From a nobody to an international?

Is it possible, in the game, to find players on the cheap (i'm talking under £500k) and they turn out to be superstars/internationals?

Similar to what we (Reading) did with Kevin Doyle and Shane Long - signed for around a combined £150k - both then sold for millions and both are Irish internationals.

So what are the chances of finding [a non re-gen] player in the lower leagues and them becoming top players before then selling them on for a tidy profit?!

Its rare that real international quality players come from lower leagues, but it does happen occasionally, perhaps more so on Fm2012? I dont know. I know in Fm2010 one of scotlands greatest ever international strikers on my game (World cup winner too) was a regen I bought from a team who were in the second or third devision of the scottish league system.

Depends how young you get to them, i signed an Irish regen centre back for £250k in the second season and sold him 6 years later for £26m. In FM11 i found a regen german playing second division football but playing very well, got him for £150k and he went onto to play for Germany after a few years sold him for £15m i think about 4 seasons later, it is possible, but you need a bit of luck to find them.

I've got my N.Forest Fm12 save where i got a Portuguese right/left winger for 22k from a lower league team; he's worth about 7.5m now and is a Portuguese International. I've seen the AI pick up a fair few of them too, it's just down to the scouting network finding them really. Anyone you can buy for <100k and has a potential 3* rating (assuming you have a 5* comparison) is a good purchase even if he doesn't make it for you.

In one of my FM11 saves, a keeper for England started out at Hastings United.

In my current save, managing at Galatasaray, I acquired a very good Turkish player from 2.Lig (3rd tier) club Korfez for US$850k and now, one of my best players, worth $13.5 million after 3.5 seasons at the club.

Read in one of the career threads that their scouts picked up a regen who had never signed for any club. They were in like league 2 or BSP and signed him. Sold him to Man Utd for around £100k but he's now worth £25 mill and an England international.

Archived