Quick 64 bit question.

I know using a 32 bit system limits the amount of memory that can be addressed. I have seen suggestions that using a 64 bit OS and it's massively increased memory addressing capacity would be of benefit.

My question is do you really get the benefit of extra memory capacity if you are actually running a 32 bit program like FM on a 64 bit system? Wouldn't that program itself still be limited by it's 32 bit architecture?

I have always assumed you can only really get the full benefits by running 64 bit programs on a 64 bit OS.

If you have more than 3.5Gb of RAM in your system, then you should be on 64bit Windows as 32bit windows won't use above it by default

While there are many other technical reasons to use 64bit for your OS, you probably won't notice enough of a difference to be worth the cost

My understanding has always been if you are using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system then you might as well use that 32 bit program on a 32 bit system as there would be no performance gain at all as the 32 bit program would still be limited by the (strictly speaking 4GB ) memory mapping constraints.

Hence why I was asking the question because I have seen it implied that running FM on 64 bit would enable you to use more memory and run smoother whereas I don't think it could use more memory unless the FM program itself was also 64 bit which would then allow it access to the full installed RAM on the system.

My understanding has always been if you are using a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system then you might as well use that 32 bit program on a 32 bit system as there would be no performance gain at all as the 32 bit program would still be limited by the (strictly speaking 4GB ) memory mapping constraints.

Hence why I was asking the question because I have seen it implied that running FM on 64 bit would enable you to use more memory and run smoother whereas I don't think it could use more memory unless the FM program itself was also 64 bit which would then allow it access to the full installed RAM on the system.

Still best to get 64 as 32 is becoming redundant and you can take advantage, as there is no cost difference for windows 7 its really not a contest.

• Administrators

Due to memory limitations you can certainly run more leagues on a 64-bit operating system. With a 32-bit it's unlikely you'll be able to load more than 70-100k players without difficulties.

Archived