Club Reputation went down!!!

I started a career with boreham wood, took them threw the divisions & straight to the premier league. During this time my club reputation grew steadily to two and a half seasons.

Then after my 1st season in the premiership (finishing 14th) the message about club reputation at the end of the season shocked me with 'Boreham Wood's reputation level has dropped a little during this period'.

I don't know if anyone can help me understand why in the biggest league in the world with the massive media coverage, added to my improvements in many facilities & solid season, why my reputation has dropped?

is club rep getting fixed in the patch? won the eurodevisea and got far in the champions league every season yet my reputation drops to "national"?

playing as ajax

and don't try and defend the bug because people have been winning the champions league multiple times and still have a "national" reputation!

is club rep getting fixed in the patch? won the eurodevisea and got far in the champions league every season yet my reputation drops to "national"?

playing as ajax

and don't try and defend the bug because people have been winning the champions league multiple times and still have a "national" reputation!

Your playing in the Dutch league.

I noticed the same in an older FM version:

I was playing with Bayern Munich and when i arranged friendlies the clubs shown under "similar reputation" never got better...and that was after winning the CL 5-6 times in a row.

So i used FMRTE to look at whats happening with my club's reputation: when the new season starts it always drops back to roughly the same value, a value that is capped by the league reputation.

Perhaps this has been changed in FM11/12, but it doesnt look that way from what you wrote.

Don't Ajax start with a national rep just out of interest?

i assumed they were more popular than ukranian, russian or mls teams? psvs reputation according to a news item has gone up, and it says mine has gone down. yet they finished mid table, i won it and got to the quarter finals of the champions league and the last 16 the next year! desperate to know if this will be fixed in the patch? plus those champions league ties were against barcelona and man utd If other ppl are winning the champs league multiple times and not at least having a continental reputation something is wrong. ajax won the champions league in 1995

Playing in Northern Ireland, having won 5 straight premier league titles, CL group stage 4 times, currently in the round of 16 in the Euro League after finishing third in the group, my reward is... club reputation went down to the 8th in Northern Ireland because of having to sell players who didn't want to stay and now have 4 players this week (including others who are silent for now but have complained already before) be concerned that they want to move to a bigger team because obviously my club rep is still 1 star while my players rep are national/continental, even though all of them were signed on frees at 16-20 years old since I couldn't sign any established players and all of their rep was gained while on my team. Amusing stuff really.

A theory question though for whoever might like that stuff, but why does reputation drop for a team after they sell a player? For one thing, its not like the squad value is going down unless you just make a terrible sale, since you're getting money back. Sure its possible the team becomes worse talent wise if they don't invest the money properly or the chairman runs away with it, but I don't get why reputation drops because of the sale, instead of the consequence of the sale instead. If Napoli sells Hamsik or Lille sells Hazard or AC Milan sells Pato, those teams aren't suddenly going to become less well known all of sudden. If by selling those players, their performance drops and they fall out of Champions League spots then at that point their rep should drop since their performance is worse. Dropping just for selling the players honestly seems silly, especially for lower leagues where it puts the team into a vicious cycle of: perform well -> club rep goes up a little -> players rep goes up a lot -> players want to leave/get sold -> club rep goes down -> back to starting point.

...but why does reputation drop for a team after they sell a player?

I'm speculating here but I'd say that established talent trumps euros. Consider the following scenario: a consortium of gazillionaires creates a brand new team in the EPL and funds it with three billion euros. The team will begin play next season but has not a single player nor any staff at present. Would you accord this team the same reputation as Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal? Not likely, I'd suggest. Because of their humongous stack of banknotes, they will no doubt be able to bring in some serious talent in short order and, therefore, I'd think that the football world would assign the team a considerable amount of respect. But I doubt it would initially rival that of the aforementioned clubs, each of which is worth considerably less than three billion. Now, my example isn't perfect because it doesn't address recent performance (or lack thereof) between the above teams but it does suggest why reputation at any given team drops after a big sale.

It depends on the player sold. If Barcelona sold Messi/Xavi, then you could argue that Barcelona's reputation would drop a little. If Arsenal sold van Persie, you could argue Arsenal's reputation would drop as he's the only real world-class player they have.

On the other hand, if Arsenal sold Squillaci, nobody would bat an eyelid - Squillaci contributes very little towards Arsenal's reputation (at least its good reputation, not its reputation of bad defending).

SI should comment this. How this reputation system works?

It is very frustrating to perform better that expected many years in a row. Win some cups here and there. Getting closer to the top teams. But all this time club rep just goes down down down. No reward.

Then it is time to come here and start guessing with other members that how this works or does it?!

Many feature are like this, nobody knows how they work exactly.

..so bring in the new features of fm13 and dont ever bother to explain us how they work!

I'm out of here.

Well, I suppose me saying that there should be no drop in reputation for selling kinda overshadowed what I was trying to get at, I suppose. Pretty much derailed my whole point which was silly, I was just frustrated by dropping to 8th of the league really :D

The point I was trying to make though is that reputation should be much more dependent on the results after the transfer than the transfer itself. Take the RL example of what could happen if Van Persie gets sold from Arsenal. It’s not a huge secret that Arsenal has problems, and if they took all the money they got from the sale (probably at the least Torres’ money, so 50M Euro+) and invested it properly they could fill up some of their holes, say picking up a creative midfielder, get an attacking mid/winger who can actually score and not just a short term loan, and pick up fullbacks so they don’t have to play 4 CB’s anymore. Now, Van Persie is a great player obviously and its possible that by selling him Arsenal just crashes and burns and even falls out of Euro Qualifying, but it’s also possible that people step up and the new additions can even get them into Champions league which is an improvement since Arsenals only 5th at the moment, and the reputation of Arsenal at the end of the year should be either the same or better if they have good results following the transfer.

The problem is that in FM12 right now, at least from my experiences and seeing others posting as well, this isn’t happening because the negative rep lost from transfers aren’t being made up by the success the club has after it. You can see that from Dafuge’s screenshots and if you read his career updates where he shows the transfers he needs to make because players won’t resign for the team. Worth almost 25 times more than the next best team and winning 10+ straight league titles while making the CL group stage many times leads to a third best club rep in Northern Ireland with only a 1 ½ star rep? That doesn’t make any sense. I’m not saying that his team’s rep should be 5 stars or something, but it should be higher than all the other teams in NI and nearing the threshold for club reps in NI which is clearly not happening. For me as well, I started the year I’m in with a 1 ½ star rating and 3rd in NI, but after two transfers out in the summer I went down to 1 star and 6th in the nation, and 1 transfer out in the January window (and 1 youth player transferred in) I went down to 8th in the nation. I wouldn’t be worried about this if my performance resulted in a proportionate increase in my rep so that I can easily get back up, but unfortunately that hasn’t happened. I don’t mind that it takes a while to raise club rep, but all I’m saying is that it actually has to be possible. I don’t want to gain half a star every time I win a champions league game or something silly like that, but at the same time I’d rather not have my rep plummet every time I sell a player either.

Anyways, TL: DR: either tone down the rep lost for players transferred out or raise the rep gained for actual results/successes that a team has to compensate

Archived