+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One Man, One Dream and Five Champions Leagues

Reserves

I imagine that would help.

Youth Team

16 red cards? That's quite an impressive record!

Amateur

It's more than I've had in my managerial career to date onwards and upwards though

Amateur

I have no idea why or how this has happened - but for some reason I'm in the North American Champions League preliminary round to face AD Isidro Metapan from El Salvador....... I didn't even do well last season

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Azeryk` View Post
    I have no idea why or how this has happened - but for some reason I'm in the North American Champions League preliminary round to face AD Isidro Metapan from El Salvador....... I didn't even do well last season
    I guess it depends on how well you did in the playoffs...

Amateur

Lost in the Q-finals in the open season and lost in the S-finals in the close season. Hopefully this could give me the money to better compete next season.

Amateur

Won 8-1 on agg.

Group stage I will face:

Arabe Unido (Panama)
    Comunicaciones (Guatemala)
    New York (USA)

Top 2 go through so am expecting to go through at least

All 4 Mexican teams in the North American CL reached the S-Finals of the close season so I guess that explains how I got through.
    Last edited by Azeryk`; 20-11-2011 at 22:04.

Amateur

Season 14 - Open Season

For the new season I tweaked the tactics and made a couple of new signings who would sit on the bench to give me more depth; so I was hoping to be more comfortably in the top 8 and not scrapping in like last season. The first couple of games went well with some big wins and then drastically went downhill until we had hit 10th in the league. My players were good enough so it had to be my new tactics, so back to 4-4-2 we went and things improved. We had no chance of catching top spot America (MEX) who dominated the league, but in the Mexican league the top 8 go into a knock-out system so I still had a chance. We rose to 4th - although three points separated us from 8th so it was close.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the Q-Finals we faced Monterrey and after two close matches squeezed through 4-3, then came Santos Laguna and again just made it through 5-4. By this stage I was happy with our performance and with us facing America (MEX) in the two legged final I wasn't expecting to win. We won the home leg 2-0 to give us hope and they attacked us with everything in the away leg and they won that match but only by one goal 2-3 so I won

One of the main reasons we won was Fernando 9see below) he was on top form for the whole open season. Strange considering that he was sent out on loan last season before I joined and without a recall clause. If he stays fit for the rest of the season then the North American CL would be a possibility.

Youth Team

Great job winning the title, hope you can add the NACL to that too

Part-Timer

21 goals in 23 appearances would certainly help! Congratulations on the League title

Third Team

Congrats on the title win and the best of luck in the NACL in which Fernando could be a big help in winning it

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    Great job winning the title, hope you can add the NACL to that too
    Quote Originally Posted by abulezz View Post
    21 goals in 23 appearances would certainly help! Congratulations on the League title
    Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    Congrats on the title win and the best of luck in the NACL in which Fernando could be a big help in winning it
    Thanks for the comments,

The NACL will depend on luck of the draw I think. All four Mexican sides topped their groups with ease and have avoided each other in the Q-Finals (I face Seattle).

After 4 league games we find ourselves 13th in the league - ooops

Youth Team

Well done on a successful league campaign

Having a prolific striker makes things that little bit easier though ;)

Reserves

Excellent improvement

Amateur

OK, guys, whilst I have time to plan this, where next? South Africa or somewhere in Asia?

Third Team

If you like a real challenge then go to somewhere in Asia as most leagues have a foreigner limit on them,maybe Indonesia as I think that may actually be one of the most difficult to have a club win the Asian CL!

Amateur

Unlucky m8 I had the same problem with Tamworth couldnt get any players in on free tranfer because the wage budget was already over so I ended up finishing 10th . But when I got sum decent players in the next season I won the league with ease, its hard when nobody wants to cum either gonna be a long season m8 gl.

Amateur

Season 14 - Close Season
    With how well the first part of the season went I had high hopes for the second half. I was able to fend off the bigger clubs and retain all of my players and with better tactics we were sure to do well. Except that never happened, we never got a run of wins together in the league and infact lost 6/17 games. We played so bad that at one stage we went down to 15th and only reached the top 8 after the final game of the regular season. In the Q-finals of the knock outs we faced Atlas and after a large home win got through with ease and faced Chivas in the S-Finals. We lost 0-1 at home and could only manage a 1-1 draw away knocking us out. Chivas went on to win the final against America (MEX) on penalties.

The North American Champions League was my main goal and as I posted above the group stage was easy. We faced Seattle in the Q-finals and went through easy enough and then we went into the S-Final draw which had four Mexican sides - I guess I picked the easier nation to manage in. We were drawn against Pumas and had a nervy 2-2 draw in the first leg before getting a 2-0 win the second leg. The final was against Atlas, the same club we were facing in the close season Q-finals whcih meant we faced them 4 times in less than 2-weeks. We lost 1-2 in the away leg and used our home advantage to good effect winning 5-0 and getting the CL.

It was very pleasing to get the CL win, I've not been enjoying the time in Mexico and for the first time in the game will be pleased to be leaving a club. The Mexican league is by far the strongest in North America, I would have hated to have played in the MLS as it would have been very frustrating facing much stronger sides. Also there is very little different in the quality of the Mexican league clubs players. America (MEX) dominated the open season by far and then struggled like mad in the close season; and the same happened with me too. It seems that luck determines finishing top 8 or not and which Mexican side wins the CL or not. I really don't think any club here could ever retain a league or CL title.

And they only gave me manager of the season runner up - these seems to be a trend

Code:
    Season     Team                League                       Position    Achievements
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Club:

2011/12    Boston United       English Blue Square North    1st         Division Champions
    2012/13    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
    2013/14    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
    2014/15    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  1st         FA Trophy Winners
    2015/16    Burnley             English Championship         1st         Division Champions
    2016/17    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         League Cup Winners
    2017/18    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         FA Cup Winners
    2018/19    Arsenal             English Premier League       2nd         Champions League, FA Cup & Community Shield Winners
    2019/20    Arsenal             English Premier League       1st         League, Champions League, World Club Cup & Community Shield Winners
    2021       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division     1st         League Champions
    2022       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division     1st         League & Copa Libertadores Champions
    2023       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division                 Copa Libertadores & State Champions
    2023/24    Puebla              Mexican First Division       5th/7th
    2024/25    Puebla              Mexican First Division       4th/7th     Champions League & Open Season Champions
    It will be off to Asia for me, although having to go to work tomorrow will give me plenty of time to decide which nation I will manage in, am leaning towards Australia as I've never managed there yet most people here seem to have. Although feel free to post an opinion.
    Last edited by Azeryk`; 21-11-2011 at 22:32.

Youth Team

Good job getting it done quickly again! Think you may be heading for a record in terms of completing the five continental titles in a short space of time.

Personally I'd have gone for the African one first then bed in for a real challenge in Asia - take someone from Singapore or India to the continental championship.

Will it be save over when you've won all 5 incidentally? Any other goals at all?

Amateur

I picked Asia and I have done South Africa before and found that quite hard so thought that would be the longest of the two remaining CLs. Although after looking at the Asian CL past winners I think that could be just as hard as most winners are from unplayable leagues.

I will continue with the same save until I get bored and go out and buy Skyrim. But until then I'm not really sure what challenge to do afterwards. I could take over Tottenham (my supported team) or Exeter (my local side).

The other thing I've thought of doing is to win a CL with the worst side I can think of - probably a Welsh side. But it will be a long time until that happens.

Amateur

Great read, great achievements.

Youth Team

I picked Asia and I have done South Africa before and found that quite hard so thought that would be the longest of the two remaining CLs. Although after looking at the Asian CL past winners I think that could be just as hard as most winners are from unplayable leagues.

I will continue with the same save until I get bored and go out and buy Skyrim. But until then I'm not really sure what challenge to do afterwards. I could take over Tottenham (my supported team) or Exeter (my local side).

The other thing I've thought of doing is to win a CL with the worst side I can think of - probably a Welsh side. But it will be a long time until that happens.
    You've done well so far! I'm trying SOuth Africa right now and you're right...it can be a grind.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by arnarth View Post
    Great read, great achievements.
    Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll continue the success

Quote Originally Posted by cerud View Post
    You've done well so far! I'm trying SOuth Africa right now and you're right...it can be a grind.
    If I remember right the top South African sides are not the strongest in the African CL making it quite hard to win.

Youth Team

Fair enough, I always assumed the African one would be as simple as being the best team from South Africa, but I guess the Egyptian sides are quite significantly stronger as they tend to keep quite a few of their good players in domestic football.

My end-game plan for my save is to take an Asian nation, manage a club and get the national job, and try and make them the number 1 ranked league and country in the world. Will probably take me far longer than I'd be willing to spend on it, but a goal's a goal

Amateur

Fair enough, I always assumed the African one would be as simple as being the best team from South Africa, but I guess the Egyptian sides are quite significantly stronger as they tend to keep quite a few of their good players in domestic football.

My end-game plan for my save is to take an Asian nation, manage a club and get the national job, and try and make them the number 1 ranked league and country in the world. Will probably take me far longer than I'd be willing to spend on it, but a goal's a goal
    I know what you mean, even if I do have a goal for afterwards I doubt I will finish it as I won't want to spend time on a long term goal.

Amateur

Happenings in my save:

Hart, now 38 is still Man City's #1 keeper
    Rooney, is assistant manager at Everton
    Lampard, is a coach at Newcastle
    Gerrard is assistant manager at Birmingham
    Ashley Young is a scout for Nottingham F
    Brighton are in the Premiership
    West Ham have dropped to L1, whilst Truro have climbed to the same league
    Tottenham have just moved into the Tottenham stadium
    Norway are reigning Euro Champs
    England are 13th in the world rankings, behind Belgium and Mali
    Argentina are #1 ranked team in the world

Am currently out of a job and I think it will be a few month before an Australian/Korean side will be looking for a manager so if anyone wants a screenshot or an update on a club/player then ask as I'm bored
    Last edited by Azeryk`; 22-11-2011 at 20:57.

Youth Team

I did the African CL in FM1 with a South African side, but it was mainly down to luck. Both Egypt and Tunisia have strong teams if I remember right.

Amateur

I would recommend South Korea or China. Both are very fun places to manage.

Amateur

A real interesting challenge you set yourself here and you've done a great job so far, congrats!

i'll be interested to see what club you end up at next.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by roganp View Post
    I would recommend South Korea or China. Both are very fun places to manage.
    I have set both of those countries to be loaded so if the opportunity arises it may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by City2000 View Post
    A real interesting challenge you set yourself here and you've done a great job so far, congrats!

i'll be interested to see what club you end up at next.
    Thanks for the comment

Amateur

And my new club is...........

Melbourne Heart FC

It might have taken 2/3 of the way through the season before anyone was willing to sack their manager but I am pleased with where I ended up - althought going that long unemployed was a right pain in the bum

The overall squad looks good although we do need a new DR and MR and our top scorer is on 6 goals in 17 games.

Squad Review:

League: We were predicted 2nd

Reserves

Interesting choice of nation, not the obvious one due to the recent federation switch.

Youth Team

Good luck in the A-league!

Third Team

Good luck in Australia

Amateur

Season 15
    Well with me being in-between clubs I was left with just my Brazil matches. We had the Confederations cup to keep me occupied and we did have a good chance of winning this competition although Italy and the USA would provide the main problems. We went through the group stage with ease, winning all three matches easily enough, which were against Mexico, Tunisia and reigning Euro Champs Norway. We would then face Italy in the semi-finals and had a good strong win and due to some luck would face Tunisia in the finals. I was expecting a much easier match than I got, although after they knocked out a strong USA side I should have been more cautious. We had all of the possession and shots and only managed to score in the 119th minute - and with my record in penalties I was starting to get worried. So another trophy whilst at Brazil, a great way to warm-up to the next World Cup which is only a year away at this stage.

After a bit of a wait I ended up at Melbourne Heart FC - who were struggling in 7th despite being predicted 2nd and having a fairly decent first team, which became more evident when I took them to 4th with a good record of 9 games, 7 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat - and all I did was buy a DR and ST. So I am not sure what the previous manager was doing to have a good set of players do so bad. It was enough to place us in the minor semi-final against Sydney FC which went well and we gained a strong 5-0 win. That put us in the minor final against Gold Coast United. We dominated for the entire game but a quick goal from them in the second half was enough to secure them the win. So there is it, season over for us and no Asian CL next season for us.

I think with a couple of signings we should be able to dominate the league next season as did well against nearly everyone since I took over and had some convincing victories, even against the largest side, and club rivals Melbourne Victory.

Code:
    Season     Team                League                       Position    Achievements
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Club:

2011/12    Boston United       English Blue Square North    1st         Division Champions
    2012/13    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
    2013/14    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
    2014/15    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  1st         FA Trophy Winners
    2015/16    Burnley             English Championship         1st         Division Champions
    2016/17    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         League Cup Winners
    2017/18    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         FA Cup Winners
    2018/19    Arsenal             English Premier League       2nd         Champions League, FA Cup & Community Shield Winners
    2019/20    Arsenal             English Premier League       1st         League, Champions League, World Club Cup & Community Shield Winners
    2021       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division     1st         League Champions
    2022       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division     1st         League & Copa Libertadores Champions
    2023       Sao Paulo           Brazilian First Division                 Copa Libertadores & State Champions
    2024/25    Puebla              Mexican First Division       4th/7th     Champions League & Open Season Champions
    2025/26    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          4th         KO'd in Minor Final
    Code:
    Seasons    Country             Achievements
    2016-2020  England             World Cup 2018 - First Knockouts
                                   Euro 2020 - First knockouts
    2022       Brazil              Copa America 2023 - Winners
                                   Confederations Cup - Winners

Semi Pro

'One Man, One Dream and Five Champions Leagues' my first thought was, very interesting challenge should take a good few months to complete. I open it up, start reading, reading, reading, 1 Champions League down, reading, another Champions League down, reading, another one, reading and then onto Melbourne Heart. (I think I got that right, I've lost count of how many CL's you've won! ;))

Amazing read, great career so far. Keep up the good work!

Reserves

Almost at another one already.

Youth Team

Good luck Down Under, started pretty well by the looks of things. Should be competing for the title next season

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post
    'One Man, One Dream and Five Champions Leagues' my first thought was, very interesting challenge should take a good few months to complete. I open it up, start reading, reading, reading, 1 Champions League down, reading, another Champions League down, reading, another one, reading and then onto Melbourne Heart. (I think I got that right, I've lost count of how many CL's you've won! ;))

Amazing read, great career so far. Keep up the good work!
    Haha, thanks. I've been quite lucky in terms of opportunities early on in the game as I never expected to be offered the jobs by Burnley and Arsenal.

On a side note - in my Brazil vs Holland World Cup group match, which is being held in Mexico, and only 1,018 people turned up

Amateur

I had the World Cup to occupy me tonight and aside from the low attendance it generallyW went well. The group stage was always going to be easy as we faced Holland, Canada and Japan; where we managed to score 16 goals and conceded zero. The next hurdle to overcome was Uruguay, who have slipped over the past couple of years, so a 3-0 win wasn't unexpected. The Q-Final was going to be a big test, I was to face my previous international side England, with the score at only 2-1 we had Lapa (MR) sent off but still managed a couple of late goals to make it 4-1. The S-Finals was against powerhouse Spain, the whole match was close and tbh either side could have left with the win but luckily it was us. We were into the final.

We had France in the final, again it was a close match with both sides getting similar possession, shots and shots on target. Twice we took the lead in the first half only to have France reply quickly afterwards. I was starting to dread extra time and penalties when Braga (DC) popped up in the 87th minute to get me the big one. I'd won the World Cup.

I would love to pick out a star performer but everyone done well, Jose managed to break several records whilst there for scoring 6 against Japan and is now joint top scorer at a World Cup ever (alongside Baron of France this year as well)

Squad:

Fixtures:

and lets ignore the friendly match against Romania earlier in the year

I did plan on leaving Brazil after the World Cup to move on to new areas, but after winning the last three tournaments with Brazil it's made it too hard to leave, especially as the new country would be weaker than my current team. Plus most countries looking to hire are from Europe and the Americas whereas something in Asia or Africa would have been a big temptation. So maybe I'll stay here and look to retain my crown in 4 years time.

Part-Timer

Good to see my Roar still dominant ;)

I challenge you to have a game whilst in the A-League better than this one ;)

Amateur

Great World Cup win

Thats the problem once you've managed Brazil I guess, nearly everywhere else is a step down.

Youth Team

This has been a great career and a great story so far - from the Blue Square to the World Cup! Good to see that the remove/add leagues feature works without any problems as well

Semi Pro

Well done on winning the World Cup, even though you were Brazil it's still one heck of a challenge

Youth Team

Congrats on the World Cup win

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by deadfncat View Post
    Good to see my Roar still dominant

I challenge you to have a game whilst in the A-League better than this one
    Good video and looks like one hell of a match, I beat them 1-0 last season so hoping I can top them this year. They've only won the title twice in my game, in 2024 and last season 2026.

Quote Originally Posted by City2000 View Post
    Great World Cup win

Thats the problem once you've managed Brazil I guess, nearly everywhere else is a step down.
    Exactly, and eventually you'd have to face them in a World Cup. At least with my steps down in league teams I don't have to face the former sides. I did look into the England, France and Spain jobs but my current Brazil squad looks much better than those three. I think Argentina in terms of quality are close to me but that is not really much of a move.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    This has been a great career and a great story so far - from the Blue Square to the World Cup! Good to see that the remove/add leagues feature works without any problems as well
    Add/remove has been great so far as it has allowed me to maintain a decent running speed whilst having so many different countries to manage in. The only annoying this is that you can add a league and have to wait 11 months for it to actually be added if you miss the start date.

Well done on winning the World Cup, even though you were Brazil it's still one heck of a challenge
    Thanks - I have the Copa America in 12 months time so going to blend in some youth and look to continue the success.

Congrats on the World Cup win
    Cheers!

Youth Team

Well done on a very convincing World Cup campaign. José certainly enjoyed the group stages, 10 goals in two matches!!

Amateur

No wonder so many managers have heart problems:

Part-Timer

Haha i dont think either side has ever scored that many goals in a match. I doubt the Heart have scored that many in the 2011 season to be honest :P

Youth Team

Wow what a game!

Semi Pro

Am I the only manager that misses out on these high scoring matches? It seems to be happening a lot on these forums!

Reserves

You're too solid for that.

Third Team

Congrats on the World Cup win with Brazil...as for the Wellington Phoenix - Melbourne Heart game...wow...just wow

Amateur

Am I the only manager that misses out on these high scoring matches? It seems to be happening a lot on these forums!
    entertaining yet very stressful - I've had a few now and occasionally I end up alt-tab'ing to the forums until it is all over :P

Nearly at the end of season so should be able to update soon.

Amateur

Season 16
    With how my games went when I took over towards the end of last season I was hoping to do well in my first full season. I made five more signings though, a new first team GK, ML, MR and ST and a sub MC - all of which were a vast improvement on what was already in the squad. We ended up being consistent all season because of it - consistently inconsistent - we just could not get a run of wins together to go top of the table, although this did also mean we didn't get many bad results in a row so we were usually top 4. I also couldn't figure out who our best two strikes were out of a the four in the first team squad which I don't think helped matters but none of them took charge and scored enough to keep their place. However with just 5 games to go we went top and even with a shaky last few games managed to stay top and win the regular season.

As those who have done the A-league before will know, you then go into a two leg Major Final, where we faced Brisbane Roar, the first leg was away and a very close contest which ended in a 1-1 draw. A week later came the home leg, again it was a close match and at 1-1 it was starting to get quite nervy until we got a penalty, scored it, and then defended like made. that then put us in the Grand final - where I would face............. Brisbane Roar (again!). After beating them in the major final I was confident and then after seeing that I hadn't lost to them in 8 matches (5 wins and 3 draws) I was even more confident. And this is how it ended (picture especially for deadfncat)

So with domestic success under my hat it will be the Asian CL for me next season but I will need to strengthen the first team, generally in the defence area so plenty to do over the summer. I also have the Confederations Cup with Brazil to occupy me.

Code:
    Club:

2025/26    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          4th         KO'd in Minor Final
    2026/27    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          1st         Grand Final Winners

Reserves

Fantastic win

Third Team

Brilliant Grand Final win

Youth Team

Asian Champions League next season?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Fantastic win
    Thanks - we didn't deserve the league win but can't complain at a trophy

Brilliant Grand Final win
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    Asian Champions League next season?
    I doubt it, both Australian sides did bad this year so am not confident but if I get past the group stages I'd be happy.

Amateur

Well done winning the A-League

Amateur

Copa America
    This was the reason I stayed with Brazil, the chance to win trophies instead of going to new countries and this was going to be tough, there were a lot of strong opponents and this would test my squad all the way. We had the USA, Ecuador and Chile in the group stage and we didn't get the start I was hoping for. We had a 3-3 draw with the USA when I was hoping for 3 points, although we were 1-3 down at one stage. We won against Ecuador and then only managed 1-1 against Chile, but that was somehow still enough to top our group - with a measly 5 points.

So into the knock-out we went and first up was Bolivia in the Q-Finals, probably one of the easiest teams we could of faced and we showed that with a convincing 5-0 win. The S-Finals were much tougher though as we faced Mexico, it was a fairly even match but we took our chances and won 3-1. The final was a rematch from the previous Copa America - Brazil vs Argentina - and this was one match I really was expecting to lose. And at half time with the scores at 0-0 we looked the least likely to score, they had all of the possession and all of the chance. The second half was generally the same but Carlos (ML) scored a classic smash and grab goal and then we went on the defensive until the final whistle. So another Copa America for me but one of the least convincing victories I've ever had and we could have so easily been knocked out at the group stage.

So the future for Brazil might not have been as bright as I was expecting, but we have a few friendlies coming up so I think it's time to test the 20-22 year olds and see if any of them can help.

Reserves

Cruising to glory internationally.

Amateur

Yup - will probably stay until after the next World Cup and would only be persuaded to stay longer if I retain it which is unlikely.

and as for the Asian CL - I've just seen some of the teams in the current CL semi-final....... who have individual players worth the same as my starting 11........ I really don't see how I can compete against them from Australian, or even Korea and China.

Amateur

Another trophy in the bag

Whats up with the Brazilian squad then, not as good as you thought it was or did they just underperform a bit? Mind you, always a good sign to win trophies when you aren't at your best.

Amateur

I stopped selecting a couple of the older players and I don't think the ones who replaced them are quite there yet, but I think my the next World Cup we'd be quite strong again. I have 3 decent youth strikes being tested right now as well to replace Lucas so I have three years still to get that right.

Semi Pro

Great season both at Club level and International level

Amateur

Asian CL group stage I will be facing:

Higashiosaka Rosa from Japan
    Incheon United from South Korea
    Shandong Luneng from China

The news feed says this is going to be a tough group which doesn't sound good :P Although then again it says Shandong Lungeng is "injury ravaged" when they only have 1 person injured. But it will give me a chance to test my team against the other two playable Asian leagues that I have loaded so I can see if I have a better chance of succeeding elsewhere.

On the plus side we are currently unbeaten in 20 league games and have such a big league that I can rest players if required now so at least that is in my favour.

Youth Team

I have no idea if that's a tough group or not, but good luck anyway. Still having incredible success with every team so far

Reserves

Asian CL group stage I will be facing:

Higashiosaka Rosa from Japan
    Incheon United from South Korea
    Shandong Luneng from China

The news feed says this is going to be a tough group which doesn't sound good :P Although then again it says Shandong Lungeng is "injury ravaged" when they only have 1 person injured. But it will give me a chance to test my team against the other two playable Asian leagues that I have loaded so I can see if I have a better chance of succeeding elsewhere.

On the plus side we are currently unbeaten in 20 league games and have such a big league that I can rest players if required now so at least that is in my favour.
    The fake Japanese name should be Kawasaki Frontale IRL. They shouldn't be too hard if they only got fake players. Incheon United shouldn't be too hard to handle. At least they're aren't Suwon, Seoul, or Pohang. Shandong are one of the big clubs in China, with Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou Fuli, and Guangzhou Hengda. I never managed against them in the A-League though so good luck...

Amateur

I beat Shangong 3-0 at home so things are looking up if what you said about Incheon and the fake Japanese side come true

Semi Pro

As AK said, not a clue how good that group is but you've definitely started well

Amateur

Season 17
    After winning the league last season I wanted to strengthen further and hopefully retain the league title but with a bit more dominance this time. However I only managed to sign one player, a DC/R who despite having a low value plays for the New Zealand national side - and then he went and got injured for most of the season so I basically had the same side and the same tactics. Not really the improvement I was after. The results on the other hand did improve, so much that we went the entire season unbeaten! 22 wins and 5 draws saw us smash most club and league records, which included striker Ben Hughes scoring 30 goals in 28 games, and that is despite not looking like he has the quality to either. The finals series went the same, we hammered Sydney FC in the first leg and then still managed to win the in second leg despite resting several players for an Asian CL game. The final was against Gold Coast United and ended in a 2-0 victory in which we never looked like losing. So a very happy season for me, there were plenty of times when we were behind in games and the players had to be shouted at to drag it back to a draw but I couldn't really ask for more.....

...... well I can, like the Australian league title to be added to my bibliography :P

This season was also my first time in the Asian Champions League, in which I have doubts we can come close to competing for many seasons, but we were going to give it our all and see what happens. We went in at the group stage we mentioned in a previous posting, and done well, 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat - which was a 2-3 lose to Incheon, a very close game which could have gone the other way and that was my only defeat this season. In the second round we faced Guangzhou Hengda, the Chinese champions, at home, a good chance to test my team against the best China can offer, and it turned out to not be much of a test at all. A 2-0 win which saw us have all of the action and should have scored more tbh.

So into the Q-Finals I go and this is where I am expecting to face one of the hard Asian sides, but I have to wait several months before I find out who I will face and by then the new season will have started.

Code:
    Club:

2026/27    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          1st         Grand Final Winners
    2027/28    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          1st         Grand Final Winners

Youth Team

Very dominant A-League season

Staying unbeaten, and winning the league by 25 points, is impressive stuff.

Youth Team

Great domestic dominance! What do you think the long term plan is for the Asian CL if you're not competitive? I'm not sure what the structure of the A-league permits in terms of budgets and youth development.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Very dominant A-League season

Staying unbeaten, and winning the league by 25 points, is impressive stuff.
    Thanks, including the end of last season it's 30 games unbeaten, and if you add the finals series and regular seasons together it 36 games unbeaten. Not quite sure how it happened, I don't think I'll be lucky enough to do it again though.

Great domestic dominance! What do you think the long term plan is for the Asian CL if you're not competitive? I'm not sure what the structure of the A-league permits in terms of budgets and youth development.
    Am not sure, having played the best teams in South Korea and China I know I am better or equal to the best in those league so I don't think a move to either countries would change much. The A-league doesn't bring much money in and before I reached the CL; I was running my wages £15,000 per week under the budget just to keep the club afloat - only Melbourne Victory has a decent average attendance and they don't seem to spend much.

Now I've reached the Cl I'm gaining money but I think it would be a few seasons before the board would really increase the wage structure enough to bring in better players.

As for youths, most of my players are under 24 years old and still have time to improve which is a good sign. I have a striker called Josh Jones who's value has jumped from £100k to £1.1M since he got into the Australian first team but he's refusing to sign a new contract. The rest of my youths are average but I've improved all of the coaching staff to try and bring more players through the ranks.

and I've been rejecting bids for my players for the whole of last season, I'm surprised I've not had problems with players demanding I accept them.

Amateur

We've been drawn to face Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia in the Asian CL Q-Finals.

They have 11 players valued at £1M+ and I have just 1.

Home leg is first, if I can get a rest there I should stand a chance though.

Amateur

Olympics
    I had a few months to waste in-between seasons and the chance to enter the Olympics as the Brazil U23 side appeared which seemed perfect. It would give me a chance to have a good look at the upcoming youths which could appear in my future Brazil side. Plus it would also give me a chance to win another trophy.

In the group stage we faced Spain first, probably one of the hardest sides I would face in the contest which ended in a 2-2 draw. New Zealand came up next which was much easier and allowed us to get a 5-0 victory. China was our final group opponent and a win here would have us go through to the knock outs - the performance was bad and we should have whooped them but in the end a couple of very late goals gave us a 3-1 win.

We had Italy in the Q-Finals,a close match was in order, and that is what we got until I gained a red card whcih gave them enough possession to get more shots and ultimately the victory. We went down 1-2 in the match - so much for getting another trophy.

Amateur

You can't win em all I guess, even with Brazil!

Great domination of the A League, I have no idea about the quality of the Asian CL but good luck

As a matter of interest how much money do you get from the Asian CL?

Amateur

Asian Champions League

First Leg: We were home and I was looking to take advantage of that and hopefully get a small victory to then defend in the second leg. We started brightly and althought the skill difference was evident we were giving it our best and matching them for possession and shots. Wonder youth Josh Jones gave us the lead after 19 minutes and then we let them back in it just before half time by conceding an own goal. A few changes were made in the second half and we continued to push forward and was rewarded by a second goal after 80 minutes from centre back Richard Smith. But again we let them back into the game and they equalised in the 91st minute. So 2-2 it ended, which truth be told, was better than I was expecting.

Second Leg: So off to Saudi Arabia we went and attacked from the opening whistle, I was expecting them to dominate us on their own turf but we fought hard but went in at half time with the scores goal-less. They were first to draw blood when they found the back of the net after 61 minutes which promoted a triple substitutions from me as we looked to get back into the match. We were rewarded in the 80th minute when top scorer Ben Hughes scored. We tried hard but couldn't find the all important goal which would take us into the Semi-finals.

So the adventure is over for this year, we did better than expected once we faced one of the harder sides, Al Ahli had won the Asian CL a couple of seasons before so I knew they were going to be the team to beat if we were to win the whole thing. A couple of signings would be brilliant but Australian sides cannot make transfers between each other and the league and CL both have foreign player limits which is making it very hard to actually find improvements. I have managed to sign Josh Jones to a multi-year contract so I won't be losing him anytime soon.

Reserves

Almost there now.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by deltablue View Post
    Almost there now.
    I think were a good couple of seasons away still which doesn't bode well and I am not the most patient of managers on FM :P

Amateur

Asian CL Group:

Giurare Yokohama from Japan
    Shandong from China
    Suwon from S.Koera

It starts in three days and all four first-team strikers are injured with the main two out for another two months

Semi Pro

Amazing stuff since I last read!

Amateur

Thanks

Been KO'd from the CL at group stage this time around, my squad was big enough to deal with so many long term injuries

Need to do a proper update but won the Australian regular season and finals series again, both for the third time in a row. Getting frustrating now as we are doing so well domestically and yet are struggling continentally.
    Last edited by Azeryk`; 30-11-2011 at 21:48.

Third Team

A very impressive first outing in the AFC Champions League,keep up the good work

Amateur

Season 18
    How the years fly by.......... and how my PC slows after each one.

After last seasons unbeaten season I was looking to see just how long I could go without losing a match again - it turned out not very long at all. We lost 3-1 to Adelaide in the first game of the season; and went on to lose a number of games as the season went on. Despite that we were still able to win the league without too many difficulties and even mid-season when I had no fit strikers I was still getting points in league matches. The finals series went just as easily, as faced Gold Coast United in the major final, a 1-1 draw in the away leg which had many of my first team rested whilst they assaulted the Champions League, the home leg was more convincing, a 3-2 victory where we conceded sloppy goals. The final would be against Adelaide United - where we got revenge for them ending the winning streak with a nice 2-0 win. So domestically we seem to dominate, it's a shame I can't buy the better players off of the other teams in my league.

The Champions league was a disaster, for us to complete we need a fully fit squad playing at their best, last season we forced two draws from Al-Ahli (who ended up winning the CL) so we can win. So just weeks before the competition we got multiple long term injuries ,my three best strikers were all out for 2-4 months and all missed the first 5 group stage matches - those 5 matches we got only 2 draws and 3 defeats. Knocking us out of the competition, my players returned for the final match and we made sure we went out with a bang, a 5-2 victory which showed just how much I had missed those players. Infact we'd only scored 4 goals in the previous 5 matches.

On another plus note the board are quite happy with me, enough to improve training facilities, youth facilities and arrange a trial day. The down side is that they won't even let me ask them to increase the transfer budget, the club and league reputation have improved since I joined as we can now attract players much better than my wage budget can accommodate.

Josh Jones:
    Now worth more than the rest of my squad combined and is now subject to £4M+ bids

Code:
    Club:

2027/28    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          1st         Grand Final Winners
    2028/29    Melbourne Heart     Australian A League          1st         Grand Final Winners

Amateur

I reach 1,000 games and not even a news post

Semi Pro

I reach 1,000 games and not even a news post
    Which team were you playing on your 1,000th game and what day were you playing on?
    Last edited by HotChocolate; 01-12-2011 at 21:52.

Amateur

It might have been a friendly for Brazil against Cyprus on 06/06/2029

Semi Pro

It might have been a friendly for Brazil against Cyprus on 06/06/2029
    It may have been because it was a friendly but never the less, you deserve it!

Amateur

Haha, thanks HotChocolate

Third Team

Congrats on another Grand Final win and reaching 1000 games.Ashame to see things didn't go to plan in the Asian CL due to injuries to your strikers

Amateur

I've had a bit of catching up to do, well done on your last two A-League Championships

Amateur

How have I never noticed this? Fantastic read, hopefully next year your CL draws will do you a bit more of a favour.

Youth Team

Tough luck in the Champions League, but well done on winning the A-League again.

Amateur

Congrats on another Grand Final win and reaching 1000 games.Ashame to see things didn't go to plan in the Asian CL due to injuries to your strikers
    Cheers - I plan a full on assault next season, plenty of new signings in midfield and up front to make sure it never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by roganp View Post
    I've had a bit of catching up to do, well done on your last two A-League Championships
    Thanks - Australia has short seasons and no domestic cup so am flying through time right now

Quote Originally Posted by offen94 View Post
    How have I never noticed this? Fantastic read, hopefully next year your CL draws will do you a bit more of a favour.
    An easier group would have been nice, rivals Melbourne Victory were also in the CL this season and their group looked so easy

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    Tough luck in the Champions League, but well done on winning the A-League again.
    Thanks, am hoping for better times this season

Amateur

Beijing of China went on to win the Asian CL - which rubs salt into the wounds as they are weaker than me and I would be disappointed if I lost to them

Although proves the Chinese league may be the place to go if I can't achieve the goal in Australia.

Amateur

My Asian CL Group:

Busan (S.Korea)
    Higashiosaka Rosa (Japan)
    Shandong (China)

So again I get a tough group but I have a stronger squad this season so should go through. I've also done well enough in the league to rest players for the CL games.

My World Cup Group for Brazil in the upcoming summer, world rankings are in the brackets:

Australia (27)
    Mexico (10)
    Germany (13)

So an easy enough group in my attempt to retain the gold

Amateur

Group stage went well, 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats (both to Busan) put us through in second place. We faced Jeonbuk from South Korea away from home in the second round and had a very entertaining game which ended in a 7-2 victory.

Now for a 3-month wait to see who I face in the Q-Finals.

Semi Pro

The World Cup group is a hard group, but then again you are Brazil, so anything is easy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast