Biggest Regret

Was wondering what was the one thing you still look back on today thinking "man i wish i'd done that differently." it could be turning down a job offer, selling a future world class player for peanuts, or spending way too much on a donkey.

For me it was turning down Rangers job after 6 long years with East Stirling cos i thought i still had work to do. Was sacked 2 months later.

Was wondering what was the one thing you still look back on today thinking "man i wish i'd done that differently." it could be turning down a job offer, selling a future world class player for peanuts, or spending way too much on a donkey.

For me it was turning down Rangers job after 6 long years with East Stirling cos i thought i still had work to do. Was sacked 2 months later.

Biggest regret on my current game is not signing Tom Ince. A regen striker who started at Leeds. I could of spent £1.5m and about £10k a week in wages, making him my record signing and highest earner. I pulled out of the deal as I wan't sure I needed him. 3 years on he's just scored 40+ goals in one season at Celtic, my scouts say worth about £25m, and I've only managed 32 goals in the EPL for my entire team icon_frown.gif.

I have a few.

1) Selling my 18 y/o N.Ireland U21 international and future star defender for 500K plus clauses to Sunderland when I was in League 2.

2) Not signing a 17/yo Irish winger for 14k when I had the chance. The same winger who has gone onto get capped by Ireland.

3) Releasing a player on a free who went onto to sign for a club in a higher league than me.

Mine was having an argument with the Unterhaching (Germman team) board over transfers after promotion into the second divsion(they wouldnt give me any money) and then leaving for a Serie C2/B team called Caserta who are favourites for relegation and now we are getting into debt.. Whilst Unterhaching are second in their division lol, damn!

Mine? I was running away with the title with Man United, having won it four years consecutively previously, and I spent the whole summer dismissing Barcelona's advances for Gerard Pique. In the end, I gave up, believing that he wasn't that crucial anyway, and took £20m plus their best central defender, a Swedish regen. We began losing games as soon as he was gone by some margin too. Finished second and decided to resign.

Here is mine...

Ok, got Canada to the playoff for the 2010 world cup! Paraguay were my opponents..

Away from home i played a balanced/attacking team hoping to either get a score draw or only be a goal behind at most. it worked for the first half, 1-0 down, so went defensive. I conceded 3 goals! SO... the home match, 4-0 down and having no players able to do that much damage i went on holiday for the game an popped off 2 make a cuppa tea.. Canada won 7-1 and qualified with a score of 7-5!! HOW!! Am i that bad a manager? I think im switching back to a 442 rather than the 41311 formation im using atm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Apocalypse:

Fool hardy trying to turn Middlesbrough into a force in the premiership when in real life and in-game they are just a stepping stone for players to move to better things and a premiership feeder club icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Buying Aguero for 63M on 07.

1 goal in 33 icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Buying Aguero for 63M on 07.

1 goal in 33 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, im glad i just pulled out of a move for him on 08 then :p

and my biggest regret is not offering Bojan enough to sign for me on a free so he chose AC Milan over me icon_frown.gif

he went back to Barca 3 years later for 63 mill -sobs-

Guest Steeno2007

mine was needing just a draw against chelsea 2 win a consecutive league title with liverpool played a defenive team and got beat 3-0 missed out on the title by a point icon_frown.gif

In the FA Cup Final we were drawing 0-0 after 116 mins and I decided to wait until 118 to bring on my 2 best penalty takers from the bench. On 118 mins I click to make the subs. During this time the play stopped 3 times (2 throws and 1 free kick). The referee chose to ignore the fact I wanted to make subs and blew up for a penalty shoot out. I went on to lose in sudden death 4-3.

(This was on FM07)

at celtic, had a regen named alexis arrieta who i'd signed for £8m from river plate when he was 17... at 20 every major club in europe wanted him but i'd managed to keep hold of him somehow after he had helped us win the champions league in 2013... so athletico offer £40m and the bloody idiots on the board accept without me being able to stop them... then barca enquire... i say give me £80m... and they come back with an offer of £80m! but the idiot arrieta only decides he wants to go to athletico doesn't he... i miss out on an extra £40m which would have confirmed celtic as a major european force... my regret is the fact that i got my hopes up by pointlessly demanding more than i would have got anyway, before being caught out by an annoying fault in the game

It was late, 5 o’clock in the morning, I was tired and in need for some sleep, but FM was still running…

In my first Premier League season with Solihull Moors (!), I signed 4 expensive non-EU players.

Due my approach I was really punked!

First I scout a bunch of players, later I check my shortlist the ones who are prepared to enter my team.

This is a rather a long list and in some semi-automatic behaviour (right click and do offer to the club, without much thinking) I try to sign them.

Before I was in the Premier League I had no satellite club in Europe, so when I tried to sign a guy from by instance Argentina with no international caps then the authorities blocked my transfer.

I started with Solihull Moors in 2007 and now it was 2014, my thinking and behaviour was so conditioned that Pavlov would be proud about me.

But then the disaster came… In July I received an European satellite club, so non-EU players with not enough international caps could be signed and loaned to my daughter club.

However, I forget this and while FM was informing me well (Something like ‘you can sign this player, but he can’t play for your team, you can loan him to a foreign satellite club…) I just click ‘YES’ sign him!!!

I did this with 3 other players and then I remarked a ‘special’ label I never noticed before…

It was the label making clear that I couldn’t use this player…

I spend almost my entire transfer money on players I couldn’t use. I tried to sell them desperately, but no one had some interest in them. icon_smile.gif

As a result I couldn’t hold my position in the Premier League and present times I’m back in the Coca Cola League. icon_smile.gif

What a stupid and costly mistake! icon_smile.gif

After getting promotion in my first season as Wolves, the board went and sold Andrew Keogh, my best player, behind my back for a paltry 7.5m after just 3 games in the prem.

I lost 20% to a sell-on clause and lost confidence in my board at the same time and never recovered.

The pain..........

In my current game it's not changing my tactics as Rangers when I'd gone 3-1 up against Celtic at Parkhead. My team were playing brilliantly in the first half, so I thought I'd leave things as they were. I foolishly ignored that little voice in my head saying "take off a striker and bring on a holding midfielder". Lost 4-3, although I did have a goal disallowed two minutes from time.

Aaah, so many regrets, so little time.

I guess two that stand out off the top of my head are:

1. Forgetting to name penalty taker(s) for my Newcastle Utd team so that 0-0 at Watford on the final day of the season and needing a win to take the title (Arsenal were winning elsewhere) we missed an 89th minute penalty because one of my centre-backs came up to take it. Later in the FA cup final (I had again forgotten to select a penalty taker) our winger was auto-selected instead and duly smashed home the penalty.

2. Charlton 1-2 Greenock Morton with ~7 minutes to go in the UEFA cup final in only Morton's ~3rd ever season in Europe. Not quite sure how I would define the regret, but something involving me not being more cautious...we lost 4-2 icon_frown.gif

Mine: I sold a young regen defender because he was quite slow. Hearts bought it from 1.5M so I agreed (I payed 30k for him 2 years ago). I didn't remember that he had a clause and last team received 45% of the budget.

Now he has been sold for 15M and he's the best defender in wales :____

I didn't bought a keeper from bradford because nobody wanted him (cardiff released him and york signed him on a free). Now, best keeper in wales 9M to sign him)

And lots of times I make 3 subs at the end of the match. often I draw or lose the match due to changing my tactics or late injuries. I always remind myself to keep a sub, but when I do that players don't get injuried icon_razz.gif

Ah yes, the other obvious regret I have had on a few occasions comes from my propensity not to have a goalkeeper on the bench, even when I have 7 subs. Mind you, my different clubs have tended to react differently to having an outfield player in goal. My FM06 Derby team generally rose to the occasion majestically and still won while my FM06 Whitley Bay team sunk to the occasion regularly and got caned.

They were also on the receiving end the other way when my Newcastle United team had their 'keeper stretchered off at Whitley Bay (both managed by me) in the Champions League QF. Whitley Bay promptly went 5-2 up from 1-2 down (also leading 0-1 from the away leg) before Newcastle, with a winger in goal for 70 minutes, went hell for leather in the second half and pulled off an astonishing 5-6 win...oh how Whitley Bay regretted their arrogance then!!

Quitting Hyde United to manage Man Utd (even though I'm a big fan), making a "backup" save before I changed jobs, then going over it accidentally with another save.

Got bored winning everything with Man Utd and wanted to resume my Hyde save, only for it to be gone icon_frown.gif

Not landing Akinfev on a free transfer because I offered him lower wage than what he asked. Had a few young keepers developing so didn't want to give such a big wage to someone who I was considering at 3rd choice behind Foster and Van der sar.

Other regret was selling Darren Fletcher for $22mill without any clauses! He's done well for Newcastle and value has increased but I wont get anything if he gets resold! Also Louis Saha I sold for $13m when should've asked for more. Made up for it by selling Ciprian Marica for $25m plus clauses that could get upto $63m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noob21:

^^ At least yours was Brown, mine was Ronaldo...

Yep, to Arsenal of all teams </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! I did a check on contracts just last night when I was playing as I was offering some new contracts to players before the January window. Noticed Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez were expiring in 2012 so signed them up on 5 year contracts. They didn't ask for a payraise so that made it easy. Sign-on fee was huge tho.

Also regret signing Ryan Sappleton because I read that IRL United were after him and that he was a wonderkid. He's been rubbish.

Archived