Should I be able to call him up?

In my current save I'm manager of St. Johnstone and the Scotland national team. I have a 33 year old Argentinian regen who has just gained a second, Scottish nationality. He has never played for Argentina at any level and is not in their squad.

So, should I be able to call him up to Scotland? According to FIFA:

"Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of his country. The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player whose nationality entitles him to represent more than one Association.

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:

(a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches. A Player may exercise this right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A” international level for his current Association and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities. Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been fielded in a match of one of these competitions.

(b) Any Player who has already acquired eligibility to play for one Association but has another nationality imposed upon him by a government authority, is also entitled to change associations. This provision is not subject to any age limits."

According to that I would say yes? I was going to post as a bug but thought I'd hear your views first and if I had missed anything out here.

Thanks everyone :thup:

It's not a bug the player has to want to play for your country. On FM11 I had a Brazilian playing in the A-League for my Wellington Phoenix side he took New Zealand nationality and when he did the news item said he had took it as he believed he would never have the chance to play for Brazil

I believe the Scottish and English FA have agreed that they will not call up anyone that qualifies under residency rules.

Hopefully this is the reason why. Because there's no such thing as a Scottish passport, the player would have a British one, the British nations have a gentleman's agreement not to call up anybody who qualifies in this way. It's the reason why Nacho Novo couldn't represent Scotland, and part of the reason Almunia couldn't represent England (not being good enough is the other reason).

Cougar: I'll have to check that one, could be a possibility.

DanaInternational: I do remember hearing about this but don't know if it would be hardcoded in the game?

AcidBurn: The problem is I don't have the option to call him up for Scotland. I've had players in the past who have had duel nationalities but have refused my call up so as to play for the other nation.

I suppose if he has declared himself eligible for Argentina I can't call him up but should I have the option to ask him to play for Scotland? According to the rules there's nothing stopping him from doing so.

There is the UK agreement mentioned by Dana and Kain but don't know if this has been implemented.

Has anyone else been able to call up a player who has gained a secondary UK nationality?

There are several players on my save that have English second nationality but have never played a game for their country. I can only call up the ones who do not have declared for in brackets after there nationality. Of course he should be declared for his home nation it is the players way of saying he would only play for them and nobody else. We should maybe have the option to ask the player to play for our nation but by not declaring himself available he does not want to play for us.

• SI Staff

In the case of duffy89's Eugenio Russo there is a signed agreement between the home nations which means only those players who have a family bloodline or who have completed five years' education in one country can represent that nation at international level. Link - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...m-craig-levein

As a result players in game who gain English, Northern Irish, Scottish or Welsh nationality due to days spent in nation do not then become eligible for that nations national team.

In the case of duffy89's Eugenio Russo there is a signed agreement between the home nations which means only those players who have a family bloodline or who have completed five years' education in one country can represent that nation at international level.

Or if they were born there themselves, of course. And the education has to be pre-18.

I think it's to stop this from happening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Johnson_(footballer_born_1976)

His international career has been notable by the fact that he played for Jamaica against United States, before being invited to join the Welsh squad. Injury prevented him from playing, and in the meantime he pledged his future to Scotland before it was confirmed he was ineligible to play for them. He was also considered to play for England during his Ipswich days, making one appearance for the England B team.

Archived