Just Another Journeyman...

JPMarks

journeyman [jur-nee-muhn]

1. any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer.

1583o.png

MONTROSE F.C. - Season 1 - 2011/12

Not experienced, certainly not competent... routine worker? Not exactly sure. Anyway, this is my first attempt at a "career update" topic, and what better way to fail miserably than with a journeyman-style career, starting deep at the lowest playable league in Sctoland, at the helm of relegation-fighter Montrose F.C.! No initial objectives, let's just see how things play out.

009__034__club_grounds__Montrose_Links_Park_Stadium_2__1285932074_standard.jpg

Fish-eye lens, helping small stadiums seem much bigger, since 1887.

1583o.png

MONTROSE F.C. | SFL 3rd Division - 2011/12

League Table | Standings Graph | Squad Stats | Finances | Transfers

Coming in to this first season in Scotland, and it being my debut in scottish football, on one hand I really didn't know what to expect from my oponents, but on the other hand I was confident on my ability to build a strong initial lineup of 11 players. After a dismal start of the season, losing the vast majority of the friendlies, the team managed to mantain an unbeaten streak of 9 games, with only 2 draws, which really set the tone for the rest of the season. As you can see from the standings graph we never lost our lead, despite some reaction from Queen's Park, and took home the silverware, also conquering the much deserved promotion to the 2nd Division.

Regarding the cups, we were eliminated in the 1st round of the Challenge Cup against Cowdenbeath, and managed to do the same on the League Cup, but this time against Partick Thistle, Second and First Division teams. The only cup where we left our mark, was the Scottish Cup, by taking the gable-endies up to the 4th round, and losing against Clyde, a game we really should have won.

Key Players

Trent McClenahan - With an average rating of 7.20, this man was an absolute beast for Montrose. As my tactical approach relies heavily on the flanks, the right and left defender must be able to mantain the balance between offensive and defensive work, with an average of 4.56 tackles p/game, this aussie played his role perfectly!

Robertino Rafaela - I like to play with a high defensive line, this means having tall and fast center-backs, and Rafaela is just that. While managing to be an absolute wall at the back, he still managed to score 7 decisive goals and grab 5 MoM awards!

James Cronesberry - This kid is simply amazing! 17 assists, 8 goals and only 21 years old, what more can I say!?

Yohan Guichard - Last but certainly not least, comes Guichard, I won't bother to describe him because you all know him pretty well, I'll just leave you with this number: 10 goals!

Next Season

• Bring some youth squad players to the first team.
  • Complete staff overhaul.
  • Improve results on all the cups.
  • Mid-table position in the league.

Thats a good start - what leagues do you loaded up?

England (BSP and above), France (Ligue 2 and above), Germany (2. Bundesliga and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Netherlands (Jupiler League and above), Portugal (2nd League and above), Scotland (3rd div. and above) and Spain (Adelante and above).

1583o.png

MONTROSE F.C. | Youth Report - 2012/13

Scottish U-19's League | Scottish U-19's Cup

Rather then having a career merely focused on the senior squad, I also want to get involved with my youth squad, and the first step in doing that, is to get a scout network going. That being said, Montrose isn't exactly an attractive club to come work for, so I had to do with the guys: Rui Tavares, Kevin Kane, Mark O'Neill and Steven Cochrane. At this level my goal is to get the widest network possible, so scouting abilities aren't really what I'm looking for in these guys.

Now that the new staff is introduced, let's talk about the players, some of them a result of scouting assignments, others a result of my own research:

James Knowles - Despite signing for Montrose last season, Knowles spent a lot of time injured so I figured he deserved to be mentioned. He's a former Blackburn player, and my scouts rate him as having the potential to be a good player. Currently plays with the seniors.

Victor Zapata-Caicedo - Victor came to Montrose after being let go at Tottenham, and at 18 years of age he already plays in the senior squad! Rated as a good First Division striker.

Sylvain Torchy - I'm still wondering why this kid was dropped from Braga, but I'm even more surprised at being able to sign him. Currently playing for the U19's, but I'm planning on giving him some match time with the big boys!

These last two players are a product of my youth program:

Greig Ross

Martin Reid

What can I say, the kids are alright!

Archived