What age do youth players need the most first team games to improve?

Im a title chasing club with great prospects in pretty much every position, although they are all around 15-17, I have them on first team training schedules, and a few get a run out in the cups, but I'm not sure whether they are better served staying in training and reserve games until they are 18/19+, or starting games against weaker opposition, or giving them the last 5 mins in quite a few games, anyone have any ideas?

My youngsters always stay in the U18's until they are too old to play there anymore. The next step is to loan them out to a GOOD feeder club (Championship or top tier foreign). As Arsenal I had Watford, Charlton, and FC Lorient as my feeders. Put some thought into it and send the right players to the right club (don't send a striker to a club that already has 5) to make sure they'll play. Do this for 1-2 seasons and then they'll either be ready or they'll be a bust. It can backfire though. I sent four hot prospects to Charlton and they formed the spine of a team that won the Championship by 18 points. Then Charlton couldn't be my feeder club anymore as we were in the same division.

What Ackter said, just as long as they have a good personality and quality to play for your first team, they'll develop at any age.

I would suggest to get a couple of youngsters on the bench on home games against weaker opposition and sub them in at half-time and at the hour mark if you are winning comfortably.

I try to play youngsters for at least 15 games a season.

If I'm winning 3-0 I'll bring on some just for some match time.

If I'm playing a poor side, league cup or FA cup lower teams I'll play a few youngsters to get them out there.

Have a 16 year old right now that will be the best striker in the world when he's 21, I reckon. He'll be getting 15-20 games a season.

Archived