FM 2008 Update Research Thread [Poll] - Which Update Would You Prefer To See?

Which Update Method Would You Prefer To See/Play?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Update Method Would You Prefer To See/Play?

• Empty Player db - New 11/12 season players added to squads during updating
    • Default FM08 db - Update 07/08 season player-by-player, creating an 07/08 and 11/12 season db mix

Hi folks,

Following on from my previous FM08 update research thread, this is now going to be the definitive version of my research poll/comments thread. I've extended the vote on this for a few more days until Monday 13th February, which should be enough time to get a good amount of votes and opinions in here on this subject for me to confidently begin my FM08 update once again.

So, a brief history and what this thread is all about...

I'm thinking of attempting my old silly-ambitious FM '08 update again, updating the old classic to current stats using FM '12 as a base. I'm looking for opinions and votes on aspects of this update, starting with an immediate 'issue' that prompted me to create this thread in the first place, that being the database structure itself...

I've been experimenting with two methods of editing the database from 07/08 season to 11/12 season, they being:

1. Creating a totally empty player db. This will create an update thin on actual, edited players for the foreseeable future and is therefore populated by 99.99% newgens, but you will know that all created players will be accurate to the 11/12 season.

OR

2. Keeping the default FM 2008 db 'as-is', gradually editing it player-by-player to the 11/12 season. This will create an update consisting of a mixture of old season players and updated/new ones.

So I put it to you all now, which would be your prefered option for a database update? - which would you rather see/play?

Both options will improve as I add players to the db of course, but for a long while they would stay in these formats I would imagine.

I'll be creating an 'official' update thread in the Editor's Hideaway in the near future, which will contain updates on my progress with this, a link to it will be posted here.

Thanks in advance for your votes and any input, I aim to collect as much feedback as possible and start ASAP, due to the shere amount of work that either option poses.

Empty DB is better but i think you can't do it. One man need few years to make such database. Maybe you can do it for few biggest leagues, but not for all playable leagues in FM2008. Especialy if you do it manualy in fm editor.

You should work in last year Munkpojken's update. It is the best update for 2010/2011 season with corect player ages, grades and transfers from allmost total world. In that database you only need to do transfers for this year.

Hi, yeah I've played Munkpojken's update in the past, it is a fantastic example of the 'classic' default db option (number 2 in this poll). He edited a lot of players so 07/08 season players are only noticeable on lower league teams and he did player histories like I always do in my updates.

The only problem with picking up where an old update left off is you can spend just as long altering the old records to exactly how you want them in your update, so in the long run it's still preferable to create your own update.

It is indeed an almost impossible task to update the whole of FM 2008, I'm constantly chasing a moving target of present FM versions getting stat updates, which then have to be updated into FM 08, so effectively the process gets re-done every 6 months or so.

I released a couple of betas for an FM 2007 update last year so I appreciate how difficult the task will be and I certainly won't be aiming for 100% world coverage, but I do aim to update as much as I can, starting most likely with the English Premiership sometime next week hopefully.

But I will be releasing fairly regular beta downloads of the update as I go along though so you'll all have something to play. :)

Hi everyone, there's now an official thread for the update in the Editor's Hideaway up and running, where I'll eventually be posting info on the update to during the coming weeks/months.

You can find it here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/298125-MorrisseyMuse-s-FM-2008-Update

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow's your last day to get your votes in, so if you've not yet voted but are interested in expressing your opinion on how this update will be setup, then cast your vote now!

Leave a comment too if you want, opinions help, cheers! :)

We've had 12 votes so far (with empty db winning 8-4 currently), but many, many more views, PM's and general interest in the update, so thanks again to all of you for your interest, feedback and offers of help, it's all appreciated. :)

Once this poll ends, hopefully it won't be long before I start posting the first of many regular progress updates, which you'll find in my official update thread:

Editor's Hideaway, 'MorrisseyMuse's FM 2008 Update': http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/298125-MorrisseyMuse-s-FM-2008-Update

The thread contains a basic outline of what the update is about and the history of it, I'll add more details (features, etc.) when it's closer to the time of releasing a beta demo.

I'll also be posting pics in there and - eventually - download links for the beta downloads, so keep an eye on that thread for more info. :)

Haha, I do appreciate people wanting a truly authentic experience of the game's start year being accurate as well, it's something I'd love to do however it's hardcoded and therefore not editable.

All written histories, transfers, etc. will be in context so that the 07/08 season = the 11/12 season in the update, meaning new signings can/will be created, correct competition history/winners are up to date, etc.

I know you're not going to see De Gea in 2012 in the game (not in the 1st season at least :)), but with the hardcode 'limitation' that's as good as it can be. The player histories and 'player cleansing' that I create/update are something I'm always particularly enthusiastic about in my updates.

There's a lot of people on these forums that still love and/or prefer the older versions of FM (myself included), and this is aimed at hopefully giving all those interested a fun, accurate update to play and another, new reason to go back to playing FM08. :)

I hope you'll give it a go anyway. :)

So the vote is now closed, thanks to everyone who voted, commented and offered their support on the project so far.

It was close in the finish, but an empty database idea won in the end, so I'm now going to begin erasing all players from the database, after which I'll begin editing proper, hopefully sometime in the next few days, keep an eye on the update thread in Editor's Hideaway from now on for progress updates. :)

Archived