Any use for this newgen?

newgen.jpg

This newgen is a CB and has just been capped by Spain he is 22 years old and has decent attributes but very poor heading compared to what I like in my defenders. How would you use him? Retrain him as a defensive fullback or a DMC?

You know heading is all about how good he is at directing the header don't you Acid?

For defensive headers its more important to win them compared to where you put them, he isn't aiming at goal simply clearing the ball.

He looks a top class DC, just a little limited with the ball at his feet. I certainly wouldn't want him at fullback or DM where players need more technique. DC is his place, maybe with a limited role if you want so he just does the basics.

His a centre back with one weakness his heading. If you transform him into a DM his got two, first touch and passing both starting from a lower level. As a full back his horribly limited offering nothing going forward.

I'd either try and get his heading up four points or accept his not great in the air and try getting his pace and acceleration up a point or two and use him as a covering CB.

Fair enough, but that's the kind of role I'd play him. Decent mentals, hard-working, excellent acceleration for a CB, will cover the run and make a decisive saving tackle (whether he'd start in the right place to do so is why that relatively low Positioning is a problem). Knock his mentality a few notches lower than your other CBs, maybe.

I think limited defender/cover (classic tactics translation: lower mentality than other CB, low closing down, high passing, easy tackling) would be a waste of his talents given his work rate and tackling. I would actually do the opposite. Standard centreback stopper (higher mentality, high closing down, hard tackling, short passing) used almost as a pseudo-DM. That way he'll rush forward to quickly break up attacks.

He is a back-up player for a higher league club. His reputation due to his international call-up could justify a squad-rotation role with a view to sell him and make a profit. I would not use him anywhere in a defensive zone in a constant basis.

I would probably play him as a CB and see how he does and if he fails I would sell him. One thing I have learned during the 20 years I have played management games is that attributes isn't everything not even all that much. All too often I see high pace acceleration players being totally outrunned by slow players, bad long shot players scoring from long range on a fairly regular basis, crap attribute strikers scoring for fun. Not to mention finding players with really crap attributes that get recommended highly by 5 world class scouts and players with good attributes being recommended about as highly as a traffic cone. If a player plays well I couldn't care less about his attributes and the other way around.

I guess it depends on what level your playing at but he looks a pretty darn decent centreback to me. I do agree that his heading attribute is a tad low, but just train him very hard on Ball Control and individual focus on Heading, and he'll improve a couple of his weaknesses at once. The guy is a physical beast too, and would be mega at man-marking forwards who receive ball to feet.

Archived