When do you hard tackle opposing teams' players?

In 'Opposition Instructions', do you always close down the wingers/wide midfielders?

When do you 'Show Onto Foot'?

And finally, do you ALWAYS fiddle about with 'Opposition Instructions'?

Thanks.

When the opposing player has low bravery or when they are liable to lose their temper (Check personality or backroom advice). Note also worth checking the ref to see how card happy he is.

In 'Opposition Instructions', do you always close down the wingers/wide midfielders?

Sometimes, but you need to balance getting dragged out of position or the winger skipping past your defender with the risk of breaking up an opposition attack.

I show all forwards & MCs onto their weaker foot where there is a significant difference. Wingers are a different story, consider how dangerous they are inside or outside along with the stengths of the forwards. It may be better to push them wide even if its their stronger foot.

Yes

Hard Tackle: when the referee is lenient AND an oppo player is either low on bravery, low on condition, low on morale and/or on a yellow card.

Close down: I used to but in this save my assman recommends tight marking forward, wide and midfield players - I follow him and we do well out of it.

Show onto foot: I go for the global habit of putting ALL the oppo squad onto 'show onto weaker foot' - I'd say in the lower leagues at least it is 95% either harmless or effective.

OIs: Yes, always before a match and frequently during a match.

Wide Players/Wingers - Always show onto weaker foot and hard tackle. I like to force them inside as I play with an anchor man. If for some reason, the opposition has inside forwards, i'd rather they go on the outside with their weaker foot. Close down only if they have good shooting attributes.

AM - Tight marking, close down, hard tackling and weaker foot. My anchor man is going to stick to him like glue whenever he drops in the hole.

MC - Weaker foot always. Tight marking never. Close down and and hard tackling on MC's with good passing, creativity and/or long shots.

DM - Close down always. I don't want to give them space to be an effective pivot. Against good teams away, I'd have my deep lying forward man-marking him as well.

DR/DL - If they have good wing back attributes, e.g. Evra, Dani Alves, etc, always show on weaker foot. I don't want them providing too many overlapping runs and crosses.

I never use OI, except in a few cases:

1. When the opposition play a 4-5-1 defensive tactic with one man up front who would need to do everything himself in a fantastic fashion in order for their team to create anything dangerous at all... and so he does! I then OI everything to the max.

2. When one of their guys injure/hurt more than one of my players, I OI everything to the max as well, and in addition I set the nearby players to tackle hard.

Good advices above.

Show onto foot looks like interesting and powerful instruction and managers should try to find ways to use it to full potential every single match. Players in FM tend to pass to a side where they have better foot i.e, right-footed player passes more often to right side, left-footed to left side. This, in theory, can be used to manipulate oponnents passing to isolate dangerous player from receiveng the ball in the first place. Also this instruction generally force oponnents to lose posession more often due to bad passes with weaker foot.

Its a bit tedious to set up instructions every match but in the end it should pay off. Gonna test it more in my save.

Good advices above.

Show onto foot looks like interesting and powerful instruction and managers should try to find ways to use it to full potential every single match. Players in FM tend to pass to a side where they have better foot i.e, right-footed player passes more often to right side, left-footed to left side. This, in theory, can be used to manipulate oponnents passing to isolate dangerous player from receiveng the ball in the first place. Also this instruction generally force oponnents to lose posession more often due to bad passes with weaker foot.

Its a bit tedious to set up instructions every match but in the end it should pay off. Gonna test it more in my save.

You could save yourself a lot of trouble just pushing everyone to Weaker Foot. Even Either-footed players have a "weaker foot".

You could save yourself a lot of trouble just pushing everyone to Weaker Foot. Even Either-footed players have a "weaker foot".

Not quite that easy though is it.

A player with a strong/very strong combo - Do you really want him shown onto his strong foot in a shooting position?

I have my DMC closing down all over the pitch (ie high) and his tackling on hard all the time, although he must have positioning, decisions & tackling at 15 or higher and aggression lower than that. I don't really use the 'tackling hard' within Opposition Instructions unless my Ass.Man insists upon it...Or it's Nani/Lennon/Walcott or someone else you can rattle easily and is a danger on the wing. :)

I find it breaks up attacks, destroys morale in those weaker-minded opposition players and helps control the midfield.

It also makes sense to have a decent back-up DMC for when the suspensions kick-in.

Wouldn't that still be better than his Very Strong foot?

Personally I think not.

If its a striker/MC then I feel its better for the defenders to make their own choice in the moment so to speak rather than always trying to show them the same direction leaving more space for a shot.

Wingers/wider players are completely different story as showing them outside onto their "Very Strong" foot can push them away from a shooting position but it does put them in a crossing position.

Thanks.

I do this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/269484-Reactive-Positional-OIs-A-Guide

i do rarely use these options. and see what happens in game before tinkering, i do use force onto other foot etc when i am facing particular players to keep them quiet, but other then that my defenders do thier jobs with no help. if the team does what i want with no tinkering then great, and when they do that, they are immence, even though i want to know why my strikers go down the wing in a 4-4-2 when they have the ball :/

Sometimes tight marking on a particularly dangerous player (especially Xavi-type players).

I close down players with low Composure and dangerous oppo. players who aren't fast.

Hard tackling on players with low Balance and/or Bravery.

Show players onto weaker foot if he has a weak foot.

If the opposition have a CB who is less composed and/or has worse Passing and Technique than the other I close him down while tight marking the other one. I only do this when using two strikers.

I don't use any OIs. But as soon as the first goal is scored in the match, either way, I put everyone on hard tackling.

If I've got the first goal, then players put the boot in a little bit more to prevent a quick response. If the opposition have scored, then players are more aggressive in the tackle and it gives me more of a chance to get a goal.

Usually take it off if I score a second, or if my players start racking up yellows.

I use both hard tackling and the "Hassle Opponents" shout by default- you've gotta let the opposition know you're there from the very first minute, especially since there are so many early goals. Subbing off players on yellow cards at half-time is normal. If we start to get too many towards the 60-65 minute mark, I might ease it up a bit.

I don't tinker with opposition instructions much- if the team have a striker who is clearly scoring all of their goals, he'll probably get a "Weaker Foot" instruction, but otherwise it's more likely I'll change our formation to deal with him rather than issue specific instructions.

I've always used hard tackling on flair/good players, kick em up and down the park and hopefully injure them.

Once in a network game I shut out C. Ronaldo (who my mate was using to epic effect) when he was a right forward by "closing down - never" and "showing onto stronger foot". My defenders just let him play it wide and cross it in constantly, which they dealt with. Worked a treat

Archived