Depressed with the game

Im so sad and depressed that unlike previous games where i just guessed and used basic tactics to win everything i cant do that with the new one, im not enjoying it and reading what other people are saying it makes me seems crap at the game. Even though i was gd i think at the others. I have wasted time and electricity on the FM series, but it still one of favourite games. The irony.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the issues i have are i can play dangerous formations like 4-2-2-2 (well 4-4-2 with wingers) at home against the likes of man utd and arsenal and beat them. yet try it away against lower table teams you get outplayed.

players seem to magically lose ability when they travel? then find it again when they get back?

the fun i have is seeing who i can acctually sign for my club in the early days

Im getting more alienated with this game, doesnt seems like anyone wants to give me any advice.

What advice have you asked for?

Have you looked at the stickies in the tactics forum?

Try reading through some of the links in the thread below if you want to learn. No-one likes hearing someone whine.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/217465-Forum-Rules-FAQs-and-Important-Links-Thread-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

Im not whining im hust saying how im feeling. I keep bloody losing home and away, The same team i could win the league with in this game, i had won the league 10 times in the last game and that was just doing basic things. ARGGGGG. Why is people here so unhelpful. I have read that part if the forum but doesnt help.

Im not whining im hust saying how im feeling. I keep bloody losing home and away, The same team i could win the league with in this game, i had won the league 10 times in the last game and that was just doing basic things. ARGGGGG. Why is people here so unhelpful. I have read that part if the forum but doesnt help.

Unhelpful? We have been nothing but helpful to you but you seem to ignore all our suggestions! That section is where all the knowledge resides, go there and read up on the game properly!

It takes time yes but its worth the effort if you want to do well that bad.

I think you need to take a long hard look at how you play the game and why, SI don't set out to make a pushover game... what would be the fun in that? If you want to win that bad go into the editor and fill your favorite teams squad with super players with max stats.

People do think you are whining when you complain about things like your threads not showing up, helping you with suggestions and making an effort to make it easier for you for you to just ignore everything they say and keep on stating the same things over and over.

Im not stating any over and over again, i am taking what people are saying but it doesnt bloody help. I aint no cheater that i would use the editor. I just want to be as great and successful as i used to be, im doing same things as i was b4 in this one but no no avail. sSorry if im whining but i really want to consistent results. Its comments like these which seem to be full of attitude. I thought there would be more nice people here.

As a newbie in FM I can tell you that I have won my first 5 games in Brazil's Pernambuco State Championship as Sport Recife w/default tactic 4-2-2-2, Standard/Attack strategy w/the occasional instruction as needed. Hang in there. One can get into this game and get lost in the data and much to do.

So what are you doing that is so different, as I kind of figure, if I had won the league 10 times in previous versions, I would do ok if not very well in this version

Forget about tactics, forget about advices, forget all about everything you know about football. I'm running 4th season in my save game, got one Champions League in my pocket and 2 domestic league titles and 3 domestic cups. My formula goes beyond all known understanding, in the games my team is favourite I play counter attacking football, in the games my team is up against all odds I play suicidal attacking football. SI have done everything possible to destroy any possible exploit in favour of Human Managers and created a lot of others in favour of AI teams. End result? A total blooper of a game when you (human manager) can win all available to you doing everything against common sense. Go figure. :D

I really don't understand how you can say this omaroo, yes there are a lot of arrogant, know-it-alls who talk to people as though they are idiots, just for asking a simple question but there are an awful lot of guys in here who go to no ends to help people out. you must just be asking the wrong questions or the wrong people mate.

after new patch it's all about reputation and morale. also get fast players, they pretty much rule in this game, no matter how bad their technical or mental stats are if they are faster they will get ahead of the opposition therefore getting more clean cut chances and eventually score more. i started a game with a low reputation team and hired a striker with 15 pace and stamina and 11 finishing, he ended up the season with 20 goals due to his speed and believe he still missed a lot...

Forget about tactics, forget about advices, forget all about everything you know about football. I'm running 4th season in my save game, got one Champions League in my pocket and 2 domestic league titles and 3 domestic cups. My formula goes beyond all known understanding, in the games my team is favourite I play counter attacking football, in the games my team is up against all odds I play suicidal attacking football. SI have done everything possible to destroy any possible exploit in favour of Human Managers and created a lot of others in favour of AI teams. End result? A total blooper of a game when you (human manager) can win all available to you doing everything against common sense. Go figure. :D

Yeah this works better than you'd expect but doesn't completely defy logic. I think part of it is that sometimes against bigger teams they try to push up meaning if you attack them you can find large holes and also the fact your generally pressing higher up the pitch allowing them less time on the ball stops some of there more creative players dictating things. On the flip side against lower sides playing a counter strategy often draws them out allowing you more space if you are patient whereas if you go attacking they never get out of there half and always have 9/10 players behind the ball and you end shooting from range or hitting hopeful crosses into an overcrowded penalty area.

All that being said I wouldn't necessarily use it as a rule and generally start on standard and change as the match progresses.

This works because defending in the game is horrible. In reality if you go gung ho against a good team, 9 times out of 10 their superior defenders will deal with your threat and their superior attackers just pick you apart. In FM every mediocre player with a bit of pace can run rings around the best defenders in the game.

FM12 is the best one so far for me.Players do exactly as i want them to do,tactics are working properly...can't complain at all.Omaroo do you have a vision how you want to use you players when building the squad?

Try this...but it will take some time rebuilding ...

4 defenders in line,zonal marking,offside trap.DCs must be 17+heading.FBs with high tackling and 12+ accelaration and crossing.

DM all rounder

ML/MR operating more like box-to-box midfielders-high accelaration,dribbling,pace,crossing

2 AMC-one support ,one attack-high mental abilities,long shots,accelaration,creativity.

Striker-17+ Accelaration,good finishing,long shots,heading,creativity

The team should control the game with short or direct passes going through the DM(hidden plamaker/free man when the team has the ball).Counter attack on and also try through balls from time to time.Tempo slightly above normal(but still staying in the normal range).

The tactics seem completely useless now. My most defensive tactic that worked in 2011 almost always concedes me a goal within 10 minutes. I've tweaked every player on the pitch but they're all useless even when I have 2 defensive mids.

It's probably just the same old issue of them sticking 4 guys as strikers like in all previous FM's. It just makes tactics useless.

The tactical side of this game is just not good enough! If you look at some of the tactics in the download section, which are successful, are all weird that you would never use in real life. The defending is horrific, in fact, it really isn't football. I love management games and have always loved FM, and, I do love this version too but I am still disappointed with it.

This works because defending in the game is horrible. In reality if you go gung ho against a good team' date=' 9 times out of 10 their superior defenders will deal with your threat and their superior attackers just pick you apart. In FM every [b']mediocre player with a bit of pace can run rings around the best defenders[/b] in the game.

It's almost impossible to lose with pacy front line. Fast, but otherwise poor, striker or winger will steam past best defenders time and again.

Yes marty78, not a rule, but it works 8 out of 10 times. :) I'm managing FC Porto, and reality is, in Portugal there are only 3 natural candidates for league title, which are FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting. Once in a while, Braga steps up for the fight, meaning you have at least 24 matches against minnows, and in FM12 I found myself loosing points against them, dominating the matches (65% ball posession and 30 shots against 2 or 3 and sometimes 0) and I was going out of my mind with goalless draws or 0-1 defeats, now I play counter against minnows and with 35% or 40% ball posession and 5 or 6 shots I thrash them every single time. :)

I dont get why it was decided by SI to reduce the patch releases. Let's be honest, it is impossible to fix everything with one patch remaining

I really do appreciate all the comments and help from u guys. Like i have said before and even now. I love the fm series, without a doubt one of my all time fav games, but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding. Im no football expert and some of the tactics some of u have mentioned i have rarely ever used, but i do want to now and get the success back and know more than the basics. BTW i have the patch 11.0.4 i think and not the latest one, does that make a difference.

. . . but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding.

Can you post a screen shot of your formation /tactic and another of your squad..... I am curious to see what it is you are doing

I really do appreciate all the comments and help from u guys. Like i have said before and even now. I love the fm series, without a doubt one of my all time fav games, but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding. Im no football expert and some of the tactics some of u have mentioned i have rarely ever used, but i do want to now and get the success back and know more than the basics. BTW i have the patch 11.0.4 i think and not the latest one, does that make a difference.

Go to FM->Game Status. What does it say next to Version?

I've played with all sorts of formations and mentalities just in this version. I always find success, but each time I try to apply my tactics from the last team I have ended up having to make new ones from scratch.

Which tactic works really, really, really does depend which team you are and who you are playing. The AI is still a little too weak against wildly attacking tactics, though I personally lean towards very cautious tactics and still come up trumps. Keep at it, experiment a bit. Try learning a little extra about the RL game and then apply it in FM. You'd be surprised at how often that works.

RL = real life...

Meaning take some time to read articles on Zonalmarking.net and other various websiteS. It helps a lot to take a bit of time and look at different tactical theories and then try to implement them into FM. I've been doing this recently and it has greatly enhanced my FM experience. The best part about this being a game is that if something doesn't work or you get frustrated, you can always take a break or start a new save with some fresh, new ideas.

But i have always played the fm series as it is, its really strange people suggesting reading up on real life tactics, i doubt people do that with all games.

I read up on fencing techniques for World of Warcraft.

In all seriousness though, if a game is supposed to simulate real life professional football, don't you think it would be useful to have a modicum of knowledge about real life tactics? Or should guesswork be enough?

Smaller teams tend to play ultra defensively against big ones. They park the bus, try to congest space and to do that they play narrow and deep. If you try to dominate them with pressing and high defensive line, the whole match is played on their side of pitch and that makes it even harder to find space. If the opposition is well organized you will never score. A common approach to combat this is to drop deeper. That will spread both teams over the entire pitch and create lots of space. That's why counter attack may work so well against smaller sides. Of course the opposition might not fall for this, but that's football. In such cases I'd try to make a better use of set pieces.

wwfan i have always had success on other fm games on what i knew, so reading real life tactics makes me seem crap now as i have never read about it before but i know some stuff about real life footy but not alot. The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.

I think part of the issue is the game simply runs more like a real game. Gone are the hideous exploits like the corner and morale bug, gone are the 'fast wingers win everything' tactics, gone is the 'pace is king' of old FMs. In older versions strong playes werent really worthwhile except it defense and maybe one bullish forward. Now though I play teams which work really well sitting back and being really solid just robbing the ball alot, pace and dribbling are much closer to reality now. In FM11 as much as I enjoyed it, all you needed was two super fast wingers and full backs and you destroyed everyone.

Basically you have to sort of unlearn all the bad habits of old FMs, which is why you see people posting stuff like 'my tactic which won me 20 CLs in FM11 is crap now'. The tactics now seem to be less about exploiting flaws in the ME and more about being sensible. In FM11 you could happily play with 2 DMs and only have wingers and forwards up front and be effective. Now you end up just losing possession alot, you need to consider your players positioning more in this version. Often when you cant break down smaller teams its cause your pushed up way to high and everyone is almost permanently offside, link players are much more important in this version.

Thats not to say its perfect, it can be really frustrating, especially coming from FM11 as it plays so differently but Im starting to prefer it, the goals I score are more varied and games seem more fluid and dynamic.

The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.

Ok, this seemingly descending into some weird form of trolling, and if I am wrong, and you are being genuine, then I will gladly apologise.

The thing that strikes me, is that in various threads you have created regarding your tactics not working, and how disenchanted you are at no longer being a demi god in others, many people have offered encouragement and suggestions to try and aid you, further some of those people are whom many would consider to be very knowledgeable regarding the game.

What is annoying is that with all the advice offered you are still appear not to be proactive, rather, just continually harp over and over the same thing. Yes, I am having a dig, not a massive one though. Bottom line is you need to man up a little, start looking at some of the advice and suggestions and take a more proactive approach.

Use your tactical help thread and start posting screen shots and explain your formation and your roles and the things you are doing in a match, and stop wanting someone to hand you the answer on a platter.

In the end it is going to be up to you.

I really am not trolling, i am trying to follow advice, but seems there is new advice all time such as reading a guide. Now trust me i really respect the guys who are the best at this game but im just suprised at how poor i am. Even after reading info from zonalmarking.com i was totally sure on what to do. Why does this game have to be so difficult, never had so a problem before. I will post screenshots.

have you checked the tactics and training forums on here?

read some of the threads by sfraser and wwfan etc... they will give you a brilliant insight into tactic making and you'll be creating exciting formations and tactics in no time..

alternatively.. download a successful tactic from there and use it .. and adjust bits here and there when you feel happy to, and you can learn that way

simple

I dont want to sound arrogant, but i like anyone want to learn what tactics to use on my own merit, i believe using someone elses doesnt make it fun. Sorry im just giving my opinion. I have check the tactics forum, some i have tried but have inconsistent results.

i didnt say use them .. i said use them to see how they work.... theres nothing like good ol' reverse engineering friend...

for example.. seeing that they use direct passing instead of short passing while using counter attacking etc... you can see little things like that much easier when its on your screen in front of you and you can see results.

thats the only advice anyone can give you... and if you keep throwing the advice back at them.. then its lost on you...and i suggest leaving the game for a while until you feel like coming back and learning the game from scratch..

Well for example the passing is kept on default as well as on other tactics. I havent played the game for over a week now and why would i need to start from scratch if i have been playing since 07, it just seems wrong. Im no newbie i do know stuff about football, maybe not alot when playing the game but i try my best to understand it.

So, you want to learn to use tactics on your own merit, asking for help on how to do so, but you being unwilling to read advice on how to play. Somewhat contradictory don't you think?

Go to the tactics forum, look at the stickied threads. Read TT&F for the technical overview and Cleon, SFraser and heathxxx's threads for longer term strategy. Or don't. However, if you don't, then please stop opening threads asking for help.

wwfan, i have and am reading threads in the tactics forum. Why is everyone against me. How many times do i have to say i know how to play, why are people being harsh on me. So are you telling me u need to have alot of knowledge on football, if so i have basic knowledge and that has been enought for me until FM12. Im sorry if im being passionate but i love the fm series and i take offence that people are saying i need to start again. Im just thinking was i ever good at this game.

You do not need a knowledge of the footballing world to be hugely successful at FM12. It does help if you understand football tactics, or at least are willing to learn by watching, but a good player could just as easily beat the game if all the players and teams were completely randomized.

doesnt matter that you've played since 1462 bc ... if you are failing now with tactics... start from scratch.. read the godamn threads and if you still cant understand it you have 3 choices left...

1. download tactics that have been successful with other people.

2. carry on losing and still play

3. stop playing..

but please.. oh lord.. stop throwing every bit of advice people have given you out the window...

/thread

wwfan i have always had success on other fm games on what i knew, so reading real life tactics makes me seem crap now as i have never read about it before but i know some stuff about real life footy but not alot. The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.

Let's try to take your problem step by step.

FM has evolved. That you won matches in less sophisticated versions doesn't make the time you spent on them pointless. As long as you had fun, then all's good. However, as the game, including the AI's use of tactics, gets more sophisticated, you will need to know a little bit more about real life football theories. More so if you don't want to download any super-tactics.

If you take that on board, you will be able to move forward. You say you have read tactics threads. Which ones?

wwfan your right mate, its has evolved. I did love those games, had success, enjoyed it. Notr witrh this one though atm. It just bugs me the amount of electricity i had used playing tjose games bit still loved them but i cant feel like that with this one. Thats why i feel i have wasted the time on those even though i know i was good on those versions. Anyone i had read through on the sticky threads and also this one:7

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279009-FM2012-Training-And-Match-Prep-Masterclass

Archived