The Purity Of English Football Challenge

Trevor Brooking: The harsh fact is that many clubs feel our young teenage hopefuls are significantly behind the technical skills embedded in their European counterparts like France, Spain or Portugal.

"Although thankfully there are some notable exceptions, I have to agree with the overall judgement that we have some major catching up to rectify this problem. Only around 40% of first team players in the Premiership are English, as compared to around 65% of Spanish players in La Liga for example.

It seems that every April/May The Sky Sports team debate the amount of English players in the top English league, so I thought of a challenge that might interest a few people (added to the fact that my dafuge and Gundo challenges have gone stale!)

The Aim

To take a Premiership team to Premier and Champions League glory in the same season with a team full of British players only.

The Rules

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> The team you start with cannot have qualified for the Champions League in 2006/07 (AKA The Big Four!).

<LI> A Manager Profile screenshot must be posted on first day of management.

<LI> A screenshot of players, showing nationalities, at the start and end of season must be posted.

<LI>Player naming is allowed

<LI>Tactical discussion is allowed

<LI>Any leagues can be loaded (obviously EPL as minimum)

<LI>You cannot move clubs if you are sacked or offered another job. If you are sacked you can start again but have to post a new profile screenshot

<LI> Genie scout or any other external program is not allowed.

How to post a screenshot

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Hold alt + press f9

<LI>Go to a website like imageshack and upload!

People that cheat: I realise people can play non-British players and then take them out of the Squad, so if you like, cheat but the old saying is "Fortune favours the truthful people" remember that and cheating is boring and never gives you that sense of achievement the others will/might icon_wink.gif feel!

Any questions just ask and happy gaming!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

The Aim

To take a Premiership team to Premier and Champions League glory in the same season with a team full of British players only.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i realised that after i posted

So I start with my favourite team, The Toon.

This is my current squad:

Gk

Mark Cook youth

Fraser Forster youth

Shay Given legend

Steve Harper best number 2 in the land!

Defence

Carr for Gods sake

Ramage see above

Taylor GET IN

Midfield

Butt consistent as the Spanish weather

Barton do i need to say anything?

Milner absolute legend

Duff on paper is quality icon_biggrin.gif

Uptop

Smithster tries hard

Ameobi potential

Carroll see above

Owen best english striker still playing by a mile

I have told my board that I expect Continental Qualification so they gave me a bank account with £44,000,000.00 icon_biggrin.gif

My prediction: 7th

Carling Cup: QF

FA Cup: QF

Originally posted by ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

You can't be more wrong if you tryed.

Rooney easily the best in England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me just give my old mate Wiki a ring.

Wayne Roonaldo: 42 apps 14 goals. 1 in 3.

Michael Owen: 89 in 40. 1 in 2.2ish.

Wayne Rooney is only better for his club as look at the midfields.

Man Utd: Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Carrick, Park (?)

The Toon: N'Zogbia, Butt, Barton, Milner.

Is there any contest? At least they have the same midfield for England. icon_wink.gif Do i win? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

You can't be more wrong if you tryed.

Rooney easily the best in England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me just give my old mate Wiki a ring.

Wayne Roonaldo: 42 apps 14 goals. 1 in 3.

Michael Owen: 89 in 40. 1 in 2.2ish.

Wayne Rooney is only better for his club as look at the midfields.

Man Utd: Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Carrick, Park (?)

The Toon: N'Zogbia, Butt, Barton, Milner.

Is there any contest? At least they have the same midfield for England. icon_wink.gif Do i win? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said best striker in England not for England.

I win. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

I'm starting this now and I'm going..... Reading.

Great choice! Would be really hard but would make you "better" then me as I am (on paper!) a better team! Good luck.

One question. Is there a limit in which we need to complete the challenge? And I changed my mind and went Boro instead.

Awful choice

Also is it ok if the player is non-british but has British/Irish second nationality?

Non-British players cannot be used in any competitive match ever. I have used them in my first season friendlies as I didn't have enough British players to field!

Yes thats fine

Originally posted by Tomaldinho:

Manager Profile

So there we are for Day One. Will post up the first team squad before the first game of the season.

Villa, great choice, if I wasn't a Newcastle fan I'd be Villa or Everton! I was thinking about it mate and if everyone just posts a screenshot of transfers in AND out at the end of the season then that should be sufficient. You can post one before the season (12/13th August?)

Good luck icon14.gif When I get my tactics right I'll hopefully get going again!

Originally posted by Mark Snellink:

Ok, so just to clarify...

You may never use foreigners in competitive matches (except for 1 foreigner)?

and

You don't have a limit of how long it takes you to do it?

Yes, one foreigner, I had to do that to make it fair.

Nope could take you 20 seasons, obviously the quicker the better, take as long as you like. icon_smile.gif

What's the best way to sell off the foreigners? I've transfer listed them and now they are in the reserves but the only players with any bids have been some youngsters worth 85k icon_frown.gif

I move them all into the Reserves, Transfer List them, Make them unavailable for Loan and then Offer To Clubs.

Could be a long season. Not too much money to spend because I went for a UEFA Cup spot.

My first team could be screwed if we have many injuries. Just played my first game of the season and this team looks like it will be my starting line-up for the whole year until I can offload the few foreign players I have:

Carson

Taylor

Knight

Davies

Lescott

Barry

Reo Coker

Maloney

Young

Agbonlahor

Harewood

The fact Harewood is my best striker worries me a lot :p

Could be a long season. Not too much money to spend because I went for a UEFA Cup spot.

My first team could be screwed if we have many injuries. Just played my first game of the season and this team looks like it will be my starting line-up for the whole year until I can offload the few foreign players I have:

Carson

Taylor

Knight

Davies

Lescott

Barry

Reo Coker

Maloney

Young

Agbonlahor

Harewood

The fact Harewood is my best striker worries me a lot :p

I would rate the Agbon as better then the machine that is Marlon Harewood! Not a bad squad, only problem is the strength in depth, which is how I'm struggling a bit, I think if you just give the ball to Ashley Young then you'll be fine icon_biggrin.gif he is class! Good luck icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Snellink:

Manager Profile

Dennis Bergkamp icon_biggrin.gif "Uncapped" (I could've sworn he played for his National team!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly can't figure out how to set caps, but I did put his rep as international footballer.

Also, I've already abandoned the Everton thing. Noone wants to sell to Everton icon_frown.gif. I'm thinking I might find a club that is all British (or perhaps even all English) and take them up the league!

Well, to be fair you wanted a Championship team icon14.gif

Main priority is to keep Giles Barnes as he is a great young English player but if relegation beckons then it's going to be pretty hard to convince him to stay if a big club comes sniffing round.

Who have you managed to purchase so far?

Well, to be fair you wanted a Championship team icon14.gif

Main priority is to keep Giles Barnes as he is a great young English player but if relegation beckons then it's going to be pretty hard to convince him to stay if a big club comes sniffing round.

Who have you managed to purchase so far?

Very true, I think you are going to have to utilise him to full effect if you want to stay in the Division.

I was thinking about it and Tottenham have quite a good starting team:

Robbo (lol)

-

Dawson

King

-

Lennon

Jenas

Huddlestone

-

Keane

Bent (lol)

I dunno if they have any good players lb, rb or lm. They have potential though.

Originally posted by Mark Snellink:

They're a little bit ****, aren't they? icon_biggrin.gif

Slightly! Each to his own though. icon_wink.gif

I thought I'd make it more of a challenge for myself and I've started as Peterborough. They are in League 1 as my database is fully updated.

Here is my team:

GK Joe Lewis - U21 keeper, great potential

DR Michael Morrison - Bought from Cambridge for 100k, previously scouted by Chelsea

DL Tom Williams

DC Craig Morgan

DC Chris Westwood

MR Chris Whelpdale

ML Jamie Day icon_cool.gif

MC George Boyd

MC Charlie Lee

FC Aaron McLean

FC Scott Rendell

Will be slighter tougher for me to win the champions league than for you guys, may give me a longer, hopefully more enjoyable game though!

Originally posted by madlad:

I thought I'd make it more of a challenge for myself and I've started as Peterborough. They are in League 1 as my database is fully updated.

Here is my team:

GK Joe Lewis - U21 keeper, great potential

DR Michael Morrison - Bought from Cambridge for 100k, previously scouted by Chelsea

DL Tom Williams

DC Craig Morgan

DC Chris Westwood

MR Chris Whelpdale

ML Jamie Day icon_cool.gif

MC George Boyd

MC Charlie Lee

FC Aaron McLean

FC Scott Rendell

Will be slighter tougher for me to win the champions league than for you guys, may give me a longer, hopefully more enjoyable game though!

Welcome icon_smile.gif Fair enough, Joe Lewis and Scott Rendell are class (I think that's the right Scott Rendell anyway!) Good luck icon14.gif

Originally posted by bihdhdhdhbd:

Ok Irish welsh scots and english leagues runing will post my squad before first game of the season.

capture26052008164332fv5.th.jpg

Oh one thing i have the Defoe bug fixed.

Gone with the toon army

Great choice icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

Can I ask what you was listening to through your computer icon_biggrin.gif

Archived