Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Depressed with the game

Amateur

Default Depressed with the game

Im so sad and depressed that unlike previous games where i just guessed and used basic tactics to win everything i cant do that with the new one, im not enjoying it and reading what other people are saying it makes me seems crap at the game. Even though i was gd i think at the others. I have wasted time and electricity on the FM series, but it still one of favourite games. The irony.

Amateur

Im getting more alienated with this game, doesnt seems like anyone wants to give me any advice.

Third Team

the issues i have are i can play dangerous formations like 4-2-2-2 (well 4-4-2 with wingers) at home against the likes of man utd and arsenal and beat them. yet try it away against lower table teams you get outplayed.
    players seem to magically lose ability when they travel? then find it again when they get back?
    the fun i have is seeing who i can acctually sign for my club in the early days

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by omaroo View Post
    Im getting more alienated with this game, doesnt seems like anyone wants to give me any advice.
    What advice have you asked for?
    Have you looked at the stickies in the tactics forum?
    Try reading through some of the links in the thread below if you want to learn. No-one likes hearing someone whine.

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...BEFORE-POSTING

Amateur

Im not whining im hust saying how im feeling. I keep bloody losing home and away, The same team i could win the league with in this game, i had won the league 10 times in the last game and that was just doing basic things. ARGGGGG. Why is people here so unhelpful. I have read that part if the forum but doesnt help.

Semi-Pro

Im not whining im hust saying how im feeling. I keep bloody losing home and away, The same team i could win the league with in this game, i had won the league 10 times in the last game and that was just doing basic things. ARGGGGG. Why is people here so unhelpful. I have read that part if the forum but doesnt help.
    Unhelpful? We have been nothing but helpful to you but you seem to ignore all our suggestions! That section is where all the knowledge resides, go there and read up on the game properly!

It takes time yes but its worth the effort if you want to do well that bad.

I think you need to take a long hard look at how you play the game and why, SI don't set out to make a pushover game... what would be the fun in that? If you want to win that bad go into the editor and fill your favorite teams squad with super players with max stats.

People do think you are whining when you complain about things like your threads not showing up, helping you with suggestions and making an effort to make it easier for you for you to just ignore everything they say and keep on stating the same things over and over.

Amateur

Im not stating any over and over again, i am taking what people are saying but it doesnt bloody help. I aint no cheater that i would use the editor. I just want to be as great and successful as i used to be, im doing same things as i was b4 in this one but no no avail. sSorry if im whining but i really want to consistent results. Its comments like these which seem to be full of attitude. I thought there would be more nice people here.

Amateur

As a newbie in FM I can tell you that I have won my first 5 games in Brazil's Pernambuco State Championship as Sport Recife w/default tactic 4-2-2-2, Standard/Attack strategy w/the occasional instruction as needed. Hang in there. One can get into this game and get lost in the data and much to do.

Amateur

So what are you doing that is so different, as I kind of figure, if I had won the league 10 times in previous versions, I would do ok if not very well in this version
    Last edited by telV7; 05-02-2012 at 04:14.

Amateur

Forget about tactics, forget about advices, forget all about everything you know about football. I'm running 4th season in my save game, got one Champions League in my pocket and 2 domestic league titles and 3 domestic cups. My formula goes beyond all known understanding, in the games my team is favourite I play counter attacking football, in the games my team is up against all odds I play suicidal attacking football. SI have done everything possible to destroy any possible exploit in favour of Human Managers and created a lot of others in favour of AI teams. End result? A total blooper of a game when you (human manager) can win all available to you doing everything against common sense. Go figure.

Amateur

I really don't understand how you can say this omaroo, yes there are a lot of arrogant, know-it-alls who talk to people as though they are idiots, just for asking a simple question but there are an awful lot of guys in here who go to no ends to help people out. you must just be asking the wrong questions or the wrong people mate.

Amateur

after new patch it's all about reputation and morale. also get fast players, they pretty much rule in this game, no matter how bad their technical or mental stats are if they are faster they will get ahead of the opposition therefore getting more clean cut chances and eventually score more. i started a game with a low reputation team and hired a striker with 15 pace and stamina and 11 finishing, he ended up the season with 20 goals due to his speed and believe he still missed a lot...

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by mitzra3l View Post
    Forget about tactics, forget about advices, forget all about everything you know about football. I'm running 4th season in my save game, got one Champions League in my pocket and 2 domestic league titles and 3 domestic cups. My formula goes beyond all known understanding, in the games my team is favourite I play counter attacking football, in the games my team is up against all odds I play suicidal attacking football. SI have done everything possible to destroy any possible exploit in favour of Human Managers and created a lot of others in favour of AI teams. End result? A total blooper of a game when you (human manager) can win all available to you doing everything against common sense. Go figure.
    Yeah this works better than you'd expect but doesn't completely defy logic. I think part of it is that sometimes against bigger teams they try to push up meaning if you attack them you can find large holes and also the fact your generally pressing higher up the pitch allowing them less time on the ball stops some of there more creative players dictating things. On the flip side against lower sides playing a counter strategy often draws them out allowing you more space if you are patient whereas if you go attacking they never get out of there half and always have 9/10 players behind the ball and you end shooting from range or hitting hopeful crosses into an overcrowded penalty area.

All that being said I wouldn't necessarily use it as a rule and generally start on standard and change as the match progresses.

Semi Pro

This works because defending in the game is horrible. In reality if you go gung ho against a good team, 9 times out of 10 their superior defenders will deal with your threat and their superior attackers just pick you apart. In FM every mediocre player with a bit of pace can run rings around the best defenders in the game.

Amateur

FM12 has been a stepbackward. FM11 seemed to work far better yet they say they did not change the ME for this version. This means they messed up the things around it. Get back to basics SI. Fix the game and then add the bells and whistles.

Amateur

FM12 is the best one so far for me.Players do exactly as i want them to do,tactics are working properly...can't complain at all.Omaroo do you have a vision how you want to use you players when building the squad?
    Try this...but it will take some time rebuilding ...
    4 defenders in line,zonal marking,offside trap.DCs must be 17+heading.FBs with high tackling and 12+ accelaration and crossing.
    DM all rounder
    ML/MR operating more like box-to-box midfielders-high accelaration,dribbling,pace,crossing
    2 AMC-one support ,one attack-high mental abilities,long shots,accelaration,creativity.
    Striker-17+ Accelaration,good finishing,long shots,heading,creativity

The team should control the game with short or direct passes going through the DM(hidden plamaker/free man when the team has the ball).Counter attack on and also try through balls from time to time.Tempo slightly above normal(but still staying in the normal range).

The tactics seem completely useless now. My most defensive tactic that worked in 2011 almost always concedes me a goal within 10 minutes. I've tweaked every player on the pitch but they're all useless even when I have 2 defensive mids.

It's probably just the same old issue of them sticking 4 guys as strikers like in all previous FM's. It just makes tactics useless.

Amateur

The tactical side of this game is just not good enough! If you look at some of the tactics in the download section, which are successful, are all weird that you would never use in real life. The defending is horrific, in fact, it really isn't football. I love management games and have always loved FM, and, I do love this version too but I am still disappointed with it.

Amateur
    Conspiracy theoretician and a bad guesser, autor of abstract and woolly critiques

Quote Originally Posted by Äktsjon Männ View Post
    This works because defending in the game is horrible. In reality if you go gung ho against a good team, 9 times out of 10 their superior defenders will deal with your threat and their superior attackers just pick you apart. In FM every mediocre player with a bit of pace can run rings around the best defenders in the game.
    It's almost impossible to lose with pacy front line. Fast, but otherwise poor, striker or winger will steam past best defenders time and again.

Amateur

Yes marty78, not a rule, but it works 8 out of 10 times. I'm managing FC Porto, and reality is, in Portugal there are only 3 natural candidates for league title, which are FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting. Once in a while, Braga steps up for the fight, meaning you have at least 24 matches against minnows, and in FM12 I found myself loosing points against them, dominating the matches (65% ball posession and 30 shots against 2 or 3 and sometimes 0) and I was going out of my mind with goalless draws or 0-1 defeats, now I play counter against minnows and with 35% or 40% ball posession and 5 or 6 shots I thrash them every single time.

avine

I dont get why it was decided by SI to reduce the patch releases. Let's be honest, it is impossible to fix everything with one patch remaining

Amateur

I really do appreciate all the comments and help from u guys. Like i have said before and even now. I love the fm series, without a doubt one of my all time fav games, but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding. Im no football expert and some of the tactics some of u have mentioned i have rarely ever used, but i do want to now and get the success back and know more than the basics. BTW i have the patch 11.0.4 i think and not the latest one, does that make a difference.

Amateur

. . . but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding.
    Can you post a screen shot of your formation /tactic and another of your squad..... I am curious to see what it is you are doing

Amateur

Ye no problem, i have to do that in another thread of mine, will try to get it done 2moro now.

avine

I really do appreciate all the comments and help from u guys. Like i have said before and even now. I love the fm series, without a doubt one of my all time fav games, but after having so much success in previous versions, i just cant do that with this game for some reason, and it hurts that i cant and makes me feel like i have wasted time and electricity over the years, and im not kidding. Im no football expert and some of the tactics some of u have mentioned i have rarely ever used, but i do want to now and get the success back and know more than the basics. BTW i have the patch 11.0.4 i think and not the latest one, does that make a difference.
    Go to FM->Game Status. What does it say next to Version?

Semi Pro

I've played with all sorts of formations and mentalities just in this version. I always find success, but each time I try to apply my tactics from the last team I have ended up having to make new ones from scratch.

Which tactic works really, really, really does depend which team you are and who you are playing. The AI is still a little too weak against wildly attacking tactics, though I personally lean towards very cautious tactics and still come up trumps. Keep at it, experiment a bit. Try learning a little extra about the RL game and then apply it in FM. You'd be surprised at how often that works.

Amateur

^ Whats RL game btw.

Amateur

RL = real life...

Meaning take some time to read articles on Zonalmarking.net and other various websiteS. It helps a lot to take a bit of time and look at different tactical theories and then try to implement them into FM. I've been doing this recently and it has greatly enhanced my FM experience. The best part about this being a game is that if something doesn't work or you get frustrated, you can always take a break or start a new save with some fresh, new ideas.

Amateur

But i have always played the fm series as it is, its really strange people suggesting reading up on real life tactics, i doubt people do that with all games.

Tactics and Match Engine Moderator

But i have always played the fm series as it is, its really strange people suggesting reading up on real life tactics, i doubt people do that with all games.
    I read up on fencing techniques for World of Warcraft.

In all seriousness though, if a game is supposed to simulate real life professional football, don't you think it would be useful to have a modicum of knowledge about real life tactics? Or should guesswork be enough?

Amateur

Smaller teams tend to play ultra defensively against big ones. They park the bus, try to congest space and to do that they play narrow and deep. If you try to dominate them with pressing and high defensive line, the whole match is played on their side of pitch and that makes it even harder to find space. If the opposition is well organized you will never score. A common approach to combat this is to drop deeper. That will spread both teams over the entire pitch and create lots of space. That's why counter attack may work so well against smaller sides. Of course the opposition might not fall for this, but that's football. In such cases I'd try to make a better use of set pieces.

Amateur

wwfan i have always had success on other fm games on what i knew, so reading real life tactics makes me seem crap now as i have never read about it before but i know some stuff about real life footy but not alot. The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.

Amateur

I think part of the issue is the game simply runs more like a real game. Gone are the hideous exploits like the corner and morale bug, gone are the 'fast wingers win everything' tactics, gone is the 'pace is king' of old FMs. In older versions strong playes werent really worthwhile except it defense and maybe one bullish forward. Now though I play teams which work really well sitting back and being really solid just robbing the ball alot, pace and dribbling are much closer to reality now. In FM11 as much as I enjoyed it, all you needed was two super fast wingers and full backs and you destroyed everyone.

Basically you have to sort of unlearn all the bad habits of old FMs, which is why you see people posting stuff like 'my tactic which won me 20 CLs in FM11 is crap now'. The tactics now seem to be less about exploiting flaws in the ME and more about being sensible. In FM11 you could happily play with 2 DMs and only have wingers and forwards up front and be effective. Now you end up just losing possession alot, you need to consider your players positioning more in this version. Often when you cant break down smaller teams its cause your pushed up way to high and everyone is almost permanently offside, link players are much more important in this version.

Thats not to say its perfect, it can be really frustrating, especially coming from FM11 as it plays so differently but Im starting to prefer it, the goals I score are more varied and games seem more fluid and dynamic.

Amateur

The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.
    Ok, this seemingly descending into some weird form of trolling, and if I am wrong, and you are being genuine, then I will gladly apologise.

The thing that strikes me, is that in various threads you have created regarding your tactics not working, and how disenchanted you are at no longer being a demi god in others, many people have offered encouragement and suggestions to try and aid you, further some of those people are whom many would consider to be very knowledgeable regarding the game.

What is annoying is that with all the advice offered you are still appear not to be proactive, rather, just continually harp over and over the same thing. Yes, I am having a dig, not a massive one though. Bottom line is you need to man up a little, start looking at some of the advice and suggestions and take a more proactive approach.

Use your tactical help thread and start posting screen shots and explain your formation and your roles and the things you are doing in a match, and stop wanting someone to hand you the answer on a platter.

In the end it is going to be up to you.

Amateur

I really am not trolling, i am trying to follow advice, but seems there is new advice all time such as reading a guide. Now trust me i really respect the guys who are the best at this game but im just suprised at how poor i am. Even after reading info from zonalmarking.com i was totally sure on what to do. Why does this game have to be so difficult, never had so a problem before. I will post screenshots.

Amateur

Happy to take your word for it, as such I do apologise to you for suggesting it.

Look forward to seeing the screenshots.

Reserves

have you checked the tactics and training forums on here?

read some of the threads by sfraser and wwfan etc... they will give you a brilliant insight into tactic making and you'll be creating exciting formations and tactics in no time..

alternatively.. download a successful tactic from there and use it .. and adjust bits here and there when you feel happy to, and you can learn that way

simple

Amateur

I dont want to sound arrogant, but i like anyone want to learn what tactics to use on my own merit, i believe using someone elses doesnt make it fun. Sorry im just giving my opinion. I have check the tactics forum, some i have tried but have inconsistent results.

Reserves

i didnt say use them .. i said use them to see how they work.... theres nothing like good ol' reverse engineering friend...

for example.. seeing that they use direct passing instead of short passing while using counter attacking etc... you can see little things like that much easier when its on your screen in front of you and you can see results.

thats the only advice anyone can give you... and if you keep throwing the advice back at them.. then its lost on you...and i suggest leaving the game for a while until you feel like coming back and learning the game from scratch..

Amateur

Well for example the passing is kept on default as well as on other tactics. I havent played the game for over a week now and why would i need to start from scratch if i have been playing since 07, it just seems wrong. Im no newbie i do know stuff about football, maybe not alot when playing the game but i try my best to understand it.

So, you want to learn to use tactics on your own merit, asking for help on how to do so, but you being unwilling to read advice on how to play. Somewhat contradictory don't you think?

Go to the tactics forum, look at the stickied threads. Read TT&F for the technical overview and Cleon, SFraser and heathxxx's threads for longer term strategy. Or don't. However, if you don't, then please stop opening threads asking for help.
    Last edited by wwfan; 09-02-2012 at 05:54.

Amateur

wwfan, i have and am reading threads in the tactics forum. Why is everyone against me. How many times do i have to say i know how to play, why are people being harsh on me. So are you telling me u need to have alot of knowledge on football, if so i have basic knowledge and that has been enought for me until FM12. Im sorry if im being passionate but i love the fm series and i take offence that people are saying i need to start again. Im just thinking was i ever good at this game.

Amateur

You do not need a knowledge of the footballing world to be hugely successful at FM12. It does help if you understand football tactics, or at least are willing to learn by watching, but a good player could just as easily beat the game if all the players and teams were completely randomized.

Banned

I've had a successful tactic that's worked since FM10. Once you find a decent tactic the game is much more enjoyable. Just have a fiddle around for a while.

Amateur

Your right about understanding tactics. Even watching footy i cant take it in, whereas just reading tactics on here doesnt properly help me/

Reserves

doesnt matter that you've played since 1462 bc ... if you are failing now with tactics... start from scratch.. read the godamn threads and if you still cant understand it you have 3 choices left...

1. download tactics that have been successful with other people.
    2. carry on losing and still play
    3. stop playing..

but please.. oh lord.. stop throwing every bit of advice people have given you out the window...

/thread

Amateur

haha... breathe, breathe, ;)

Amateur

Well im not playing it atm but i really want to play it. Also im not throwing any advice out the window, i have tried tactics and has worked for me. Simple.

wwfan i have always had success on other fm games on what i knew, so reading real life tactics makes me seem crap now as i have never read about it before but i know some stuff about real life footy but not alot. The more i post the more i get depressed. Just seems all the time i played FM was pointless but now even more that people are saying read up about footy tactics.
    Let's try to take your problem step by step.

FM has evolved. That you won matches in less sophisticated versions doesn't make the time you spent on them pointless. As long as you had fun, then all's good. However, as the game, including the AI's use of tactics, gets more sophisticated, you will need to know a little bit more about real life football theories. More so if you don't want to download any super-tactics.

If you take that on board, you will be able to move forward. You say you have read tactics threads. Which ones?

Amateur

wwfan your right mate, its has evolved. I did love those games, had success, enjoyed it. Notr witrh this one though atm. It just bugs me the amount of electricity i had used playing tjose games bit still loved them but i cant feel like that with this one. Thats why i feel i have wasted the time on those even though i know i was good on those versions. Anyone i had read through on the sticky threads and also this one:7

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...ep-Masterclass

Youth Team

You could upload your savegame and have people take a look, btw. So far you haven't revealed any relevant information for people to help you.

Semi Pro

No one ever said football management was easy, if it was as easy in real life as it is in FM then Liverpool would have won the last 10 EPL titles.

Amateur

Your right guys, just need the right tactics in this game, i will post the relevant screenshots when i can. Also how can i actually upload my save game. Kinda feel weird about it.

Youth Team

You need to upload it to a filasharing service like Gamefront, then link to it in here.

Amateur

but how exactly do i do that, is there info for that.

Amateur

Well i started a game with celtic, boy its hard, and after reading various tactics i tried them and still am losing games. Plus my finances are so little. Also regarding the screenshots for me tactics, its playing up, i am trying to get my laptop fixed and when i do i will upload them. But just show even though im trying everything in this game its no way near as easy or even fun compared to other versions like fm11.

Third Team

my team isn't world class, but wins plenty.
    i have used 4 or 5 differant formations AND assman in games.
    it isn't easy, but landing the correct players for your team are key IMO. i go v fluid attacking 4-2-2-2 at home, can outplay even barcalona

Amateur

this has to be one of the weirdest threads i have ever read on this forum!

i if you want a game to play that you can leave it on default and win everything without trying then dont bother with this game.

my advice, look at the teams in real life you enjoy watching. think of the style and go from there. stick with the tactic for a good for months (game time not real life months) and tweek them to see if you can improve them if needed. it really is a case of trial and error and the game is not supposed to be easy!

I have fallen for a 4-1-1-3-1 formation and tinker with it depending on the team i am playing.

Amateur

Richpl, i do do similiar style to real life teams. I usually play attack fluid football at home or counter balanced football away, and use different formations depending on the situation. But still not winning enough. I really deserve a break on THIS game.

Amateur

Well im not depressed with the game anymore, im loving it played over 6 hours yesterday lol. Im with Celtic atm with all Scottish competitions and for the first time on FM12 i won a league title. YES. For someone who had played the versions before with classic tactics and didnt really bother with player instruction and on top of that was winning everything i feel im more tactically sound in FM12 compared to the other, i have always known i was good at the game but i was depressed for a while with FM12 that i was thinking to myself how on earth was i so successful on the other games with just basic tactics and really not advanced tactics, but using my common sense and just thinking what to do in a real football match im really successful on FM12 at last. So ye enjoying the game at last. But im still annoyed like the other games im wasting electricity playing for too long lol.

Amateur

I have been thinking that all the success i had on the games from 07-11 were just due to basic tactics and not advanced football knowledge or applying any play instructions or any roles to players, but still had success. Im just wondering how was that possible as i cant apply the same forumla to FM12, but now im using more proper tactics in FM12. So how did i have so much ssucess on those other games and not so much on FM12. Its really bugging me, it would have been gd to have all those game saves from those games , im just asking as i want to know was i good and am i good still.

Third Team

If your playing on 12.2 you should be having success with Celtic lol especially with rangers in turmoil and not much other competition

Amateur

Nah i havent updated dont want to, enjoying the game as it is. I having won stuff with celtic, but i have been thinking of my success in previous games to the current one. How did i manage that with only basic tactics. It is just bugging me, i know i was very good at those games with only basic knowledge but its not working as much with FM12. I just feel i wasted time and everything else all these years.

Amateur

made the change myself from fm10 to fm12 and found it vastly different, go to the tactics thread, even the plug and play threads and usualy they explain why they have set up a formation the way they do. It has helped me to understand the vagueries of tactics, I have developed a couple of formations I am happy with and a coupple I have not worked out yet, but will.
    Hope that helped.

Amateur

Thanks mate, my tactics in FM12 have actually been good and have made more tactically minded and thought out compared to previous years, i dont like using tactics from here, i like to experiment myself like i always have. Its just that from not doing virtually that much for other FM games and winning everything, its hard on FM12 as i need loads more knowledge on tactics to win trophies, and it makes me wonder was i really good back in the day on the other FM games. That is what im thinking.

Amateur

I'm not suggesting I am an expert, but being from the UK, I have watched and played football for over 30 years, so I try to translate real strategies into the FM gaming world.

I was still playing FM2011 and tried a new tactic. I have only downloaded FM2012 recently and incorporated the same tactic and so far so good, but for a couple of outstanding bugs which we cannot control.

I set the default COUNTER ATT, but I uncheck the COUNTER ATT box (I want my players to sit deep but control possession and by sitting deep I try to create more clear cut one-on-one chances). I move the slider up to the first HIGH TEMPO notch, and move TIME WASTING down to RARELY. I use SHORT PASSING, high CREATIVE FREEDOM and DRILL CROSSES (I tend not to use a TARGET MAN).

I player 4 at the back - FULLBACKS set to AUTO but instructed to CROSS BALLS often and HUG TOUCHLINE. MY 2 CBs are instructed to COVER, but I move the CLOSING DOWN one notch higher and set DEFENDING/CREATIVE FREEDOM to 0.

2 DEF MIDS - the LEFT MID plays set to ANCHOR MAN - the RIGHT set to DEEP PLAYMAKER and I move the mentality up to the first ATTACKING notched.

1 CEN MID set as an ADV PLAYMAKER and move the mentality up to the first ATTACKING notched. He requires his PASSING/CREATIVITY/DECISIONS at leasts 13.

2 ATT WINGERS set to INSIDE FORWARDS (and instructed to CROSS BALLS often) with a mentality of ATTACKING 3 notches from the right. I look for high SPEED levels of at least 14, high CREATIVITY/DRIBBLING/CROSSING levels (at least 13)

1 STRIKER set to POACHER with ATTACKING set 2 notches from the right and requires SPEED levels of at least 14, and FINISHING, COMPOSURE, OFF THE BALL and TECHNIQUE at least 13.

You can play around with other individual tactics/instructions as your team develops.
    Last edited by bullybeef; 15-03-2012 at 09:35.

Amateur

Like those instruction i have never really done and done great, but has been bugging me alot, even in FM12 im trying to do these instructions with players, but i cant do it as good as others as im not sure of it. This is coming from a guys who has watched footy since i was a kid.

Amateur

The more threads i read it makes me think im not as great as i had though for years. I havent even touched FM for days now and dont know why anymore.

Amateur

Im not accusing anyone but reading these threads, people being great with tactics, great with crap teams, it just puts me off the game. The more i read the more confused i get. It makes me wonder was i any good the first time i play a FM games, as imm doubting myself and have lost hope in myself now, i cant enjoy the game. I feel depressed and i know it sounds stpud but im just hating myself for playing all these years wasting electricity on a game which i havent potentially advanced in terms of tactics, and am still not at that level in FM12.

Im not accusing anyone but reading these threads, people being great with tactics, great with crap teams, it just puts me off the game. The more i read the more confused i get. It makes me wonder was i any good the first time i play a FM games, as imm doubting myself and have lost hope in myself now, i cant enjoy the game. I feel depressed and i know it sounds stpud but im just hating myself for playing all these years wasting electricity on a game which i havent potentially advanced in terms of tactics, and am still not at that level in FM12.
    Why? You did well in relation to how the game was then. It is now different and requires slightly more thought. That doesn't make any of your previous games or your achievements worthless. It will, however, make any success you have in FM12 taste twice as sweet.

Amateur

Ye i did but i has success with very basic tactics and still won everything back then. You probably are right the more i play FM12 the more im gona love the game like the others. I never kept those game saves as i always used to play the next new one and get rid of the previous one, i have the FM11 game saves. Have you and others got game saves for years.

Third Team

i'm using basic tactics, changed hardly anything and beating everything on one formation alone.
    there is something frustrating me.
    league cup 3rd round - away
    4th round - away
    qtr final - away

FA cup
    3rd round - away
    4th round - away
    is this a joke

Part-Timer

I think it is very possible to have success with reasonably simple tactics as long as your willing to watch the matches and adjust accordingly. I have two tactics, a 4-4-2(flat) and a standard 4-5-1 and do not set individual sliders for ANY setting on any player. The only changes I make are the occasional mentality change and shouts which I use every match. I am of the opinion that, unless you really understand the game very well, the simpler the better.

I'd definately ignore people saying "first click on attack" or "last click of narrow". This may work for their players but doesn't mean it would for yours. I would also rather lose and get sacked than use a plug and play tactic.

Chin up mate it is just a game after all. If you need help understanding why your tactics are failing then get some screenshots up and people can offer more constructive advice.

EDIT: I also change player roles quite regularly too.

Amateur

Thanks marty. Thats the ting i dont use shouts as that is kinda confusing, i dnt want to download tactics as i want yo learn my own tactics.

I just go by what my coach says is the best role of that player and stick with that, mind you seeing that attributes can be good on other roles as well, but i just stick the role which the coach says is the best.

I dont know man love this series, one of my all time favorite games, but i wish i knew why i was so good on those other games with basic tactics and not so great on FM12 even after using advanced tactics.
    Last edited by omaroo; 20-03-2012 at 19:34.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by scott MUFC View Post
    i'm using basic tactics, changed hardly anything and beating everything on one formation alone.
    there is something frustrating me.
    league cup 3rd round - away
    4th round - away
    qtr final - away

FA cup
    3rd round - away
    4th round - away
    is this a joke
    lol the game is fixed.

Amateur

Whenever i think im doing good people put me off and get me so down with this game, im lucky i wasnt here as much when i had success on other versions with basically basic tactics and not too much knowledge, which im still annoyed about. For one im not sure what people are taking about getting good players by filtering their attributes, what on earth, i have never done that. Then im not sure if i should be buying in all positions, amongst other little things. Everytime i think i have been good at the FM series, people just make me think i suck. Thats furthers makes me regret playing this series and wasting my time.

Youth Team

Whenever i think im doing good people put me off and get me so down with this game, im lucky i wasnt here as much when i had success on other versions with basically basic tactics and not too much knowledge, which im still annoyed about. For one im not sure what people are taking about getting good players by filtering their attributes, what on earth, i have never done that. Then im not sure if i should be buying in all positions, amongst other little things. Everytime i think i have been good at the FM series, people just make me think i suck. Thats furthers makes me regret playing this series and wasting my time.
    The only thing that matters is that you're having fun. What other people do is really nothing to worry about, since you play the game your way. What everyone else tells you (including me) is what they (and I) like to do and think of the game. A complex game such as this can be approached in many different ways.

It is also very irrelevant what you did in other games. What matters is what you do now. Besides, computer gaming is always a waste of time so you haven't wasted any more of it than other people who have played FM just as much as you did on previous versions. When that is said, you have repeated that "I was good before but now I suck" message a hundred times in this thread and elsewhere, and even though I know this is your thread and all it starts getting a bit tedious and depressing. Why don't you just man up and move on?

As for filtering by attributes - of course you have to filter the players by other things than Value and star rating! I have created custom filters for defending and attacking attributes that includes all the important attributes (to me) for the roles I am looking for. So for defenders I filter Acceleration, Pace, Strength, Jumping, Stamina, Anticipation, Concentration, Decisions, Determination, Positioning, Team Work, Work Rate, Marking and Tackling, For attackers I filter Acceleration, Pace, Balance, Anticipation, Composure, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Flair, Off the Ball, Team Work, Work Rate, Crossing, Dribbling, Finishing, First Touch, Passing and Technique. I then look at players who show up with many 16+ (darkish blue) numbers while not having many white numbers or single digits. In most cases, a quick glance at the player tells me that he will be unsuitable because I know my tactic in and out.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by marty78 View Post
    What advice have you asked for?
    Have you looked at the stickies in the tactics forum?
    Try reading through some of the links in the thread below if you want to learn. No-one likes hearing someone whine.

http://community.sigames.com/showthr...BEFORE-POSTING
    I know that the guys that write those guides work really hard but I think they just alienate frustrated people even more when they see the reams of text trying to explain the workings of the game.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Robioto View Post
    I know that the guys that write those guides work really hard but I think they just alienate frustrated people even more when they see the reams of text trying to explain the workings of the game.
    The problem is FM can be as complex a game as you want it to be. And for those people who really want to dig deep into it, there isn't a quick 5 minute lesson. But there any plenty of tactics and training schedules to download if you don't want the hassle of reading through it all.

As the saying goes, 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever'.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by mije1983 View Post
    The problem is FM can be as complex a game as you want it to be. And for those people who really want to dig deep into it, there isn't a quick 5 minute lesson. But there any plenty of tactics and training schedules to download if you don't want the hassle of reading through it all.

As the saying goes, 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever'.
    Exactly. There are many ways to play this game. If your confused by a lot of things then delegate to your assistant and then learn them one by one. The stickies in the tactics forum can seem daunting if you try to take them all in at once so just do a bit at a time. If they are things in these that you don't understand or find counter intuitive then feel free to post questions looking for explanations.

I personally have only really got into FM in the last few versions and have used these forums exclusively to learn how to play this game. I'm not at the same level as those that write those guides but feel confident enough in what i'm doing that I don't need an assman at all if I don't want one.

Omaroo:

As BiggusD said it doesn't matter if others are doing better than you as long as you have fun. It is a game after all.

Amateur

I`m depressed too....despressed at how many hours i spend on FM .

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusD View Post
    The only thing that matters is that you're having fun. What other people do is really nothing to worry about, since you play the game your way. What everyone else tells you (including me) is what they (and I) like to do and think of the game. A complex game such as this can be approached in many different ways.

It is also very irrelevant what you did in other games. What matters is what you do now. Besides, computer gaming is always a waste of time so you haven't wasted any more of it than other people who have played FM just as much as you did on previous versions. When that is said, you have repeated that "I was good before but now I suck" message a hundred times in this thread and elsewhere, and even though I know this is your thread and all it starts getting a bit tedious and depressing. Why don't you just man up and move on?

As for filtering by attributes - of course you have to filter the players by other things than Value and star rating! I have created custom filters for defending and attacking attributes that includes all the important attributes (to me) for the roles I am looking for. So for defenders I filter Acceleration, Pace, Strength, Jumping, Stamina, Anticipation, Concentration, Decisions, Determination, Positioning, Team Work, Work Rate, Marking and Tackling, For attackers I filter Acceleration, Pace, Balance, Anticipation, Composure, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Flair, Off the Ball, Team Work, Work Rate, Crossing, Dribbling, Finishing, First Touch, Passing and Technique. I then look at players who show up with many 16+ (darkish blue) numbers while not having many white numbers or single digits. In most cases, a quick glance at the player tells me that he will be unsuitable because I know my tactic in and out.
    I get what you mean, but i cant help it if i feel like im not as good on this game as before. Also your filtering and others when searching for players i dont get, as i have always just searched for players in different positions and didnt really use attributes, maybe i should have. So thats another thing i havent done and wasted time for years but not filtering attributes to buy players.

Plus i dont wont to download tactics ad for me that is cheating and have never done it, i have read through a few guides, not only is a really long but its annoys me even more. I do love this game, but maybe i have never known alot about it or dug that deep into like others. That really ANNOYS me.

Amateur

If you are depressed from a football management game u have serious issues my friend ;) ...

Amateur

^ THANKS for the support.

Amateur

haha its ok ...

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by lil ole me View Post
    I`m depressed too....despressed at how many hours i spend on FM .
    Sounds like you have a problem

Amateur

Keep laughing at me, you can be depressed with games if you feel like once you were good and now you are no good, and others playing showing off and putting you down.

Keep laughing at me, you can be depressed with games if you feel like once you were good and now you are no good, and others playing showing off and putting you down.
    Nobody seems to be showing off or putting you down. The central trend of the thread is that you should look back on your past with enjoyment and your future with anticipation. As your post #60 suggested, as your knowledge improves, your enjoyment will become deeper. It is totally irrelevant how you approached previous FMs. All that matters is getting better at this one.

Part-Timer

Get a grip, this isn't MLG Starcraft you're playing here where being worse than someone else is an actual problem. Just play the game your way and have fun doing so.

I can't imagine how someone like you would cope in real life with real problems, you must go from manically depressed to emo suicidal twelve times a day if something as small as FM is getting you down.

Amateur

omaroo, i'm not sure if you're trolling or not, either way, it's a game. If it's depressing you, don't play it! Play previous versions, play other games, it doesn't matter. No-one is going to look at your FM career and judge you one way or the other on it.

Third Team
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21 View Post
    Get a grip, this isn't MLG Starcraft you're playing here where being worse than someone else is an actual problem. Just play the game your way and have fun doing so.
    You can't force yourself to have fun...

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

I've never thought of FM as fun, it's too much like the real thing

Amateur

Your right wwfan, but the time and money i think i have wasted on the fm serious has gotten to me.

For the last i am NOT trolling Alex. I dont want to play other versions or other games OKAY. This is the latest one and i want to play. It does matter to me if im depressed.

Is that how you guys motivate other gamers by saying move on, dont play, go to other games. Thats my point i feel like the time and money i wasted all along is true when people say things like that.

I didnt want to say this but i have OCD and im obsessed with making and getting everything right and perfect.

Your right wwfan, but the time and money i think i have wasted on the fm serious has gotten to me.

For the last i am NOT trolling Alex. I dont want to play other versions or other games OKAY. This is the latest one and i want to play. It does matter to me if im depressed.

Is that how you guys motivate other gamers by saying move on, dont play, go to other games. Thats my point i feel like the time and money i wasted all along is true when people say things like that.

I didnt want to say this but i have OCD and im obsessed with making and getting everything right and perfect.
    Did you enjoy previous FMs?

Were you good at them?

If so, how is it time and money wasted?

The only issue is that some changes in the mechanics of the game in FM12 have made it tougher for you. This has nothing to do with your enjoyment of past games, only about how you need to adapt to play this one.

Amateur

Yes

Yes

Because of not getting the success in this game, plus with seeing how everyone else is amazing, and how back in others i didnt know that much and didnt use alot of tactics, thats why i think time i wasted and even money.

Yes

Yes

Because of not getting the success in this game, plus with seeing how everyone else is amazing, and how back in others i didnt know that much and didnt use alot of tactics, thats why i think time i wasted and even money.
    Everyone else is not amazing. As in all aspects of life, some are better than others.

As I keep telling you, the game logic changes version by version. Being able to manage tactically and motivationally becomes increasingly more tricky. Just because you aren't perfect at it now doesn't mean you weren't doing the right things in previous FMs. You were doing the right things for those versions of the game. All you need to do is learn how to do it in this version, which I thought you were beginning to grasp.

For example, the logic regarding how mentality works changed relatively significantly in FM07, then again in FM10. AI tactics became fundamentally better in FM10, and have slowly improved since then. The significance of morale and the effect of team talks have also changed considerably over the years, with, despite forum chatter, team talks becoming increasingly less significant.

You also have all the tweaks to AI player behaviour in relation to their emotional state, which are becoming more and more explicit. This has only really taken happened over the last 18 months. Explicit differences in condition and match fitness even more recently.

I could go on, but that should be enough to illustrate the point.

Third Team

these dumb refs are getting on my nearves
    scored a goal... play gets pulled back for a penalty. why bother -_-

just conceded a goal from a small passage of play, from a goal kick... when the keeper saved a shot and put it out.. this happens far too often - should be a corner.
    i wish FM was like the real thing, then the random defenders standing still, or being 2 yards offside from a free kick (wtf), or passing to the offside corner taker

Amateur

But it's a game. It doesn't matter, it has no bearing on anything. If I play a game and can't do well, I stop playing it. If I can't do well and still have fun, I still play it obviously, as it's just a fun thing.

Football Manager isn't anything like football management, the game will intentionally throw matches, it will screw up and it has bugs. You will lose games. Just keep playing until you do well, even edit the game and add managers while you get used to it so you have a ton of money to buy players and get used to what kind of player you need for how you play etc.

You can't be 'perfect' at a video game and getting obsessed about it is pointless. Over-ride your OCD and simply stop playing it if it bothers you so much. Honestly, sell the game to a friend, leave it for a while and play a previous game, anything.

Third Team
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.

Quote Originally Posted by wwfan View Post
    As I keep telling you, the game logic changes version by version. Being able to manage tactically and motivationally becomes increasingly more tricky. Just because you aren't perfect at it now doesn't mean you weren't doing the right things in previous FMs. You were doing the right things for those versions of the game. All you need to do is learn how to do it in this version, which I thought you were beginning to grasp.
    I think this is part of the problem.

Someone who is good at "football management" (i.e. can read tactics and how games are going, understands some form of psychology, etc.) should likely be very good at this game. The ideal game will present an interface that is so thin and invisible that their in-game actions correspond 1-1 with a real-life action that is anticipated. The "real-life" skill of the manager is then showcased by showing how good they are in the game. In other words, if we could rank real-life managers in ascending order, their corresponding skill in Football Manager should directly correspond to their ranking.

However, the OP feels that the thin and invisible interface is actually a fairly "thick and visible" one. The "game layer" is so thick it changes dramatically (in your words - "increasingly more tricky") after each iteration. This is a failure of the software, likely the interface. The OP perceives himself/herself to have been a fairly good user in Football Manager, and that skill should ideally correspond to a fairly good understanding of "football management". However, when the new version comes round, he cannot apply his skills in the same way to achieve similar results, which is confusing. The OP's skill should not have decreased dramatically, so it is the fault of the game.

The Microsoft Office Ribbon is an example. Studies have shown that experienced users of Office have struggled with the new Ribbon interface introduced in Office 2007 (even until today), while new users are perfectly fine with it. This is because the Ribbon, the software "layer", gets in the way of their ability to type documents. Their word-processing skills have clearly not become dramatically worse overnight - it is the software that is the issue.

A couple of things spring to mind when reading this thread:

- The OP is immediately unaware why he is wrong (he/she has needed to come to this forum and read through lengthy posts, including a tactical dissection by one of the most experienced users on this forum)
    - The OP, after being made aware why it is wrong, is unable to reconcile the fix to his/her thinking ("It worked before, why not now?")

One good tip for software design is to never break a user's previous understanding. The OP has suffered from this, and therefore is arguably a software usability flaw.

I don't think software should become "more tricky" over time. I think software should become more "deep", but this does not mean more "tricky". New features and improved features should add more depth, rather than obstacles. New features and improved features should improve the user's experience, not frustrate them (more). If a new feature does not do either of these properly, then that new feature should not be released - that's my view.

I've been of the view that nobody should ever need to visit this forum for help, especially not the tactics forum and its tomes that could be turned into dissertations one day. Visiting this forum should be for users who want to learn more, not about the game. A user should instead learn more about football "in general" and be able to immediately apply this thinking to the game, without having a game layer to translate and understand (i.e. this forum).

Long threads just make things worse for confused users - telling them to "read the stickies" is counter-productive and misses the point.

Im so sad and depressed that unlike previous games where i just guessed and used basic tactics to win everything i cant do that with the new one, im not enjoying it and reading what other people are saying it makes me seems crap at the game. Even though i was gd i think at the others. I have wasted time and electricity on the FM series, but it still one of favourite games. The irony.
    Pull your tampon out!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast