this will be 'pre-reserved' by the OS (ie. not shown as free space); but I expect at least some will be required to be vacant.

+ Reply to Thread