FM12: Luc Castaignos

Marsupian

Luc Castaignos

Name: Luc Castaignos

Date of Birth: 27th September 1992 (18 y.o.)

Playing Position: Striker, (right winger)

Club: FC Internazionale

Nationality: Dutch, (second nationalities: French, Cape Verdean)

SGar0.jpg

Background

Luc Castaignos is born on September 27, 1992 in Schiedam to a French father and Cape Verdean mother. He grew up in a problematic neighborhood but mainly thanks to his passion for football he stayed out of trouble. He joined the local football club Excelsior '20 at a very young age and his talent was immediately recognized. At the age of 13 he went to a trial day at Spartaan '20, a local amateur club in Rotterdam with close links to Feyenoord. His stay at Spartaan '20 only lasted one year after which he was picked up by Feyenoord in the summer of 2007 and joined the Feyenoord Academy. He signed his first professional contract on October 30, 2008 which would keep him at the Kuip until 2011 with an option for another two years.

Netherlands U17 (2009 UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship)

Luc's breakthrough came in 2009 during the UEFA European Under-17 Championship. Together with 7 other youth prospects from Feyenoord he led the Dutch team to the second place only to fall to a very talented German side. Castaignos got the top scorer award which he had to share with the German Lennart Thy both netting 3 goals and both scoring in the final match which ended 2-1 in extra time. He is the all-time top scorer of the Netherlands U-17 national team with 13 goals in 17 appearances.

Career at Feyenoord and move to Inter

After his successful international performance big clubs started showing interest in the young striker including Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Internazionale, Bayern Munich and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. Castaignos reacted to the rumors on July 22, 2009 telling his coach Mario Been and technical advisor Leo Beenhakker he wanted to stay at The Kuip. In August of 2009 he started training with the first squad and in September on the 24th he made his official debut in a cup match against Harkemase Boys (0-5) replacing Leroy Fer in the 72th minute.

His Eredivisie debut followed on the 28th of February 2010 where he came on in the last 10 minutes of the game against FC Groningen (Feyenoord won 2-3). He received his first starting place on the 24th of March in the semi final of the KNVB cup against FC Twente. Feyenoord won 2-1 securing their place in the final. His first goal followed on the 29th of August in a 4-0 win over Vitesse. In Feyenoord's troubled 2010/2011 season he made 34 appearances for Feyenoord scoring 16 goals. Feyenoord facing financial problems and a very young and inexperienced squad finished 10th that season, a humiliating 10-0 defeat against PSV cemented the season as a low point in Feyenoords history. It did give the opportunity to a lot of younger players to show themselves in the Eredivisie and at the end of the season Wijnaldum, Fer and Castaignos all moved on helping Feyenoord regain financial stability.

On March 4th Castaignos agreed to join Inter after finishing the 2010/2011 season at Feyenoord. He played a number of pre-season games with Inter and scored the opening goal in a friendly against Celtic. Castaignos Scored his first goal in Serie A in an away match to Siena on November 27, 2011, latching on to Thiago Motta’s through ball before firing low past Brkic. After the match Claudio Raneiri was quick to praise the young striker and hinted as a possible future on the wing.

Castaignos has developed into a physically strong player who works hard for the ball and displays great movement and an eye for the goal, after the interest by Arsenal and due to his determined stride the comparison with Thierry Henry was quickly made. His technique has also come along nicely and he is in no way lacking in that department although he is not known as a great dribbler or passer. His talent is widely recognized and in 2010 he was featured in the prestigious Don Balón list of the world 100 top prospects.

[video=youtube;fDCHJraqUsM]

Luc Castaignos in FM

EEzyE.jpg

In the game he is a great prospect and one of the most physically developed young strikers. With his great off the ball movement and decent workrate and anticipation you can count on him finding space. From the start he is not really suited for a creative role up front but he can do well as both a poacher and a targetman. With training you can make him into a great poacher by focusing on his quickness, composure and finishing. You can also decide on focusing on his physical side and train maybe his heading and jumping a bit to develop him into great targetman. I personally like to develop him into a complete forward and not neglecting his creative side. My aim for him into a player similar to Cavani. It should also be noted that he can play on the right wing and has the attributes to become a great inside forward or winger if you improve his crossing and speed considerably.

btw his potential is:

PA = -9, basically he can be a top striker or absolutely world class (or anything in between)

Here he is at age 20:

uf1sz.jpg

He joined me in the January transfer window of the first season from Inter to cover for Chamakh while he was on international duty. He made an instant impact for me as replacement but when Chamakh returned I had to cut his game time down. Since he has made the occasional start for me and I trained him to make him proficient on the left wing so he could cover for more positions. He has been tutored by Van Persie which didn't do too much for him but luckily I managed to increase his determination a little further by disciplining him for a bad performance. At the moment he is still performing backup duty (for some reason I had to get Cavani when I managed to sell Chamakh for 17mil) but with the frequent injuries from Van Persie and his ability to play on the wing as inside forward he should get a good amount of games this season.

Availability

He has a squad rotation spot at Inter and they consider him a good prospect so they won't let him go cheaply. I got an offer of 9mil accepted in the 2011/2012 January window and he will join a top club if you offer him a backup or squad rotation spot. Lower reputation teams will likely have to offer a first team spot if he is willing to come at all. He could be available for loan in which case his high physical attributes make him an ideal player young player to get on loan.

• 6 months later...

Archived