Your Best Marquee Signing?

biggest was Jésus Navas in 2011 for 40 mil,my only signing as Man Utd,

was playing against my brother,he got injured in his 3th match for 4 months,and just when he was coming back he got injured for another 2 months,my brother however bought Neymar,Hazard,Dzeko,David Luiz,Phil Jones and i also think he went for Ganso on the winter as Chelsea and was still left behind by 5 points :D.

best was probably neymar for 29 mil iirc

Signed Micah Richards for Aberdeen on FM11. Too bad I have no idea how to access my old account. Had to search for a bit before I found the old Aberdeen thread in the Good Team thread.

Still, him and Matej Delac were amazing players to have at Aberdeen. IIRC Richards was still an England regular at Aberdeen.

Not going for marquee players this time around on FM12. Trying to be more realistic though paying Falkirk almost £2m for a regen seems a bit unrealistic. Oh well.

Sorry, to sum up, Micah Richards at Aberdeen in FM11. Proud of that one.

EDIT: Sorry, I know you asked for FM2012, just re-read your opening post. Plus just remembered I signed Hatem Ben Arfa for Aberdeen on the same game for free then sold him to FC Bayern for more than £10m. Sorry Micah but you've been ousted.

The mighty Pablo Counago for Burton in League 2. Finished the season with 22 goals and 26 assists and helped us win the league.

If a free transfer can be a marquee signing!

Yep, I signed him as well...for Chelmsford City in the BSS. He scored 28 goals, and 31 assists. Incredible.

It was a particularly difficult decision to sign him though...as I'm a Norwich fan and I hate him IRL!

After 6 premier leagues in a row with Everton and the highest transfer fee being 9.75m for Alex Sandro, I've just signed Neymar for 29m in 2017. :D

I thought I was finally entitled to at least 1 big name signing after a net spend of -92m in the previous season.

He's been pretty good so far, to be fair to him.

Jack Wilshere to Sunderland - €32m

Peter Cech to Sunderland - FREE (34 too :D)

There were a few others. Spent €130m at sunderland in 1st transfer window. Got them to champs league position. Offered job at Arsenal.

2 seasons later, sunderland fighting relegation. I should have stayed. Have that save still there might go back to it :D

For Panathinaikos, it's probably Pablo Aimar. Got him on a free, but he's 33 now. It hasn't worked out. He doesn't fit the formation I play and he's been crap as one of a central midfield three. Can't get off the bench most of the time. I only gave him a one year contract so I'll let him go next summer. Shame, though. I held out high hopes.

Regens have been my biggest signing on FM so far, but from the real players I would say a fully developed Radja Nainggolan (£15.5m) or Sokratis Papastathopolous (£20m) for Hoffenheim.

Yep, I signed him as well...for Chelmsford City in the BSS. He scored 28 goals, and 31 assists. Incredible.

It was a particularly difficult decision to sign him though...as I'm a Norwich fan and I hate him IRL!

Not too shabby lol. I'm about to find out if he can still hack League 1 at nearly 33. Fingers crossed because I think we'll be in a world of trouble if he can't!!

Guest narekmelik

I got Robert Pires to return to FC Metz. I was expecting him to stay on the bench and play a few matches throughout the season but Robert had a stunning season with ten goals and eighteen assists. Signed him on a free transfer as well. However, he was not as good in the second season and I had to let him go as his salary was pretty high.

Got Yaya Sanogo on a Bosman free in the 2nd season for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. He signed the contract whilst I was still a League One side too! Tore the Championship apart with 26 goals and 13 assists and is currently the Premier League's top scorer with 14 goals in 18 games.

Quinton Fortune. He was rubbish though. Have now signed him as a player, then twice as a coach.

I brought him in on a free with Fleetwood in the BSP; the guy was utter garbage. Failed to notch anything above a 6.7rating whilst others around where excelling. Got rid of him for around £1k come January and the next window.

Wouldn't reaaally call him a 'marquee' sigining to be honest. Was never that great at his peak. His ability to warm Man United's bench is only to be rivalled by the abilities of Michael Owen at the moment.

I brought him in on a free with Fleetwood in the BSP; the guy was utter garbage. Failed to notch anything above a 6.7rating whilst others around where excelling. Got rid of him for around £1k come January and the next window.

Wouldn't reaaally call him a 'marquee' sigining to be honest. Was never that great at his peak. His ability to warm Man United's bench is only to be rivalled by the abilities of Michael Owen at the moment.

Same, got injured in his first game. Came back four months later and he was utterly useless. Got on the bench 2 or 3 times in the last 4 months of the season and waved goodbye at the end.

What use is it being able to play in lots of positions if you are useless in all of them.

I should add that my team won League 2 with a record points total and didn't lose a single game in the league, so to be so bad really is quite an achievement!

Same, got injured in his first game. Came back four months later and he was utterly useless. Got on the bench 2 or 3 times in the last 4 months of the season and waved goodbye at the end.

What use is it being able to play in lots of positions if you are useless in all of them.

I should add that my team won League 2 with a record points total and didn't lose a single game in the league, so to be so bad really is quite an achievement!

Quite a similar story here if I recall. Poor old Quinton was injured for a good part, and had terrible fitness - could barely play 60mins, let alone twice in a week. The Fleetwood side eventually ran away with BSP, not that Fortune played much part - all the hard work was done after January. Coincidence?

I've never really been one for signing name players (or spending huge wodges of money), although I do remember one exception which was a "no chance" punt at the time and totally shocked me when he agreed. As you'll see, we're going back a fair few years here- he'd just blown up big in real life, but was still sitting in the reserves on the game.

League One Gillingham signed an 18-year-old French kid from Arsenal for £1m- some guy named Nicolas Anelka. Did a pretty decent job for us, think he got something like 40 goals in 30 games the following season, before obviously his wage demands made keeping hold of him a total impossibility.

Archived