get a penalty with player on a hat trick

Is your striker actually any good at penalties? Is he your normal penalty taker?

If he's not then, majority of the time, if he's on a hat-trick he will take the penalty. If he has low attributes for penalty taking(Penalty taking, Composure and a few others) then he may well be piut off by the keeper and/or feel the pressure.

I hate this little feature & wish it was removed, I have instructed my players who I want to take penalties so if we are 2-1, 3-1, heck even if we're 5-0 up I do not want my CB who has scored two scrambled efforts taking the spot kick.

Even since it was introduced I have struggled to come up with a reasonable sample of real life examples where a player who is not a regular penalty taker having the honour of trying to secure his hattrick from the spot.

I remember Harry Redknapp going mad at two of his Portsmouth players because they swapped penalty-taking duties during the match.

I believe you should be able to choose the penalty taker when it is awarded - as a quick shout from the touchline would be easy IRL, so it should be available to do in the game.

The issue at the momet is that the authorised penalty taker is automatically over ruled by the player looking for a hat trick, without input from the Manager. If the game stopped and asked for approval and gave you the option to choose, then that would be fine.

The issue at the momet is that the authorised penalty taker is automatically over ruled by the player looking for a hat trick, without input from the Manager. If the game stopped and asked for approval and gave you the option to choose, then that would be fine.

I think it would be disruptive, really.

We rarely see it happen in real-life, anyway... Many teams have designated penalty takers and sacrifice personal glories (hat-tricks) for the team.

I've noticed this happening too, even with players who are supposed to be my penalty takers.

In FM11 I managed to get the Barcelona job after 8 years so Messi was still there and although marginally past his peak he was still the best player in the game and had good stats for penalties. Twice when he was on a hat trick he missed a penalty.

I think the match engine must massively increase the pressure on a penalty when a player needs it for a hat trick, it's the only explanation I can think of.

I recently had Boumsong on a hat-trick (because of the corner bug) and we got a penalty. To my horror, up steps Jean-Alain Boumsong to take it. He misses it, of course. Later on, we get another penalty. Again, up steps Boumsong. Good ol' Jean-Alain can't be accused of inconsistency, he promptly misses again.

Why is there nothing I can do to stop this?

My penalty take is my penalty taker, so if he is on the field then I want him taking my spot kicks.

Maybe in the tactics screen there should be an option to tick; "Let player on a hattrick take penalties", or something to that effect.

A "Let player on a hattrick take penalties if leading by x goals" button would probably be more useful.

Archived