All aboard the 'SS If This Save Fails I'm Going Back To FM07'

CityAndColour

After the sad demise of my previous two career saves, due to technical difficulties, this is my final attempt. If I suffer any issues with this, FM07 (my favourite version) is all set for an install, but hopefully this one can last the distance. I'll be running a rolling auto save and also backing up my save onto usb at the end of every season, so as to avoid any issues with hard drive failure and save game failure.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on Uncle Ron's update, but at the level below Conference North/South.

---

Swindon Supermarine FC

SwindonSupermarineFC.jpg

The club was established in 1992 as a merger between two local clubs, Supermarine F.C. and Swindon Athletic F.C., both of which were struggling financially, taking the latter club's place in the Hellenic League Premier Division. In 1997–98 the new club won the Hellenic League championship but were not promoted due to ground requirements. The championship was won for the second time in 2000–01 and this time they were accepted into the Southern League. After four years of struggle at the foot of the table, not helped by a rapid succession of managerial changes, they qualified for the play-offs in 2005–06 but lost to Hemel Hempstead Town in the semi-finals. In 2006–07 they again reached the promotion play-offs, where this time they were successful after beating Burnham in the semi-final and Taunton Town in the final. This earned them a place in the Southern League Premier Division.

ssinfo.jpg

ssfacs.jpg

Goals

As usual I'm not going to set any goals in terms of winning trophies or reaching certain leagues, as that will come as it does. But I do have several other aims for this save:

1) Create a rivalry with Swindon Town. We're not listed as rivals but I want to create one. This will include but not be limited to; bashing their manager in the press (after Di Canio retires as I like him), beating them on the pitch, getting to a higher division than them, and of course...

linkterm.jpg

2) I want to manage Australia at some point, with the aim of winning the Asian Cup and making the knock-out stages of the World Cup.

March 17, 2012

playo1.jpg

playo2.jpg

A touch eerie. They have all but secured promotion from L2 so it may take a little longer to overhaul them, however I am happy to see them do well early on as it will be much more fun to play against them in the higher leagues (if we ever get there).

2011/12 - Swindon Supermarine FC - Evo-Stik Southern Premier

SwindonSupermarineFC.jpg

League Table - Finances - Graph - Transfers

Season Review

Inheriting a squad of seven players, finding scouts was a priority and fortunately they both came with quite extensive reports, while my backroom staff constantly recommended new players all through the pre-season. The result was a strong squad with several stand-outs, and this reflected through our first 10 league fixtures, as we won nine and scored 31 goals, setting the tone for a season in which we averaged more than two goals a game.

We also made excellent progress in the FA Cup and the FA Trophy, which resulted in a lot of postponed fixtures but also a steady income stream. In the FA Cup we look League One side Hartlepool to a replay before shocking them 1-0 in front of their own fans, but fellow League One outfit Leyton Orient brought us down to earth with a 0-2 win in the second round proper. We also had a nice run in the Trophy, knocking out three BSN/S sides before Oxford City knocked us out in the third round, a result I put down to squad fatigue more than anything else.

We continued to look by far the best side in the league, as potential challengers seemed to alternate on a weekly basis, and at once stage we were top and had five games in hand on second place. However February was brutal with eight league fixtures and also an FA Trophy tie destroying the squad physically. We only won three of them to make it a much closer league than it probably should have, but recovered in March to more or less wrap things up. The fatigue situation probably could have been improved had I realised triallists can play in league fixtures at this level too.

There were a couple of half-decent prospects in the youth intake, however awful mental attributes means none are likely to make it.

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;hFwcTAk-Aj8]

Front men Poyser and Koroma combine beautifully, with the former's backheel allowing his strike partner to finish with aplomb via the underside of the crossbar.

Key Men

Omar Koroma - Far too good for this level and it showed. The Gambian international ran rings around the league, winning the league golden boot with 28 (36 in all comps), along with 11 MotM awards and an average rating of 7.53. He is tied up for next season however League One Oldham are sniffing around.

Kofi Poyser - Played the support striker role to perfection with countless assists, while many of his 25 goals came in games where Koroma was injured or on international duty.

Aaron Carter - The former Man City youth teamer was a rock at the back, and had the second highest average rating in the league. He came to me late on asking for a new contract, I advised one was forthcoming, and that same day he wasn't interested in renewing. Go figure.

Curtis Wynter - Formerly of Coventry, he was outstanding at right back, averaging nearly 6.5 successful tackles per game in the league. Despite this, my esteemed assistant advised we should get him to work on his tackling almost every team meeting.

Awards

Evo-Stik Southern Premier Manager of the Season

Evo-Stik Southern Premier Player of the Season - Omar Koroma

Evo-Stik Southern Premier top scorer - Omar Koroma

Next Season...

I think we will certainly be able to challenge for a mid-table finish, and we were undefeated against BSN/S teams in the cups which can only bode well. Whether or not we can hold onto Koroma may be the difference between a play-off push and not, as he should still be fairly dominant.

----------

2011/12 - Evo-Stik Southern Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2011/12

Charity Shield: Man City (Man Utd)

Premiership: Man Utd (Newcastle, Blackburn, Swansea)

Championship: West Ham; Bristol City, Blackpool (Brighton, Coventry, Crystal Palace)

League One: Carlisle; Sheff Wed, Preston (Hartlepool, Yeovil, Bury, Stevenage)

League Two: Swindon; Rotherham, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury (Cheltenham, Macclesfield)

Conference Premier: Luton; Newport County (Barrow, Forest Green, Ebbsfleet, Southport)

Conference North: Blyth Spartans; Harrogate (Workington, Gloucester, Worcester)

Conference South: Basingstoke; Boreham Wood (Thurrock, Staines, Dorchester)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Kingstonian; Lowestoft (East Thurrock, Met Police, Leatherhead, Hastings Utd)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Chester; Chorley (Ashton Utd, Stocksbridge, Marine, Rushall)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Swindon Supermarine; Frome (Bedford, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Banbury)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: Maldon & Tiptree; Chatham (Tilbury, Ilford)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Bognor Regis; Whitehawk (Croydon Ath, Whyteleafe)

Evo-Stik Division One North: AFC Fylde; Warrington (Ossett Albion, Trafford)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Sheffield; Belper Goole, Shepshed)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: St Neots; Fleet (North Greenford, AFC Hayes)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Tiverton; Halesowen (North Leigh)

---

FA Cup: Man Utd (Fulham)

League Cup: Arsenal (Man City)

Johnstone's Paint: Wycombe (Huddersfield)

FA Trophy: Wrexham (Cambridge)

---

Champions League: Barcelona (Marseille)

Europa League: Tottenham (Schalke)

Super Cup: Barcelona (Porto)

:(

On a serious note, it's probably quite rare to see that happen, unless Uncle Ron's update includes updates to club reputation etc.? St. Albans City are overrated on FM12 as one of the favourites for the league title, whereas in reality they were always going to be play-off outsiders/upper mid-table during this season which is a rebuilding season for the club. I suspect the reputation will come down in the January data patch.

Are you a Swindon Supermarine supporter IRL? We've got you next in the league at Clarence Park.

Good start to your save btw!

As for FM07, I have fond memories of that version. I came back to it after a small break from the series (I still played FM06 but it was a busy year and it didn't get much play time). Anyway, FM07 brought back the addiction and saw my first St. Albans City save! Happy memories! FM10, however, has since surpassed 07 as my favourite of the FM series.

Nah I'm actually a Melbourne Heart and Forest Green fan in real life, I just like SS's name and logo. I had a wonderful long save on FM11 with the Rovers in which we won the Prem three times, which also produced my favourite ever FM player in a French/Reunionese newgen called Jamal Lacoste. Hopefully this save can reach similar heights.

2012/13 Season Preview - Swindon Supermarine - Blue Square South

SwindonSupermarineFC.jpg

Transfers

Media Prediction: 21st

Ttitle Odds: 40/1

A fairly solid pre-season, in which we trialled a lot of players, won most of our friendlies and generally avoided injuries. Key players Aaron Carter and Sam Collins depart after refusing to renew their contracts, however I managed to sign an Australian scout which was brilliant, as he brought with him a scouting report packed with players toiling in the suburban and regional leagues around Oz. A few had European second nationalities, resulting in the double signing of Mattei and Piorkowski, both of which will slot straight into the starting XI.

Hardy was the other capture of note, and he looks like he can develop into a solid Conference defender at the very least.

sthchampmatch.jpg

No idea what this was, but it meant silverware and a perfect final hit-out before the real stuff starts.

Just a little update on the recruitment front. I sent my Aussie scout to Scotland, he comes back with nothing. I send him to Northern Ireland, he comes back with nothing. He says both times that he didn't see the point of the trips, despite suggesting them both.

Then he suggests sending him to Ireland. I cautiously allow this, safe in the knowledge his contract is up at the end of the season. He only comes back with two players....

Nicolai Risvig - Brendan Griffin

A couple of superb prospects, and both were willing to sign part-time deals through the next two and a half seasons. Signed from amateur side Fairview Rangers, holding midfielder Griffin will need to improve his physicals and positioning, however his tackling means he'll slot straight into the ball-winning role of my system. I'm not sure why Risvig came up in a search of Ireland, as his last club was Brøndby, so I am guessing he was on trial somewhere in the country and my scout's timing was lucky. He looks a fine prospect.

Nothing like a couple of hot prospects in the lower leagues.

2012/13 - Swindon Supermarine FC - Blue Square South

SwindonSupermarineFC.jpg

League Table - Finances - Graph - Transfers

Season Review

As has been pretty much my entire experience on FM12, this was a traffic light season. We went on runs of wins and winless runs, alternative between the two. If we won a game I knew it would turn into three or four, and as soon as we lost or drew I resigned myself to the fact it would probably be a few games before we won again. However, our winning streaks far outweighed the winless streaks in terms of volume, and we were comfortably in an around the play-offs for most of the campaign. We also exited both cups fairly early on to ease any fixture congestion in December and January, while an offer from Adelaide United was swiftly turned down despite it being my birth town club.

Ebbsfleet won the title fairly easily (though we were one of only two teams to hand them a home loss) and we took second spot in a very tight playoff race. Unfortunately this meant we were pitted against pre-season favourites Forest Green...

Within ten minutes of the first leg, we were a goal and a man down. Somehow we battled to a 2-3 loss, at least giving us a platform for the home leg. At half-time there it was 0-0, and we only needed a goal to force extra-time. Unfortunately I made the error of asking the squad to "give the fans something to cheer about!", and comprehended this error by doing it in a 'passionate' tone. By the hour mark we were 0-3 down to three John Cofie headers - predictably, he hadn't scored in his previous 15 hours - and despite scoring twice ourselves and being branded unlucky by the media, my awful record in playoffs continues.

They went onto beat Woking in the final to bounce back at the first attempt, so at least we lost to the eventual winners (and gave them a game).

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;jJBG7Iah4QI]

A fairly simple set up for Risvig's first goal for the club, but his finish was very sweetly struck.

Key Men

Omar Koroma - An even better campaign, as he dominated the division to win the golden boot by 12 goals. I also noticed that throughout the entire season the only response I ever got from a team or individual talk was "seemed to lose focus". His reputation is national and mine is regional, so he doesn't have any respect for me. Then again if he keeps scoring 30 a season I'm not going to be too worried.

Nicolai Risvig - A pretty handy debut season for the teenager, notching up a 'double double' of goals and assists, and generally looking a class above the division. Doubt I'll hold onto him for too long but getting a full season out of him will be exciting.

Daniel Piorkowski - Our most consistent defender all season and chipped in with a few goals. He also tutored Hardy for a period, but unfortunately his wage demands mean it's unlikely he'll be here for another campaign.

Brendan Griffin - I installed a custom newgen hair pack and he immediately assumed the Cristiano Ronaldo look, getting a couple of diamond studs and a trendy haircut. On the pitch he was excellent, combining the brawn of his tackling with the subtlety of his passing.

Special mention to Curtis Wynter, who was outstanding when he played, but injuries reduced him to only 19 league appearances.

Awards

Blue Square South Player of the Season - Omar Koroma

Blue Square South top scorer - Omar Koroma

Next Season...

We have the squad for promotion, especially with Koroma and Risvig up front. There always seems to be a dominant team at these levels, so hopefully that can be us. While we were comfortably the division's top scorers, we also conceded 55, which I'd want to get down to around the 40 mark.

----------

2011/12 - Evo-Stik Southern Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2012/12 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2012/13

Charity Shield: Man United (Liverpool)

Premiership: Man Utd (QPR, Bristol City, Blackpool)

Championship: Birmingham; Leeds, Newcastle (Carlisle, Doncaster, Nottm Forest)

League One: Charlton; Crystal Palace, Rotherham (Notts County, Tranmere, Walsall, Shrewsbury)

League Two: Torquay; Dag & Red, Northampton, AFC Wimbledon (Accrington, Luton)

Conference Premier: York; Mansfield (Alfreton, Bath City, Basingstoke, Kettering)

Conference North: Nuneaton; Histon (Vauxhall, Altrincham, Lowestoft)

Conference South: Ebbsfleet; Forest Green (Eastleigh, Truro, Weston-super-Mare)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Canvey Island; Harrow (Tooting & Mitcham, Aveley, Cambridge City, Chatham)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: FC United; Worksop (Chasetown, Wingate & Finchley, Burscough, Whitby)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Redditch; Dorchester (Evesham, Stourbridge, Cirencester, Bashley)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: King's Lynn, Grays (Romford, Wivenhoe)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Walton Casuals; Folkestone (Faversham, Eastbourne Town)

Evo-Stik Division One North: Marine; Woodley Sports (Bishop Auckland, Stocksbridge)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Ilkeston; Curzon Ashton (Kidsgrove, Coalville)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: St Albans; Bedford (Romulus, Biggleswade Town)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Didcot; Bideford (Abingdon Utd, Flackwell Heath)

---

FA Cup: Arsenal (Norwich)

League Cup: Arsenal (Norwich)

Johnstone's Paint: Colchester (Huddersfield)

FA Trophy: Mansfield (Chester)

---

Champions League: Barcelona (Liverpool)

Europa League: Tottenham (Internazionale)

Super Cup: Barcelona (Tottenham)

2013/14 Season Preview - Swindon Supermarine - Blue Square South

SwindonSupermarineFC.jpg

Transfers

Media Prediction: 18th

Ttitle Odds: 80/1

Despite finishing 2nd last season, our title odds have now doubled, proving once again that FM reputation is screwed. We lost a few excellent squad players and have struggled to find replacements, meaning our transfer activity will certainly stretch beyond August. The main thing is our first XI has stayed mostly intact, apart from the departure of Piorkowski, which means young Hardy immediately assumes a starting spot.

Pre-season results were excellent, with six wins in six and an aggregate of 28-1. The highlight being a 10-0 smashing of Corsham.

With both captain and vice-captain leaving the club, Anthony Ashman assumes the captaincy, with Koroma his deputy.

Archived