Steam possibly hacked...

The Steam forums have been down for most of the day and Eurogamer is now saying(and posting pictures)that Steam has been hacked.

As everyone with FM2012 has a Steam account I thought a warning should be posted although I am unsure if this is the right section.

Best to have a read of the article and take safety measures if your forum account match's your Steam account(a silly thing to do but some people do this)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-07-why-are-the-steam-forums-offline

Again sorry if this in not in the right place.

That is why I said " take safety measures if your forum account match's your Steam account"..as in you use the same username and password(some people do this so it is easy to remember but a stupid thing to do)

And it is more than speculation if you search,people have been receiving e-mails from the hacker with the same message they left on the Steam forum.

http://www.inquisitr.com/157264/steam-forums-hacked/

From what I heard, the account of one of the admin's (jmccaskey) on the board has been hacked (which means they somehow managed to get his password), so that would mean they didn't get any personal information on anyone (so no passwords anyway). And its indeed seperate from the Steam client. This hasn't been confirmed though, so no way to be certain.

Yeah it will more than likely be something like that but as I said and the articles say if you do use the same username/password for both places it would be better to change your Steam account password now...if for no other reason than it is stupid to have the same information on both places.

1. Steam forums have separate accounts.

2. Steam accounts runs on a completely different platform, making it much harder to hack into a real Steam account.

3. Steam Guard basically prevents any stolen accounts, so they won't get through that for sure.

4. Gabe Newell, the head of Valve, gave out his Steam account's user/pass to everybody and offered a reward to whoever got into it. Nobody did.

Please don't bash Valve for this. They did the best they could, taking the forum down a mere ten minutes after it was hacked. (I'm a regular poster on the Steam forums and I witnessed such.)

But then, if people do what steam say originally (and follow the advice given) (yes I know im dreaming) and use different logons for:

Steam Client

Steam Forums

Steam Support

Then actually if the forums are hacked you have nothing to worry about. Steam advise on the support certainly to make sure your account details differ to the Client logon...

As others have said to some this is common sense for any online setup to use different credentials for the accounts, but for some may not be so much common sense.

Oof. Glad I use paypal for payment.

Well it is not only the credit card problem but if your account is hacked it can be a real pain to get it back,In the time you wait to get it back it means you can not play any games attached to your account,Also if you play on-line games and the hacker has used cheats you can be banned(VAC servers)from playing on-line and this ban can not be reversed even if your account was stolen..so you could lose more than just your playing time and hassle of getting your account back.

Isn't it just safer anyway to keep Steam off-line for FM? I'd rather read on the forum that an update is out and check the changes before deciding whether to download it. I don't bother with achievements and I dont play other games on Steam. I'm sure there are many like me so just avoid the risk by going off-line.

1. Steam forums have separate accounts.

2. Steam accounts runs on a completely different platform, making it much harder to hack into a real Steam account.

3. Steam Guard basically prevents any stolen accounts, so they won't get through that for sure.

4. Gabe Newell, the head of Valve, gave out his Steam account's user/pass to everybody and offered a reward to whoever got into it. Nobody did.

Please don't bash Valve for this. They did the best they could, taking the forum down a mere ten minutes after it was hacked. (I'm a regular poster on the Steam forums and I witnessed such.)

As GuitarMan has said there are people that pay no attention to warnings and no-one in this post is bashing Valve,have not seen a single post even mentioning Valve or bashing Steam.

I am also a regular poster over at the official forums and love Steam,I very rarely buy a disc these days as Steam is just so simple and has some great sales.

There are people though that do not value there account as much as I do and use the same details for there forum account as well as there Steam account....hell these days people are still using "password" as there password....

This thread was just a warning and in noway is a hate thread against Steam...

Unless hackers are able to get into your email and figure out the user/pass of your Steam account, you won't be hacked unless they somehow get into the whole Steam database, which is nearly impossible. There is no reason at all why this should affect you. This is what I mean by Steam Guard, took this pic myself. Make sure yours is enabled :).

steamguard.jpg

As GuitarMan has said there are people that pay no attention to warnings and no-one in this post is bashing Valve,have not seen a single post even mentioning Valve.

I am also a regular poster over at the official forums and love Steam,I very rarely buy a disc these days as Steam is just so simple and has some great sales.

There are people though that do not value there account as much as I do and use the same details for there forum account as well as there Steam account....hell these days people are still using "password" as there password....

This thread was just a warning and in noway is a hate thread against Steam...

I know nobody has at the moment, I'm just saying it for the future, as I know a few people on this forum who despise Steam and love to use every little thing to their advantage ;).

Also Dune if you read what I wrote earlier not everyone uses Steamguard and I advised them to read the link I posted so they could enable it...also If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?

Also Dune if you read what I wrote earlier not everyone uses Steamguard and I advised them to read the link I posted so they could enable it...also If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?

In that case I'd also recommend keepass or LastPass.

You are unfortunately right. Steam has been hacked before if I recollect correctly. Again though, maybe their Servers fell over for whatever reason or one bad apple has made a million other apples suffer.

Nitpicking

I'd argue every piece of software out there can be compromised in some way... Just because it hasn't been reported doesn't mean it hasn't been compromised.

This is pretty much a publicity stunt on par with claims like: http://enigma-ds.net/Enigma-DS-2011/Challenge.html - you don't break software by offering a reward.

I do agree that you are relatively safe as long as you have separate login details for Steam and its forums... In practice, however, that percentage is stupidly low, because most people are idiots. :-/

Nitpicking

I'd argue every piece of software out there can be compromised in some way... Just because it hasn't been reported doesn't mean it hasn't been compromised.

It has been reported,as I said all the person needs is your email password which again comes down to user failure...I wonder how many people reading this thread are saying "crap I always use the same password so it is easy to remember for every site I visit"?

Starting to think this is more than just some mod's account getting hacked,36 hours now and still down.

This must be Steam and Valve's worst nightmare,there forums have been down when some of the biggest games of the year are either releasing or are set to release.

MW3 came out Today and in 2 days time Skyrim is releasing.

A lot of people will have the same password for the forums as their steam account.

If the hackers got their hands on the forum passwords, they are going to get thousands of steam accounts if only 1% of people use the same password.

Makes me even more glad I will never install steam.

I wonder if they will actually help people this time or tell them its their own fault they were hacked and they wont get their games back. :D

A lot of people will have the same password for the forums as their steam account.

If the hackers got their hands on the forum passwords, they are going to get thousands of steam accounts if only 1% of people use the same password.

Makes me even more glad I will never install steam.

I wonder if they will actually help people this time or tell them its their own fault they were hacked and they wont get their games back. :D

There is a beautiful thing called Steam Guard that is automatically activated when you create an account and will prevent such. ;)

There is a beautiful thing called Steam Guard that is automatically activated when you create an account and will prevent such. ;)

You keep posting that but as I said "If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?"

Which in turn makes Steamguard useless.

You keep posting that but as I said "If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?"

Which in turn makes Steamguard useless.

He said nothing about email.

If they "have" hacked the system then they have your email address....that is just common sense,then if you use the same password for your email account they can then get your emails as they have the address and password,then when Steamguard sends the email to confirm you have changed IP's they will get that email and your account.

If they "have" hacked the system then they have your email address....that is just common sense,then if you use the same password for your email account they can then get your emails as they have the address and password,then when Steamguard sends the email to confirm you have changed IP's they will get that email and your account.

But not all of them would have the same password, and not all hackers would waste the time doing all that.

That is why no-one has said "everyone" is at risk,only the people that use the same password for everything...believe me there are quite a few,also a Steam account can be worth a lot of money on the market!..so yes any hacker that can hack Steam and get account details WILL go to the trouble.

That is why no-one has said "everyone" is at risk,only the people that use the same password for everything...believe me there are quite a few,also a Steam account can be worth a lot of money on the market!..so yes any hacker that can hack Steam and get account details WILL go to the trouble.

I was quoting someone who said.

Not for email and such. If he made it clear he was speaking about all passwords, I wouldn't disagree with him.

I was quoting someone who said.

Not for email and such. If he made it clear he was speaking about all passwords, I wouldn't disagree with him.

Yeah we can go in circle's all night but as I said before "If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?"

Yeah we can go in circle's all night but as I said before "If someone is as stupid to use the same password for both the forum and Steam account what makes you think they are not stupid enough to use the same password for there email account?"

I never said they weren't, but like I said, he doesn't make the situation clear.

Also. Why does that make you glad you don't install Steam philly? Do you use the same passwords even though you know what can happen if one gets hacked?

Starting to think this is more than just some mod's account getting hacked,36 hours now and still down.

This must be Steam and Valve's worst nightmare,there forums have been down when some of the biggest games of the year are either releasing or are set to release.

MW3 came out Today and in 2 days time Skyrim is releasing.

Its more likely a case of better safe than sorry. They arent going to bring it back up until they know how it was breached, what info (if any) has been compromised, and if they are sure they can prevent it

Its more likely a case of better safe than sorry. They arent going to bring it back up until they know how it was breached, what info (if any) has been compromised, and if they are sure they can prevent it

That is why I am starting to think it is more than just a mod's account that has been hacked,If a mods account is hacked he can do certain things on a site but he has no access to private information.

You have to ask the question if it was a mod's account then why has it taken over 36 hours to get the site back up?

There has to be more to it than this,especially with the releases that are happening at this time.

I am sure Valve are working around the clock to sort this but if a mods account was hacked the system would be up and running a couple of hours later.

That is why I am starting to think it is more than just a mod's account that has been hacked,If a mods account is hacked he can do certain things on a site but he has no access to private information.

You have to ask the question if it was a mod's account then why has it taken over 36 hours to get the site back up?

There has to be more to it than this,especially with the releases that are happening at this time.

I am sure Valve are working around the clock to sort this but if a mods account was hacked the system would be up and running a couple of hours later.

I'm assuming the mod is adamant its not some error/cause on his part. Which presents the more sinister options.

But given the huge games coming out, i wouldnt be surprised if it was a deliberate attack

I'm assuming the mod is adamant its not some error/cause on his part. Which presents the more sinister options.

But given the huge games coming out, i wouldnt be surprised if it was a deliberate attack

Well that is also the strange part..

The site that was advertised on Steam after the attack quickly moved to say it was not them and then closed there site saying it was closed and had no part in the hack on Steam.

All very strange and this time to bring the site back up just add's to it.

They must have had a few things planned for the release of Skyrim..

No matter though...sorry FM fans(friends)...Skyrim is only 2 Days away and almost everything else will seem trivial come then ;)

Hope the forums are up by then though :)

Well that is also the strange part..

The site that was advertised on Steam after the attack quickly moved to say it was not them and then closed there site saying it was closed and had no part in the hack on Steam.

All very strange and this time to bring the site back up just add's to it.

They must have had a few things planned for the release of Skyrim..

No matter though...sorry FM fans(friends)...Skyrim is only 2 Days away and almost everything else will seem trivial come then ;)

Hope the forums are up by then though :)

How bizarre..

Skyrim Launch, if people though this site was busy on release, thats a whole new level. They'll be working flat out to get the forums back up for that.

I still need to finish Oblivion...

vBulletin doesn't work like that... Moderators sometimes have access to user profiles to change things like offensive signatures, and I believe email addresses show up there.

That said, the Eurogamer screenshot suggests a lot more than a moderator account has been compromised, as without external tools, the moderator control panel doesn't have the ability to modify the front page.

It doesn't look like they've compromised anything else, but you never know.

I would have thought if there was serious concern about private data being stolen we would have had an email from Valve recommending we change any passwords associated to steam.
It took Sony 9 days to send out emails after PSN was hacked.

It took Sony 9 days to send out emails after PSN was hacked.

Really?? Thats pretty bad actually, i would have thought they would have got in touch with people quicker than that, i dont have a PS3 so i fortunately was not affected by it, still a bit shocking to hear.

Archived