+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hey Mr Linesman!

Semi Pro

Default Hey Mr Linesman!

Graphical representation should always trump what the engine thinks has happened. And this, my friend, is a goal.

Amateur

I've seen that effect a couple of times and it's rather annoying but the graphics should never trump the ME, they should simply reflect what's happening more accurately. It's obviously a save in the ME so the animation needs to be revised.

Third Team

i had that earlier, keeper had ball after sliding out. should have had a corner
    although the ammount of corners and throws when the ball sits on the line is irritating as well

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by VonBlade View Post
    Graphical representation should always trump what the engine thinks has happened.
    How exactly would that work? The match engine can't "see" what is going on, so if it's calculations don't result in a goal it can't give a goal. I agree that the visual representation needs to match the visual presentation more, but I don't really see your example as any more than a cosmetic error. I get very annoyed with a few things in the match engine, but the above has happened to me a few times and I find it easy to pretend it's just the angle I'm looking from.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    How exactly would that work? The match engine can't "see" what is going on, so if it's calculations don't result in a goal it can't give a goal. I agree that the visual representation needs to match the visual presentation more, but I don't really see your example as any more than a cosmetic error. I get very annoyed with a few things in the match engine, but the above has happened to me a few times and I find it easy to pretend it's just the angle I'm looking from.
    When the coordinates of the ball are inside the goal, its a goal, it isn't so difficult...

Amateur

It isn't difficult if one is willing to expend programming effort to add unnecessary code that requires extra cpu processing to analyze flawed animations, thus compounding the error. As pointed out above, the ME does not see the graphics display. It has no way of knowing (nor should it care) that the animation is flawed and places the ball incorrectly inside the goal. The ME knows that the ball is outside of the goal so it does not award a score. The graphics flow from the ME, not the other way around. Again, the animation is inaccurate and should be corrected.
    Last edited by AytchMan; 16-01-2012 at 05:22.

Amateur

You should redirect your complain to Sepp Blatter instead.

Third Team

I posted about this very issue in the bugs forum, it wasn't just that the officials missed it but that there was no appeal.

Reserves

As has been said the graphics are just a representation of the ME calculations allowing you to see what has happened.

Its the animations that need to be corrected in this case.

+ Reply to Thread