+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 'Lessons in Calcio' - Crouchy, Facci Sognare!

I'm now wondering what kind of accent you expected me to have WS!

I tend to think of myself as not having much of an accent or at least having a fairly neutral accent.

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

David James I expected , isn't he from round your end

Reserves

David James is from Devon.

Part-Timer
    Bill Shankly \'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.\'

Welwyn Garden City, is where David James is from. AL7 postcode. I reckon that's near St. Alban's

Welwyn Garden City isn't too far away. Can't think what David James sounds like tbh!

Part-Timer

Reserves

I didn't realise you meant that David James.

No, in all seriousness, I made a mistake. James did indeed grow up in Welwyn. His family lives in Devon, which is one reason he chose to move to Bristol City.

Back on topic, it's been ages since your last update, Crouchy. Also, is the save you mention in your location still active?

Semi Pro

It might be Mike And as for an update in this, its in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    I didn't realise you meant that David James.

No, in all seriousness, I made a mistake. James did indeed grow up in Welwyn. His family lives in Devon, which is one reason he chose to move to Bristol City.
    To be honest, I can't really tell if David James has an accent, just like I can't really tell if I have an accent or not.

I guess we all probably feel like we don't have an accent maybe.

Back on topic, it's been ages since your last update, Crouchy. Also, is the save you mention in your location still active?
    I'm in January with Perugia. Haven't got around to posting up an update yet for the winter break. But as you asked, how about a very informal update! Coming in the next post!

WINTER BREAK SUMMARY - Project 3: A.C. Perugia Calcio season 2016/17:

Here are the results for the first half of season 2016-17: http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...nfirsthalf.jpg

I'm putting the images up as links instead of embedded images. When I embed the images, they always seem so small on the forum these days, however when you click on them they come up a bit bigger so I figured inserting the URLs instead would be better. Any feedback appreciated regarding this.

As you can see, we had a very nice start to the season and went on a fantastic unbeaten run in September. In fact, we performed pretty strongly up until December time. We had somewhat of a crash going into the winter break. This was mainly down to losing our first choice strike force of Wilker and Serge Nyuiadzi. It's really the same story here at Perugia at it has been at my other clubs in that, if we lose some members of the first team to injury, we really don't have enough quality in reserve to come in during any injury/suspension crisis.

I honestly feel that there aren't any teams in this division that we can't beat on our day. The trouble is keeping our players fit and in form. I don't think our league position is any fluke. We deserve to be here but we will definitely need to work hard to stay there in the second half of the season.

In other news, we're in the semi finals of the Serie C cup or the Coppa di Lega Pro (whatever it's called!) where we will face Giulianova (who are top of our division) over two legs. Being at this stage in the competition, I will definitely have to take the tie seriously, and I'll be fielding a strong team and trying to win the cup!

Squad - http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z..._Players-2.jpg

Matteo Solini has been a rock for us in the heart of defence. Lorenzo Lollo has equally been a strong defensive presence in the middle of the park.

Tommaso Vailatti is our captain and a model professional as well as a talented wide player. He has been superb. Wilker, a cult hero for me personally, is also doing well. His goalscoring in the cup has seen us progressing but he needs to hit the target more often for us in the league really.

In general, the team are performing quite strongly and I don't have any major complaints. Just really a small moan that we don't have sufficient quality in reserve. If we were to lose two or three key players, it could hit us really badly, so I'm worried about that. But this is the nature of lower league football on a tight budget.

League table - http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...w_Stages-1.jpg

Fourth place in the league and looking strong. A decent goalscoring record and one of the better defensive records in the league proves that we are a good side and deserve to be pushing for a play-off position. The target for the second half of the season is to stay where we are and keep up the good work.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 23-04-2012 at 12:12.

I've put the FM game images up as URL links instead of embedded images.

Basically, when I embed the images, they always seem so small on the forum these days. However when posted as links and you click on them they come up a bit bigger so I figured inserting the URLs instead would be better. Any feedback appreciated regarding this.

Reserves

Not looking too bad. Definitely prefer links as embedded pics are in theory better but for some people it makes page loading very annoying if there are too many.

Also, is the save you mention in your location still active?
    I have been hugely tempted to go back to my FM10 Saints save. I have a number of targets in that save that I badly want to try to achieve. The most pressing and significant is that of getting Michel Vermeer to break the club's record for total league goals scored. Others include trying to win a World Cup for the first ever time on a CM/FM save with England, who I am currently managing on that particular save. I've never won the World Cup before and I badly want to do it. I'm in a good position on that save to try! Also, there are other things like trying to get a stadium named after me and trying to get a son to come through the ranks! So I have a ton of reasons to get back to that save.

As Flamers alluded to above, I have been extremely tempted to fire up the Saints save again and, indeed, I sense that I will probably do so soon. I may alternate with this save as I am enjoying my time with Perugia and keen to continue my fledgling career in Italy. I've found myself really missing a one club, small club to big club, type of save lately. Perhaps going back to my Saints save occasionally will fulfil that desire!

I've also been reading the CSE forum in threads such as the Big Euro thread (where Iacovone has been posting a great deal) and Gundo's challenge thread. It has tempted me to start a new save on FM12 to try to complete one of those challenges. Decisions, decisions. I've often wanted to start a save in Sweden, for example, and work my way through their league system with a small club to big club challenge in mind. The Big Euro thread is very active and looks a really fun challenge as well. There is something that really tempts me about taking on a challenge from CSE! I just don't know at the moment! I do know that I am longing to try one of those kind of challenges. I always end up feeling like this when I'm doing a career game though. Not that I'm not having fun with this save. I definitely am and I am keen to progress with Perugia and to try to land my dream job at Hellas Verona in Serie B in the not too distant future!

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

But yeah, the short answer is that the Saints save will probably almost definitely (interesting concept) make a comeback soon.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 23-04-2012 at 12:23.

Youth Team

My Messina save was the Big Euro Nation Challenge, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely glad I went for journeyman this time though. So many enjoyable experiences I never would have had if I'd done a one-club save - from double promotion at Southend, hitting the big time at Werder, losing my way under the weight of expectation at Arsenal, stepping out of my comfort zone at Santos, and then coming home to Newcastle. I'll always look back fondly on my time at Messina, and Merthyr before that, but this save has been much better. Unfortunately, I also have less time to play than at pretty much any other time in my life!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by williamshankley View Post
    Welwyn Garden City, is where David James is from. AL7 postcode. I reckon that's near St. Alban's
    AL8 postcode actually. I walk past his parent's house on the way to school. \o/

Going well in the league, crouchy, let's hope you can keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Not looking too bad. Definitely prefer links as embedded pics are in theory better but for some people it makes page loading very annoying if there are too many.
    Good point Deltablue. I think I'll stick with mostly links now for that reason as well as the fact that embedded pictures are too small on the forums for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    My Messina save was the Big Euro Nation Challenge, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely glad I went for journeyman this time though. So many enjoyable experiences I never would have had if I'd done a one-club save - from double promotion at Southend, hitting the big time at Werder, losing my way under the weight of expectation at Arsenal, stepping out of my comfort zone at Santos, and then coming home to Newcastle. I'll always look back fondly on my time at Messina, and Merthyr before that, but this save has been much better. Unfortunately, I also have less time to play than at pretty much any other time in my life!
    Interesting thoughts SnakeXe.

I'm all over the place at the moment. On the one hand, I'm enjoying Perugia a lot and wanting to progress to Hellas Verona if I can (maybe, possibly!) and so this save is great!

On the other hand, I'm craving that one club save feeling when you're setting club records and rebuilding teams rather than starting all over again. Certainly, when I moved to Perugia, I found it such a drag to start team building and implementing my philosophy all over again. I love the challenge that I see going on in the CSE forum and enjoy reading the updates. It's making me want to join in with a small club of my own!

Then, finally, although I've run out of hands, there is actually part of me that is dying for a career save in England, believe it or not! That's mostly because I am reading Jonathan Wilson's biography of Brian Clough. I'm craving the humble beginnings at Hartlepools United, the big opportunity to move to Derby County and so on and so forth! There are some great clubs in England that I would love to manage and never have on FM as I have normally managed St. Albans City when I play in England. Also, I love English football and fancy getting stuck into an English lower league save! So I'm a bit all over the place at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSpurs94 View Post
    Going well in the league, crouchy, let's hope you can keep it up
    Thanks MattSpurs94.

I've now reached a pretty crucial point in our season. We have some massive coming games up and three in particular catch the eye. They all follow one another so some big results here could make (or break) the season!

It's late February and first we play follow promotion chasers and rivals, Ternana, in the Derby Dell'Umbria! MASSIVE!

Then we go up against Giulianova in the Serie C Cup! We're at the semi-final stage so this is pretty huge and I badly want to try to get to my first final and win my first cup! This semi takes place over two legs!

I'll be uploading some YouTube videos of these three games. They'll be coming up shortly.

The pressure is on the Perugia boss. This could be a defining point in my career in Italy!

Perugia v Ternana in the league:

What a massive result!

It featured some crucial moments in the game where, as a manager, you have to earn your wages.

I got the boys really fired up for this one and we raced into a 3-1 lead by half-time.

In the second-half, disaster struck as Ternana pulled another goal back to reduce the deficit and then Wilker got himself sent off.

I steadied the ship with some tactical changes and also brought on a substitute who restored our two goal lead with his first touch of the ball!

Ternana went up the other end and got a penalty to make it a tense final 15 minutes. Thanks to some back to the walls defending with 10 men, we pulled off a fantastic result to help us in our play-off chasing campaign!

Perugia v Guilianova - Serie C Cup Semi-final First Leg!

Despite dominating the first-half, we somehow went in at 1-0 down. A disaster in our bid to reach the final of this competition.

Once again, I had to earn my wages and turn around this team. My half-time team talk had to turn this ragtag bunch of players around and guide them to victory.

Our captain, a model professional, stepped up and pulled us level. Then, I once again pulled off a managerial master stroke by bringing on a sub who would go on to score the winner in the final minute of normal time.

A one goal lead to take into the second leg was decent but not as satisfactory as I wanted it to be, if I am speaking honestly. It leaves us with a tense and tough second-leg to overcome! Can we make it to my first ever final as manager?

Guilianova v Perugia - Serie C Cup Semi-final, Second Leg!

Once again I was made to work hard to get a result in this match.

We actually dominated possession and played very well but weren't clinical enough in front of goal at times.

When Guilianova got an early goal, I feared the worst. I was delighted once again when our ever reliable captain, Tommaso Vailatti pulled one back for us. However, we went into the break 2-1 down on the night, which put our aggregate score level at 3-3.

At half-time, it was time to make a careful decision in terms of motivating the players. Did I lay into them over the result on the night? Or be a little more encouraging based on the aggregate score?

In the end, I remain fairly calm but make it clear I'm not happy. The players respond and man of the match, Wilker, strikes fairly late on to make it 2-2 on the night and 4-3 to us on aggregate! We're through to the final!

Youth Team

Great three games!

Indeed. It's moments like these when suddenly you think to yourself, 'maybe I'm not so bad at this game after all'!

Perugia v Poggibonsi - Serie C Cup Final, First Leg:

We take a narrow lead into the second leg of the final. It's going to be an extremely tense second-leg, that's for sure!

In the second-leg, we'll be missing our best centre-back in Solini and also our midfield playmaker Cortese. Both are out with injury.

It's going to be a tough one!

Poggibonsi v Perugia - Serie C Cup Final, Second Leg:

Poggibonsi win the game 1-0 to make it 1-1 on aggregate at full-time.

But Crouchy's boys are fired up and clinch the win in extra-time with two goals to make it a 3-1 aggregate win for Perugia!

My first trophy in Italy!

Reserves

Poggibonsi - my absolute favourite name in Italian football. That word alone makes me want to learn Italian.

Well done on the trophy. Do you ever fancy managing outside Italy?

My vague and sort of general plan for this save is to establish myself as a top manager in Italy and then look to move abroad. So yes, that will come at some point, I hope!

When I do move abroad, it'll be 'Lessons in Calcio applied to.....' whatever I end up!

I'd like to try a few places that I've not managed before. Not sure yet though where I might go!

Youth Team

Great job winning the Serie C Cup! Never managed that one myself - it's like the JPT or FA Trophy, by the time you're good enough to win it you've been promoted.

Great job winning the Serie C Cup! Never managed that one myself - it's like the JPT or FA Trophy, by the time you're good enough to win it you've been promoted.
    I know what you mean. I have, however, won it before with Hellas Verona on FM10 (my Calcio Journeyman save).

As for the FA Trophy and JPT, I know exactly what you mean. Pretty sure I have won the FA Trophy, although I don't remember when or even who with! Don't think I've ever got the JPT though.

Do people like the videos of the key matches (like finals etc.) or do you guys prefer just to see screenshots of stats and that kind of thing?

Crouchy's 'Lessons in Calcio' Journeyman Save - Project 3: A.C. Perugia Calcio (Season Two at Renato Curi 2016/17)

Click here for post 310 which shows the situation we were in going into the winter break.

Below, I'm posting up an image of the results we recorded after I joined the club as manager. I'll talk you through the results and my thoughts as we tackled the job of turning the club around and avoiding relegation! [By the way, the results below will just be league results and I'll do a separate post about any cup ties we were involved under the screenshots section.]

Results for second half of season 2016/17

I notice that I've included the last three games of December 2016 but never mind. We were in a bit of a bad spell going into January, as you can see from those last three games, but things were about to get better and better for us going into 2017.

I think a real turning point in our season was the victory over our local rivals, Ternana, at home (see YT video posted in this thread above). We still had some ups and downs going into March but I started to believe in our promotion bid and to feel more sure that we could make the play-offs.

We hit great form at just the right time going into April and more or less came from nowhere suddenly to be title challengers! I couldn't believe it. It felt bizarre, seeing as we were 9 points off, I think, at one point! We kept recording victories and picking up points though and soon we were only a few points off top spot.

The away match against Barletta proved to be an absolutely crucial one. It was the last match of the season. At this point, we were just two points off top spot. We needed the team above us to lose or to draw and, as long as we won our match, we would be champions! Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out like that, as we struggled to break down a stubborn Barletta defence. We only picked up a point and although the eventual champions, Sudtirol-Alto Adige, did lose on the final day, we had just missed out on winning the title.

I wasn't too discouraged but basically started to think about another season in this division. We still had the play-offs to come but I honestly figured that we would be knocked out in the semis. The play-offs are such a lottery and so I didn't place any faith in progressing that way.

We had an extraordinary run though. In the semis against Reggina, we came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in the away leg, much to my delight and utter surprise! We booked ourselves in the final with a comfortable 2-0 home win in the second leg.

In the final against our local rivals, Ternana, my team once again showed incredible character, coming back from 2-0 down, once again, to win the away leg 3-2! For the second time, we had managed to turn a game around in a huge match. It meant that we went into the second-leg with a clear advantage. Once again, we were required to come from behind, as we went a goal down in the first-half. In the end, we drew 2-2, winning 5-4 on aggregate! What sweeter way to do it is there than against your local rivals?

So we are Serie B bound! Unbelievable! We may not have the best team in terms of ability but this team proved time and time again this season that they have real character and spirit. We'll need every ounce of it to survive in Serie B next season!

This whole season has been my most enjoyable in Football Manager 2012. Not just because of the cup success and promotion. Just the feeling of having a tightly knit bunch of players who I can fire up and get the right reactions from, and also the sense that we could match anyone on our day and play our part in some exciting football matches. It's been very entertaining stuff and, of course, winning helps!

Screenshots:

League Table
    League Positions Graph

We didn't really look in contention for the title really until the latter part of the season. Yes, you could say that other clubs above us played poorly and let us into it, but I'm taking the positive view that we played ourselves into it in the second half of the season. To snatch promotion was awesome, even if the title was beyond us in the end, as I never imagined we would have this level of success in my first full season at the club.

Italian Cup - We were knocked out in the 1st qualifying round. Didn't take it seriously and treated it like a pre-season friendly.

Serie C Cup - The league was always the priority but, almost before I knew it, we found ourselves in the semis and I suddenly realised that winning it was a possibility! We beat some very good sides on our route to the final, such as Reginna, Foggia, Sudtirol-Alto Adige (winners of our league) and Guilianova (also rivals in the title race in our division). Wilker's goals played a key part in getting us to the final and winning it. Also, captain Tommaso Vailetti scored some vital goals along the way.

Transfers - Big, big changes in the summer before this season, as I detailed in my pre-season preview. The likes of Thomas Lo Monaco and Diego Mota became key players for us with some of the others on that list ending up as very important squad players to keep us going when times were tough with injuries and suspensions.

Squad Statistics

Key players:

Matteo Solini - Very solid defender and a key player in our side.

Lorenzo Lollo - Played the more defensive number 4 role in our midfield. Proved to be such a consistent player for us. Unfortunately, we've lost him due to him wanting to leave at the end of his contract, so I'll have to replace him for next season. Will be a big loss.

Girolamo Cortese - This guy matured this season and put in some great performances. At the same time, he isn't my most trusted player in terms of his character and personality. He is talented though so I'll have to make a tough decision this summer. If I was to get a good fee that would fund a good replacement, I would probably take it.

Tommaso Vailatti - An absolutely key player. Our captain is a model professional and has 100% the right attitude to lead this team. I trust him and I knew that he wouldn't let me down in the big games. 15 goals and 13 assists in all competitions shows that my faith has very much been repaid. When we needed something big in some of the massive games we played this season, Vailatti was often the man to provide it. Great player!

Wilker - Another player who I know I can rely on to put in a shift. Perhaps would have scored more goals in the league but I rotated him and gave him different strike partners. Sometimes, he was more the number 9 style player and others more the creative 10. Solid and always did a good job for us. A player I rarely have to give a telling off as he normally produces the goods. His goals in the cup were massive for us and he scored one or two important ones on the way to the trophy!

This was the team of the year:

Career Overview:

Code:
    Season    Team			League                   Position    Achievements/outcomes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011/12   A.C. Giacomense	Serie C2/A	         18th        (Took over after 18 games) Relegated
    2012/13   A.C. Mezzocorona	Serie C2/B	         9th         
    2013/14   A.C. Mezzocorona	Serie C2/B	         2nd         Promoted!
    2014/15   A.C. Mezzocorona	Serie C1/A	         8th         Overachievers!
    2015/16   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie C1/B	         13th        (Took over after 13 games)
    2016/17   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie C1/B	         2nd         Promoted via play-offs! Serie C Cup winners!

Next Season:
    Next season is going to be tough, for sure. I will need to try to bring in some more quality to help us to survive at a higher level. I'm not sure we are ready for Serie B, to be quite honest, and I'm not sure how many of these players will be able to make the step up. We will, however, give it our best shot. The one thing I know is that I have a squad with real character and spirit so hopefully that will help us in our bid for Serie B survival.

My A.C. Giacomense Record (2011 - 2012 [133 days]):

Code:
    P 	W 	D 	L 	F	A	Win % 		Competitions Won / Achievements
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    19	5	7	7	17	23	26%		None

My A.C. Mezzocorona Record (2012 - 2015 [1085 days]):

Code:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    143	57	43	43	179	153	39%		Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone B Runners-up

My A.C. Perugia Calcio Record (2015 - present [585 days]):

Code:
    74	39	18	17	128 	84	52%		Coppa Italia di Lega Pro Winners!
    								Lega Pro Prima Divisione Runners-up
    								Lega Pro Prima Divisione Play-off Winners!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 26-04-2012 at 17:04.

I've got some video footage of the thrilling play-off final over two legs between Perugia and local rivals Ternana.

The first leg went like this:

Amazing turn around for us!

And then we sealed the deal in the second leg:

With that, we were suddenly thrust into Serie B for next season! What an incredible end to a roller-coaster ride of a season!

Reserves

Must have felt great being Ternana of all sides to go up!

Yeah, felt awesome beating rivals in the final! That made it all the sweeter!

You ought to have seen me in that first leg though. I was going mental at 2-0 down. We pulled one back and I was a little calmer.

When we went to 2-2, I was pretty excited....... and at 3-2 to us, let's just say I was pretty animated!

Youth Team

Amazing season from Vailatti, do you think he's got a season in Serie B in him? Looking over your four key men I'm a little concerned for your chances at a higher level, you'll have to buy well in the summer. Perhaps go for a few big signings to create a strong spine and try and build from there.

Amazing season from Vailatti, do you think he's got a season in Serie B in him? Looking over your four key men I'm a little concerned for your chances at a higher level, you'll have to buy well in the summer. Perhaps go for a few big signings to create a strong spine and try and build from there.
    I would like to make some big signings but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. I've got no wages to spend at all. I'm down on my budget from last season.

I'm having to sign some youngsters and bring in some loans. It's going to be a tough, tough season in Serie B, for sure.

Being utterly honest, I'll be keeping my eye out for another job. In an ideal scenario, maybe the Hellas Verona boss has a difficult start to the season....... ;) Well, I can keep my fingers crossed anyway!

International Squad

Well done Crouchy.

Project 3 - Season Three at A.C. Perugia Calcio - Season 2017/18 Preview

Board Expectations:
    Serie B - Avoid relegation
    TIM Cup - Get to Second Qualifying Round

My Expectations:
    Serie B - Would be happy with 19th! Just want to stay up!
    TIM Cup - Will be treating it as a pre-season friendly

Budgets:
    Transfer - £0
    Wages - £19,800/week (£25,000/week currently)
    Balance: -£965,055 (things are getting better since I arrived!)

Squad info - Same as last season really. I've made some 'like for like' signings to replace a few players we lost. It's more or less the case that I've focused on improving the depth rather than the quality. Given the poor budget, I haven't had the opportunity to really improve the squad. We'll be relying on team spirit and character to get ourselves out of trouble this season rather than ability!

Key Men - Essentially the four remaining members of the key players from last season's end of season update. Girolamo Cortese, Matteo Solini, Serge Nyuiadzi and Wilker will be the key men once again!

Tactical approach - Much the same as last season. I'll be sticking with 4-4-2 and focusing on clean sheets first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Well done Crouchy.
    Cheers Nobby.

Reserves

Hope you can survive ok.

Thanks Deltablue! Me too!

Going to be a long and very tough season, I suspect!

What a way to begin life in Serie B!

DECISION MAKING TIME!

This just in - Crouchy offered Brescia job!

Opinions gentlemen?

On the one hand, my opinion is just YES! On the other hand, I'll be slightly teary eyed to be leaving Perugia. I'm enjoying it here and I wanted to make sure that they survived in Serie B.

Let me just give a run down of where we are before discussing my options. This is the league table at the beginning of December, with the winter break fast approaching:

As you can see, things are really tight for us down at the bottom of the table but we're currently in the safe zone. The team isn't good enough for this level, of that there can be no doubt, and it's pure team spirit and character that is keeping us in contention for survival in Serie B this season. I'm having to use every single bit of my motivational skills and managerial nous to keep us going. It's really tough. I feel sure that I can keep us in the division though. I think we're better than at least three teams in this division and that should be enough to see us survive!

On the bad side, we have no money and things aren't improving on that front. The board have little ambition and won't give me more wages to bring in better players. I can foresee that if I stay on next season, I'll end up in the same boat. They'll be telling me to survive with no money again. It makes for some tense and, at times, exciting management but I can't say I want to do it all again next year without any feeling of progressing.

I mean, if I tell you some of our stats financially, you'll see where the problem lies and what a great distance it is for us from the top sides in this division. Our top earner is on £2.4k, whilst the league's top earner is on £27k! We have the lowest earner in the league on £190 per week! And our average wage is £775 per week, whilst the league's average is £2k! We just can't compete with the majority of the league.

Brescia are offering me £5.5k for three years, which is already a longer contract than any other side has offered to me. I'm currently on £1.9k, so this would be a pretty big pay rise! But the real attraction is the wage budget of £98k! This compared to my current budget at Perugia of £19.8k!

I don't know a lot about Brescia to be honest as a club, except that Roberto Baggio played for them for a while, and that makes them pretty awesome already. Looking through some of their players, I can already see that probably all of them would walk into my Perugia side. They have the most international players in the league (4) and are expected to finish in 4th position according to the media prediction.

All in all, this is a much bigger club than I'm currently at and a big opportunity in my career. However, it's not Hellas Verona, which is the move I wanted! That said, looking at it logically, it would be crazy to turn this move down given the opportunity it presents. I would be joining a big club, be given the chance to steady the ship, could take the rest of the season to get some of my footballing principles installed at the club, then next season I could (maybe, possibly, hopefully) push for promotion! This job could be my way into Serie A! Hmmm, I need to go away and research Brescia before making any decisions, of course. Plus, I still feel sad about the idea of leaving Perugia.

So, people of FMCU, advice and thoughts please! Give me your input on this big crossroads in my Italian career and it will be much appreciated!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-04-2012 at 15:40.

Reserves

I just about say you should go.

Thanks for your thoughts deltablue. At the moment, I'm feeling the same way. I'm not sure another job offer like this will come up for a while and I think I should just man up and take the thing! Maybe, possibly.

I guess the thing that is worrying me is that there has been a lot of changing jobs in this career so far. I've not stayed anywhere for a terribly long time.

Whatever move comes next probably needs to be a longer-term move. But is Brescia the right club?

Part-Timer

Take the job. It's a step up. Far bigger budget meaning you'll be able to compete, rather quickly

CROUCHY LEAVES PERUGIA!

I'm out of there!

Very sad to leave but it had to be done, I'm afraid. The opportunity to manage Brescia was just too big to turn down. I also had to remind myself that this is a journeyman career thread and not a small club to big club style of game. I'm playing realistically and surely any manager would move when offered a massive pay increase, along with a hugely increased wage budget at a bigger club?

We can definitely say that project 3 at Perugia has been a success. Not only did we turn around Perugia's fortunes, we also managed to win a trophy and get promoted! I leave the club playing at their highest level since they reformed. They have a fight against relegation, which will be difficult, and I would have loved to have stayed on to make sure that they were safe. I leave them, however, with a squad of players who will fight until the end and a team with the sort of character that makes them special. I think they have a good chance of survival and it is my belief that they are good enough to avoid relegation narrowly. They're certainly not the worst team in the league and I believe firmly that there are at least three teams that should finish below them to ensure their safety. Of course, they need to get in a decent manager to replace me but I'm hopeful that they will survive.

So, my travels in Italy continue and this time I'm off to Brescia in the north of Italy! Bye, bye Perugia, it's been fun and we've had some good times. In the bigger picture of my career, Perugia gave me a big chance and my time here ended up being a defining point in my career as I won my first cup and finally got noticed by a bigger club in Serie B. Best of luck to my old club but I must move on now!

I must also mention that four of my staff followed me out of the club, including my assistant, one of my coaches, a physio and a scout. Also, Brescia paid Perugia £55k in compensation for my services!

My A.C. Perugia Calcio Record (2015 - 2017 [739 days]):

Code:
    91	43	22	26	148 	110	47%		Coppa Italia di Lega Pro Winners!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-04-2012 at 17:17.

Project 4 - Brescia Calcio

No time to dwell on the decision and no time to catch my breath as I'm thrust straight into my new job at Brescia. We're underachieving in a big way, sitting 14th in the table having been predicted by the media for a 4th place finish.

Brescia Calcio are located in Brescia, Lombardy. Their colours are blue and white and they play their home games at Stadio Mario Rigamonti. They have good training facilities and excellent youth facilities, which is great stuff!

The club is affectionately known as Rondinelle. Wikipedia lists several nicknames for the club including: Rondinelle (Little Swallows), Biancoazzurri (White-blues), Leonessa (Lioness).

Some of our rivals include Atalanta, Verona, Fiorentina, Vicenza, Bologna, Roma Genoa and Napoli. Wow that's quite a few clubs! Atalanta is going to be the big one, and we're in the same league as them this season. The derby against them is called the Lombardo derby, somewhat predictably!

Brescia is situated at the foot of the Alps, between the Mella and the Naviglio, with a population of around 197,000. It is the second largest city in Lombardy, after the capital, Milan. Brescia is known as the Lioness of Italy (Leonessa d'Italia) after ten days of popular uprising that took place in the city in the Spring of 1849 against Austrian rule.

I've read John Foot describe Brescia as a 'well-to-do industrial town' and the club as a provincial club. If anyone can tell me anything else about Brescia then I'd be interested to know!

Attendances appear to be around the 7,900 mark (compare that to around 6,500 at Perugia). We have around 1,873 season ticket holders who were expecting us to go for promotion this season. Interesting, this is actually less than the 2,629 season ticket holders that we had at my last club).

This is the club badge:

I have to confess that this actually played a part in my acceptance of the job. It looks pretty cool to me!

Now most of you who know your Italian football will know that Brescia once had this footballer who was pretty useful called Roberto Baggio. The Divine Ponytail is my favourite ever Italian footballer and certainly one of my favourite players of all time. I loved watching him in the 1990 and 1994 World Cups (I felt immense sadness when he missed that penalty versus Brazil in the final in 1994), in particular, and used to follow his career on Channel 4's Football Italia! I didn't have an Italian team to follow back then because I basically wanted whoever had Baggio at the time to win! So Brescia were a team I followed basically because of the Baggio link!

Here are some awesome facts about Brescia Calcio, mostly found out from Wikipedia!

The club was founded in 1911 and throughout their history they've mostly been a Serie B and Serie A yo-yo club.

Brescia signed former FIFA World Player of the Year Roberto Baggio in 2000 and he led them to a 7th place finish in the 2000–01 season, which is the best finish that Brescia has ever had during their time in Serie A.

Baggio spent four years at Brescia before retiring in 2004 and during those historic four years, Brescia became widely known as 'Baggio's Brescia'.

During Baggio's four-year spell with Brescia, Brescia recorded their best-ever run of staying in Serie A. In the very next season that followed Baggio's retirement (2004–2005), however, Brescia were relegated from Serie A on the last day, finishing a lowly 19th.

The club is famous for the white 'V' on its shirts. The first appearance of a white 'V' was in 1927. It was removed for a while but since 1991 this historical and traditional part of the kit design has stayed in place.

Among the famous players to have been at the club are Josep Guardiola, Gheorghe Hagi, Luca Toni, and Andrea Pirlo (born in Brescia). Not a bad little list there to add to Roberto Baggio! I could certainly make a decent team out of those guys!

Brescia were predicted to do well this season and to be challenging for promotion. They are currently struggling, however, in 14th place in the table. My immediate job is clearly to steady the ship and to start taking them back up the table. I'll be aiming to finish comfortably top half really. A brief glance at the squad shows that we have some good players. I'll need to work hard at bringing in some 'Crouchy players' though who fit my player template. I see maybe some changes coming in January during the transfer window and I certainly see some transfer activity next summer to get this squad into shape to challenge for promotion next season.

Well, I'm here now, and it certainly seemed too big an opportunity for my manager to turn down. The wage budget is so much superior to my previous club. At last, I have something decent to work with here in order to build a squad capable of challenging for promotion to Serie A. The pressure will be a greater here though as we're at a bigger club. The pressure will be off this season and the three year contract gives me some security (which I have never had before in this career). However, next season will surely see much more pressure on my manager. I must use my time wisely and start putting my plans and strategies into place to ensure that I can take this club forward.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-04-2012 at 17:20.

Part-Timer

Looking forward to this next chapter

CROUCHY'S FIRST INTERVIEW AFTER JOINING BRESCIA!

Thought I would share with you one or two of my answers!

Q. You sit here the new manager of Brescia. Is this is your dream job?
    A. I am pleased that the chairman has trusted me with this position.

Q. Considering that you are a Verona fan, it seems a little strange that you have taken the Brescia job. Will your love for Brescia's rivals cause any conflict in your approach to managing the club?
    A. I realise that the fans may take a little time to get used to me and that may make things tricky. (What I really wanted to say here is that when I manage a club I become a die hard fan of that club regardless of any affiliations I may have with others and that I will be devoted to any club that I manage!)

Q. This is a big step up for you, are you nervous?
    A. I don't get nervous. I feel quite calm.

Q. In leaving your previous job, you disappointed a number of Perugia supporters. Any regrets?
    A. Of course I regret that but football is like that sometimes. I'd like to apologise to them but hopefully they will understand my reasons for moving on.

Q. What is your tactical approach to the game?
    A. It all depends on the situation. There are so many variables in football that to have just one approach would be irresponsible.

The headline that the media went with is: 'Crouchaldinho thrives on pressure'!

Reserves

Indeed you do.

Part-Timer

Imagine the dilemma if the Verona job came up.............

Good luck with Brescia .

Youth Team

Great move, and good luck turning things around to finish top half. It's always slightly harder than you think coming in halfway through a season.

Indeed you do.

Imagine the dilemma if the Verona job came up.............
    Hmmm. That would be a dilemma. I mean, if they offered something similar in terms of wage budget, I'd probably jump ship!

Quote Originally Posted by SRL88 View Post
    Good luck with Brescia .
    Thanks!

Great move, and good luck turning things around to finish top half. It's always slightly harder than you think coming in halfway through a season.
    Wise words as usual SnakeXe. It certainly is, especially given my 'all or nothing' approach when it comes to introducing my managerial philosophy at a new club.

David James I expected , isn't he from round your end
    Speaking of David James, guess who is my new goalkeeping coach at Brescia!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Speaking of David James, guess who is my new goalkeeping coach at Brescia!
    Brilliant....... Its fate

Reserves

That picture of Brescia is gorgeous. It's hard to take a photograph of anywhere in Italy that doesn't make me want to go.

Cracking work with Perugia. You probably think you'll miss them but it's strange how quickly you move on. In my game, Gold Coast Utd already feel miles away in my past!

Best of luck with Brescia. I'm sure they've got the right man at the helm.

Thanks Mike7077!

Things have been tough early on at Brescia. We lost four in a row before the winter break.

I always have slow starts when I move to a new club, so it wasn't unexpected for me at least.

We've just picked up our first point against Taranto at the Erasmo Iacovone. Reminded me of someone but I can't think who.......

Reserves

Really Mike? I've heard it's a rather ugly town.

Careful what you're saying about my new home, Deltablue.

Reserves

Really Mike? I've heard it's a rather ugly town.
    I don't know where you live, but I live in England. We specialise in ugly towns. Never go to Corby, that's all I'm saying. Brescia might not exactly be Florence, but it looks lovely in the picture in this thread!

International Squad

I've heard Brescia isn't nice either, but I've never been so can't comment from experience.

Third Team

Santarcangelo is nice, I hear. From someone who's 'lived' there for over 15 years...

I'm here for footballing reasons only, chaps. I don't care what the place looks like - there is a football club to be managed!

JURY STILL OUT FOR BRESCIA BOSS

Fifteen games into life with his new club and the jury still remains out on current manager Crouchaldinho's tenure at troubled Serie B strugglers Brescia.

With no major transfer transactions of note and a with a good, if unremarkable, record in the league so far, Crouchaldinho appears to have made a steady start at Mario Rigamonti.

Meanwhile, sad days at Perugia. My replacement hasn't managed to carry on the good work that I started this season.

They haven't won since I left the club. They have now gone on a winless run for eighteen games.

If I was still there, they would be surviving. Right now, they look doomed and certainties for relegation, which is sad.

It's not exactly happy days for any of my old clubs. Mezzocorona got relegated last season and are now fighting for survival for a second season running at C2 level. And Giacomense are still down at Serie D level - they haven't recovered since I relegated them in my first season as a manager in Italy.

Crouchy's 'Lessons in Calcio' Journeyman Save - Project 4: Brescia Calcio (Season One at Mario Rigamonti 2017/18)

Click here for post 343 which shows the situation we were in when I joined the club at the beginning of December.

Below, I'm posting up an image of the results we recorded after I joined the club as manager. I'll talk you through the results and my thoughts as we tackled the job of turning the club.

Results

So, first things first, I didn't really enjoy this time with Brescia. It was tough. The squad was in bad shape, lacked character and I had some real issues with one or two players. A few times, I showed interest in other jobs and the fans hated me. I also nearly lost my job over one declaration of interest (Hellas Verona!) but apologised and that seemed to calm things down.

After taking over, I guided the team to four straight losses. The fifth game saw us finally pick up a point against Taranto at the Erasmo Iacovone! A win against Triestina brought me my first three points as manager.

In February, we went on a great run of 10 games unbeaten and suddenly looked as though maybe we could make a very late push for the play-offs. It wasn't to be though.

Most embarassing result of the season came in early May as we lost 6-2 away at Padova. Shortly afterwards, we went and beat rivals Cremonese away and then we absolutely thrashed the then top of the table team in Livorno. A 6-0 win!

That last paragraph pretty much sums things up. This team has some half decent players but lacks character and consistency. There are some real problems that will need addressing in the summer.

This season was the first time that I have had to get really heavy handed with certain players. After the 6-2 loss at Padova, for example, I fined pretty much the whole squad for poor performance and then had various meetings and interactions with the players to lay down the law to them.

I can't say that I enjoyed this season. I found it frustrating, mainly because this just wasn't my team. It wasn't a side in the Crouchy template. I see a massive rebuilding project on the horizon this summer.

A finish in 10th place was decent enough and matched my expectation that we should at least get into the top half of the table by the end of the season. This team has been under poor management for a couple of seasons now. We actually ended up with a better points tally than last season.

Information & Screenshots:

Final table:

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team                |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   | C     | Livorno             |       | 42    | 27    | 7     | 8     | 65    | 31    | +34   | 88    | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   | P     | Taranto             |       | 42    | 24    | 12    | 6     | 75    | 37    | +38   | 84    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Chievo              |       | 42    | 22    | 12    | 8     | 64    | 41    | +23   | 78    | 
    | 4th   | P     | Varese              |       | 42    | 21    | 11    | 10    | 77    | 63    | +14   | 74    | 
    | 5th   |       | Juve Stabia         |       | 42    | 21    | 7     | 14    | 66    | 53    | +13   | 70    | 
    | 6th   |       | Pisa                |       | 42    | 20    | 9     | 13    | 74    | 56    | +18   | 69    | 
    | 7th   |       | Atalanta            |       | 42    | 17    | 13    | 12    | 50    | 34    | +16   | 64    | 
    | 8th   |       | Padova              |       | 42    | 18    | 10    | 14    | 64    | 57    | +7    | 64    | 
    | 9th   |       | Triestina           |       | 42    | 18    | 8     | 16    | 64    | 53    | +11   | 62    | 
    | 10th  |       | Brescia             |       | 42    | 16    | 12    | 14    | 58    | 54    | +4    | 60    | 
    | 11th  |       | Empoli              |       | 42    | 15    | 14    | 13    | 74    | 57    | +17   | 59    | 
    | 12th  |       | Verona              |       | 42    | 15    | 14    | 13    | 51    | 42    | +9    | 59    | 
    | 13th  |       | Benevento           |       | 42    | 16    | 10    | 16    | 53    | 54    | -1    | 58    | 
    | 14th  |       | Pescara             |       | 42    | 13    | 16    | 13    | 53    | 55    | -2    | 55    | 
    | 15th  |       | Cremonese           |       | 42    | 15    | 9     | 18    | 69    | 76    | -7    | 54    | 
    | 16th  |       | Novara              |       | 42    | 15    | 7     | 20    | 52    | 63    | -11   | 52    | 
    | 17th  |       | Nocerina            |       | 42    | 13    | 11    | 18    | 64    | 79    | -15   | 50    | 
    | 18th  | R     | AlbinoLeffe         |       | 42    | 8     | 16    | 18    | 39    | 57    | -18   | 40    | 
    | 19th  |       | Piacenza            |       | 42    | 8     | 12    | 22    | 39    | 73    | -34   | 36    | 
    | 20th  | R     | Südtirol-Alto Adige |       | 42    | 8     | 11    | 23    | 32    | 69    | -37   | 35    | 
    | 21st  | R     | Perugia             |       | 42    | 5     | 15    | 22    | 37    | 68    | -31   | 30    | 
    | 22nd  | R     | Grosseto            |       | 42    | 6     | 6     | 30    | 36    | 84    | -48   | 24    | 
    |       |       |                     |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 
    Italian Cup - Knocked out before I arrived.

Transfers - I didn't make massive changes straight away. I felt that if I could just sign a few solid players with good character, it would see us through to the end of the season. I knew that my main rebuilding would come this summer. Out of the signings I did make, Jaime was a really good one. He looks like a quality player and should be a real asset next season once he has settled and is playing in a better team.

Squad Statistics

Key players:

I'm only going to list two as we were so poor this season.

Pablo Hervias - Decent winger who put in some key performances for me. Unfortunately, even this isn't enough to make me want to keep him on. He'll likely be sold in the summer!

Alessio Pasquale Viola - Good return on the goals but he is another player that I will most likely sell on. We can do better!

Not even going to post the team of the year. They were crap and they'll all be gone next season as we undergo a Crouchalution!

Career Overview:

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011/12   A.C. Giacomense	Serie C2/A	         18th        (Took over after 18 games) Relegated
    2015/16   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie C1/B	         13th        (Took over after 13 games)
    2016/17   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie C1/B	         2nd         Promoted via play-offs! Serie C Cup winners!
    2017/18   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie B	         	 N/A         (Left after 16 games with the team in 18th place)
    2017/18   Brescia Calcio	Serie B	         	 10th        (Joined after 16 games with the team in 14th place)

Next Season:

A complete rebuild and revolution at the club. Everything will change. I'll be signing up a new team. The people of Brescia will finally get to see a Crouchy team! Will they like it? Stay tuned to find out!

Code:
    19	5	7	7	17	23	26%		None

Code:

Code:

My Brescia Calcio Record (2017 - present [248 days]):

Code:
    26	11	6	9 	40	35	42%
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 05-05-2012 at 17:19.

Sadly, two of my former sides were relegated.

Perugia lost their fight for survival in Serie B, whilst Mezzocorona actually fell back into Serie D. Giacomense remain a Serie D side.

Sad times! Terrible management from Mezzocorona in particular to have suffered two relegations in as many years.

Reserves

Poor Mezzocorona

Third Team

Booo Mezzocorona (only because they beat Santarcangelo) ;)

Project 4 - Season Two at Brescia Calcio - Season 2018/19 Preview

Board Expectations:
    Serie B - Top half of the table
    TIM Cup - Get to 4th Qualifying Round

My Expectations:
    Serie B - Want to challenge for the play-offs
    TIM Cup - Don't care - will be treating it as a pre-season friendly

Budgets:
    Transfer: £0
    Wages: £83,000/week (£82,700/week currently)
    Balance: -£2,800,000

Squad info: Huge changes!

Transfers: There had been a Crouchalution at Brescia! I felt that this club needed a complete overhaul in terms of the playing staff. There has been a few years of underachieving but there won't be on my watch! Time to ship out some of the players with poor character who have been letting the club down. In come some players in the Crouchy template - professional, ambitious, determined, and hopefully talented too! It's huge changes at the club but I think it'll be worth it in the long-term.

Key Men:

Helder Santos - My 'big' money signing. Defensive-minded midfielder.

Tommaso Arrigoni - Central midfielder and my new captain.

Jaime - One of my first signings from last season when I joined the club. Talented wide player.

Federico Laurito - Solid looking forward who I'm hoping will score the goals we need!

We've made major changes going into this season and I'm concerned that we'll have a particularly slow and difficult start as a result. But my stubborn nature and my arrogance insisted on a Crouchalution at this club! This is my team now and therefore the pressure really is on to succeed!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 06-05-2012 at 11:12.

Looking forward to seeing the reshape of this squad come together.

Thanks SRL88!

WINTER BREAK SUMMARY - Project 4: Brescia Calcio season 2018/19:

Here are the results for the first half of season 2018-19:

I've decided to use more text tables in my thread as it seems that they will be clearer to the reader. Whenever I embed images, they always seem so small on the forum these days, so I think I'll use more text and then just use insert the odd URL to an image instead. Hope this works out better. Any feedback appreciated regarding this.

As you can see, the 'Crouchalution' hasn't been all that successful. I'm paying the price for my own stubborn and arrogant nature. Such a huge overhaul left me with a poorly gelled team and it showed in this first-half of the season. I also have taken some time to find my best team and to get my tactics right.

We kicked off the season by getting knocked out of the TIM Cup by Parma on penalties, followed by four straight draws in the league. A first win away to Cittadella gave me some respite from the disappointment of the fans and local media, but it didn't last too long as we lost three in a row against Nocerina at home, Novara away and Chievo at home.

At this point, the press started to speculate that I would be sacked as manager if I didn't get a result against Pisa at home in Brescia's next league match. Fortunately, the boys didn't let me down and we won. We then won a further two matches to pull ourselves up the league and to pull me somewhat out of trouble!

With my job secure again, just about, we pushed on and actually started getting some decent results, which meant that we found ourselves sitting in a much more comfortable mid-table position in the league going into the winter break. Have we turned a corner?

One thing is definitely clear though. I'm not popular with the fans. They hate me. I've applied for other jobs and really pushed my luck with them. Also, they're not happy with the way we are playing this season and they are not happy with the football, which they think is boring. To be honest, they're right. It's boring and we're losing too often. Not good.

I'm a stubborn manager and also an arrogant one. I'm sure I can turn it around and I'll be staying on until the bitter end. I'm starting to hate Brescia though. I don't have a good relationship with the fans and if I do succeed here, I feel like it will be to spite them more than anything!

Ultimately, I think this team is good enough and I want to invest more time in them to see them come good, even if I have to stay at this hateful club. I'm staking my reputation on being able to turn this mess around.

Squad:

Code:
    | Pkd | Inf | Name                   | Position         | Apps   | Gls | Ast | MoM | Pas R | Tck | Drb | Sh T| Yel | Red | Av Rat | Nat | Value | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | GK  |     | Yassine El Kharroubi   | GK               | 21     | 0   | 0   | 0   | 68%   | -   | -   | -   | 0   | 0   | 6.81   | MAR | £100K | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | DR  |     | Jordan Ikoko           | D (RL)           | 21     | 0   | 2   | 1   | 75%   | 2.95| 0.23| 0%  | 6   | 0   | 7.04   | FRA | £40K  | 
    | DCR | PR  | Antonio Magli          | D (C)            | 7 (3)  | 1   | 0   | 0   | 71%   | 2.02| 0.12| 100%| 0   | 0   | 6.74   | ITA | £35K  | 
    | DCL | Wnt | Mohamed Diarra         | D (C)            | 18     | 0   | 1   | 0   | 71%   | 2.76| 0.12| 28% | 3   | 0   | 6.90   | GUI | £200K | 
    | DL  | PR  | Fabrizio Grillo        | D/WB (L)         | 19     | 0   | 0   | 0   | 83%   | 3.21| 0.32| -   | 2   | 1   | 7.06   | ITA | £12K  | 
    | MR  | PR  | Florian Klein          | WB/M/AM (R)      | 18 (1) | 0   | 1   | 0   | 83%   | 2.57| 1.49| 7%  | 0   | 0   | 6.64   | AUT | £40K  | 
    | MCR |     | Hélder Santos          | D (C), DM, M (C) | 19     | 3   | 2   | 1   | 83%   | 3.46| 0.21| 19% | 1   | 0   | 6.96   | POR | £725K | 
    | MCL |     | Tommaso Arrigoni       | M (C)            | 17     | 2   | 6   | 1   | 82%   | 2.78| 0.65| 25% | 2   | 0   | 7.00   | ITA | £140K | 
    | ML  | Wnt | Jaime                  | M/AM (L)         | 16 (2) | 1   | 1   | 1   | 80%   | 1.47| 2.10| 41% | 0   | 0   | 6.83   | ESP | £1.1M | 
    | STCR| Inj | Giorgio Citi           | AM (C), ST       | 20     | 3   | 5   | 2   | 79%   | 1.68| 0.70| 50% | 2   | 0   | 6.80   | ITA | £35K  | 
    | STCL| Wnt | Federico Laurito       | ST               | 13 (2) | 7   | 2   | 1   | 79%   | 2.28| 3.07| 45% | 6   | 1   | 7.09   | ARG | £220K | 
    | S1  | Wnt | Geoffrey Lembet        | GK               | -      | -   | -   | -   | -     | -   | -   | -   | -   | -   | -      | CTA | £50K  | 
    | S2  |     | Antonio Balzano        | D/WB/M (R)       | 1 (4)  | 0   | 0   | 0   | 61%   | 3.42| 1.90| 0%  | 2   | 0   | 6.53   | ITA | £6K   | 
    | S3  |     | Jaroslav Volf          | D (C), DM, M (C) | 1 (1)  | 0   | 0   | 0   | 58%   | 2.67| -   | -   | 1   | 0   | 6.40   | CZE | £16K  | 
    | S4  | Wnt | Renzo Micheli          | DM, M (C)        | 2 (10) | 0   | 1   | 1   | 80%   | 2.53| 0.46| 8%  | 1   | 0   | 6.83   | ITA | £375K | 
    | S5  | PR  | René Schultz           | M/AM (R)         | 2 (5)  | 2   | 0   | 0   | 74%   | 1.78| 1.07| 60% | 0   | 0   | 6.82   | DEN | £275K | 
    | S6  |     | Mariano Berriex        | M (L)            | 5 (9)  | 0   | 0   | 0   | 85%   | 2.08| 1.19| 50% | 0   | 0   | 6.72   | ARG | £50K  | 
    | S7  |     | Ezequiel Rescaldani    | ST               | 4 (13) | 2   | 2   | 1   | 72%   | 1.27| 0.56| 37% | 2   | 0   | 6.83   | ARG | £45K  | 
    | -   |     | Nicola Madonna         | M/AM (R)         | 2 (8)  | 0   | 0   | 0   | 68%   | 3.74| 0.58| 0%  | 1   | 0   | 6.59   | ITA | £3.5K | 
    | -   |     | Raúl García            | DM, M/AM (C)     | 4      | 1   | 2   | 0   | 84%   | 1.99| 0.57| 0%  | 1   | 0   | 7.17   | ESP | £16K  | 
    | -   |     | Geoffrey Adjet         | D/WB/M (L)       | 3 (1)  | 0   | 0   | 0   | 77%   | 0.63| -   | -   | 0   | 0   | 6.40   | FRA | £9K   | 
    | -   |     | Dario Venitucci        | DM, M (C)        | 1 (3)  | 1   | 0   | 0   | 85%   | 1.08| 0.54| 50% | 1   | 0   | 6.88   | ITA | £20K  | 
    | -   | PR  | Giovanni Conti         | DM, M (C)        | 1      | 0   | 0   | 0   | 72%   | 0.00| -   | -   | 1   | 0   | 6.60   | ITA | £12K  | 
    | -   | PR  | Alessandro Giovannelli | GK               | 1      | 0   | 0   | 0   | 55%   | -   | -   | -   | 0   | 0   | 6.60   | ITA | £14K  | 
    | -   |     | Neil Martin            | M (RL)           | 1 (2)  | 1   | 0   | 1   | 86%   | 0.75| 0.75| 100%| 0   | 0   | 6.93   | WAL | £325K | 
    | -   | PR  | Ceri Maggs             | D (C)            | 18     | 0   | 0   | 0   | 67%   | 1.82| 0.06| 66% | 4   | 0   | 6.79   | WAL | £450K | 
    | -   |     | Lars Riis              | AM (R), ST       | 7      | 4   | 1   | 2   | 80%   | 1.76| 1.17| 66% | 0   | 0   | 7.07   | DEN | £425K | 
    I think the squad aren't as strong as I would like at the back, for starters, and I also think maybe I didn't do a good enough job finding a striker partner to complement Laurito. But I'm more or less stuck with this lot. I think bringing in new players during January would put the gelling back even more and I don't want to risk that. At the moment, I'm really disappointed with both wide players. They just aren't creating enough for the forwards. I need to resolve that tactically or with change of personnel in the next half of the season.

League table:

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Empoli      |       | 20    | 12    | 5     | 3     | 43    | 18    | +25   | 41    | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | Benevento   |       | 20    | 13    | 1     | 6     | 40    | 20    | +20   | 40    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Nocerina    |       | 20    | 10    | 8     | 2     | 37    | 19    | +18   | 38    | 
    | 4th   |       | Torino      |       | 20    | 10    | 6     | 4     | 31    | 18    | +13   | 36    | 
    | 5th   |       | Chievo      |       | 20    | 10    | 5     | 5     | 31    | 24    | +7    | 35    | 
    | 6th   |       | Cremonese   |       | 20    | 10    | 5     | 5     | 38    | 25    | +13   | 35    | 
    | 7th   |       | Triestina   |       | 20    | 10    | 5     | 5     | 28    | 19    | +9    | 35    | 
    | 8th   |       | Bologna     |       | 20    | 9     | 6     | 5     | 33    | 27    | +6    | 33    | 
    | 9th   |       | Atalanta    |       | 20    | 8     | 8     | 4     | 24    | 19    | +5    | 32    | 
    | 10th  |       | Novara      |       | 20    | 9     | 4     | 7     | 29    | 22    | +7    | 31    | 
    | 11th  |       | Brescia     |       | 20    | 8     | 7     | 5     | 26    | 23    | +3    | 31    | 
    | 12th  |       | Juve Stabia |       | 19    | 8     | 4     | 7     | 24    | 32    | -8    | 28    | 
    | 13th  |       | Pisa        |       | 20    | 8     | 3     | 9     | 27    | 30    | -3    | 27    | 
    | 14th  |       | Cagliari    |       | 20    | 7     | 4     | 9     | 28    | 26    | +2    | 25    | 
    | 15th  |       | Verona      |       | 19    | 6     | 7     | 6     | 13    | 18    | -5    | 25    | 
    | 16th  |       | Pescara     |       | 20    | 6     | 6     | 8     | 29    | 31    | -2    | 24    | 
    | 17th  |       | Frosinone   |       | 20    | 4     | 6     | 10    | 14    | 27    | -13   | 18    | 
    | 18th  |       | Reggina     |       | 20    | 5     | 2     | 13    | 18    | 33    | -15   | 17    | 
    | 19th  |       | Cittadella  |       | 20    | 4     | 4     | 12    | 16    | 33    | -17   | 16    | 
    | 20th  |       | Piacenza    |       | 20    | 4     | 3     | 13    | 19    | 39    | -20   | 15    | 
    | 21st  |       | Padova      |       | 20    | 3     | 2     | 15    | 20    | 40    | -20   | 11    | 
    | 22nd  |       | Modena      |       | 20    | 2     | 5     | 13    | 10    | 35    | -25   | 11    | 
    11th is not terrible and we're still in touching distance of the play-off positions. It's still a terrible disappointment though. I guess at least a strong second half to this season could see us getting into the sort of position that would sit more comfortably with the board and fans. Can I turn the corner with Brescia? Stay tuned!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 06-05-2012 at 15:06.

Reserves

Definitely expected better from this season.

You aren't the only one Deltablue.

To make matters worse, Serie A side Napoli came in for my major signing from the summer, Hector Santos, and paid £1.4m to sign him. The chairman took matters into his own hands and accepted the offer. So I've lost one of my key players, which is very disappointing.

It's all adding up to me hating Brescia and wanting out! But I must turn this side around and prove everybody wrong first.

Reserves

That's the spirit.

Third Team

How are Santarcangelo getting on?

Currently 13th place in Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone B.

They've been at that level the whole time and have been mid-table pretty much all of that time too. Highest finish was 7th back in 2011/12.

Third Team

Currently 13th place in Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone B.

They've been at that level the whole time and have been mid-table pretty much all of that time too. Highest finish was 7th back in 2011/12.
    At least they haven't been relegated!! Cheers Crouchy. That Brescia situation is not fun at all

CROUCHY RESIGNS!

Brescia Calcio boss Crouchaldinho has decided to end his reign at Mario Rigamonti by resigning from his position as manager.

Brescia are on a poor run of eight games without a win and, with the end of the season now in sight, find themselves in 13th place in Serie B.

Brescia are now looking for a new manager. Among the favourites to replace Crouchy are Domenico Di Carlo, Angelo Cogoni, Salvo Fulvio D'Adderio and Gianluca Vialli.

More to follow.......

Part-Timer

No point staying if you hate the place

Indeed Jaycar. I hated my time at Brescia and I'm glad to be out of there. Full post-mortem coming up!

Reserves

Oh dear, that's a shame, you could have managed great things if they'd gone well.

Lessons in Calcio - What did I learn from the Brescia experience?

I had a horrible time in Brescia and I'm glad to have resigned to be away from that place! The club didn't feel right from day one and all it did was get worse and worse as time passed! The fans never took to me, the board were impatient, and by the end of my time I lost the dressing room.

This was the league record on the day that I resigned:

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 13th  |       | Brescia     |       | 34    | 12    | 13    | 9     | 39    | 41    | -2    | 49    | 
    We were 7 points away from our predicted league finish of 5th and also the same number of points away from the play-offs. The league was extremely tight so a placing of 13th actually looks worse than it actually was. A few good results could have catapulted us up the table.

As you can see from our league record, we drew too many games. Our losses column is comparable to many sides in the top six but where we went wrong is not converting enough draws into wins.

Our goals scored column is terrible and one of the main reasons for our terrible position. Our goals conceded is nothing to be proud of either.

In terms of the actual results, I really thought we had turned the corner in January. We beat Pescara away and then Benevento at home. After that was a huge test as we had to play the then top of the table side, Empoli. We went to their place and beat them 2-1 with a fine performance of real character. We rounded off this little run of form with a home win over Cittadella. Four wins in a row took us up to 5th in the table! I was looking forward to coming on here and updating my progress at that point!

But poor form followed as we kept dropping points. Wins turned into draws and, before I knew it, draws into defeats. Eight games without a win! After a 0-0 draw with Padova at home, my job status was insecure. I was losing the faith of the players. I was starting to feel the pressure.

A loss by a single goal away to Atalanta followed by a 0-0 draw at home to lowly Modena underlined the point to me. Not only were we crap and headed for a disappointing league finish but I hated this place, the fans, the players, the board and the lot of it! So I handed in my notice and here we are!

I believe that I could have got out of trouble and I don't think I would have been sacked. I think I could have guided us to a disappointing mid-table finish and started again next season. But after the loss at Atalanta and the draw at home to lowly Modena, I realised that I had just had enough.

Looking back at my time in Brescia, I can clearly see the mistakes I made. So, what did I learn from this experience?

1) The 'Crouchalution' was a failure - I changed too much, too quickly: The arrogance and stubborn nature of my manager resulted in a complete change at the club in terms of playing staff, philosophy, tactics, you name it! It was too much at once. Maybe I would have succeeded at a smaller club with less expectations where the pressure was off for both me and the players. But this was a bigger club expecting a promotion push and it was a mistake to change everything at once. The gelling in period was always going to harm me but it lasted for far too long and we suffered as a result.

2) Failed to build a balanced team: I didn't do a good job in my rebuild. It's as simple as that. In particular, the defence was not good enough. I had one top quality centre-back and then two players fighting for a place alongside him who were realistically just squad players or backups. It shows in our defensive record. I got the midfield just right, which I can be pleased with, but the forwards were also poor. Laurito was the one player with quality, whilst once again I had two younger players who really ought to have been backups competing for a place alongside him. This was the price of making too many changes at once. I guess you could also say that it was a case of panic buying because I needed players and quick. I should have been more deliberate and should have changed the squad much more slowly. When my top quality centre-back started wanting a move and getting unhappy about it, and when my top quality forward got injured, the team was in real trouble.

3) Lost the dressing room: Towards the end, I started to lose the dressing room. With morale at an all time low, I needed to be careful in my approach. I started to let emotion get the better of me, however, as I was starting to really hate Brescia and some of the players I was working with! I feel pretty confident I could have turned this around actually but I think it's a measure of how much I wanted to leave the club that I carried on making poor and emotional decisions with my team talks etc.!

4) Bad luck: The curse of any football manager. I was also a victim of circumstances. I lost players for long periods to injury, like my top quality play-maker and my best forward. With those two out for 3-4 months, I didn't have adequate replacements. There were other examples of bad luck on and off the pitch. On the pitch, there were times where we should have got three points only to have some unlucky last minute goal against us. Off the pitch, my board of directors sold one of my big signings over my head in the January transfer window and I didn't have the chance to replace him or to do anything about it.

So I leave Brescia with my ego wounded. I hope my reputation has not been harmed too much by this episode! I've got my fingers crossed than I can attract another Serie B side. I will be prepared to make the drop down to C1 level if I have to, but really I'll take any Serie B side, even if it means going for a side who are going to be battling relegation.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 07-05-2012 at 12:56.

Career Overview:

Code:
    2017/18   A.C. Perugia Calcio	Serie B	         	 N/A         (Left after 16 games with the team in 18th place)
    2017/18   Brescia Calcio	Serie B	         	 10th        (Joined after 16 games with the team in 14th place)
    2018/19   Brescia Calcio	Serie B	         	 N/A	     (Resigned after 34 games with the team in 13th place)

Code:
    19	5	7	7	17	23	26%		None

Code:

Code:

My Brescia Calcio Record (2017 - 2019 [497 days]):

Code:
    62	24	19	19 	82	76	38%

Third Team

It's tough to take when that happens. Good luck wherever you end up!

Don't worry about me Deisler. As you're about to find out, I have a habit of landing on my feet! ;)

Third Team

Don't worry about me Deisler. As you're about to find out, I have a habit of landing on my feet! ;)
    Verona??? Surely not...?

Project 5 - Hellas Verona

Well, it was the job that I always wanted to come up! I've been waiting for this position ever since my success at Perugia!

For those who don't know, Hellas Verona are my favourite club to manage in Italy when playing FM. I've had some fun times in the past there. Indeed, for this save, I entered them as my 'favourite club' in my manager profile (rather that putting my IRL club, St. Albans City).

I got offered a bunch of jobs during the summer but all of them were at C1 level. Two of those jobs stood out, which were jobs offers at Catanzaro and Cittadella. Both are former Serie B sides who would be pushing for promotion from C1 level. I was very tempted to accept but I decided to try to hold out for a Serie B side and went on holiday for some time in order to see what other jobs would come up.

In November 2019, Verona sacked their manager, Andrea Mandorlini. All parties apparently felt that the situation at the club had become stale and that a change was needed. Mandorlini had previously led his side to relegation, followed by promotion, and then to several mid-table finishes in Serie B. Mandorlini and I have never got on and he often felt the need to have a go at me in the press. I thought he was an average manager and not good enough for Verona. Mid-table finishes was his speciality. Even when he got the side promoted from C1 level after relegating them the previous season, he only managed to do it through the play-offs rather than getting a good enough league finish. That said, I give him credit for his one real achievement of a 5th place finish in Serie B with Verona. Enough bitching about Mandorlini!

Following Mandorlini being sacked, I obviously applied and much to my surprise Verona offered me the job! I guess having them down as my favourite club might have helped? Can anyone confirm if this might have been a factor?

So now my travels in Italy take me to Verona!

Here I am in Verona, a city in Veneto, northern Italy. It has a population of 265,410. The local people are referred to as Veronesi or Scaligeri.

Verona is the city of Romeo and Juliet of course! It was also the birthplace of the Latin poet Catullus, and apparently was the town that Julius Caesar selected for his holidays.

Moving on and this is the club badge of Hellas Verona:

The team's colours are yellow and blue and gialloblu (literally, "yellow-blue" in Italian) is the team's most widely used nickname. This suits me just fine as any team in yellow and blue is good for me! Much like St. Albans, the colours represent the city itself and Verona's emblem (again, like St. Albans, a yellow cross on a blue shield) appears on most team apparel. Two more nicknames for the club are Mastini (the mastiffs) and Scaligeri, both references to Mastino I della Scala of the Della Scala princes that ruled the city during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The Scala family coat of arms is depicted on the team's jersey and on its trademark logo as a stylized image of two large, powerful mastiffs facing opposite directions.

One thing I really like about Hellas Verona is that when the club was founded in 1903, a professor of Classics apparently requested that the club be named Hellas (the Greek word for Greece). As someone who enjoys informal study of Classical literature, I can appreciate this all the more.

It seems that the club has a fierce rivalry with almost half of the teams in Italy(!) but the main rivals are probably neighbours Vicenza and also Chievo Verona (Chievo are very much the second team in the city but who are also currently the more successful of the two clubs).

Hellas Verona were probably most successful during the 1980s. They won Serie A for the only time in 1985 (the last trophy they won was the Serie B title in 1999). How I would love to take them back to Serie A once again!

My goal for Project 5 seems pretty clear: overtake Chievo, win a trophy for the first time since 1999 and take Verona back to the top division! It's going to be an excellent challenge.

I have the feeling that I have finally arrived at a 'big' club with the 38,402 all seater Bentegodi stadium. I have a decent transfer budget and a very healthy looking wage budget. This feels like a big job and a step in the right direction for my career!

In fact, the situation is similar to that of Brescia. I was offered £5k for three years (Brescia gave me £5.5k for the same length of time). The wage budget is £99k (Brescia's was £98k). Finally, I actually have a transfer budget at Verona of £475,000 (Brescia gave me £0). So in many ways I'm in a more superior situation plus I'm at a club which feels a bit more like 'home'! Talk about landing on your feet!

I take over the club in late November with 15 games gone in Serie B. Here is the current league table:

Code:
    | 1st   |       | Triestina   |       | 16    | 10    | 3     | 3     | 23    | 10    | +13   | 33    | 
    | 2nd   |       | Frosinone   |       | 16    | 8     | 4     | 4     | 22    | 16    | +6    | 28    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Benevento   |       | 16    | 8     | 3     | 5     | 24    | 15    | +9    | 27    | 
    | 4th   |       | Cagliari    |       | 15    | 8     | 3     | 4     | 16    | 11    | +5    | 27    | 
    | 5th   |       | Atalanta    |       | 15    | 6     | 7     | 2     | 16    | 9     | +7    | 25    | 
    | 6th   |       | Pescara     |       | 16    | 7     | 4     | 5     | 18    | 17    | +1    | 25    | 
    | 7th   |       | Brescia     |       | 16    | 7     | 3     | 6     | 23    | 19    | +4    | 24    | 
    | 8th   |       | Barletta    |       | 16    | 5     | 8     | 3     | 12    | 8     | +4    | 23    | 
    | 9th   |       | Reggina     |       | 16    | 5     | 7     | 4     | 19    | 19    | 0     | 22    | 
    | 10th  |       | Perugia     |       | 16    | 6     | 4     | 6     | 13    | 18    | -5    | 22    | 
    | 11th  |       | Lecce       |       | 16    | 5     | 5     | 6     | 18    | 17    | +1    | 20    | 
    | 12th  |       | Chievo      |       | 14    | 5     | 5     | 4     | 11    | 11    | 0     | 20    | 
    | 13th  |       | Pisa        |       | 16    | 4     | 8     | 4     | 12    | 16    | -4    | 20    | 
    | 14th  |       | Verona      |       | 15    | 5     | 4     | 6     | 16    | 16    | 0     | 19    | 
    | 15th  |       | Juve Stabia |       | 15    | 5     | 4     | 6     | 15    | 15    | 0     | 19    | 
    | 16th  |       | Livorno     |       | 16    | 3     | 9     | 4     | 18    | 18    | 0     | 18    | 
    | 17th  |       | Novara      |       | 16    | 4     | 6     | 6     | 14    | 18    | -4    | 18    | 
    | 18th  |       | Cremonese   |       | 16    | 4     | 4     | 8     | 14    | 24    | -10   | 16    | 
    | 19th  |       | Cesena      |       | 15    | 3     | 5     | 7     | 12    | 18    | -6    | 14    | 
    | 20th  |       | Siracusa    |       | 15    | 2     | 7     | 6     | 15    | 19    | -4    | 13    | 
    | 21st  |       | Nocerina    |       | 16    | 2     | 7     | 7     | 10    | 20    | -10   | 13    | 
    | 22nd  |       | Varese      |       | 16    | 2     | 6     | 8     | 11    | 18    | -7    | 12    | 
    I need to work with the squad and try to pull some form together. In the January transfer window, I'll be able to make some improvements to the team if I deem it necessary, which I probably will.

This project will see me take on a 'slowly but surely' approach. I'm not wanting a repeat of the Brescia situation. My aim is to slowly but surely improve the side without drastically changing things.

My immediate mission will be to steady the ship and I'm aiming for a top half of the table finish by the end of the season. Let's hope that I can achieve that, at least!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the board offered me three years but I went back to them and offered my services for five years! They accepted this proposal and so I have a five year contract. After all the moving around, I wanted a firm base on which to spend some time and to build a team. I wanted to commit to a future in Verona and that is what I have done. This is the right club for me and so it didn't really take too much thought to do this and to sign for five years. My aim is to slowly build up the side and to get to Serie A with Hellas Verona.

I've reached a key part of my career. Success here could be key to my career and could be the making of me as a manager. Failure here would be devastating and could see my career set back years. In the event of failure, I may even decide to pack up and leave Italy to start again somewhere new. But failure isn't really an option. This is my club and my home for the next five years and so time is on my side. This is my chance to make a real name for myself in Italian football!

Forza Gialloblu!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 07-05-2012 at 18:24.

Third Team

HOORAY!! Knew you'd end up there ;) Good luck!

Reserves

A very honest assessment of your failings at Brescia. I see they've gone on a little bit of a run since you left. Perhaps all those players you brought in are starting to gel.

Hopefully you'll have a better time with Verona.

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    Verona??? Surely not...?
    How did you know?

Reserves

Forza Gialloblu!

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    HOORAY!! Knew you'd end up there ;) Good luck!
    Thanks!

A very honest assessment of your failings at Brescia. I see they've gone on a little bit of a run since you left. Perhaps all those players you brought in are starting to gel.
    That table shows a new season, Mike7077. Since I've last been in management, the previous season has ended and so we're in a new season.

After I left, the new manager came in and did okay initially. He guided them from 13th place after I left to 9th at the end of the season. No great shakes really and I think we would have been around the same had I stayed on, to be honest.

He has actually been really fortunate because he was able to sell two of my players for big fees to Serie A clubs. Then he got the opportunity to spend some money. He has improved the team with a new forward but otherwise the squad is pretty much the one that I left. As you can see from the table above, he's doing okay with them. 7th place is pretty good, although they are still losing too many games. Will be interesting to see how he does with them over the whole season. Personally, I hope Brescia fall apart, get relegated, go into free fall and then never come back from Serie D. Not that I'm upset or that I have any hard feelings. I just ****ing hate them, is all. I really hope that when I play them with Verona, we beat them. I can't stand that horrible place and that horrible club! :mad:

Hopefully you'll have a better time with Verona.
    Me too! It's fate, surely? Right? I hope!

Forza Gialloblu!
    Indeed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast