Low Scoring Games

I am just wondering if anyone else is having really low scoring seasons.

My last two seasons I have had by far the lowest scoring games, the AI games seem to be full of action, yet mine always seem to have a max of 3 goals in them (and that's a high scoring game).

I have just won the league by scoring 50 league goals :-(. No matter how attacking I go, it just doesn't seem to help.

Is anyone else having this issue?

• SI Staff

Out of interest what tactic/formation are you playing? - I'm usually the opposite myself, I play a 4-4-2 attacking most of the time with attacking mentality, short passing, hard tackling and the offside trap (everything else off) .... I envision myself as Kevin Keegan in his hey day, we might not always win but the supporters go home happy and there are definitely goals scored :D

Hi Marc,

I usually play a 4-1-3-2 formation. Wing-back attacking the wings, 2 advanced playmakers, a deep lying playmaker and a cm. which works well. I also dabble with an attacking 4-2-2-2 formation with wingers, neither seem to help me score goals. I have lots of shots but don't seem to be having much luck scoring at the moment :-(.

I'm playing similarly but not quite the same as Marc, a 4-4-2 attacking, balanced mentality as default but sometimes adjusting it according to how games are going, committed tackling, mixed passing, hard tackling, no offside trap and am scoring freely.

I used 4-1-1-3-1, 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1. I used attacking mentality, hard tackling and short passing.

I am playing man city and got C Ronaldo, Messi, Neymer, Ganso, Arguero, Dezko, Tevez and Y Toure, Nasri and D silva. Even with that kind of squad, I'm having trouble scoring as well, getting lots of 1-0 or 0-0 draw even against just promoted team or mid table team. I don't see much tinkering in the tactics either aside from switching formation, etc...

• SI Staff
I used 4-1-1-3-1, 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1. I used attacking mentality, hard tackling and short passing.

I am playing man city and got C Ronaldo, Messi, Neymer, Ganso, Arguero, Dezko, Tevez and Y Toure, Nasri and D silva. Even with that kind of squad, I'm having trouble scoring as well, getting lots of 1-0 or 0-0 draw even against just promoted team or mid table team. I don't see much tinkering in the tactics either aside from switching formation, etc...

If you're playing as a big team against a smaller one who are being very defensive then you have two choices really - either try and batter them down through brute force ... or try and lure them out.

To 'lure them out' switch down the mentality a notch now and again so that you aren't pushing up so much, play the ball around further back a little more perhaps try switching to 'counter attack' a bit .... basically try and encourage them out of their defensive hunkering a little ... then attack quickly and shove the ball in the back of the net :D

I've had no problems with high scoring matches, I'm playing as FC Halifax, and have just got them into League 2, last season while in the Blue Square Premier we had one player who scored 83 goals in 52 matches. And two more that got 18 goals each.

So yeah, no worries about goal scoring in this version of the game.

Archived