The seconds move too fast on fm 12... Scam?

i just noticed that the seconds move too fast in fm 12 matches when the pitch is active with match speed is in the middle. Pretty sure this was not the case on fm 11 though I can't confirm... Any chance SI did this on purpose to reduce the time of the overall game and hence reduce the average number of goals per game?

Maybe they got tired of "super keepers". Many won't notice as well. But isn't it weird that the seconds in game pass by A LOT faster than it should be. Even with one tick less it is still faster.

That won't solve anything. The issue is that the game does not play for 90 minutes because the time counter is way too fast. We all know there have been issues with 'too many clear-cut chances being created', 'too many shots on goal, 'super keepers', 'poor defending' etc. Isn't it possible that this is one of the ways SI have used to try and solve this problem? Is it the way forward? Don't think so.

i just noticed that the seconds move too fast in fm 12 matches when the pitch is active with match speed is in the middle. Pretty sure this was not the case on fm 11 though I can't confirm... Any chance SI did this on purpose to reduce the time of the overall game and hence reduce the average number of goals per game?

Or just the slider is based on a completely different scale rather than real-life seconds. It's not a conspiracy, it's just a game mechanic.

Seriously, come on.

I can dispel this conspiracy. I'm still on FM11 and both the clock and players move too fast at the middle setting. Two notches to the left is about right for me. If the evil geniuses at SI were running a con, the middle setting would move the players at normal speed while the clock zoomed ahead.

I wonder if there are people who only play one day at a time so their season ends the same time has the one in real life

I dimly recall a long time ago a poster relating how he took his laptop to a live match with FM set up to play in real time the same match that he was attending. That can't be crazier than the OP's conspiracy theory, but it's a whole lot more entertaining!

People actually spend 60 minutes watching a game in FM? :D

Dedication to say the least!

Not at all. In particular, having come from games like PES and FIFA (Manager) the match engine was the first thing that intrigued me, as it played out much closer to a real-match of footie. In important games, such as im portant finals, I'm still watching them on full. THIS is dedication. :-D

Anyway, what is being noticed here has always been the case. In this German article from 2006, in which Football Manager and FIFA Soccer are predicting the outcome of the World Cup 2006, SI are quoted as saying that their engine would simulate "a sixth of every second", which is about right if you watch ten seconds of in-game time pass by on the "medium" settings. By that time, six to seven seconds of real-time will have passed. You could argue the action moves a tad to fast on the "medium" settings, but this is what SI were being quoted as saying.

Now obviously compressing time was done for a reason, maybe balancing ones - games such as FIFA and PES have "issues" keeping their score lines realistic even within the two by six minutes they play out - that is not much longer than it takes to fetch a beer and take a pee during the half time break of a real football match. But it has always been the case. I've been wondering if SI aim to expand on that in the long run.

LOL - Just change the time setting, how can yiu gurantee you are exactly in the middle and is the middle a real time equivalent. In addition it may also depend on what you are watching, if its highlights then time may speed up between the highlights of the match

I can dispel this conspiracy. I'm still on FM11 and both the clock and players move too fast at the middle setting. Two notches to the left is about right for me. If the evil geniuses at SI were running a con, the middle setting would move the players at normal speed while the clock zoomed ahead.

Yes, two notches to the left is closest to real life seconds and while I agree that the gameplay might be slightly speed up at medium setting, there is no way the speed (two notches to the left) simulates real life. It is way too slow.

That's true but a big part of that is because the ME skips over a fair amount of dead time on throw-ins, goal kicks and the like regardless of time setting.

Wish it would skip over the medical staff ambling onto the pitch, scratching their bums and ambling off 5 minutes later.

That's true but a big part of that is because the ME skips over a fair amount of dead time on throw-ins, goal kicks and the like regardless of time setting.

If you rewatch it by either saving it as a pkm file or clicking on the result in the "fixture" screen, for example, the entire thing will and can be played out without any of the cutting short though. Surely at the slowest setting, which is really thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssss suuupppper sssssslllllooooooooowwwwww, the match lasts more than 90 minutes. Keeping the speed slider on the default setting (middle of it), one second of in-game time equals to 0.6 or 0.7 real-time. Which means without the shortcuts, on these default settings a match about lasts as long as a real match without the time the ball isn't actually being played (50-60 minutes each).

I'm still wondering what the long-term goals are, and if the major engine alterations that are supposedly being worked upon will alter time compression too - hopefully SI won't ever go the way of FIFA or PES. Both are fine games for what they are, but as far as commercial games are concerned, FM is pretty unique in its approach to portraying the sports.

Archived